GetItemRect() not consistent with display after updating iIntegral #2

Sorry about the repost.

I am trying to set the height of a CTreeCtrl item using the
iIntegral property of TVITEMEX and SetItem.

This is within the context of a splitter window with a left and a
right pane.  The left pane contains the tree and the right pane
displays graphical elements which are vertically aligned with
corresponding tree items.

When iIntegral is set, the tree redisplays as expected, however
the results from GetItemRect() do not change.  As a result,
the graphical elements in the right pane are not correctly
vertically aligned. The only thing that seems to update
GetItemRect() results is the expansion or reduction of a node
with children.  (And more specifically, this results in the
correction of any nodes below the node being expanded
or reduced.)

The environment is:
o Windows XP Professional
o Visual Studio 2005 with SP1

1. Is there anything obvious I might have done wrong; or
2. Is there a specific way to make GetClientRect() match
   the display after updating iIntegral?

If necessary I have a small MFC project to demonstrate the
problem.

Regards,
Daniel.

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Daniel,
I understand that you found that GetItemRect() did not change after you
changed iIntegral for your CTreeCtrl item.
If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

I wrote a simple test program and it worked fine at my side:
/* Create a tree in OnInitDialog */
	TVINSERTSTRUCT tvInsert;
	tvInsert.hParent = NULL;
	tvInsert.hInsertAfter = NULL;
	tvInsert.item.mask = TVIF_TEXT;
	tvInsert.item.pszText = _T("United States");

	HTREEITEM hCountry = m_tree.InsertItem(&tvInsert);

	HTREEITEM hPA = m_tree.InsertItem(TVIF_TEXT,
	   _T("Pennsylvania"), 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, hCountry, NULL);

	HTREEITEM hWA = m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Washington"),
	   0, 0, hCountry, hPA);

	m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Pittsburgh"), hPA, TVI_SORT);
	m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Harrisburg"), hPA, TVI_SORT);
	m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Altoona"), hPA, TVI_SORT);

	m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Seattle"), hWA, TVI_SORT);
	m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Kalaloch"), hWA, TVI_SORT);
	m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Yakima"), hWA, TVI_SORT);

/* Test the effect after set iIntegral to 4 in a button click event OnOK */
	TVITEMEX tvx;
	memset(&tvx, 0, sizeof(tvx));
	HTREEITEM hROOT = m_tree.GetRootItem();

	CRect rc1,rc2;
	CString strRc1,strRc2;
	m_tree.GetItemRect(hROOT,&rc1,TRUE);
	strRc1.Format(_T("%d,%d,%d,%d"),rc1.left,rc1.top,rc1.right,rc1.bottom);
	tvx.hItem=hROOT;
	tvx.iIntegral = 4;
	tvx.mask = TVIF_INTEGRAL;

	m_tree.SetItem((TVITEMW*)&tvx);

	m_tree.GetItemRect(hROOT,&rc2,TRUE);
	strRc2.Format(_T("%s :
%d,%d,%d,%d"),strRc1.GetBuffer(0),rc2.left,rc2.top,rc2.right,rc2.bottom);

	MessageBox(strRc2.GetBuffer(0));

The output message in the message box was "3,0,75,16 : 3,0,75,64". When I
select the root node, apparently I found that the height of its region had
expanded four times of the original height.
I am not sure if I totally understood your question. If there is anything
misunderstood, please feel free to point out. I also appreciate if you
could send me (changliw_at_microsoft_dot_com) a sample project so that I
can reproduce your issue.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.
Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
from this issue.

changliw (164)
11/1/2007 9:12:49 AM
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the code - I can now offer you (I hope) a clearer explanation
of the problem.

The issue arises when iIntegral is changed across a number of items
in the tree.  To demonstrate this, I've modified your code (see below)
so that clicking OK changes iIntegral for every HTREEITEM.

The result is a tree that displays as expected.  However, the starting
Y position returned by each GetItemRect is not upated to reflect the
fact that the item above it has been moved down.  So, when
GetItemHeight() is 16 and iIntegral is set to 2, I would expect the
progression of Y starting points after update to be 0, 32, 64, 96, 128,
etc.  Instead, they are 0, 16, 32, 48, 64, etc.  Furthermore, the
heights are as expected, resulting in overlapping boundaries.

If you hit OK again, same progression.  If the control is invalidated,
same progression.  However, if you double-click the first node to
reduce the tree and then double-click it again to expand it, the
progression is as expected.

To test:
o Build and start debugging
o Expand all nodes
o Hit OK (and again, etc.)  Logging goes to the output window.
o Reduce and expand top node

I'll mail you the MFC project I've created.

Thanks and regards,
Daniel.

Sample Output
=============

Table 1: Initial OK
-------------------
Before: (3, 0) - (75, 16)
After:  (3, 0) - (75, 32)
Before: (22, 16) - (92, 32)
After:  (22, 16) - (92, 48)
Before: (22, 80) - (86, 96)
After:  (22, 80) - (86, 112)
Before: (41, 32) - (85, 48)
After:  (41, 32) - (85, 64)
Before: (41, 48) - (98, 64)
After:  (41, 48) - (98, 80)
Before: (41, 64) - (97, 80)
After:  (41, 64) - (97, 96)
Before: (41, 96) - (87, 112)
After:  (41, 96) - (87, 128)
Before: (41, 112) - (82, 128)
After:  (41, 112) - (82, 144)
Before: (41, 128) - (81, 144)
After:  (41, 128) - (81, 160)
Updated 9 nodes
Tree Item Height = 16

Table 2: Second OK / After Invalidate
-------------------------------------
Before: (3, 0) - (75, 32)
After:  (3, 0) - (75, 32)
Before: (22, 16) - (92, 48)
After:  (22, 16) - (92, 48)
Before: (22, 80) - (86, 112)
After:  (22, 80) - (86, 112)
Before: (41, 32) - (85, 64)
After:  (41, 32) - (85, 64)
Before: (41, 48) - (98, 80)
After:  (41, 48) - (98, 80)
Before: (41, 64) - (97, 96)
After:  (41, 64) - (97, 96)
Before: (41, 96) - (87, 128)
After:  (41, 96) - (87, 128)
Before: (41, 112) - (82, 144)
After:  (41, 112) - (82, 144)
Before: (41, 128) - (81, 160)
After:  (41, 128) - (81, 160)

Table 3: After reducing then expanding tree
Before: (3, 0) - (75, 32)
After:  (3, 0) - (75, 32)
Before: (22, 32) - (92, 64)
After:  (22, 32) - (92, 64)
Before: (22, 160) - (86, 192)
After:  (22, 160) - (86, 192)
Before: (41, 64) - (85, 96)
After:  (41, 64) - (85, 96)
Before: (41, 96) - (98, 128)
After:  (41, 96) - (98, 128)
Before: (41, 128) - (97, 160)
After:  (41, 128) - (97, 160)
Before: (41, 192) - (87, 224)
After:  (41, 192) - (87, 224)
Before: (41, 224) - (82, 256)
After:  (41, 224) - (82, 256)
Before: (41, 256) - (81, 288)
After:  (41, 256) - (81, 288)

Code (No change to OnInitDialog)
================================

void TreeDialog::OnBnClickedOk()
{
  SetIntegralSizes(2);

  SHORT sHeight = m_tree.GetItemHeight();
  TRACE("Tree Item Height = %hd\n", sHeight);
}

// Traverse tree, setting iIntegral for each HTREEITEM
void TreeDialog::SetIntegralSizes(int i)
{
  CList<HTREEITEM> lItem;

  // Get root HTREEITEM and add into list
  HTREEITEM ht = m_tree.GetRootItem();
  lItem.AddTail(ht);

  // Add siblings of first HTREEITEM into list
  while (NULL != (ht = m_tree.GetNextSiblingItem(ht)))
  {
    lItem.AddTail(ht);
  }

  // Process all nodes in list.  While processing a node,
  // add its children to the tail of the list
  int	count	= 0;
  while (!lItem.IsEmpty())
  {
    HTREEITEM processNode = lItem.RemoveHead();
    HTREEITEM next;

    // Add children of current HTREEITEM to processing list
    next = m_tree.GetChildItem(processNode);
    if (next)
    {
      lItem.AddTail(next);
      while (NULL != (next = m_tree.GetNextSiblingItem(next)))
      {
        lItem.AddTail(next);
      }
    }

    // Set iIntegral of current HTREEITEM
    SetIntegral(processNode, i);
    count++;
  }

  TRACE("Updated %d nodes\n", count);
}

void TreeDialog::SetIntegral(HTREEITEM ht, int i)
{
  RECT r1, r2;

  // Print rectangle before update
  m_tree.GetItemRect(ht, &r1, TRUE);
  TRACE("Before: (%d, %d) - (%d, %d)\n", r1.left, r1.top,
        r1.right, r1.bottom);

  // Set iIntegral
  TVITEMEX	tvItemEx;
  memset(&tvItemEx, 0, sizeof(tvItemEx));
  tvItemEx.mask     = TVIF_INTEGRAL;
  tvItemEx.hItem    = ht;
  tvItemEx.iIntegral = i;

  m_tree.SetItem((TVITEMW *)&tvItemEx);

  // Print rectangle after update
  m_tree.GetItemRect(ht, &r2, TRUE);
  TRACE("After:  (%d, %d) - (%d, %d)\n", r2.left, r2.top,
        r2.right, r2.bottom);

  return;
}

Hi,
Thanks for your changing the code so that I can reproduce your issue at my
side. I am performing research on it now and will get back to you as soon
as possible. I appreciate your patience.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
from this issue.

changliw (164)
11/2/2007 9:48:31 AM
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your email response.

I find the culprit here. After iIntegral was set, the member function
SetRedraw(TRUE) should be called to cause the tree repainted when the
member function Invalidate was called.

After I added the function to your member function
LeftPane::SetIntegralSizes, it worked fine:
void LeftPane::SetIntegralSizes(int i)
{
	//add the code here
	GetTreeCtrl().SetRedraw(TRUE);

	TRACE("Updated %d nodes\n", count);
}

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel
free to let me know.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
from this issue.

changliw (164)
11/5/2007 9:02:07 AM
Hi Charles,

This fixed the problem.  Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
Daniel.

"Charles Wang[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
> Thanks for your email response.
>
> I find the culprit here. After iIntegral was set, the member function
> SetRedraw(TRUE) should be called to cause the tree repainted when the
> member function Invalidate was called.
>
> After I added the function to your member function
> LeftPane::SetIntegralSizes, it worked fine:
> void LeftPane::SetIntegralSizes(int i)
> {
> 	//add the code here
> 	GetTreeCtrl().SetRedraw(TRUE);
>
> 	TRACE("Updated %d nodes\n", count);
> }
>
> Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel
> free to let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Charles Wang
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from this issue.

Hi Daniel,

Appreciate your update and response. I am glad to hear that the problem has
been fixed. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
from this issue.

changliw (164)

Updated SQL
I had CRM 3.0 running on a SBS 2k3 SP1 server, SQL 2K w/SP4. I updated the SQL 2k to SBS 2k3 r2's SQL 2k5. CRM disappeared. The database is in a folder but I can's seem to get it into SQL 2k5. Obvously I'm not a big SQL guy. Ideas? You will need to attach the database files to your new instance of SQL Server. Check out this white paper, it might give you some pointers. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=709f9cc7-8d53-45e8-b853-1f9e733f9774&displaylang=en -- Rgds Michael MCDBA 2000 | MCITP DBA 2005 http://www.mscrmschool.co.uk "Wings&quo...

Auto Updater #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel When I attempt to install the MS auto updater 2.1.1, I get a message that states my connection to the update server was interrupted, the server was too busy or there was a problem connecting with my network. Has anyone had this issue and how do I resolve this. On 4/6/09 3:07 PM, "dylan204@officeformac.com" <dylan204@officeformac.com> wrote: > When I attempt to install the MS auto updater 2.1.1, I get a message that > states my connection to the update server was interrupted, the server was > too...

How to display dynamic range
Sometimes I have to troubleshoot a formula that uses dynamic ranges. Here is an example formula: =CORREL(OFFSET(Sheet3!$A$1,1,MATCH(C$1,Sheet3!$1:$1,0)-1,$A$1),(OFFSET(Sheet3!$A$1,1,MATCH($A241,Sheet3!$1:$1,0)-1,$A$1))). Is there a way to determine the exact cells addresses that the correl function will operate on? For example, the Formula Palette for the OFFSET function above may say: Ref=0, row=102, col=214, height =144. Is there a way to determine the exact cell address range this represents? Thanks. I'd create a named range for each of them. Then I could just type in the ...

UPC Equation #2
Okay so far i have figured out the sticky part of the equation. Steps 1-6..no problem. This is what i fgured out. Step One: Suppose you want to find the Check Digit for the UCC-12 (U.P.C.) Number 61414121022. Set up a table with 12 columns, and put the number 61414121022 into Positions One through Eleven. Position Twelve will be blank because it is reserved for the Check Digit. Step Two: Add the numbers in Positions One, Three, Five, Seven, Nine, and Eleven: Step Three: Multiply the result of Step Two by three: Step Four: Add the numbers in Positions Two, Four, Six, Eight, and Ten: Step...

workbook duplication #2
how do I duplicate a workbook with formulas so that it can be used for a different application, with the same formulas? i have saved and reentered data, however it keeps linking back to the original and data gets changed automatically. i have clicked on do not update. thanks, bruce Look at Edit/Links. Change the source for the new workbook as appropriate. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:07:04 -0700, becamp <becamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do I duplicate a workbook with formulas so that it can be used for a >different application, with the same formulas? >i have saved ...

Applying Numbers to tickets, 2 sides. Is there a way to do it
I belong to a non-profit club which from time to time I make some raffle tickets (2 parts) Is it possible with publisher to number both sides of the tickets. The sheet prints roughtly 8 a page, and what I would lik eis the first ticket to print 001 on one side of the split ticket, and 001 on the other side. then number the 2nd one 002 and so on and so forth in numerical order till it is done? Thanks Bruce If the ticket number is on the front, you can insert the field twice, once on the left and the same on the right. If you plan to insert the number on the back you will need to s...

2 User Forms Comunicating?
Hi all, I had the intention to create a VBA program/script that: Step1. Calls a "FindAll" dialog (user can view and make the best choice out of the founded elements) Step2. When user closes the "FindAll" dialog, my UserForm1 should show up and run different Sub() using the last value that "FindAll" dialog selected. My problem is that I can't use the "FindAll" dialog because the focus is on the UserForm1 because it showed up lately. UNFORTUNATELY I CAN'T USE OTHER "FIND" DIALOG. IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME I WOULD APPRECIA...

Subcategories #2
I just upgraded to Money 2005 and find a useful feature is missing. I have been using Money for the last 7 years and enjoyed using a category and subcategory for my expenses. Now these two items are combined in one dropdown box and very hard to use. I used to use a category then tab to the subcategory and pick an item. Now when I pick a category the subcategories are not visible unless I use the mouse to scroll through. All previous versions gave an option of using one box or two but in the latest version I can't find how to get the two boxes back. Any ideas? Thanks. It's be...

Email Issue #2
I'm having an issue that I can't seem to get to the bottom of. I can send email without an issue except for when I'm emailing two doamins in practicular. Our setup is such that mail sent via exchange is sent our antispam/antivirus server using a smarthost and that server sends it out. According to the logs a reverse dns lookup fails as the reason the mail is being rejected. From some reserch this could happen if there is no pTR record created in our DNS which in our case is hosted by our ISP. Would tyou concurr that his would be a probelm. Some administrators have conf...

Update CRM From Rollup 2 to Rollup 3
Hi!.. I want to update MS CRM from rollup 2 to rollup 3. ¿What I need to update first, The server or the outlook clients? If the server is first updated, ¿Will the outlook clients (with rollup 2) still works with a rollup 3 CRM server?...This is because updating 50 clients may take a week and I want to know if the users will have problems untill we complete the update task. Thanks for your help... Daniel. ...

Junk Mail Folder #2
I am not sure if I should ask in Outlook or Exchange group, so I will ask in both. We have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server, IMF is NOT installed. Our clients use Outlook 2003. I tried disabling Junk Mail folder using a GPO. Outlook displays the red X indicating it is indeed disabled. Problem: Mail still goes into the junk mail folder. How do I stop this. I already took out the GPO that disabled it and tried setting it at the client level, but that doesn't change the behavior. I looked everywhere for a reason for this, but absolutely no articles discussing the problem. ...

Outlook 2003 crash on startup in WinXP #2
My outlook has suddenly started crashing due on startup. It was working fine till a couple of days back. I haven't installed anything related to outlook except the normal update from Microsoft. I am using Outlook 2003 on XP. I tried the various solutions I could google in for but of no help. Here is the list of things(found in some post) I have already tried without any luck - Reinstall Outlook - Create a New Profile - Tried running outlook in Safe Mode (the safe mode is also crashing the same way as normal startup) - Remove outcmd.dat - Ran pstscan.exe on all my pst files. The Outlook...

autoreply #2
Goodmorning, We are using Outlook2003 with Exchange server 5.5. Is it possible to make a rule with ''have server reply using a specific message '' with the original message? I want when: a message arrives to send a reply, always, but WITH the original message, otherwise people don't know on which message this reply is send. Thanks. John No. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "John Knijn" <john.knijn@p...

Update Form with Command Button
I have a report which is created using criteria entered into a form. There is already a button on the form which opens the report. If someone does not tab out of a particular box then sometimes the the control isn't updated and the report doesn't get the proper criteria. I can use the button to update all of the individual controls before creating the form, but can I use the button to update the entire form instead? RMires, Just do a... Refresh DoCmd.OpenReport... etc... -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP 2006-2009 http://ho...

2 insurance Health Insurance Quote Health Insurance Coverage
Everything on Health Insurance! Much information and services! Compare affordable health insurance plans side-by-side online. Free instant quotes. Choose, apply and buy online. Compare 4000 plans Great rates, full coverage Insurance to fit your life. A group of health insurance companies have launched a Web site where small-business owners can learn more about health savings accounts. They may not be living, breathing things (although at times they seem to have minds and wills of their own), yet our cars are similar to our bodies in the sense that we can maintain, and som...

Non-Automatic Link Updating in Excel 2003
I wrote a large system of about 30 Excel workbooks that are all linked together in various ways. I've been using this sytem for several years under Excel 2000. I just got Excel 3000 (XP), and to my disbelief, every time I open a workbook, I have to digress and answer questions about the link updating. If I go into Edit->Links I see the usual (with some new features) links window. I checked the box that says to do the updating automatically. I selected the option that says to always update the links and DO NOT present me with a popup message asking me if I want to. These two ite...

two contact folders #2
In my outlook 2003, I maintained two contact folders. One of them is my personal one, the other is a shared one residing in a public folder (Exchange). What I would like to attain is that whenever I create a contact in my personal contact folder, this gets automatically created or copied also in the other shared contact folder. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that? Thanks in advance, Gianluca Bosco De�r Gianluca, this is not possible by default. Maybe a 3rd party synchronization software can support this: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Oliver Vukovics Shar...

Nested ifs #2
Hi group Can anyone help - I need to show Pass / Fail column if test results in two columns meet two seperate criteria... Column A needs to have a result between -3.0 and +5.0% Column C needs to have a result between 95 and 105% The third column needs to show "PASS" if both conditions are met, otherwise "FAIL" I've tried to nest the ifs, but am getting the syntax wrong somewhere... Thanks - Marcie Hi try =IF(AND(A1>=-3,A1<=5,C1>=0.95,C1<=1.05),"Pass","Fail") >-----Original Message----- >Hi group >Can anyone help - I need to...

W-2 correction form
We need to correct a few W-2's that have already been sent out. We noticed the W-2 C forms have a different format and the amounts will not line up like the W-2's did. Does anyone have any suggestions? As you said, the formats are different. GP does not have any way to produce the W-2c form off the shelf. You either create a report that fits the form or complete the forms manually. Since you said it's just a few items, it would probably be a lot quicker to do it manually. -- Charles Allen, MVP "BFogle" wrote: > We need to correct a few W-2's that have...

IE updates caused problems with download
Anyone else see this ? When I logged on yesterday I got a windows notification message that " Updates are available" and I selected 5 of them and did the update. ( I marked the monthly virus one as don't bother me again -as usual.) A bit later I went to my bank to download my checking/charge card info for Money and got a popup error message ( not a simple message - a big long thing) and I couldn't download the info - I tried OFX, QFX, and CSV - same error. I removed the updates and rebooted and it then worked OK. ( At my bank I have to log onto their website - select ...

Is there a way to display a graph using a equation?
I have this equation y = 45.67 + 2.38X and would like excel to show a graph of this, can it be done? Sure. Put your lowest X value into cell A2. In cell A3, use the formula = A2 + 1 Change the 1 to the interval that you are interested in In cell B2, use the formula =45.67 + 2.38*A2 Copy B2 to B3, then copy A3:B3 down the column as far as your need, then use Insert / Chart and choose XY scatter. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "pokdbz" <pokdbz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2258E185-4F7E-4393-A390-4278F4A1DBFF@microsoft.com... >I have this equation y =...

how do I import messages from windows live to outlook 2
I have download outlook connector and its working. I have imported my contacts from windows live to outlook 2007 but cannot import the messages. How do I do this please. Windows Live is a free account. Have you tried exporting from Windows Live Mail? "Mike Cummings" <Mike Cummings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E6E6ED6-F8C3-412A-A7CD-B6F3B46A6C25@microsoft.com... > I have download outlook connector and its working. I have imported my > contacts from windows live to outlook 2007 but cannot import the messages. > How do I do this please. Windows L...

access denied #2
I've searched these threads for info to no avail. I've got a new Win XP based computer running Outlook 2002 and I'm trying to get all of my mail from my old computer (Win ME, Outlook 2000) to the new machine. I am exporting to a .pst file on my hardrive and then burning it to CDR. I have unchecked the "read only" boxes in the file properties area prior to burning... but each time I try this (4 separate times now) I get the same message. ACCESS DENIED! (as has been mentioned in other threads) WTF?????? Please Help!!!! Thanks. Have you copied it from the CDR back t...

How can I auto display email address in outlook 2003.
Dear all, I have installed outlook 2002 in my computer (Windwos XP professional). Would you please help me how can I auto display email address in outlook 2002. I know that the email address can be auto display in outlook 2002 when type more than 3 character. However, it cannot auto display email address when I type more than 3 characters. Tks & B.rgds Ping Ping The automatic display of names will not occur until you have entered enough names for Outlook to build its cache. It does not use the address book for this option. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to ...

long time to start update accounts
When money 2006 starts up, there is a period of time that it doesn't allow me to "update accounts" because it says "another operation is in progress". In addition, my computer reports 100% cpu usage during this time, usually this lasts around 45 seconds. I have checked the usual options about turning off automatic updates, sponsor links, displaying cash flow on home page. Anybody have more ideas, or is this usual? Do you have a lot of investments? Money may be updating their prices. -- Michael Gordon "Steve's News" <steveroe@swbell.net.rem...