Direct Access I/O ports under Windows 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C38907.AAF0A5A0

Hi all,

Our application deals with ISA card directly through IO port address. It =
is working under Win98, but not Win2000.
The problem is I/O privilege access controlled by Windows 2000.

I am doing research to see if possible to update the current source code =
for Win2000.

The current source code simply includes <conio.h> and uses _inp(...) and =
_outp(...) to deal directly with hardware. The method is direct access =
not thourgh a device driver.

Is there any way to get Win2000 allow to access directly IO ports
Any supporting function to use such as:
   LetMeAccessDirectPort(0x555);
        then _inp(..)  _outp(...) directly
   LetCloseAccessPort(0x555);

Do you know any solution or trick?

Thank you,

Ben

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C38907.AAF0A5A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Our application deals with ISA card =
directly=20
through IO port address. It is working under Win98, but not=20
Win2000.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The problem is </FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial size=3D2>I/O=20
privilege access controlled by Windows 2000.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am doing research to see if possible =
to update=20
the current source code for Win2000.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The current source code simply includes =

&lt;conio.h&gt; and uses _inp(...) and _outp(...) to deal directly with=20
hardware. The method is direct access not thourgh a device =
driver.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there any way to get Win2000 allow =
to access=20
directly IO ports</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any supporting function to =
use&nbsp;such=20
as:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
LetMeAccessDirectPort(0x555);</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
then=20
_inp(..)&nbsp; _outp(...) directly</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;LetCloseAccessPort(0x555);</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Do you know any solution or =
trick?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ben</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C38907.AAF0A5A0--

0
tainhan (14)
10/3/2003 12:07:32 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:07:32 -0700, "Ben" <tainhan@ureach.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Our application deals with ISA card directly through IO port address. It is working under Win98, but not Win2000.
>The problem is I/O privilege access controlled by Windows 2000.
>
>I am doing research to see if possible to update the current source code for Win2000.
>
>The current source code simply includes <conio.h> and uses _inp(...) and _outp(...) to deal directly with hardware. The method is direct access not thourgh a device driver.
>
>Is there any way to get Win2000 allow to access directly IO ports
>Any supporting function to use such as:
>   LetMeAccessDirectPort(0x555);
>        then _inp(..)  _outp(...) directly
>   LetCloseAccessPort(0x555);
>

>Do you know any solution or trick?

Install the driver giveio.sys.

I just spent a few seconds on google and I couldn't immediately find a
source for it (it is freeware), but you really need it so you will
have the motivation to plow through all the references.

I got it years ago from a Dr Dobbs article.  Search their site and it
is probably there.

I do not believe this is possible.  I discovered this as well using the
exact _inp/_outp functions you describe.  NT doesn't allow this for a
multitude of reasons- hence its stability over os's like 95/98.  I believe
that you must write your own device driver.  There are articles on the web
for doing just this, hopefully someone here can give you more specific
direction than I can.

Paul

Ben wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our application deals with ISA card directly through IO port address. It is working under Win98, but not Win2000.
> The problem is I/O privilege access controlled by Windows 2000.
>
> I am doing research to see if possible to update the current source code for Win2000.
>
> Do you know any solution or trick?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ben

There are many freeware device drivers that you can use to access I/O
port addresses in Win2000.  See the links at http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

The one called DriverLINX has worked well for me.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp (342)

------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C389CD.C7D8A1B0

  "Ben" <tainhan@ureach.com> a =E9crit dans le message de news: =
OFjhPJUiDHA.1296@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
  Hi all,

  Our application deals with ISA card directly through IO port address. =
It is working under Win98, but not Win2000.
  The problem is I/O privilege access controlled by Windows 2000.

  Search on Internet for "UserPort from Tomas Franzon". It's very good, =
I use this.
  Jack
------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C389CD.C7D8A1B0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"Ben" &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:tainhan@ureach.com">tainhan@ureach.com</A>&gt;=20
  a =E9crit dans le message de news: <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:OFjhPJUiDHA.1296@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl">OFjhPJUiDHA.1296@tk=
2msftngp13.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Our application deals with ISA card =
directly=20
  through IO port address. It is working under Win98, but not=20
  Win2000.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The problem is </FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial size=3D2>I/O=20
  privilege access controlled by Windows 2000.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Search on Internet for "UserPort from =
Tomas=20
  Franzon". It's very good, I use this.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Jack</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C389CD.C7D8A1B0--

0
alvend (6)
10/3/2003 2:45:41 PM
Hi NorMan,

It is a woderful information!

So far I got giveio.sys. I haven't got the general ideal on how to use it
yet.
My guess is giveio will be started as window service and  watch for any
direct IO Acceess.

So I am able to keep my current code without changing any thing?

Thing to do is setup giveio to allow access to my port Address ? If so, how
can I do that?

Very appriciated your help!

Thank you,

Ben

"r norman" <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:07:32 -0700, "Ben" <tainhan@ureach.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Our application deals with ISA card directly through IO port address. It
is working under Win98, but not Win2000.
> >The problem is I/O privilege access controlled by Windows 2000.
> >
> >I am doing research to see if possible to update the current source code
for Win2000.

> >The current source code simply includes <conio.h> and uses _inp(...) and
_outp(...) to deal directly with hardware. The method is direct access not
thourgh a device driver.

> >Is there any way to get Win2000 allow to access directly IO ports
> >Any supporting function to use such as:
> >   LetMeAccessDirectPort(0x555);
> >        then _inp(..)  _outp(...) directly
> >   LetCloseAccessPort(0x555);
> >

> >Do you know any solution or trick?
> >

> Install the driver giveio.sys.
>
> I just spent a few seconds on google and I couldn't immediately find a
> source for it (it is freeware), but you really need it so you will
> have the motivation to plow through all the references.
>
> I got it years ago from a Dr Dobbs article.  Search their site and it
> is probably there.

0
tainhan (14)
10/3/2003 5:01:55 PM
Here is a reference to how to do it.  This describes using the utility
instdrv.exe to install the giveio.sys as a system service.  Once that
is done, your program using _inp and _outp works without changing
anything.

http://www.physik.rwth-aachen.de/group/IIIphys/CMS/tracker/en/silicon/arcs_nt.html

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:01:55 -0700, "Ben" <tainhan@ureach.com> wrote:

>Hi NorMan,
>
>It is a woderful information!
>
>So far I got giveio.sys. I haven't got the general ideal on how to use it
>yet.
>My guess is giveio will be started as window service and  watch for any
>direct IO Acceess.
>
>So I am able to keep my current code without changing any thing?
>
>Thing to do is setup giveio to allow access to my port Address ? If so, how
>can I do that?
>
>Very appriciated your help!
>
>Thank you,
>
>Ben
>
>"r norman" <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:07:32 -0700, "Ben" <tainhan@ureach.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >Our application deals with ISA card directly through IO port address. It
>is working under Win98, but not Win2000.
>> >The problem is I/O privilege access controlled by Windows 2000.
>> >
>> >I am doing research to see if possible to update the current source code
>for Win2000.
>> >
>> >The current source code simply includes <conio.h> and uses _inp(...) and
>_outp(...) to deal directly with hardware. The method is direct access not
>thourgh a device driver.
>> >
>> >Is there any way to get Win2000 allow to access directly IO ports
>> >Any supporting function to use such as:
>> >   LetMeAccessDirectPort(0x555);
>> >        then _inp(..)  _outp(...) directly
>> >   LetCloseAccessPort(0x555);
>> >

>> >Do you know any solution or trick?
>> >

>> Install the driver giveio.sys.
>>
>> I just spent a few seconds on google and I couldn't immediately find a
>> source for it (it is freeware), but you really need it so you will
>> have the motivation to plow through all the references.
>>
>> I got it years ago from a Dr Dobbs article.  Search their site and it
>> is probably there.

Window Redirection?

open two different Access reports

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

compact database in VBA access 2007

Outlook 2000 running on XP
After setting up a mail account and indicating that I want all passwords remembered I constantly get promoted to enter a password when I send and/or receive mail. I have clicked remember password in all dialoges during the setup process and via the Properties dialog following the creation of the account. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatfully accepted Thanks "Ross Andrews" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1fb4801c45886$24eab500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After setting up a mail account and indicating that I > want all passwords reme...

LDAP Write access?

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

MS Access 2007 code not running

RPC Over HTTP on Single Server

Updating External Links Excel 2000 vs 2002/2003

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

Active Directory , Windows 2003 SBS to Windows 2008 SBS
Hello! I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a new Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to ''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure that nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i have a...

Outlook 98 Crashes in Windows NT
I have a few Windows NT machines that Outlook 98 crashes on with a Dr. Watson error - almost always when the user is typing an e-mail. I have tried re-installing, creating a new outlook profile, and replacing various files related to Outlook 98, but nothing seems to work. It is very important to note that I have many other users who have Windows NT and Outlook 98 on our network that do not have a problem at all. Can anyone decipher the Dr. Watson error message below? Thanks in advance. Microsoft (R) Windows NT (TM) Version 4.00 DrWtsn32 Copyright (C) 1985-1996 Microsoft Corp. All rights r...

display in taskbar in excel 2000
Hello, Have a problem! I work with Office 2000 and excel does not open more than onw screen in the taskbar. Windows in Taskbar, I checked in Excel. Clustered display is turned off in the properties of the Taskbar. Can anyone help me with this problem prog, get it only if I 2x open excel. Regards Rob Hi Rob, I can't figure out what exactly what is happening in your excel but try this, Go to TOOLS (Menu Bar) then OPTIONS, in VIEW tab just CHECK the Windows in Taskbar. Hope this will help. ~jaeson ...

Can't use openURL or access internet on some locations
I have previously raised a question where openUrl threw an exception in a specific office location. However the problem I have now is that the application just freeze when I call openURL. It seems as it is waiting for something. This only happens at one company so far the company does have a proxy but so do I at work and I have no problems. I have also tried the Microsoft TEAR sample and it behaves the exact same way, it says "Opening internet...Connection made" and then it just stops. If I run it on my computer it gets the webpage and everything finishes ok. I have tried to set t...

Automatically open Detail Entry Window
In SOP Transcation Entry, I'd like the Sales Customer Detail Entry window to open automatically after the customer ID is selected. Is this possible? How would I go about doing this with Modifier or VBA? Extender would come in very handy. You don't need to write a single code. Record a macro using GP macro and embed it on the SOP Entry window using Extender. "Elaine" wrote: > In SOP Transcation Entry, I'd like the Sales Customer Detail Entry window to > open automatically after the customer ID is selected. Is this possible? How > would I go about doi...