How to Take Ownership of Registry-Key

Hi folks !
I need to programmatically take ownership of a registry-key as
administrator. To test this , i created a key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TestKey and removed all accessrights from this
key using RegEdt32.

Now i tried to set the accessrights by my programm. Since i do not have
rights to this key, i cannot open the key to get a handle for modifying the
rights.

Microsoft wrote in KB-Article 111546:

<
To take ownership of a registry key it is necessary to have a handle to the
key. A handle to the key can be obtained by opening the key with a registry
API (application programming interface) such as RegOpenKeyEx(). If the user
does not have access to the registry key, the open operation will fail and
this will in turn prevent ownership being taken (because a handle to the key
is required to change the key[ASCII 146]s security).

The solution to this problem is to first enable the TakeOwnership privilege
and then to open the registry key with WRITE_OWNER access as shown below:
RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,"Testkey",0,WRITE_OWNER,&hKey);

This function call will provide a handle to the registry, which can be used
in the following call to take ownership:
RegSetKeySecurity(hKey,OWNER_SECURITY_INFORMATION,
&SecurityDescriptor);

Please note that you will need to initialize the security descriptor being
passed to RegSetKeySecurity() and set the owner field to the new owner SID.

But it does not work by program !
Here is my code:

{
HKEY hKey;

SECURITY_INFORMATION si;
PSECURITY_DESCRIPTOR sd;;
DWORD size=1000;

DWORD result;

result=RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"Software\\Testkey",0,WRITE_OWNER
,&hKey);

result=RegGetKeySecurity(hKey,si,sd,&size);
result=RegSetKeySecurity(hKey,si,sd);

}

When trying to RegOpenKeyEx, it fails with result==5 (Access denied) and of
course other subsequent calls to RegGetKeySecurity failed with 6 (Invalid
handle) since hKey is set to NULL.

So what is wrong ? Why does it not work in a way MS told me ?
My system is W2000prof/SP4, MS VC++ 5.0/SP3.

Thanks in advance !
Jost

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

    Like the documentation says, you need to enable the
SE_TAKE_OWNERSHIP_NAME privilege before calling RegOpenKeyEx(). Take a look
at the following link for an example

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/security/security/taking_object_ownership.asp

--
Cheers
Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP]

"jostlindemann" <jostlindemann@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi folks !
> I need to programmatically take ownership of a registry-key as
> administrator. To test this , i created a key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TestKey and removed all accessrights from this
> key using RegEdt32.
>
> Now i tried to set the accessrights by my programm. Since i do not have
> rights to this key, i cannot open the key to get a handle for modifying
the
> rights.
>

> Microsoft wrote in KB-Article 111546:
>

> <
> To take ownership of a registry key it is necessary to have a handle to
the
> key. A handle to the key can be obtained by opening the key with a
registry
> API (application programming interface) such as RegOpenKeyEx(). If the
user
> does not have access to the registry key, the open operation will fail and
> this will in turn prevent ownership being taken (because a handle to the
key
> is required to change the key[ASCII 146]s security).
>
> The solution to this problem is to first enable the TakeOwnership
privilege
> and then to open the registry key with WRITE_OWNER access as shown below:
> RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,"Testkey",0,WRITE_OWNER,&hKey);
>
> This function call will provide a handle to the registry, which can be
used
> in the following call to take ownership:
> RegSetKeySecurity(hKey,OWNER_SECURITY_INFORMATION,
> &SecurityDescriptor);
>
> Please note that you will need to initialize the security descriptor being
> passed to RegSetKeySecurity() and set the owner field to the new owner
SID.

> But it does not work by program !
> Here is my code:
>
> {
> HKEY hKey;
>
> SECURITY_INFORMATION si;
> PSECURITY_DESCRIPTOR sd;;
> DWORD size=1000;
>
> DWORD result;
>
> result=RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"Software\\Testkey",0,WRITE_OWNER
> ,&hKey);
>
> result=RegGetKeySecurity(hKey,si,sd,&size);
> result=RegSetKeySecurity(hKey,si,sd);
>

> }
>
> When trying to RegOpenKeyEx, it fails with result==5 (Access denied) and
of
> course other subsequent calls to RegGetKeySecurity failed with 6 (Invalid
> handle) since hKey is set to NULL.
>
> So what is wrong ? Why does it not work in a way MS told me ?
> My system is W2000prof/SP4, MS VC++ 5.0/SP3.
>
> Thanks in advance !
> Jost

0
CheckAbdoul
12/3/2003 2:42:44 PM
Thankx!

But unfortunately, tried to look on your recommended example, MSDN-WebSite
says "Sorry, this document is not available".
I would appreciate just a small chunk of code just for the call to set
SeTakeOwnerShip.

Thanks in advance !

Jost

"CheckAbdoul" <checkabdoul at mvps dot org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]
> > >

> > But it does not work by program !
> > Here is my code:
> >
> > {
> > HKEY hKey;
> >
> > SECURITY_INFORMATION si;
> > PSECURITY_DESCRIPTOR sd;;
> > DWORD size=1000;
> >
> > DWORD result;
> >
> > result=RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"Software\\Testkey",0,WRITE_OWNER
> > ,&hKey);
> >
> > result=RegGetKeySecurity(hKey,si,sd,&size);
> > result=RegSetKeySecurity(hKey,si,sd);
> >

> > }
> >
> > When trying to RegOpenKeyEx, it fails with result==5 (Access denied) and
> of
> > course other subsequent calls to RegGetKeySecurity failed with 6
(Invalid
> > handle) since hKey is set to NULL.
> >
> > So what is wrong ? Why does it not work in a way MS told me ?
> > My system is W2000prof/SP4, MS VC++ 5.0/SP3.

    You are right. It is not there anymore. Anyway here is the google
archive of that MSDN page.

        http://tinyurl.com/yuy1

--
Cheers
Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP]

> [...]
> > > Here is my code:
> > >
> > > {
> > > HKEY hKey;
> > >
> > > SECURITY_INFORMATION si;
> > > PSECURITY_DESCRIPTOR sd;;
> > > DWORD size=1000;
> > >
> > > DWORD result;

result=RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"Software\\Testkey",0,WRITE_OWNER
> > > ,&hKey);
> > >
> > > result=RegGetKeySecurity(hKey,si,sd,&size);
> > > result=RegSetKeySecurity(hKey,si,sd);
> > >

> > > }
> > >
> > > When trying to RegOpenKeyEx, it fails with result==5 (Access denied)
and
> > of
> > > course other subsequent calls to RegGetKeySecurity failed with 6
> (Invalid
> > > handle) since hKey is set to NULL.
> > >
> > > So what is wrong ? Why does it not work in a way MS told me ?
> > > My system is W2000prof/SP4, MS VC++ 5.0/SP3.

0
CheckAbdoul

Export registry key
Hi, Is there an API to Export and Extract a registry key in a text format ? I need to simulate the operation that is done by the user of exporting a key (and creating a .reg file in a text format). I do not want to use RegSaveKey/RegRestorekey which work in a binary format. Yoav. I believe you will have to do this yourself. There is no Automation or exported function interface to RegEdit, and that .Reg file concept is a feature of that program. However, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do this, using RegEnumKeyEx and RegEnumValue or the CRegKey class, use a CStdioFile object...

Product IDs and Keys
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel There's been some mixup in reinstalls and I want to clean up. Problem is that the Product ID displayed on the about window doesn't match the Product Key on the box. How do I determine which boxes ID was used to install on which mac? Are there any tools out there that can backwards generate the original key? I have to users that collide with eachother but the previous person wrote names on the boxes and not their asset tag numbers and boxes have gone from person to person. I need a way to associate the original d...

Invalid Product Key for Office 2007
Hello, I bought myself a new HP laptop for personal use. Before buying it I muled for a while if I should be conservative and stick with Windows XP or be daring and go for Windows 7. In the end I darec and went for Windows 7 Professional (Windows Home does not do it for me), which was a big decission because I had some horrendous experiences with Vista. So far I am quite happy with the laptop and Windows 7. Unfortunately my experience was dented this morning. The laptop comes with a 60 day evaluation copy of Office 2007 Professional. This is not a problem because I knew I had t...

return primary key for record after append query
Is there a way to find the primary key for a new record added to a table using an append query in VBA? I need to assign that to a variable so that I can use it an a second append query to a different table. For example: tblCust: CustID (pk), CustName, CustAddress tblOrder: OrderID (pk), CustID (fk), ProdID If I use append query to add CustName and CustAddress to the tblCust table, how do I get the CustID for that record to use in an append query to add records to the tblOrder table? It is possible to query the last key value like this: Function ShowIdentity() As Variant ...

Primary Key names. (with random ?? numbers in them).
Dear reader, For primairy key names I was (and still am) used to names like : 1. PK_<table_name> Now I have a database which has primairy keys with double underscores and names like : 2. PK__<table_name>__<number> There are two underscores and a large number. When scripting (database or table): The name from 1 appears in the script. The name from 2 does not appear in the script and a similar name with a different number is generated when the script is executed. My problem, if I do not have control over the names of objects, it becomes difficult to ma...

Registry editing
When I tried to follow the instructions contained in knowledge base article 270060, I can't find the Today folder in the following address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0 \Outlook\Today. My problem is that I can't get access to Outlook Today and I have tried some of the other knowledge base suggestions with no success. Please help me!! Thanks ...

How to make [toggling] shortcut keys to superscript and subscript, respectively?
We all know there are built-in shortcut keys for Font.underline [CTRL+u], .italic [CTRL+i], .bold [CTRL+b]and corresponding toolbar buttons in Excel. They are toggling shortcut keys which even work during typing/editing in a cell, which is very convenient. I've been struggling to make such shortcut keys for superscript and subscript, without success. Would anyone kindly tell me how? I am currently trying to learn EXCEL 2000 VBA and ACCESS 2000 VBA. There are no built-in shortcuts for these. You could write your own UDF, but this won't work in edit mode on a cell. Maybe John Walkenbach...

Attempt to identify unique keys using .NET xsltransform hangs, but works fine in MSXML 4.0
The following XSLT works fine using MSXML 4.0 (e.g I receive a result in about 20 seconds), but effectively hangs in both .NET 1.0 sp2 with the XML hot fix and NET 1.1. My source XML file is large at over 46,000 <atl_client> nodes <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/> <!-- lookup port parent on portfolio long name *** uses parsed port...

where is registry file in the file system
Hello! I can access my Windows 2008 Server only per remote rescue System. It is a separate system loading from the network and is enabled to access the file system. If I try to use tools as netsh, then it addresses rescue and not the server system. I made the problem (bad configuration) on the server firewall and now I cannot start. If I could find the registry file in the file system then I could change the settings of firewall. Where is the registry file in the file system of windows server? Thank you! Uwe "Uwe Conradi" <conradi@arcor.de> wrote in m...

Primary Key & foreing key relationship
Hi, I am trying to set up a system that tracks employee vacation usage. Our employees accrue 5 days vacation after every 2,000 hrs. I have set up two tables. The first table, I call EMPLOYEE table. EMPLOYEE table consists of the following fields: SS# (Primary key) Employee Name Employee Type Start Date End Date Yes/No The second table I called VACATION LOG. VACATION LOG table consists of the following fields: SS# (Foreign key) Employee Name Hours Taken Date Taken Week Ending Date My question is this, I have a primary key (SS#) in the EMPLOYEE table and a foreing key (SS#) in VACATI...

Product key retrieval
A customers single RMS station died, and you guessed it, they lost their Product Key and have no backups of their database. I managed to take the hard drive out and install it in a PC with like hardware and it booted up, so I can start RMS and backup their hard database, but is there anyway to get the key? Perhaps hidden in the registry? Thanks in advance RMS version 2.0.0108 Windows Vista x86 SQL Express 2005 Their RMS reseller should have kept a copy of the license key and delivered the original licenses to the end user. If the software was purchased legally and they registered th...

How to fix keys t s h c v non-responsive only in Excel?
When I press keys t s h c and v in Excel 2003, nothing happens. If I use the Shift key, then the keys work, but only as caps. The keys work fine in other Office applications, and worked fine in Excel 2003 until this morning. bareedy, Interesting. Try the stuff at http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/vfaq.htm, "Excel acts generally goofy." -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "bareedy" <bareedy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E613210C-9895-4DDD-906D-219336F7CDD8@microsoft.com... > When I press ke...

Bulk Edit Ownership Opportunities
How can I change Ownership for several records (example Open Opportunities)? I've tried marking several records and use the Bulk Edit function, but Ownership cannot be changed. Suggestions to solve this issue will be appreciated. Thanks! Hans I. You use the Assign function for this. In the opportunities list view, select the opportunities you want to change ownership on and click the icon at the top that shows a person with a green arrow. This brings up a dialog that lets you select another user to assign the record to. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com ...

Subform with two keys
Hello I have a problem that is apparently simple but which I struggle to solve. I have the following tables (simplified): Table tblClient Client_id Client_name Table tblContact Contact_id Contact_name Contact_client Table tblMeeting Meeting_id Meeting_client Table tblAttendee Attendee_id Attendee_meeting Attendee_contact So basically I have contacts which are all linked (through a relationship) to a specific client. I also have meetings links to a specific client. And I have attendees, with a double link to 1) the contact 2) the meeting so that I can have an unlimited number of attendee...

page up & down virtual keys?
Does anyone know the virtual key codes for page up and page down? can't seem to find them in the usual places... thanks "jcrew" <nospam> wrote in message news:%23%23DS8KjIEHA.3092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know the virtual key codes for page up and page down? can't > seem to find them in the usual places... thanks VK_PRIOR, VK_NEXT. -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] jcrew wrote: >Does anyone know the virtual key codes for page up and page down? can't >seem to find them in the usual places... thanks You mean you didn't look for VK_PRI...

How can I get the Primary Key to show up in an e-mail?
I created a Help Desk database that once I have the form completed I click on a macro that takes the information I have selected and places it into an e- mail using outlook and will be e-mailed to the tech to take care of the pc issue. I have the tables stored on the server and they are linked to Access 2003. All the information transfers over except for the Ticket ID (which is the primary key) field. It doesn't enter that into the e-mail since it really has not been created because the table has not been updated. I had the table set to Auto-Number and on the server I had it to increment ...

Office 2004 causing short cut key problems?
Several people on my team have encountered an issue with short cut keys=20 not working as they had previous to installing Office 2004. We had been=20 using Office X and the issue did not exist.=20 For the past week (since the install of Office 2004) team members have = not=20 been able to use the short cut keys in Illustrator CS to duplicate = objects.=20 This also seems to affect multiple selections via SHIFT+Click. In addition, InDesign CS responds as expected. Any one else? Any thoughts? OSX.3.5 Office 2004 Adobe CS Studio It's a known bug, there have been several posts on the micr...

firefox not taking OWA timeout settings
I have configured the timeout settings and it's fine with IE but fire fox is not taking it. has anyone experienced this? thx techie in need ...

Adding subform missing composite primary keys
Hi All When I tried to add another subform to an existing subform, the "InvNbr" field is missing from the invoice table. My table structure is as follows: tblVendors VdrID PK Vendor tblOrders VdrID FK OrderNbr PK tblInvoice VdrID PK InvNbr PK OrderNumber FK tblPayments VdrID FK InvNbr FK CheckNbr CheckAmount This is the first time I used multiple fields for my primary keys and I don't know how to get my form to work. Thank you. ...

isometric drawings shift key
I want to make an isometric drawing, based on a 30 degree angle. Can I change visio's settings so that when I press shift to draw a line, the angle it produces is not 45 degrees, but 30 degrees? No, but check out Tools / Snap & Glue / Advanced / ... Isometric angles (deg) If Isometric angle lines is selected under Shape extension options, specifies the angles for which shape extension lines appear, such as 30, 60, and 90 degrees. You can enter up to 10 angles (in degrees), separated by commas. This option is most useful if you are creating an isometric drawing. A line segment can ...

BCP import error
I am getting this error during a BCP import, and since the file is not large, I determined that there are 2 rows with the same key, but 1 is in lower case, and the other all upper case. How can I define the column identified as the primary key to be case sensitive? thanks, Dave Assuming your PK column is a VARCHAR or other character data type column, you could try changing the table's and column's collation to a case-sensitive collation and see if that does it for you. Doing that may cause other issues for you. Anywhere that column is used, it would probably need to be ...

stop:c0000218 {registry file failure}
got a blue screen when I tried to boot my PC. found KB 307545 and ran CHKDSK /r using Recovery Console which found an error, but blue screen persisted. So then performed part 1 using Recovery Console; copying deleting etc the indicated files. That went OK no surprises But Am stuck on part 2. Cannot access System Volume Information folder. but mouse over says folder is empty. So did not do any of the steps yet. Windows runs now but only limited extent. please help timOleary wrote: > got a blue screen when I tried to boot my PC. > found KB 307545 and ran CHKDSK /r using...

product key validation problem after sp2 update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I work at a university and we have special version with office 2008 for mac with pre installed product key. Until now everything works great, but today, after updating to SP2 I get this message when I try to open any office application: Office for mac has determined that your product key is not valid. Does anyone has a solution (beside removing and installing again without sp2)? Thanks, Avner Traub Same problem here! Harald. Also have the same problem. Please help ! Raluca I'M TOO, SO??? URGENT!!! Same here!...

How can I manually sort the legend key?
I am trying to change the order my legend key is displayed? There should be an obvious feature for this, but I cannot seem to find it? Any idea? You can rearrange the order of the series in the chart, but the order of the legend entries is constrained beyond this. You cannot switch the order of two series if one is on the primary axis and the other on the secondary, or if the two series represent two different chart types (e.g., line vs, column). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com ______...

CRM 4.0
Hi, Now that we have 4.0...is there a way to create tasks in workflow with due dates that take into consideration weekends and work hours? For example, if a task is created that is given 2 days to be completed, and it is created on Friday, is there a way to calculate the due date to skip Saturday and Sunday, or use the owners work schedule to calculate the due date? You still need to create a custom workflow activity to calculate such things. There is no out-of-the box support for this. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCPD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Extended Entity and Plug-in browser: h...