How to make my program work on Windows 98?

Hi all,

I have a program using ACCESS to store some data. I am selling this program
for months there are no complains. Today a customer told me that the program
does not work properly on his Win98SE machine. It seems that he does not
have the JET driver installed. I used ADO in the program. I took a look at
Microsoft web site, it seems that they dropped the JET from the MDAC
package. My question here is: where I can ask customer to download from
Microsoft? If Microsoft does not provide such a download, what kind of stuff
should I include in my program to make it work?

Thank you in advance,
Daniel

0
dan755 (1)
12/19/2003 3:48:36 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I had the same problem.  I have an app that I send out to clients on a CD
that worked great on 2000 and XP, but unfortunately a lot of people
especially home users.  I picked up an old Windows 98 machine for $30 on
Ebay and installed 98 on it for testing purposes.   I use InstallShield
DevStudio so that helps a bit.  It allows me to use merge modules which have
all the dlls in them that I need.

"Daniel Young" <dan@mot.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a program using ACCESS to store some data. I am selling this
program
> for months there are no complains. Today a customer told me that the
program
> does not work properly on his Win98SE machine. It seems that he does not
> have the JET driver installed. I used ADO in the program. I took a look at
> Microsoft web site, it seems that they dropped the JET from the MDAC
> package. My question here is: where I can ask customer to download from
> Microsoft? If Microsoft does not provide such a download, what kind of
stuff
> should I include in my program to make it work?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Daniel

0
w_gower (280)
12/19/2003 2:52:32 PM
Daniel,

I wrote a program that uses the Jet database and I
accessed it through DAO classes in VC++. I got the same
problem as you and had to include a Microsoft setup
routine that installed DAO 3.5 on user's machine.

I haven't used ADO but I think you can download a Jet
Service pack from Microsoft which I think contains files
needed. I would be interested to find out if Microsoft
have created a setup program similar to above that could
be included in your own program (although I suppose the
service pack could be run by your user.)

See Knowledge Base article 239114.

Best of luck

Alex Jardine

Hi,

You can try the Borland Database Engine, BDE. This worked for me.

Just Google for BDE and download and You will find it.

Ruben

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:48:36 -0500, "Daniel Young" <dan@mot.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a program using ACCESS to store some data. I am selling this program
>for months there are no complains. Today a customer told me that the program
>does not work properly on his Win98SE machine. It seems that he does not
>have the JET driver installed. I used ADO in the program. I took a look at
>Microsoft web site, it seems that they dropped the JET from the MDAC
>package. My question here is: where I can ask customer to download from
>Microsoft? If Microsoft does not provide such a download, what kind of stuff
>should I include in my program to make it work?
>
>Thank you in advance,
>Daniel

0
ruben1 (50)
12/22/2003 7:46:58 AM
Daniel,

Daniel Young wrote:
> I have a program using ACCESS to store some data. I am selling this program
> for months there are no complains. Today a customer told me that the program
> does not work properly on his Win98SE machine. It seems that he does not
> have the JET driver installed. I used ADO in the program. I took a look at
> Microsoft web site, it seems that they dropped the JET from the MDAC
> package. My question here is: where I can ask customer to download from
> Microsoft? If Microsoft does not provide such a download, what kind of stuff
> should I include in my program to make it work?

Don't laugh: If you let the guy update to IE6 and let him install MDAC
(one of the more recent ones) all should work (until you did not use
some weird XP only system calls).

regards,

-rob

0
robsmiler (1)

make the script wait for the execution of a program
How do I make the script wait for the execution of a program run through the start-process? Thanks I think you can sometimes try piping to out-null to cause PowerShell to wait for completion. Give that a try... "PedroCesar" <tecdom@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7d4f98e8-0530-425d-8c46-55c9597b939a@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com... > How do I make the script wait for the execution of a program run > through the start-process? > > Thanks Start-Process has a -wait parameter that does exactly that, at least in V2. "PedroCesar" wrot...

Windows Mail-Getting REALLY Frustrating!
I'm starting to get really irritated now. A couple of weeks ago I wrote on this board that I had somehow lost my self created folders in Windows Mail for archiving my old e-mails. Well thanks to some 'posters' here, I managed to find them and have nearly gotten back all my old e-mails. Now for some reason everytime I open up and use Windows Mail, it completely hogs my CPU and makes using it pretty much impossible. I can hear the PC revving up like a jet engine after I open up the application and forget about trying to write anything. Press a letter and about two ...

Office 98 (Mac) files in Office 2008 (Mac)
I am helping a friend who has upgraded for a G3 Mac to a G5 Mac. She had Office 98 on the old Mac and has purchased Office 2008 for the new Mac. When she attempts to open her old files she gets a dialog box asking her what format she wants to open the files in. RTF, Word etc. No matter which one she chooses she gets garbled files. HELP. On 2/26/08 12:02 PM, in article ee8edd1.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "cerwelt@officeformac.com" <cerwelt@officeformac.com> wrote: > I am helping a friend who has upgraded for a G3 Mac to a G5 Mac. She had > Office 98 on the old Mac and ha...

MDI application run as a Child window
Hi, I do have a MDI application working properly. I have to include this into a plugin that would be loaded by a second application. In the second application my MDI application should run properly. Does somebody have any ideea where is the beginning? Any link is welcome! I have tried to include the MDI app into a dll and ocx with no success. TIA, Valentin What you want to do is not what MFC doc/view apps were designed for. You are probably looking for some sort of ActiveX control. Its been a while since I did this, but you could have a MFC app inside another container (DocObjectCont...

I can't sent emails from windows mails
I can't send emails from any of my accounts in the windows mail but I can receive emails. The error msg is: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'unsubscribe for myhousingloan mailing list', Account: 'mail.myhousingloan.com.sg', Server: 'mail.myhousingloan.com.sg', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Socket Error: 10053, Error ...

Is there a way to make Excel 2000 open a new worksheet in a new w.
Is there a way to make Excel open a new worksheet in a new window Hi 'Tools - options - View' and check 'Windows ins taskbar' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany gdub wrote: > Is there a way to make Excel open a new worksheet in a new window ...

Command Button Always Visible in window
Help. How do I place Command Button on a sheet so that it is always visible in the window and does not go out when the page is scrolled? -- avveerkar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ avveerkar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30338 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500030 Use Window>Freeze Panes to create an area which will always be visible, then plonk your Button in there. Rgds, ScottO "avveerkar" <avveerkar.21gdsa_1136954101.5726@excelforum-nospam.com...

Windows 7 Newsgroup
I have tried to find the windows 7 Newsgroup in this list of Newsgroup where this one on Vista is, but I do not get a hit. Is there one in this group that I can add to my list and use to ask some questions? Also, a second question: Windows Vista has a lot of pretty and nice graphics, and pretty colors, etc, but it is very difficult to find some thing there when you are lost and the folder systems is extremely complicated sometimes. I use Vista now, have had it for about two years now, and I still have difficulty finding the logic of the folder system sometimes. I don...

Money 2007 Won't Install on Windows 2000??
What's the story, Microsoft? Hard to believe that Money 2007 won't install on Windows 2000! 2000 is still supported by Microsoft, yet their new Money version rejects it. I'm not buying XP, just to run Money. 2000 works fine for me on several machines for all of my computing needs. I'm going to run Money 2006, and start testing a move to Quicken. Open source or Linux money software still has a way to go, so that's out. If not, I'd probably be gone from Money, and Windows as well! I can't imagine what feature that XP has relative to 2000 that is so critic...

Trial Version not working
I cant do anything in my trial version of Excel is that how its supposed to work? Thanks Why not? What do you try and what happens? Where and how did you get it? How did you install it? etc..Lots of questions *to you*! Please be more specific -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FEDDEA6-A8C2-4257-9B2D-0255F6CDF515@microsoft.com... |I cant do anything in my trial version of Excel is that how its supposed to | work? | | Thanks I downloaded the trial version from the microsoft page. I put...

eConnect getNextSopNumber functionality not working
Hi, All: I am a newbie to eConnect9. I am working on a project to integrate a homegrown Web program to GP9 using eConnect. I want to construct a SOP transaction XML. The major issue is it's a multiuser environment. It's more desireable to use the getNextSOPNumber feature built in SQL Server to get the next SOP number from SOP40200 table to minimize the chance of deadly lock etc. The manual says if you don't pass SOPNUMBE to taSOPLineIvcInsert and taSOPHdrIvcInsert, the stored procedure will automatically get the next SOP number from SOP40200. But when I didn't like th...

analysis cube to work with AA
AA provide flexbile means of analysis business data. It would great if Analysis Cube will be able to extract data from AA for graphical analysis. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/e...

Internet
-- Internet - Take Advantage of Multiple Windows When Surfing SUMMARY: Stop jumping back and forth between index pages by using several browser windows. Why use one web browser window when you can have multiple? If you have an adequate amount of memory, open up several web browsers to maximize your surfing experience. One great way to do this is via a start page. Select a page from where you would like to begin browsing, such as a table of contents or links page. Now, instead of left-clicking on links or entries to view other pages, right-click the links. From the pop-up menu that a...

Permissions not working correctly
I have an issue with permission on public folders and shared caleners not working correctly. I have set some users to have Publisher Editor rights on both public folders and another users shared calender. In both cases the users can view the object but are unable to save changes. I have tried using a tool called PFDavAdmin to resolve the problem but this applicaiton reported that there were no issues with the permissions. I have forced the repair with no success. Any help would be great. Thanks for the read. ...

Make a small print preview visible in Word toolbar
When typing a letter and needing to be sure it is situated properly for letterhead, it would be immensely helpful to see a miniature preview while working in the document. This would avoid having to repeatedly open and close the print preview screen when trying to adjust a document so it will print correctly. By having a small preview at the top of the page, changes made by adding lines and spaces would be immediately visible and editing can be made less annoying. BTW, I really love Word, but this would be helpful! Maybe it's already on Word 10? ---------------- Thi...

Excel save takes 18 times longer than Windows Explorer copy
Hi All I have an Excel system with about 10 sheets and loads of VBA modules and classes. It resides on a network at my company's headquarters. When I copy the file from my desktop to the server using Windows Explorer drag and drop it takes about 6 seconds. However if I open the Excel file from the server from my PC and save it using Excel the save time is 90 seconds. Is this normal? My users are complaining about the time it takes to save after editing. It also means that they are not saving often and are risking losing changes. Any thoughts? If the length ...

make a duplicate table in access and save changes
I have a table that gives the rates of Dearness Allowance.These rates are given for different periods in percentages. ex: 01-01-2009 to 30-06-2009 37% 01-07-2009 to 30-11-2009 45% etc.. This is the default table and is applicable to almost 95% to 97% of employees. I want to make a duplicate of this table and display it in an unbound subform ( which is a continuous form). If the user makes any changes in it, it is then clear that Default rates are not applicable to him. Then, i want to store the data in a new table tblDeviations where i will store the EmployeeId also ...

Shared workbook-header not working
I have a shared workbook in which the header holds the date. When changing months, the headers work for me but no one else sharing! Should I turn off sharing, change headers, then turn back on? I cannot find a setting to fix this Thanks Did you save the file after you made the change? In the xl2003 share dialog (tools|share workbook), there's an advanced tab that you can tell excel when to see the changes made by others. What do you have that set for? Mary jane wrote: > > I have a shared workbook in which the header holds the date. When changing > months...

Date() Not Working in 2007
Anyone know why Date() does not work in 2007 Access and what has replaced it? Thanks! I don't have ac2007 but I suspect Date() works as it always has. Do you have any reference problems? http://www.accessmvp.com/djsteele/AccessReferenceErrors.html Does it throw an error? DSmith wrote: >Anyone know why Date() does not work in 2007 Access and what has replaced >it? Thanks! -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200705/1 ...

Windows in Taskbar
Hi, I have multiple Excel worksheets open and I like to ALT+TAB between them. This was all fine until recently when it no longer shows the workbooks in the taskbar. The option "Windows in Taskbar" is checked. I've tried unchecking it, closing Excel, re starting Excel and selecting the option again, but it does nothing. I'm using Excel with Office 2003. I checked MS Word 2003 and this works fine with the multiple documents in the task bar, only Excel is behaving strange. Can anyone help? Regards, Paul. Paul The only thing I can find in the kb is, an ongoing problem wit...

Multiple "Not Like" not working
Hello, I need help writing a query that will exclude certain data. I can successfully exlcude one item but when it comes to excluding multiple I can't get the query to work properly. If I wanted to exclude Item1 and Item2 from the query what is the proper way to write it? The field name is Items and I have multiple items starting with Item1 through Item150 but I only want to exlcude Item1 and Item2 from this specific query. I have written stuff like the following and they don't work... Not like "Item1" and "Item2" Not like "Item1" Or "...

Extender-Create a new data entry window
Is it possible to create a new extender form or window (not sure of the terminology) to enter data into Dynamics? Specifically the Sales Forecast Window in Manufacturing is terrible for entering data, everytime you move to the right, it the scrolling window jumps back to the top and you have to find the item again. Anyway, I would like a new window to enter a sales forecast, is this possible? thanks -- Doug Unfortunately Extender data is stored in Extender tables and cannot be stored in the Sales Forecast tables. I agree with you that the data entry screen is horrible. I am tal...

How to make a cell copy the info from another (background colour i
Hi Guys, Hopefully you can help.... If i have entered data and a background colour into cell A1 how do I auto make cell A3 copy what is in cell A1 (background colour include)?? Hope you can help, Thanks, Nick In A3 you can enter this formula: =A1 or better still: =IF(A1="","",A1) However, a function cannot change the format or colour of a cell - it can only return a value. One possibility you might consider, though, is to use conditional formatting on cell A1 to give it the colour (eg if it is not blank, then make background colour green). Then you could apply t...

Opening Publisher 98 file using publisher 2000
I have a very important document authored using Pub98. Unfortunately, I have upgraded to Pub2000 and when i try to open the pub98 file i get the error message "cannot open file from a different version " Surely there must be a way to open the file with Pub 2000. A very important contract hangs in the balance - Any help would be greatly appreceiated. Thanks Grant By rights you should be able to open the file. If you have Norton: How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us If the file still will not open, sen...

Where does Ms XL store the clipboard ? or where does MS Windows store clipboard ?
Dear Members Where does Ms XL store the clipboard ? or where does MS Windows store clipboard ? Vital Stats : - Using a Win XP Machine - using medium sized (100 rows, 20 column) sp sheets on MS Excel 2003 (MS Office 2003) My Machine is networked so that "my documents" directory is backed up on a server automatically I face problems while copying (some error messages re. clipboard etc) I suspect that it has something to do with the backing up of my documents or standard files I also see some reduction in speed .... any pointers on precautions to take on networked computers is w...