having problems getting device capabilities from a network printer

Hi all;
Let me set up my problem:
I have a piece of legacy VC 6 code that prints a bitmap based on visible
images. i am printing to a network printer from a desktop. when i print the
bitmap does not show. however when i print from any of the laptops that my
company has it prints correctly. I'm using the same set of images and
printing to the same printer in all cases.
I have walked the code and discovered that on the desktop everything breaks
down when i do the following set of calls:

       int prtPPIx = prtDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSX);
       int prtPPIy = prtDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSY);
       int memPPIx = memDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSX);
       int memPPIy = memDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSY);

each of these calls generates a a system error 183 (ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS)
retrieved by GetLastError().
This does not happen on any of the laptops, the GetDeviceCaps() returns
without any errors even though the same network printer is used.
Why would this happen?

shawn

0
shawn1 (154)
3/18/2008 1:19:02 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Did you write

int prtPplx = prtDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSX);
DWORD err = ::GetLastError();

If so, whatever error you are getting is completely irrelevant.  Note that
::GetLastError() is generally NOT defined unless the previous API has FAILED.  So unless
you have detected that the API has failed, it is completely meaningless to call
::GetLastError; the error value returned has no relevance to the API just issued.

What I'm surprised at is that you did not actually show the code you used.  How are we
supposed to answer a question unless you show the ACTUAL CODE USED? At no point in the
code below do I see an instance of ::GetLastError being called.

Perhaps there is a serious problem with network printers, but without you showing us your
ACTUAL CODE USED, we cannot possibly guess at what you are doing!
					joe

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:19:02 -0700, Shawn <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all;
>Let me set up my problem:
>I have a piece of legacy VC 6 code that prints a bitmap based on visible
>images. i am printing to a network printer from a desktop. when i print the
>bitmap does not show. however when i print from any of the laptops that my
>company has it prints correctly. I'm using the same set of images and
>printing to the same printer in all cases.
>I have walked the code and discovered that on the desktop everything breaks
>down when i do the following set of calls:
>
>       int prtPPIx = prtDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSX);
>       int prtPPIy = prtDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSY);
>       int memPPIx = memDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSX);
>       int memPPIy = memDC.GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSY);
>
>each of these calls generates a a system error 183 (ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS)
>retrieved by GetLastError().
>This does not happen on any of the laptops, the GetDeviceCaps() returns
>without any errors even though the same network printer is used.
>Why would this happen?
>
>shawn
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Offline folder problems #2

OLK 2k7

outlook 2k2 problem

Getting the BCC field by default.

Mother of a sumproduct (ish) problem!

Hyperlink problem #3

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Spam is a big big problem
Spam is a big big problem ...

Problem with Database Wizard

Getting rid of selection

Workplace Queues

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

TABSTOP problem
I have a dialog where in depending on the selection from a combo box, the controls below are going to be different. For doing this I have put a static control in the place where I am going to show different controls. I have created different dialog templates for each option. Consider the case of particular option, say "MySQL". Corresponding to this option, there is a dialog in resource, the style of which is child and no border. I have added a class for this dialog called CMySQLDialog. Inside CMySQLDialog there is a function called CreateFromStatic which takes parent and ID as parame...

Get info from Fidelity
I use money's portfolio manager to retrieve info from my Fidelity accounts. However, it only retrieve stock and bond informations. It did not retrieve the money market fund information. How can I make it download money market fund info? In microsoft.public.money, Peter Tso wrote: >I use money's portfolio manager to retrieve info from my >Fidelity accounts. However, it only retrieve stock and >bond informations. It did not retrieve the money market >fund information. How can I make it download money market >fund info? Fidelity does things a differently th...