MFC visual C++ help

Hi,
I am new to visual C++. I created a simple application in visual C++
(visual studio 5) to load the bitmap from a file and display it in my
application. However when i try to do the following:

* Go to a directory of bitmaps
* Select a bitmap
* Right click and and do Open With
* Choose MyApp

It doesn't display the bitmap in my application.

I created my application as a single document in MFC where my classes
inherit from CScrollView.
How do i pass the application parameters (ie., bitmap name etc) to
the  OnDraw function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0
manasa20 (5)
5/24/2007 6:40:25 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

> application. However when i try to do the following:
>
> * Go to a directory of bitmaps
> * Select a bitmap
> * Right click and and do Open With
> * Choose MyApp
>
> It doesn't display the bitmap in my application.
>
> I created my application as a single document in MFC where my classes
> inherit from CScrollView.
> How do i pass the application parameters (ie., bitmap name etc) to
> the  OnDraw function.

In the InitInstance method of your CWinApp class you can use the m_lpCmdLine
member. There you should find your command line params like the file which
was used to open your app.

--
SvenC

0
SvenC (45)
5/24/2007 6:57:49 AM
<manasa20@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I am new to visual C++. I created a simple application in visual C++
> (visual studio 5) to load the bitmap from a file and display it in my
> application. However when i try to do the following:
>
> * Go to a directory of bitmaps
> * Select a bitmap
> * Right click and and do Open With
> * Choose MyApp
>
> It doesn't display the bitmap in my application.
>
> I created my application as a single document in MFC where my classes
> inherit from CScrollView.
> How do i pass the application parameters (ie., bitmap name etc) to
> the  OnDraw function.

For a start, you have to arrange that a command line of the form

    YourApplication.exe  <bitmapfilename>

actually opens the bitmap file.    This means parsing the command line.
MFC provides the CCommandLineInfo class to help you do this.  It may be
worth starting by looking at that in the help system.

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'

dave9996 (486)
5/24/2007 7:02:32 AM
On May 24, 5:02 pm, "David Webber" <d...@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:
> <manas...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I am new to visual C++. I created a simple application in visual C++
> > (visual studio 5) to load the bitmap from a file and display it in my
> > application. However when i try to do the following:
>
> > * Go to a directory of bitmaps
> > * Select a bitmap
> > * Right click and and do Open With
> > * Choose MyApp
>
> > It doesn't display the bitmap in my application.
>
> > I created my application as a single document in MFC where my classes
> > inherit from CScrollView.
> > How do i pass the application parameters (ie., bitmap name etc) to
> > the  OnDraw function.
>
> For a start, you have to arrange that a command line of the form
>
>     YourApplication.exe  <bitmapfilename>
>
> actually opens the bitmap file.    This means parsing the command line.
> MFC provides the CCommandLineInfo class to help you do this.  It may be
> worth starting by looking at that in the help system.
>
> Dave
> --
> David Webber
> Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'http://www.mozart.co.uk

I tried looking at that.
For example my application is called CbmpViewerApp. In my
CbmpViewerApp::InitInstance i set a alert message to make sure that
when i open a bitmap with (Open with and my application name) it is
actually going through this code. However the alter message never
shows up. It shows up if i do File open, when i debug it in Visual
Studio. It looks like it is never going into this from AfxWinMain
function. Is there anyway i can make it go through there?

Thanks

0
manasa20 (5)
5/24/2007 7:47:55 AM
Hi,

manasa20@hotmail.com wrote:
> On May 24, 5:02 pm, "David Webber" <d...@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
>>> However when i try to do the following:
>>> * Go to a directory of bitmaps
>>> * Select a bitmap
>>> * Right click and and do Open With
>>> * Choose MyApp
>>
>>> It doesn't display the bitmap in my application.
>>
>> For a start, you have to arrange that a command line of the form
>>
>>     YourApplication.exe  <bitmapfilename>
>>
>> actually opens the bitmap file.    This means parsing the command
>> line. MFC provides the CCommandLineInfo class to help you do this.
>> It may be worth starting by looking at that in the help system.
>
> I tried looking at that.
> For example my application is called CbmpViewerApp. In my
> CbmpViewerApp::InitInstance i set a alert message to make sure that
> when i open a bitmap with (Open with and my application name) it is
> actually going through this code. However the alter message never
> shows up.

How does the code look for your alert message?
Is your app already running? InitInstance is only executed when the app is
started.

--
SvenC

0
SvenC (45)
5/24/2007 8:00:08 AM
On May 24, 6:00 pm, "SvenC" <S...@community.nospam> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> manas...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > On May 24, 5:02 pm, "David Webber" <d...@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>

> >> For a start, you have to arrange that a command line of the form
>
> >>     YourApplication.exe  <bitmapfilename>
>
> >> actually opens the bitmap file.    This means parsing the command
> >> line. MFC provides the CCommandLineInfo class to help you do this.
> >> It may be worth starting by looking at that in the help system.
>
> > I tried looking at that.
> > For example my application is called CbmpViewerApp. In my
> > CbmpViewerApp::InitInstance i set a alert message to make sure that
> > when i open a bitmap with (Open with and my application name) it is
> > actually going through this code. However the alter message never
> > shows up.
>
> How does the code look for your alert message?
> Is your app already running? InitInstance is only executed when the app is
> started.
>
> --
> SvenC- Hide quoted text -

The app is already running when my alert message is executed. It is
executed with AfxMessageBox function.
This altert message appears when i try to open the file when i start
my application up and click file open  to load a bitmap into my app.
It is also executed when i start off the app to debug. However when i
start  the app with open with it doesn't seem to be executed.

0
manasa20 (5)
5/24/2007 11:04:30 AM

> I tried looking at that.
> For example my application is called CbmpViewerApp. In my
> CbmpViewerApp::InitInstance i set a alert message to make sure that
> when i open a bitmap with (Open with and my application name) it is
> actually going through this code. However the alter message never
> shows up. It shows up if i do File open, when i debug it in Visual
> Studio. It looks like it is never going into this from AfxWinMain
> function. Is there anyway i can make it go through there?

Does you code open the bitmap if you type the command in a command prompt?

If not it is not parsing the command line.   You need to fix that first.

Then, once that is working, you need to find out under what circumstances it
receives the command line when you use a pop-up menu and "Open With".

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion/support see

dave9996 (486)
5/24/2007 11:58:14 AM
This description is pretty meaningless.  See below...
On 23 May 2007 23:40:25 -0700, manasa20@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>I am new to visual C++. I created a simple application in visual C++
>(visual studio 5) to load the bitmap from a file and display it in my
>application. However when i try to do the following:
>
>* Go to a directory of bitmaps
>* Select a bitmap
>* Right click and and do Open With
>* Choose MyApp
>
>It doesn't display the bitmap in my application.
>
>I created my application as a single document in MFC where my classes
>inherit from CScrollView.
>How do i pass the application parameters (ie., bitmap name etc) to
>the  OnDraw function.
*****
By default, a command line will cause new documents to be created based on the incoming
file parameters, so you would implement your OnOpenDocument handler to load the bitmap.
You would keep this as a CBitmap in your CDocument-derived class.

Your OnDraw function would not care about the file name; it would simply ask the document
to return a pointer to the bitmap, e.g., in your OnDraw handler you would do
	CBitmap & bmp = GetDocument()->GetBitmap();
and proceed to draw the bitmap.

where you had declared in your CDocument class:
	class CMyDocument : public CDocument {
		protected:
			CBitmap bmp;   // add this line
		public:
			CBitmap & GetBitmap() { return bmp; } // and this one

BOOL CMyDocument::OnOpenDocument(LPCTSTR filename)
	{
	 HBITMAP bm = ::LoadImage(NULL, filename,
				      IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0,
				      LR_LOADFROMFILE);
	 if(bm == NULL)
                    return FALSE;
                 bmp.Attach(bm);
	 return TRUE;
	}

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
5/24/2007 1:27:52 PM
Forget this.  OnOpenDocument should work.
			joe

On Thu, 24 May 2007 08:57:49 +0200, "SvenC" <SvenC@community.nospam> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> application. However when i try to do the following:
>>
>> * Go to a directory of bitmaps
>> * Select a bitmap
>> * Right click and and do Open With
>> * Choose MyApp
>>
>> It doesn't display the bitmap in my application.
>>
>> I created my application as a single document in MFC where my classes
>> inherit from CScrollView.
>> How do i pass the application parameters (ie., bitmap name etc) to
>> the  OnDraw function.
>
>In the InitInstance method of your CWinApp class you can use the m_lpCmdLine
>member. There you should find your command line params like the file which
>was used to open your app.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
5/24/2007 1:29:56 PM
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Forget this.  OnOpenDocument should work.

I see, thanks.

--
SvenC

> On Thu, 24 May 2007 08:57:49 +0200, "SvenC" <SvenC@community.nospam>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> application. However when i try to do the following:
>>>
>>> * Go to a directory of bitmaps
>>> * Select a bitmap
>>> * Right click and and do Open With
>>> * Choose MyApp
>>>
>>> It doesn't display the bitmap in my application.
>>>
>>> I created my application as a single document in MFC where my
>>> classes inherit from CScrollView.
>>> How do i pass the application parameters (ie., bitmap name etc) to
>>> the  OnDraw function.
>>
>> In the InitInstance method of your CWinApp class you can use the
>> m_lpCmdLine member. There you should find your command line params
>> like the file which was used to open your app.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
SvenC (45)
5/24/2007 2:39:31 PM
On May 25, 12:39 am, "SvenC" <S...@community.nospam> wrote:
> Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> > Forget this.  OnOpenDocument should work.
>
> I see, thanks.
>
> --
> SvenC
>

> > On Thu, 24 May 2007 08:57:49 +0200, "SvenC" <S...@community.nospam>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Hi,

> >> In the InitInstance method of your CWinApp class you can use the
> >> m_lpCmdLine member. There you should find your command line params
> >> like the file which was used to open your app.
> > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> > email: newco...@flounder.com
> > Web:http://www.flounder.com
> > MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

I tried that, but doint OnOpenDocument doesn't work. It look like when
i do OpenWith and choose a filename my application doesn't seem to go
into that code.
Is there a way i can trace this? I can't invoke the debugger when i do
OpenWith. So i am try to debug it with afxMessageBox. Is there a
starting point i should be looking at???

Any help would be great.
Thanx

0
manasa20 (5)
5/25/2007 7:23:03 AM
You could always simply put
	DebugBreakpoint();
in your InitInstance handler.  Brute force, but it will let you get control and do
Just-In-Time (JIT) debugging.
				joe

On 25 May 2007 00:23:03 -0700, manasa20@hotmail.com wrote:

>On May 25, 12:39 am, "SvenC" <S...@community.nospam> wrote:
>> Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> > Forget this.  OnOpenDocument should work.
>>
>> I see, thanks.
>>
>> --
>> SvenC

>> > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> > email: newco...@flounder.com
>> > Web:http://www.flounder.com
>> > MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

>I tried that, but doint OnOpenDocument doesn't work. It look like when
>i do OpenWith and choose a filename my application doesn't seem to go
>into that code.
>Is there a way i can trace this? I can't invoke the debugger when i do
>OpenWith. So i am try to debug it with afxMessageBox. Is there a
>starting point i should be looking at???
>
>Any help would be great.
>Thanx
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

Help with conditional formatting with 2000
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to group data together into increments of 10% of th numbers and then chart them based on these groups. For example, I hav 300 data points that vary from 20 to 500 in value. I want them t appear in a chart based on the number of values that fall in the lowes 10% of numbers (ie. 20-40) then the next 10% (ie. 40-60) etc. up to th top 10% of numbers, but I do not want to manually determine what thes ranges are. I want to see a distribution of how many numbers fal within each 10% of values. I am not sure if this makes sense, please let me know...

Help! Setfocus problem
i ave a dropdown field on the first tab. I use setfocus so that it selects a different field to stop users scrolling down and changing the selection on the load event. Problem When a user changes tab and come back to the origional tab the setfocus doesnt run as the form is already loaded. How do you get around this? This is driving me and users mad at minute...please help before i open another bottle of dark rum! Hi Brian, Check out following URL; how to fire onclick event on tab click. It may help you. http://crmrocks.net/?p=16 -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post wa...

Please Help!!
I am having problems restoring a backup money file from my cdrw disc. I recieve the error that it can't open possibly because it is a read only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected. I have never had this problem before. I have restored files from my cd backup 3 times before without a problem. Please help!!!! Restore the file to writable media - your hard drive. If you still can't open it, right-click on the file in its new location, choose Properties from the context menu, and remove the check from the 'read-only' box. -...

How to share same email a/c on 2 pc
I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. Operating syste=xp outlook version 2003 Thanks "Christine" <centrol@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:hop8fj$7la$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg... > I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. > > How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. > > Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. > > Operating sys...

You wont believe this! SERVER DOWN
I was helping the operations/it director to get RPC over HTTP going on their exchange server for a company I use to be the sys admin for. The ops/it director was doing the add/remove programs portion to add rpc over http there, somehow in the process of doing this he managed to uninstall IIS -or- just NNTP and SMTP (I can't figure out which and he claims he did neither). Long story short, I've reinstalled NNTP and SMTP, reconfigured SMTP to the best recollection I have of the previous config and the server still refuses to send/receive email, even internally. All services are s...

!!HELP!!! Cannot connect to Exchange Server from a RDP, ICA session or server local machine
Please excuse the posting as I wasn't sure which group to post this in. I'm having issues using Outlook from a server desktop, an RDP or ICA connection. I have remote users who connect using Citrix. They logon to the Citrix server desktop (Windows 2003 Server) and use Outlook from there. They can also use Outlook from within Citrix as it is a Published Application. I know some of you are going to suggest why don't they use OWA but let's not get into that. I can log onto any workstation here in the office and connect to the Exchange server and open their Outlook. What I and they...

producing a c-v.
i need to produce a new c-v on my p-c,can any give me some tips,or know best place to look at please. Watch the shorthand. What is a c-v? "wazzer5times" <wazzer5times@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A74FBAD-4E8F-43EB-9588-849A4176803B@microsoft.com... >i need to produce a new c-v on my p-c,can any give me some tips,or know >best > place to look at please. I assume they mean a curriculum vitae, also known as a resume. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Charles W Da...

Internet connection problem
Hi. I hope someone is able to cast some light on a problem. We have a home network (all computers running XP) some wired and some wireless. For about a month now we have intermittent connection problems in that any one computer (randomly) will not connect to internet. I think all of the computers have suffered from the problem. Rebooting the affected computer makes no difference but rebooting the router can sort it until the next time. Even my mobile phone occasionally cannot connect. In Firefox the message is just "server not found". Pinging an IP address results in a time...

Telnet in MFC
Does anyone know of a good example of a telnet (or other text based protocol) client written in MFC? "Isaac Raway" <isaac@blueapples.org> wrote: >Does anyone know of a good example of a telnet (or other text based >protocol) client written in MFC? http://www.mctainsh.com/win32/telnet.aspx -- Tim Slattery MS MVP(DTS) Slattery_T@bls.gov On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:25:36 -0500, "Isaac Raway" <isaac@blueapples.org> wrote: >Does anyone know of a good example of a telnet (or other text based >protocol) client written in MFC? > For telnet and termin...

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Need help on a formula 05-20-10

Terminal Servers in Cluster - Login/Profile Issues
Hello Gurus, Currently I am having an issue with logins and profiles as per details below. Server/Network Configuration Details: 1 X Windows Server 2008 Std FE 64bit (DC) 2 X Windows Server 2008 Ent 32bit Terminal Servers User Profiles are Roaming and exist in: \\SBSERVER\Profiles on the Domain Controller and C:\Users\ on the Terminal Servers. Approx 50 users. Problem Description Error messages when logging in the terminal servers: Your roaming profile is not synchronized correctly with the server. Windows will load your previously-saved local profile instead. See the pre...

RMS 2.0 matrix dimensions are annoying, but help is available
For reasons I don't understand, MS saw fit in RMS 2.0 to use dimensions data for matrix components that is far less accessible to users than Sub Descriptions are. For instance, I can't edit assign a dimension value to an existing item I have added to a matrix. I can't see a reason for using Dimensions with limitations like this as using Sub Descs. to describe matrix "dimensions" worked fine previously. Does anyone know why MS did this? It's annoying! Digital Retail Solutions (DRS) has a product called Power Ops (Build 2.2.0003). It's help file mentions (se...

Help-- Having trouble opening Word & Entourage
I have to keep restarting my computer to be able to open Word or Entourage. The icons just bounce a little but won't open. I was getting a request from Entourage to rebuild the database which I did about 6 or 7 times. I got another warning which I ignored. I am on a MacBook Pro (Intel based). I am using office 2004. My Entourage database is 3.2 gb. I ran Disk Utilities a couple of times. I also had a problem a couple of times with FileMaker Pro but not sure if related. Thanks Christina On 22/8/06 20:01, in article 1156273266.788654.318170@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "...

Excel Formula Help
I am setting up a basic excel spreadsheet and really have got no experience with excel. I want to do something real basic like if A2=laptop display $10 or if A2=desktop display $20 how do I do this? I think that if the list of options is more than a just a few, a =vlookup() function would work nicely. It may seem a little complex to start, but once you use it, you'll find tons of more reasons to use it. Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions at: http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html BadSector wrote: > > I am setting up a basic excel spreadsheet and really have got no...

Converting a MFC DLL to a regular DLL
Hi, I have an MFC DLL which i have now removed the single MFC window that popped up error messages. I want to now convert it to a regular DLL. What parts of the code to i need to remove / modify? And what compiler settings need changing? On Aug 4, 6:05=A0am, hamishd <Hamish.D...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, I have an MFC DLL which i have now removed the single MFC window > that popped up error messages. > > I want to now convert it to a regular DLL. What parts of the code to i > need to remove / modify? And what compiler settings need changing? I would create a dummy MFC reg...

Help with a code
I have these code and it works find: but i also want to use it for different culumn within the same sheet. how do i add Column D with different target? meaning "S" for Study and "B" for books and s on... and maybe adding a Msg box to it that will only allow the Letters specify.. thank you in advance.. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target = "" Then Exit Sub If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Not Intersect(Target, Range("c6:c50")) Is Nothing Then If UCase(Target) = "C" Then Target = "Contribution" El...

Need Help With GP Item Pricing
GP ITEM PRICING I need to use “Bucket Pricing” for items in GP. For example below is the pricing schedule that I need to use. First 20 …………….$ 1.75 Next 280 ……………… 1.36 Next 700 ……………… 1.23 Next 2,000 ……………… 1.09 Over 3,000 ……………… .82 So if I had a Qty. of 350 it would be as follows 20 * 1.75 = 35 280 * 1.36 = 380.80 50 * 1.23 = 61.50 Total : $477.30 In GP I can only set it up to do a “Quantity Range” in the Item Price List Maintenance window. Problem is if I set it up that way and enter a quantity of 350 it will default to the $1.23 ...

Help Please in Summing
Hello. Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I need help on how to get a total of some cells. Here's the sample. If cell A1 is 05 and is true A3 is 10 and is true A5 is 15 and is False A7 is 10 and is True A9 is 05 and is False How can I make A11 show me the result by just adding those numbers that are TRUE and give me the sum ? Would really like help, thank you. Hi Mike! I assume that you have TRUE or FALSE as boolean in an adjacent cell. If so: =SUMIF(B1:B9,"=TRUE",A1:A9) But the assumption may be wrong and you'll need to provide more information. -- Regard...

zip code help! #2
thanks for the help !!!!!!!! It worke -- cbender ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cbender3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1556 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27126 ...

Re: Money class and Fixed Decimal Class in C++
I am rewriting code that utilized Rogue Wave Money class and their fixed double class. Where can a find code to use for this. I assume that there are millions of applications written that have required rounding of numbers to represent currency. Thanks for your assistance That's a pretty vague question. Lacking any specifications of the classes involved, figuring out how to reimplement them is problematic. I first learned how to do this in 1965. It is old technology. Just figure out where you want the trucation and keep the value in those units, e.g., cents, millicents, etc. The...

Learning MFC
Hi Trying to learn MFC with VC++ 6.0 and I want to draw a simple game board. All I want is a 9 by 9 grid for the Suduko game. Each grid element should be able to hold a few characters. Would appreciate some ideas on how to create the grid using the dialogue creation parts of Visual Studio. Or, do I have to draw it at run time in which case, again, how do I do it? After drawing the grid will need to be able to do operations such as: ** write {text} to cell at {column} and {row} ** user has entered {digit} at {column} and {row} Have spent some time reading the MS VS help pages but I have not ...

Are there MFC subclasses that give a different "look and feel" to the UI?
I was wondering if there are free implementations of MFC subclasses of windows and controls that give you a different look and feel? I like the Windows 2000 look, but it's quite a bit dated now, and the XP look is hideous for my taste, so I'm looking for something new, more modern looking, sleek. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Franco See if this has something your looking for. http://www.prof-uis.com/ "Franco" <cuminato@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1149800640.987272.304540@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I was wondering if there are free implementa...

Help! I've inherited a messed up plan :
I just came onto a project and got a 1700 line project plan from the previous 4 project managers. Q. Is it normal for tasks with unassigned ? empty resources to show that task in the Resource Usage window? And then on the Gantt View, when I add a resource under that column, it then shows up on the Task line as a Task! I've never seen this happen before. Any ideas?????? J > > Q. Is it normal for tasks with unassigned ? empty resources to show > that task in the Resource Usage window? > Sure - it shows up under the "Unassigned" label. &...