Help needed in transfering VC++ program to WWW

Hello,

i have a program written in VC++ using MFC.i want this program to be
available on WWW.can any one suggest how can i make it.

Is there any tools in visual studio so that i can easily make it
available on WWW or i have to again write the complete program on .net
or PHP.

even if i have to write the complete program which is easiest way to
make it and which one is the best either .net or PHP.

Thanks in advance

Shobha

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Most programs written with MFC are intended to be run on the local computer in a Windows
environment.  Applications on the Internet are often a combination of code executed on the server
(such as PHP or ASP.NET) and in the local browser environment (such as through JavaScript or Java).
Most web applications do not (and should not) require that the user be running in a Windows
environment -- they should work for Unix/Linux, MacOS, etc. just as well.

Thus, there would not be an easy portability for an MFC program to a web application.  The choice of
which language(s) to use, and whether to execute on the server and/or the client, will most depend
on the type of application it is.  There is no single best answer to that part of your question.

<ranishobha21@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> i have a program written in VC++ using MFC.i want this program to be
> available on WWW.can any one suggest how can i make it.
>
> Is there any tools in visual studio so that i can easily make it
> available on WWW or i have to again write the complete program on .net
> or PHP.
>
> even if i have to write the complete program which is easiest way to
> make it and which one is the best either .net or PHP.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Shobha

0
ScotB (233)
1/15/2007 3:57:35 PM
If you just want to distribute the program you could just zip up all the
files and make it available for download.

If you are trying to create a web-based program then I would recommend
against using MFC.  In that case you should investigate using .NET and
perhaps web services.

Tom

<ranishobha21@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> i have a program written in VC++ using MFC.i want this program to be
> available on WWW.can any one suggest how can i make it.
>
> Is there any tools in visual studio so that i can easily make it
> available on WWW or i have to again write the complete program on .net
> or PHP.
>
> even if i have to write the complete program which is easiest way to
> make it and which one is the best either .net or PHP.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Shobha

0
tserface (3861)
1/15/2007 6:42:32 PM
ranishobha21@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>i have a program written in VC++ using MFC.i want this program to be
>available on WWW.can any one suggest how can i make it.

What kind of program is it? If it's a GUI program, then at the very
least, you're going to have to rewrite it to *not* use a graphical
interface. Your interface with your user will be via HTML.

If it's a console app, your odds are better. All web servers can
handle CGI (Common Gateway Interface), the very first method web
servers had of running a program and sending its results to the user.
CGI program are basically console apps. You'll have to find tutorials
on CGI (there are plenty available on the 'Net) to tell you how to
access the data the user passes you. The output is easier: write an
HTML page to standard output.

NOTE: while it's true that all web servers (AFAIK) can handle CGI, not
all hosters make this or other server-side technologies available to
their users.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Thank you for your reply.I am having GUI program.can you give some more
suggession.like in which area i should concentrate to make it a web
application.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Shobha

Tim Slattery wrote:
> ranishobha21@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >Hello,
> >
> >i have a program written in VC++ using MFC.i want this program to be
> >available on WWW.can any one suggest how can i make it.
>
> What kind of program is it? If it's a GUI program, then at the very
> least, you're going to have to rewrite it to *not* use a graphical
> interface. Your interface with your user will be via HTML.
>
> If it's a console app, your odds are better. All web servers can
> handle CGI (Common Gateway Interface), the very first method web
> servers had of running a program and sending its results to the user.
> CGI program are basically console apps. You'll have to find tutorials
> on CGI (there are plenty available on the 'Net) to tell you how to
> access the data the user passes you. The output is easier: write an
> HTML page to standard output.
>
> NOTE: while it's true that all web servers (AFAIK) can handle CGI, not
> all hosters make this or other server-side technologies available to
> their users.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
> http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

ranishobha21@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello Tim,
>
>Thank you for your reply.I am having GUI program.can you give some more
>suggession.like in which area i should concentrate to make it a web
>application.

You need to look at what input you're taking from your users and what
output you're displaying to them, and you have to design HTML forms
and pages to do that. It won't look exactly like the current program,
and it won't work like the current program. If you don't know much
about HTML and server-side processing, then you'll have to learn that.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)
Slattery_T@bls.gov
http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
0
Slattery_T (112)
1/17/2007 9:03:51 PM
Hello Scot,

i have a client server program in VC++,i want to provide this client -
server application on web.which program i should use whether PHP or i
can convert VC++ to active X control and then display in html?

Best Regards
Shobha

Scot T Brennecke wrote:
> Most programs written with MFC are intended to be run on the local computer in a Windows
> environment.  Applications on the Internet are often a combination of code executed on the server
> (such as PHP or ASP.NET) and in the local browser environment (such as through JavaScript or Java).
> Most web applications do not (and should not) require that the user be running in a Windows
> environment -- they should work for Unix/Linux, MacOS, etc. just as well.
>
> Thus, there would not be an easy portability for an MFC program to a web application.  The choice of
> which language(s) to use, and whether to execute on the server and/or the client, will most depend
> on the type of application it is.  There is no single best answer to that part of your question.
>
> <ranishobha21@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > i have a program written in VC++ using MFC.i want this program to be
> > available on WWW.can any one suggest how can i make it.
> >
> > Is there any tools in visual studio so that i can easily make it
> > available on WWW or i have to again write the complete program on .net
> > or PHP.
> >
> > even if i have to write the complete program which is easiest way to
> > make it and which one is the best either .net or PHP.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Shobha

PHP, ASP.NET, Python and such are all server-side software solutions.  They don't require the user
to install anything locally or even have a specific platform on the local machine.  They don't
expose the user to as much risk, either.  However, they don't provide as much flexibility if you
need to take advantage of local resources or target features of a specific local platform.  Also, if
you have a great many clients accessing your web page, more burden on the server means slower
response time for the users.

> Hello Scot,
>
> i have a client server program in VC++,i want to provide this client -
> server application on web.which program i should use whether PHP or i
> can convert VC++ to active X control and then display in html?
>
> Best Regards
> Shobha
>
> Scot T Brennecke wrote:
>> Most programs written with MFC are intended to be run on the local computer in a Windows
>> environment.  Applications on the Internet are often a combination of code executed on the server
>> (such as PHP or ASP.NET) and in the local browser environment (such as through JavaScript or
>> Java).
>> Most web applications do not (and should not) require that the user be running in a Windows
>> environment -- they should work for Unix/Linux, MacOS, etc. just as well.
>>
>> Thus, there would not be an easy portability for an MFC program to a web application.  The choice
>> of
>> which language(s) to use, and whether to execute on the server and/or the client, will most
>> depend
>> on the type of application it is.  There is no single best answer to that part of your question.
>>
>> <ranishobha21@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > i have a program written in VC++ using MFC.i want this program to be
>> > available on WWW.can any one suggest how can i make it.
>> >
>> > Is there any tools in visual studio so that i can easily make it
>> > available on WWW or i have to again write the complete program on .net
>> > or PHP.
>> >
>> > even if i have to write the complete program which is easiest way to
>> > make it and which one is the best either .net or PHP.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Shobha

0
ScotB (233)

Bar chart help wanted
Hello to everybody ! I have this kind of data: TIME VALUE 0:00:00 0 0:00:34 1 0:00:35 1 0:01:00 0 0:01:30 0 0:01:33 1 0:01:55 1 0:01:59 0 0:02:00 0 0:02:10 1 0:02:15 1 0:03:00 0 0:03:05 0 0:03:07 1 0:03:55 1 0:08:00 0 and I need to create bar chart that would have a bar of the hight equal to 1 at each time value where the "value" in table (Y-axis) equals one (and also between "one"s values). In all other time values the Y value is zero ! Excel bar chart seems to omit all values that are not in the dataset ! I need to include also those time values that are not expli...

Pivot table help #11
I needed help with a Pivot table. In the attached excel sheet i am trying to use the Creatiion date (coloum X)as one of the filters in the pivot table. Could someone please guide me as to how i can filter with the Creation date as one of the pivot tables. Thanks Sammy ...

Need help with a query
Let me start by saying that I have very little experience in Access. I've learned what I know by "tinkering" around in it and a lot of the terminology I've seen on these boards is above my head. Here's the background to my question. I created an employee database that consists of one massive form with several tabs and on each tab there are several subforms. The main form was created from the Employee Header table and the subforms were created from queries from tables. The idea is when you open the form, you see an employee's basic info on the top ...

help. outlook 2007. not listing contacts
Hi all, i have a small problem in that some of my contacts are not listed in my contacts, example: in address bar type 'b' get a list of all my 'b' contacts, barbara, ben, bill, etc but none of them appear in my address book, or contacts. only listed if i add them to address bar. My question is: where are they stored cos I want to delete one or more. I think they are addresses i have only replied to and never 'created' but have used for new messages, by just typing the first letter and selecting from there. Help please. Many thanks in advance. Lepak Lepak Nera...

Help, Excel Files Being Wiped Out: Data Lost or Corrupted
When I try to open certain Excel files, I get this message: Unable to read file. [OK] Unable to read file. [OK] Errors were detected ... MS was able to open the file by making the repairs below. Save the file to make the repairs permanent. Damage to the file so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel attempted to recover your formulaes and values, but data may have been lost or corrupted. The resulting file is devoid of any formatting, and some formulaes are gone. It's really no use since it takes so much time to reconstruct these files. I've been saving 4 different v...

Need to convert an HTML file to a valid XTML file
I just found out I can edit my HTMLHelp in VS2005 I like it better that editing in the HTML Help Workshop This is an old help file, actually generated when Win help was in vogue. VS identifies many things that should be changed - line HTML not being lower case. Much of it is cosmetic - a program could fix most of it. Is there such a program. That is, one that will read an HTML file and produce a valid XTML file? Thanks in advance Frank wrote: > I just found out I can edit my HTMLHelp in VS2005 > > I like it better that editing in the HTML Help Workshop > > This i...

Convert an Access program to Excel
With help, I created an Access program that I want to convert to an Excel program if possible. Program used Buttons that when hit calculated information input into several boxes and then caused a dialog box to open with a value and a message depending on the value calculated. Would like to know if you can do this same sort of thing in Excel. David Undoubtedly, Excel will be able to do this, but it will need, probably, to be re-written. If the dialogues used were VBA MsgBox and VBA InputBox or MSUserForms it will be easy, as these are common to all office applications, but if they ar...

Which Office 2010 Configuration Do I Need For Our New Business?
We are starting a new medium sized business and need help deciding which MS Office products we will need. Can someone direct me to the proper place to get this information? So far I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks Office 2010 is still in BETA. You could review all info out there for 2007 which is available for purchase. Saidas wrote: > We are starting a new medium sized business and need help deciding which MS > Office products we will need. Can someone direct me to the proper place to > get this information? So far I haven't been able to find a...

help: how protect formulas in workbook?
Can we locked cells with formulas from editing in one step? When I select cells with formulas in all worksheets by selecting all worksheets and give properties "locked" in Format -Cells-Protection tab and when I try to protect worksheet by Tools-Protection-Protect Sheet is not available. Can we protect all worksheet in workbook in one step or we must do it sheet by sheet? Thanks. spanic -- spanic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ spanic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5105 View this thread: ht...

need assistance setting up formula in excel for number x 15%?
=a1*15% =555*15% sari wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Help with profiles .pst files and roaming profiles
Hi all and thanks in advance for the future answers; Well, we have a enviromente that goes like this: 1 Domain Controller 1 Mail Server running KERIO MAIL SERVER 2 Terminal Servers running CITRIX PS 4.5 1 Server running the citrix console The problem: We have like 50 users now that connect to servers A or B and have their roaming profile working fine, all files and configs come and go, with the exception of the OUTLOOK profile. When i had to add SERVER B to the system, i had to copy users folders from server A and apply the same permissions one by one, otherwise outlook would not work and ...

Help rank features for future Dynamics GP releases
Each year, we ask customers to give us valuable insight into the enhancement of our products. When you give us your feedback and opinions, you help us refine our software to make it even more customer friendly. Please take a few moments to visit the URL below and complete the Product Advisory Board Survey now. This forum is an important way for us to get your opinion on our products, but this special opportunity is available for a limited time. https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/pabs -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. We w...

On installation
I've just installed a copy of Publisher 97 on a friend's computer running under Windows 98. The installation completed without a hitch. However when I click on the publisher icon the program won't run and I get the message that says it has performed an illegal action and has to close? Any ideas will be gratefully received. Noel (UK) usu. a memory error.. cleanup, scandisk and defrag... still happening? -- "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS someone with more" "Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spam...

HELP! Money Files and Backup files lost!!
I had a computer guy work on my computer and asked him to consolidate folders because we had folders all over the place and I wanted them all in a centralized location. As a result, Money can't find my files. I tried doing a search for *.mbf & *.mny files to no avail. The files that show up are EMPTY!! AND as luck would have it, BOTH my backup floppies are corrupt!! Can anyone help me find my files? The computer guy insists that he deleted nothing. I'm using Microsoft Money 2001. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as we're talking about 8 years of finanacial d...

Spread Sheet Help again
Here it is hope someone can help me out one more time? I sell something for $25.00 or lower the fee is 5.25% ($1.31), But if its more $25.01 to $1,000.00 fee is 5.25% of the initial $25.00 ($1.31), plus 2.75% ($0.68)of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00) Cell H1 is $25.00 then Cell J1 is $1.31 (5.25%) Cell H1 is $25.01 then Cell J1 is $1.31 (5.25%)plus 2.75% or $1.99 Can I have them in the same cell somehow is this possable? Thanks for the help -- califman1961 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ califman1961's Profile: http:/...

Yes/No data field help
Hello- I have several fields in Access that are Yes/No data types but I want them to be 0,1 in the TABLE and have a check box in the Form. How do I do this? When I choose the Yes/No Data Type in the table it defaults to the checkbox but I am guessing I can change this to text I still get yes and no when I do Combo box I can change the choices to 0,1 but I am unsure then how to change the combo box to a checkbox in the form. Thanks! If the datatype is YES/NO then you can just delete the combo box and then drag and drop a checkbox on to your form. Then, in the checkbox's record...

help!!! #2
Can somebody tell me the name and location of the file that holds the address book? I have reinstall the outlook and imported the contacts from a comma delimited file, all of the contacts appear on the contact folder but when I open a new message window and click on the TO: button to add recipients a message saying that the address book could not be found and after that it shows a window asking for the proper list to show in a drop down list; that drop down list says 3 times the word "contacts" and if I select the second then all the contacts would appear but I don't kn...

Office Help and Embeded links
Strange problem on one machine. Help files work, however, like the show all link or any of the other links that show up, clicking on them does nothing. All other machines are working with not problem, just this one. Uninstall/reinstall does not work. It is not the customer feedback problem or the default browser. Any ideas? ...

I need to filter based on colour
Hello I have a spreadsheet of Excel 2003 in which in one column (column B) there are entries coloured yellow and some with no colour (white). I need to filter and see only the yellow entries . But I need to filter all the columns of the spreadsheet based upon the yellow colour of column B. So I can see all the information in every other column of those yellow entries of column B. Can someone help me? Thanks Jimmy Unless all the yellows are derived from the same formula for a custom autofilte then you would need to have a for each loop macro that hid the non yellow rows. -- Don Guil...

Chart display help
How can I have the chart bars display the percentages and the data labels be the raw numbers? Is this possible? Hi, By default bar charts don't display percentages, however, you could create custom data labels by combing a calculation of the percentage with the actual value in another range and the using a program like the free XL Chart Labeler to pick up that range for the data labels. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Suppose the numbers that are your Values are in C2:C10, create a new column by entering the following formula in D2 =C2/SUM(C$2:C$10) Copy this fo...

[ANN] Entourage Help Page revised
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3167822367_9059007 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Check out the new revised Entourage Help Page. > <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> For easy searching check out: > EHP Site Map <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/site/map.html> Start your search of the FAQs here: > <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq/atoz/a.html> Exchange Support for Entourage 2004 > > <h...

Help window in Leopard stuck behind menu bar
Since installing Leopard when I open the Help window in any Office program it opens at the top of the desktop and seems to be behind the menu bar. The red, yellow and green buttons are missing/ not visible as well as the rest of the window header. It can't be moved or manipulated in any way. The real problem occurs when trying to close the window. Using keyboard short cuts it first acts on the active window. So in Excel it will close the workbook window when hitting command-W. Then it will work to close the help window. This slows everything down. Any help would be appreciated. Mike Go in...

help!
I use MS Money every few weeks to update my after tax accounts. It does a good job. When I tried today, it won't connect to any three of my accounts. It just says "update in process" next to all of my accounts. I have the password in the promt box (I read the note on merging accounts).. do you think that is the fix? Any help would be appreciated. I was unable to update my accounts late Friday night, but OK Saturday afternoon, then unavailable again late Saturday. This is usual for Bank of America as they do maintenance on weekends. This MAY be your issue or it could...

Need control to not display its data under certain circumstances
I have a form that saves "99" for a particular field if that field is left blank (which for us means that we tried, but weren't able to collect that information). However, when I load that form for a pre-existing record, I would like these fields to not show the 99, but rather to appear empty. Is there a way to do that through the control properties? Meaning, is there a way to not display the saved value for a particular control if the data saved for it was a 99? Thanks for your help. Try conditional formatting. Create a condition that says, if the value of the control = 99, ...

HELP!! RESTORE BACKUP FILES!??
Hello everyone, Here is the situation, one of my clients is using MS MONEY 2001 to keep track of his financial dealings. He was having problems with his dell computer last week so he used the RESTORE CD to format and re-install all the original applications. BEFORE he did this though, he BACKED UP his MS MONEY 2001 files onto 3 floppy disks because it was such a large backup. Therefore he has the following 3 files on floppy disks: 1. my money d1.mbf 2. my money d2.mbf 3. my money d3.mbf I re-installed MS MONEY 2001 on the newly formatted computer and then tried to restore his ...