How to detect whether the internet connection is broken

I use the Socket. I connect my client to a NNTP Server. I think the
connection will be broken by the Server if my client is idle for an unknown
period of time. The server closes the connection without sending any
acknowledgement. I have no idea on how to detect whether the connection is
broken or not. Can anyone have any idea? Thanks.

0
honfung3 (17)
12/26/2003 11:00:04 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Franz wrote:

> I use the Socket. I connect my client to a NNTP Server. I think the
> connection will be broken by the Server if my client is idle for an unknown
> period of time. The server closes the connection without sending any
> acknowledgement. I have no idea on how to detect whether the connection is
> broken or not. Can anyone have any idea? Thanks.

When the server closes the connection the OnClose function in your
CSocket-derived class will be called.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp1 (239)
12/26/2003 1:47:20 PM
Thanks

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <scottmcp@mvps.org.nowhere> �b�l��
news:eolEJc7yDHA.2452@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl �����g...
> Franz wrote:
>
> > I use the Socket. I connect my client to a NNTP Server. I think the
> > connection will be broken by the Server if my client is idle for an
unknown
> > period of time. The server closes the connection without sending any
> > acknowledgement. I have no idea on how to detect whether the connection
is
> > broken or not. Can anyone have any idea? Thanks.
> >

> When the server closes the connection the OnClose function in your
> CSocket-derived class will be called.
>
> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
honfung3 (17)

Detecting when parent is about to change
Is there a way to detect when the parent of a control is about to change? I am aware of the ParentChanged event but that happens too late. I don't see any ParentChanging event. Thanks, Mike On Jan 22, 10:52=A0am, Mike <MLM...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to detect when the parent of a control is about to > change? I am aware of the ParentChanged event but that happens too > late. I don't see any ParentChanging event. > > Thanks, > Mike Just what is causing the parent to change? On Jan 22, 12:03=A0pm, Joe Cool <joecool1...@live.com&g...

System Customization
When I try to customize any form in CRM I receive an error message: Microsoft CRM Application Error Report: Error Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Error Details: Not Applicable Error Number: Not Applicable Source File: Line Number: Date: 01-05-2005 Time: 3:13:16 PM Type: Application Error (1) Server: sdscrm01 Query String: /Tools/ViewEditor/viewManager.aspxid={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001009} Microsoft CRM Unhand...

sever crash when connecting use remote desktop clients
Windows 2008 Server x64. Set to allow only one session to logon. It crash randomly when logon by using remote desktop clients. I got crash dumps, dont know where to send it to. Not every crash crashed at the same position. But it looks like it related to device io , maybe possible graphic driver? But I try upgrade nivdia's driver every time, but no help at all. The problem been more annoying when using mac remote desktop client, almost crash everytime, unless server just booted up. ---------- Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.402 X86 Copyright (c...

Connection filtering exceptions?
In Exchange 2003 SP2 - Global Settings - Message Delivery - Message Delivery Properties - Connection Filtering - Exceptions - under "add the SMTP addresses of recipients..." - - can one add say "*@gmail.com" to say allow anyone sending from a gmail account to bypass the RBL's setup? Will the asterick act as a wildcard, or does one need to put a specific email addressing in here? Thanks in advance - Dodge On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:47:02 -0800, Dodge <Dodge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Exchange 2003 SP2 - Global Settings - Message Delivery - Message ...

Cannot Connect To Exchange Server
Running XP and Outlook 2003. Out of 35 desktops, two desktops cannot connect to the Exchange Server which were previously connected. I've ruled out the user accounts since I can set them up on different computers and connect without any issues. I cannot connect new users on the machines and deleting the profile didn't work either. I've also installed all updates. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kansas Maybe best to repost this to the Exchange newsgroup for a more comprehensive answer On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/lis...

connecting text boxes that already have text inside
How do you connect two or three text boxes that are already full. I want to combined text boxes. Autoflow? Temporally, make the first box larger. Then copy and then paste into the first box. Delete the contents of box two. Select box 1, click on the chain link in the tool bar, put the cursor over box 2 and the cursor will turn into a tipped tea pot, left click. Resize box 1 and anything that can't fit in box 1 will now flow into box 2. You can link as many pages (boxes) as you wish and they don't have to be in sequence. You could link box 1 to 23 and link it to 12 and link it...

Connectivity problem following forced password change
We have an intermittent, but common problem on our network. We are running: Exchange 2000 Enterprise (Cluster) Windows 2000 Advanced Server Native mode Active Directory domain ....and on the desktop: Windows XP SP1 Outlook XP (2002) Last night, we checked the "User must change password at next logon" box for each user in Active Directory. This morning, the users were not forced to change their password at logon, but rather prompted by Outlook to do so when they launched the application. Any password they entered was rejected, and they were not prompted to change their password...

Microsoft Dynamic program is not connecting with Data Credit Card
Has anyone had the problem with having one program talk to the other? Cannot get the credit card swiper to work, seems as if Microsoft is not talking with the Data Processing Program... This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0442_01C7B43E.B7FECE50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Barb, You need to re-state your question. 1) Which program are you asking about RMS or MSPOS? 2) What is "the Data Processing Program"? 3) How is the credit card swipe hooked to the computer? USB, Serial = por...

connecting exchange servers in different forests...
hi, my company is in four different locations and we have @test.com, @mail.test.com, @downloads.test.com all are windows 2000 AD and windows 2003 exchanger servers. All these domains are in different forests and different exchange organisations. now my company want a common mail extension like @test.com to all the users for all these domain in different forests. Pls help me.. Why do they want a single email domain and still have separate AD domain forests. This is not a good plan. I would look at integrating all the Windows domains into one forest if they are serious about this. Exchan...

Plague
HI; We have 2 separate SBS Win08 servers (SP2) with Vista32/Win7 32 & 64 clients all suffering with a plague of requests to enter User Name & PW! If you push this to the notification to the side=85 I like lower right =85 Outlook 07 works fine =85 Stays connected and has no problems. But I have not been able to make this notification go away. BTW: one server is a brand new installation, the other has been up for almost 2 years. Both are running Symantec SEP 12 for Small Business as an Anti-Virus and SMSMSE 6.5 for MS Exchange07. I know this error is well known, I have se...

Status of Network Connection Icons
Hi! 26 Dec When I open the Network Connections Folder (Explorer->RightClick Network places->Properties), the configured Network connections are displayed. When I set the view type to Icons or Tiles, the icons are displayed, and the legend is the Connection Name, and the Connection Status ("disabled, Firewalled") Sometimes, for reasons I not able to get, the Connection status is not shown: only the Connection name. It re-appears, after a re-boot. Can someone tell me what I should do, to show/hide the connection status ? Thanks Mohan -- M...

Update querytable connections and refresh data
I've cross posted this to several of the Excel and Office automation groups in hopes of getting a quick response. I've got an Excel spreadsheet that uses info from an Acccess database to generate a series of charts. In the Excel spreadsheet, are a number of querytables that are the data source for the charts. Unfortunately, I'm having to carry these files around with me, and move them to new locations on the network (or my USB drive) on a regular basis (don't ask why). I'm trying to write a procedure to update the querytable connection strings to point to the copy...

Outlook connects me to a different dial-up connection
I use ATT to get on internet, with an ATT dial-up connection, but then if I go into Outlook and click on send/receive, my ATT connection is disconnected and a pop-up for "Dial-up Connection" appears. I click "dial" and get connected for e-mail and then can use it for the web as well. (I have set up both ATT and Dial Up connections with the same phone number and passwords, so both work.) I'm using Windows XP and Outlook 2000. Not sure if my problem is with Outlook, Control Panel's Network Connections, or ATT. Thanks Try this--Change the settings in Outl...

Money 2006 "share" feature broken?
I am new to Money, and so far the 2006 version has impressed me almost to the point of abandoning Quicken altogether. One of the more convenient features is one will not work for me... the "Share Account" option, which allows for sharing MS Money (and MSN Money) accounts with another Passport user. Has anyone else encountered this, or am I the only one crazy enough to want my wife have access to my accounts?! =) But seriously, I am curious to know if this is only an issue in the trial version, or if this is a feature that is simply not yet fully implemented. Thanks in advance fo...

8007203a opening an LDAP connection
I hate to post this, as it will no doubt turn out I’ve missed something simple. We have exported, using ExMerge, mailboxes from an Exchange 5.5 server to go into a new 2003 Exchange Server. This is from one company to another, with no network connection. The Export went fine, but the import keeps failing, with: Error 8007203a opening an LDAP connection. ('LDAP://UKDAT1EX01/rootDSE') (CADRoutines::GetNamingContextData) The error is supposed to be related to permissions, unless it also can refer to some other random error? I've been googling and reading for the past few ...

Can't connect to remote computer with Remote Assistance
When trying to access my mother’s computer using Remote Assistance I receive the following message: ”A Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the DNS name of the remote computer could not be resolved.” Both computers are running Windows XP SP3 and McAfee Anti-virus software. Both computers firewalls are set to allow Remote Assistance full access along with port 3389 enabled. I even tried to edit her IP address in the invitation, using the IP address from her internet provider, with the same results. She is e-mailing me the invitation as an attachme...

question/Issue with Cached Exchange Mode and the 'Connected (headers) mode
I am running Outlook 2003 SP1 setup with cached exchange mode and I have the following issue; when I work in connected mode with the download Header option selected, Outlook 2003 downloads completly(header & body) all incoming emails instead of downloading only emails headers I initially thought this was due to Active Sync which was installed on my PC (Win2000 SP4) , so I desinstalled it , reboot but still Outlook keeps on downloading the full emails (header & Body). Any idea why Outlook behaves in such a way and how to correct it? Thank You, Jean ...

onenote add-in cannot connect to onenote
Help me please! I just reinstalled Office 2007 and I get this message when trying to send an email to OneNote from Outlook onenote add-in cannot connect to onenote. Make sure OneNote add-ins are enabled (they are) in the Add-Ins category of the OneNote application options. How can I fix this?? ...

Reminders keep appearing in Outlook 2007 Windows 7 Outlook Connect
Hi all, I'm currently using Outlook Connector with Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 and the problem I keep experiencing is that reminders from my Hotmail account keep appearing every time Outlook synchronizes with Hotmail. I repeatedly dismiss the reminders, yet they reappear until the event passes. I've tried setting the reminder interval on Hotmail to a shorter period of time compared with Outlook's, but this hasn't worked (it was a suggestion posted elsewhere). I don't need to 'clean' the reminders when I open Outlook because I'm not experiencing th...

Outlook Clinet trying to connect to PRC proxy server over wrong po
When trying to connect to my RPC proxy server (also front end Exchange server) Outlook opens local port 1189 and tries to hit the Exchange/RPC proxy server on port 135. I am limiting inbound connections to the Exchange/RPC proxy to port 443. How can I make Outllok use the correct port. I believe I have configured the Outlook profile correctly to use RPC over HTTP(s). I am attempting to connect here on our corporate network, but from a seperate VLAN to simulate an outside connection. Thank you. Er - if Outlook is trying to connect over port 135 (RPC), it is not trying to use RPC/HT...

searching for free data on internet
good day everyone. please, how can i find free data on the internet to use for practice? xml, access, .xlsx etc. I know there are data sources out there one can use to practice for data analysis, modeling, pivot tables etc but how do i find one? tnx lol nd -- friend me on facebook: facebook.com/odimegwudavid or tweet: @emeka_david or read my blog: http://www.emekadavid-solvingit.blogspot.com/ just do something! About: Federal Reserve Economic Data (FRED)... http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2011/08/12/excel-economic-data-add-in-fred/ -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA . http://www.m...

Best way to connect two locations with Microsoft POS
The end user has SBS and POS in one location, and wants to add four systems to a second location. What is the best practices architecture for this environment? ...

"The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink." #2
Hi. I have Exchange 2003 with Windows 2003. The Exchange Server is also a domain controller. For the last month any mail we send to a particular domain (and only to that) is being delayed and gets stucked in the queues. When iam using an external account outside of my organisation everything goes well and the recipients for this particular domain can get the mails which i send them. My DNS is working well. To be more specific when i go to queues on my Exchange System Manager and find this particular domain, on additional queue information i get the following message. "The connectio...

won't hook up to internet
after doing an auto update 3 or 4 weeks ago I could no longer hook up to internet using my Q-west DSL modem. Done a restore to a date where it had been working properly and it then hooked up to internet, however since it no longer had the updates it once again done an update, same problem then it wouldn't hook up to internet. It connects to DSL modem OK, however won't connect to internet. I have a router that I did not need, so I tried using that and it now connects to internet. I really don't want to use the router if at all possible. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEs=?=...

Random problems sending to Internet
Running Exchange to 2003 on Windows 2003 and we have been having random NDR's as listed below. They are coming from domains that we can normally mail most of the day except later in the afternoon we get these NDRs. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Subject Sent: 3/31/2005 6:00 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Doe, John on 3/31/2005 5:58 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <mail.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 ...