Intercepting Messages

How do I catch the message that you get when you insert a new usb stick into
a machine?  I am trying to catch the message that says, "found new device and
need to reboot to complete installation".  Is this possible?

0
TimHunter (1)
3/16/2007 5:56:10 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You could start here...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000pro/evaluate/featfunc/plugplay.mspx

Tom

"Tim Hunter" <TimHunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I catch the message that you get when you insert a new usb stick
> into
> a machine?  I am trying to catch the message that says, "found new device
> and
> need to reboot to complete installation".  Is this possible?

0
tom.nospam (3240)
3/16/2007 6:12:26 PM
There should never be a situation in which adding a device driver requires a reboot.
There's something seriously wrong with a driver that requires this.

I know of no way to detect if a device driver requires a reboot due to such a bad design.
However, you can detect a PnP device by registering for notifications.  Check out
WM_DEVICECHANGE and follow See Also links from there.
				joe
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:56:10 -0700, Tim Hunter <TimHunter@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>How do I catch the message that you get when you insert a new usb stick into
>a machine?  I am trying to catch the message that says, "found new device and
>need to reboot to complete installation".  Is this possible?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

Outlook refuses some message and deletes them....mystery..
Hi, I have a website with e-mail forwarding to my standard e-mail address. Now this is the strange part: When I send a test message to this address it forwards it to my standard e-mail address, BUT it only shows it for a split second and then the message has completely disappeared! Nowhere to be found, not even in deleted items. All other e-mail works fine. I try it in Outlook Express and it works. I try it on another computer; it works. What could be the problem? Thanks Look for any message rules or filters in effect. -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math "So...

email attatchment containing original message
please help every email i receive contains an attatchment which is a notepad page containing the email message too. Stuart, at least 3 of us today have had this problem. I solved this problem on my machine by the simple expedient of rebooting! Before rebooting, I had deleted all cookies, temporary internet files and files in windows/temp, as this was suggested in response to another posting (evidently this helped similar problems in Outlook Express). This latter did nothing, but the reboot did. You might have to do both. Deleting temporary internet files and cookies is done in I...

Hotmail deletes messages in Outlook
It seems that it is the intention of Outlook is to mirror Hotmail. I deleted my messages in Hotmail to cleanup the account thinking that these messages were safe in Outlook. Upon returning to Outlook, after deleting the Hotmail messages online, my Outlook messages were also deleted, including the Archive file. Is this the correct behavior of the products (connector/Outlook/hotmail)? May I assume that all is lost? Is there a way to modify this behavior in the future, such that the messages in Outlook are safe from operations performed in Hotmail. I am just interested in downloadin...

If I press F9 I get error message "operation failed"
If I press F9 to download all messages I get error message "operation failed" but I can download messages from each email account manually using menu bar receive. Is there a remedy? ...

Error Message #92
I have a user (User A) that has been granted Publishing Editor permissions for User B's calendar. User A has Win2000 OS with Office 2003. User B is using WinXp and Office 2003. User A can access, read, writed, etc. User B's calendar, but when trying to print the calendar an error message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook," is returned. The user exits out of Outlook and starts again, but the same error message is returned. I have looked at microsoft's web site, but all posts regard earlier versions of Outl...

Can't insert column; keep receiving error message
I was updating a large spreadsheet and all of a sudden I was unable to insert columns. I kept getting an error message that said, "...unable to shift nonblank cells off worksheet." I tried everything from unhiding all columns and rows toreformatting all the comments to move and size with their relative cells. I also removed all the comments and I was still unable to insert a column. Does anyone have a solution Thank you >-----Original Message----- >I was updating a large spreadsheet and all of a sudden I was unable to insert columns. I kept getting an error message th...

all messages are deleted
I get an email in Outlook 2002. I can read it but if I go to another email the message I just read will be completely deleted from the machine. If I move it to another folder the other emails I just received will be deleted from the machine before I can read them. I have no rules on how it should handle messages. I have no filters on They're probably just hidden. Check View | Current View -- is it set to "Unread messages"? If so, that explains the problem -- when you reply to a message, it becomes "read" and so it disappears when an "unread messages" vie...

Exchange Defrag/Slow message delivery
Hello all! We've been running into a minor issue that we've decided to take a look at. When someone sends an e-mail to the entire company, it can take up to 5 minutes for some recipients to receive the message. We were wondering if this had something to do with database defragmentation. I checked the Application Event logs and found that the online defragmentation for the Private Information Store has never completed. I'm seeing Event ID 704 entries stating that the Online Defragmentation was interrupted and terminated. This has been occuring every day going back to 1/...

View messages by Message Timeline
When working with message views I selected view current view by "Message Timeline" and find the format very useful for keeping chronologic track of events. The question is that from time to time a bar of varying length appears over some of the messages and I'm not sure what it means. At fires I thought it had something to do with the number of message threads but some of the messages with few threads had longer bars than the ones with a good number of threads. Does anyone know what these thing are? That bar generally shows how long you were working on the item in ques...

Virus sending messages?
When I do a "Send/Receive", often it says that it is sending messages. None of these messages show up in the "Send Items" folder and I obviously had not composed any messages to send. I am running WinXP and Outlook 2002 (part of Office XP). I am up to date with the Windows Updates, and I am running Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition with the latest virus definitions. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks. You may be sending read receipts - they won't show up in the Outbox. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with...

Set up sending same message everyday
I need help on how to set my outlook to send a message to the same group everyday Thanks DK ...

mailbox warning message
Exchange server 5.5 Can you tell me where I can find the text? file that contains the default warning message when a users mailbox breaches its limit. I would like to edit this message many thanks adam .. There is no Microsoft supported way of doing this. I would suggest you call PSS to find alternatives, and if you would like, have the person you work with email or call me. -- Dan Winter, MCSE Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer...

Error message during setup
I bought Microsoft Office Pro 2007. I have the installation disk and product key, but halfway through the installation process it stops and says missing "ProPlusr.WW\Office64WW.msi." I can't find anything on the support site. Any ideas? please reply to bshelson@sympatico.ca Thank you, Bill Did you have a Trial version of Office 2007 Pro Plus installed before. Pro Plus is a VL version. The fact that the installation is looking for the Pro Plus suggests that you had that installed at one time. Your best bet is to uninstall all Office including the Activation Assist...

Delete message on IMAP acount
hi, I setup a IMAP acount but we y try to delete a message, he just underline the message but he is still in my INBOX. thank you You need to purge the deleted items manually. While connected to the IMAP account, select Edit | Purge Deleted Messages. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:ded601c3f08d$573238f0$a301280a@phx.gbl, david wrote: > hi, > > I setup a IMAP acount but we y try to delete a message, he > just underline the message ...

strange message in calendar outlook 2007 sp2
Hi A customer of mine sneded out a recuured meeting request On a later time she added a location One of de members get this message. "this meeting request is updated after the message has been send. open a later update or open an item in the calendar" If he opens the item in his agenda the location is not updated Greetings Jurgen ...

Error message regarding updating american express data
When updating my accounts online I receive a message indicating there was an error downloading from american express. It indicates the account may be closed or the number may have changed. Neither is the case, and the update completes and downloads the data from american express correctly. Any suggestions on eliminating the message? AMEX has been having problems for the last two days and I can't even sign on to the AMEX website this morning to THAT get that message today. It appears to be an AMEX problem based on the message on their website yesterday. -- PlsHelpMScan't ...

Message-ID
Is it possible to hide from message-id the hostname of the sending host? No. Your mail server should stamp a message id, but if it doesn't outlook adds one to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "Michele Franzoni" <no@spam.com...

Outlook 2003: Message Box Appears: "Can't open this item. Out of memory or system resources. Close some or programs and try again"
I had a problem, found the solution, and thought I'd post my findings instead of being simply greedy and moving on my way. :) Problem: When running Outlook 2003, I'm was receiving a message box (pop up window) when trying to open any email or item: "Can't open this item. Out of memory or system resources. Close some or programs and try again." Solution: Apparently, this catch all message appears for a host of reasons, and it appears to be a message that's been around for a loong time based on returns from Yahoo! searches. So no one person's solution applies to...

message tracking #16
is there a way to print out the list you get from message tracking. for example I had hr that wanted a list of the emails a user recieved over 2 weeks. Eddie, It may be easiest to retrieve the data from the raw log files. If message tracking is enabled, these should be located in the C:\Program Files\ExchSrvr\<servername>.log directory. These log files can be opened in Excel as tab delimited files. In the scenario below, you'd probably want to sort the spreadsheet by the Recipient-Address column, Event-ID 1028 (The Store delivers the message to the mailbox), and Date. The...

error message on startup of Outlook
When trying to open Microsoft outlook I get the following error message: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened." How do I correct this? rich Create a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, rschmidt (remove) @aquarion.com asked: | When trying to open M...

Delay sending messages
Hello, We have a new Small Business 2003 server running Exchange 2003. Everything seems to be working smoothly since loading the server 4 weeks ago. However, we are getting a large delay in sending messages. If a user sends an email I can go to the Queue on the server and see the message sitting there for 2 minutes or more. Is there a way to setup Excahnge to send the emails immediately. Someone told me it may have to do with relaying and someone trying to use our server as a relay server. Microsoft has indicated that this feature is off by default but the requests to use the server ...

Import OE Messages
Hello, I've just imported all my Outlook Express messages into Office XP. Is there a limit as the figure for imported messages was a nice round number (63400 I think)? Kol For Outlook with large table support enabled (I think only Outlook 2003 does this by default, but I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time), the limit is ~65,000 items per folder and the same number of folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After se...

Problem Printing Email Messages
When one person at my company prints Outlook Email messages, the right edge of the text sometimes gets cut off. Has anyone seen this happen? We can't find any printing settings that help and it looks find on screen. Thanks. ...

Test Message #2
This is a test message asked for by Microsoft to see if my account is working. Thanks, nick Sorry we can not see it. mt "Nick @ REAL" <NickREAL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE718712-7481-4764-8241-BD5F7452E14C@microsoft.com... > This is a test message asked for by Microsoft to see if my account is > working. > > Thanks, > nick ...

'Excel reclaculates formulas' message
I have a macro that creates Excel files and saves them to the network. When I subsequently open these files and then go to close them without having made changes, I get a message asking if I want to save changes along with the statement "Microsoft Office Excel recalculates formulas when opening files last saved by an earlier version of Excel." I'm using the same version of Excel! The file I use as a template for the created files is not an earlier version of Excel and the macro is run from a file that is not an earlier version of Excel. I don't want the users of th...