How to read binary file created by non-MFC source?

I am a newbie working on a simple project for loading a binary file
and displaying its byte-by-byte contents in interger equivalent. The
file was created by some unknown source (presummably not MFC). I am
using SDI/CScrollView interface and the file is supposed to be open
under FILE/OPEN menu. At the beginning, I've been trying to include

CString str;
ar >> str;

in

void CMyProjectDoc::Serialize(CArchive &ar)

as an attempt to put everything in str prior to converting every byte
into interger.

What happened was
1) The first byte (which is known to be a 92) was missing; and
2) Only byte 1 to byte 93 were successfully recorded in str although
the file is known to be much longer than just 93 bytes.

Based on the above observation, I believe the first byte is treated as
the length of the stream and the serialization terminates
automatically at the end of the assumed length. I am familar with
traditional iostream approach in C++ for dealing with files but new to
MFC. Can somebody help me out by pointing me the right approach to
retrieve the full contents of (non-MFC created) binary file in MFC
environment please? It would be extremely helpful if some example code
can be given.

Thanks for any help.
0
cffung (14)
7/10/2004 6:22:12 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I'm not sure where you need help. There is nothing special about files
created with MFC. Just declare a BYTE array and read the data into the
array. It's pretty simple. If it doesn't appear as you expect, you might try
posting the relevant code.

You might also download our Cygnus Hex Editor (the trial version is free) if
you'd like to verify the values contained within the file.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits

"CFF" <cffung@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> I am a newbie working on a simple project for loading a binary file
> and displaying its byte-by-byte contents in interger equivalent. The
> file was created by some unknown source (presummably not MFC). I am
> using SDI/CScrollView interface and the file is supposed to be open
> under FILE/OPEN menu. At the beginning, I've been trying to include
>
> CString str;
> ar >> str;
>
> in
>
> void CMyProjectDoc::Serialize(CArchive &ar)
>
> as an attempt to put everything in str prior to converting every byte
> into interger.
>
> What happened was
> 1) The first byte (which is known to be a 92) was missing; and
> 2) Only byte 1 to byte 93 were successfully recorded in str although
> the file is known to be much longer than just 93 bytes.
>
> Based on the above observation, I believe the first byte is treated as
> the length of the stream and the serialization terminates
> automatically at the end of the assumed length. I am familar with
> traditional iostream approach in C++ for dealing with files but new to
> MFC. Can somebody help me out by pointing me the right approach to
> retrieve the full contents of (non-MFC created) binary file in MFC
> environment please? It would be extremely helpful if some example code
> can be given.
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
jwood (1292)
7/10/2004 6:54:59 PM
CFF wrote:
> I am a newbie working on a simple project for loading a binary file
> and displaying its byte-by-byte contents in interger equivalent. The
> file was created by some unknown source (presummably not MFC). I am
> using SDI/CScrollView interface and the file is supposed to be open
> under FILE/OPEN menu. At the beginning, I've been trying to include
>
> CString str;
> ar >> str;
>
> in
>
> void CMyProjectDoc::Serialize(CArchive &ar)
>
> as an attempt to put everything in str prior to converting every byte
> into interger.

Using the MFC serialization with a non MFC file will not work.  Ignore
the serialization stuff and use CFile to read your file.  You can do
this in Serialize, or override OnOpenDocument and do it in there.  CFile
provides general purpose file manipulation functions and can be used
with any file.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp8856 (490)
7/10/2004 10:17:22 PM
You can't use MFC serialize operators with unknown files. Forget it exists.

Read the files in binary.
					joe

On 10 Jul 2004 11:22:12 -0700, cffung@myrealbox.com (CFF) wrote:

>I am a newbie working on a simple project for loading a binary file
>and displaying its byte-by-byte contents in interger equivalent. The
>file was created by some unknown source (presummably not MFC). I am
>using SDI/CScrollView interface and the file is supposed to be open
>under FILE/OPEN menu. At the beginning, I've been trying to include
>
>CString str;
>ar >> str;
>
>in
>
>void CMyProjectDoc::Serialize(CArchive &ar)
>
>as an attempt to put everything in str prior to converting every byte
>into interger.
>
>What happened was
>1) The first byte (which is known to be a 92) was missing; and
>2) Only byte 1 to byte 93 were successfully recorded in str although
>the file is known to be much longer than just 93 bytes.
>
>Based on the above observation, I believe the first byte is treated as
>the length of the stream and the serialization terminates
>automatically at the end of the assumed length. I am familar with
>traditional iostream approach in C++ for dealing with files but new to
>MFC. Can somebody help me out by pointing me the right approach to
>retrieve the full contents of (non-MFC created) binary file in MFC
>environment please? It would be extremely helpful if some example code
>can be given.
>
>Thanks for any help.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
7/11/2004 2:22:55 AM
"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <scottmcp@mvps.org.nothere> wrote in message news:<On296NsZEHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> CFF wrote:
> > I am a newbie working on a simple project for loading a binary file
> > and displaying its byte-by-byte contents in interger equivalent. The
> > file was created by some unknown source (presummably not MFC). I am
> > using SDI/CScrollView interface and the file is supposed to be open
> > under FILE/OPEN menu. At the beginning, I've been trying to include
> >
> > CString str;
> > ar >> str;
> >
> > in
> >
> > void CMyProjectDoc::Serialize(CArchive &ar)
> >
> > as an attempt to put everything in str prior to converting every byte
> > into interger.
>
> Using the MFC serialization with a non MFC file will not work.  Ignore
> the serialization stuff and use CFile to read your file.  You can do
> this in Serialize, or override OnOpenDocument and do it in there.  CFile
> provides general purpose file manipulation functions and can be used
> with any file.

Forgive my poor understanding of the whole thing since I am still
working on my very first MFC project. What you mentioned is exactly
where I am not sure about which class, which function should I put my
code to open file. I can't see OnOpenDocument anywhere in my project.
Should I add in by myself? Do you mean OnFileOpen() under
CMyProjectApp class? Can you tell me exactly where and how should I
declare the input stream in a similar manner to C++ such as

     ifstream infile(argv[1], ios::in | ios::binary);

in order to manipulate the file? For the case of MFC, what is going to
replace argv[1] in the above line of code?

Thanks for your help.
0
cffung (14)
7/11/2004 3:11:58 AM
"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message news:<uwGJu9qZEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> I'm not sure where you need help. There is nothing special about files
> created with MFC.

Yes, there is something special about file created by MFC since MFC
arranges data in its own format. What bothers me, in this particular
problem, is it treats the first byte as the length of the input file.
No, I don't want that. I need every byte from the beginning to the end
retrieved and that is not working out by simple ar >> str.

Just declare a BYTE array and read the data into the
> array. It's pretty simple. If it doesn't appear as you expect, you might try
> posting the relevant code.

That is the idea but I don't know which class, which function should I
insert the code to do this.

> You might also download our Cygnus Hex Editor (the trial version is free) if
> you'd like to verify the values contained within the file.

Thank you for the information. That is going to be a helpful tool.
0
cffung (14)
7/11/2004 3:22:41 AM
CFF wrote:
>>Using the MFC serialization with a non MFC file will not work.  Ignore
>>the serialization stuff and use CFile to read your file.  You can do
>>this in Serialize, or override OnOpenDocument and do it in there.  CFile
>>provides general purpose file manipulation functions and can be used
>>with any file.
>

> Forgive my poor understanding of the whole thing since I am still
> working on my very first MFC project. What you mentioned is exactly
> where I am not sure about which class, which function should I put my
> code to open file. I can't see OnOpenDocument anywhere in my project.
> Should I add in by myself? Do you mean OnFileOpen() under
> CMyProjectApp class? Can you tell me exactly where and how should I
> declare the input stream in a similar manner to C++ such as
>
>      ifstream infile(argv[1], ios::in | ios::binary);
>
> in order to manipulate the file? For the case of MFC, what is going to
> replace argv[1] in the above line of code?
>
> Thanks for your help.

You should have looked up OnOpenDocument in the help.  It is a virtual
function of CDocument.  It normally calls Serialize.  But you can't use
Serialize, so add your own OnOpenDocument override function.  The file
name to be opened is passed to this function.

If you create a CFile m_file document member you can do it like this:

BOOL CDoc::OnOpenDocument(LPCTSTR lpszPathName)
{
  if (!m_file.Open(lpszPathName,
    CFile::modeRead | CFile::shareDenyWrite))
	return FALSE;

  DeleteContents();
  m_filelength = m_file.GetLength();
  m_filebuf = new BYTE[m_filelength];
  m_file.Read(m_filebuf, m_filelength);
  m_file.Close();
  SetModifiedFlag(FALSE);
  return TRUE;
}

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp8856 (490)
7/11/2004 5:01:54 AM
No, you are confusing "files created by MFC" with "files created by using MFC
serialization operators". I create all sorts of files using MFC, and rarely if ever use
serialization. So you can't make broad claims about "files created by MFC" having some odd
format

So don't use serialization.

Why does a class have to get involved in it?

The obvious class to use is CFile. This saves about a hundred bytes of source code and
worrying about all the obscure parameters to CreateFile.

CFile f;
if(!f.Open("filename.here", CFile::modeRead))
    ... deal with error and get out

DWORD length = f.GetLength();
LPBYTE buffer = new BYTE[length];
if(buffer == NULL)
  ... close file and get out

f.Read(buffer, length);
f.Close();
..... process the bytes
delete [ ] buffer;

done.

This works well for small files (small tens of megabytes); but files of the range of
hundreds of megabytes to gigabytes usually require reading the input in chunks instead of
all at once.

There is an unfortunate fixation of C++ programmers to think that everything has to be
done with a class and methods, and that the only possible way of doing I/O is << or >>,
and this blinds you to the fact that the problem is essentially trivial.
				joe

On 10 Jul 2004 20:22:41 -0700, cffung@myrealbox.com (CFF) wrote:

>"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message news:<uwGJu9qZEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
>> I'm not sure where you need help. There is nothing special about files
>> created with MFC.
>
>Yes, there is something special about file created by MFC since MFC
>arranges data in its own format. What bothers me, in this particular
>problem, is it treats the first byte as the length of the input file.
>No, I don't want that. I need every byte from the beginning to the end
>retrieved and that is not working out by simple ar >> str.
>
>Just declare a BYTE array and read the data into the
>> array. It's pretty simple. If it doesn't appear as you expect, you might try
>> posting the relevant code.
>
>That is the idea but I don't know which class, which function should I
>insert the code to do this.
>>
>> You might also download our Cygnus Hex Editor (the trial version is free) if
>> you'd like to verify the values contained within the file.
>>
>Thank you for the information. That is going to be a helpful tool.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
7/11/2004 6:50:27 AM
CFF,

> > I'm not sure where you need help. There is nothing special about files
> > created with MFC.
>
> Yes, there is something special about file created by MFC since MFC
> arranges data in its own format. What bothers me, in this particular
> problem, is it treats the first byte as the length of the input file.
> No, I don't want that. I need every byte from the beginning to the end
> retrieved and that is not working out by simple ar >> str.

Most applications store data in their own format. That's why I say there is
nothing special about files created with MFC. All files are just a series of
bytes and you can read and write bytes in ANY arrangement using MFC.

> Just declare a BYTE array and read the data into the
> > array. It's pretty simple. If it doesn't appear as you expect, you might
try
> > posting the relevant code.
>
> That is the idea but I don't know which class, which function should I
> insert the code to do this.

Fair enough. Looks like Joseph provided you with an example.

> > You might also download our Cygnus Hex Editor (the trial version is
free) if
> > you'd like to verify the values contained within the file.
> >
> Thank you for the information. That is going to be a helpful tool.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits
http://www.softcircuits.com
Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
jwood (1292)
7/11/2004 3:32:24 PM
> You should have looked up OnOpenDocument in the help.  It is a virtual
> function of CDocument.  It normally calls Serialize.  But you can't use
> Serialize, so add your own OnOpenDocument override function.  The file
> name to be opened is passed to this function.
>
> If you create a CFile m_file document member you can do it like this:
>
> BOOL CDoc::OnOpenDocument(LPCTSTR lpszPathName)
> {
>   if (!m_file.Open(lpszPathName,
>     CFile::modeRead | CFile::shareDenyWrite))
> 	return FALSE;
>
>   DeleteContents();
>   m_filelength = m_file.GetLength();
>   m_filebuf = new BYTE[m_filelength];
>   m_file.Read(m_filebuf, m_filelength);
>   m_file.Close();
>   SetModifiedFlag(FALSE);
>   return TRUE;
> }

Yes, it works. I've managed to load the file by adding your codes to
the OnOpenDocument function. My thousand thanks :)
0
cffung (14)

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

Public Folder link to Excel File

Renaming Partial File Names

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

MFC project with my classes
I have got a project that uses MFC. I want to expand the functionality of the project by adding a few of my own classes to it. But I don't know where should I create objects of my new classes so that I can access them, I know the WinMain function resides in CWinApp class and my project has a class inherited from the CWinApp class, but where should I define my own objects I can't figure it our. Can anybody help? Adrian wrote: > I have got a project that uses MFC. I want to expand the functionality > of the project by adding a few of my own classes to it. But I don't > kno...

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2

creating a backup on 2002 for Money 98