How to hide project's implementation files

Hi Group

I have a App project and it contains many classes.
I  want to hand the project to my junior but allowing him only to
modify/look in  a certain classes only (to meet certain client's spec).
have removed the cpp files that i want to hide and inserted its .obj
file
only.
Since there will be release and debug version conflict i have included
the
release version only. So that means the project can compile without
error in
release version

Is this approch ok, ?
The best way is to make the classes into dll , but i dont have time to
do
that right now.

-Then how can i hide the resource (the dialog etc) in a same manner.

Regards

0
jamesg (42)
6/22/2005 1:07:49 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I've been in this situation several times, where I'm given only a subset to work on. But
one thing I insist on is both release and debug versions of the object files, because
otherwise it is impossible to build a version I can debug effectively.

Often creating a DLL is difficult or impossible; sometimes I work in "middleware", that
is, something above the raw functionality but nothing that could be integrated well into a
single DLL, or which would allow what I interface to as a set of DLLs. But the
debug/release is critical.

What I do is put all these object files in a separate subdirectory of Debug and Release,
so they are not accidentally deleted (of course they're also under "source" control...",
and direct the linker to use these subdirectories as part of the link.

It is safe to assume you cannot hide the resource, unless you do not allow any editing of
the resources at all and deliver only the .res file. But there is no "separate
compilation" of resources (alas). So either you have to deliver a fully-editable .rc file,
or there can be no resources added (usually a Bad Idea because there's no way to add
strings to the STRINGTABLE, which in most of the work I do would make it impossible to do
any work at all).
					joe

On 21 Jun 2005 18:07:49 -0700, "beauwlf" <jamesg@pd.jaring.my> wrote:

>Hi Group
>
>I have a App project and it contains many classes.
>I  want to hand the project to my junior but allowing him only to
>modify/look in  a certain classes only (to meet certain client's spec).
>have removed the cpp files that i want to hide and inserted its .obj
>file
>only.
>Since there will be release and debug version conflict i have included
>the
>release version only. So that means the project can compile without
>error in
>release version
>
>Is this approch ok, ?
>The best way is to make the classes into dll , but i dont have time to
>do
>that right now.
>
>-Then how can i hide the resource (the dialog etc) in a same manner.
>

>Regards

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/22/2005 3:34:15 AM
VC7 can handle multiple rc files (I suppose each RC file begats its own .RS
file and linker is able to gather them all). Then a foreign resource script
can be imported in compiled .RS form, without its source.

> I've been in this situation several times, where I'm given only a subset
> to work on. But
> one thing I insist on is both release and debug versions of the object
> files, because
> otherwise it is impossible to build a version I can debug effectively.
>
> Often creating a DLL is difficult or impossible; sometimes I work in
> "middleware", that
> is, something above the raw functionality but nothing that could be
> integrated well into a
> single DLL, or which would allow what I interface to as a set of DLLs. But
> the
> debug/release is critical.
>
> What I do is put all these object files in a separate subdirectory of
> Debug and Release,
> so they are not accidentally deleted (of course they're also under
> "source" control...",
> and direct the linker to use these subdirectories as part of the link.
>
> It is safe to assume you cannot hide the resource, unless you do not allow
> any editing of
> the resources at all and deliver only the .res file. But there is no
> "separate
> compilation" of resources (alas). So either you have to deliver a
> fully-editable .rc file,
> or there can be no resources added (usually a Bad Idea because there's no
> way to add
> strings to the STRINGTABLE, which in most of the work I do would make it
> impossible to do
> any work at all).
> joe

0
alegr (1131)
6/22/2005 4:15:15 AM
Thanks for the advice joseph!

0
jamesg (42)
6/22/2005 6:47:18 AM
"beauwlf" <jamesg@pd.jaring.my> wrote in message

> I have a App project and it contains many classes.
> I  want to hand the project to my junior but allowing him only to
> modify/look in  a certain classes only (to meet certain client's spec).

Allowing someone to modify certain files only makes sense, but everywhere
I've worked this has been achieved as follows:

(1) You tell them what they are and are not allowed to modify.
(2) If they do accidentally change the wrong thing through misunderstanding
you this is hardly a problem, you just back the changes out in the version
control system.
(3) If they deliberately disobey instructions then normal management
procedures apply, just as they would if the disobeyed instructions didn't
involve source code.

I have never come across a requirement not to allow a junior to *see*
certain source files - where does this come from?

--
Tim Ward

tw2 (223)
6/22/2005 8:58:51 AM
I am facing a problem now.. if i try to compile the program at the
other programmer's pc.. i am getting this error
xxxfiles.obj : error LNK2011: precompiled object not linked in; image
may not run

But i dont have this error if i compile in my pc, but if i change the
project directory name.. then i face the same link error.
So how to work around this ?
It happens both on Release  and Debug setting.

Regards

0
jamesg (42)
6/22/2005 10:17:47 AM
It is extremely sad that useful features are so badly packaged in a IDE that is clearly
designed by a someone who never actually wrote code using MFC, and consequently is
completely unusable.
				joe

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:15:15 -0700, "Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:

>VC7 can handle multiple rc files (I suppose each RC file begats its own .RS
>file and linker is able to gather them all). Then a foreign resource script
>can be imported in compiled .RS form, without its source.

>> I've been in this situation several times, where I'm given only a subset
>> to work on. But
>> one thing I insist on is both release and debug versions of the object
>> files, because
>> otherwise it is impossible to build a version I can debug effectively.
>>
>> Often creating a DLL is difficult or impossible; sometimes I work in
>> "middleware", that
>> is, something above the raw functionality but nothing that could be
>> integrated well into a
>> single DLL, or which would allow what I interface to as a set of DLLs. But
>> the
>> debug/release is critical.
>>
>> What I do is put all these object files in a separate subdirectory of
>> Debug and Release,
>> so they are not accidentally deleted (of course they're also under
>> "source" control...",
>> and direct the linker to use these subdirectories as part of the link.
>>
>> It is safe to assume you cannot hide the resource, unless you do not allow
>> any editing of
>> the resources at all and deliver only the .res file. But there is no
>> "separate
>> compilation" of resources (alas). So either you have to deliver a
>> fully-editable .rc file,
>> or there can be no resources added (usually a Bad Idea because there's no
>> way to add
>> strings to the STRINGTABLE, which in most of the work I do would make it
>> impossible to do
>> any work at all).
>> joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/22/2005 4:16:21 PM
I've not hit this one. Reading the text of the message, it suggests that xxxfiles.obj is
the file you compile to create a precompiled header, and according to the error
description, that module must be linked in. So it suggests that xxxfiles.obj is not part
of the linker command line, and should be.
					joe

On 22 Jun 2005 03:17:47 -0700, "beauwlf" <jamesg@pd.jaring.my> wrote:

>I am facing a problem now.. if i try to compile the program at the
>other programmer's pc.. i am getting this error
>xxxfiles.obj : error LNK2011: precompiled object not linked in; image
>may not run
>
>But i dont have this error if i compile in my pc, but if i change the
>project directory name.. then i face the same link error.
>So how to work around this ?
>It happens both on Release  and Debug setting.
>

>Regards

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/22/2005 4:21:42 PM
I'm not sure why it would exist within a company with company employees, but it is
frequently done with outside contractors, such as myself. Fairly often I have been given a
system with 300 object files, of which I have source code for perhaps 20.

If the only issue is to prohibit change, simply giving the programmer read-only access to
the shared source should suffice.
				joe

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:58:51 +0100, "Tim Ward" <tw2@ipaccess.com> wrote:

>"beauwlf" <jamesg@pd.jaring.my> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a App project and it contains many classes.
>> I  want to hand the project to my junior but allowing him only to
>> modify/look in  a certain classes only (to meet certain client's spec).
>
>Allowing someone to modify certain files only makes sense, but everywhere
>I've worked this has been achieved as follows:
>
>(1) You tell them what they are and are not allowed to modify.
>(2) If they do accidentally change the wrong thing through misunderstanding
>you this is hardly a problem, you just back the changes out in the version
>control system.
>(3) If they deliberately disobey instructions then normal management
>procedures apply, just as they would if the disobeyed instructions didn't
>involve source code.
>
>I have never come across a requirement not to allow a junior to *see*
>certain source files - where does this come from?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/22/2005 4:23:51 PM
> I have never come across a requirement not to allow a junior to *see*
> certain source files - where does this come from?

Well the policy is simple ; The given project codes are to be edited,
the
ones not given are not to be edited.
But they do get to see all the codes of the object files, they would
need to
come up with such type of classes too eventually. And they are supposed
use the same obj file for other projects too. So Its some kind of
encapsulation, you use the class as it is without the need to know the
inner
working of that class.

Thanks
Regards

Regards

0
jamesg (42)
6/26/2005 11:59:51 PM
At the original project, I had to select Not using precompiled headers
from the C/C++ tab under the
precompiled headers catagory, Then the linker error is gone.

by default all projects are created with use precompiled header file
selected. I still dont know why it caused the error.

Thanks

0
jamesg (42)

error loading xml file
hello, the $xml loaded the xml file and it did store the xml as a property, but it won't display on screen. i need some help navigate out of the dark many thanks PSH �� $xml = new xml PSH �� $xml.load("h:\windowspowershell\template.xml") PSH �� $xml format-default : Object reference not set to an instance of an object. + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [format-default], NullReferenceException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.FormatDefaultCommand Not 100% sure what you are trying to do here but for a star...

Sample CVS file for data Import
Hi Guys, I am very new to the Microsoft CRM 3.0. I have to import some data from a different application. I don't know what column do I need in cvs file to import Parent, Sub Account and Contact data. Could anybody let me send or a link from where I get some help about cvs file columns. Your help is much appriciated. Regards ...

Import a PDF File into an Access 2007 Report
How can I import a PDF file to show up on an Access 2007 Report I'm trying to create. If I have to convert to a .JPEG file can you tell me how to do this please? Thanks -- Alison Nice three days later and no help....thanks again for the no response. Do any of the MVP's actually know what they are doing, maybe not since they don't seem to freaking respond. At one time I thought this was a pretty good forum to go to, obviously its gone down hill. Thanks for nothing -- Alison "alison.justice" wrote: > How can I import a PDF file to sho...

My file menu does not display "Send this page as message" or any .
I created an email newsletter using the email newsletter template. The only thing I see under File is to send the entire document as an attachment. Pub 2003 is supposed to be able to send the page as an email. If I try to cut and paste, it loses all formating. Why doesn't my File menu display what it's supposed to display? This article will help http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524821033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "hungryformore" <hungryformore@discussions.microsoft....

Help with a batch file
I have an application to image my hard disk partitions. I can run the application from commandline, specifying, among othjer options, the partition to target, and the location and name of the output image file. Here's what I want to do. List all the existing image files in the output path. They will be in the format C_Drive-001.tbi, and C_Drive-002.tbi etc. I want to find the seqence number of the last file, and use it to generate the filename for the next file. In this case it will be C_Drive-003.tbi. On the succesfull completion of the image, then delete the oldest ima...

Hyperlinks to files on network drivers
Hello, I have a problems with creation of hyperlinks to files on company network drivers. I have a name for a link in a cell. Than I follow routine and press hyperlink button, etc. Pressing OK and created. It works. After an Excel file is closed and reopened it does not work. When I try edit hyperlink I can see something like this: '../../../../Groups/EEDS/COMMON/QUALITY...'. In my situation 'G:/EEDS/...' is replaced with '../../../../Groups/EEDS/...'. What is going on? Where did those dots and slashes come from? Thank you for your help. Regards, Fornol ...

outlook is blocking .jpg files as attachments
please help. Icannot seem to be able to find my security settings , that will allow me to release the files to the e-mails Try Tool>Options>Security and uncheck "Do not allow Attachments.... TonySper "yeovil beechwood" <yeovil beechwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B061CD93-6B8F-4F11-8971-B98A7D067799@microsoft.com... please help. Icannot seem to be able to find my security settings , that will allow me to release the files to the e-mails Version of Outlook? Are they blocked as attachments so you can't open them or blocked in an h...

Excel files are 'read only' when accessed over network.
How do I make them accessible please. Also I cannot get access to Windows folder via network. Ideally I would like to get access to everything over the network if I need to. I have ticked sharing and security boxes. Since these are network drives, you may want to have your IT folks look at it and see if you have access to the drives/folders you need. gracenote wrote: > > How do I make them accessible please. > > Also I cannot get access to Windows folder via network. Ideally I > would like to get access to everything over the network if I need to. > I have ticked sharing...

Can't find msnp 32.dll file
WHEN I LOG ON I GET A DIALOG BOX STATING "UNABLE TO LOAD THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY "MSNP 32.DLL" THE SYSTEM CAN'T FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED. SOME OR ALL OF THE FOWLING FEATURES IS NOT AVAILABLE. MICROSOFT NETWORK ...

MDBDATA files
Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\ I have a lot of files beginning with E000001-E0000F07 using 25GB of disk space. Yes I need to free up some disk space. I have read article Q151214 but Im not sure if it is ok to delete because I don't see the other log files that are mentioned. Like (Edb.log),(Edb00000.log), (Dlv.log),(Snd.log),(Dlvxxxx.log) or (Sndxxxx.log). If you have any information that may help please email me. Thanks, Donnie Does your backup not work? How about running an Exchange aware backup which will clear the logs for you? "DBraswell (MDBDATA) @2si.com" <anonymous@dis...

lookup and match from another excel file
Curious if someone can help. I have a dispatch log that I made for m company, I would like to set up a payroll system that will automaticl pull all rows that meet a certain name and date range. and put it o another new sheet for that weeks payroll if anyone has some ideas le me know, I can post an example of my dispatch log if needed. Thanks Sorry Sort of newb to this. Actually here is the file, I have macros on it for sorting Attachment filename: new daily log.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=63792 -- Message posted from ht...

Problem Downloading Account Data (OFX files) in Money Plus Deluxe
Online updating works fine for those accounts that allow free access. One bank charges a fee for this but will allow you to download an OFX file. Previous versions of Money had no problem reading the OFX file. Money Plus ingnores them. The format of the files looks fine. Money Plus is the default program for OFX files and screen switches to Money when I do a download but no transactions show up. -- MJJ In microsoft.public.money, MJJ wrote: >Online updating works fine for those accounts that allow free access. One >bank charges a fee for this but will allow you to download an OFX...

Previous Excel Files
You know how Excel lists the four most recently used workbooks under the "File" menu for easy access. Well I have lost this feature everytime I closed down Excel and open it again. Is there a way of switching this feature on & off? Would appreciate anyone's help. Hi Yes there is a way to switch it off and on... Go to Tools>Options>General tab. There is a checkbox for Recently Used File List and a box for number of files to list. Please note that when you switch it back on it will only list the files you open/save from now on so it will not list recent files op...

How to integrate Chunk file with GP.
Hello everyone, I am new to GP. I have got a chunk file from a customer. That chunk file contains an HR module created by someone for that customer. Now, customer wants that all the business logic should be transfered from Dexterity to .Net managed code. For that he provided me a chunk file, and database backup (SQL Server). Now when I placed the chunk file into the GP folder and start GP, pop-up asks me to include new code, if I press yes then that new code is included. Here, I need to clearify that currently I am working on Sample Company (because, I can not find any way to start GP...

File path not found in Outlook 2007
We have several users who have lately been receiving this error when they try to send an email from Outlook 2007. The machines are XP SP3, we are using Exchange 2003, which is updated. Any suggestions or help? I have an angry General Manager. I just realized that the error isn't listed in the body of the text below. The error that we are receiving is "File path not found." The only time that we encounter this error is when there are attachments that have been added or forwarded. Your help is greatly appreciated! "Jerry Walker" wrote: > We ...

multiple fies updating one file
Hi, How would I setup an excel sheet that needs to collect numbers from other excel sheets. The rows and fields numbers will keep growing. I know how to reference a cell in a file but not sure how you can quickly create a reference to a range of cells and how about when the range keeps growing. Thank you Hi Vic; You can select and copy the range you want to link, then go to then go to the receiving sheet and click the top right cell. Click Edit / Paste Special and select Paste Link. This will link the entire range. If you happen to be running Office 2007 you can right click into the ...

Use Money 2002 Files in Money 2008
HI, How can I convert or use my Money 2002 files in Money 2008 Trial. Thanks. -- Smith Assuming that M2002 and M2008 are both from the same geography you just install M2008, navigate to the .mny file and double click on the file name. If M2002 is non-US version, the quick answer is "you don't". :-( -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Smith" <Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6962F8A...

HELP! When I removed Office XP did I lose by inbox file?
I didn't archive my inbox and personal folders before removing Office XP. Now I have reinstalled Office XP and thought I could find my old data files. but all of the import and repair tools work with PST which I don't have. I remember that previously there were seperate inbox files and can not find them now. Thank you for your input. Ron Be sure to show hidden and system files on your computer and then do a search for *.pst. This should get you started... "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093b01c3ba63$265a8120$a401280a@phx.gbl....

Excel files cannot open.
my office version is office 2000 SR-1,when open it ,Only any of the files appears error message" Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by the windows.you will need to restart the rogram. An error log is being created."But these files is very important,please ask for help,thanks lot. "benson.chen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:052001c3d973$fffcf460$a401280a@phx.gbl: > my office version is office 2000 SR-1,when open it ,Only > any of the files appears error message" Excel.exe has > generated errors and will b...

A tradeoff between readability and file size?
What would you prefer guys - not pixilated graphics and great readability, unfortunately by accepting big files, or the other way around? I got quite disappointed when my crisp-clear PDF documents declined terribly when printed to OneNote, and further from OneNote to my printer. If there is no user-defined quality setting here, or a bug fix(?), the idea of using Office OneNote 2007 as a "print queue" for later paper print-outs, is lost! Regards, Henrik __________ Information fr�n ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version av virussignaturdatabas 4903 (20100228) _________...

FRx
We have an FRx report containing 12 columns - one for each month. We are using the P<=B Print Control in the column layout to only print those months that are less than or equal to the Base Period. When we generate a report that contains six months or more and export it to an .XLS spreadhsheet it looks fine. However, if the report contains less than six months (fewer columns), we don't get our report heading. Is this due to a setup option somewhere in the catalog id? Have you checked the "Header Options" under your column layout? Look at the "spread from and ...

How do I open a .pub file in publisher?
A customer sent me a .pub file. I had 97 version to no avail. Bought 2003 to no avail. How can I open the unknown version in an application with internal inconsistancy. I believe the current version of Publisher, 2003 will open all previous versions of Publisher files. Publisher 2003 requires Windows 2000 or XP. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Oscar" <Oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2829F96-69EC-4E36-92A4-AD2A552F8101@microsoft.com... >A customer sent me a .pub file. I had 97 version to no avail. Bought 2003 >to > no avail. How can I open the...

Find touched files since a specific timestamp
Hi, Given the name of a folder, what's the best way to find the list of files (include files in sub-directories) that were changed since a specific timestamp? I tried to add the list of files to a CStringArray and then sort them. But it took a while to process some 1000 files. There must be a better way. Please advise. Best, Isaac http://www.globalrendering.com Which sorting method have you used? qsort does 1000 sorting in several ms. Anyway, if you want to get files in a date range, just check date before adding to array, use CFileFind. -- Igor Green, Grig Software. www.gri...

IS size vs EDB file size?? I don't get it!!
I am using Standard version of Ex 5.5. I realize the 16gig limit. My question is I have added up the Kbyte in Ex Admin and it does not come close to the actual size of the priv.edb file. I have done an offline defrag also but did not get any amount of space back. I have been through the MS knowledge base and have read the articles on this subject. The kbyte size is 1.6gig and my edb file size is 14.1gig. What is using over 12gig of space??? Any ideas would be very much appreciated. I don't have 12gig of rules as the MS knowledgebase suggests. "Orlando" <Oplasencia@tp...

dial a telephone number using the modem,and playing an audio file when the person lifts up telepone
I wanted to make a vb application which would dial a telephone number using the modem. When the person on the other end lifts up the telephone (answers the phone), the application should start playing an audio file(eg. .wav file). The approach I took was using the Tapi. As my modem is connected to the serial port on my computer I send AT commands to make the phone call . This is working fine and the call is being placed. I wanted to know whether this is possible at all? Whether I am approaching the wrong way? If it is possible, then please give some suggestions or samples(vb or vc). If it is...