Help Workshop fails to create usable HLP file

I am trying to compile a MS Help Workshop (ver 4.03.0002) project that I have
been working with for over 7 years.  Now if I compile the project the
resulting HLP file still works.

The problem is if I make any change at all (add a single character to the
main RTF file) then the project still compiles BUT when I open the HLP file
and drill down the Contents to any specific page (or use he index to access
any specific page) I get a "Program Error" pop up message box that says:

winhlp32.exe has generated erros and will be closed by Windows.  You will
need to restart the program.  An error log is being created.

I'm not sure but I beleive there is a Dr watson error log drwtsn32.log that
shows an access violation #c0000005

I have been working with this Help project and its set of files for many
years and recently rebuilt my machine: Win 2000 SP4 with MS office 2000 Word
2000.  I tried other machines even other versions of Word, Wordpad.exe and
third party RTF editors all with the same results.

This Help project is Interactive F1 help for an MFC/ATL windows form
application written in C++ in VS 6.0.
Any advice or direction here would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks
Morris

Hi Morris,

I have checked our internal database fro this issue, but could not find a
similar case. It seems to be a project specific problem, that hlp project
may have some dependencies of your previous system.

Have you tried to create a new hlp project, and import the corresponding
files form the older one? Does the new one work?

Since we don't support the Help Workshop in the newsgroup, and the Visual
Studio 6 product is also out of its support period. I am afraid we are
unable to provide more help on this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience this
may bring to you.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Gary Chang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

v-garych (605)

Help is needed for modifying this code.
Hi, I have a problem with an excel macro and seek help from this helpful newsgroup. The below code accomplishes a task of drawing random numbers (upto 20) on a spesific column (A1:A20). I need to modify it such that; the randomizing is applicable to "any" selected region of the sheet. Furthermore although the limits are set, the below code picks "random" numbers each time it is executed. This means that there may be "new" numbers drawn and some left out on each new attempt. But I need to "restrict" the randomizing process to pre-filled and "selecte...

Problems with EDB files
Had a server reboot and the edb file is currupted. I have tried all the usual stuff to repair but get odd messages, please see below Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Initiating FILE DUMP mode... Database: priv1.edb File Type: Database Format ulMagic: 0x89abcdef Engine ulMagic: 0x89abcdef Format ulVersion: 0x620,11 Engine ulVersion: 0x620,11 Created ulVersion: 0x620,9 DB Signature: Create time:06/28/2005 17:49:44 Rand:2744620 Computer: cbDbPage: 4096 dbtime: 2 (0x2) State: Clean Shutdown Log Required...

NTBackup Failing
I'm trying to backup the Exchange Server 2003 Information Store using NTBackup and it keeps failing. Any thoughts on this: Backup Status Operation: Backup Active backup destination: 4mm DDS Media name: "Media created 2/4/2004 at 11:07 AM" Backup of "TOR-SRV-01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group" Backup set #1 on media #1 Backup description: "Exchange Server 2003 Information Store" Media name: "Media created 2/4/2004 at 11:07 AM" Backup Type: Normal Backup started on 2/4/2004 at 11:08 AM. Folder TOR-SRV-01\Microsoft Information Store...

Index file 2008
I have a web site that was developed in Publisher 2003 and I just made several design changes. After saving the file and attempting to "Publish to the Web", as I have done many times before, the transfer continues to fail. Actually, it doesn't even get started: it appears as though the previous index file has not been overwritten and the FTP process hangs up. Everything was fine less than two weeks ago and the only thing that's significantly different is a NEW YEAR. Does anyone know of a problem that year-2008 might be causing? Thanks! If you "updated" to ...

Scanpst repair creates 'fixed' empty file
Tricky one. Here's the story. Grateful for any assistance.. 1. Started to have problems recieving email. Ran Scanpst which found 2 folder errors in the 349MG file. After repair, the folder only had 4 remaining folders (email folders, calendar, contacts folders no longer there) but was still 349MB. 2. So I created a new profile (Control Panel>Mail>Add) and this created a new blank Outlook1.pst. 3. Ran Scanpst on this new file (even before opening it for the first time) and it had the same '2 folder error' and when 'fixed' , the file is renamed 'Recovered Personal F...

Using Word to compose mail created from a custom form
I created a custom form to use when sending out a daily status report. However, when I compose a new status report using this custom form the default editor is Outlook 2003 instead of Word. All of my other messages are composed in Word, is there any way to get a custom form to use Word for editing the message? That setting is on the (Properties) page of the form in design mode. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms or, via web interface, at http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/def...

create a roster

"Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable" Help!!!
I just loaded my version of Outlook 2003. When I attempted to open the program for the first time, it gave me the message "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable" I can't get into the program to fix the settings. I tried to reinstall it, and it still gives me the same message. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance for your help! -- Jeff Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just loaded my version of Outlook 2003. When I attempted to open > the program for the first time, it gave me the message "...

SetDefaultCharFormat fails to set default color
I am using a CRichEditView and trying to display blue characters on a black background while preserving any other colors in the RTF file. I am using the following code: CHARFORMAT2 cf2; ZeroMemory(&cf2, sizeof(cf2)); cf2.cbSize = sizeof(cf2); cf2.dwMask = CFM_COLOR; cf2.crTextColor = RGB(0, 0, 0xff); GetRichEditCtrl().SetDefaultCharFormat(cf2); GetRichEditCtrl().SetBackgroundColor(FALSE, RGB(0, 0, 0)); If the RTF file has no colors other than the default color the function works fine. If I select a part of the file and assign it a color, the above code changes the background to ...

interrupted downloaded files, where? still occupy space?
Hello: many times, when I was downloading a file and the download get interrupted. My question: where the donwloaded files are temporarily stored, and still they occupy space on the hard disk after being interruped? Thank you On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 13:05:21 +0300, "Maurice" <morisaab@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hello: >many times, when I was downloading a file and the download get interrupted. >My question: where the donwloaded files are temporarily stored, and still >they occupy space on the hard disk after being interruped? > >Thank you >...

Unable To Create Simple Chart
background: I import data into my excel worksheet from a call logging database and use excel to create graphs for statistics etc, this works fine, however I want to generate a graph that shows the call resolution times i.e the amount of hours/min between a call being logged and closed. I have generated the resolution times using formula to calculate the difference between two dates/times. Problem: I select the data range and click on the create chart button, but no matter what chart type I select, the graph is pretty much blank with just a single figure/value showing "1". ...

Opening xls files in word
When I open an excel file it opens in word. If I open Excel and then open the file it opens properly. How do I change the default to open all excel files in excel? Rich Rich, Open up Windows Explorer, click the 'Tools' toolbar and then 'Folder Options...'. Click the 'File Types' tab, and scroll down to find the XLS file extension. Highlight "XLS" - I think it will say that it's set to open with Microsoft Word. If so, click the 'Change' button and set it to open with Microsoft Ex...

Creating a macro to search for a wildcard entry
I have a switchboard form that I have set up command button to run forms and queries. I have a NAME table with various fields, Name ID is the primary key. I have an Action table that is added to by a form/sub form. I want to create a short macro to go to a nominated record. Macro actions considered OpenForm GotoRecord Is there a way to open to a blank form and input an entry to then go to the desired record by a macro? I am trying to not to just Crtl + F and enter data when I opened the form. Cheers ...

Need Help With the SUMPRODUCT Formula !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=SUMPRODUCT(('Sites Task List'!$B$2:$B$5000=$C4)*('Sites Task List'!$K$2:$K$5000<>"Completed")*('Sites Task List'!$L$2:$L$5000<>"Completed")*('Sites Task List'!$R$2:$R$5000<>{"","Completed"})*('Sites Task List'!$S$2:$S$5000<>{"","Completed"})*('Sites Task List'!$T$2:$T$5000<>{"","Completed"})*('Sites Task List'!$U$2:$U$5000<>{"","Completed"})) What I am trying to calculate in the above form...

Good books/resources on creating Reports
I'm comfortable with Access - even reasonably good at it... except for one major problem... Can't do reports to save my life!!! Does anybody know any good resources for learning reports - beyond the "run the wizard" answer. The wizards are a great starting point, but I'm trying to get beyond that... Thanks! Pieter -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200912/1 Pieter, is there a particular sticking point? Is it the source query (getting all the field for the report)? Or grouping/sorting? Or ...

Failed workflow rules and Paused workflow rules
Hello everyone, I am trying to work with some workflow rules and sales processes and have 2 questions in reference to this. First I see that the workflow rules fail with and without an error message. When I do get an error message it states this - An error occurred when evaluating a WFPM_EQ parameter. Also some of the workflows show paused at different times like after the "if" line and other locations like getting ready to execute a process and no errors. I see the same workflow rules are being finished without any errors at different times and such. I checked out the news...

Downloading an e-mailed outlook file.
Someone has sent me an e-mail with an attachment. The attachment is an address file from their Outlook database. How do I download it into my Outlook Data Base? What is the file extension?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Kitehill Bob" <Kitehill Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:ECCEEA97-3581-4A9D-842B-F036B88B6CCB@microsoft.com... > Someone has sent me an e-mail with an attachment. The att...

Creating Year view for Service Calendar
Does anyone know how to create a view that shows the whole year for the Service Calendar? CRM 4.0 "out-of-the-box" only gives me Day, Week, and Month. Can anybody tell me how to get a Year view? Thanks ...

Word 2007 | Original 'Created Date'
Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to obtain the original created date of a document that I download on a machine from the intranet. It currently picks up the date the document is downloaded, rather than the actual date that it was created (and uploaded). This is a bit critical for me, and I would appreciate any and every pointer to get an answer for this please. Many thanks, Karan You can get the original creation date stored in the document - which may or may not be the same thing: The document probably has a date field which shows the system date. What you ...

Copy files from one machine to another
Dear all, In one of my application I have to copy an file from one remote machine to my machine as we are doing through explorer... but it would be in backend process means there si no UI for these... just i have to tell machine name and file name and copy it to my machine... Is there any API available for it... can anyone guide me on this.... Plz , it is an aurgent req. regards, pardeep kadian Are you looking for something like CopyFile() ? -- Bjarne Nielsen "Pardeep" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:069901c3c88f$e5e22ef0$a501280a@phx.g...

Convert OL 2003 PST file for use in OL2000
I need to use my Outlook 2003 pst on an older machine that has Outlook 2000. I am working to beat the clock, as this needs to be functional by morning. Any suggestions?? thanks in advance Rick Export your messages to an Outlook 97-2002 pst-file. For detailed instructions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/downgradefromoutlook2003.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Help in Subtotal
I have a list containing thousands of data like Product Name, Code Quantity, Rate, Value etc. Generally I use subtotal for productwise total and use sum function fo Quantity, value etc. through subtotal how i can get Code with Product name total ? I think i am not able to understand u so please go through m attachment file. thanks in advance. s kara +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: example.doc |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=2676 +---------------------------------...

PLEASE HELP ME with page numbering
I posted this earlier, waited all day for a response only to be told that I was on a Mac bulletin board that I was led to with a bad interface???? anyway here is my question. I am DESPERATE my page numbers are not showing in my document and I am at the end of my > rope. I am using MS word 2007 and Vista - I am able to go through all the > menus for header, footer, format page numbers, etc. but then no final product > shows up. > > The help desk at my school is clueless and offered no help whatsoever. > > I have spent HOURS trying to insert these page numbers today. I ha...

Instr help
Hello, I've spent quite a bit of time in Excel using the SEARCH function to parse out names from a text field thinking I'd be able to use this same expression once I brought the data into Access. As I find out I guess I need to be using the InStr function in Access but I'm still having a little trouble. Here's an example of the text field : 00022956CTE/Smith,Harry And here's an example of the SEARCH function I used in Excel which produced "Harry": =+RIGHT(C2,LEN(C2)-SEARCH(",",C2,1)) When I try to run an Update query to a blank field with...

"Recent files" in File menu does not update when you select the f.
In Excel Selecting a file from "Task Pane" - (e.g. CTRL-F1) does not add the file to the drop down list of recent files accessed. ...