howto only create a .lib file instead of creating/linking a complete dll

hi all,

i have a librariy around here that gets compiled and linked to a dll.
at the time of linking, visual studio 6 also creates a .lib file. how can i
split that compiling/linking ?
what i want to achieve is just only to generate this .lib file (because at
that time i cant completly link my libs because of its dependencies)

i already tried to export the dsp to a makefile and run:

nmake -d mylib.dsp /MAKE "mylib - Win32 release

but it seems that this also wants to create a .lib and a .dll file at the
same time
so i tried to run:

nmake -d mylib.dsp /MAKE mylib.lib "mylib - Win32 release

but it seems that nmake cant handle the target within my nmake call..

any ideas about this problem ? would be really great !

thanks in advance

cheers

    joerg

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I don't get the problem.  You have a project that creates a DLL. And it
creates a DLL and a Lib, which are both created by the linker.
Now you want to create the lib now, and the DLL later??? Or are you trying
to switch from a Dynamic Link Library to a Static library?

AliR.

"joerg mauz" <joerg_mauzREMOVETHIS@abs.org> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> i have a librariy around here that gets compiled and linked to a dll.
> at the time of linking, visual studio 6 also creates a .lib file. how can
> split that compiling/linking ?
> what i want to achieve is just only to generate this .lib file (because at
> that time i cant completly link my libs because of its dependencies)
>
> i already tried to export the dsp to a makefile and run:
>
> nmake -d mylib.dsp /MAKE "mylib - Win32 release
>
> but it seems that this also wants to create a .lib and a .dll file at the
> same time
> so i tried to run:
>
> nmake -d mylib.dsp /MAKE mylib.lib "mylib - Win32 release
>
> but it seems that nmake cant handle the target within my nmake call..
>
> any ideas about this problem ? would be really great !
>
> thanks in advance
>
> cheers
>
>     joerg

0
AliR3470 (3236)
9/21/2005 3:02:03 PM
> I don't get the problem.  You have a project that creates a DLL. And it
> creates a DLL and a Lib, which are both created by the linker.
> Now you want to create the lib now, and the DLL later??? Or are you trying
> to switch from a Dynamic Link Library to a Static library?

we have circular dependencies (we inhereted that source, so please dont
blame me for that fault !*g*) so some of our other libs make use of
those .lib files. as a result of our circular dependencies the linker cant
create
the dll because some other .lib files are missing because the dont exist
because
of the same reason that those libs cant be built due to our circle deps.

so my idea is to create for each library this .lib file ! if all my .lib
files
are available i can create our dll files because all dependencies are solved

hope you understand what i mean, 'cause it is really hard to describe
what we have here... shame on those f......... developers who create
that source/dependency-structure *aaargh*

btw: please dont tell me to solve those circular deps. i really know i
should do this, but we are talking about 30 libs which we have to completely
redesign.. and at the moment we dont have the time for that garbage
collection :-(

thanks in advance

cheers

    joerg

Well, I guess I won't tell you to fix the circular dependency!

> > I don't get the problem.  You have a project that creates a DLL. And it
> > creates a DLL and a Lib, which are both created by the linker.
> > Now you want to create the lib now, and the DLL later??? Or are you
trying
> > to switch from a Dynamic Link Library to a Static library?
>
> we have circular dependencies (we inhereted that source, so please dont
> blame me for that fault !*g*) so some of our other libs make use of
> those .lib files. as a result of our circular dependencies the linker cant
> create
> the dll because some other .lib files are missing because the dont exist
> because
> of the same reason that those libs cant be built due to our circle deps.
>
> so my idea is to create for each library this .lib file ! if all my .lib
> files
> are available i can create our dll files because all dependencies are
solved

> hope you understand what i mean, 'cause it is really hard to describe
> what we have here... shame on those f......... developers who create
> that source/dependency-structure *aaargh*
>
> btw: please dont tell me to solve those circular deps. i really know i
> should do this, but we are talking about 30 libs which we have to
completely
> redesign.. and at the moment we dont have the time for that garbage
> collection :-(
>
> thanks in advance
>
> cheers
>
>     joerg

0
AliR3470 (3236)
9/21/2005 3:55:27 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/_core_mutual_imports.asp
--
Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP]

"joerg mauz" <joerg_mauzREMOVETHIS@abs.org> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> i have a librariy around here that gets compiled and linked to a dll.
> at the time of linking, visual studio 6 also creates a .lib file. how can
> split that compiling/linking ?
> what i want to achieve is just only to generate this .lib file (because at
> that time i cant completly link my libs because of its dependencies)
>
> i already tried to export the dsp to a makefile and run:
>
> nmake -d mylib.dsp /MAKE "mylib - Win32 release
>
> but it seems that this also wants to create a .lib and a .dll file at the
> same time
> so i tried to run:
>
> nmake -d mylib.dsp /MAKE mylib.lib "mylib - Win32 release
>
> but it seems that nmake cant handle the target within my nmake call..
>
> any ideas about this problem ? would be really great !
>
> thanks in advance
>
> cheers
>
>     joerg

0
jeffp (1711)
9/21/2005 4:43:58 PM
>we have circular dependencies

See if this helps:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_Using_an_Import_Library_and_Export_File.asp

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
0
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/_core_mutual_imports.asp

you are my personal microsoft hero !!! thanks for that hint ! it works !!!

cheerss
    joerg

You're mine too Jeff.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/_core_mutual_imports.asp

> you are my personal microsoft hero !!! thanks for that hint ! it works !!!
>
> cheerss
>     joerg

0
AliR3470 (3236)

How to create a partition on an external USB drive?
Toshiba Tablet XP Home/Student with plenty of memory. I have the program DriveImage XML. At one point it says to create a partition somewhere for the image it's going to create. I have a 40G external plug and play HD. I'd like to create a partition on it without disturbing other files and folders I have on it. There's plenty of free space. Various resources say use XP Disk Management to create that partition. So when I go there it appears as they say but when they say click on the free space choose the selection "Create new partiton." I have right clicked ...

PNG files not displayed
Help! I have a problem where PNG files I insert into Publisher aren't correctly displayed. The image place-holder is visible, but no image. Other graphics file-types are fine, but not PNG's. Another user with identical hardware and software can view the same PNG's without problems. I've tried resintalling Office and service packs with no success. However, when printing the publication, the PNG graphics are produced with no problems. I'm running Office 2003 sp 1. Thanks in advance! Casey. Casey <Casey@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utte...

Problem to open excel file
Hi to all, I have a problem with all excel file. The user can't open all excel file when she did a double click on it. She has this error message : "cannot find the file 'c:\documents and settings\desktop\......test.xls' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct. And that all required libraries are available" Do you know what can I do to solve the issue?? regards Malcolm Your Excel file association may be lost. Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to en...

user created shapes non printing
I started have a problem with vision 2002 that I have not noticed before. When I create a new shape, by default, it assumes the non-printing properly under FORMAT � BEHAVIOR. Also if I group a set of "printing" shapes the group will become non-printing. Can I change this behavior? How are you creating the new shape? Also are you using layers in your document? -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Robert" <hammer_757@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9ec427f7.0409231005.576...

Importing a Lotus file with a *.123 extension
My company uses Excel 97 and 2000 and we've received a Lotus file with a *.123 extension. Excel will not allow me to open it as it does not have the *.wk? format. I searched the web and while I found numerous people with the same problem I found no one who had the conversion answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Find someone with Lotus ver 9 or higher. Have them open the file, and save it as *.wk4 If you dont have Lotus available and want you can send it to me and I will do it for you Thanks "jim" <jimsto@gorbel.com> wrote in message news:088d01c35...

Navigation Bars
I put Navigation bars on my publisher website document. When I try to publish to a file or to the web, the Navigation Bars do not appear on the page(s). How do I resolve this?? Answer found in the web group. DavidF "Tom Snyder" <Tom Snyder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A55B689-FE9D-4E1E-9B6C-3ED571156D46@microsoft.com... >I put Navigation bars on my publisher website document. When I try to >publish > to a file or to the web, the Navigation Bars do not appear on the page(s). > How do I resolve this?? Tony, did you get an answer to this...

How do I Restore old save dbx files back into OE store folder
I have some old dbx files that I saved into a folder in 'My documents' some time ago during earlier OE back ups. I now wish to re-import some of these saved dbx folders back into OE in order to assess some of these emails again. I've been looking at the wed sites 'Inside OE' and 'OE help'. But can't seem find or see the part that will give me directions on how to do this. Some of these saved dbx folders have the same names of existing folders that I'm currently using in OE. So presumably, I'm going to have to do some folder renaming or s...

"All users" "Programs" create/modify shortcut from app...
Hi all, I've created two shortcuts into "Programs" folder for "All Users" It lets me to get them available for all user. The problem: Application running in "User" context needs to delete and re-create such links but it fails due to an "access denied" ... Settings correct permission to such links it starts working as well I've created links using the IShellLink/IPersistFile sehll interfaces. So, I actually need to have link under "programs" for "All Users" which might be modified by application running in "Users"...

How Do I Copy My Outlook Files To My New Computer?
I exported my Outlook files from my old computer and burned them to a CD. During the export process, it asked me three times for a password. When I tried to import these files to my new computer I got "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file." Can anyone help? Apart from the fact that Import/Export options often lead to corruption - you should use a simple pst copy - The pst needs to be on the hd and the read only flag off, before In OL attempting to open it. NB not import <aprice6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1145746658.84...

Linking Combo box to pivot table?
Hi All, I have a pivot table which has teams on the left, months on the top and a count of the calls in the data area. What I would love is that if I could have a combo box on a worksheet which when I select a team from its list it only shows me that teams data in the pivot table. Is this possible please?? -- Adam ----------- Windows 98 + Office Pro 97 You could move Team to the page area of the pivot table. Select a team, and the pivot table will only show its data. Adam wrote: > Hi All, > > I have a pivot table which has teams on the left, months on the top and a > c...

How to create a connection point in Excel
When I group autoshapes the group itself does not have connection points. A connector connects to one of the grouped shapes instead. So, the connector beginconnecedshape (or endconnectedshape) property contains the name of the contained shape and not the name of the group. Is there a way to create connection points for a group? Alternatively, is it possible to change a group into a single shape with connection points? ...

mscvr71.dll help
How do I make my VS.net 2003 software not depend on msvcr71.dll? Thanks. Use static linking. I don't know where to set the option in VS7, but it used to be under Code Generation where you selected the desired C runtime library to use. In VS6 we had a choice between a dynamically-linked runtime and a statically-linked runtime. I've not had to make this choice under VS7 so I'm not sure where, in their overly-clever and completely gratuitous reimplementation of the user interface, this has been hidden. joe On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:24:56 GMT, anonymous@coolgroups.com wrote: &g...

Using XP Briefcase with money file

Help with automating file name
I have the following code that exports the below query to excell. I would like the files name to include the month and date. How would I format this? DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "qryShopOrderSqFtShippedSummaryExport",_ acFormatXLS, "W:\Cokato\Production\ProdRoomRpt.xls" -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Hi, Matt. > I would > like the files name to include the month and date. Uh, . . . the date _always_ includes the month, unless you're r...

Createing Quote sometimes make Error: 80070057
Hello NG, Today I found some funny problems. I create Quotes via the quote WebService from the CRM. This normally works fine, but now I have some quotes, which will get me an error, when I open it. This error is no normal error, I will get an white/yellow Page with ASPX Errorpage: Here the Message (sorry but I only have this error in German): Serverfehler in der Anwendung '/'. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- Falscher Parameter. Beschreibung: Beim Ausf�hren der aktuellen Webanforderung ist ein unverarbeiteter Fehler aufgetret...

outlook adreddbook file
I want to export the addressbook flie into database to be uses in a quiry. is it possible and how do i do it? Outlook has no separate "address book file." Contact data is stored in your Contacts Folder Use the Export Wizard to export it to the format that best suits your needs. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Helpneeded" <derontayp@aol.com> wrote in message news:261e01c3af79$7d94e740$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I want to export the addressbook flie into database to be > uses in a quiry. is it possible and how do i do it? ...

Contact file not visible when importing or exporting contacts
I'm tidying up all my contacts files for email and also for my mobile ph using outlook. Have done this many times without any problems and am familiar with import export process. I exported all the contacts to an excel file to work on as it's much easier than through outlook. Had a hiccup at first as when I got to the select a contact file to export there was just a blank space. I exited outlook and went back in and it was all OK. Now I've finished the excel spreadhsheet and want to reimport it but it's the same problem in reverse. I can't "see" a co...

How to remove the /dde from Windows Explorer File Open on Install
I have an MDI app that I would like to open a file on a double click in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately the Explorer File Type (Tools>Folder Options... File Types tab) is set so that the command invokes dde. Ie. The "open" option under the "Advanced" button is C:\Path...\App.exe /dde and the DDE message is [open("%1")]. This never seems to work as my app never sees the dde message and the initialization of m_pCmdInfo via: m_pCmdInfo = (CCommandLineInfo*)(UINT_PTR)m_nCmdShow; sets the pointer to one and the app fails on exit. This is referred as a kn...

Creating Control Grid
Hi all, I would like to know as to how I should go about creating a control grid of my very own. I just need a bit of push (suggestions). Thanks In Advance Where are you getting stuck? Of course, if the grid isn't too large and most of the cells will have data, then you could simply use a two-dimensional array. For larger grids that will be sparsley populated, there are a couple of algorithms to consider. A simple one is to create a one-dimensional array that represents the rows (or columns), and have each item contain or reference a linked list for all items in that row (complete...

Force command to run for each computer in txt file list of compute
I have a few hundred computers that haven't been defragged in years. I was wondering if rather than doing it manually, if someone had a script where if i just put all the computer names in a txt file, it would iterate through the list and perform a "defrag c: -f" on them all from my workstation. The workstations all have the same local administrator password, so the process would be the same for each. I just dont know how to write scripts. I know if i were going to do this manually from my computer I would run the command below for each ComputerName psexec ...

windows xp system error with kernel32.dll (crash)
System Error AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16608 ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 00012a5b The group you posted to is for Microsoft Access (the desktop database.) You might do better to post to an Internet Explorer group, or a Windows group. (Sorry to do that to you when this kernel issue is probably driving you nuts.) -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "jackzhao" <zhao.boyou@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...