How to limit the number of instances of an application on a server?

Hello all,
I want to know (and to limit) the number of instances of my
application on a server such as Microsoft Server 2003 or 2008. I know
how to look for multiple instances of an app using Joe's code ("How to
avoid multiple instances.. http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm#Avoiding%20Multiple%20Application%20Instances).
I've implemented Joe's code and tested it the following way :
Using Vista, I log in as user A and start my application. Then,
without closing user A session, I log in as user B and start the same
application. I had hoped that the mutex created when running the 1st
instance of the app as user A would have been shared across all users,
and that - as user B -  I would detect that another user is already
running the app. Well, that's not the case. User B ignores another
user has started the app.
How can I solve the problem as given in the title?
Thanks
Phil
0
pbruyant (37)
6/8/2008 6:51:19 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Phil" <pbruyant@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I want to know (and to limit) the number of instances of my
> application on a server such as Microsoft Server 2003 or 2008. I know
> how to look for multiple instances of an app using Joe's code ("How to
> avoid multiple instances..
> http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm#Avoiding%20Multiple%20Application%20Instances).
> I've implemented Joe's code and tested it the following way :
> Using Vista, I log in as user A and start my application. Then,
> without closing user A session, I log in as user B and start the same
> application. I had hoped that the mutex created when running the 1st
> instance of the app as user A would have been shared across all users,
> and that - as user B -  I would detect that another user is already
> running the app. Well, that's not the case. User B ignores another
> user has started the app.
> How can I solve the problem as given in the title?
> Thanks
> Phil

The mutex name must start with "global\\":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310153

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
6/9/2008 12:25:30 AM
> The mutex name must start with "global\\":http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310153
>
> -- David

Thanks, David!
Phil
0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 4:07:36 AM
On 9 juin, 06:07, Phil <pbruy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The mutex name must start with "global\\":http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310153
>
> > -- David
>
> Thanks, David!
> Phil

Well I realize now that I asked two different questions in my previous
post.
My question is : how can I limit the number of instances of my
application to n instances with n >1, when the OS is Microsoft Server
something ?
Thank you
Phil
0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 6:11:56 AM
On 9 juin, 08:11, Phil <pbruy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 9 juin, 06:07, Phil <pbruy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > The mutex name must start with "global\\":http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310153
>
> > > -- David
>
> > Thanks, David!
> > Phil
>
> Well I realize now that I asked two different questions in my previous
> post.
> My question is : how can I limit the number of instances of my
> application to n instances with n >1, when the OS is Microsoft Server
> something ?
> Thank you
> Phil

OK, here is my idea:
I use the EnumWindows() and a callback function to find the current
number of instances of my app for any given user (as per Joe
Newcomer's method).
The problem is then to share a variable that contains the number of
instances across all users currently logged in.
I am thinking of using a semaphore declared as a global variable  and
shared between all users currently logged in the computer. The count
for this semaphore would be incremented by the number of instances for
each user.
What do you think ?
Phil
0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 7:33:06 AM
>My question is : how can I limit the number of instances of my
>application to n instances with n >1, when the OS is Microsoft Server
>something ?

Phil,

Rather than using a mutex, I think you can do something similar with a
semaphore to count the number of instances.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
6/9/2008 7:42:27 AM
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 23:11:56 -0700 (PDT), Phil <pbruyant@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 9 juin, 06:07, Phil <pbruy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > The mutex name must start with "global\\":http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310153
>>
>> > -- David
>>
>> Thanks, David!
>> Phil
>
>Well I realize now that I asked two different questions in my previous
>post.
>My question is : how can I limit the number of instances of my
>application to n instances with n >1, when the OS is Microsoft Server
>something ?
>Thank you
>Phil

What's wrong with using FindWindow? Use FindWindow in your initialization
and if you find that class or window name already instantiated abort the
new instance.
0
geoff9744 (73)
6/9/2008 7:46:02 AM
On 9 juin, 09:46, Geoff <ge...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> Thanks, David!
> >> Phil
>
> >Well I realize now that I asked two different questions in my previous
> >post.
> >My question is : how can I limit the number of instances of my
> >application to n instances with n >1, when the OS is Microsoft Server
> >something ?
> >Thank you
> >Phil
>
> What's wrong with using FindWindow? Use FindWindow in your initialization
> and if you find that class or window name already instantiated abort the
> new instance.

You can read Joe's article to see Why Using FindWindow Is Not OK at
http://www.flounder.com/nomultiples.htm

0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 7:56:18 AM
On 9 juin, 09:42, David Lowndes <Dav...@example.invalid> wrote:
> >My question is : how can I limit the number of instances of my
> >application to n instances with n >1, when the OS is Microsoft Server
> >something ?
>
> Phil,
>
> Rather than using a mutex, I think you can do something similar with a
> semaphore to count the number of instances.
>
> Dave
Yes, that's what I'm thinking of.
I understand that I create a global named semaphore say in the
InitInstance() method of my app using CreateSemaphore(), and I release
it when I leave the app. But in the meantime, how can I know the
current count for this semaphore?

0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 8:48:03 AM
>> Phil,
>>
>> Rather than using a mutex, I think you can do something similar with a
>> semaphore to count the number of instances.
>>
>> Dave
>Yes, that's what I'm thinking of.
>I understand that I create a global named semaphore say in the
>InitInstance() method of my app using CreateSemaphore(), and I release
>it when I leave the app. But in the meantime, how can I know the
>current count for this semaphore?

It's not something I've tried, but ReleaseSemaphore will give you the
count.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
6/9/2008 10:34:51 AM
Hi Phil,

u can enumerate al running Processes easy,

greetings and Best Regards
 Karsten Schulz

--
www.kahnsoft.de

#include "winperf.h"
#include <tlhelp32.h>

bool CCamViewApp::DoublicateInstance(void)
{
 typedef HANDLE (WINAPI *PFN_CREATETHELP32SNPSHT)(DWORD,DWORD);
 typedef BOOL (WINAPI *PFN_PROCESS32FIRST)(HANDLE,PROCESSENTRY32*);
 typedef BOOL (WINAPI *PFN_PROCESS32NEXT)(HANDLE,PROCESSENTRY32*);

 PFN_CREATETHELP32SNPSHT fnCreateToolhelp32Snapshot;
 PFN_PROCESS32NEXT fnProcess32Next;
 PFN_PROCESS32FIRST fnProcess32First;

 HMODULE hWin95Kernel=GetModuleHandle(_T("kernel32.dll"));
 if(!hWin95Kernel) return false;

 if(!(fnCreateToolhelp32Snapshot=(PFN_CREATETHELP32SNPSHT)GetProcAddress(hWin95Kernel,"CreateToolhelp32Snapshot")) )   return false; if(!(fnProcess32First=(PFN_PROCESS32FIRST)GetProcAddress(hWin95Kernel,"Process32First")) )   return false; if(!(fnProcess32Next=(PFN_PROCESS32NEXT)GetProcAddress(hWin95Kernel,"Process32Next")) )   return false; PROCESSENTRY32 process;process.dwSize=sizeof(PROCESSENTRY32); HANDLE handle = fnCreateToolhelp32Snapshot(TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS,0); if(!handle) return false; LPCSTR pAppName=AfxGetApp()->m_pszAppName; int n=0; fnProcess32First(handle,&process); do {  if(!strncmp(process.szExeFile,pAppName,strlen(pAppName)))         if(++n > 1) return true; }while(fnProcess32Next(handle,&process)); return false;}--"Phil" <pbruyant@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:baf8adf9-9da9-44da-8600-019478902c5d@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com...> Hello all,> I want to know (and to limit) the number of instances of my> application on a server such as Microsoft Server 2003 or 2008. I know> how to look for multiple instances of an app using Joe's code ("How to> avoid multiple instances..http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm#Avoiding%20Multiple%20Application%20Instances).> I've implemented Joe's code and tested it the following way :> Using Vista, I log in as user A and start my application. Then,> without closing user A session, I log in as user B and start the same> application. I had hoped that the mutex created when running the 1st> instance of the app as user A would have been shared across all users,> and that - as user B -  I would detect that another user is already> running the app. Well, that's not the case. User B ignores another> user has started the app.> How can I solve the problem as given in the title?> Thanks> Phil

0
kahnpost (16)
6/9/2008 11:56:56 AM
On 9 juin, 13:56, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> u can enumerate al running Processes easy,
>
> greetings and Best Regards
>  Karsten Schulz
>
> --www.kahnsoft.de

Thanks
Can this code find instances of the application when run by the other
users ?

-P
0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 12:44:43 PM
On 9 juin, 13:56, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> u can enumerate al running Processes easy,
>
> greetings and Best Regards
>  Karsten Schulz
>
> --www.kahnsoft.de

Thanks
Can this code find instances of the application when run by the other
users ?

-P
0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 1:09:41 PM
Hi Phil,
the internal processlist dont crrelates with users,they enumerate all
running Processes on the mashine.
U can easy count the name of ur modulename, by comparisation the
processlistnames.

Te name of your Application u can find out on different ways:
char
Fname[MAX_PATH];GetModuleFileName(NULL,Fname,sizeof(Fname)/sizeof(Fname[0]));
or
LPCSTR pAppName=AfxGetApp()->m_pszAppName

try it in a console app.
 greetings
   Karsten Schulz

> On 9 juin, 13:56, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> u can enumerate al running Processes easy,
>>
>> greetings and Best Regards
>>  Karsten Schulz
>>
>> --www.kahnsoft.de
>
> Thanks
> Can this code find instances of the application when run by the other
> users ?
>
> -P

0
kahnpost (16)
6/9/2008 1:19:16 PM
On 9 juin, 13:56, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> u can enumerate al running Processes easy,
>
> greetings and Best Regards
>  Karsten Schulz
>
> --www.kahnsoft.de

Thanks
Can this code find instances of the application when run by the other
users ?

-P
0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 1:51:20 PM
yes

> On 9 juin, 13:56, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> u can enumerate al running Processes easy,
>>
>> greetings and Best Regards
>>  Karsten Schulz
>>
>> --www.kahnsoft.de
>
> Thanks
> Can this code find instances of the application when run by the other
> users ?
>
> -P

0
kahnpost (16)
6/9/2008 2:12:48 PM
On 9 juin, 16:12, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
> yes
>
> "Phil" <pbruy...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:91bbbf5a-cb20-4a97-83a7-fafe53920341@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On 9 juin, 13:56, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
> >> Hi Phil,
>
> >> u can enumerate al running Processes easy,
>
> >> greetings and Best Regards
> >>  Karsten Schulz
>
> >> --www.kahnsoft.de
>
> > Thanks
> > Can this code find instances of the application when run by the other
> > users ?
>
> > -P

Sorry I don't know why my above message keeps being posted.
I understand your solution.
Thank you again.
0
pbruyant (37)
6/9/2008 2:22:43 PM
Karsten
I've implemented your code. It works great!
Thank you for sharing your expertise,
Phil
0
pbruyant (37)
6/10/2008 2:20:54 PM
On 9 juin, 15:19, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
> the internal processlist dont crrelates with users,they enumerate all
> running Processes on the mashine.
> U can easy count the name of ur modulename, by comparisation the
> processlistnames.
>
> Te name of your Application u can find out on different ways:
> char
> Fname[MAX_PATH];GetModuleFileName(NULL,Fname,sizeof(Fname)/sizeof(Fname[0]));
> or
> LPCSTR pAppName=AfxGetApp()->m_pszAppName
>
> try it in a console app.
>  greetings
>    Karsten Schulz
>
> "Phil" <pbruy...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:c988a1a7-1a25-46c3-839c-11d664814130@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On 9 juin, 13:56, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
> >> Hi Phil,
>
> >> u can enumerate al running Processes easy,
>
> >> greetings and Best Regards
> >>  Karsten Schulz
>
> >> --www.kahnsoft.de
>
> > Thanks
> > Can this code find instances of the application when run by the other
> > users ?
>
> > -P

I now see a major drawback to this solution: process.szExeFile
contains the name of the .exe file (same thing for the module's name
in it). Thus, if one creates a copy of the .exe file with another
name, your code sees it as a different program, not as a new instance
of the same program.
-P
0
pbruyant (37)
6/10/2008 4:10:08 PM
Hi Phil,

this Situation is only handable via the sytemregistry/FileIO action by
Application Start/End.
U count a reference in registry up (same do COM) . And here too user can
change it at will.

www.aladin.com  u can install a Dongle, and u have the same Senario ->
www.brstudio.com

U cant protect a doublicate instance, if an BackwardEngeneer has the force.

Check ur Windows Name :
BOOL CALLBACK CMyApp::searcher(HWND hWnd, LPARAM lParam)
{
    DWORD result;
    LRESULT ok = ::SendMessageTimeout(hWnd,
                                      UWM_ARE_YOU_ME,
                                      0, 0,
                                      SMTO_BLOCK |
                                      SMTO_ABORT_IF_HUNG,
                                      200,
                                      &result);
    if(ok == 0)
       return TRUE; // ignore this and continue
    if(result == UWM_ARE_YOU_ME)
    { /* found it */
        HWND * target = (HWND *)lParam;
        *target = hWnd;
        return FALSE; // stop search
    } /* found it */
    return TRUE; // continue search
} // CMyApp::searcher
//--------------------------------------------------------

BOOL CMyApp::InitInstance()
{
    bool AlreadyRunning;

    HANDLE hMutexOneInstance = ::CreateMutex( NULL, FALSE,
   _T("MYAPPNAME-088FA840-B10D-11D3-BC36-006067709674"));

          // what changes for the alternative solutions
          // is the UID in the above call
          // which will be replaced by a call on
          // createExclusionName

    AlreadyRunning = ( ::GetLastError() == ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS ||
                       ::GetLastError() == ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED);

And Create a Mutex :

> On 9 juin, 15:19, "Karsten Schulz" <kahnp...@freenet.de> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>> the internal processlist dont crrelates with users,they enumerate all
>> running Processes on the mashine.
>> U can easy count the name of ur modulename, by comparisation the
>> processlistnames.
>>
>> Te name of your Application u can find out on different ways:
>> char
>> Fname[MAX_PATH];GetModuleFileName(NULL,Fname,sizeof(Fname)/sizeof(Fname[0]));
>> or
>> LPCSTR pAppName=AfxGetApp()->m_pszAppName
>>
>> try it in a console app.
>>  greetings
>>    Karsten Schulz
>>
>> "Phil" <pbruy...@yahoo.com> schrieb im
>> Newsbeitragnews:c988a1a7-1a25-46c3-839c-11d664814130@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

>> > Thanks
>> > Can this code find instances of the application when run by the other
>> > users ?
>>
>> > -P
>
> I now see a major drawback to this solution: process.szExeFile
> contains the name of the .exe file (same thing for the module's name
> in it). Thus, if one creates a copy of the .exe file with another
> name, your code sees it as a different program, not as a new instance
> of the same program.
> -P

0
kahnpost (16)

Changing WinRM service/server port
Anyone know how to change the server/service port? I've created a listener, but I think I need to change the WinRM client and server to use the new port... PS C:\> Set-WSManInstance -ResourceURI winrm/config/service/DefaultPorts -Value @{HTTP="6000"} Set-WSManInstance : The WinRM client cannot process the request because it is trying to update a read-only setting. Rem ove this setting from the command and try again. At line:1 char:18 + Set-WSManInstance <<<< -ResourceURI winrm/config/service/DefaultPorts -Value @{HTTP="6000"} + Category...

How to handle abnormal user disconnection condition from server?
I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2. I developed a simple network application to send message inter-clients and the number of clients also only a few persons ( about less than 10 persons ). I have succeeded in establishing server-client and client-server connection, sending and receiving messages from client. Now my problem are: 1. I need to send a message from a client to other client. How to know that the message I sent will be received by the correct user intended, not missed to other user? 2. How to handle the condition of unexpected user disconnection from server? E.g. : the user worksta...

Adding 2nd server in an Exchange 5.5 environment
Is there an easy way to move the IMS connector from one Exchange 5.5 server to another? I recently added a new Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows 2000( No AD). Now I would like to move the IMS connector so I can remove the original mail server from the network. ( The Original server is a dog) I have just started this process and the goal is to get my old P2 system out of the network and replace it with a much faster Dual Xeon box, then upgrade the new mail server to Exchange 2000.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... -- Dale I believe the correct process is to instal...

How to Replace Numbers with Phrases
-- Jerry ...

Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5 problem
Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5, i get the following message box: "The name could not be resolved. The connection to the microsoft exchange server is unavailable. All other clients are able to connect and resolve the mailbox name. I can't ping and resolve the exchange server from the problems outlook client. The problems occur after i run repair the w2k pro. can anyone help? EL can not ping... well start with basic IP testing. use ipconfig /all from a command prompt on the misconfigured client. Check for DHCP default Gateway - make sure it looks like a client t...

Limited Password Protection
Is there way to put password protection for preventing modifications in original file. but still allow copy and paste from the original file to another? Thanks, Sameer Hi Sameer I'm afraid password protection is ON or OFF there's no limited protection AFAIK -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Sameer" wrote: > Is there way to put password protection for preventing modifications > in original file. but still allow copy and paste from the ...

Last day of posting via Microsoft server
Well, I guess this is the last day of posting via the Microsoft server. http://www.teranews.com/ Your own free account ($3.95 one time setup fee) that allows posting or use public.teranews.com without an account (no posting & speed capped). You can use any standard news client you choose to read and post to any newsgroup. Or Google it: http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&q=microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion&qt_s=Search God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto:BillHughes@billhughes.com http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm "D...

SQL Server Reporting Services Reports in Access
Using Access 2007 and SQL Server 2008. Is there a way to display SQL Server Reporting Services reports in Access 2007? If so, links to documentation/examples would be appreciated. -- AG Email: npATadhdataDOTcom Hi AG, No,there is no compatible interface for converting SSRS report to Access 2007 now.You may consider first export your SSRS report to an Excel file and then embed an OLE object "Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet". If you only need the data, you can directly import data from Excel to your Access database. Best regards, Charles Wa...

GP 10 and Terminial Server 2008
My customer is having issues with GP 10 sp4 and Terminal Server 2008. Whenever they are in one of the Navigation panes (Purchasing) and they choose an option in the navigation Pane other than the PURCHASING (ie VENDORS) they are kicked out of GP. Has anyone come across this? ...

Creating a CFormView application produces errors
Using Visual Studio.Net 2003 I have created a C++ MFC application with Single Document Interface and Document/View support, and have changed the base class for the derived View class to CFormView. All other settings are their defaults. When I compile the source code generated, I get an error stating that the base class CRichEditCntrItem is undefined in the declaration of the CRichEditCntrItem derived class. According to the Help, CRichEditCntrItem requires the header afxrich.h If I add this include into the stdafx.H file and recompile, I get a syntax error in the constructor for the CRic...

Protecting Application by Admin Password.
Hi All, How I can Protect my Mfc application by asking for Admin Password/ Username? Is there any API to do this? Any Samples will be of great Help. Thanks in Advance. Prash What's the purpose of that? Arbitrary applications should NOT ask for admin username/password, it's not their business. Only LSA should get them. <prashanthaputta@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:1172392260.217834.127740@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > > How I can Protect my Mfc application by asking for Admin Password/ > Username? Is there any API to do this? > > An...

Custom header numbering
Hi all, I have a question about formatting Header numbering throughout a new document (Word 2007). I'm trying to do the following: Heading 1 1.0 Heading 2 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.0 Heading 3 1.1.1 Heading 3 Heading 1 2.0 Heading 2 2.1 Heading 2 2.1.0 Heading 3 ... So it's an outline numbered / multilevel list, where Heading 1 has no numbering, and Heading 2 restarts numbering after a Heading 1 is used. I haven't been able to figure this one out for myselve. Can anyone help me on this one? Regards, Bert -- Neron Follow the instructions at ...

How to assign unique number to column duplicates?
Hi All, I need to assign a unique number to a set of duplicates all in one column in Excel 2007. so columnA will has about 9000 numbers, some of them unique, and others are duplicates of 2-4 approx. I used to conditional formatting to show which are duplicates, but need to be able to assign a unique number to each set duplicates, that will be in sequential order... e.g. ColumnA ColumnB(unique ID) 01233 0001 01233 0001 01234 - 01255 0002 01255 0002 etc.... Any ideas please? I don't know how to do programming, just form...

sorting numbers #5
Hi were have problems in sorting out our inventory item numbers. We have over 15,000 item numbers that can't be changed or zeros deleted. The problem is when there are zeros in the item number. Excell sort CA0002 CA00020 CA0021 CA02 CA021 CA02C Needs to be CA0002 CA02 CA02C CA00020 CA0021 CA021 Thanks Darkjedi -- darkjedi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ darkjedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29153 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=488748 Since I didn't re...

Get Start date of Week number and Year
I’d like to build the following expression in my query GetStartWeekNumber(DatePart("ww",[EnteredDate]), Year([EnteredDate])) So if EnteredDate = 11/3/2009 the function would return 11/1/2009 But GetStartWeekNumber does not exist as an Access Built-In Function. Is there another way to do this as an expression in a query? I’m not familiar with creating my own functions. Thanks. That would depend on how you define the start of the week... One option would be to get the day-of-week number of the date (in my system/setup, Monday is day 2), then subtract one less than that...

Access to Server
Hi All. I install CRM 1.2 in a Windows 2003 Server. From the server with a Administrator Logon and by the explorer, i access to CRM Administration without problems. If i use the Implemetation aplication or if i try to install the CRM Outlook, the message is: "The Localhost server is not responce" Thanks for a possible help. Hi, Can you do a 'nslookup' and 'ping' to the server name? "Rui Sousa" wrote: > Hi All. > > I install CRM 1.2 in a Windows 2003 Server. > > From the server with a Administrator Logon and by the explorer, i acces...

question about leaving messages on server
My husband and I have 1 POP mail account. I am accessing it from a computer in Virginia, where I'm staying with relatives. He is accessing the same account from California. I have my Outlook set up to keep messages on the server, but to delete them after 1 day (so that he will still get the messages, but the server won't get clogged). His email program, Eudora, is set up so the messages will be deleted from the server after he downloads them. Is there a chance I won't get some messages because he has his computer set up that way? (He downloads it 1st, then it gets deleted off serv...

Limiting data in a report
I have a field in my database that contains only single letters which refer to the specific type of data contained in the other fields. ("A" refers to one specific type while "B" refers to another, etc.) I am attempting to set up an input box which will allow the user to produce a report consisting of data related to "A", "B" or whichever type is desired. Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer) x = InputBox("C for Airmail, R for Revenues, O for Official Stamps. Leave blank for all") Reports![Wish List]![Prefix]![Criteria] = ...

I am having trouble keeping numbers formatted in a Pivot Table
I have a pivot table that won't stay formatted. The data is formatted as currency in the worksheet that the Pivot Table is drawing off of. It shows up as a general number in the Pivot. I've tried formatting it in the Pivot but it doesn't stay when I refresh the data. "Preserve formatting" is checked on the Pivot table, so it SHOULD be preserving any formatting I apply to the pivot table, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I know I could record a macro to format this, but it is happening on multiple Pivot tables in the same workbook and that would be a pain ...

upload form problem / server question
www.icingpictures.co.uk / win xp / frontpage 2003 Want to create a form with upload file form field - i read on this forum that the server type i use is important - it should be a windows type server with frontpage extensions - i currently use a linux server with front page extensions - do i need to change to a windows server? Thanks for taking a looka t my question. Joyce Yes, you must have a Windows Server, just like you stated you read. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "threademporium" <threademporiu...

Limit value for Storage Groups
Hello, we are running Exchange 2003 Standard edition. The limitation on Storage Groups for e.g. "Issue warning at(KB)" is default set by 2097151. I read that i can change this value by using ADSI Edit and edit the values mDBOverHardQuotaLimit mDBOverQuotaLimit mDBStorageQuota But each of them has a lots of values and i could not find out which one i have to edit. Could you please give me an advice? TIA helpi If you want to set a value bigger than 2GB for all users on an entire mailbox store, bring up the properties of that mailbox store in ADSIEdit and set the mDBStorageQuot...

One front-end server multiple back-end servers
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help with the following scenerio and make some suggestions as to an answer. We have 3 exchange AG groups. 1 AG group has 3 exchange servers in it, each located in it's own AD domain. 1 AG group has one exchange server in it, it's in its own AD domain. Thirdly, the last AG group has 2 exchange servers in it, both are in the same AD domain. 1 of these 2 exchange servers in the final AG mentioned is a front-end server, that should be supporting all the exchange back-end servers. The problem we are facing is that when a user from any of the ...

False number of unread messages
For the last week or so my folders list shows one unread message in my Inbox, but there are none. Anyone know how I can correct this please? "Ayrhead" <Ayrhead@discussions.com> wrote in message news:61EED10D-B8A6-4293-A60D-540E9E90C446@microsoft.com... > For the last week or so my folders list shows one unread message in my > Inbox, > but there are none. Anyone know how I can correct this please? View menu>current view>disable group messages by conversation should reveal the missing message. -- Regards Steve. MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK. ht...

Re: limit numbers of connections to one server
hi there :-) my pop3 server is limited to 10 query per sec. and per ip. i have abou 16 mail-accounts on this server. the last 6 allways error with timeou or something. is there a way to limit the number of connections to one server i outlook 2002 on windows xp pro? thanks a lo - jazzy_ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message674073.htm Set your send/receive settings to consecutive mail checks, rather than conc...

Exchange server and POP3 access
Hi All, I am using Outlook 2003 and have to access an exchange server for work. I also have several POP3 accounts that I access. It all works pretty well, with one aggravation. When I want to send email through one of the POP3 accounts, I select it from the accounts button when composing the message. The problem is that it sends it through the exchange server account, though the return address is correct. I would like it to send the email through the account specified in the configuration for the POP3 account. Why this is an issue, is that the copy of the sent mail is stored in the s...