Help with ADO Incompibilities; Why do I need to Upgrade?

I made a program for some people in my dorm.  I used the ADO class by Carlos
Antollini because I thought ADO was the latest and greatest from Microsoft
and it should be compatible with anyone.
http://www.codeproject.com/database/caaadoxclass.asp

I have an Access database on the backend.  When some people run it, it runs
fine. But others, they get the error message
"The Specified Procedure Could Not Be Found"

The only thing that resolves the error is to have them run mdac_typ.exe to
have them upgrade their database drivers.

I'm not a genius, but my program is ONLY doing selects, sub selects, and
inserts so I don't know why we would need to upgrade ANYTHING to run this.

 Is there any solution out there where I could connect directly to an Access
database without having to worry about whether they have the latest and
greatest access drivers?  Would utilizing ODBC instead resolve these issues?

0
billc8029 (10)
10/9/2004 5:42:01 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi BillC,

I had a play with ADO but never really got on with it. I find that I have to
switch databases at run time, and ADO is a real pain!
When I first looked at ADO I created a test application on NT4, which worked
fine, transferred it to Win9x, and never got it to work correctly. After
that I RAPIDLY lost interest in this technology!

If you are trying to make something Generic I would use ODBC.
If you look at:
http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/data/mfc_database/odbc/article.php/c4337/ you
will find a nice ODBC wrapper class. You might be able to use CDatabase &
CRecordset, but personally I don't like these classes (that's just me).

The problem that you will then find, is that unless you are doing VERY
SIMPLE SQL you will find it very difficult to create a generic piece of
code. If for instance to want to concatenate 2 fields in an SQL Statement,
the syntax for MS-Access, SQL Server, MySQL, and Oracle are ALL different.

If SPEED is the issue, then depending on your Target Database, it might be
better to use class libraries specifically designed for the Database that
you are using.

If MSAccess is your target database I would either use ODBC, or
[CDaoDatabase and CDaoRecordset and Jet 4.0]. Just don't try to create
multi-threaded programs, or have lots of users on the network using the same
database! There are tricks that you can use to overcome Jet 4.0 inability to
multi task (and we have used some of them), but there is NO substitute for
having a descent back end database that can handle all these issues for you.

Hope this helps,

Martin

"BillC" <billc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I made a program for some people in my dorm.  I used the ADO class by
>Carlos
> Antollini because I thought ADO was the latest and greatest from Microsoft
> and it should be compatible with anyone.
> http://www.codeproject.com/database/caaadoxclass.asp
>
> I have an Access database on the backend.  When some people run it, it
> runs
> fine. But others, they get the error message
> "The Specified Procedure Could Not Be Found"
>
> The only thing that resolves the error is to have them run mdac_typ.exe to
> have them upgrade their database drivers.
>
> I'm not a genius, but my program is ONLY doing selects, sub selects, and
> inserts so I don't know why we would need to upgrade ANYTHING to run this.
>
> Is there any solution out there where I could connect directly to an
> Access
> database without having to worry about whether they have the latest and
> greatest access drivers?  Would utilizing ODBC instead resolve these
> issues?

Dlookup on form
Hi all: The dlookup listed below use to work but since I changed the data type of the "InFruitTransLog" from number to character in the table "tblIntake" it no longers work and only displays "#Error". For the record "txtBatchNo" is a text box on the form that the user types in a batch number and the dlookup is suppose to lookup and return "IntakeID" from the table "tblInatke". =DLookUp("[IntakeID]","[tblIntake]","[InFriutTransLog]= " & [Forms]![frmPackoutDataEntry].txtBatchNo) Can an...

Need Help setting up .oft file
I need some help setting up an .oft file to apply to a rule for an autoresponse. I use a popmail server so the autoresponse function in Outlook does not apply to my application. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanking you in advance. If we knew your version of Outlook and if you used word as your editor we could help... where you run into problems doing it would help us target the response as well. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/ou...

Need to re-add "Tools" button to Menu Bar
I have inadvertantly removed the "Tools" button from my Menu Bar an need to re-add it. Does anyone know how to do that? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi goto 'Tools - customize', select your menubar in this list and click 're-set' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I have inadvertantly removed the "Tools" button from my Menu Bar and > need to re-add it. Does anyone know how to do that? > Thanks > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ A) The OP lost his Tools menu, so he can&#...

New help with setting up printing
I am helping a friend with a 50th class reunion. I am uning a booklet style and have the middle two pages as a picutre, and a front and back cover. The pages in the middle will be class mates in alphibetical order. Not sure how to set up the pages between the cover and the center. Total of 12 pages with 1 being front 12 being back and 6 & 7 being the picture in the middle. I need to know where to start the bios on all the classmates to make them come out in order in the booklet. Thanks in advamce. What version Publisher? The catalog merge maybe your solution. Otherwise, you have 8 ...

Search My Report Help
I made a report from a table that is a list of files with their hyperlink, a description column, etc. I want to make a report that has a search button at the top, and can be searched by All columns or the few columns I have. I have tried to search for answers and am new to Access. Can someone give me a good resource, give me some code help, or tell me if this is possible? You can't put command buttons on a report. Therefore you need to "search" for the data in the query that you use for the record source for the report. You can search on a form. In fact there...

Need help with SetCapture & Release Capture API
Hi I have a user control to display a thumbnail. When the mouse moves over the thumbnail a blue square highlights the control and when it moves out of the control it goes back to default. All this works well except for one thing. I create an array of 50 usercontrols and use a Picture Control and Scoll bars to sroll the pics up and down. ie a Viewport. I have 2 buttons at the bottom. Back & Forward Now if I scoll down and hover over a usercontrol that is half displayed at the bottom and then move downwards to click the forward button the ReleaseCapture event is not bein...

help choosing a chart format.
In my last job, we had a waterfall plot that would show time on the X axis, frequency on the y axes and the marker would change color according to magnitude of the signal. is there a good chart that will perform this type of plot? It is kind of like an XY scatter plot with a variable color. see peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "fugazi48" <fugazi48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A6088FA-C207-4CB2-A103-02CD9549D7E5@microsoft.com... > In my last job, we ...

Need help - Save as
In new Outlook 2003, when I highlight several e-mail in my Inbox & select File, Save As, it only saves the Headers of the e-mails & not the headers & the body - in my old Outlook 2000 it saved both - can any one tell me how to correct this? I have a program that read the Saved As file & processes the data in the e-mails & I can't find where to change any option to fix this... though I have read & read & read... thxs much !!! What format are the messages and are you using the old Ol97/2002 pst format or the new Unicode format? We're seeing issues ...

need help with Index, Match and Countif in the same complicated formula
Hi, I have a spreadsheet Expense Journal designed for entering expenses in two currencies, one for Dollar and one for a local currency. It has two sections of rows, the top is for Dollar Expenses and uses no exchange figures because the spreadsheet converts everything to Dollars. This Dollar section has five columns: Date Project # Account # Description Dollar Amount In the blank spreadsheet that they start anew each quarter, there are only two rows setup for Dollar expenses because most of their expenses will be in Local currency. Below the Dollar secti...

help with line graph
i accidently and unknowingly tuned off the line on my line graph, when i try to do the line graph the line isn't there. please help!!!!!!!!! Can you see the markers on the chart? If so right click one, select Format Data Series; on the Pattern tab put check mark next to Line If you cannot see it; click on chart, tap up/down arrows watching Name box, when Series 1 show up, use menu item Format. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "darci" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:149a201c3f8f9$4cf70c70$a601280a@...

I need to add tool bar in my application
hai I am working on a dialog base application i need to add a tool bar in my dialog based application i followed the steps given by the below link http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/W-D/dislog/toolbarsandstatusbars/article.php/c1949/ but it didnt work for me i found that my application didnt even shows its dialog box can any one help me -praveen That link also has a downloadable project with it. If thats working and given you have provided absolutely no code or whats not working, I would suggest go back to the sample and compare it with your code. MSDN also has an article about how to do ...

upgrade from Money 2002 to 2004
I'm looking to upgrade from 2002 to 2004 - are there any problems/issues I should be aware of? Thanks. Some files have problems upgrading for reasons unknown. "H Barker" <hmbarker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Oow153Z1DHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I'm looking to upgrade from 2002 to 2004 - are there any problems/issues I > should be aware of? no "H Barker" <hmbarker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Oow153Z1DHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I'm looking to upgrade from 2002 to 2004 - are there any problems/issues I > shoul...

Upgrading to 2008, cannot transfer old identity
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Installed 2008 on a MacBook Pro. Office Setup Assistant found two previous identities - the main identity, and a backup (from a previous database rebuild). I checked the box next to the main identity and selected to transfer it. However, nothing happens, and the setup assistant continues to ask me which identity I want to transfer. I tried checking the backup identity, also, and it transfers over (it turns gray on completion), but I cannot get the main identity to transfer. On 10/13/09 11:18 AM, in article 59b7e851.-1@w...

HELP..Tax exempt issues
hey there kind of stuck..I have a client and she needs to use the indian status tax exemption. I have it set up that when everything is done that she can select the HST tax or the Tax Exempt (meaning pay only PST) i believe..anyways When we do this for some reason it goes to $0 in tax which isnt correct..I tried it like 5 times and all same thing..i rechecked everything and i know i am doing it correctly because i ave done it other clients..this one has become a mystery..plz anyone help me asap thanks ...

Need Parser that can read attributes of XML document...
Hello guys, I am looking for a parser in PHP that can return all the attributes of XML entities. I know how to read the XML Entities, but I have got a problem with reading attributes. So I will appreciate if you could give a parser that can return all the Entities and Attributes of respective entities as an array. For e.g.: <?xml version="1.0" ?> <Controller> <NumberOfBoards>5</NumberOfBoards> <NumberOfKeypads>1</NumberOfKeypads> <QueueMode>N</QueueMode> <EntranceDelay on="5" off="5" /> <Limits minLength=&...

Help with printing gridlines
I have a wksht where I can see the gridlines, and have selected a checkmark to print out with the gridlines. However, if I do a print preview or print, the gridlines are missing in the output. I must have turned something off accidentally. Bob "The Dog Breeders List" <rltutt@earthlink.net> wrote in news:BF14336F-FD99-4635-80EA-030D2DF242D7@microsoft.com: > I have a wksht where I can see the gridlines, and have selected a > checkmark to print out with the gridlines. However, if I do a print > preview or print, the gridlines are missing in the output. I must have >...

need help printing on a form
How do i print a list addresses that i have saved in excel on a form from like an address book. i dont know how to arrange the address name etc... manually before printing. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It may be easiest to print the list by using Microsoft Word's Mail Merge feature to pull the data from Excel. There's information on the Word MVPs' web site: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/ help_needed wrote: > How do i print a list addresses that i have saved in excel on a form > from like an address book. i dont know how to arrange t...

Will Money suit my needs?
I have been a long time user of Quicken but am now looking for an alternative. While Q is a very good program for looking back - what I need now is a program that is able to also give me an accurate picture of future events/cash flow/balances down to the daily level. I would particularly like the ability to put in a number of senarios to give me the net result of different financial decisions and to be able to compare the results-- preferably on screen and then be able to adjust the what ifs and save the results for ongoing planning. I don't need automatic downloads or some other featur...

Why can't I save Publisher files since an XP upgrade?
-- 89Q Radio Trial version? Maybe the time has run out. Are you saving to your hard drive? Can you open files? Do you get an error? What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Coy" <Coy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4666111-8322-43AA-BD05-A1E24D4D7C23@microsoft.com... > > -- > 89Q Radio Mary: I have used Publisher 2002 for a couple of years now. It was only recently (since an upgrade t...

OLMAP32.DLL Error after upgrade from Office 2003 to Office 2007 on XP/SP3 machine
Two days ago I upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 Enterprise on a laptop running XP/SP3. Everything I've tried in the office suite seems to work well except Outlook. Even after applying Office SP1, whenever I try to start Outlook I get a tiny error box that simply says error, OLMAPI32.DLL. I have spent more time than I would like to admit Googling the problem but have found no solution that works for me although I've tried various solutions that appear in multiple discussions of the problem=97up to and including experimenting with removing all registry references to OLMAPI32.D...

Please Help
My Windows Media Player wont play a single thing, sometimes Video will show with no sound, but I cant see videos on my laptop of my Daughter, Holidays, Listen to music or anything....I plugged my Laptop into my T.V earlier using HDMI but am not sure if this caused the problem because I have listen to music since then....Its 3.04 in the morning and am stressing out badly....anybody that can help....Thank You In run,type:appwiz.cpl Then open from L.sub-menu, "add-remove windows components",scroll to bottom,make sure WMP is checked.Otherwise, which version are you run...

help, mshtml.h
I am using VC6 and IE6 am trying to get the sample code wb_print06 to work, this sample is supposed to render the contents of the browser control to a bitmap file. Unufortunately I cannot get it to build because IHTMLElement2 is used in the sample but is not defined in my <mshtml.h> header. According to MSDN documentation this type has a minimum availability of IE5 so why doesn't my header have it? How can I get this to compile, do I need a new version of the mshtml header? How do I generate that? Follup: I figured it out. You have to download and install updated platform s...

Need Help with Coding a ComboBox in Excel/VBa......
Hi all, Perhaps someone can help me.......... I have the following code written in VBA. Private Sub SupervisorComboBox_Change() Sheets("Sheet2").Range("C1") = SupervisorComboBox.Value I have a ComboBox that lists ten supervisors. When the user chooses a supervisor from the ComboBox drop down list the name gets stored on the second Sheet, in cell, "C1". Now then.......there is a second ComboBox underneath this first one This ComboBox lists each employee that works under the chose supervisor. The employee's name gets stored in cell, "D1" My que...

Help With Econnect
Hi everybody, i need help with econnect with the PA TIME SHEET TRANSACTION SCHEMA (Project Accounting), my problem is that i don't know how to do for build of schema with VISUAL BASIC.NET, somebody know how to work with this????.... thank so much. thanks a lot. I don't have any experience with PA but noticed that there is an example XML file named '1085 PA TS1001 Timesheet.xml' in the folder '\\eConnect75\XML Sample Documents\Incoming'. This should give you the schema information and what information you need to process the transaction. I do have some VB.Net bas...

Since Upgrading To SBS 2003 Cannot Start CRM Security Service
I just upgraded from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 and can no longer run Microsoft CRM 1.2. When I try to start the Microsoft CRM Security Service I get the following message: "Could Not Start The Microsoft CRM Security Service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The Service Did Not Respond To The Start Or Control Request In A Timely Fashion" Any ideas? Thanks. Rick Bellefond RB Data Services I ran into huge issues with upgrading from SBS 2000 to 2003. I had to do a total system reinstall, not good news, but it seemed to corrupt IIS and other things. MS couldn't find a fix for...