location of MFC71*.dlls when installing a program ?

My program consists of only a single .EXE, with dependencies on MFC71*.dlls.
Isn't it correct that I should install the MFC71*.dlls in the SAME directory
as my .EXE, instead of installing them in WINNT/SYSTEM32 ?   I believe I read
that this is the 'common practice'.

If this is correct, then why ?

Thanks so much !!
0
rgs424 (5)
4/26/2007 4:10:01 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

That is correct.

If you put it into the system folder, you could overwrite a different
version the same library causing other clients of it to stop working
(although I think the current versions on Windows do not allow to copy
anything into the system folder).

Vaclav

On Apr 26, 12:10 pm, rgs424 <rgs...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My program consists of only a single .EXE, with dependencies on MFC71*.dlls.
> Isn't it correct that I should install the MFC71*.dlls in the SAME directory
> as my .EXE, instead of installing them in WINNT/SYSTEM32 ?   I believe I read
> that this is the 'common practice'.
>
> If this is correct, then why ?
>
> Thanks so much !!

Having a local copy is a better solution than copying it in Sys32.
MSFT does not recommend touching sys32 with your libraries. In
addition, you may overwrite an existing DLL which may be a custom one.
Also, when you are installing it local, chances of it being deleted by
some other app during its uninstallation are almost negligible.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
4/27/2007 4:07:06 AM
I also agree with this one.  A local copy of the MFC DLLs doesn't take up
too much room and you are always assured that your program will have the
DLLs you intended to run it with.  If you rely on the installed "system"
version you may find your program not working at some point when someone
installs a different version with the same name (I've had this happen).

Tom

> On Apr 26, 12:10 pm, rgs424 <rgs...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> My program consists of only a single .EXE, with dependencies on
>> MFC71*.dlls.
>> Isn't it correct that I should install the MFC71*.dlls in the SAME
>> directory
>> as my .EXE, instead of installing them in WINNT/SYSTEM32 ?   I believe I
>> read
>> that this is the 'common practice'.
>>
>> If this is correct, then why ?
>>
>> Thanks so much !!
>

> Having a local copy is a better solution than copying it in Sys32.
> MSFT does not recommend touching sys32 with your libraries. In
> addition, you may overwrite an existing DLL which may be a custom one.
> Also, when you are installing it local, chances of it being deleted by
> some other app during its uninstallation are almost negligible.
>
> ---
> Ajay

0
tom.nospam (3240)
4/27/2007 2:19:07 PM
"Tom Serface" <tom.nospam@camaswood.com> wrote in message
>I also agree with this one.  A local copy of the MFC DLLs doesn't take up
>too much room and you are always assured that your program will have the
>DLLs you intended to run it with.  If you rely on the installed "system"
>version you may find your program not working at some point when someone
>installs a different version with the same name (I've had this happen).

Unfortunately for us, we may still find our programs not working if MS
decides to update the global copies of VC8 runtime DLL's, then the Windows
loader will load your app and *ignore* the applocal copies of the DLL's in
your own folder.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)

Install failure
Anybody know what this means? "Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.UpgradeCustomizationsAction failed. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." At this point my only options were to "Retry" or "Cancel". Retry didn't work and cancel stopped the install. Anyone seen this or know what to do with it? </APPLICATION_UPGRADE> 13:54:41| Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.UpgradeCustomizationsAction failed. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Microsoft....

Factory Installed Money 2000 needs reinstall.
I purchased a COMPAQ with Money2000 pre-installed. I had to re-install WindowsXP and was able to recover MSWorks, also pre-installed, no disks, but not Money2000. There is the "ghost" of Money2000, Icons, some unreadable files etc. I have a certificate of authenticity for both programs. My system came with a Recovery disk (MSMoney not there and an XP OS disk. How can retrieve MSMONEY? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Linda ...

Can't install 2004 Small Business onto of 2004 Delux
I have Money 2004 Delux for my home purposes. I want to trial 2004 Small Business but it won't install! It complains about a newer version of the system pack being installed .... well duh ... ? thanks Hi I'm still using SB 2k; would like to try SB 2k04. Where can I get the trial version? Only found Delux on the MS website? I have another cptr I can try it on without losing my 2K version. Lew "Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:019001c3d888$1e1413d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have Money 2004 Delux for my home purposes. I want t...

Resource Update does not update location field
We have one person create a meeting request for a resource and some other users. Then if someone else goes and modifies the meeting request resource for the location, the location field does not update. But if the original creator does the same process, it works fine and does update the location field. ...

can you install watermark behind words on pages in excel?
can you install watermark behind words on pages in excel? For visual but non-printable, use Format>Sheet>Background. For printing the watermark, see Bob Phillips' site for instructions and methods. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0005.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:58:04 -0700, David Siber <David Siber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >can you install watermark behind words on pages in excel? Aaron Blood's link on that page gives me a "Webpage cannot be found" for me -- Regards, Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital ...

money 2004 delux will not install
I used the trial version. Thought I deleted it and then tried to install 2004 deluxe and it says it is installed correctly but get an error message saying unable to intialize a required money component. reinstall. I did reinstall and it still doesn't work. HELP> Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313374 and see if it helps you -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsof...

install .NET Framework 2.0?
Is there a good/legitimate reason to install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)? Please advise. Thanks, Tracey I have re-installed Windows 2K sp4 and downloaded all the critical updates. I have a printer that evidentially used .netFW1.1 so I ended up downloading all critical updates for .netFW1.1 as well. Windows Update is "suggesting" .netFW2.0, but I don't know why. When .netFW first came out, Windows Update advised only to download ..netFW if you had applications that use it. I don't think I have any applications that use .netFW2.0. Only instal...

installation problems
I've installed Outlook 2003 as part of Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003. However, it doesn't open and becomes a non responsive programme. I've uninstalled, repaired and also reinstalled. But I still have the same problem> I have a new sony Vaio laptop. HJPM wrote: > I've installed Outlook 2003 as part of Office Student and Teacher Edition > 2003. However, it doesn't open and becomes a non responsive programme. I've > uninstalled, repaired and also reinstalled. But I still have the same > problem> I have a new sony Vaio laptop. After y...

Install Money on new vista pc
I have been using Money since Money 98 came out, first on a Windows 98 PC and then on Windows XP PC. The version I'm using is 2004 and I had no trouble loading and running that version on both a Win98 and WinXP PC. I had no problems loading Money on a new vista pc -- except I can't get passed the password field. I have searched Microsoft Money web site and the only help I got was to change the password. I have tried that approach several times with no luck; neither the old or the new password is accepted. Can the good folks on this newsgroup give me some advice? Thanks. 1) ...

Installing 2007 Home and Student on system with Sm. Bus.
Simple problem with a simple solution (I hope). I have a system (XP Pro) with Office 2007 Small Business installed. I would like to install just the OneNote component from a 2007 Home and Student edition (all legally purchased). Everytime I try, the installation fails with the error "Microsoft Home and Student 2007 encountered an error during setup." I tried unchecking everything during setup except OneNote. I've tried leaving everything checked and doing a full install. I've also tried installing it to another directory besides the default. I haven...

How do you implement selectable alternative DLLs?
I've got a need to allow my application to use a differrent version of a data access DLL based on a user's selection, or automatically discovered difference. In particular, I have an application that I want the user to be able to select the type of data source (Oraqcle, MSSQL, XML, Web Service, etc) and the application will use the applicable DLL from among the multiple DLLs provided with minimal coding. Ideally, I would have a DLL for each of the data sources supported and would just select one at startup and the code would remain the same for all calls regardless of...

PST cannot be located
I am uswing OL 2003. I had an archive file open in outlook list of folders on left side of OL window. I deleted the underlying pst file. Now I cannot "close" the folder in OL because it cannot file the file to close and get rid of the icon. What can I do to get rid of the old and useless icon in the OL window? -- Larry in ABQ If you can't remove the data file entry via the mail applet in the control panel (remember Outlook is closed when trying this), you would have to create a new mail profile and then delete the old one. Don't try copying the existin...

excel 2002 acting up after installation of access 97
hi there, I am running windows xp on my work laptop, which has word, excel, and powerpoint (all 2002). The only version of access I have is 97, I have installed it on the laptop but now when I go to run Excel it asks me for my Office XP installation disc. This wouldn't be a problem if my disc wasn't back at home. Is this going to continue even after I get the disc? Can 97 products work with an XP based system? hoping for some help. cheers chanchito Hi it should disappear once you have inserted the discs -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "chanchito_cojones&quo...

Slow Start-up; "Installing Excel Feature"
Each time I open Excel, as the program tries to open a small window opens on top saying "Installing: Microsoft Excel Feature." This remains for a LONG time, and eventually the program finally opens. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks. You might check in Tools, Add-ins and see if there are any selected that you don't intend to have start up. Also look in your XLStart folder and make sure there isn't anything there that you didn't want.. MRO "emmnpcc" <emmnpcc@aol.com> wrote in message news:05e901c36e84$d460adb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Ea...

Install MS Money Plus Deluxe over MS Money Plus Trial
I have previously downloaded and installed MS Money Plus Deluxe Trial. Today I purchased and downloaded MS Money Plus Deluxe. Other than the normal data backup is there anything special that I need to do or watch out for? If it matters I have previously installed versions of MS Money Deluxe 2004, Money 2007 Deluxe trial and Money Plus Deluxe Trial currently installed on my system Thanks, Al Should be straightforward as you suggest. But sometimes s*** happens. Always, no matter what you are off to do, be sure you have backup copies of critical data like your Money file. Better if tho...

Cannot Start programs
This morning I used "Super antispyware" to get rid of the "XP Guardian2010"trojan.Now I cannot start any programs when I click their icons on the desktop,but I just discovered that if I go to the "quick launch toolbar right click on the icon and press start,it will start the program.Any ideas,I can't start system or anything in the control panel.Thanks Jack Ramos wrote : > This morning I used "Super antispyware" to get rid of the "XP > Guardian2010"trojan.Now I cannot start any programs when I click their icons > on the...

Clicking Between Accounts In Live Mail Freezes Program??
Hello. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate. I'm virus and spyware clean. The computer runs very fast with a quad core processor and 4GB ram. All components are high-end. I work in IT and keep the machine clean. After Installing LiveMail version 14.0.8089.0726 (upgraded from Windows Mail) I set up 5 separate accounts from my local ISP, Yahoo, and Gmail. When I try and click (one left click) from one account to another in Live Mail, the program freezes and it takes about 30 seconds for the list of messages & email view to populate. When I do this it is not checking for...

The location of the .pst-file!?!
Hi, I have noticed that Outlook's .pst-file by default is located in the 'Local Settings' part of the profile. What is the idea here? We are using roaming profiles partially because we can use a central backup system on all our users' profiles, but since this part of the profile isn't copied down to the server, there will be no backup of the .pst-file :-( I find it kind of risky to not have this file backuped... What does Microsofts suggest to do here? Regards, /LS Lennart Svenssson <lensv@ituf.liu.se> wrote: > I have noticed that Outlook's .p...

Outlook 2007 Installation with Windows 7 Error
I just bought a new Office Outlook 2007 software and cannot install on a new PC with Windows 7. During installation, I get the following error: Error 25004.config.xml not specified. A valid config.xml file must be authored when deploying "(null)" Help!! Had you run MSUpdate and installed critical updates first? Did you uninstall the Trial & its Activation Assistant, reboot, prior to installing from cd? "Simply Awesome" <SimplyAwesome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89D96459-5466-453E-8390-3E8954FC2AFD@microsoft.com... >I ...

MS FrontPage Installation Question
I purchased a copy of FrontPage about a year ago. Recently my Fixed Disk had crashed due to a virus. Now that I've installed a new fixed disk and tried to re- install FrontPage I keep getting a message that my trial period is about to expire. I have the Product Key numbers but when I re-installed the program never prompted me for the Key ???? Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks Dana Greer Return the product to your retailer and ask for a refund. "Dana Greer" <dgreer@khhcorp.com> wrote in message news:051501c38e98$95b276a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... &...

Installation on server with SharePoint already installed
Hello all, I installed Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 Trial on my server that already have WSS 3.0 installed. The installation was successful but I can't find anywhere to access the "Office Project Web Access" site that is supposed to be provisioned. When we installed this on a server without WSS already there, it installed WSS and made the Web Access site. On the server that already had SharePoint, there is a new template called "Microsoft Office Project Workspace" but a site made off of that template is not the same as the Web Access site a...

RPC over HTTP (RPC proxy server must have Exchange 2003 installed?)
Can someone please confirm the following: If RPC over HTTP is deployed using front-end/back-end servers, the front-end server also has to have Exchange 2003 installed on it and configured as a front-end server? The RPC over HTTP proxy can't just be a Windows 2003 server running the RPC over HTTP proxy component, no Exchange installed? I ask because I see you need Exchange on all boxes involved with the RPC deployment, but others I talk to think you don't need Exchange installed on the RPC proxy machine in a front-end/back-end setup. Please confirm. Thanks. It would be possi...

Update 979683 doesn't install correctly on WinSrv2003EESP2x64
Hi all! The update 979683 is seemingly installed correctly on my W2K3SRVEEx64sp2. But when I verify the 'hal.dll' component of the update is NOT updated. The "KB979683.log" file states that "LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for hal.dll failed: 0xe0000102" I have verified that the 'hal.dll' is not updated in any normal locations for 'hal.dll' under '%WINDIR%', it is still the old version. I have seen from posts on other sites that the above error might occur when MS engineering has done some kind of error in th...

SFO client install error 02-03-05
hello... i have got a problem that the shortcuts and the crm icon in the mail box will not show out when i install the SFO client software and I got the error message "Setup has failed because of an error. Setup unable to install the .msi file for Microsoft CRM SFO" I have tried to uninstall the software many time, even i changed the Domain but the problem still happened. does anyone get the idea how to resolve it? Thanks Jerry, Be sure you followed all of the pre requisites before the install is attempted. Make sure the web client is operational. Indexing services are in...

BoundsChecker: Does it eff up VS.NET installs?
I just installed BoundsChecker and now all my toolbar settings and MSDN install and screwed up. Since installing BoundsChecker my MSDN install no longer works. It takes a long time getting the VS.NET IDE setup propertly because of Microsoft's buggy design where settings are not recorded in the registry until VS.NET is gracefully closed. Have VS.NET freeze on you (a common situation) or launch a second instance of VS.NET and you're either guaranteed or likely to see all of your settings disappear. It takes so damn long to get things setup properly due to Microsoft thinks that the on...