disable ctrl-C, caret and (*.*) in document-rich edit view architecture?

I need to make a rich edit viewer that will not allow changes or printing or
copying of data.

I thought the fastest way would be to create a RichEditView SDI application,
make the underlying CRichEditCtrl readonly and remove anything related to
copying, cutting, saving, selecting, etc.
I did all that, but ctrl-C still works. I removed all the menu items,
accelerators, etc that I could find. What can I override to capture and
filter ctrl-C?

Also, I would like the File Open dialog to only allow .memo files to be
opened. I created the project with only *.memo, but the project or windows
is adding in the (*.*).

Finally, I'd like to disable or hide the blinking caret. I called
HideCaret() in OnInitialUpdate() but it doesn't hide.

Thanks for any advice...

0
Bill
8/11/2005 3:38:53 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

"Bill Brehm >" <<don't want any spam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I need to make a rich edit viewer that will not allow changes or printing
>or
> copying of data.
>
> I thought the fastest way would be to create a RichEditView SDI
> application,
> make the underlying CRichEditCtrl readonly and remove anything related to
> copying, cutting, saving, selecting, etc.
> I did all that, but ctrl-C still works. I removed all the menu items,
> accelerators, etc that I could find. What can I override to capture and
> filter ctrl-C?
have you tried to override the WindowProc to capture the
ID_EDIT_COPY command?

> Also, I would like the File Open dialog to only allow .memo files to be
> opened. I created the project with only *.memo, but the project or windows
> is adding in the (*.*).
this ist not possible. The use can always enter another filemask or another
file name.

> Finally, I'd like to disable or hide the blinking caret. I called
> HideCaret() in OnInitialUpdate() but it doesn't hide.
Here I give up. You can try to hide the caret inside the OnSetFocus
or OnSetActive. But I'm not sure this will work.

> Thanks for any advice...

Regards
Martin Horst

0
horst (7)
8/11/2005 6:37:34 AM
1. I tried this. The function is being called and when Ctrl-C is pressed,
CRichEditView::WindowProc() is not being called. However, the highlighted
test is still being copied into the clipboard. I added WindowProc() to the
main frame too, but it is not capturing Ctrl-C. The message ID_EDIT_COPY is
not being captured.

LRESULT CMemoViewerView::WindowProc(UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM
lParam)
{
 // TODO: Add your specialized code here and/or call the base class
  switch(message)
  {
  case WM_CHAR:
    if(wParam == 3) // Ctrl-C
    {
      return 0;
    }
    else
    {
     return CRichEditView::WindowProc(message, wParam, lParam);
    }
    break;
  case ID_EDIT_COPY:
    {
      return 0;
    }
    break;
  default:
    {
     return CRichEditView::WindowProc(message, wParam, lParam);
    }
  }
}

2. I don't mind if the user types in some other extension. I just don't want
to (*.*) to be a visible option in the dropdown 'Files of Type:' control.
Any way to remove that?

3. I tried both those ideas and the caret is still present. Any ideas from
anyone else?

"Martin Horst" <horst@comnetmedia.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> "Bill Brehm >" <<don't want any spam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I need to make a rich edit viewer that will not allow changes or printing
>>or
>> copying of data.
>>
>> I thought the fastest way would be to create a RichEditView SDI
>> application,
>> make the underlying CRichEditCtrl readonly and remove anything related to
>> copying, cutting, saving, selecting, etc.
>> I did all that, but ctrl-C still works. I removed all the menu items,
>> accelerators, etc that I could find. What can I override to capture and
>> filter ctrl-C?
> have you tried to override the WindowProc to capture the
> ID_EDIT_COPY command?
>

>> Also, I would like the File Open dialog to only allow .memo files to be
>> opened. I created the project with only *.memo, but the project or
>> windows
>> is adding in the (*.*).
> this ist not possible. The use can always enter another filemask or
> another
> file name.
>

>> Finally, I'd like to disable or hide the blinking caret. I called
>> HideCaret() in OnInitialUpdate() but it doesn't hide.
> Here I give up. You can try to hide the caret inside the OnSetFocus
> or OnSetActive. But I'm not sure this will work.
>

>> Thanks for any advice...
>>

> Regards
> Martin Horst

0
Bill
8/11/2005 10:13:48 AM
You have to subclass the rich edit control and intercept the Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+X, and a
bunch of similar key combinations.  Also, you have to intercept WM_CUT, WM_PASTE, WM_COPY,
etc. and have empty bodies in those handlers.

I have no idea what this code is for; overriding the WindowProc seems a pointless
exercise, since you need to actually implement an OnChar handler (throw away your copy of
Petzold; clearly this is trying to emulate raw Win32 API programming, badly).

I have not tried to get rid of the caret.  Have you tried simply disabling the control?
This will make sure copy, cut and paste don't work, and the caret won't appear.
					joe

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:13:48 +0800, "Bill Brehm" <<don't want any spam>> wrote:

> [...]
>>> I did all that, but ctrl-C still works. I removed all the menu items,
>>> accelerators, etc that I could find. What can I override to capture and
>>> filter ctrl-C?
>> have you tried to override the WindowProc to capture the
>> ID_EDIT_COPY command?
>>

>>> Also, I would like the File Open dialog to only allow .memo files to be
>>> opened. I created the project with only *.memo, but the project or
>>> windows
>>> is adding in the (*.*).
>> this ist not possible. The use can always enter another filemask or
>> another
>> file name.
>>

>>> Finally, I'd like to disable or hide the blinking caret. I called
>>> HideCaret() in OnInitialUpdate() but it doesn't hide.
>> Here I give up. You can try to hide the caret inside the OnSetFocus
>> or OnSetActive. But I'm not sure this will work.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
8/11/2005 2:39:21 PM
"Bill Brehm >" wrote:

> 2. I don't mind if the user types in some other extension. I just don't want
> to (*.*) to be a visible option in the dropdown 'Files of Type:' control.
> Any way to remove that?

Have you tried:

CFileDialog dlg( TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_HIDEREADONLY | OFN_EXPLORER |
OFN_ENABLESIZING | OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT , _T("Memo Files|*.memo||") );

It should work!!

Ale
0
Ale (83)
8/11/2005 7:15:03 PM
Dear Bill,

MFC has a function for this called PreTranslateMessage(). Simply override
the CWnd (or CWinApp) function, filter out what you want, then call the base
class's PreTranslateMessage() , (or not).

This type of thing is described in the Microsoft documentation under the
broader category of "Subclassing" windows. I am thinking that the example in
the following link might be useful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vcsample/html/_sample_mfc_CTRLTEST.asp

"Bill Brehm >" wrote:
> I need to make a rich edit viewer that will not allow changes or printing or
> copying of data.
>
> I thought the fastest way would be to create a RichEditView SDI application,
> make the underlying CRichEditCtrl readonly and remove anything related to
> copying, cutting, saving, selecting, etc.
> I did all that, but ctrl-C still works. I removed all the menu items,
> accelerators, etc that I could find. What can I override to capture and
> filter ctrl-C?

0
AVee (83)
8/12/2005 3:27:47 PM
I was making a test suggested by another replier.

I did try disabling the control near the very beginning. But it made it too
hard to read the text, so I opted to try to do a better job by leaving it
enabled and disabling the parts I want disabled.

I will give your subclass idea a try...

> [...]
>>}
>>
>>2. I don't mind if the user types in some other extension. I just don't
>>want
>>to (*.*) to be a visible option in the dropdown 'Files of Type:' control.
>>Any way to remove that?
>>
>>3. I tried both those ideas and the caret is still present. Any ideas from
>>anyone else?
>>

>>"Martin Horst" <horst@comnetmedia.de> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> "Bill Brehm >" <<don't want any spam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> have you tried to override the WindowProc to capture the
>>> ID_EDIT_COPY command?

>>> this ist not possible. The use can always enter another filemask or
>>> another
>>> file name.

>>> Here I give up. You can try to hide the caret inside the OnSetFocus
>>> or OnSetActive. But I'm not sure this will work.

Bill

Reinstalling MS Office Small Buisness Edition, 2003
When reinstalling MS Office 2003 from the orginal CD, it states a PA561401.CAB file is missing. How can I retrieve this file if it's not on the installtion disk? Dave Is your CD an OEM version or a full MS version. If the product key contains the letters OEM then post back -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:224E1F6F-7FF7-44F0-8973-A4974CB9AC0D@microsoft.com... > When reinstalling MS Offic...

Upgrading to 9.0 on Windows Server 2003 64bit Edition
We are upgrading from 7.0 to 9.0. We have new SQL Servers on which we will perform the upgrade and move into production once complete replacing our existing servers. These SQL Servers are running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition. When attempting to install either GP v7.0 or v7.5 the error message "The image file ...\CDSetup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine." is presented and the installation script will not initialize. Is it possible to install GP 7.0 or 7.5 on the 64bit version of Windows Server 2003 or must we install the 32 bit v...

Cannot view file after double clicking on a file with 2007
Also, when I load excel, or word. When I click on the main menu button up in the left corner it doesn't show up. Granted it is Windows XP, but we have 394 machines give or take and they all work fine in Office. And they are all identical software setups. "Chris" wrote: > Also, when I load excel, or word. When I click on the main menu button up in > the left corner it doesn't show up. Another thing, I called Microsoft support today and some woman named Vija answered the phone. She was telling me with the file not showing up until clicking the balloon this is how...

Outlook 2007, proofing options greyed out in Editing Options dialog
I've just uninstalled the Office 2007 trial and installed a retail copy of Outlook 2007. For reasons I won't go into I've reverted to Office 2000, with the exception of Outlook, which didn't work with Vista. While the Outlook editor still autocorrects spelling mistakes, I noticed it isn't underlining unknown words in red any more. When I go into the Editor Options and select Proofing, all the options in the Microsoft Office Section are available to me, but the Outlook specific ones are all greyed out. Moreover, in neither of these sections is there a "Hide spe...

Viewing messages #2
When I get e-mail and try to view the messages, they never come up. Can someone help me? Not yet. State your Outlook version, the type of mail transport you are using, whether you are using a preview pane or opening the message, etc. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Wleef33 asked: | When I get e-mail and try to view the messages, they | never come ...

ESM
Hi, I created some Public folders in OL 2003 before Xmas no problems as I am the administrator for the local domains server & Exchange admin. Today I tried to create additonal folders form my LAN XP machine but continually receive the error of: Unable to create the folder. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator. When I look at the folder properties in OL I see the folder contact is NT USER:S-1-5-21-606747145-1682526488-682003330-1109 but I have no idea who that is...or was more likely! If I then g...

Disable OWA 2003
Can i do that? On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:12:58 +0800, "Super" <ss> wrote: >Can i do that? > For everyone? Stop the HTTP virtual server for that server in ESM. Hi andy, Thx, after reboot the server, http virtual server auto start up again, how can disable it which reboot the server? "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> ???????:0qhi22pa7l33ojkmgfchs9upr99a8jqanc@4ax.com... > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:12:58 +0800, "Super" <ss> wrote: > >>Can i do that? >> > > > For everyone? > Stop the ...

documental manage system
hello, anybody knows some documents or study about integration with sharepoint to have a documental manage system? thank you as starting solution i think about a simple integration with capability to store document from crm into sharepoint and some search capability to find these documents from crm. "Jim Daly [MSFT]" <jdaly@online.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:A9DAFCF2-E06A-4457-A0AC-209F22797BF8@microsoft.com... > What kind of business process do you have in mind? > What information do users need to see? > What kind of documents will they b...

Using skins in a multiline edit box
Hi, I have a dialog based application, in which I have a multi-line edit control. In the edit control, I would like to have a background image, say some .bmp file. Some status messages are to be displayed in the edit control, based on certain user actions in the dialog. How do I go about this? Thanks, Sucharit you can do it, i think, if you were to create a class which inherited from the edit control, then in the override the OnDraw()/OnPaint() event, where you first get the rect, and draw your bitmap resource, then call the parent event method to do the rest... I don't know if t...

pass parameters back from C/C++ to JScript
Hi, all I import Microsoft Webbrowser Control to my VC6 MFC project and customize the web browser with my own doc handler. The following is the implemenation: ICustomDoc * pCustdoc; m_WebBrowser.GetDocument()->QueryInterface(&pCustdoc); // m_WebBrowser is an instance of Microsoft Webbrowser Control if (pCustdoc) { pCustdoc->SetUIHandler(m_pDocHandler); // m_pDocHandler is my doc handler for the web browser. pCustdoc->Release(); } Then I can call C/C++ functions from web page JScript, such as: external.MyFunc("abcdef"). In this way, I can pass parameters fr...

I can't print Excel document on legal size paper even with correc.
I have checked my settings, but I cannot print my worksheet on 8 1/2X14 legal size paper. Can anyone give me suggestions on why this would be happening? I can print documents that are letter size with no problem. I am using Microsoft Office 2003 with Windows XP. Thanks Choose Page Setup from the File drop down menu. Click on the Page tab and change the "Letter" to "Legal" >-----Original Message----- >I have checked my settings, but I cannot print my worksheet on 8 1/2X14 legal >size paper. Can anyone give me suggestions on why this would be happening? I >...

Do I need Publisher installed to read/edit articles in an e-mail?
I will be receiving e-mails with attachments containing Publisher2002 created articles. Do I need to have Publisher 2002 or later editions in order to read and edit these e-mail articles? On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:20:03 +0000, quilter512 wrote (in article <E5DAA762-0ABA-49C2-8DDB-9A0D05162496@microsoft.com>): > I will be receiving e-mails with attachments containing Publisher2002 created > articles. Do I need to have Publisher 2002 or later editions in order to > read and edit these e-mail articles? You can answer your own question by STFW. You not heard of Google Grou...

Any idea how to delete a custom portfolio view???
Anytime I select a custom portfolio view within Money 06 Deluxe Trial, it crashes Money and I have to reinstall (and not select that particular view) in order to use the Portfolio Manager function w/in Money. Money '05 Deluxe did the same thing, hence my "upgrade" to '06 Deluxe Trial. In what I thought was more than a strange coincidence, the same thing happened when I used Money online through MSN. It crashed Internet Explorer and now if I select Portfolio online, Internet Explorer must close. Any potential solutions other than deleting the view are most welcome. Thanks...

Outlook lockes when promoting or viewing a promoted email
I have a user whose Outlook locks up for 30-45 minutes if he clicks on the CRM button in the toolbar, opens an email that is tracked in crm, or tries to promote an email to CRM. Also, when Outlook opens now and again Outlook reports a problem with the CRM addin, and it seems to remove it to start outlook correctly. We have completely removed the CRM client and it's entire database and did a complete clean install. This problem still occurs. I am going to check the .net framework version today, create a new Outlook profile, and a few other hints I have found online. But I could use som...

double display in the Watch view with VC++6 sp6
Hi, Since the install of Visual Studio service pack 6 the double display differe in the Watch window of example before (with vc++ sp5) -7701.7701 give in the window -7701.7701 now (with the sp6) in obtain -7701.7700999999997 Thanks Why is this an issue? It strikes me as a bit of concern over an irrelevancy. Floating point isn't accurate anyway, so there is no particular reason to be concerned about trivial differences like this. joe On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:39:11 +0200, "Olivier" <olive@nospam.fr> wrote: >Hi, > >Since the install of Visual Studio service ...

Document extra check was printed and mark it void
I'm trying to figure out how to tell GP8 that an extra check was printed but we need it to be void. We printed checks today and accidently printed 1 more than we should have. Since we used that check number, GP will move on to the next one. We want to be able to go into GP and document that we did print that check but it should be void. Does that make sense to anyone? Did that exra check print on a check or on blank paper. Do you want to re-use that check number? I'm not 100% with GP 8, but in 10 you just go to "Void Historical Transactions" and void the check. ...

How to disable the "implicit mx record" in Exchange
I am having a problem with exchange sending to hosts in recipient domains where these hosts are not actually mail servers. After a lot of review of the SMTP logs, I realized that sometimes Exchange is sending to the correct MX record host, and sometimes it is sending to the host with the A record for the actual domain. When I say the record for the domain, I mean an A record that refences the bare domain name rather than an individual host in the domain. So when Exchange gets a DNS timeout looking up an MX record, it falls back to sending to the domain A record. This causes an immed...

Trying to create completely server side, document merge
I was given the task of designing a complete web based document prep system. In simplest terms (using a msword explanation) create a database of merge fields, and a library of templates. Allow the webuser to select the template, merge his DB record, and produce a formatted document that can be printed or downloaded. We need to do this without specialized software on the client, since it will be universally available to webusers. We considered using PDF, but the creation of the templates were painfully slow, and the datamerge had severe space limitations (the form could not adequately...

Require Password to View Worksheet
I have a workbook with 12 worksheets. One of them contains data that i not for all to see. I'd like to require a password to view this on worksheet while leaving the remaining sheets open to all. Right now I' just hiding it, but I'd like to make it more secure. Any ideas? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you protect the windows structure (tools|protect workbook), then that worksheet can't be shown (until the workbook is unprotected). The bad news is that there is code posted every day to do just that. If you really want to protect the info on that...

Disabling Microsoft Money Background Banking Service (mnybbsvc.exe) in 2007
I found the instructions for 2008, which is a simple check box in the settings, but is there any way to disable it in earlier versions? In microsoft.public.money, Milhouse Van Houten wrote: >I found the instructions for 2008, which is a simple check box in the >settings, but is there any way to disable it in earlier versions? You could remove your LiveID. ...

Simple MFC/C++ development question
I want to develop a simple GUI utiliy using C++/MFC. I mostly develop for Linux using Java/C and I am used to used Sun's JDK and GNU's C compiler running under Linux. My question is where can I get a minimum set tools I need to develop a MFC application. I don't really want an IDE (i.e. VC++6) - what I'm after is a compiler and the header/libraries to link my MFC based utility against. I will use my favourite editor to enter the code. TIA Paul. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I want to develop a simple GUI utiliy using C++/MFC. > > I mostly d...

Edit control
Hi, I have a dialog window to display as modal, in the dialog , there is a edit control, the focus is in edit control, I want to catch the enter key when user press enter in edit control, but the dialog close when I press enter key(I donot want to close the dialog). How can I catch the enter pressed message in dialog? Thanks Jessie Hi Jassie, Note that any time you press enter and if the focus is in an edit ctrl the CDialog::OnOk() func will be called. If you override CYourDlg::OnOk, it means that this func will be called, and, of course, it contains the call of CDialog::OnOk. Hence, y...

Cannot view print preview of HTML messages after IE7 uninstall
I can no longer view a print preview of HTML messages in OUtlook 2003 after uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2. Anyone know how to fix this? Have you tried reinstalling IE7 Beta 2? Patrick Schmid "QaT" <QaT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8662AD3-5552-4B70-967C-E602E792C439@microsoft.com... >I can no longer view a print preview of HTML messages in OUtlook 2003 after > uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2. Anyone know how to fix this? Yes, and still does not work. Very annoying. Might Windows Repair fix this issue? "Patrick Schmid&...

Editing phone numbers?
(Win XP, Outlook 2003) - I'm all of a sudden starting to have a problem when I add or change a phone number in a contact. I'm connected via LAN, not dialup, and no settings have changed. Yet when I put in a phone number I get the Location Information dialog box (this box: http://www.babcockancestry.com/storage/outlookproblemlocationinfo.jpg). I can NOT get out of it in any way except using the task manager to End Task, which of course does not save the contact. If I try to cancel in the dialog, it just keeps coming back. Any changes except phone numbers work fine. It's only when I...

Access 2000... how to import a word document?
I am told Access will allow inport of a Word document by converting the document to Rich Text w/delimiter, then into Access. Does that not work with Access 2000? It depends what you mean by "import a Word document". If you have data in a table in a Word document, convert the table to text, paste the text into a new file, and save it as plain (not rich) text; then import the text file into Access. Alternatively, paste the table into Excel, save in Excel or CSV format, and import the resulting file into Access. Which of these works best depends on just what's in the data. ...