Fast alternative to table based state transition matrix

I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
statement corresponding to states.

In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
reference.
0
Peter
5/20/2010 4:29:51 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it was
> explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer without
> a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case statements
> corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case statement
> corresponding to states.
>
> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than offset
> the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
> reference.

There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
determined through profiling.

Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.

/Leigh

0
Leigh
5/20/2010 4:46:34 PM
On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>> statement corresponding to states.
>>
>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>> of reference.
>
> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
> determined through profiling.
>
> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>
> /Leigh

Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not
even be aware of.

If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.

0
Peter
5/20/2010 5:03:48 PM

> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>
>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>>> of reference.
>>
>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>> determined through profiling.
>>
>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>
>> /Leigh
>
> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not
> even be aware of.
>
> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.

Spamming newsgroups with off-topic posts is more rude then somebody telling
said spammer to cease and desist.  How many more threads are you going to
create on this off-topic subject?  You must have created six so far.  None
of them relate directly to the C++ programming language.

/Leigh

0
Leigh
5/20/2010 5:10:30 PM
In other words, you got an AH-HA in Computer Science 101?  One would
thing that for a guy with an IQ of a Doctor (I say CockerRoach) you
wouldn't have to ask these silly questions.

BTW, once again, you went to another forum and told a lie:

    "I was wondering if there is a generally faster way to
     implement a DFA recognizer than by using a state transition
     matrix.

     I already asked this question on several other groups and
     never received any definitive answer."

You were told by my count 3-4 people  here the same exact answer you
got over there.  The difference and this is the bottom line with you,
the fellow over there PROVIDED you with an example simple CS 101 piece
of code.

The thing is, you are probably biting your lip because he only provide
1/2 code example,  You have to figure out the rest - and that will
take you another 11 years!

--
HLS
Peter Olcott wrote:
> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
> statement corresponding to states.
>
> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
> reference.
0
Hector
5/20/2010 5:10:37 PM
Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
out.
			joe

On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:29:51 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>statement corresponding to states.
>
>In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
>reference.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
5/20/2010 5:14:32 PM
There is nothing rude about stating that there is nearly always more than one way to
achieve something, or suggesting a google search string.

Could you point out PRECISELY where this person was "rude"?

My career prospects never suffered from my being outspoken.  On the contrary, I have been
very successful.
			joe

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:03:48 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>
>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>>> of reference.
>>
>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>> determined through profiling.
>>
>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>
>> /Leigh
>
>Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not
>even be aware of.
>
>If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
5/20/2010 5:16:37 PM
On 5/20/2010 12:10 PM, Leigh Johnston wrote:

> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message

>>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>>> determined through profiling.
>>>
>>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>>
>>> /Leigh
>>
>> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may
>> not even be aware of.
>>
>> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my
>> posts.
>>

> Spamming newsgroups with off-topic posts is more rude then somebody
> telling said spammer to cease and desist. How many more threads are you
> going to create on this off-topic subject? You must have created six so
> far. None of them relate directly to the C++ programming language.
>
> /Leigh

I posted this thread to cut to the chase of the other thread to reduce
the amount of discussion on the other thread. The other thread was
endlessly debating this point, now this thread provides the end to that
endless debate. There is no need to repond to this thread.
0
Peter
5/20/2010 5:18:14 PM
On 5/20/2010 12:16 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> There is nothing rude about stating that there is nearly always more than one way to
> achieve something, or suggesting a google search string.
>
> Could you point out PRECISELY where this person was "rude"?

This
 >>>and then go away.

> My career prospects never suffered from my being outspoken.  On the contrary, I have been
> very successful.
> 			joe
>
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:03:48 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote in message

>>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>>> determined through profiling.
>>>
>>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>>
>>> /Leigh
>>
>> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not
>> even be aware of.
>>
>> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Peter
5/20/2010 5:19:47 PM
> On 5/20/2010 12:10 PM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>

>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message

>>> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may
>>> not even be aware of.
>>>
>>> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my
>>> posts.
>>>

>> Spamming newsgroups with off-topic posts is more rude then somebody
>> telling said spammer to cease and desist. How many more threads are you
>> going to create on this off-topic subject? You must have created six so
>> far. None of them relate directly to the C++ programming language.
>>
>> /Leigh
>
> I posted this thread to cut to the chase of the other thread to reduce the
> amount of discussion on the other thread. The other thread was endlessly
> debating this point, now this thread provides the end to that endless
> debate. There is no need to repond to this thread.

So this thread was intended to simply be you stamping your foot? :)  Really
I think you should spend less time ruminating here and spend more time
implementing and profiling stuff.  You have caused me to waste time here
also.

/Leigh

0
Leigh
5/20/2010 5:26:54 PM
And so did a few others repeated the obvious in the comp.lang.c++ group.

The difference?

No one provided example CODE like the dude over in the comp.theory
which peter sadly said he got no answers here and comp.lang.c++.

Problem for Peter?

The dude only provided 1/2 code. Its eating Peter alive he has to
figure out the other half! <g>

That what will take him to another sorry thread in some other sorry group:

     Hi, I have a new technology that is guaranteed to be the
     fastest thing since roach racing.

     But I only got 1/2 a C/C++ solution by this other guy
     in another group. Why can't people be 100% complete
     like I am when they are helping me?  Can you give me
     the 2nd half of this code provided to me?

     Bonus: 30% stock in my invention for anyone who helps.
     When it is completed in 2024, you will be a BILLIONAIRE!

--
HLS

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
> out.
> 			joe
>
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:29:51 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>
>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>> statement corresponding to states.
>>
>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
>> reference.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Hector
5/20/2010 5:28:52 PM
On 5/20/2010 12:26 PM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> On 5/20/2010 12:10 PM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>
>> I posted this thread to cut to the chase of the other thread to reduce
>> the amount of discussion on the other thread. The other thread was
>> endlessly debating this point, now this thread provides the end to
>> that endless debate. There is no need to repond to this thread.
>
> So this thread was intended to simply be you stamping your foot? :)
> Really I think you should spend less time ruminating here and spend more
> time implementing and profiling stuff. You have caused me to waste time
> here also.
>
> /Leigh

You are definitely right on this. I do enjoy talking here though, and
several people have provided excellent advice, including you. I do still
focus too much on optimization. This has the disadvantage of making
development cost more. I am getting better and better at ignoring moot
optimizations.

There are advantages to focusing on optimization at the design stage.
The system is fundamentally designed to be fast, and no redesign is ever
needed to improve speed. I do still err too much on the side of
optimization.
0
Peter
5/20/2010 5:39:10 PM
On 5/20/2010 12:14 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
> out.
> 			joe

You only mentioned a case statement not a set of case statements nested
within a case statement. Since I was already using a case statement in
my own table driven code it was not immediately obvious what you were
referring to because you failed to provide this extra missing detail.

I would guess that this case within case design would tend to be
somewhat slower, but, it is too close to call without direct measurement.

> On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:29:51 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote:
>
>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>> statement corresponding to states.
>>
>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
>> reference.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Peter
5/20/2010 5:43:09 PM
On May 20, 1:43 pm, Peter Olcott <NoS...@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 12:14 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
> > Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
> > out.
> >                    joe
>
> You only mentioned a case statement not a set of case statements nested
> within a case statement. Since I was already using a case statement in
> my own table driven code it was not immediately obvious what you were
> referring to because you failed to provide this extra missing detail.

No he didn't.  You failed to have the LOGIC, COMPETENCE, IQ, and
IMAGINATION that nested and/or recursive based state transitions logic
are par for the course. Even CockRoachers understand that.  There is
no need explain anything to you, just like I told you in one line:

      And your uinderstanding is WRONG!

in regards to your moronic statement about C/C++ limited to ASCII.
One line is all that was needed.  Lets see,  it looked like it took
20+ mail tag messages before you realized how pathetic and wrong you
were - AGAIN.

Peter, didn't you say were a computer science major? Top 10 or 15 in
your class?  Or is that yet another fib?  What school did you attend
and what year did you graduate?
0
Hector
5/20/2010 7:08:26 PM
This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996.
To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet
software that supports modern Internet standards.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-11280-1274393194-0005

Peter Olcott writes:

> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>
>> /Leigh
>
> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not
> even be aware of.

So is holier-than-though snobbishness.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-11280-1274393194-0005

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-11280-1274393194-0005--
0
Sam
5/20/2010 10:06:35 PM
Duh!  The usual way to write this is

#define MAKESTATE(state, ch) MAKELONG(state, _T(ch))
typedef enum {S0, ...} states;

states state = S0;

while(*p != _T('\0'))
   {
    swtich(MAKESTATE(state, *p)
        {
         case MAKESTATE(S0, '0'):
         case MAKESTATE(S0, '1'):
          case MAKESTATE(S0, '9'):
               state = STATE_NUMBER;
               p++;
               continue;
           case MAKESTATE(S0, '(')
	state = STATE_OPEN_PAREN;
	p++;
                continue;

THis is first-semester intro-to-C stuff.
				joe

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:43:09 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/20/2010 12:14 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
>> out.
>> 			joe
>
>You only mentioned a case statement not a set of case statements nested
>within a case statement. Since I was already using a case statement in
>my own table driven code it was not immediately obvious what you were
>referring to because you failed to provide this extra missing detail.
>
>I would guess that this case within case design would tend to be
>somewhat slower, but, it is too close to call without direct measurement.
>

>> On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:29:51 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>
>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
>>> reference.
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
5/20/2010 11:55:23 PM
That was not rude, that was what we call "wishful thinking".
					joe

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:19:47 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/20/2010 12:16 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> There is nothing rude about stating that there is nearly always more than one way to
>> achieve something, or suggesting a google search string.
>>
>> Could you point out PRECISELY where this person was "rude"?
>>

>This
>
>> My career prospects never suffered from my being outspoken.  On the contrary, I have been
>> very successful.
>> 			joe

>>> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not
>>> even be aware of.
>>>
>>> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph

Whats the best web based store for integrating with RMS?
Hi, in the past monts I opened a topic about RMS integration with yahoo stores... and i found that fully integration is not a reality at this moment. What other web based stores can be integrated easily or fully or at least well integrated with RMS? (im planning to purchase the QH for RMS too) Thanks Hello Aldo! We have quite a few carts that will work with Microsoft RMS. Our Web Integrator: Professional is quite robust with its feature set, and affordably priced. http://www.newestech.com/POS/RMS/eCommerce/Professional.htm http://www.newestech.com/POS/RMS/eCommerce/Web%20Integrator...

Alternative for user instance login flag ?
I have SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition only installed on development PC, have 2008 Standard Edition on the production server. The DBAs have the production environemnt locked-down. I created a VS.NET 2008 web application and setup a MDF to use my Dev Edition DB instance. When I run the app, I try to connect and get " The user instance login flag is not supported on this version of SQL Server. The connection will be closed. " I understand that only SqlExpress supports this functionality. The professional DBAs are not going to let me just install another instance o...

How to create web-based reports from RMS database.
The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail store. I need sell the through rate, average sale, sales/sf, return rate, discount analysis, all broken down by date, week, month, year, category, supplier, and then compare against last year's numbers. I want to create my own web-based reports accessing RMS's SQL database. Does anyone have a template of data access web page so all I have to do is change the SQL statement in getting to the right database table? mas wrote: > The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail > ...

Pivot Table
I've this problem, when I drag the fields into the "Data" area, it will show as "Count of Q1 Results". But what I actually want is "Sum of Q1 Results". I would have to manually go to field setting and reconfigure from count to sum. It happens for all the fields I drag into the "Data" area. Is there any way around this? Thanks. If there are blank cells, or cells with text, in the column, Excel will default to the Count function when the field is added to the data area. If the column contains only numbers, it should default to Sum. Derrick wr...

How to paste a cells row from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row?
Hello! How to paste a row of cells from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row? PowerPoint 2003 pastes all the row cells values in every cell in the row in the PowerPoint table if I select the row in the PP table before the pasting. PP pastes the row as an overlapping column if I place cursor in the first cell of the target row before pasting. Best regards, Dima +7 9163876746 +7 9035093892 ...

NNTP/web-based access (still) horked
[Posting via clunky web-based access at ~12:15 PM PST/20:15 UTC, 10 Jan-10] Right now, web-based access to this newsgroup is not showing any new posts since 12:45 AM PST/08:45 UTC, 09 Jan-10...though AFAIK most posts since then are showing up via NNTP. This has been going on since March 2009, guys. Pull your finger out of it & get it fixed, OK? PS: Happy New Year, Little StevieS! Time to earn that raise, bucko. -- ~PA Bear... Ahh, if only this sort of thing could happen permanently to techarena, eggheadcafe, vistaheads, etc... "PA Bear [MS-MVP]" <PABea...

Create Pivot Table Reports
I just finished installing Analysis Cube on the server, everything seemed working fine until when I try to create the Pivot Table Report (Tools->Analysis Cubes->Create Pivot Table Reprots). After I called up the pre-defined 'Definition ID' and click on the Excel icon, a message popped up saying " The WHTemplate.XLT file was not found." Anybody have any idea what that is, and how to resolve it?? Thanks. 1.) There are two pieces of software. Did you install both the server piece, and the client piece? 2.) Is Excel installed on the machine, on which you'r...

I would like to export the data from a drop-down list to a table
I have a form with several drop-down lists, I need to have the information in these lists in another document/spread sheet. Is there an easy way to copy the data in these lists to another location? The long way would be to re-type all of it. ...

Importing a table from Access query
What is the quickest and easiest way to do the above? Thanks in advance. Hi The way I usually do this is run the select query, click on the top-right box (which selects all records) and use Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste into my workbook. An alternative is to right-click on the query in the Database Window and left-click on Export. In the Save As dialog box, select ..xls type. -- Andy. "Trish" <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BF3DE22-6590-4CAD-9EE1-FC978A3BB63B@microsoft.com... > What is the quickest and easiest way to do the above? >...

dialog based app & command line
Hello, I'm trying to launch my application with command line arguments, but I received an error, without any identification number of it. The MessageBox tolds me: "Runtime error" "the path to my exe file" "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact...". Have somebody a ideea where is the problem? Thank you a lot in advance, Alex PS: When I debbutg the appllication with command line args. from project properties the app. starts very well Try setting the start command line options fro...

Write conflict error with ODBC link table
Hi, I have migrate my back end access tables to SQL Server. While editing data (ODBC link) from form, I receive Wirte conflict error 'The record has been changed by other user... Copying the change to the clipboard...'. The error allow me either copy the info to clipboard or drop change. In this case, how can I save my work to the table here? SF � "SF" <xyz@online.com.kh> ������ ��� ������ news:#F7F7OtcIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have migrate my back end access tables to SQL Server. While editing data > (ODBC link) from form, I...

matrix in access
Hi all, is there an option to build matrix in access? hi, thread wrote: > is there an option to build matrix in access? Yes, but you have no matrix operators. Each table can be threated as a matrix equivalent. In VBA you can use multi-dimensional arrays. btw, what do you like to do? mfG --> stefan <-- the metrix is going is follow: you have countries as vertical and i have names as horizontal,the issue is that i want to have an option to load it from excel to access as is but still to be able to use it in the relations between other tables any code samples? Stefan Hoffmann =...

Logical Filtering based on Value
I've been using this formula to sort some values and return results if( or( and( b9<>"", isnumber( find( Left(b9,1 ,"AWFUY") ) ), isnumber( find("SHORT",g9 ) ), sum( countif(c9,{"BOG","BLM","CMO"}) ) ) ) ) ,i9-0.01,j9 ) --I used ALT-ENTER between each formula so as to see thing clearly Column A values can be "B01" Column B values can be "BRN" Columns I & J are values, one being lowest the other being highest allowed. On another sheet I...

Value based Purchase Order
Hi, We have a customer in the service industry using GP Ver 9.0. GP does not seem to be addressing few key requirements for the service industry and hence request your advice. 1. The Customer requires entering the purchase orders with the value and without any quantity. This is basically for the service type purchase orders. They would like to partially receive and invoice based on the value and not based on the quantity. As a standard functionality, the purchase order screen in GP in the Purchasing module will not allow to enter the value (Extended Cost) without the Quantity colum...

Need a formula that tags one table based 2 columns in each table
I have two tables on one worksheet, Table A and Table B. Each table contains two column with X and Y coordinates, all values are numerical. The coordinate system is irrelevant. I need to "tag" all XY coordinates in Table B that have a matching XY coordinate in Table A. If Table A coordinates are in columns A and B, and Table B coordinates are in columns C and D, then I want to place the text "hit" in column E next to each coordinate pair from columns C and D that match a coordinate pair in columns A and B. The ranges for the respective tables have been named ACOORD and...

calculating quantity on hand based on date-time stamp
Hello: I am always unclear on the proper syntax for pulling date-related data. I need to pull a field in my query, below, based on the field called "IV00118.CHANGEDATE_I". This is the date in which an end user changed the cost of an item. To give you some background, the IV00102 table in my query below is the Item Quantity Master table, while the IV00118 table is the Item Cost Change History table. The field that I want to pull based on that date field is the IV00102.QTYONHND field. This field is the inventory quantity on hand field. How would I format the syntax bel...

Moving OLE Based Control
I have a control that is bound to an OLE object in a table. When i try to reposition the control with the command Me.ObjectName.Left = 4000, it does not compile. The error message "Invalid Qualifier" appears. In addition, when I normally enter the period after the name of the object such as Me.ObjectName. a list of optional commands comes up. For this control, it does not. Could anyone help with with the problem of not being able to access the properties of this control. I use Access 2000. Thanks -- Frank Wagner fwagner111@aol.com What's the control? Are you sur...

"How do I get rid of old records in an Pivot Table?
The spreadsheet gets copied each month to a new file and the data cleared out, BUT the selecetion in the Pivot Table still holds the data from Previous spreadsheets Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html AyPee wrote: > > The spreadsheet gets copied each month to a new file and the data cleared > out, BUT the selecetion in the Pivot Table still holds the data from Previous > spreadsheets -- Dave Peterson The web-link was very helpful, thank you. I was about to reprogram and build my pivot tables to get rid of the obsolete item...

copy data to differences places based on selection
I have a master list of entities name in master name sheets. Let say entity 1 to entitiy 100. If I select Entity 1 to Entity 10, these 1 to 10 entities insert below group1, group2, group 3 in sheet1. It also insert below group4, group5 in sheet2. I don't have preference about how to select the names in master list. Anything like check, or yes is fine to me. I am open to any idea or method. thank you in advance. ...

Pivot table help I think !
Hi All, I have a report I need to create which goes as follows. I have a data list of around 56k records. The rows contain this; category 1, category 2, category 3, call id and Date I've created a pivot table with Cat1, cat2, cat 3 on the row area, Count of Call ID in the data area and date in the column area (this is grouped by Month). I'm looking at the months of Mar, Apr and May. I want to sort it, in descending order, by the difference of 'Count of Call ID' there is between Mar and May. If I cannot perform the calculation in the pivot table, is there a way of ungroupi...

Adding multiple tables in one report
I am trying to customize the default report Daily Detailed Sales with Tax. What i need to do is add the Tender Type (Credit card / cash / check) as another column in the report. So far i have found out: i need to add a column i need to import the TenderEntry table for the data I need to find out: How to import another table I have tried to import the table using sql UNION function, but that wont work for me either. any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank You Hi ED, The things make sense to me regarding the adding tables and fields which you can do and customized the .grp file. ...

Force data type from Text to Memo in a simple Make Table Query
I'm concatenating fields of various data types that upon completion sometimes reaches around 500 characters. Not huge, but larger than the Text limitation to which is what Access 2007 of course converts this. How can I force the data type to be Memo while I'm in the query so the resulting table displays all the data without any truncation. -- TIA Eric S UPRR I don't believe you can. I think you'll have to create the table first, and then append to it. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "E...

Pivot Table toolbar
Every time I edit a pivot table (Excel 2000)the toolbar launches itself and I have to then re-anchor it manually - this is very irritating! Is there any way to stop this happening? "GeoffS" <crammond-smith@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:39d201c355a8$a7f788b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Every time I edit a pivot table (Excel 2000)the toolbar > launches itself and I have to then re-anchor it manually - > this is very irritating! > > Is there any way to stop this happening? I use Excel97 but it may be the same. You can have the toolbar on all the time, positio...

table of contents
I am trying to build a table of contents from the headings in my employee handbook. I have heard that this is possible, and if I change the content of the handbook, the page numbers, etc. will automatically update. What is the process to accomplish this? I would appreciate any insight given. Thanks! ...

Pivot tabels -- Incorrect sorting of specific value in pivot table
A message was posted yesterday that has not shown up so this is a second attmpt. I have a pivot table that consistently places a value at the top of the sorted llist (bottom if decending) even though that value should be in the middle of the list. A sample of the values are ALC, SNO, CET, ESU, TEL, STR, JUN, NKA, NTL, blank. The JUN value is always at the top. Any value placed in the field that begins with J shows at the top. If the value is changed to any other letter, it sorts correctly. The data has been reentered at the source, the query checked, and the downloaded data chec...