Popup menus and windows move behind app window in XP

All first-level popup windows, whether they be right-click menus, "What's
this" context popups, drop-down selection boxes, are disappearing behind the
application window or dialog box being displayed a second or two after being
displayed.  This behavior is limited to Windows XP and never happens when out
product is used with Windows 2000.  Sometimes the windows do not disappear.
When they do, it is only the portion of the window that overlays our
application window or a dialog being displaying.  It is as if the application
window or dialog is being redrawn and the order of which window is topmost is
changed.  Even though the window is drawn behind the frame it overlays, all
items are still selectable so the popup itemis still on top, but its image
has been drawn behind.

Our application presents as a floating toolbar and does have the topmost
flag set so that it never disappears behind other applications.  (It is used
in concert with other applications and must be visible at all times.)  It can
also be docked as an AppBar to the top and bottom of the screen.  Docking
does not change the aberrant behavior of the popup items.

Is anyone aware of a difference between Windows 2000 and XP that would
explain the bad behavior under XP?  Again, we have no such problems with
Windows 2000.  Any suggestions for the cause and especially a work-around
would be greatly appreciated.
0
sk8boi (5)
10/20/2004 6:53:07 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Upgrading to 9.0 on Windows Server 2003 64bit Edition
We are upgrading from 7.0 to 9.0. We have new SQL Servers on which we will perform the upgrade and move into production once complete replacing our existing servers. These SQL Servers are running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition. When attempting to install either GP v7.0 or v7.5 the error message "The image file ...\CDSetup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine." is presented and the installation script will not initialize. Is it possible to install GP 7.0 or 7.5 on the 64bit version of Windows Server 2003 or must we install the 32 bit v...

moving messages from outlook express to outlook
I am trying to move messages from outlook express version 6 to outlook 2003. When I export from outlook express, there is no indication where the export file is stored. Is there a way to move messages or will I have to email them to myself? Thanks ...

Moving the Area of Interest across the Video Sequence
Hello, I am capturing a live acquisition of image 1280*1024 and defined a subwindow or Area of Interest (AOI) of size 1280*40 using MFC programming .I want to move this AOI across the 1280*1024 window (across the video sequence). I am thinking of using a timer or a for loop so that it will iterate on each of the frames of the video. Can anyone please kindly help me regarding this. Thanks in advance James. ...

Removing RAID controller at XP boot up
I installed a pci card with two ATA 133 HD drive ports it came with drivers, I think I installed the wrong driver (RAID instead of straight). Cant get rid of the Marvel Raid control because it comes up before boot and has presumably tucked itself in the bios somewhere. Is there a solution? Perhaps reflashing the bios? Charlie+ "Charlie+" <charlie@xxx.net> wrote in message news:k47mq55qel8a848nl8u1l7rp31uvvdhg4m@4ax.com... > I installed a pci card with two ATA 133 HD drive ports it came with > drivers, > I think I installed the wrong driver (RAID inste...

Message tracking not work on XP SP2
Message tracking is not working on Windows XP SP2. I've tried System Manager 2000 and 2003 with the same result. Message searching will started, but is still running without result. After uninstalling SP2 it's working fine! On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 05:26:05 -0700, Pol <Pol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Message tracking is not working on Windows XP SP2. I've tried System Manager >2000 and 2003 with the same result. Message searching will started, but is >still running without result. After uninstalling SP2 it's working fine! Your workstation needs to be abl...

Exchange 5.5 in Windows 2000 Domain
HI I am looking for any advise I can get on this subject, or any references you may have. Basically I have an NT4 PDC that currently has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. I have a windows 2000 Database server that is just a member server of hte domain. My NT4 machine is running out of space, so I am getting a new server for exchange. I will install Windows 2000 on this server and then follow the Ed Crowley Server Move method, to move my exchange server over to this new machine. I am comfortable with this. I have just now installed an NT4 BDC into the domain (it is only a very old machine so it ...

Archiving of Windows Live Mail
Can someone please point me to a procedure that will explain how to off load a bunch of emails that I want to keep but do not want in the active WLM folders. Seems like in the Outlook Express days there was a way but I have long since forgot what I did. Help appreciated. You could create a folder(s) on the Desktop and just drag messages into it. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:EB7EFBBB-12DA-4CAF-A02C-556B10A60C58@microsoft.com... > Can someone please poin...

How to export address book from Outlook XP to Outlook Express?
Does anyone know how I can export my Address Book from Outlook to Outlook express? Outlook Address Book is a .pab file. In outlook express click on File / Import / Other address books / Select outlook .pab file and you should be all set. I hope this helps thanks! "Candice" <bowns_candice@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00a101c3cfba$7878b870$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how I can export my Address Book from > Outlook to Outlook express? > > Candice <bowns_candice@hotmail.com> wrote: > Does anyone know how I can export my Address Book f...

Export News from Outlook express and import into windows mail
I only used outlook express for newsgroup so I need to backup and transfer all the messages that I flagged with the glasses icon. I just installed windows mail and it only downloaded the first 1000 messages. I can't see all of my messages because some of them they are old ... maybe 2002 but i need them all in the same place. How can I transfer these messages and the replies to windows mail? Outlook Express as well as other newsreaders only mirror what is on a news server and newsgroups neither import nor export. You can only export the account setting, but not groups or...

how can I use my e-mail addresses on excel xp with microsoft outlo
I need to use my addresses on Excel xp with Microsoft outlook. I want to use my excel file as a database that I can change and improve everyday. I need to send mails to more than 1 contact, so creating an e.mail link is not enough for me: in fact, if I click on it, I send my mail only to 1 address... Txs See http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Cat" <Cat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7A9A930-6846-4071-8714-ED9CC50CD79F@microsoft.com... > > I need to use my addresses on E...

Windows XP
I have a windows xp sp3 machine where there free space goes down to a fixed amount after a reset. Let me explain: I boot the machine (a 40GB HD divided in a 36GB and a 4GB partition), The 4GB partition shows only 600MB free, I run CHKDSK /F D: and it fixes the free space to 2 GB, I reset and it goes back to 600. The same situation is for the 36GB partition where it shows 4GB free but if I boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk c: /p it fixes the free space to 18GB but as soon as I reset the free space goes back to 4GB, so the same thing happens if chkdsk runs at boot. Win...

How to reduce thickness/width of window borders two "normal" 2 pixels?
On a certain WinXP all borders of all windows are very, very thick/width. Have a look at the following snapshot: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9364/capture20091215121445.png What is the reason resp. how can I reduce it to the "normal" size of (approx. 2 pixels) ? Camille Camille Petersen wrote: > On a certain WinXP all borders of all windows are very, very thick/width. > > Have a look at the following snapshot: > > http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9364/capture20091215121445.png > > What is the reason resp. how can I reduce it to the &...

Custom App for RMS
Hello all, I am a medium size retailer on the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I work for a watersports company called REAL Kiteboarding. We are a kiteboarding retail shop and also teach kiteboarding camps and lessons. Currently we are using Yahoo calendar to manage our camp/lesson schedule with our current POS. I have just figured setting up RMS SO and HQ to get our store running on a better POS system then what we have. I am now looking for a way to integrate a custom calendar/ booking solution with RMS to make bookings of our camps and lessons easier and more fail safe. Would any of ...

How do I restore the cell content window on my toobar?
tools options view ........formula bar -- Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "hutchc" <hutchc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A53F690-97D4-43D6-A458-6AA82B95F575@microsoft.com... > From the View menu, choose Formula Bar hutchc wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Launch folder windows in separate processe
The setting as in subject selected under Control Panel -> Folder Options More than one windows explorer open. Each of them opened in other folder. One of them opened for search function. However, if investigating with Task Manager all windows explorer windows lead to the same explorer process (task right click -> Go to process). The list "Processes" of task manager presents only one explorer window. So the setting as mentioned above not really functional. What's the reason? kakii wrote: > > The setting as in subject selected under Control Panel ...

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
Just a quick question, I am wondering if anyone else is having problems downloading Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. I can download/install it from the Windows Update site but, it will not install using Automatic Updates. This is obviously not a serious problem but, I would like to solve it if possible. Rick Never such a problem here. Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. What anti-virus application or sec...

Picture Behind Text
I am trying to place a photo overtop of a text box but it is covering up the text. i want the text to show though the photo. how do i do this? Rob K wrote: > I am trying to place a photo overtop of a text box but it is covering > up the text. i want the text to show though the photo. how do i do > this? ==================================== Which version of Publisher? Place the text box on top of the picture. If you see an unwanted white background behind the text... select the text box and type...Ctrl+T...to make it transparent. -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital ...

SendInput to a window belonging to another application thread
I'm trying to develop a simple application that can send input to a window belonging to another application thread, such as the microsoft on screen keyboard. The matter is that I don't understand how to know what was the last active window to which send the input from my dialog application. Looking on internet I've found a simple application called "Typematic" but it hide the application dialog before use the SendInput() api, it works well but I wish to obtain the same effect without hide the application dialog as the on screen keyboard does. How I could do it? Ho...

Moving through sheets
How can I move through worksheets without having to clic the tab. I would like to see a list of worksheets name and select the one that I want to activate or see. I am looking for some command similar to the Find command where I can write data and Excel looks for it in the sheet, or something like the Go to command where I can choose from a list of Worksheet names. This is because I have a file of more than 50 worksheets and it isn't easy navigate through them. Thanks, Ivette Ivette If you right-click on the sheet navigation arrows at bottom left of status bar you will get a pop-...

Hyper-Threading Technology for XP with Excel 2000
Attention to: Microsoft Expert My computer setting is Dual-XEON 2.66, 1GB RAM with Windows XP Professional. Hyper-Threading Technology is enabled, therefore, I am able to see four logical Processors. However, when I open single Excel 2000 spreadsheet for calculation, it consumes 25% of CPU and 130MB RAM on computing resources. If I disable Hyper- Threading Technology, then it displays only 2 CPU processors only, and I try to run the same single Excel 2000 spreadsheet for calculation, it consumes 50% of CPU, of course, the speed of calculation is faster. Could you tell me why Hype...

Richedit in Asian Language Window
Hi all, I'm working on a application using richedit (V3.0) to display some text containing special character (i.e. ASCII > 128). It work fine in English Window, all those characters can display correctly. When I try to run the program in W2K(Traditional Chinese). All these character will "combine" with next character to form a double byte letter. For Example: "ABC?BDE" will display as "ABC?DE" in Chinese W2K Why the behavious of richedit is different in different OS? And How can I display the text correctly? Many Thx. Marco Marco Hung schrieb: > ...

How do I get email in Outlook Express on an XP machine into Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 Machine?
The instructions for importing Outlook Express files from another machine assume that Outlook Express can be run on the target machine. I don't believe there is a way to do that on a Windows 2007 machine. So How do I accomplish this? On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:03:05 -0800, MikeH <mikeh@somewhere.net> wrote: > The instructions for importing Outlook Express files from another > machine assume that Outlook Express can be run on the target machine. I > don't believe there is a way to do that on a Windows 2007 machine. So > How do I accomplish this? F...

SBS 2008 Reboot
I have a client who needed to reboot their server this AM (we couldn't log onto RWW, when this happens, they reboot. It happens once every couple of months.) Upon rebooting, they called and are telling me they are getting a windows titled "Windows Complete PC Restore". Why would this come up on a normal reboot? Did they have a failure of some sort? Can we get by this screen to get the server back online? I thought I would try here first, as I cannot get to the site until later this afternoon. Thank you in advance. -- Ron Anthony Quinn Is the SBS2008 DVD ...

Help! Appointments all moved by an hour!
Hi Everyone... I have Exchange Server 2003 on an Windows Server 2003 box. Latest updates for everything, but the time change moved all of my appointments on some calendars by 1 hour! Not all calendars were effected. I see there is a knowledgebase article on it, but it applies to the Jerusalem time zone, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867475/, not sure if I can use it or not... anyone else experience this problem in the Eastern United States, Daylight Savings Time... anyone else had the same issue? Thanks for any help? Yes, I am having the same issue with the president of the comp...