Error PLEASE HELP!!!

I'm trying to syudi Ansi C in this program like suggested by my University
Book,

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <stdio.h>
   #include <string.h>
   #include <stdlib.h>
   #define MAXLINES 5000     /* max #lines to be sorted */
   char *lineptr[MAXLINES];  /* pointers to text lines */

   int readlines(char *lineptr[], int nlines);
   void writelines(char *lineptr[], int nlines);

   void qsort(void *lineptr[], int left, int right,
              int (*comp)(void *, void *));
   int numcmp(char *, char *);
   int StrCmp(char *, char *);

   /* sort input lines */
  int main(int argc, char *argv[])
   {
       int nlines;        /* number of input lines read */
       int numeric = 0;   /* bool - 1 if numeric sort */

       if (argc > 1 && StrCmp(argv[1], "-n") == 0)
           numeric = 1;
       if ((nlines = readlines(lineptr, MAXLINES)) >= 0) {
           qsort((void**) lineptr, 0, nlines-1,(int (*)( void*,
void*))(numeric ? numcmp : StrCmp));
           writelines(lineptr, nlines);
           return 0;
       } else {
           printf("input too big to sort\n");
           return 1;
       }
   }
/* qsort:  sort v[left]...v[right] into increasing order */
   void qsort(void *v[], int left, int right,
              int (*comp)(void *, void *))
   {
       int i, last;

       void swap(void *v[], int, int);

       if (left >= right)    /* do  nothing if array contains */
           return;           /* fewer than two elements */
       swap(v, left, (left + right)/2);
       last = left;
       for (i = left+1; i <= right;  i++)
           if ((*comp)(v[i], v[left]) < 0)
               swap(v, ++last, i);
       swap(v, left, last);
       qsort(v, left, last-1, comp);
       qsort(v, last+1, right, comp);
   }
   /* numcmp:  compare s1 and s2 numerically */
   int numcmp(char *s1, char *s2)
   {
       double v1, v2;

       v1 = atof(s1);
       v2 = atof(s2);
       if (v1 < v2)
           return -1;
       else if (v1 > v2)
           return 1;
       else
           return 0;
   }
   void swap(void *v[],  int i, int j)
   {
       void *temp;

       temp = v[i];
       v[i] = v[j];
       v[j] = temp;
   }
/* compare (unsigned) char s1[] to s2[] */
int StrCmp(char* s1,char* s2)
{
while (*s1 == *s2++)
if (*s1++ == 0)
return (0);
return (*(unsigned char *)s1 - *(unsigned char *)--s2);
}

I'm trying to compile it with Visual C++ 2005 Express ina console mode(not
CLR) program, but i get the follow linker error...

vectorpointer.obj : error LNK2019: riferimento al simbolo esterno "void
__cdecl writelines(char * * const,int)" (?writelines@@YAXQAPADH@Z) non
risolto nella funzione _main
vectorpointer.obj : error LNK2019: riferimento al simbolo esterno "int
__cdecl readlines(char * * const,int)" (?readlines@@YAHQAPADH@Z) non risolto
nella funzione _main

can someone help me?

0
MarcoMB (66)
3/27/2007 11:54:47 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

marcomb wrote:

> [...]
>        void *temp;
>
>        temp = v[i];
>        v[i] = v[j];
>        v[j] = temp;
>    }
> /* compare (unsigned) char s1[] to s2[] */
> int StrCmp(char* s1,char* s2)
> {
> while (*s1 == *s2++)
> if (*s1++ == 0)
> return (0);
> return (*(unsigned char *)s1 - *(unsigned char *)--s2);
> }
>
> I'm trying to compile it with Visual C++ 2005 Express ina console mode(not
> CLR) program, but i get the follow linker error...
>
> vectorpointer.obj : error LNK2019: riferimento al simbolo esterno "void
> __cdecl writelines(char * * const,int)" (?writelines@@YAXQAPADH@Z) non
> risolto nella funzione _main
> vectorpointer.obj : error LNK2019: riferimento al simbolo esterno "int

marcomb:

Well, you have declared writelines() and readlines(), but you have not
defined them. That is why your code will compile but not link. Maybe
these functions should have been defined in some other file?

David Wilkinson

0
no-reply8010 (1791)
3/28/2007 1:34:37 AM
Hi,
u've declared the 2 functions

   int readlines(char *lineptr[], int nlines);
   void writelines(char *lineptr[], int nlines);
but did n't define them.

Implement the functions (include the definitions for these functions).Then u
won't get these linker errors.
Thanx,
Ch.T.Gopi Kumar.

"marcomb" wrote:

> [...]
>        void *temp;
>
>        temp = v[i];
>        v[i] = v[j];
>        v[j] = temp;
>    }
> /* compare (unsigned) char s1[] to s2[] */
> int StrCmp(char* s1,char* s2)
> {
> while (*s1 == *s2++)
> if (*s1++ == 0)
> return (0);
> return (*(unsigned char *)s1 - *(unsigned char *)--s2);
> }
>
> I'm trying to compile it with Visual C++ 2005 Express ina console mode(not
> CLR) program, but i get the follow linker error...
>
> vectorpointer.obj : error LNK2019: riferimento al simbolo esterno "void
> __cdecl writelines(char * * const,int)" (?writelines@@YAXQAPADH@Z) non
> risolto nella funzione _main
> vectorpointer.obj : error LNK2019: riferimento al simbolo esterno "int

0
TilakgGopi (12)
3/28/2007 2:05:56 AM
See below...
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:54:47 -0700, marcomb <marcomb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to syudi Ansi C in this program like suggested by my University
>Book,
>
>#include "stdafx.h"
>#include <stdio.h>
>   #include <string.h>
>   #include <stdlib.h>
>   #define MAXLINES 5000     /* max #lines to be sorted */
>   char *lineptr[MAXLINES];  /* pointers to text lines */
****
There are so many things wrong here that I'm not sure where to begin.  This is typical of
the kind of introductory book examples.  Choosing a fixed size of lines is wrong.  Using
char is now considered obsolete (not Unicode-aware).  WHile I appreciate that this is an
example from a book that is teaching C, it is teaching really bad C.  A serious
application wouldn't do either of these things, so be aware that this is not a good model
to follow for real programming.  It is only barely adequate as a demonstration program.
*****

>   int readlines(char *lineptr[], int nlines);
>   void writelines(char *lineptr[], int nlines);
>
>   void qsort(void *lineptr[], int left, int right,
>              int (*comp)(void *, void *));
****
You should not be prototyping qsort here.  For one thing, the prototype of qsort is not
what you show here.
****
>   int numcmp(char *, char *);
****
Generally, sort targets are void*, void*, rather than presuming the data is char *.
****
>   int StrCmp(char *, char *);
****
I'm not sure why there is a need to define a string compare routine when one already
exists.  Be aware that strcmp (which is implemented as the StrCmp here) is not considered
a valid approach to sorting because it is not locale-aware
****

>   /* sort input lines */
>  int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>   {
>       int nlines;        /* number of input lines read */
>       int numeric = 0;   /* bool - 1 if numeric sort */
>
>       if (argc > 1 && StrCmp(argv[1], "-n") == 0)
****
StrCmp?  Don't you mean "strcmp"?
****
>           numeric = 1;
****
This looks like you are using an integer to represent a boolean value.  You should not do
this.  You should consider doing something like
typedef unsigned char bool;
#define true 1
#define false 0

	bool numeric = false;
	numeric = true;
****
>       if ((nlines = readlines(lineptr, MAXLINES)) >= 0) {
****
Most of us consider the use of embedded assignment in if-tests to be represented of one of
the worst styles of C programming that can exist.  There are people who erroneously
believe that this either is "more efficient" (based on a total lack of any justfication)
or is "shorter to write", as if that is a valid reason to write code that is hard to read
and is error-prone to write.  The only correct way to write this is
	nlines = readlines(lineptr, MAXLINES);
	if(nlines > 1)

Note that if you have 0 lines you have nothing to sort; if you have 1 line, it is
alreadyin sorted order, so it only makes sense to sort 2 or more lines
****
>           qsort((void**) lineptr, 0, nlines-1,(int (*)( void*,
>void*))(numeric ? numcmp : StrCmp));
****
This is a bit convoluted, and I'm not sure why the built-in qsort is not being used; it is
one thing to teach programming, another thing to waste time reproducing known code. Unless
this is a chapter on sort algorithms which shows the implementation of several alternative
sort algorithms, there is little point to not using the built-in functions
****
>           writelines(lineptr, nlines);
>           return 0;
>       } else {
>           printf("input too big to sort\n");
>           return 1;
>       }
>   }
****
I'm curious why you reimplement qsort here.  What's wrong with the built-in C library
qsort function?
*****
>/* qsort:  sort v[left]...v[right] into increasing order */
>   void qsort(void *v[], int left, int right,
>              int (*comp)(void *, void *))
>   {
>       int i, last;
>
>       void swap(void *v[], int, int);
>
>       if (left >= right)    /* do  nothing if array contains */
>           return;           /* fewer than two elements */
>       swap(v, left, (left + right)/2);
>       last = left;
>       for (i = left+1; i <= right;  i++)
>           if ((*comp)(v[i], v[left]) < 0)
>               swap(v, ++last, i);
>       swap(v, left, last);
>       qsort(v, left, last-1, comp);
>       qsort(v, last+1, right, comp);
>   }
>   /* numcmp:  compare s1 and s2 numerically */
>   int numcmp(char *s1, char *s2)
>   {
>       double v1, v2;
>
>       v1 = atof(s1);
>       v2 = atof(s2);
>       if (v1 < v2)
>           return -1;
>       else if (v1 > v2)
>           return 1;
>       else
>           return 0;
>   }
>   void swap(void *v[],  int i, int j)
>   {
>       void *temp;
>
>       temp = v[i];
>       v[i] = v[j];
>       v[j] = temp;
>   }
****
This seems to be a massive waste of effort; what's wrong with the C library strcmp
function?
****
>/* compare (unsigned) char s1[] to s2[] */
>int StrCmp(char* s1,char* s2)
>{
>while (*s1 == *s2++)
>if (*s1++ == 0)
>return (0);
>return (*(unsigned char *)s1 - *(unsigned char *)--s2);
>}
>
>I'm trying to compile it with Visual C++ 2005 Express ina console mode(not
>CLR) program, but i get the follow linker error...
>
>vectorpointer.obj : error LNK2019: riferimento al simbolo esterno "void
>__cdecl writelines(char * * const,int)" (?writelines@@YAXQAPADH@Z) non
>risolto nella funzione _main
****
And where, exactly, did you put the writelines function?  I don't see it anywhere.  You
did a forward declaration that said it was going to exist, but you never coded it
*****
>vectorpointer.obj : error LNK2019: riferimento al simbolo esterno "int
>__cdecl readlines(char * * const,int)" (?readlines@@YAHQAPADH@Z) non risolto
>nella funzione _main
****
See above.
****

>can someone help me?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

recieved error message 0x8DE00006
I cannot get Outlook to send a mass mailer out to business emails. Is ther a max amount that I can send too? I just keep getting this error message and then I go to look it up and there is not solution. Please help!? I have about 375 emails addresses in a distribution list. I just can't seem to send it out. This is most probably an issue with your ISP. They put a quota on how many emails you can send out at a single time. It is a control put in place to restrict Spam. Call your ISP for info -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests fo...

"Application has failed to start..." error message with VS2005 on new machine
VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all the settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get an error message "The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem" Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working with VStudio) the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missin...

Cannot show, import, export userform: error &H80004005 / component is not corretly installed
Please, help me! I can not find where is the the information I need. My problem is: I had Windows 2000 and Office 2000. Now they installed Windows XP and Office 2000 (serv.pack 3). And my forms do not work anymore! The error message says nothing useful, only: 1) the component is not corretly installed (ok! but it's a common form with only normal windows common buttons and labels, not a single userparty creative control) 2) error: &H80004005 -2147467259 3) memory insuficient (ahah, at 512 Mb, only Excel running... ) 4) can not set OleObjectBlob property But if I try to open the...

Help with PST file
Every now and then for whatever reason I get the message that my pst file can't be accessed (Outlook 2000 SR1). So I try to create a new one because I don't know how to fix the problem. After hours of trying, searching for help, etc I get a new pst file. However now in my folders list I have several other personal folders. Also I can never figure out how to get my email addresses from the old personal folder (contact folder) to the newly created one. Can someone help me? I've got to say that much of this goes over my head. For instance I keep reading where I'm supposed to ...

Help with a formula..
I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already tried it.. Any suggestions? Thanks! KK You'...

Help needed urgently
Hi, Im trying to check that one row of data satifies a criteria, then if it does it counts an entry in another column adjescent to it. Example: - Column A - Column B Blay - Y Blay - N Blay - Y Chop - N Chop - N High - Y What i would be asking (of a much bigger table) is If Column A = Blaydon and then column B (same row) = Y, then count. In this example I would want 2 returned as the answer. Is this possible? Thanks -- Andy Try one of these... Use cells to hold the criteria: D2 = Blaydon E2 = Y If you're using Excel 2007 or later: =COUNTIFS(A2:A7,...

VLookup in VBA giving error message

Exchange Connector Wizard error

Vb.net 2008 ContextMenuStrip logical error when running code
Greetings, I have a connectmenustrip item that when clicked runs the following code (see below) Now if the event is called by the button i.e. cmdDeleteingBooking.Click the linq query returns the appropriate value. However when called by cntMnuCancelBookingItem.Click is returns 0 even if a checkbox is of 'TRUE' value. Debugging shows the code runs exactly the same code (which loops around rows in a datagridview checking if the checkbox has been checked). Could someone explain the reasoning why the same code would return different results? Private Sub cmdDelete...

Metadata Cache Error 04-14-04
When trying to "Go Offline" after synchronization completes I receive the: "Metadata Cache Error" No Entity Anyone experience/solve this issue? Hi, You may have replication setup issue on your SQL server, I suggest you to go through this article : http://mbs.microsoft.com/TechKnowledge/techknowledge.asp?print=true&id=33588&code=7842 If this is OK, you may test the following manipulation : Open SQL Enterprise Manager; go to Start select All Programs and then Microsoft SQL Server. Expand Microsoft SQL Servers, expand SQL Server Group, expand your Microsoft CR...

js error in ie8
Hi, i am opening a popup window in ie8, the popup is load with loaded with one url and some javascript classes are intialized and able to call the member functions are from page and then i am re-directing the page the another url and the js classes are reinitialized. when i try to call the member function of the js class in the re-directed page, ie8 throws js error as "Unexpected call to method or property access". When debug the code, i found that the class is properly initialized and able to access the member variables of the class. i am getting problem only ...

help with dynamic tables

Label Error with image?
Hi, We are trying to print a label for jewelry, the only issue we seem to have is that when an image is put into the label designer the image is the right dimensions but instead of being an image it is a box with red lines cris-crossing with the word 'ERROR' displayed in the center. This all happens before printing, although when we try to print there is no image. So what is it that we are doing wrong to not have an image displayed in the Label designer of RMS PO Manager. Any help[ would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ___________________ Dave Dave, In Label Designer, you have ...

Frx Susbcript 9 error
I am running a consolidated Income Statement in FRx and I get an Error 9 when it hits this one company. It consolidates 5 different companies, one that is translated. I just can;t figure it out. I have a very similar Balance Sheet that runs just fine. I have tried everything, change the output names, etc. I can run the report if I just select that one company but when I run the total company it won't run, it stops with the error. I am using row linking and currency translation. I can run the report for all companies individually. I just don't get it. I have gone through the various kb...

error on install to pocket pc
"window\mny2day.dll" is in use or is in ROM. IFthe file is not in ROM, please close the application using the file. I do not understand what file could be using the same application or how to check the ROM. ...

Sql Agent Error
After installing CRM we are receiving the following error. "An error occurred when attempting to set the SQLSERVERAGENT service to AutoStart: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified service does not exist as an installed service at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Utility.ServiceUtility.SetServiceToAutoStart(String serviceName, String machineName) at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServiceRunningValidator.AutoStartLocalService(String serviceName, TimeSpan waitTimeForStart) We have CRM on a SBS 2003 machine and SQL EE 2000 on a W2K3 machine. Both are DCs the SBS holds all FS...

Interesting Solver problem (Solver encounters an error)
Here's an interesting problem, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts o this. Recognize that my real problem is very complex (severa intermediate calculation including some iterative steps), but th problem I'm having seems similar (conceptually anyway) to this simpl problem. Given a data set: x,y 10,3.9 8,3.2 7,2.8 6,2.2 5,1.4 4.5,0.8 4,0.01 3.8,-0.4 3.6,-1 3.5,-1.4 3.4,-1.8 3.3,-2.4 3.2,-3.2 3.1,-4.6 3.05,-6 One could look at the data and say, "that looks like the curve y=ln(x) but with a different asymptote other than the y-axis and possibly scaling factor." So we choos...

IM error ADO field is nothing
I am trying to do an import for manual payroll checks. I have used the same set up as is used in the sample but I recieve the above error. It also says 0 integrations failed. I can't find anything in knowledgebase. Thanks for any help. Tracey D Open IM, select your integration, double-click on Mappings. Click on the Transactions collection, then click on the Options tab. You will want to make sure the Record Source option rule is set to Use Source Recordset and that the Source is set to your source query. If the above is defined properly, then you will want to make sure you a...

Macro Help #18
Well I think this is a macro. I have searched my excel book and i can not seem to figure out what to do. I want to write something that if this statement is true, then the font color changes. But here is the potential problem. THe location of the text will change. So i need it to search for this text and then change the color. Does that make sense? Is this possible? If this can be done it will really help me. Thanks in advance. This is exactly what i am trying to do. You type in a persons name into cell a1. you also type a name into cell a2. These names will transfer over ...

trial & error
How do I calculate the z factor automatically by trial & error EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com You keep asking about the z factor. What's the z factor? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ <khalid khalid> wrote in message news:200782610734gawarh@hotmail.com... > How do I calculate the z factor automatically by trial & error > > EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice > http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Outlook reports OLE registration error
I have Office 2000 running in Windows Me on a Dell Dimension XPS D266 with 64 meg ram. Outlook stopped working so I ran Repair from Office 2000 CD and then Re- install Office from same source. Both times Outlook says" An OLE registration error occured. Program is not correctly installed. Run Setup again." Doesn't seem to be much sense in running it again. What now? Reinstall Outlook Express. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal acco...