Enumerating SQL Server database tables rows and sprocs using MFC

Hi,

I've been looking around for a while now after an efficient way to enumerate
tables, rows and sprocs of a MsSQL database. The best I could come up with
was SQL DMO, but one cannot have it installed without installing SQL Server
itself or MSDE, so I'm looking for alternative.
After a table name was fetched, I will need to know the rows it contains,
what type they are, and what are the indexes and identity defined for this
table. Effectively, if I could somehow get the CREATE SQL statement from the
DB itself that would be ideal. Also, I will need a way to get the sprocs
code from the DB, and all that without having any prequisites on either
sides - client and server.

I'm using VC++ with MFC. No managed C++ or .NET, unless I can use the
algorythm in an unmanaged enviroment.

Any links, articles, replies and sample code would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stilgar.

0
stilgar (21)
11/18/2005 1:42:09 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Will DESCRIBE <tablename> work on MsSql?

For each row simply do SELECT * FROM <table>

- MR

"Stilgar" <stilgar@divrei-tora.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking around for a while now after an efficient way to
> enumerate tables, rows and sprocs of a MsSQL database.

0
markyr (30)
11/18/2005 2:00:14 PM
Stilgar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking around for a while now after an efficient way to enumerate
> tables, rows and sprocs of a MsSQL database. The best I could come up with
> was SQL DMO, but one cannot have it installed without installing SQL Server
> itself or MSDE, so I'm looking for alternative.
> After a table name was fetched, I will need to know the rows it contains,
> what type they are, and what are the indexes and identity defined for this
> table. Effectively, if I could somehow get the CREATE SQL statement from the
> DB itself that would be ideal. Also, I will need a way to get the sprocs
> code from the DB, and all that without having any prequisites on either
> sides - client and server.
>
> I'm using VC++ with MFC. No managed C++ or .NET, unless I can use the
> algorythm in an unmanaged enviroment.
>
> Any links, articles, replies and sample code would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Stilgar.

To connect to the database you'll normally need an ODBC or OLEDB driver
and the usual way to get that is to install the client connectivity
from the SQL Server disc or install MDAC from microsoft.com (unless you
plan to write your own ODBC/OLEDB client).

The metadata is available in the ADO object model or through TSQL
commands that return a recordset. SQL Server provides the Information
Schema views for that purpose and you can read about them in Books
Online.

--
David Portas
SQL Server MVP

DESCRIBE <tablename> doesn't seem to work with MsSQL. I've executed it and
it errored.

How can I get the field types using SELECT *? Not to mention indexes and
determine what is the identity field?

Stilgar.

"Mark Randall" <markyr@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Will DESCRIBE <tablename> work on MsSql?
>
> For each row simply do SELECT * FROM <table>
>
> - MR
>
> "Stilgar" <stilgar@divrei-tora.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been looking around for a while now after an efficient way to
>> enumerate tables, rows and sprocs of a MsSQL database.

0
stilgar (21)
11/18/2005 2:11:49 PM
I'm using ODBC. Can you shortlist the main TSQL commands? I couldn't find
them myself, as I don't know what to look for exactly here.

How can MDAC help here?

Stilgar.

"David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas@acm.org> wrote in message
> Stilgar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been looking around for a while now after an efficient way to
>> enumerate
>> tables, rows and sprocs of a MsSQL database. The best I could come up
>> with
>> was SQL DMO, but one cannot have it installed without installing SQL
>> Server
>> itself or MSDE, so I'm looking for alternative.
>> After a table name was fetched, I will need to know the rows it contains,
>> what type they are, and what are the indexes and identity defined for
>> this
>> table. Effectively, if I could somehow get the CREATE SQL statement from
>> the
>> DB itself that would be ideal. Also, I will need a way to get the sprocs
>> code from the DB, and all that without having any prequisites on either
>> sides - client and server.
>>
>> I'm using VC++ with MFC. No managed C++ or .NET, unless I can use the
>> algorythm in an unmanaged enviroment.
>>
>> Any links, articles, replies and sample code would be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Stilgar.
>
> To connect to the database you'll normally need an ODBC or OLEDB driver
> and the usual way to get that is to install the client connectivity
> from the SQL Server disc or install MDAC from microsoft.com (unless you
> plan to write your own ODBC/OLEDB client).
>
> The metadata is available in the ADO object model or through TSQL
> commands that return a recordset. SQL Server provides the Information
> Schema views for that purpose and you can read about them in Books
> Online.
>
> --
> David Portas
> SQL Server MVP

stilgar (21)
11/18/2005 2:13:21 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_sa-ses_9sfo.asp

Click 'Up One Level' and there you go ... I tried to give you that direct
link but ...

-Mark

> I'm using ODBC. Can you shortlist the main TSQL commands? I couldn't find
> them myself, as I don't know what to look for exactly here.
>
> How can MDAC help here?
>
> Stilgar.
>
> "David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas@acm.org> wrote in message
>> Stilgar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been looking around for a while now after an efficient way to
>>> enumerate
>>> tables, rows and sprocs of a MsSQL database. The best I could come up
>>> with
>>> was SQL DMO, but one cannot have it installed without installing SQL
>>> Server
>>> itself or MSDE, so I'm looking for alternative.
>>> After a table name was fetched, I will need to know the rows it
>>> contains,
>>> what type they are, and what are the indexes and identity defined for
>>> this
>>> table. Effectively, if I could somehow get the CREATE SQL statement from
>>> the
>>> DB itself that would be ideal. Also, I will need a way to get the sprocs
>>> code from the DB, and all that without having any prequisites on either
>>> sides - client and server.
>>>
>>> I'm using VC++ with MFC. No managed C++ or .NET, unless I can use the
>>> algorythm in an unmanaged enviroment.
>>>
>>> Any links, articles, replies and sample code would be highly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Stilgar.
>>
>> To connect to the database you'll normally need an ODBC or OLEDB driver
>> and the usual way to get that is to install the client connectivity
>> from the SQL Server disc or install MDAC from microsoft.com (unless you
>> plan to write your own ODBC/OLEDB client).
>>
>> The metadata is available in the ADO object model or through TSQL
>> commands that return a recordset. SQL Server provides the Information
>> Schema views for that purpose and you can read about them in Books
>> Online.
>>
>> --
>> David Portas
>> SQL Server MVP
>> --

0
Mark700 (1)
11/18/2005 3:07:55 PM
I got an even better one - EXEC sp_tables, sp_columns <table>,
sp_stored_procedures.

Thanks for your help.

Stilgar.

"Mark Nijhof" <Mark@Nijhof.com> wrote in message
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_sa-ses_9sfo.asp
>
> Click 'Up One Level' and there you go ... I tried to give you that direct
> link but ...
>
> -Mark
>
> "Stilgar" <stilgar@divrei-tora.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using ODBC. Can you shortlist the main TSQL commands? I couldn't find
>> them myself, as I don't know what to look for exactly here.
>>
>> How can MDAC help here?
>>
>> Stilgar.
>>
>> "David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas@acm.org> wrote in message

>>> To connect to the database you'll normally need an ODBC or OLEDB driver
>>> and the usual way to get that is to install the client connectivity
>>> from the SQL Server disc or install MDAC from microsoft.com (unless you
>>> plan to write your own ODBC/OLEDB client).
>>>
>>> The metadata is available in the ADO object model or through TSQL
>>> commands that return a recordset. SQL Server provides the Information
>>> Schema views for that purpose and you can read about them in Books
>>> Online.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Portas
>>> SQL Server MVP
>>> --

0
stilgar (21)
11/19/2005 7:34:53 PM
....And I have an even better Idea;

go to
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

and download the MySQL++, this makes connecting from VC++ to a MySQL
database really easy, no ODBC, or any other connectors, straight to the
MySQL database.

John
The_Code_Master@hotmail.com

> I got an even better one - EXEC sp_tables, sp_columns <table>,
> sp_stored_procedures.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Stilgar.
>
> "Mark Nijhof" <Mark@Nijhof.com> wrote in message

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_
sa-ses_9sfo.asp

> > Click 'Up One Level' and there you go ... I tried to give you that
direct
> > link but ...
> >
> > -Mark
> >
> > "Stilgar" <stilgar@divrei-tora.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm using ODBC. Can you shortlist the main TSQL commands? I couldn't
find
> >> them myself, as I don't know what to look for exactly here.
> >>
> >> How can MDAC help here?
> >>
> >> Stilgar.
> >>
> >> "David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas@acm.org> wrote in
message

Sure, only problem is I asked about MS SQL Server, not MySQL. Thanks, but
I'm already familiar with it.

Stilgar.

"The Code Master" <The_Code_Master@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ...And I have an even better Idea;
>
> go to
> http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
>
> and download the MySQL++, this makes connecting from VC++ to a MySQL
> database really easy, no ODBC, or any other connectors, straight to the
> MySQL database.
>
> John
> The_Code_Master@hotmail.com
>

> "Stilgar" <stilgar@divrei-tora.com> wrote in message
>> I got an even better one - EXEC sp_tables, sp_columns <table>,
>> sp_stored_procedures.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Stilgar.
>>
>> "Mark Nijhof" <Mark@Nijhof.com> wrote in message
>> >
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_
> sa-ses_9sfo.asp
>> >
>> > Click 'Up One Level' and there you go ... I tried to give you that
> direct
>> > link but ...
>> >
>> > -Mark
>> >
>> > "Stilgar" <stilgar@divrei-tora.com> wrote in message
> find

> message

> either

> driver
> you

0
stilgar (21)

How to shift address listings from row list to columns?
I have a mailing list with name, address, city, state & zip with each item in individual rows like a list of labels and a few empty rows of space between each listing. How do I create/transfer this list into columns accross so I can sort by city or zip? Thank you! If your data is nicely grouped, with each group in 5 lines, viz: name add city state zip then an earlier suggestion given which worked might be worth a try: See: http://tinyurl.com/wgcb -- hth Max ----------------------------------------- Please reply in newsgroup Use xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com for email --...

Excluding hidden columns and rows when copying to another workbook
When I print part of a worksheet that has hidden columns and rows - the hidden columns and rows do not print. That's what I want. Now--I'd like to take that same data and copy it to another workbook excluding the formulas and hidden columns and rows so that the new file contains only the data as was printed. How can I do that? PJ Select your range including hidden rows and columns then Edit>Go To>Special>Visible cells only>OK Now do your copy/paste. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:16:07 -0800, "PJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Server-side delete all mail rule
Exchange as part of SBS 2000. I have a postmaster account to keep the RFC police happy, but I just de-assigned it from the AD admin account and re-assigned it to an account that I will never check (got tired of the junk). All that RFC requires is that it accept messages, not that I actually read them, and now I want to establish a rule to accept but delete all incoming messages automatically. However, the delete-all rule is a client-side rule, and I was hoping to never have to check the account. Ideas? Mailbox manager to purge email beyond say... 30 days perhaps for that mailbox? &q...

database takes too long to open
Hi, I have a customer that has a problem with his exchange server, the outlook users takes longer than usual to start opening their mailboxes, and when I open the mailbox store, it also takes longer than usual (about a minute or 2). I recently found out that the ExchangeAL was not finding a DC, becuase it was incorrecly configured on the RUS, I fixed that, I also made an offline defragmentation of the database and checked its integrity using isinteg, and everything is fine. I don´t know what maybe wrong with it, but it´s making the users upset that the outlooks takes so long t...

numbering rows
Is there a way to number each row in Excel so that when it prints out the rows all have numbers? I couldn't find it in Msft online Help but I guess that's no surprise. thanks! Jane Two options. 1. In page setup>sheet select "row and column headers". Note this will print the column headsers also. 2. Insert a column to left of your original columns(will become column A) Enter in A1 =ROW() and drag/copy down the column as far as you wish. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:15:10 -0700, "jane" <jfnysf@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a ...

pivot table %
I have 2 columns in a pivot table - decription and amount. I need to calc a % of each value of the total. I don't know how to do that. ...

How to suppress "Entourage cannot find server" message when offline?

Developing a robust database at one co. then using it at another c
Are there any legal implications of using the type of database listed above to perform similar functions for another company? The 2 company's are in 2 totally different industries and the new database will have to be modified to fit the requirements for the industry it is in. The database was developed at the old company. there is no such thing as a robust Jet database. Move to SQL Server if you want to build a solution that will work for the next decade. Jet is and always has been depecrated On Apr 7, 12:14=A0pm, BoaMan10 <BoaMa...@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Need help getting files from Exchange Server.
We have a computer that had an account on Outlook attached to a Microsoft exchange server. Apparently for the moment, this computer and the server are inextricably tied together. Outlook cannot even be started without logging into the server because information store or whatever is missing. How do you get the information out of the exchange server to wean the computer from it? tom <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote: > We have a computer that had an account on Outlook > attached to a Microsoft exchange server. > > Apparently for the moment, this computer and the > se...

Slow Response time after server move to AD
I've recently moved my Windows 2003 Server running GP 8.0 from a stand alone server on a Novell network to a member server in Active Directory. The response time from client computers has slowed drastically. It also ocurred when the clients were part of Active Directory and the sevrer was still a stand alone (workgroup). Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be slowing the response time of GP, primarily on customer screens. Thanks! Ben DeGennaro ...

Incoming mail server problem
I use supanet for the internet and recently had to clear off a load of viruses and worms from my computer. Computer is clean now. I've run up to date spybot. adaware and cleaned all viruses with Mcaffee internet security as well as running stinger. Sasser, and W32 pate.b were included. Have also completed all windows updates. Everything is working fine now except my email. When I restart the computer my incoming mail server keeps changing from pop.supanet.com to a strange number. 9eg 17.02.01.10 or something similar) It also changes the user name from 3612 to 3612@supanet.com (It adds su...

retain only rows with condition that cells in column H containing "AU"
I have a large database containing columns with one column specifies the product name. In one instances, I need to retain only rows with condition that cells in column H containing "AU" of the entire string in the cell. Delete those rows without it. The problem is , that the AU of the string can appear in any position, not a fixed position. Is there any simple way of doing it? Many Thanks! Regards, Bora Hi, You can use AutoFilter. Choose the command Data, Filter, AutoFilter. Then open the autofilter drop down in the column H and choose Custom and from the first drop down, t...

Re: Recovery from EX2000 to EX2003 Server on a new machine
Hi, i have been having serious problems with my current Exchange 2000 machine where it continously fails to load the Information store and other services at startup. i have got it up and running now but if i reboot it will fail again and only starts 1 in 10 reboots What i would like to do it create another box with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and move all the stores,logs and all to this new server. Is there any procedures that need to be followed to do this? and are there any complications with the AD please advise me on the correct was to do this or any documentation there is available...

Small Business Server License
My Windows 2003 Small Business Server (run with virtual PC) will not start because the demo license has expired. I was advised by Microsoft to change the date on my computer, start the server, change the license key and start again with correct date. This does not work. Can anyone give me some advice? P�l WM-data Consulting Norway Hi: Has your copy of SBS server been activated? If not, and you have an action apck or MSDN subscription, you might be able to activate the software using your keys... When you click activation it should give you a "Cannot activate" message and gi...

Conversion Errors Table
Hello, I'm new to working with Access, I just converted an Access 97 databas into Access 2002. It tells me there were errors, and to look at th Conversion Errors Table. But nowhere in the message or in the MS Hel is there anything telling me where to find this table. Can someon help? Thanks Patric -- psha ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pshaw's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=493 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=125029 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i I'd expect to find it in the new...

copy rows to another file
Dear Experts I have following code,i need to copy desirde rows to new file (r.xls) on sheet 1. This code is able to copy desired rows from active sheet to sheet2(same file) based on values in column G. Would you please guide me? regards Sub Marine() Dim arrParts() As String Dim MyRange As Range, CopyRange As Range Dim LastRow As Long LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "G").End(xlUp).Row Set MyRange = Range("G1:G" & LastRow) response = InputBox("Enter rows to copy in the format nnn,nnn,nn") arrParts = Split(response, ",") For Each ...

String Table (VC6 IDE)
I have strings in English language in the "String Table" of my project (myProject.rc). I'm loading them using: CString msg; msg.LoadString(150); Now, I need to internationalise my app. How can I do that? How can I add support for multiple languages? Which is the best way to do that? >I have strings in English language in the "String Table" of my project >(myProject.rc). I'm loading them using: > >CString msg; >msg.LoadString(150); > >Now, I need to internationalise my app. How can I do that? How can I add >support for multiple lang...

Query cross two table
Hi, I have two tables, tbAdmission and tbCode. In my tbAdmission, I have Code1, Code2 and Code3. In my tbCode, I have Code, Description1 and Description2. In my Form, frmAdmission, I have txtCode1, txtCode2 and txtCode3 that are all bounded to tbAdmission. And txtDescription1Code1, txtDescription2Code1, txtDescription1Code2, txtDescription2Code2, txtDescription1Code3 and txtDescription2Code3 that are unbounded and only for displaying the descriptions. txtCode1, txtCode2 and txtCode3 all refer to Code in tbCode to retrieve Description1 and Description2 for displaying in the unbou...

POP server always changes to localhost
Hello, My outlook is having a wierd issue. I have three POP3 accounts set up to check email in Outlook. After some point in time, all three will stop functioning because in the E-mail accounts settings dialog my incoming mail server will get changed to localhost, and it fails to log in to box to pull my mail. It appends the POP3 server name to my user name which seems odd. So, to summarize, my Incoming mail server (POP3) field changes from it's usual value (something like mail.server.com) to localhost, and my mail server gets appended to my user name (something like username...

Adding a Bank to Money 2002's database
Can I add an online bank to Money 2002's database or must it be added by Microsoft?? In microsoft.public.money, Rob wrote: >Can I add an online bank to Money 2002's database or must >it be added by Microsoft?? That must be done by Microsoft working together with your bank. However you can use any bank you choose for your own file. Just select the (Not Listed) choice when you create the account. Then in the Account Details, enter the address, web site URL, etc. ...

about MFC APIs
Hi, I am working in VC++ environment. I want to know, is there any windows APIs for screen display using buffers at pixel level Please give me suggestions awaiting the response with regards jagadeesha jagadeesha m wrote: > Hi, > > I am working in VC++ environment. I want to know, is there > any windows APIs for screen display using buffers at pixel > level > > Please give me suggestions > > awaiting the response > > with regards > jagadeesha There are several APIs for pixel-level bitmap control. All of them are explained and compared in th...

Hiding Column and Row Bars.
I know theres a way to costumize the way you view an excel page by hiding toolbars, but is there a way to hide the rows and column bars just so all you can see is the actual page. E.G. is there a way to Hide the top bar that defines the colums "A", "B", "C","D" and Rows 1,2,3,4,5. Go to Tools>Options>View, there are a number of options you can play with there. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "tamato43" <tamato43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D1E5DEB-D6F2-47C8-95E2-2...

if value not found in table ?
Hello all I need to display a msgbox if a value is not found in a table. Something like: If value not_in table.field then msgbix end if I know that code wont work is just an ilustration of what i am looking for Thanks in advance Use DLookup() to see if the value is in the table. If it's not found, the result will be Null. So, use IsNull() to test the result. Here's how to get your Dlookup() expression working: Getting a value from a table: DLookup() at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-07.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access us...

automatically numbering rows
I wish to have rows automatically numbered in column "A" according to the content in column "B". If column "B" has text or numbers in a cell I do not want to number that row in column "A". If column "B" is blank in a cell I want to number that row in column "A". I found the following formula that works the opposite of what I want "=IF(B1<>"",COUNTA($B$1:B1)&".","")" . What would the formula be if I wanted to numerically count the blank cells in "B" and skip the conte...

Mail is queued after adding 2nd server
I was hoping someone might have some insight into this issue. I've just completed adding a 2nd server to my first site. All mail between the two servers is getting queued; doesn't matter which server it originates from. Mail to the original server from the internet as well as auto generated emails is still functioning correctly. We're running Exchg 2003 SP2 and Win2k3 on both servers. I've also gone through the Best Practices and fixed the minor issues it listed. Thanks, Chris Can you telnet to port 25 from each server successfully? Are the servers located in the same su...