Memory allocation in Windows XP

Can Visual Studio 2005 allocate and use most all of the possible 4.0
GB of memory in Windows XP, or are there issues with this? In this
case we assume 32-bit development in a 32-bit OS.

Are there any issues with memory allocation and usage with Microsoft
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and 32-bit development?
0
PeteOlcott (41)
6/23/2008 12:49:28 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wz223b1z(VS.80).aspx>

> Are there any issues with memory allocation and usage with Microsoft
> Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and 32-bit development?

a hint at trouble

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2D72B837-17EB-45DC-9955-423FD31E7DFE&displaylang=en>
0
nothanks5518 (121)
6/23/2008 1:52:29 PM
On Jun 23, 8:52=A0am, BobF <notha...@spamfree.world> wrote:
> PeteOlcott wrote:
> > Can Visual Studio 2005 allocate and use most all of the possible 4.0
> > GB of memory in Windows XP, or are there issues with this? In this
> > case we assume 32-bit development in a 32-bit OS.
>
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wz223b1z(VS.80).aspx>
>

> > Are there any issues with memory allocation and usage with Microsoft
> > Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and 32-bit development?
>
> a hint at trouble
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3D2D72B837-17E.=
...>

Is there any way to change the default so that I can enable this for
the whole solution at once?
0
PeteOlcott (41)
6/23/2008 3:55:00 PM
If the subprjects were created with the "inherit from project settings" option, I *think*
you can set the option in the project options.  That's what I'd look into.
					joe

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:55:00 -0700 (PDT), PeteOlcott <PeteOlcott@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jun 23, 8:52�am, BobF <notha...@spamfree.world> wrote:
>> PeteOlcott wrote:
>> > Can Visual Studio 2005 allocate and use most all of the possible 4.0
>> > GB of memory in Windows XP, or are there issues with this? In this
>> > case we assume 32-bit development in a 32-bit OS.
>>
>> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wz223b1z(VS.80).aspx>
>>

>> > Are there any issues with memory allocation and usage with Microsoft
>> > Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and 32-bit development?
>>
>> a hint at trouble
>>
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2D72B837-17E...>
>
>Is there any way to change the default so that I can enable this for
>the whole solution at once?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
6/23/2008 5:36:01 PM
On Jun 23, 12:36=A0pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> If the subprjects were created with the "inherit from project settings" op=
tion, I *think*
> you can set the option in the project options. =A0That's what I'd look int=
o.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 joe

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:55:00 -0700 (PDT), PeteOlcott <PeteOlc...@gmail.com=
> wrote:
>
> >> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wz223b1z(VS.80).aspx>

> >> a hint at trouble
>
> >> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3D2D72B837-17=
E...>

> >Is there any way to change the default so that I can enable this for
> >the whole solution at once?
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newco...@flounder.com
> Web:http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

I can't see how to do this in VS 2005, we have a single solution and
253 projects.
0
PeteOlcott (41)
6/23/2008 6:57:50 PM
hand-editing the project files, especially with a "replace-in-files" command, might also
be a method to consider.  My editor can do this as soon as I determine what needs to be
replaced.
				joe

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:57:50 -0700 (PDT), PeteOlcott <PeteOlcott@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jun 23, 12:36�pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
>> If the subprjects were created with the "inherit from project settings" option, I *think*
>> you can set the option in the project options. �That's what I'd look into.
>> � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � joe

>> >Is there any way to change the default so that I can enable this for
>> >the whole solution at once?
>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newco...@flounder.com
>> Web:http://www.flounder.com
>> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

>I can't see how to do this in VS 2005, we have a single solution and
>253 projects.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

Losing email in Windows live mail on Windows 7
I am losing some emails that come into my mailbox. I can read it in the Quick View "Unread emails" view but it does not show up in my Inbox or in any other folders. Open that inbox folder, than click View, Show or hide, Show all = messages. If you don't see the View button, press Alt first. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Virgil" <Virgil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:19D2BA1C-BBF4-4E10-8CDC-6BC3406D2E77@microsoft.com... >I am losing some emails that ...

Can a virus exist within the RedadyBoost cache of a USD memory stick?
Hi, I've observed some weird behavior that suggests a computer virus can exist within the RedadyBoost cache of a USD memory stick. I had a hard time formatting and needed to yank the stick out and put it back in before format would work. Am I being superstitious or is there anything to this. What is in a USB memory ReadyBoost cache? Any executable code? In article <uobbwdFULHA.4576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nospam@nospam.com says... > > Hi, > > I've observed some weird behavior that suggests a computer virus can exist > within the RedadyBoo...

RMS 2.0/Windows Permissions Error
Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for the group. I have a customer running RMS 2.0, pre SP2 on Windows XP. The customer is trying to lock down his cashiers from installing unauthorized software and other such abuses on the computers. Here is the problem. When locked down he is getting the error: "Server Failure 139: A server failure occurred while attempting to read the register." This error only happens as the POS and goes away when the user is added as a local administrator. I am fairly confident this is a problem with permissions regarding licensing or OPOS, bu...

modeless message window in a regular dll?
Hello community, I have written a regular dll that should just show a status window. The problem is that I have no control over the application calling the dll. The application should not be aware of the status window. The window should just be modeless (it shouldn't block *any* application GUI) and it should show a status message. If possible, it should have a Close button. The dll uses a worker thread for requests from the application and it uses a UI thread for socket operations. Note that I use MFC in the dll (which could make it more comfortable to create the window - or - on the ot...

xp peers to peer networks
I will be running an MSAccess 2003 application split into front end and back end on an xp peer to peer network. If the 'server' computer which holds the 'shared data ' is XP Pro system how many clients can I link to it. Is it a lesser number if I run XP Home on the server. If I split the data on the 'server' into more than one mdb file does that have an implication on the number of clients. thank you .... You should be fine if you run it as a split database. It should be a split frontend/backend with each computer having the frontend on their computer. How many...

How to change background color of a window that has been created.
I need to change the background of a window that has been created, can you help? Hello Jerry, > I need to change the background of a window that has been created, can > you help? > Answer depends upon the type of window. Typically you can do this in OnEraseBkgnd. Certain controls respond to WM_CTLCOLOR and yet some other, like CButton, need to be owner drawn to change the color. If you have a generic CWnd, you can always specify the brush in the window class; so no special painting is needed. This is good when you know that the background will have one color all the time. -...

windows 7 pro 64bit installing 32bit app
i am installing a 32 bit app on a 64 bit win7 platform it registers regsize32.ocx in the install but when i try and load the app it fails on that file and i can not run regsvr32 as the file is not present where does win7 place 32 but drivers like program files x86 You will find the 32bit version of regsvr32 at c:\windows\syswow64. The ocx might be in the same folder as regsvr32 or could be in the folder where you installed the app (\program files(x86)). "Stuart Macleod" <StuartMacleod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A82A204E-43C3-4BB6-9691-6DB4...

Overlapped/Hidden window?
Is there any way to find out that one window(Static text)is overlapped/hidden by other(ComboBox)? ...

Problems with Publisher 2000 and Windows 2000
One of my clients started having problems with Microsoft Publisher 2000 last week. Whenvever she tries to run it on her Windows 2000 box, Windows installer comes up and asks her to insert her office CD, she does, and then she receives an error message saying "The installation source for this product is not available." She is an administrator of her own machine, but ironically, the user "administrator" can run publisher without any problem. I have had this problem with the first disk of Office 2000 in the past, and microsoft was able to resolve it by sending a pr...

installing Windows Server SP2 onto SBS 2003 SP1
I have SBS 2003 SP1. I have been keeping up with all the windows updates for this machine and would like to update the machine to SP2. I had heard that if you try to update the SBS 2003 SP1 server to SP2, you need to unload a lot of the updates issued after the SP2 was submitted. Is this true? Hi Carl, This hasn't been my experience. And there is no SBS 2003 SP2. It's Windows 2003 SP2 installed on top of SBS 2003 SP1 (which already has Win2003 SP1 installed). Run the SBS 2003 BPA prior to the install of Win2003 SP2 to make sure you don't have an issues ...

Excel memory Error
Hello: When I go to open a new excel spreedsheet, I keep getting a Memor error. I have removed and reinstalled Office 2000. The error does no go away. I have a 80 gig hard drive with over 50 gig free. I have gig of Ram. Page file is set to 700 meg. Can anyone help me. Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements Sal, I've had the same problem as you this ...

MS Outlook 2002 Running in Windows 98
I just changed to a new ISP. The ISP walked me through setting up an email account for their site. I no longer have a send button. I also can't see Send/Receive under Tools. I have looked and looked to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Abby Abby, Try resetting your toolbars to the default settings. Note that you will lose any customizations you've made to them, but I think it will let you get your "Send/Receive" button and menu item back. -- Regards, Chris Burnham Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no...

Access 2007 Special Effect Text Box Won't show Sunken with Windows XP
Hi All I am just getting to grips with Access 2007 and one of the quirks I have found is that when I design using Windows in XP Windows-Classic colors and set the text boxes on forms' special effect property to "sunken" They appear as sunken in the correct manner. However, when I change to the Windows XP color scheme the forms text boxes appear flat even though the special effect property has not changed. Any ideas or is it a new quirk we have to live with. I haven't tried it with Vista yet. That should be interesting Thanks Bob I am quite sure this is the same for acce...

Can I download embedded midi file in XP ?
Hi, I am using IE7 with XP. Would it be possible to download an embedded midi file from a web site? The source code is something like: if(ap_name=='Netscape') { document.write('<embed src="/data/midi/music/ss100.mid" autostart =true hidden=true loop=2') } else { document.write('<bgsound src="/data/midi/music/ss100.mid" autostart =true hidden=true loop=2') Thanks Patrick wrote: > Hi, > > I am using IE7 with XP. > > Would it be possible to download an embedded midi fil...

NewsMaestro Usenet Supertool v. 4.4.8 for Windows/Linux/Unix released
Download page: http://rapidshare.com/files/118192521/NewsMaestro_4.4.8_Src.zip (Hit Free button to download. For some download managers you need to open the .html file it downloaded to do actual download.) * Documentation update. * Bug fix in Archive 2 HTML generator while doing ReChapter. News Maestro is a power tool for usenet that automatically performs any standard Usenet operation, as specified in various RFCs, individually, or in bulk, on any number of groups and articles, utilizing sophisticated filters to select the articles to be processed. As an automated tool to do anything you...

windows media player fails
Yesterday I uploaded MVI_1138.AVI from my camera to my laptop. Then I played it (to see if it was good). Then I played it for guests twice more (so it must have been good). Today it will not play. WMP indicates that it does not recognize the file type. Any suggestions??? Charles ...

IE 8 Won't open New Window or New Tabs in Server 2008 R2
The Situation: IE 8 won't open links in a new window or a new tab either through javascript or manually using the context menus. Page > New Window still works. Clicking the new tab interface button still works. A new process is opened for the new tab but it fails at 'connecting...' This is on a domain connected development workstation running Server 2008 R2 64-Bit. Accelerators turned off, ScreenFilter turned on. VB.NET 2010 Beta installed. Recent work on a project that involves the WebBrowser control. Java is 6.17. Forefront Client Security is installed. All upd...

able to access the window but not interact with it
Hello: I ran across an interesting issue a couple of days ago with a Great Plains 8.0 client. This client does not have Field-Level Security nor does it have Modifier. The assistant business manager went into Batch Recovery to try to recover a payables computer checks batch. The batch would not post, since she did not enter control figures into the batch entry window. This is required per the Posting Setup window. Anyway, what was strange is that she could access this window but not see any batches in it. If I accessed Great Plains remotely and logged in as "sa", I coul...

Sync Outlook XP over a network
Hi all!! I have 3 computers hooked up through a home network. I am trying to get MS Outlook XP to sync calander and emails to all machines. Is this possible? How? I want to be able to read the same email on all of the machines and or see a schedule in the calendar. I have one with Win XP Pro, one with dual boot XP Pro and Server 2003, and a laptop with XP Home (eventually going to pro). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike Not sure how to do the synching, but you could just have it on one computer and use a free program called VNC, which was written by ATT Bell Labs to access t...

Mapas en Excel XP
Si mal no recuerdo, en Excel 97 se pod�an crear Mapas con datos de una hoja. Pero, cual es mi sorpresa que en Excel XP no lo encuentro como se hace. Alguien podr�a indicarme, como he de hacer mapas, si es que se puede. Saludos Jes�s G. ...

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 11-25-09
Note: This question was posed to the vista.general group with no responses offered. My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09. The "Error Details" is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code with no specific fixes recommended. I have also tried the manual workaround from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to no avail. Anybody have an idea as to how to resolve this issue? I have found the following tool to be he...

Monitor memory usage
Is it possible to monitor memory usage via vba? Basically, when a certain percentage of memory is reached I would like to show a message box asking the user to close some applications. I apologize for also sending this to the links newsgroup. It was not done intentionally and happened because the misc " Newsgroup not available" Thank you ...

Outlook XP SP2 and McAfee
I am running Outlook 2003 on a XP Pro SP2 machine. McAfee VirusScan is configured to scan outbound messages. I do not appear to have any trouble sending out email. Although, occasionally, after the email is sent, the McAfee VirusScan - Outbound E-mail Scan Status popup window does not close. Even though it states that '2 of 2 e-mail messages were sent', it also states 'McAfee VirusScan is currently scanning e-mail content and attachments prior to sending'. In these cases, I have to kill the VirusScan process through the Task Manager. Like I said, it appears that the...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Change way attachments show up in XP Office
In Office XP Pro, my attachments, both received and sent, are now showing up just under the "Subject" box as file names. I want to change attachments back so that they appear as an icon down below the body of the message as they did in previous versions of OutLook. Any suggestions are most welcome. If you have a solution, please email me at: rweeks@cableone.net anytime. Thanks It all depends on your message format. HTML puts the attachment in the header. Rich Text puts it in the body. Plain Text puts it below the message body in a separate window. --� Milly Staples [MV...