How to get current File Pointers Physical Position on Drive/CD/DVD...

Hi,

i am looking for a way to get the current file pointers position on the
Media
i want to read/write. The Application will be written in .NET (2.0). Are
there
any Win32 Functions to retreive the position on the Media, e.g. Drive
Sector/
Cluster, etc...

TIA

Best regards

Kerem G�mr�kc�

0
kareem114 (144)
10/17/2006 9:45:36 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

is this helpful .........????
http://ext2read.sourceforge.net/documentation/inside-hard-disk/
"Kerem G�mr�kc�" <kareem114@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> i am looking for a way to get the current file pointers position on the
> Media
> i want to read/write. The Application will be written in .NET (2.0). Are
> there
> any Win32 Functions to retreive the position on the Media, e.g. Drive
> Sector/
> Cluster, etc...
>
> TIA
>
> Best regards
>
> Kerem G�mr�kc�

0
mubi (158)
10/18/2006 1:00:29 PM
"Mubashir Khan" <mubi@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> is this helpful .........????
> http://ext2read.sourceforge.net/documentation/inside-hard-disk/
> "Kerem G�mr�kc�" <kareem114@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am looking for a way to get the current file pointers position on the
>> Media
>> i want to read/write. The Application will be written in .NET (2.0). Are
>> there
>> any Win32 Functions to retreive the position on the Media, e.g. Drive
>> Sector/
>> Cluster, etc...
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Kerem G�mr�kc�

Hi Mubashir,

sorry, it does not help me. Thanks anyway!

Best regards

Kerem G�mr�kc�

0
kareem114 (144)
10/19/2006 5:44:06 AM
It almost certainly won't help.  It deals with obsolete operating systems, and features
that are non-portable across Windows platforms, and which require Administrator rights to
use, when they are reliable at all.

You can pretty much assume that it is impossible to obtain information about physical
locations on any media when working from user space.  A problem that requires this should
probably be respecified so nonexistent APIs are not required.  Note that even if you could
figure out how to do this in Windows, it will probably not work on a lot of machines
because of higher-level security policies, and the chances that anything like this could
work on Vista are so vanishingly small that such designs should be considered extremely
risky.
					joe

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:00:29 -0500, "Mubashir Khan" <mubi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>is this helpful .........????
>http://ext2read.sourceforge.net/documentation/inside-hard-disk/
>"Kerem G�mr�kc�" <kareem114@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am looking for a way to get the current file pointers position on the
>> Media
>> i want to read/write. The Application will be written in .NET (2.0). Are
>> there
>> any Win32 Functions to retreive the position on the Media, e.g. Drive
>> Sector/
>> Cluster, etc...
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Kerem G�mr�kc�

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

PUB File Viewer
Is there a PUB file viewer available? I have someone creating PUB files and sending them to me to review and I don't have Microsoft Publisher. Thanks in advance for any help... No, there not a Publisher Viewer. Have that person convert the file to a ,pdf and send you that for proofing. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Ray Mooney" <ray@mooney.net> wrote in message news:O7FjFXUjEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there a PUB file viewer available? > > I have someone creating PUB files and sending them to me to review and I > don't have ...

Get error message 0x800CCC131 evreytime I try to send e-mail Can anybody h send
I assume you're using a Hotmail account? That error message is something saying that Outlook has sent a bad request. Generally, this comes from a proxy server or firewall that doesn't understand the HTTP/DAV protocol that is used to talk to Hotmail. I'd say that someone (either your ISP or your network administrator) recently installed or reconfigured a proxy server between you and the Internet. Contact the proper person and ask them to either upgrade or reconfigure in order to support HTTP/DAV. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS&quo...

Access 2007 help file
I am using Access 2007. I cannot get any help information for Visual Basic. When in Visual Basic if I hit the help menu icon, I get an online help window to open, but every time I try to get information on "DAO reference" and follow the thread to the information I want, the answer screen is blank---i.e. no information at all; no words, no nothing! Did I install wrongly? Is this something new Turn off the option to search online help so that you are only using help from your computer. On the bottom right side of the online help screen, click the icon and change the ...

Embed Date/Time on existing Video File
I am creating a number of video files that have come from IP Cameras. I need to be able to embed the Date/Time into the file, so that when it plays, you see the current date/time appearing on the screen. I know the start time of the file. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to do this, either directly in VB, or if there is an ActiveX component around to do this. This has to be an automated process, rather than by hand. Thanks -Jerry Not sure if still current but I saw few years (?!) ago DirectShow Editing Services which was part of DirectX and is now at : http...

2000 File Export Issue
Running Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711) and trying to export a date range to Excel. I'm following the instructions, but all I get are the column headings -- no data. What am I doing wrong? ...

Deliver new email to pst file
If I change the location new email is delivered to by following the instructions below, will this work if outlook is closed? On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts. Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next. In the Deliver new e-mail to the following location list, select where you want to the new messages delivered. Click Finish. Yes, the new mail will be delivered to the location you specify the next = time Outlook is opened and polls for mail. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited ma...

Transfering XLM files between computers....
Hy!! Can someone tell me please how to do this type of work done by using C#...... Sorry, XML files,not XLM.... My mistake.... "Pilence" <ddinjar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e4k342$pre$1@news2.carnet.hr... > Hy!! > > Can someone tell me please how to do this type of work done by using > C#...... > Pilence wrote: > Can someone tell me please how to do this type of work done by using > C#...... An Xml file is not different from other files in the file system or on the network so you can use tools like FTP to transfer files. Your requ...

Money 98 from the Works installation CD
I have upgraded to Windows 7, I backed up my Money 98 to my external HD. I now cannot reload my Money 98 program from the Works CD as it states their is a compatibility issue. Anyone have a solution for this other than getting a newer version of Money? RobertV" <RobertV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9B0B30C-BDDC-4EBA-A974-CD80EBCD4B7A@microsoft.com... > I have upgraded to Windows 7, I backed up my Money 98 to my external HD. I > now cannot reload my Money 98 program from the Works CD as it states their > is > a compatibility issue. Anyo...

Excel 2007: get formula from charttitle
I have been using this code to get a formula from a charttitle: oChart.Activate sTitle = ExecuteExcel4Macro("GET.FORMULA(""Title"")") It no longer works in excel 2007. Can someone tell me how to get a formula from a charttitle using VBA? Thanks b This sounds so familiar. I believe I've reported this as a bug. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ <be_675@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:95e87c55-280b-42b1-8415-6c2cd0d0a8a2@v17g2000hsa.goog...

File Download Error
We recently had to do a database reattachment and subsequent new CRM 4.0 install for a customer who experienced a virus attack. Everything is stable and working but whenever we try to hit one of the Notes>>File attachment - we get a File Download Error and it won't find the link to the original document. We can't attach new files either. Anybody see this before? ...

Publisher 07 default files
Good morning. I have a question about setting defaults and I hope someone can help me. I have a user who would like to set her default file open to a certain location; has anyone set this up for Publisher 2007? Thank you in advance -- Diane Publisher 07 does not have this default as an option. You can create a Publisher folder, add to "My Places", when you save a Publisher document the folder will be one click away. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Diane" <Diane@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Saving files with macros
I use to be able to set the protection properties to enable macros and everything with macros would work without halting. Now in 2007 I must save in ..xlsm format for this to happen. I am the only person on my computer and it's real pain to remember to file as a special format when I have created macros. Is there way to just allow macros period? -- Skip Using Office 2003 Pro 2007 Student version There is a setting in Office | Excel Options that saves all files as macro-enabled best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from emai...

.msi File Editing
I aplogize for posting this message here. I did not know where else to post it. If there is a more appropriate newsgroup, please point me to it. I have a .msi file created for installing Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2006 from an administrative image. This file was created when a prior server was in use. The new server has a different name and now the pathing contained within the file is no longer valid. The folder structure on the new server is the same, only the server name in the pathing needs to be changed. I would like to know how to edit the .msi file to change the serv...

how can I get matching to work? (M06)
All of my accounts sync online After it syncs, how do I match up the payments from my checking account which are credit card payments with the transactions in the various credit card accounts that are those payments? I have read through the help and just keep going in circles. If I change the category for a credit card payment to the credit card account, it just creates a new transaction in the credit card account. It seems to me that there should be a way to get these payments to match up automatically, and if not automatically there definitely should be a way for me to match them up ...

How do I insert several documents into one folder or file
I need to combine several word documents into a file or folder so that that folder can be sent as an attachment on e-mails On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:55:01 -0700, Elephant1 wrote: > I need to combine several word documents into a file or folder so that that > folder can be sent as an attachment on e-mails Word Documents? You have posted this message to the wrong newsgroup. The access in this groups name refers to Microsoft Access, a database program. Please repost to the correct newsgroup for whatever version of the Word program you are using. I would suggest you include your Windows a...

Unable to open .DOC file. FILE DOWNLOAD box appears
Got a new pc a few months back with Vista home premium. Transferred files from old pc, was able to open old documents ok. But now when I try to open any .doc file (including those recently created from email attachments) I get the "file download" box and when I click "open" the box just pops back up again. Can open files created with Works and other programs ok. (Sometimes when I am doing this I get the "Windows Explorer wants to close" message.) I have the disc to upgrade to Windows 7 which I assume will fix the problem. Any suggestions for a quick ...

Macro Error: Unable to get Var property
My macro appears to have trouble calculating variance (using th worksheet function) for a range of cells I have. The code I have is: Lead_Y = ((WorksheetFunction.count("A:A") - 1) WorksheetFunction.Var("A:A")) / WorksheetFunction.Var(Original_Y) Where Original_Y is defined as: Set Original_Y = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A3:A300") My error is: Run-time error '1004': Unable to get the Var property of the WorksheetFunction class Any ideas why I might be getting this message would be tremendousl appreciated. Thanks, -Pet -- Message poste...

Opening Publisher file
When I send a Publisher file as an attachment, I always try to open it before sending to make sure it's ok. I get the message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." Just now someone tried to send me a Publisher file as an attachment and I got the same message. I'm using Publisher 2003, Outlook 2003 for e-mail -- Donna in Idaho Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: www.LinusIdaho.org http://community.webshots.com/user/donnakwilts Remove "invalid" to reply Do you get error number 1605? See if reading this artic...

tax filing
Hello Everyone, I bought MS Money 2004 this year so that I could file my federal tax return for free. Well, I have used hrblock.com now for 3 years (this will be my fourth) and I can not get their site to understand that I am entitled to a free federal filing. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any solutions out there? It is going to cost me an aditional $25 to file my taxes which I thought I didn't have to pay. I have emailed the hrblock support staff with no answer. Jeff BTW, I did use the "Returning Customer" link since I had used hrblock before. I certainl...

Multi sheet Excel file overwrites to single page PDF file

Would like a refund for 2005 / How to return cd to Microsoft?
I have given up on Money 2005. (Small Business). I have opted to switch to another software solution. My only problem now is how to get a refund from Microsoft? Where to I send the program CD. I"m not sure the program is even worth the plastic it is imprinted on.... Anyone knows how to get a refund? How to return the CD? Regards and Switched, Nelson Santini Can you tell me what other solution you tried? Thanks Frank http://www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm?SD=gn&LN=en-us&gssnb=1 -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support....

Comments get out of alinement
I have a couple of thousand rows with a hundred comments which I'm showing. When I edit some data which will make a cell larger or smaller it will throw all my comments which I'm showing out of whack. What can I do about this? Debra Dalgleish has some macros that will resize or reposition the comments: http://contextures.com/xlcomments03.html Richard wrote: > > I have a couple of thousand rows with a hundred comments which I'm showing. > When I edit some data which will make a cell larger or smaller it will throw > all my comments which I'm showing out of wh...

Application Data redirection
I have a policy set to redirect users desktop and application data folders to a share. The test computer is windows XP running Office 2003. The odd thing is the folders are different on the servers vs what's on the local desktop. The server and desktop also have different files in the \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder, which stores the users archive.pst file.\ The server has the following 2 files in the redirected folder Default Outlook Profile.xml Default Outlook Profile.srs The desktop has these files archive.pst extended.pst Is this behavior by default? Is there a way...

microsoft excell file converter for quatro pro 7
I am wondering how to convert quatro pro 6 and 7 files to excell format. I have Office xp professional specifically version excell 2002. If any one can give me assistance on this I would be appreciated I've never had to do it but excel does support quatro pro. i'm not sure about your versions. click file>open. at the bottom ,click the down arrow of the type of file box. scroll to and select quatro pro/dos this will light up all quatro pro file. open and save as excel. I would try one first then look it over to make sure that all went well. >-----Original Message----- &...