Echoing entered data in a CEdit window

I'm using a CEdit object to display contents of a file, which is
encapsulated in a CFile object. Say the file contains the following:

Welcome to Blah, Inc.
ENTER PIN:

prompting for a PIN number. How can I now "echo" the PIN keyed in by
someone, starting at two spaces after the ":". The edit window is
written with a 50-point font, Times New Roman. Also, do I have to
refresh the whole edit window, with each refresh containing ALL the
characters above, plus the currently entered number, or can I just write
to a specific (x,y) cursor position. IOW, I want the following...

Persone enters "1", edit screen will now show

Welcome to Blah, Inc.
ENTER PIN: 1

Persone enters "2", edit screen will now show

Welcome to Blah, Inc.
ENTER PIN: 12

etc...

Thanks,
-Zilla

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Zilla,

If I understand you correctly, you want to add the text entered by the user
into an editbox already containin text. The easy way to do this is to set
the insertion point after the "Welcome..." text is set. For this, you use
SetSel with the start- and end characters pointing to the last character of
the control. This means, however, that the user can move around in the other
text, remove and take it away, and create all sorts of havoc.

The text you are displaying is a label, and a far better solution would be
to put the text from the file into a CStatic, and just use an empty CEdit
where the user can enter text. You won't need any positioning or refreshing
of the window.

Johan Rosengren
Abstrakt Mekanik AB

"Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de
> I'm using a CEdit object to display contents of a file, which is
> encapsulated in a CFile object. Say the file contains the following:
>
> Welcome to Blah, Inc.
> ENTER PIN:
>
> prompting for a PIN number. How can I now "echo" the PIN keyed in by
> someone, starting at two spaces after the ":". The edit window is
> written with a 50-point font, Times New Roman. Also, do I have to
> refresh the whole edit window, with each refresh containing ALL the
> characters above, plus the currently entered number, or can I just write
> to a specific (x,y) cursor position. IOW, I want the following...
>
> Persone enters "1", edit screen will now show
>
> Welcome to Blah, Inc.
> ENTER PIN: 1
>
> Persone enters "2", edit screen will now show
>
> Welcome to Blah, Inc.
> ENTER PIN: 12
>
> etc...
>

> Thanks,
> -Zilla

Zilla,

You can indeed do it in the described way - but for the reasons I originally
voiced, you really should have the following:

- You have two CEdits, say eBox and aBox. eBox is read-only (or a CStatic
instead of a CEdit).
- You read from a CFile, doing SetWindowText with the contents of the file
on eBox. You don't have to do an UpdateWindow, eBox will update itself after
SetWindowText.
- You set the focus to aBox with SetFocus.

Now, when the user starts to enter characters, they will go to aBox, and you
don't have to do anything special do display them.

Johan Rosengren wrote:
> Zilla,
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want to add the text entered by the user
> into an editbox already containin text. The easy way to do this is to set
> the insertion point after the "Welcome..." text is set. For this, you use
> SetSel with the start- and end characters pointing to the last character of
> the control. This means, however, that the user can move around in the other
> text, remove and take it away, and create all sorts of havoc.
>
> The text you are displaying is a label, and a far better solution would be
> to put the text from the file into a CStatic, and just use an empty CEdit
> where the user can enter text. You won't need any positioning or refreshing
> of the window.
>
> Johan Rosengren
> Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>
> "Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de
>
>>I'm using a CEdit object to display contents of a file, which is
>>encapsulated in a CFile object. Say the file contains the following:
>>
>>Welcome to Blah, Inc.
>>ENTER PIN:
>>
>>prompting for a PIN number. How can I now "echo" the PIN keyed in by
>>someone, starting at two spaces after the ":". The edit window is
>>written with a 50-point font, Times New Roman. Also, do I have to
>>refresh the whole edit window, with each refresh containing ALL the
>>characters above, plus the currently entered number, or can I just write
>>to a specific (x,y) cursor position. IOW, I want the following...
>>
>>Persone enters "1", edit screen will now show
>>
>>Welcome to Blah, Inc.
>>ENTER PIN: 1
>>
>>Persone enters "2", edit screen will now show
>>
>>Welcome to Blah, Inc.
>>ENTER PIN: 12
>>
>>etc...
>>

>>Thanks,
>>-Zilla

Thanks John. The (one and only) edit box I have is read-only, so
users can NOT enter data into it directly. Users will have to click
on a numeric button to enter data, as in a calculator.

Zilla

Johan Rosengren wrote:
> Zilla,
>
> You can indeed do it in the described way - but for the reasons I originally
> voiced, you really should have the following:
>
> - You have two CEdits, say eBox and aBox. eBox is read-only (or a CStatic
> instead of a CEdit).
> - You read from a CFile, doing SetWindowText with the contents of the file
> on eBox. You don't have to do an UpdateWindow, eBox will update itself after
> SetWindowText.
> - You set the focus to aBox with SetFocus.
>
> Now, when the user starts to enter characters, they will go to aBox, and you
> don't have to do anything special do display them.
>
> Johan Rosengren
> Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>
> "Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de
>
>>So I figured out how to do this...
>>- I have a CEdit box object, say eBox.
>>- I have a CFile object which of course Open() a file
>>- I read Read() the file contents and store them in
>>   a CString variable m_String
>>- I call eBox->SetWindowText(m_String) and
>>   eBox->UpdateWindow() to update the edit box
>>- Now whenever I press a numeric key, I just do
>>   m_String += "some_number" where "some_number"
>>   is the character representation of the number
>>   pressed.
>>- Then call the two edit box functions...
>>

>>-Zilla
>>
>>Johan Rosengren wrote:
>>
>>>Zilla,
>>>
>>>If I understand you correctly, you want to add the text entered by the
>
> user
>
>>>into an editbox already containin text. The easy way to do this is to
>
> set
>
>>>the insertion point after the "Welcome..." text is set. For this, you
>
> use
>
>>>SetSel with the start- and end characters pointing to the last character
>
> of
>
>>>the control. This means, however, that the user can move around in the
>
> other
>
>>>text, remove and take it away, and create all sorts of havoc.
>>>
>>>The text you are displaying is a label, and a far better solution would
>
> be
>
>>>to put the text from the file into a CStatic, and just use an empty
>
> CEdit
>
>>>where the user can enter text. You won't need any positioning or
>
> refreshing
>
>>>of the window.
>>>
>>>Johan Rosengren
>>>Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>>>
>>>"Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de

How is a read-only edit control that users enter data in from a keypad different from a
read/write edit control that users enter data in from a keypad? Or is this keypad a
completely separate device from the keyboard? If so, is there still a keyboard?

If you are concerned about them entering other than numbers, you could always add the
"numeric only" style to the edit control.
				joe

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:51:17 -0500, Zilla <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Thanks John. The (one and only) edit box I have is read-only, so
>users can NOT enter data into it directly. Users will have to click
>on a numeric button to enter data, as in a calculator.
>
>Zilla
>
>Johan Rosengren wrote:
>> Zilla,
>>
>> You can indeed do it in the described way - but for the reasons I originally
>> voiced, you really should have the following:
>>
>> - You have two CEdits, say eBox and aBox. eBox is read-only (or a CStatic
>> instead of a CEdit).
>> - You read from a CFile, doing SetWindowText with the contents of the file
>> on eBox. You don't have to do an UpdateWindow, eBox will update itself after
>> SetWindowText.
>> - You set the focus to aBox with SetFocus.
>>
>> Now, when the user starts to enter characters, they will go to aBox, and you
>> don't have to do anything special do display them.
>>
>> Johan Rosengren
>> Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>>
>> "Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de
>>
>>>So I figured out how to do this...
>>>- I have a CEdit box object, say eBox.
>>>- I have a CFile object which of course Open() a file
>>>- I read Read() the file contents and store them in
>>>   a CString variable m_String
>>>- I call eBox->SetWindowText(m_String) and
>>>   eBox->UpdateWindow() to update the edit box
>>>- Now whenever I press a numeric key, I just do
>>>   m_String += "some_number" where "some_number"
>>>   is the character representation of the number
>>>   pressed.
>>>- Then call the two edit box functions...
>>>

>>>-Zilla

>> user

>> set

>> use

>> of

>> other

>> be

>> CEdit

>> refreshing

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

Windows logon help
I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now and then, when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get the flashing cursor in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to reboot. I wonder why this happens and whether there is some keystroke combination I can use to allow me to enter my logon password. JD wrote: > I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now > and then, when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get > the flashing cursor in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to > reboot. I wonder why ...

How to replace PivotTable data fields...?
Hi, I'm progamming a pivot table using VBA. I have no problem manipulating column or row fields, but how can I replace a data field? Everything I try just adds the data field to the existing data field resulting in a mess. The PivotTable.addfields methods *replaces* whatever columns were previously designated as RowFields, ColumnFields, and PageFields with the new specifications, as in: ..AddFields RowFields:="Date", PageFields:="Location" But no matter what I try, I can't replace the data field.... I've even tried setting the Orientation property to xlHidden...

access of oracle9i data base with MFC
i m getting some problem while accessing the data base of oracle9i . whenever i m accessing the data base it is always asking password and name , i need to remove this so what should u include in my code that it will privent the same Please, add more details about your problem. It's difficult for us to guess how you are connecting to Oracle database since there are a lot of ways to do it. Jaime "hame" <hame@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43299876-F05F-417E-84F0-F51A5A9AF3AC@microsoft.com... > i m getting some problem while accessing the dat...

Rollong back a Windows Update?
How do I uninstall a Windows update if I can't find it in the list of $NTUninstallKBxxxxxx files in my Windows folder? "jetjock" <jetjock@hanger.com> wrote in message news:ht8il5l5j0gq21mdeod5bf4p6uqpoftjcf@4ax.com... > How do I uninstall a Windows update if I can't find it in the list of > $NTUninstallKBxxxxxx files in my Windows folder? Remove it via Add/remove Programs in the Control Panel. Make sure the Show Updates box is checked at the top of the page. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA Bruce Ha...

Uniquely Identify Data for Charting with a List Box
Gang, The Internet is a great thing. I found a charting example that does nearly every thing I want to do. Amazingly enough, I was able to figure out how the thing works! The chart is fairly simple. It is a X*Y line chart with 2 series. I found the chart here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - The chart is called "ChartAgainstStandard.zip." One of the 2 series plotted is a "standard" and the other changes based on the selection made in the drop down list. Amazingly enough, I was able to follow the thing completely and I would like ...

Install Folders for Windows Service
I have created a service and cannot figure out where the program is figuring out what to use for a company name or product name. I have a solution called UPS and a windows services called UPS.Service. My deployment project is called UPS.Deployment. When I build the msi and setup for the program it wants to put the folders in: c:\Program Files\Default Company\UPS.Deployment I want the intall program to put the default folder as: C:\Program Files\My Company\UPS I can't figure out how to make that work. In the primary output of the UPS.Deployment for the properties...

help with spliting data cells
I am looking for assistance with splitting data between cells. I have a column of data (first (space) last name). I need to split that column into two seperate columns so each name value is in it;s own cell and i end with 2 seperate columns. (john smith) to (john) (smith) Please advise if this is easy and can be done. Thanks, Phil pcavalcanto@Aol.com -- pcavalcanto ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pcavalcanto's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32212 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...

How do I create a graph from an equation and not a set of data?
How do I create a graph from an equation and not a set of data? Hi, Stephen Bullen has an example. See ChtFrmla within the Charting section. http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm The example file is, http://www.oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=ChtFrmla.zip Also see Tushar Mehta's Plot manager, http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html Cheers Andy ashemorry wrote: > How do I create a graph from an equation and not a set of data? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

How to wipe out HQ and SO data without the setting and paramters
Hi. Im planning to wipe out my database without clearing out its parameters and settings. I have an existing Store running on HQ and SO. I plan to change the barcodes for all items as they are inconsistent. Therefore i need to wipe out everything without the parameters and configuration settings. Can This be done? If so i need a detailed steps in doing this. This sounds very dangerous. What if you changed all your items so they start with a 'Z-' and then make all those items InActive, that way will not lose any Sales History? Then delete everything from the Alias table if you ar...

Cannot edit data in forms but can in tables
I have a problem! I created a database where I can only edit the data in tables. In the forms I created I can see the data but cannot edit the data. I am using 2007 that I have set so the file can be opened in 2003. The data was imported to create tables from two Excel spread sheets using the wizard. The tables are linked together and the combined data is shown in a report. This all works without a problem. Now I need to edit the data, so I created several forms all of which I cannot add, delete or edit the data. I saw under the User and Group Permissions that u...

Look at the corrective package for Windows
--ubbkrcyjejobmrvf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="tdycdogyhcjarny"; type="multipart/alternative" --tdycdogyhcjarny Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="moosycblfocgztsij" --moosycblfocgztsij Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabiliti...

Excel data query goes away.
I have a work book that gets information from an SQL database. About every two months the query goes away. Why? and how can I stop this from happening? ...

insert data from one excel file into another
Is there any way to insert data from one excel file into another without doing copy and pasting? I need to automate the process of inserting data but I cannot use copy-paste, because it puts data on a clipboard, and my Excel VBA program runs in a multi-user environment. So if one instance of a program is copying data into clipboard, and another instance is pasting it at the same time, it will paste incorrect data. Thank you Leonard. You'll need both spreadsheets open, but try this; Option Explicit Sub MyMacro() Dim MyVariable As String Windows("File2.xls").Ac...

Maximise Browser window
Hi An advice on the following would be appreciated. I have a command button on my form. In the hyperlink property of that button I have a http://www.google.co.uk. The link works fine but I would like to have the browser window opened to maximum size by default. Is this possible? if so how can it be done. TIA Tom ...

Pivot Table
I have 2 lists of 100 items (rows) with 5 data elements. Each list has a common element, which can tie the two lists together. How can I combine these 2 lists and use it for the source data of a pivot table? Todd ...

How can I import my data from Entourage for Macosx
I a moving from a Apple Mac computer and I want to move all my data from Entourage to Outlook Ken Allen <Ken Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I a moving from a Apple Mac computer and I want to move all my data > from Entourage to Outlook See if this helps: http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_platform/ -- Brian Tillman "Ken Allen" wrote: > I a moving from a Apple Mac computer and I want to move all my data from > Entourage to Outlook. Will these scripts move all my e-mails and attachments over to Outlook as well. Thank you for all your help. I h...

removing 0 value data labels
Hi All How would I remove 0 Value data labels from a chart using vb script? No need for VBA. You can make a custom number format for the labels. Select the whole set of labels, press CTRL+1 to format, and on the number format, select Custom in the left hand list, and add a format like one of these: 0;0;;@ 0.0;0.0;;@ There are four items in a custom format, by default the formats for positive, negative, and zero values, and for text. Leave off the format for zeros, and the label will not appear. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and C...

Data migration manager error
Hi, I am running migration manager for accounts, I am getting error on importing the file that - data migration manager cannot run furter, close and try again. I have tried several times , it is not functioning.Is there any service to be started. regards Ritesh ...

Windows XP Pro will not boot
When trying to restart Windows I get to the XP opening screen, then a popup box appears. It says "Autochk not found." then it restarts to the boot screen. No matter how I configure the settings, the CD drive, and the floppy drive will not start either the XP disc, or the setup discs. I am also not able to use the Western Digital disc to repartition the drive. I have a dual boot system with two hard drives. One, the primary, has WinXP Pro, and the other has Ubuntu 9.10. I can start Ubuntu, but am not able to get the PC to connect through the NIC to the modem. The pr...

Cannot access or restore my Money2005 data
I have backed up to a memory stick religiously. Nevertheless, I keep getting a popup message: "Exception Processing message c000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c" Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many additional data points are necessary to help. Examples: What version/edition of Money? What O/S? Under what conditions (what sequence of steps?) do you get this message? What happened (Internet Update, OS patch installation, Money reinstallation) when it started presenting itself? Do you get the same message trying the same sequence of steps in a new da...

print title page setup/sheet can not enter cell in row/column lin
On page setup in the sheet page we can not enter cells into the print titles row or columns. Also the worksheet cell query on these lines will not open. Hi Are you trying do this from Print Preview page, or File|Page Setup? I think it's only possible from the latter. -- Andy. "don r" <don r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26C400D7-14A0-41F8-BBE6-8DF2F5579A30@microsoft.com... > On page setup in the sheet page we can not enter cells into the print > titles > row or > columns. Also the worksheet cell query on these lines will not open. &g...

MFC windows for a player
I am writing a media player using MFC. I would like to have the style of WMP/Realplayer/QuickTime player which consist of three components: A application windows with menu A display windows A control panel with buttons Could someone suggest what MFC windows class (and architecture) should I use for this situation? Thanks. I am cursious as why not simply host the media player in your app instead of developing it? --------------------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Leesei" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#77PmIhmEHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>... > ...

Forcing a link to open in a new window
Sometimes when clicking a link, I want to force it to open in a new browser window. I know how to force a link to open in a new tab (ctrl+click or ctrl+shift+click), but is there an equivelant key combo that will force the link to open in a new browser window? Thanks. -- Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/ IE version? Windows version? Nathan Sokalski wrote: > Sometimes when clicking a link, I want to force it to open in a new > browser > window. I know how to force a link to open in a new tab (ctrl+click or > ctrl+shift+cli...

Button caption texts disappears after changing to Theme Windows XP
Hi, I have a simple dialog just for inputting text. This dialog has a input field, and OK Cancel button. In windows classic theme, everything is OK, but if the windows theme is changed to Windows XP, the texts on OK and Cancel buttons just disappear. The dialog's title is still there, BTW. What could be the reason? Thanks. To help your analysis, I give my codes here: #include "WhiteboardTextEntryDialog.h" #include "ComponentsID.h" #include "Data/ResourcesManager.h" BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(WhiteboardTextEntryDialog, SkinDialog) ON_BN_CLICKED( IDOK, onOKButto...

how do i reset data automatically? #2
ok...what i need to do is add mondays total to tuesday..then tuesdays to wednes days...and so on...then on sunday clear the workbook.but keep the totals thru the end of the month.... -- n8rboy1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ n8rboy1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15775 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=273794 ...