playing windows default sounds

Hi,

How would i go about playing a sound as specified in the control
panel->sounds for a persons system?
I need to play the asterix sound, or what ever the windows user has
specified it to be.

TIA

joe
#

0
joey
9/14/2003 9:20:33 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

joey wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How would i go about playing a sound as specified in the control
>panel->sounds for a persons system?
>I need to play the asterix sound, or what ever the windows user has
>specified it to be.

 From MSDN <Playing Sounds Specified in the Registry>:

PlaySound("MouseAsterisk", NULL, SND_SYNC);

The sound events that are predefined by the system can vary with the
platform. The following list gives the sound events that are defined for
all implementations of the Win32 API:

SystemAsterisk
SystemExclamation
SystemExit
SystemHand
SystemQuestion
SystemStart

Regards,
Danny

0
dsp (13)
9/14/2003 9:50:12 PM
where can i find a full list of predefined sounds for the different win
OS's?

I checked under PlaySound docs, but didnt find...

joe
#

"Danny Springer" <dsp@knoware.nl> wrote in message
> joey wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >How would i go about playing a sound as specified in the control
> >panel->sounds for a persons system?
> >I need to play the asterix sound, or what ever the windows user has
> >specified it to be.
> >

>  From MSDN <Playing Sounds Specified in the Registry>:
>
> PlaySound("MouseAsterisk", NULL, SND_SYNC);
>
> The sound events that are predefined by the system can vary with the
> platform. The following list gives the sound events that are defined for
> all implementations of the Win32 API:
>
> SystemAsterisk
> SystemExclamation
> SystemExit
> SystemHand
> SystemQuestion
> SystemStart
>
> Regards,
> Danny

0
MSForum_2 (40)
9/15/2003 7:27:34 AM
Joey wrote:

>where can i find a full list of predefined sounds for the different win
>OS's?
>
>I checked under PlaySound docs, but didnt find...

Search "Playing Sounds Specified in the Registry" and you will find the
documentation.

Regards,
Danny

0
dsp (13)
9/15/2003 5:35:43 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/multimed/htm/_win32_playsound.asp

Doesn't actually specify what valid sound alaisis are.

Why does MSDN have to be so incomplete!

joe
#

> Joey wrote:
>
> >where can i find a full list of predefined sounds for the different win
> >OS's?
> >
> >I checked under PlaySound docs, but didnt find...
> >
> Search "Playing Sounds Specified in the Registry" and you will find the
> documentation.
>
> Regards,
> Danny

0
joey
9/16/2003 7:19:45 AM
joey wrote:

>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/multimed/htm/_win32_playsound.asp
>
>Doesn't actually specify what valid sound alaisis are.

In "my MSDN" is written:
SystemAsterisk
SystemExclamation
SystemExit
SystemHand
SystemQuestion
SystemStart

I think that's all there is, maybe you have to locate them in the
header-files and check if there are more.

>Why does MSDN have to be so incomplete!

Sorry, I'm not the author ;-) .

Danny

0
dsp (13)
9/17/2003 6:55:01 PM
yeah, i found it now, it appears in the VS.net local MSDN docs, but not in
the online docs!

joe
#

> joey wrote:
>

>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/multimed/h
tm/_win32_playsound.asp

> >Doesn't actually specify what valid sound alaisis are.
> >
> In "my MSDN" is written:
> SystemAsterisk
> SystemExclamation
> SystemExit
> SystemHand
> SystemQuestion
> SystemStart
>
> I think that's all there is, maybe you have to locate them in the
> header-files and check if there are more.
>
> >Why does MSDN have to be so incomplete!
> >
> Sorry, I'm not the author ;-) .
>
> Danny

0
MSForum_2 (40)
9/18/2003 8:45:59 AM
Joey wrote:

>yeah, i found it now, it appears in the VS.net local MSDN docs, but not in
>the online docs!

Ah, that's why.

Regards,
Danny

0
ReMove
9/20/2003 9:36:43 PM
@***ReMove wrote:

> Joey wrote:
>
>> yeah, i found it now, it appears in the VS.net local MSDN docs, but
>> not in
>> the online docs!
>>
> Ah, that's why.
>
> Regards,
> Danny

Forget this message, changed my mail address because of 400 virusses a
day..........

0
ReMove
9/20/2003 9:38:21 PM
sorry, just testing

@ReMove wrote:

> @***ReMove wrote:
>
>> Joey wrote:
>>
>>> yeah, i found it now, it appears in the VS.net local MSDN docs, but
>>> not in
>>> the online docs!
>>>
>> Ah, that's why.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Danny
>

> Forget this message, changed my mail address because of 400 virusses a
> day..........

0
dsp6179 (2)

Planning Lead time-Item Vendors Maintenance window
Previously used manufacturing and MRP in v9 and the Planning Lead time on the Item Vendors Maintenance window (bottom left corner), we used to enter 7 for the number of days in 1 week. MRP then suggested to place PO's using these 7 days as one week. Now when we enter 35 for example ( V9 calculated 5 weeks for placing the PO) Now since V10 it looks like it is calculating 7 weeks lead time (35 days divided by 5 days) Did something change with V10 on this field and how MRP uses it with the Request Resolution window? thanks! -- Doug The system now looks at calendars and can conside...

Error message in windows mail 12-21-09
I just set up my account and the existing messages imported fine, but when I try to send mail I get the following error: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'new e-mail', Account: 'mail.td-wm.com', Server: 'mail.td-wm.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Please help. Double check that all your account settings are correct. If they are, then e-mail scanning is a likely...

Will Publisher 97 work with later versions of windows?
just wondering if publisher 97 will work with later versions of windows such as XP or ME and suchlike? Jon Yes... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://dgl.microsoft.com/ http://mvps.org/msauer/ "belly483" <belly483@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00a801c34c73$dd061820$a101280a@phx.gbl... > just wondering if publisher 97 will work with later > versions of windows such as XP or ME and suchlike? > > Jon Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from belly483 <belly483@hotmail.com> > just wondering if publisher 97 will wo...

Want Input boxes to accept unicode strings on Standard Windows XP
I have a MFC application that is currently built with MBCS mode. If I run the program on a Chinese OS (Windows XP), the input boxes (Edit Controls) can accept Chinese chars and display correctly. If I run it on a standard English XP, the input boxes won't accept Chinese chars (display as "????") -- please note that I have already installed CKJ on the system and IE and Outlook can display Chinese correctly. Is this just because of different MFC libraries used for the application? Can I force the application running on Standard XP to use the unicode libraries so ...

Excel 2000 running on Windows XP SP2 does not properly open CSV fi
The same file opened in using Excel 2000 running in Windows 2000 Pro open properly. The rows and columns are formatted properly. The same Excel 2000 opening the same CSV file but on Windows XP SP2 will not properly format the rows and columns. Hi check your regionals ettings in Windows ('Start - Control Panel') I'd suspect you have different column delimiters specified (comas versus semicolons for example) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Oscar" <Oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4985F8F5-5D33-425E-989C-65529CE63D05@mic...

Setting up OWA with Windows Certificate
Hi everyone, I need to configure my OWA to make use of a certificate generated by a Windows 2003 server for an Exchnage 2003 server. I know how to do this using third party (Verisign) certs but I need to find a free solution. If you could point me to the correct documentation it would be very much appreciated. Many thanks, Jose One of your options would be to use your own Certificate Authority. You can install this from the Win2k3 Server CD. With that you can generate your own certificate just like verisign. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers...

scripting adding obj-users and mdb-use-defaults to exchange 5.5 users
I have successfully created a script for creating exchange 5.5 users. I can't however, figure out how to add the assoc-nt-account to the obj-users [pseudo attribute] or set MDB-Use-Defaults to True :-( Can anyone offer advice on how to do this [other than generate a CSV file and use the exchange admin tool to import it]? Thanks Wayne ...

Windows Mail
I have recently got Windows Mail. I keep getting a message saying to create an association for the program I am trying to open, (Microsoft Powerpoint). Windows Vista. I can get into Set Associations, but dont know what to do after that. Help You really should have opened your own thread . . . . . Go to Start - Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs - see list of programs on left - select Windows Mail - on right, just below the "pane", you should see "This program has all its defaults". If not, select the second green arrow at bottom, "Choose d...

Macro to open print window and set to print entire workbook
I need help getitng a macro created to open the print window, then se it to 'print the entire workbook'. Then the macro would stop. At whic the user would then specify additional specs for printing. I.E. # o pages, paper size etc. I am trying to default the 'print entire work book option' withou restricting the user from other print specs. I have a macro that will print once a button is clicked on th spreadsheet but it goes directly to print and does not let the user se other specs. I.E. # of pages, etc. Thanks in advanc -- retseor ---------------------------------------...

Windows 7 x64 msnmsgr.exe crash
When Windows Live Messenger starts up when I log in, I very often get an application crash. Details are: Source Windows Live Messenger Summary Stopped working Date ‎3/‎31/‎2010 19:53 Status Report sent Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: BEX Application Name: msnmsgr.exe Application Version: 14.0.8089.726 Application Timestamp: 4a6ce533 Fault Module Name: unknown Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Offset: 10100002 Exceptio...

Center Access2007 Form in the middle of access Main Window
Thank You Is there any easy way to center access 2007 forms in the middle of the screen (Monitor) or access main window. and give me good result Hello, I think there is no built in feature to achieve this goal. You may need to create a new form and configure it as the main window. You could enumerate forms and create buttons etc to open forms from this main form. For example, you could use hte following code enumerate forms in your database: Dim db As Database Set db = CurrentDb Set cntContainer = db.Containers("Forms") For Each doc In cntContainer.Documents Str...

.wmv files will not play directly from my email attachments but ..
..wmv files will not play directly from my email attachments but they will play when I save it to my desktop. I tried the troubleshooting suggestion on the Windows Media website. i.e. go to tools, options, file types and de-select midi file, click on Apply. then re-select midi file and click on ok. But that did not fix the problem. It won't work, then. There's something in how the program is handing the link off to WMP that WMP doesn't like. You don't mention the email program - I believe some use a protocol/method/somesuch that WMP doesn't understand. =...

Windows 7 slow LAN connectivity
It's really annoying that when you connect two computers to a WiFi AP and try to copy files between them it takes ages to copy anything and is slow beyond any reason. Even when I connected one of them via wire it's still terribly slow and even freezes from time to time. One of the PCs is XP the other runs 7 Ultimate. I already disabled that thing that checks for connection errors or something but still no joy. yaro yaro137 wrote: > It's really annoying that when you connect two computers to a WiFi > AP and try to copy files between them it takes ages to copy > a...

How do I create an A3 size document using Windows 7
A3 is not listed in the pre-set schedule of document sizes in Windows 7 (unlike previous versions of Windows). How do I create such a document using Windows 7? Does your printer support A3? Word/Windows will display the paper sizes supported by the default (or currently active) printer. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "A3 documents in Windows 7" <A3 documents in Windows 7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2647F06-5560-41A6-9C2F-462E6198C989@microsoft.com... > A3 is ...

CSV, Milliseconds default formatting of mm:ss.0
When I generate some CSV files I need to include milliseconds. When anyone opens the file in Excel (in my case part of Office 2003, SP2) the datetimes appear with a default formatting of mm:ss.0. This is frustrating and appears unprofessional on my part when clients open the file. They assume I have made some sort of mistake. I have already thought of generating using =DATE(blah)+TIME(blah)+millis/(24*60*60*1000) but I don't like the idea. How can I change the default format so that it would be something more sensible and my clients and I could avoid the drudgery of clicking on the...

Attachments in Windows Mail
Somehow I changed all my old attachments to PDF, I can't open anything without going to Adobe Photoshop.....What did I do??? how can I fix them back??? "jay jay" <jay jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4B8E2DB-67F3-4C65-8D45-14CBDAF0101D@microsoft.com... > Somehow I changed all my old attachments to PDF, I can't open anything > without going to Adobe Photoshop.....What did I do??? how can I fix them > back??? ...

Changing Default Contacts List for E-mail
I have two separate Contacts lists open. When I go to select names for the e-mail addresses, Outlook always defaults to the wrong list, and I have to manually select the other one. How can I change the default list that shows up when I click on the "to:" header field in an e- mail? Outlook version? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Michael Leu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:056501...

Security descriptors in Windows Server 2003
Hello Expert(s) In windows 2003 SP2 server if we run "chkdsk /f" in data volume then the Chkdsk.exe utility incorrectly identifies and resets security descriptors to default value. Do you have any idea how to fix that issue because in my environment there servers with more than 500 GB data and needs chkdsk /f to be run. Cheers, AD The CHKDSK utility incorrectly identifies and deletes in-use security descriptors http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831374/ -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Pr...

CRM 4 Advance Finds with Windows 7
I have for some time been using CRM4 with windows 7 (RC and RTM) and have found one problem. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and found a resolution yet. When in an advance find it will hang when selecting a pick list. For example. Open advanced find, Select Activities and use saved view [new] In the details select ActivityStatus as the Field, select equals and then click the three dots to chose the values. Select any values then click OK. At this point the page still says 'enter value' and alot of the page can not be clicked on. This will always happen on a new adv...

linked pages not working properly in mspub2000 for windows
Hi, On a pc, I created a 31 page document possibly done in Pub.98 that functioned perfectly. Now, while trying to edit/revise that document on a new computer in Pub 2000, finding that when I add new/additional text, instead of the text linking to the next page, it links to a page at the end of the document. For example, I am typing on page 20 and instead of the text continuing onto page 21, it jumps to the end of the document (page 31) I have tried to create links between pg 21 & 22, but can't create a link- I get a message that there is 'text'. It will only link to a bla...

Display Screen 1/2 Grid; 1/2 VBE (or at least Code Window)
Is there a way (button, command, etc) to be able to view (quickly, and side by side) a my worksheet (only 1 workbook is open say) and my code window? If you just want to look at macros do a cltr+' (key to left of 1). John North Yorkshire UK "Jim May" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message news:Fqb7d.10064$0j.2648@lakeread07... > Is there a way (button, command, etc) to be able to view (quickly, and > side > by side) > a my worksheet (only 1 workbook is open say) and my code window? > > Jim With Excel workbook open to the sheet of your choice and VBE o...

windows audio service stops
xp pro sp2 windows audio service does not start even it is set to automatic. can hear sound in speakers but cant control it. speaker in sys tray not available. Farhan Where do you see it set at "automatic"...Try run,type: services.msc In msc,scroll to windows audio,double click,start service,set to auto, locate the section that tells xp to restart if it stops,set to restart service. Also,if that service is corrupted,and maybe others,open event viewer & get OS details... "Farhan" wrote: > xp pro sp2 > > windows audio service ...

Change default for opening Outlook 2007
I don't want to go into the inbox when opening Outlook. I want to go into the calendar. I searched and found Microsoft's suggestion at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010347711033.aspx but I kept getting an error that the target I had typed was not valid. How can I go directly into the Calendar portion of Outlook without going into the inbox? Start Outlook and then select Tools | Options | Other tab | Advanced Options button | Browse button to set what folder you want Outlook to show first when starting. "marriedhsdad" <marriedhsdad@discussion...

how to activate the Windows-XP zipper
Hi NG When you install WinZip and you don't care about unchecking some buttons (associate WinZIP with ZIP-Archives), you don't have the functionality of WinXP for ZIP-folders anymore. Instead WinZIP appears, when doubleclicking an archive. There is a certain entry in the registry, where one can tell the system, who should handle the zip-files. Does anyone know, how this entry looks like? It's something like zip=xxx.dll, but I forgot the excat filename! Regards Richie ...

Make current option group choice default
I have been wanting to make the current option group choice the default the next time a user opens a form. I don't want them to choose all the options every time they print a report (option groups on form that loads at report open determines layout, font type, size). I getting myself confused in the effort to get this accomplished, so any pointers, ideas, suggestions, commandments, etc. would be appreciated. Jeff -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201002/1 To do this, you need to save the users choices for ...