How to convert a Chinese registry value from within a US code page?

First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it should
have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the windows
Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out the
displayname of the application.

Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese application
name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is because the
string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not Unicode so it can't
represent the characters.

Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is
not an option.

How can we (or can we at all?) convert these "????" strings to their actual
Chinese characters?

We have the Chinese character support added via the control panel's Regional
Settings, so we can see the Chinese chars correctly when we view them in
RegEdit, etc., even though our current regional settings are for US.
(changing the regional settings via the control panel to Chinese is not an
option). It's just our app that returns the ????? chars.

We've tried explicitly calling RegQueryValueExW to read the value, but it
still comes back to us as '????'.

Is it possible to read a unicode string from the registry from a non-unicode
application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0
mfindlay (14)
7/24/2007 6:55:24 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Mark Findlay" <mfindlay@speakeasy.org> wrote in message

> We've tried explicitly calling RegQueryValueExW to read the value, but it
> still comes back to us as '????'.

Using WCHAR (wchar_t) explicitly and calling the ...W() versions of API
functions should work if you do it consistently.   (You also have to make
sure that when you look at it, you are using a font which has all the
relevant unicode characters.)

Do the Watch Windows in VS2005 display wchar_t strings including Chinese
characters?   I believe they do - certainly I can see the musical flat
symbol which is somewhere on another planet in the unicode set.    (I don't
know for sure, but I'll bet this doesn't work in Visual Studio 6.)

> Is it possible to read a unicode string from the registry from a
> non-unicode application?

Because of the history of my application I am using a mixture of  CHAR,
WCHAR and (as much as possible) TCHAR with the appropriate routines to
handle each.  It now works when compiled with and without the UNICODE flag.
I have always used the standard registry functions with TCHAR but everything
else has worked fine and so I have no doubt that the registry functions will
work too if you do it consistently.

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'

dave9996 (486)
7/24/2007 8:57:54 AM
Hi,
I understand that you would like to know if you can have your non-Unicode
Win32 application display Chinese characters.
If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

From my research, it seems hard to resolve it by programming. I wrote a
Win32 console program and tried using setlocale(LC_ALL,".936") function,
however it had no effect.
This issue should be related to the display device which require your
changing reginonal settings so that it can support displaying Chinese
characters.
As a workaround, you may change the regional settings, however you need not
change the main regional settings but just change "Language for non-Unicode
programs" to "Chinese (PRC)" in Advanced tab. This modification requires
your rebooting your computer.

I will also consult the development team to see if they can give me some
suggestions on programmatically resolve this issue, however the process may
need a long time. You may just leave me (changliw_at_microsoft_dot_com) an
email response so that I can timely update you if I get a response from
development team.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications

If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the check box
"Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply promptly.

from this issue.

changliw (164)
7/24/2007 9:55:28 AM
Thank you Charles,

I will send a separate email to the address you provided below and stand by
for any responses.

Many thanks!
Mark

"Charles Wang[MSFT]" <changliw@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I understand that you would like to know if you can have your non-Unicode
> Win32 application display Chinese characters.
> If I have misunderstood, please let me know.
>
> From my research, it seems hard to resolve it by programming. I wrote a
> Win32 console program and tried using setlocale(LC_ALL,".936") function,
> however it had no effect.
> This issue should be related to the display device which require your
> changing reginonal settings so that it can support displaying Chinese
> characters.
> As a workaround, you may change the regional settings, however you need
> not
> change the main regional settings but just change "Language for
> non-Unicode
> programs" to "Chinese (PRC)" in Advanced tab. This modification requires
> your rebooting your computer.
>
> I will also consult the development team to see if they can give me some
> suggestions on programmatically resolve this issue, however the process
> may
> need a long time. You may just leave me (changliw_at_microsoft_dot_com) an
> email response so that I can timely update you if I get a response from
> development team.
>
> Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or
> concerns.
>
> Best regards,
> Charles Wang
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> ications
>
> If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the check box
> "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply
> promptly.

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from this issue.
> rights.

mfindlay (14)
7/24/2007 3:06:40 PM
As someone else pointed out, call the W versions of the registry APIs in
order to retrieve strings in Unicode.

When you call WideCharToMultiByte you can specify what code page to use.
You can convert them to Chinese ANSI strings.  But if you display these in a
window that uses a US-English code page, the results will look like garbage.
If you don't use Unicode, you'll have to make sure that all parts of your
application are on the same code page.

"Mark Findlay" <mfindlay@speakeasy.org> wrote in message
> First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it
> should have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the
> windows Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out
> the displayname of the application.
>
> Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese
> application name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is
> because the string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not
> Unicode so it can't represent the characters.
>
> Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is
> not an option.
>
> How can we (or can we at all?) convert these "????" strings to their
> actual Chinese characters?
>
> We have the Chinese character support added via the control panel's
> Regional Settings, so we can see the Chinese chars correctly when we view
> them in RegEdit, etc., even though our current regional settings are for
> US. (changing the regional settings via the control panel to Chinese is
> not an option). It's just our app that returns the ????? chars.
>
> We've tried explicitly calling RegQueryValueExW to read the value, but it
> still comes back to us as '????'.
>
> Is it possible to read a unicode string from the registry from a
> non-unicode application?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

0
ndiamond1 (258)
7/25/2007 12:16:46 AM
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your email response.

I got it. Once there is a response, I will timely update you. Appreciate
your patience!

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications

If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the check box
"Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply promptly.

from this issue.

changliw (164)
7/25/2007 7:03:20 AM
Hello Mark,

why not use 'IMultiLanguage' interface (comes with IE 4), with functions
'ConvertStringFromUnicode' and 'ConvertStringToUnicode'.
With this interface, you are independant from the current process local ...

Rolf

"Mark Findlay" <mfindlay@speakeasy.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it
> should have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the
> windows Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out
> the displayname of the application.
>
> Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese
> application name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is
> because the string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not
> Unicode so it can't represent the characters.
>
> Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is
> not an option.
>
> How can we (or can we at all?) convert these "????" strings to their
> actual Chinese characters?
>
> We have the Chinese character support added via the control panel's
> Regional Settings, so we can see the Chinese chars correctly when we view
> them in RegEdit, etc., even though our current regional settings are for
> US. (changing the regional settings via the control panel to Chinese is
> not an option). It's just our app that returns the ????? chars.
>
> We've tried explicitly calling RegQueryValueExW to read the value, but it
> still comes back to us as '????'.
>
> Is it possible to read a unicode string from the registry from a
> non-unicode application?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

Hi Mark,
I have got the response from the Dev team. They would like to know how your
report was being created and displayed.
In my test, I used a Console application which is a non-Unicode program.
However they confirmed that there was no good day to display the data if
your display device was non-Unicode.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or
concerns.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications

If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the check box
"Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply promptly.

from this issue.

changliw (164)
7/26/2007 7:02:10 AM
Hi Mark,
Sorry for delaying the response.

After many communications with the Dev team, I finally resolve this issue
via the following code:
int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{

                wchar_t* subKey = L"Software\\MyTest";
                HKEY nSubKey;
                BYTE data[256];
                wchar_t keyValue[256];
                DWORD nLen = 256;
                LONG nUnicodeLen=256;
                BYTE nUnicode[2] = {0xff,0xfe};

if(RegOpenKeyExW(HKEY_CURRENT_USER,subKey,NULL,KEY_ALL_ACCESS,&nSubKey)==ERR
OR_SUCCESS)
                {
                                if(RegQueryValueExW(nSubKey,
L"Test",NULL,NULL,data,&nLen)==ERROR_SUCCESS)
                                {
                                                basic_filebuf<BYTE>
wOutFile;

wOutFile.open("c:\\output_bf.txt",ios_base::out |
ios_base::trunc|ios_base::binary);
                                                if(!wOutFile.is_open())
                                                {
                                                                cout <<
"Error Opening c:\\output_bf.txt\n";
                                                                return -1;
                                                }
                                                wOutFile.sputn(nUnicode,
(streamsize)2);
                                                wOutFile.sputn(data,
(streamsize)nLen);
                                                wOutFile.close();

                                                printf("Output
length:%d",nLen);
                                }
                }
                getchar();

                return 0;
}

The registry key value is written into the text file in binary and the BOM
(Byte Order Mark) value 0xfffe let your text editor know that it is a
Unicode file, so when you open the file in Notepad, the Chinese characters
can be displayed correctly.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel
free to let me know.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support

from this issue.

changliw (164)

multiple flyers per page?

visual basic

code examples for BITS
Hi, I am looking for sample codes for programming background intelligent transfer service..I was able to see sample code in .NET, but I'm specifically looking for VC++ 6.0 (command-line application).Please help me.. Thanks, NKH ...

printing 2 charts on single page

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Converting Opportunity to Account

US and UK online banking affiliates
I am thinking about buying MS Money 2004 to assist in managing my personal finances, but I have accounts in the US and the UK. Can Money cope with this? It looks like there are US and UK versions and a UK international version (I have downloaded and played with the trial version), but I can't figure out if it does what I want it to if you buy the US version you have access to some US banks, If you buy the UK version, you have access to some UK banks. If you buy the international version, I don't think there are any banks !! "Jo" <anonymous@discussions.micros...

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003

Using INDIRECT within functions

MS Access 2007 code not running

Value is BLANK

convert to stored proc
Hello. I have been given a conversion assignment to convert Access db (frontend) with sql server 2005 backend to be included in a new webapp that is being constructed. Unfortunately, my stored proc creating is a bit weak and I'm not afraid to admit it. With that said, I came across an Access query that is puzzling me. Here it is; SELECT Purchase Orders *, POSO Relationships.SONumber AS RelatedSONumber, IIf([POSOType], [POSOType], 'Standard') AS POSOTypeFull, POSORelationships.MTXRMA, POSORelationships.SupplierRMA, POSORelationships.POSOType FROM PurchaseOrders ...

Copy and close code
Hi, I have a worksheet which uses an indirect formula to search through a series of files/sheets based on an address to return a value from cell AE20. Once the data has been copied for all the previous days I would like a copy/paste values to occur to replace any of the values returned by the formula. In AU10:AU381 there is a 1 or 0 for each row. 1 meaning that a copy/pastevalues can be performed (decided by if the date is < today), and zero if i need to keep the formulas. Is it possible to have a copy/paste values code for only sheets 2-4 which works when the file is...

y value vs x
In an xy scatter plot one can choose the type of line connecting the data points (smooth, straight, etc.). Once this is done, Is there a simple way of determining the y value of graph for a specific x value without doing successive approximations with 0 shifts. I'd rather not purchase a graphing program just for this simple task. You could find an equation that fits the data (see trendline) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ralph" <ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:284B39DE-20C6-40CB-AB60-39B...

Combo Box initial values question
Does anyone know how to make a combo box show a value when a sheet opens? Mine are always blank when I open them until I select a value. thanks tp Hi Teepee, Try something like: Me.ComboBox1.ListIndex = 0 --- Regards, Norman "teepee" <teepee@noemail.com> wrote in message news:4645ed29$1@newsgate.x-privat.org... > Does anyone know how to make a combo box show a value when a sheet opens? > Mine are always blank when I open them until I select a value. > > thanks > > tp > > thanks for trying. says 'invalid use of me keyword.&...

How can I sum only amounts that are in BOLD format within a column
Hi! I need to get a total from a worksheet that has hundreds of amounts in it. However, I only need the total of the amounts that were marked with have BOLD font. Please help me I don't have much experience with EXCEL. Thank you very much! W a n d a try this for column D Sub sumbold() x = Cells(Rows.Count, "d").End(xlUp).Row For Each c In Range(Cells(2, 4), Cells(x, 4)) If c.Font.Bold Then mysum = mysum + c Next MsgBox mysum End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wanda" <Wanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89A268A6-...

amend a VB code please
hi, is there any chance of someone amending this code to have cell X25 form a list down column K on the 'graphs' sheet, i basically want to duplicate what this code does but add in one more cell, thank you Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() Dim Dest As Range With Sheets("graphs") Set Dest = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp) If Range("V17") <> Dest Then _ Dest.Offset(1) = Range("V17") End With End Sub -- thanks ...