Help with Combo-box

Hey everyone, hopefully someone's run across a problem similar to this and
their is a (simple :) solution).  Basically I have a simple combo-box that
is displayed in a dialog.  Now, the problem is that I have around 7200
entries that I want to appear in that box as valid selections...well thus
far I haven't been able to get that many entries as a possibility (the
combo-box simply refuses to allow me to enter that many fields of data). :(
Okay, I tried googling this (thought maybe there was a readily defined
maximum on combo-box data size) but I couldn't find anything that would help
me (nothing on maximum size, and no real solutions for how to add (many many
many) entries.
So, can I add this many entries to the combo-box (is there a parameter I can
change that will allow this), or, can any of you suggest another way to
break down the data (the data is essentially world airports so I could break
it down by country, but then how do I go about going down the list to a
country so that when the country is selected it opens up another
combo-box)..  (I'm thinking sort-of like a drop-out list, when you go over
an item the next row opens up (like windows start menu :)
Hmmmmm... come to think of it, I'll check that out tomorrow morning (a start
menu type combo-box), but I'd really rather just use the one large list (if
that is possible).
Thanks for the help,

0
Arlis
11/15/2004 9:08:38 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Try to imagine navigating that 7200 item dropdown list . . .

"Arlis Rose" <arlisATendevouraerospace.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone, hopefully someone's run across a problem similar to this and
> their is a (simple :) solution).  Basically I have a simple combo-box that
> is displayed in a dialog.  Now, the problem is that I have around 7200
> entries that I want to appear in that box as valid selections...well thus
> far I haven't been able to get that many entries as a possibility (the
> combo-box simply refuses to allow me to enter that many fields of data).
:(
> Okay, I tried googling this (thought maybe there was a readily defined
> maximum on combo-box data size) but I couldn't find anything that would
help
> me (nothing on maximum size, and no real solutions for how to add (many
many
> many) entries.
> So, can I add this many entries to the combo-box (is there a parameter I
can
> change that will allow this), or, can any of you suggest another way to
> break down the data (the data is essentially world airports so I could
break
> it down by country, but then how do I go about going down the list to a
> country so that when the country is selected it opens up another
> combo-box)..  (I'm thinking sort-of like a drop-out list, when you go over
> an item the next row opens up (like windows start menu :)
> Hmmmmm... come to think of it, I'll check that out tomorrow morning (a
start
> menu type combo-box), but I'd really rather just use the one large list
(if
> that is possible).
> Thanks for the help,

CTreeCtrl?

Double click on the edit box to open a dialog with the tree control in it?

0
billt61 (145)

New help with setting up printing
I am helping a friend with a 50th class reunion. I am uning a booklet style and have the middle two pages as a picutre, and a front and back cover. The pages in the middle will be class mates in alphibetical order. Not sure how to set up the pages between the cover and the center. Total of 12 pages with 1 being front 12 being back and 6 & 7 being the picture in the middle. I need to know where to start the bios on all the classmates to make them come out in order in the booklet. Thanks in advamce. What version Publisher? The catalog merge maybe your solution. Otherwise, you have 8 ...

Pass value to combo box
I have an unbound text box (txtSaveVal), an unbound combo box (cboName), and a string variable strSaveVal. me.txtSaveVal=strSaveVal .............. Works fine me.cboName=strSaveVal ............... Does Not Work I simply want to put the value of strSaveVal into the combo box, as though I had typed it in, BEFORE pressing the enter key. Why isn't this working? esee, Why are you doing this? A combo box is not intended to accept a value from another control, but provide a means to select a value from a list of values either from a table, a query, or a manually ...

Search My Report Help
I made a report from a table that is a list of files with their hyperlink, a description column, etc. I want to make a report that has a search button at the top, and can be searched by All columns or the few columns I have. I have tried to search for answers and am new to Access. Can someone give me a good resource, give me some code help, or tell me if this is possible? You can't put command buttons on a report. Therefore you need to "search" for the data in the query that you use for the record source for the report. You can search on a form. In fact there...

Need help with SetCapture & Release Capture API
Hi I have a user control to display a thumbnail. When the mouse moves over the thumbnail a blue square highlights the control and when it moves out of the control it goes back to default. All this works well except for one thing. I create an array of 50 usercontrols and use a Picture Control and Scoll bars to sroll the pics up and down. ie a Viewport. I have 2 buttons at the bottom. Back & Forward Now if I scoll down and hover over a usercontrol that is half displayed at the bottom and then move downwards to click the forward button the ReleaseCapture event is not bein...

Dlookup on form
Hi all: The dlookup listed below use to work but since I changed the data type of the "InFruitTransLog" from number to character in the table "tblIntake" it no longers work and only displays "#Error". For the record "txtBatchNo" is a text box on the form that the user types in a batch number and the dlookup is suppose to lookup and return "IntakeID" from the table "tblInatke". =DLookUp("[IntakeID]","[tblIntake]","[InFriutTransLog]= " & [Forms]![frmPackoutDataEntry].txtBatchNo) Can an...

Need Help setting up .oft file
I need some help setting up an .oft file to apply to a rule for an autoresponse. I use a popmail server so the autoresponse function in Outlook does not apply to my application. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanking you in advance. If we knew your version of Outlook and if you used word as your editor we could help... where you run into problems doing it would help us target the response as well. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/ou...

HELP..Tax exempt issues
hey there kind of stuck..I have a client and she needs to use the indian status tax exemption. I have it set up that when everything is done that she can select the HST tax or the Tax Exempt (meaning pay only PST) i believe..anyways When we do this for some reason it goes to $0 in tax which isnt correct..I tried it like 5 times and all same thing..i rechecked everything and i know i am doing it correctly because i ave done it other clients..this one has become a mystery..plz anyone help me asap thanks ...

help choosing a chart format.
In my last job, we had a waterfall plot that would show time on the X axis, frequency on the y axes and the marker would change color according to magnitude of the signal. is there a good chart that will perform this type of plot? It is kind of like an XY scatter plot with a variable color. see peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "fugazi48" <fugazi48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A6088FA-C207-4CB2-A103-02CD9549D7E5@microsoft.com... > In my last job, we ...

Need help - Save as
In new Outlook 2003, when I highlight several e-mail in my Inbox & select File, Save As, it only saves the Headers of the e-mails & not the headers & the body - in my old Outlook 2000 it saved both - can any one tell me how to correct this? I have a program that read the Saved As file & processes the data in the e-mails & I can't find where to change any option to fix this... though I have read & read & read... thxs much !!! What format are the messages and are you using the old Ol97/2002 pst format or the new Unicode format? We're seeing issues ...

Draw a themed combo box.
hi I am trying to make a combo box like control completely on my own by directly derving from CWnd. I have a control derived from CWnd. The OnPaint handler's code is given at the end of the post. What i am doing is that in the OnPaint I am drawing a edit control and then drawing a scroll button on the right hand side. In enabled state the control looks just fine but in disabled state, it does not look like the MFC themed combo box. Can someone help me get the disabled look? code snippet: CPaintDC dc(this); CRect totalRect; GetClientRect(totalRect); // dropdown button ...

help with line graph
i accidently and unknowingly tuned off the line on my line graph, when i try to do the line graph the line isn't there. please help!!!!!!!!! Can you see the markers on the chart? If so right click one, select Format Data Series; on the Pattern tab put check mark next to Line If you cannot see it; click on chart, tap up/down arrows watching Name box, when Series 1 show up, use menu item Format. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "darci" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:149a201c3f8f9$4cf70c70$a601280a@...

need help with Index, Match and Countif in the same complicated formula
Hi, I have a spreadsheet Expense Journal designed for entering expenses in two currencies, one for Dollar and one for a local currency. It has two sections of rows, the top is for Dollar Expenses and uses no exchange figures because the spreadsheet converts everything to Dollars. This Dollar section has five columns: Date Project # Account # Description Dollar Amount In the blank spreadsheet that they start anew each quarter, there are only two rows setup for Dollar expenses because most of their expenses will be in Local currency. Below the Dollar secti...

Please Help
My Windows Media Player wont play a single thing, sometimes Video will show with no sound, but I cant see videos on my laptop of my Daughter, Holidays, Listen to music or anything....I plugged my Laptop into my T.V earlier using HDMI but am not sure if this caused the problem because I have listen to music since then....Its 3.04 in the morning and am stressing out badly....anybody that can help....Thank You In run,type:appwiz.cpl Then open from L.sub-menu, "add-remove windows components",scroll to bottom,make sure WMP is checked.Otherwise, which version are you run...

help, mshtml.h
I am using VC6 and IE6 am trying to get the sample code wb_print06 to work, this sample is supposed to render the contents of the browser control to a bitmap file. Unufortunately I cannot get it to build because IHTMLElement2 is used in the sample but is not defined in my <mshtml.h> header. According to MSDN documentation this type has a minimum availability of IE5 so why doesn't my header have it? How can I get this to compile, do I need a new version of the mshtml header? How do I generate that? Follup: I figured it out. You have to download and install updated platform s...

Need Help with Coding a ComboBox in Excel/VBa......
Hi all, Perhaps someone can help me.......... I have the following code written in VBA. Private Sub SupervisorComboBox_Change() Sheets("Sheet2").Range("C1") = SupervisorComboBox.Value I have a ComboBox that lists ten supervisors. When the user chooses a supervisor from the ComboBox drop down list the name gets stored on the second Sheet, in cell, "C1". Now then.......there is a second ComboBox underneath this first one This ComboBox lists each employee that works under the chose supervisor. The employee's name gets stored in cell, "D1" My que...

Help with printing gridlines
I have a wksht where I can see the gridlines, and have selected a checkmark to print out with the gridlines. However, if I do a print preview or print, the gridlines are missing in the output. I must have turned something off accidentally. Bob "The Dog Breeders List" <rltutt@earthlink.net> wrote in news:BF14336F-FD99-4635-80EA-030D2DF242D7@microsoft.com: > I have a wksht where I can see the gridlines, and have selected a > checkmark to print out with the gridlines. However, if I do a print > preview or print, the gridlines are missing in the output. I must have >...

need help printing on a form
How do i print a list addresses that i have saved in excel on a form from like an address book. i dont know how to arrange the address name etc... manually before printing. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It may be easiest to print the list by using Microsoft Word's Mail Merge feature to pull the data from Excel. There's information on the Word MVPs' web site: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/ help_needed wrote: > How do i print a list addresses that i have saved in excel on a form > from like an address book. i dont know how to arrange t...

check box notification
I used a combo box with the following code to catch the Selection change notification: ON_CONTROL_REFLECT_EX(CBN_SELCHANGE, OnSelChange) Now I am using a check box and using this same code to catch button click notification but it doesnt work: ON_CONTROL_REFLECT_EX(BN_CLICKED, OnClick) How can I capture the button click notification inside my derived checkbox class? Thanks. Jess How about this ON_BN_CLICKED(IDC_CHECKBOX1,OnClick) void CMyDlg::OnClick() { CheckBox Clicked } AliR. "Jessica Weiner" <jessica@gmail.com> wrote in message news:LjYTf.56658$H71.43735@n...

Help With Econnect
Hi everybody, i need help with econnect with the PA TIME SHEET TRANSACTION SCHEMA (Project Accounting), my problem is that i don't know how to do for build of schema with VISUAL BASIC.NET, somebody know how to work with this????.... thank so much. thanks a lot. I don't have any experience with PA but noticed that there is an example XML file named '1085 PA TS1001 Timesheet.xml' in the folder '\\eConnect75\XML Sample Documents\Incoming'. This should give you the schema information and what information you need to process the transaction. I do have some VB.Net bas...

Populate text boxes from a list box
Hi, I have a form with text and combo boxes where user enters data. After saving, a list box in another form is being populated, and all that works just fine. What i wanted to do next is to enable users to open one set of data from the list box (one row of data) in that form with text and combo boxes. I tried and tried but either i manage to open that form in add mode where all fields are blank, or i manage to open the form with data from the list box, but always positioned on the first data in the list box. I have been trying for a while so it could be possible that i am missing...

Option to shadow shapes & text boxes in Publisher 2003
MS Office help offers the following instructions referencing a SHADOW STYLE OPTION; THIS OPTION DOES NOT APPEAR ON MY DROP DOWN LIST OF OPTIONS!!! Select the picture, AutoShape, WordArt or text box that you want to change. On the Formatting toolbar, click Shadow Style , and do one of the following: Add or remove a shadow To add a shadow, click the shadow style you want. To remove a shadow, click No Shadow. Change the direction of the shadow To change the direction of a shadow, click a shadow that goes the direction you want. Change the distance of the shadow from...

Help me #2
Hi all, I have a MFC dll, in this dll I have a function. This is function's prototype: int GetCellAt(double left, double top, LPDISPATCH* lpCell). In this function I asign a valid pointer to lpCell. In the programe that uses this dll I call this function but after calling this function lpCell is always NULL. When I change the function declaration like this : LPDISPATCH GetCellAt(double,double) and in this function I return the pointer that I asigned to lpCell. After calling this function I get an valid pointer. Please tell me why? In your first function, you have declared a &q...

Comment box
When I insert a comment, already inserted is "User:", is there a way t get rid of this so that the box is completely empty -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi tghcogo! Tools > Options > General Delete the existing User Name, and type a new entry OK Be aware that this is an Office setting and will impact upon other Office programs. You might want to change it back before exiting Excel. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "tghcogo >" <<tghcogo.18puzz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message ...

macro help please #3
http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3VBCNO99P2VB622EGB6KMP779I This links to my 64kb worksheet, please download if you can help, post back the upgrade link? I'm having trouble with creating correct macro. Sheet 2 is "testing" page, Sheet 1 is the current working worksheet. Got so far, via "record macro" but then couldn't add in a subroutine for "user select" - got error that I can't resolve. I want a macro (with a button) to do the following - Select the datablock B1 : I90 (name, numbers and "paid" columns) USER select a name for deleti...

About Exchange 2003 Problem !!!! (( Please Help ))
Hi, I have some question about "Public Folder in Exchange 2003" : I have one Exchange 2000 & Exchange 2003, I created some public folder in Exchange 2000, After I move all mailbox from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 and uninstall Exchange 2000, the public folder still in Exchange 2003, when i click the public folder, it dispaly message "Unable to Dispaly", I can't remove that public folder, How can do it ? Please help ! Tks a Lot ! ...