dial a telephone number using the modem,and playing an audio file when the person lifts up telepone

I wanted to make a vb application which would dial a telephone number using
the modem. When the person on the other end lifts up the telephone (answers
the phone), the application should start playing an audio file(eg. .wav
file).

The approach I took was using the Tapi. As my modem is connected to the
serial port on my computer I send AT commands to make the phone call . This
is working fine and the call is being placed.

I wanted to know whether this is possible at all? Whether I am approaching
the wrong way? If it is possible, then please give some suggestions or
samples(vb or vc). If it is not possible , then what is the best way to do
so

0
sunnfcn (1)
8/30/2005 1:07:08 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

what you are trying to do is technically impossible - forget about this
application and move on to real, worthwhile work.

the last thing i need is another dumb machine trying to figure out if i am
at home so they can have a real person continue the annoyance with some
unsolicited offer of something that i do not need.

if you really want to do this, forget about modems and tapi, and switch to
the dialogic dti/241sc hardware and use a isdn/pri interface

rlf

"sunnf" <sunnfcn@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message
> I wanted to make a vb application which would dial a telephone number
using
> the modem. When the person on the other end lifts up the telephone
(answers
> the phone), the application should start playing an audio file(eg. .wav
> file).
>
> The approach I took was using the Tapi. As my modem is connected to the
> serial port on my computer I send AT commands to make the phone call .
This
> is working fine and the call is being placed.
>
> I wanted to know whether this is possible at all? Whether I am approaching
> the wrong way? If it is possible, then please give some suggestions or
> samples(vb or vc). If it is not possible , then what is the best way to do
> so

0
rlfine2314 (19)
8/30/2005 1:59:28 AM
>I wanted to make a vb application which would dial a telephone number using
> the modem. When the person on the other end lifts up the telephone
> (answers
> the phone), the application should start playing an audio file(eg. .wav
> file).
>
> The approach I took was using the Tapi. As my modem is connected to the
> serial port on my computer I send AT commands to make the phone call .
> This
> is working fine and the call is being placed.
>
> I wanted to know whether this is possible at all? Whether I am approaching
> the wrong way? If it is possible, then please give some suggestions or
> samples(vb or vc). If it is not possible , then what is the best way to do
> so

And why would you want to do that? Would it be to make 100's of unsolicited
phone calls?
I, for one, hate those kind of calls and I am glad to hear that BT, (in the
UK), is clamping down on that kind of practice.

Simon.

Hi Sunnf,

This sort of thing would best be handled by a DSP based solution.  You
need a DTMF library, a codec to attach your sound card output to, code
that can detect answer supervision on the phone line, and an RS232
connection to your PC so that you can issue dialing commands and tell
it when to bridge the codec onto the phone circuit.

You need an electrical engineer who can tell you what pieces to buy.
Doing it the right way would cost considerable amounts of cash for R &
D however.

Or you could get and EE student to hand wire a homebrew project for
you.  The sound card output is analog but needs ampification.  Then
you need to go offhook on an extension when you get answer supervision
from the central office (CO).

Cheers,

- Kurt

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:07:08 +0800, "sunnf" <sunnfcn@yahoo.com.cn>
wrote:

>I wanted to make a vb application which would dial a telephone number using
>the modem. When the person on the other end lifts up the telephone (answers
>the phone), the application should start playing an audio file(eg. .wav
>file).
>
>The approach I took was using the Tapi. As my modem is connected to the
>serial port on my computer I send AT commands to make the phone call . This
>is working fine and the call is being placed.
>
>I wanted to know whether this is possible at all? Whether I am approaching
>the wrong way? If it is possible, then please give some suggestions or
>samples(vb or vc). If it is not possible , then what is the best way to do
>so

It's possible, but you're not going to make many friends doing it.  Also, if
you're looking for VB code this is not the right forum as mostly we discuss
MFC topics here (I apologize if this is cross-posted and I just didn't see
that it was in the right place as well).

You would need some sort of hardware to help you with this program since you
won't be able to do anything except check for an answer with a modem.  There
are some modems that can detect "VOICE" and send that back as a response,
but the technology is not perfect and people aren't putting a lot of effort
into dial up modems these days.

Tom

"sunnf" <sunnfcn@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message
>I wanted to make a vb application which would dial a telephone number using
> the modem. When the person on the other end lifts up the telephone
> (answers
> the phone), the application should start playing an audio file(eg. .wav
> file).
>
> The approach I took was using the Tapi. As my modem is connected to the
> serial port on my computer I send AT commands to make the phone call .
> This
> is working fine and the call is being placed.
>
> I wanted to know whether this is possible at all? Whether I am approaching
> the wrong way? If it is possible, then please give some suggestions or
> samples(vb or vc). If it is not possible , then what is the best way to do
> so

0
tserface (3861)