HDD failure detection (RAID configuration)

Hello
I am developing a C++ application which has to detect when a HDD stops
working properly.
HDDs are connected to a RAID controller, and the PC is running Windows XP.

Do you know generic IOCTL commands which permit to interrogate a RAID
controller driver? The controler appears (in the windows device manager) to
be a "Intel 82801ER
SATA RAID controller".

Or do you know a Windows API or method which permits to test the HDD state ?

On Intel's website there is no information aboout this topic but they have a
pdf file which explains that we can verify the presence of a HDD by reading
an internal port in the PC.
But in Windows XP, in user mode, i don't know a method which can read a port
at the address 0x92.
Does someone have an idea ??

Thanks in advance

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Alex wrote:

> Hello
> I am developing a C++ application which has to detect when a HDD stops
> working properly.
> HDDs are connected to a RAID controller, and the PC is running Windows XP.
>
> Do you know generic IOCTL commands which permit to interrogate a RAID
> controller driver? The controler appears (in the windows device manager) to
> be a "Intel 82801ER
> SATA RAID controller".
>
> Or do you know a Windows API or method which permits to test the HDD state ?
>
> On Intel's website there is no information aboout this topic but they have a
> pdf file which explains that we can verify the presence of a HDD by reading
> an internal port in the PC.
> But in Windows XP, in user mode, i don't know a method which can read a port
> at the address 0x92.
> Does someone have an idea ??
>
> Thanks in advance

You may have better luck posting this in
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel.
0
trevor8686 (35)
7/23/2004 2:47:04 PM
Thanks for the info, i will try it now!

"Trevor" <trevor@spam.com> a �crit dans le message de
> Alex wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I am developing a C++ application which has to detect when a HDD stops
> > working properly.
> > HDDs are connected to a RAID controller, and the PC is running Windows
XP.

> > Do you know generic IOCTL commands which permit to interrogate a RAID
> > controller driver? The controler appears (in the windows device manager)
> > be a "Intel 82801ER
> > SATA RAID controller".
> >
> > Or do you know a Windows API or method which permits to test the HDD
state ?

> > On Intel's website there is no information aboout this topic but they
have a
> > pdf file which explains that we can verify the presence of a HDD by
reading
> > an internal port in the PC.
> > But in Windows XP, in user mode, i don't know a method which can read a
port
> > at the address 0x92.
> > Does someone have an idea ??
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> You may have better luck posting this in
> microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel.

DPM Configuration Analyzer 2007
I have installed DPM configuration analyzer on a workstation, with all its pre-requisites. When I open the program, I enter the name of the DPM server to scan. I get this report. DPM has been successfully installed. However, you must restart the computer to complete the DPM installation. (ID: 4319) I can not seem to resolve this. Both the workstation and server have been booted. usign dpm 2007 and SP1 i have same issue. Windows 7 - dpm mgmt shell intalled and servers reboted "SDLLDS" wrote: > I have installed DPM configuration analyzer on a workstation,...

"...Please wait while windows configures Microsoft Frontpage 2000 SR-1..."
Can anyone shed some light on why when opening certain emails in Outlook 2002 (running in Citrix) outlook tries to "configure" Frontpage. I have uninstalled/reinstalled frontpage on the server, as well as deleting & restoring my profile. Still - every time I open certain emails for the first time this message comes up. Once I have opened the email once, it will open again without the message reappearing. ...

Configuration Wizard
I thought there used to be a wizard like tool that helped with the planning of a deployment. Took the user through a series of questions, etc.. Does anyone know if that is still available or where it can be downloaded from. I can't remember if it was part of 1.2 or 3.0. Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm referring to. Thanks! When you download the implementation Guide it hsa has many tools to help plan a deployment. I have not seen the tool you mention for CRM 4 ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist http://blogs.msdn...

SQL Express 2008 Reporting Services not configuring URLs during in
Working with a Windows 7 Professional PC with a 64 bit AMD processor. This is a standalone install of SQL.. no server. The user is an adminstrator. We are disabling the defensive programs before installing, and do not receive any error messags or permission requests from them during the install. Trying to install SQL Express 2008 Advanced Services (x64). During the install, under the options for installing reporting services I select Option 1 on the Reporting Services Configuration: "Install the Native mode default configuration". The install reports "Success...

How can I configure my Exchange 5.5 to accept mail relayed off another server?
I have an anti-spam SMTP relay gateway that my mail passes through. I would like to send it on to the Exchange 5.5 server after it has been filtered. How can I configure Exchange 5.5 to accept mail this way? THe same way you would configure it if it accepted inbound mail directly from the Internet. Or is there something else you were looking for? On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:39:47 -0500, "michaaal" <res0gyio@verizon.net> wrote: >I have an anti-spam SMTP relay gateway that my mail passes through. I would >like to send it on to the Exchange 5.5 server after it has been ...

why can't I use detect and repair?
when I try to run detect and repair, I am asked for the office cd and it tries to install something???? and then it spins for 5 minutes and then it just says that it has completed the setup/ and that is that, never runs repair??? what to do?? and why doesn't it work bob wrote: > when I try to run detect and repair, I am asked for the office cd and > it tries to install something???? and then it spins for 5 minutes > and then it just says that it has completed the setup/ > > and that is that, never runs repair??? what to do?? and why doesn't > it work Not sure -...

Cannot void credit card transactions
For some reason we can't void transactions. When I try to do the void, it will first give the error message: "an invalid card number was detected." If I try to re-enter the card information correctly (swipe or hand-key) it starts to process the void, but never finishes. The status bars indicate that something is happening, but I don't believe them. It will take about 10 min to reach the end of the status bar box (the blue squares) and then it will stop and do nothing and the only way to close it is by shutting down the whole program-- ctrl+alt+del. We can, however, recall tr...

exchange failure
help!! i have a problem with exchange server i start the server i'm working ok an after a while outlook( from clients) have no connection with server. in application log have the message failed to enable directory change notification via DSACCESS. Error code is 800706ba (the rpc server is anavailable) There is also an other message: Exchange system attendand reported an error 0x800706ba when setting ds notification. thanks!!!! Did something happen to your site services account or it;s password? -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "...

Duplicate Detection Quiting too soon
Greetings, and thank you in advance for considering this: In my CRM 4.0 system, when I run the tool duplicate detection for the entity Leads from the toolbar within the [Sales] Leads list screen, the duplicate detection process runs successfully, but only gives me up to 12 matches before it stops. Once I match up those duplicates, I can run the duplicate detection tool again and get 10 to 12 more duplicates before it successfully quits. This can go on and on. I'd really like to troubleshoot what is causing the detection algorithm to quit early instead of processing the whole li...

Email delays and failures
Recently users have mentioned that mail from some domains has been delayed; sometimes an hour or 3. I'm curious if others have noticed this and if it's the result of a recent security patch, a misconfiguration on my part, or possibly something with our AV/Spam server. thanks, Bob Take a look at the message header to see where the delay was (look at the time stamps from each server the message passed thru to see if it sat at one server). Todd "BLMuzzy" <bob.muzzy@planitax.com> wrote in message news:%23HpdTA%236GHA.4552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Recently...

SMTP inbound failure very odd
OK, windows 2003 server, DC, with Exchange 2003 on it (not sure if SP1 or not, need to check). Here's the strange thing. From anywhere, I can telnet to this server via port 25, with either helo or ehlo, start a session in a command prompt, and send mail to any account in there. test@domain.com or administrator@domain.com are the ones I'm testing with the most just to keep from doing things to the poor users. I don't want to confuse them with a lot of test messages popping into their inbox. any account can send mail outbound normally, either via their OWA or directly from their se...

exchange mailbox configuration question
Hi all, I have client that is using SBS2k3 and they have asked if I can setup a group of users that have access to only the calendars of each other and not things like the mail inbox and etcetera. Would anyone know how to set this up from something like the server Management? The group consists of 15-20 users Now I know that access like this is possible if it's your mailbox and you grant the access of other users into your calendar only and not things like your email. I have had a look around the exchange sites to try and find some doco on how or where to look inside the SBS system, b...

Help! MTA failing to restart after a power failure
OS = NT4 SP6, Exchange Ver. 5.5 System Attendant is up and running. Information Store is up and running. Exchange Agent is up and running. RPC is started … (See warning message from app log below) The following entries are in the System and Application Logs in order of appearance beginning with earliest entry first and were successive in the logs … log entries before and after were the successful startup entries for the other Exchange Agents: System Log Entries: The Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service depends on the Microsoft Exchange Message Transfer Agent which failed to start du...

Saving mail configuration in OL2003
I have a tedious to reproduce email configuration that consists of 1 Exchange account, 4 POP3 accounts, and a bunch of client-side rules. Is it possible to back this configuration up so that I don't have to recreate it whenever I reinstall Windows? -Herb Use the Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard to save them "herb" <no@no.com> wrote in message news:evLwbYc4FHA.2352@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I have a tedious to reproduce email configuration that consists of 1 >Exchange account, 4 POP3 accounts, and a bunch of client-side rules. Is it >possible to back...

Inbound Notifications Failures not delivered to Administrator #2
Inbound Notifications Failures not delivered to Administrator (and subsequently forwarded to me). Recent new SBS2003 (and Exchange 2003)install.. I have amended the properties of the Default SMTP Virtual Server and on the messages tab, "send copy of non-delivery report to, I have put my email address in. I am a step closer to what I am wanting to achieve... ..... I am getting the NDR's now for unresolved reciprients.. ....with the old 5.5 setup we had, the email itself was attached to the NDR... There is an option in Default SMTP Virtual Server for "Forward unresolved ma...

Raid configuration of SBS 2008 Premium Virtualization
Folks, I did a thread a month or so ago about my new HW and plans to virtualize SBS2008 Premium and the Server08 install, and got a lot of good advice and plan to start this process in the next week or so. I will be doing a SBSMigration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. One question if I may: I bought a server with 24G of RAM and 4-300Gb 10K Disks. My plan is to create one big raid 5 HW array and for SBS2008 setup 100Gb for the OS, and 250Gb for Exchange, and on the Server08 box 100Gb for the OS, and 450Gb for apps and file storage. Does this sound reasonable? A friend sugg...

Failure to connect to specific mail server
Hi All, We are running Exchange 2003 under SBS 2003 Prem. One of my users is having consistent problems sending email to a server, and it *appears* that the destination server is saying that our exchange server is using an incorrect syntax when transferring the email. I believe that this is not correct - we don't have the issue in general, but I would also like to get a second opinion from someone here who might know more than I do about email. The email domain is: bmw.co.nz Their mail server: smtp.bmw.co.nz Error: The server claims that the email address of the recipient is in...

Global Deny Configuration
I have a simple question on functionality of the content filtering global deny list feature. 1. I am using ech2k3 on win2k3. 2. We currently are using an outside service to scan our email for virus/worms. Therefore the ip address range of incoming email is always the same. 3.I tried adding ip address of known spammers into the global deny list in exchange system manager and this didn't work. (Note:Yes the smtp connection filter is also checked.) 4. Will the global access look through the header down to the source or just the last one?? I've seen spam headers that contain s...

multiple sheets lose printer configuration
When printing a workbook, the included sheets start to lose printer setup after the first 10-13 pages. The setup has the job going to tray1 for punched paper, and all works for the first 10-15 pages. Then the job continues, but to a different tray. I could not duplicate this with multiple pages from word doc or multiple pages of notepad. Only occurs in Excel (2K) . Has anyone had a similar issue that was specific to Excel 2K ? Thanks ...

Visual Studio Web Setup Project Detect SQL Server 2008
Hello Everybody Someone can tell me how i can check during my installation if sql server 2008 exist in target machine? Thanks Luigi On Jan 15, 11:26=C2=A0am, "luigi.corr...@gmail.com" <luigi.corr...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello Everybody > > Someone can tell me how i can check during my installation if sql > server 2008 exist in target machine? > > Thanks > > =C2=A0Luigi I think you can use Prerequisites =E2=97=A6In the Solution Explorer, right-click Properties. =E2=97=A6Click the button that reads Prerequisites... =E2=97=A6In ...

OWA authentication failure
Hello all, I have a strange scenario here. I have an account that was created over a week ago that cannot log into my FE OWA server. He can access his email from Outlook, but not OWA. He gets popped for a password 3 times and then gets the You Are Not Authorized to view this webpage error. This is an Exchange 2003 SP2 FE with an Exchange 2000 SP3 +rollup mailbox server. On the OWA box, this is the error I get when he attempts to log into OWA: Event Type: Failure Audit Event Source: Security Event Category: Logon/Logoff Event ID: 534 Date: 4/20/2006 Time: 8:01:06 AM User: NT AUTHORIT...

3-digit authorization code failure
This seems to happen once in a while. I swipe a CC and everything goes smoothly but then it actually does not go to Vital or merchant processor because the authorization code is only 3 digits. Vital or merchant processor cannot find the transaction and you only find it out when you don't get deposit for it. Since I have only the last 4 digits of CC, you cannot rerun it so it's a total loss. Has anyone experienced this? And is there a way to prevent it? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01CB027B.F1FFFEB0 Content-Type: text/plain; ...

Configuring Outlook to use MSN account
I have an MSN account and email address. How do I configure Outlook to use my MSN account to receive/send email I may be wrong but I think you configure the account as an HTTP mail account. "GKW in GA" <GKWinGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24240C12-A267-4D50-9573-B2EACFF134C6@microsoft.com... >I have an MSN account and email address. How do I configure Outlook to use >my > MSN account to receive/send email You will need to find out from MSN what the POP3 and SMTP server names are and what the proper procedure is for setting them up in Out...

SetSelectionCharFormat specific failure....
Hi, [SUMMARY] SetSelectionCharFormat() fails only when I pass off HANDLE to rich edit to other class, for later for format text, same code works perfectly when used from within same dialog class, in which this rich edit is placed. ENV:" VS Studio 2003, Rich Edit 2.1 in MFC [DETAILS] SetSelectionCharFormat() fails in my case, when I pass off handle to dialog's rich edit control to my other utility class, who is supposed to format the new piece of text after adding to this rich edit control. Text gets added, but this formatting does not work. Surprisingly, same text addon formatti...

CRM Configuration wizard.
I have just installed CRM for the first time, When asked to by the configuration wizard to 'Select your Microsoft CRM Server' I leave the default address in and hit next, this task never finishes it keeps on trying to configure the server forever. I am sure that I am logged on as a user with the Microsoft CRM System Administrator role. It's probably something really basic I am doing wrong, your help would be appreciated. The CRM Diagnostics wizard returns no error or warnings. ...