Multi-language support question

We have an MFC application that uses ADO, ATL components to communicate with
a SQL Server 2000 database.

Our application is currently English only and we are making the conversion
to support multiple languages.   The text in the application is read in from
a table so translating the text itself won't be a big deal programmatically.
The text is loaded at log in and we can just autoswitch to the appropriate
data based upon who the user is.    My concerns are with different character
sets, how the different languages impact the OS (how we set the character
set in the OS automatically), does ADO have any issues with using multiple
languages, etc.

This is new to us.

Any direction on some good white papers or other on-line resources to guide
us through this process?

Thanks much.

Eric

0
eric1954 (161)
12/9/2005 4:19:58 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;198846

Tom

"Eric Margheim" <NOSPAM***eric@prism-grp.com***NOSPAM> wrote in message
> We have an MFC application that uses ADO, ATL components to communicate
> with a SQL Server 2000 database.
>
> Our application is currently English only and we are making the conversion
> to support multiple languages.   The text in the application is read in
> from a table so translating the text itself won't be a big deal
> programmatically. The text is loaded at log in and we can just autoswitch
> to the appropriate data based upon who the user is.    My concerns are
> with different character sets, how the different languages impact the OS
> (how we set the character set in the OS automatically), does ADO have any
> issues with using multiple languages, etc.
>
> This is new to us.
>
> Any direction on some good white papers or other on-line resources to
> guide us through this process?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Eric

0
tserface (3861)

Redeploy question regarding databases
We just finished the redeploy of CRM 1.2 to 3.0 in a new server. Everything is good but we need help with SQL. The databases need to be updated with the data that employees enter in the old server running 1.2. What is the best way to do it? Do the table structures of both Databases are the same? ...

any way to open multi html fiels in differen ie7 tabs from batch file?
I managed to open in single tab with last file shown while the others in history I also managed to get multi instance of ie7 I also can open one at a time but wait for ie7 to close I search the web, no luck so far. the Firefox way is definitely not supported. help would be much appreciated. platform ie7 on vista 64 "GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote in message news:OQtrdi43KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I managed to open in single tab with last file shown while the others in > history > I also managed to get multi...

A question about Outlookexpress backup file (.dbx)
Hi, there. Is there anybody here know how to recover the compact Outlookexpress5 backup files (.dbx file)? Thanks a lot! "Jerry" <chance912@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:18e201c4a252$09d330b0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, there. Is there anybody here know how to recover the > compact Outlookexpress5 backup files (.dbx file)? Thanks a > lot! From where? Jerry <chance912@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, there. Is there anybody here know how to recover the > compact Outlookexpress5 backup files (.dbx file)? Thanks a > lot! DBX files are NOT "Outlook...

Question: Before you Buy
Hi All, Concerning the new Microsoft Money version, may be coming from Quicken Deluxe 2006. Question: For the newest version of Microsoft Money, does it support Direct Downloading from Banks? Question: For Backing up your Data Files that you are working with, does Microsoft Money support backing up to DVD Media that you can re-write to, like DVD+RW Disks that are pre-formatted with Nero's InCD program, so you can use the DVD Disks more than one time? -- thecreator In microsoft.public.money, thecreator wrote: > > > Question: For the newest version of M...

Simple Question
Can anyone tell me how to prevent the annoying 'Security Warning' form from appearing everytime I open/load a new database file in ACCESS 2003. Go to: Tools | Macro | Security and set the dialog to Low. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. <trekgoes2malaysia@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b80879f9-3e62-4e20-b234-6691e32afffe@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > Can anyone tell me how to prevent the annoying 'Security Warning' ...

Exchange OWA question
All, Two questions on OWA: 1. Do I need a Front End server to enable OWA from outside for my users? I only have one Exchange 2003 server running Windows 2003. 2. When I access OWA from inside my network, the public folders are view on a different screen. I am not able to use the move items option to move or copy items from my inbox to a public folder as they are not available in the Pick Folder list. Can this be changed? Thanks, Rafael 1. No; OWA can run on that server - but be cautious in allowing connections to the server. I'd be sure to use SSL connections only. 2. I thin...

forwarding question for exchange 2k3
I have a new Exchange 2k3 server up and running. I am looking to add email addresses for folks in our sister company and route the messages to them. For example I wish to have johndoe@xyz.com (my domain) route to johndoe@xyz.de (sister domain). Can this be done without creating full mailboxes for those users? Thanks JP You can add Active Directory contact objects into your domain for the sister company. If there are shedloads you can consider using something like SimpleSync www.cps- systems.com to do regular synch ups between the two domains. If the two domains are only liked via the...

Supported Version Error?
New 3.0 client installs running into the following error. "Setup failed to determine whether a supported version of Microsoft Outlook is installed" Outlook 2003 has been removed and reinstalled multiple times. No other errors. Office updates applied. This is happening on multiple machines in both the desktop and laptop version. It happens direct from the CD and also using the SBS application installer. Any suggestions for getting past this would be appreciated. John Located a post referencing installing Office SP1 and updating the Windows installer. Applied with no effe...

I have a question about using a function in a form
I have used the "workingdays2" function in a query to calculate the number of working days between two days like so... WorkingDays2([SLA_Date3],[SLA_Date4]) I have tried using this in a text box in a form but the calculation won't work. Any ideas? Another stupid moment. Date4 was earlier than Date3, duh! "SteveM" wrote: > So I assume WorkingDays2() is a user-defined public function? > SLA_Date3 and SLA_Date4 are fields on your form? > > Try putting = sign first: > > =WorkingDays2([SLA_Date3],[SLA_Date4]) > > Steve > > &quo...

Not sure my Version of OS X will support my New Software
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Processor: Power PC Have recently Bought the Office mac 2008- Home and Student edition, but as I went to install it, I noted that they are requesting Mac OS X version 10.4.9 or later.... My Computer is only a Version 10.3.9, so I am now concerned I will not be able to run the package effectively, Please Advise, With Thanks, Helen On 3/10/08 2:35 AM, in article ee92f48.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Helen_Peirce@officeformac.com" <Helen_Peirce@officeformac.com> wrote: > > Have recently Bought the Office mac 2008- Ho...

SFO connection question
On SFO I am connected to a MSCRM server 1. Now I want to connect to another server. Where do I have to specify the server ? Or is it only at the client installation time I can specify it ? Does that mean I have to uninstall and install again. Please help. There are registry entries under hkey localmachine, software, microsoft,mscrm which point to the web server. I have never tried changing the web server address. As long as the new web server is still using the same database it may work. Honestly I would reinstall "Arch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

A Tricky Question! Macro & Chart
Hi All I have a very tricky problem here. I have a column chart which has sa 4 columns - namely, A, B, C and D. First Issue - I would like to check is it possible to assign a specifi macro for A, B, C, and D to their respective columns? Second Issue - And as each macro has its own codes, would it b possible for the macro to be so smart that if I click on the column fo A, A macro will run... Please note that the order of the columns will change over time as will sort the values and put the one with the highest value as th first column. Kindly advice me whether the above are possible.....

excell sorting question
does anyone know how to do a sort for how close a list of numbers com to a designated cell with a index number in that cell?? example: a 39 b 40 c 51 d 44 e 43 sort by being the same or the closest to "44" results should be: d 44 e 43 b 40 a 39 c 5 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Twosix, You can add a helper column... In the column next to that one (assume A1:A5) enter =ABS(44-A1) and drag down to fill the series. Select both columns and choose Data -> Sort and sort according to the helper column. Dan E "twosix >" <<twosix...

MultiCurrency Question
Hi: I am in a situation where a canadian based company whose Products and Product List is in Canadian Dollars wants to create a Quote in US dollars. It seems that we cannot add the products with Canadian Dollars Currency in a USD Price List when we are using a Percent method of pricing. If that is the case, how can it be handled? I cannot create 2 sets of the same Product because the exchange rate is not fixed. Typically, CRM should be calculating the currency in USD using the exchange rate that's provided, but CRM simply is refusing to allow me to add a product with a different c...

Question about modal userform.....
My userform has various controls which allow the user to enter data. (i.e textboxes, calendar control, etc...). I load the userform as follows: Userform1.Show ' ' Code here runs after userform is closed! ' My question is....will the Visual Basic stop and wait at the "Userform1.Show" line until the user is done entering data and they close it out??? I'm just worried that the form is loaded and that VBA continues exiting the code below the "userform1.show" line. thankx No, you are okay, the code flow is passed to the code in the fo...

Question about win32 exe format.
Is there a method or class/construct in MFC which can give me information about an Win32 exe file? I've done *some* reading and have learned *some* stuff, like determining if a file IS a Win32 exe, but I was wondering about all the other stuff that you get when you right click on an exe and select 'properties' such as 'Description', 'Copyright', 'Comments' etc. If nothing in MFC, can someone provide a link/article/resource where I might learn such info? Paul The values you are referring to have nothing to do with knowing how to read the executable. Y...

Any plans for blackberry support in the next version of CRM
Has anyone heard whether microsoft will provide any support for blackberry devices in the version 2 of this software No plans that I am hearing of, this will most likely be offered as an ISV since the blackberry is a competing product to the PocketPC. That being said, we just sold a blackberry integrated solution to a customer called Mobile Access for MSCRM. If you want some info contact me at jhorn@mscrmexperts.com Jake "Kim Cannon" <KimCannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAFD5F31-2532-493B-9C32-D62476EB4392@microsoft.com... > Has anyone heard ...

Average Question Again
I am trying to average a column of numbers on Control Group 1 say I1 t I300. Some cells are empty. I am using sheet 1 to do my averaging. Fo what ever reason I keep getting error messages. I am not sure why i won't calculate. Formating is set to number. I have tried severa suggestions from a previous post. I am open to any and all suggestions. Please Help ASAP!!!! Thank You In Advance Mik -- mikeee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikeeee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1461 View this thread: http:/...

multi-line cells
Hi, I need to be able to put some multi-line data into single cells in an excel spreadsheed. In particular, I want to put in the full address of clients without putting the address parts in a group of cells. I want to be able to write the address just as I would on an envelope. I can't seem to get excell to take the carriage return character in a single cell's input. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance, Steve Steve, press ALT-ENTER to put in a line break. Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel &quo...

Sales Process Question 08-02-06
Is it possible to create a sales process based where stage progression is based on a field value - for example a pick list rather than the status of an activity? I want to create a pick list with sales stages and have a process evaluate the picklist value before progressing to the next stage. ...

Language of this installation package is not supported by your sys
I downloaded US English SharePoint Designer 2010 install from the Download Center (and again, from MSDN when I first started having issues). When I try to create a silent installation using the same method we used for Office 2007, I get the following error message: 'The language of this installation package is not supported by your system" If I just run setup, with the .msp in the updates folder it works fine (and installs silently), but the way we did it with 2007 was to run a cache-only setup first: C:\source\setup.exe /config C:\source\SharePointDesigner.WW\Cac...

Changing default language of office X or v.X : a successful case from french to english
I post it because I failed to find this information here. I'm an English user working in France(bad situation). My company provided me French office 2004 for Mac(version 11.0) and license key. My french is really basic level and my english is much better than french, so I wanted to change all the menu bars and options marked in english. I downloaded update files for office2004 from Mactopia. At first, install a FRENCH version of 'Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Service pack 1 (11.1.0). And then, install ENGLISH version of 'Microsoft office 2004 for Mac 11.1.1 Update'. It changes...

Reading multi-part MIME encoded emails in OUTLOOK 2003
Broadcast-type emails to employees relayed from an exchange server show in my Outlook with the header and all the raw encoding info for the message format included in the body of the message. If the message includes an incorporated attachment that attachment is displayed in what looks like uuencoded form in the middle of the format coding info. I have only had this problem since I installed Outlook 2003 on a new machine running Vista, although in searching for info on this problem I found similar threads in 2004 and 2005 under XP. None of those threads led to resolution of the problem...

Question on organizing large amounts of small Excel Files
I have a question regarding how I can best organize large amounts of excel worksheets so that they are more managable. I am using Excel 2002, and my problem is that the tool logs for the machine that I work with are getting out of hand. The machine stores process information in Comma Delimited form that we download into folders on our network drive. Usually we generate about 1500 logs per year. Currently, my Engineer has me open each individual file and format it. I created a small micro for this to make it easier, but it is still time consuming. Is there a way to apply a micro to large a...

Questions on Document/View architecture
Hi, I've gone over several books that I bought off-shelf on MFC. But even now, I can't understand what the document is used for. The most confusing element is OnOpenDocument and serialize For onopendocument, the book indicates that you can initialize array elements and other stuff. However, what happens when I want to load stuff from disk amd initialize it on Onopendocument, I guess it is coming from the serialise method. But I did not find a place you can find the file's name.... Please help. Jack Jack wrote: > Hi, > I've gone over several books that I bought o...