Database path from DSN (MSDE) (2nd. attempt)

I'm trying to get the full path of my .mdf database from a DSN on a
shared WinXP drive (running MSDE).
I've tried the following: (using MFC6, SP6)

SQLGetInfo(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_DATABASE_NAME, &sMyDatabase, lSize,
&bytesreturned);
SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_CURRENT_QUALIFIER,  &sMyDatabase,
lSize, &lLengthReturned);
SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_ATTR_CURRENT_CATALOG,
&sMyDatabase, lSize, &lLengthReturned);

All the functions return the name of the database but not the path.
The path is not in the registry so I can't use those functions either.
Any help would be very much appreciated
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The path is in the master database... There can be multiple paths...

try running a query as follows:

select filename from master..sysdatabases where name = 'your db name'

Now comes the question: Why on earth would you want to know that in a client
application? This tends to indicate to me that you are possibly not using
the right tool for the right job. Nothing on the client side needs to know
this and should not know this for normal applications (security) ==> not a
normal application.

- Tim

"Peter Scholl" <delete.this.pscholl@freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get the full path of my .mdf database from a DSN on a
> shared WinXP drive (running MSDE).
> I've tried the following: (using MFC6, SP6)
>
> SQLGetInfo(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_DATABASE_NAME, &sMyDatabase, lSize,
> &bytesreturned);
> SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_CURRENT_QUALIFIER,  &sMyDatabase,
> lSize, &lLengthReturned);
> SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_ATTR_CURRENT_CATALOG,
> &sMyDatabase, lSize, &lLengthReturned);
>
> All the functions return the name of the database but not the path.
> The path is not in the registry so I can't use those functions either.
> Any help would be very much appreciated

0
Tim
6/22/2005 8:01:35 AM
Tim,
Unfortunately only the local path of the db on the server is returned
(d:\databases\TestDB.mdf), I don't get multiple paths. However, if I
put the name of the server obtained from the registry (or other APIs)
in front, and remove the ":" I can construct the path. I'll experiment
with this idea and am thankful for your reply.

>Now comes the question: Why on earth would you want to know that in a client
>application?
Well, maybe there's a better solution, but my application has to be
*extremely* simple from the maintenance, installation and operation
point of view. i.e. 100% maintenance free and I need to lock the DB -
here's a rather lengthy explanation why.
An "End-of-Day" is selected manually every day (very often by someone
with absolutely no IT experience) and the DB must be locked for about
5-15 minutes for the automated daily postings and internal date change
etc. Since there's no way to manually lock the DB (I use ODBC, no DAO)
I use the old "lockfile" trick with a file located in the same path as
the DB. This is opened in exclusive mode during the EOD and shared
mode in all other cases. This is why I need the full path to the DB.
If you know of a better solution that would work on Access97+ *and*
MSDE I'm open to ideas.
BTW, the application runs on Win98 upwards. It is *not* client/server
but all workstations communicate real-time with each other using
socket connections. Works on single pc, peer-to-peer or domain.

Thanks again for your reply,
Peter

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:01:35 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote:

>The path is in the master database... There can be multiple paths...
>
>try running a query as follows:
>
>select filename from master..sysdatabases where name = 'your db name'
>
>Now comes the question: Why on earth would you want to know that in a client
>application? This tends to indicate to me that you are possibly not using
>the right tool for the right job. Nothing on the client side needs to know
>this and should not know this for normal applications (security) ==> not a
>normal application.
>
>- Tim
>

>"Peter Scholl" <delete.this.pscholl@freesurf.ch> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get the full path of my .mdf database from a DSN on a
>> shared WinXP drive (running MSDE).
>> I've tried the following: (using MFC6, SP6)
>>
>> SQLGetInfo(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_DATABASE_NAME, &sMyDatabase, lSize,
>> &bytesreturned);
>> SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_CURRENT_QUALIFIER,  &sMyDatabase,
>> lSize, &lLengthReturned);
>> SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_ATTR_CURRENT_CATALOG,
>> &sMyDatabase, lSize, &lLengthReturned);
>>
>> All the functions return the name of the database but not the path.
>> The path is not in the registry so I can't use those functions either.
>> Any help would be very much appreciated

In access, open the database exclusively. If the open exclusive fails you
know someone else is in still and they should log off.

In SQL Server, have a table that has a field that indicates all uses should
log off / no users can log on - noly the Admin can logon to do one thing in
this state -> daily rollover & reset the flag. Whenever a user logs on to
the application, if they are not logging on as Admin, it denies the logon by
checking this table. If a user is logged on, if the open a new firm to try
to start new work when the flag is set, they are told to finish their work
and log off. Perhaps use 2 fields in the table: LogoffRequired and
DailyRolloverInProgress.

Personally, I think you should design out the processes you have and the
need for the rollover concept. This kind of processing should have died out
by 1990. Having a DB Lock function also requires a DB unlock function for
admins in the application & this is prone to misuse.

I do appreciate that some systems do require the abillity to for example
edit data once entered to correct anomalies before it is posted. I have seen
banking systems that do this and nearly fell off my chair when it was
demonstrated as a good thing only recently. A better and different
philosophy is to post all transactions and require Reversals and Adjustment
postings so never - this leaves and audit trail in place and reducing the
chance for fraud. At the same time educating the people paying you can be
risky - if they are used to doing something that way and have done so for
years they often will not listen to the voice of sense and reason... unless
you talk about fraud.

What sort of path did you expect? The files are on the server so should be
relative to the server. In terms of access time, using a table in the
database (SQL Server) will be exceedingly faster and more secure.

The only conceivable time you might normally want to lock an Access DB is
when you take an automated backup - whatever you do, make sure you use the
Compact to backup file step first, *do not* copy the file then do a compact
and replace the original as the copy will often work if there is a user
still updating data in Access resulting in a backup file that is corrupt
(the mdb file is open for shared write, shared read). Doing the Compact
first requires exclusive access to the DB so guarantees the data has
integrity. You do not need to lock a SQL Server DB ever under normal
operation even for a backup operation - again, design out this requirement.

Post back if you need more input.

HTH

> [...]
>>this and should not know this for normal applications (security) ==> not a
>>normal application.
>>
>>- Tim
>>

>>"Peter Scholl" <delete.this.pscholl@freesurf.ch> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to get the full path of my .mdf database from a DSN on a
>>> shared WinXP drive (running MSDE).
>>> I've tried the following: (using MFC6, SP6)
>>>
>>> SQLGetInfo(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_DATABASE_NAME, &sMyDatabase, lSize,
>>> &bytesreturned);
>>> SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_CURRENT_QUALIFIER,  &sMyDatabase,
>>> lSize, &lLengthReturned);
>>> SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_ATTR_CURRENT_CATALOG,
>>> &sMyDatabase, lSize, &lLengthReturned);
>>>
>>> All the functions return the name of the database but not the path.
>>> The path is not in the registry so I can't use those functions either.

6/22/2005 10:28:30 PM
Tim,
Thank you very much for taking the time for such a detailed reply.
Using CDatabase, it is not possible to open Access in exclusive mode.
Or have I missed something elementary here? This is the reason for the
"Lockfile".
In an earlier implementation, I did, in fact, make use of a table with
a lock field using MsAccess (I didn't continue testing with SQL
Server). However, this led to problems if the user switched off the pc
in the middle of the "End-of-Day" (pretty common practice!). The
record remained locked (like you said - every lock requires an unlock)
- and I had telephone calls at 4 AM in the morning! After using a
separate "lockfile" in the DB path these problems disappeared. The
most important jobs are launched by the most inexperienced uses
(basically no IT experience), so an Admin basically doesn't exist.
Also, during working hours, there is usually no Admin, so internal
security (computer-wise) really doesn't exist. I know it's bad, but
there's no way my clients would ever be willing to pay an admin, even
on an hourly base - the application must just run, and more than a
couple of hours of support per *year* just aren't accepted. Potential
clients just want everything for free - which I can't do!
Because of the complexity of the application (all sorts of different
jobs to do, including possibly updating/reading external PBX data,
reading external POS data, etc.), I have thousands of
BeginTrans/CommitTrans pairs during the EOD. The "internal date" plays
an essential role in the complete application. Most of the data is
"internal date" dependant and this is bumped during the EOD, usually
around 2-4 AM, but can be any time of day. Luckily the fraud problems
aren't too bad because the amounts we are dealing with just aren't
that large (compared with a bank). Also, there are many places where
the data can be, and is, automatically cross-checked on a daily base.
I don't like the "lockfile" idea much myself, but I haven't found a
better solution. In the case of a computer "switch-off" I must have a
solution to *automatically* clear the lock. I did, in fact, even use a
table with a field which identified the Client PC using the IP
address. Easy (I thought). If the operator restarts the PC and the
application finds the lock set for that PC then just continue the EOD.
I've seen everything (at 4 AM!) - the operator then tries to continue
the EOD from another client PC, because he thinks his PC is broken
(for example), and of course he get's an error telling him that the
table is locked. He doesn't understand the message: 1. maybe because
he's an IT novice or 2. he doesn't understand the language that well.
These are the sort of problems I had before I used the "lockfile"
method. The "lockfile" method (usually) works because the OS clears
the lock automatically on a disconnect.
Since the internal date is a vital part of the application I must,
somehow, be able to prevent data being posted during the EOD. The EOD
does automated postings for the internal date, updates statistics for
the internal date, prints all sorts of lists for the internal date,
deletes specific records for the internal date, cross-checks data etc.
and finally bumps the date. It would be disastrous if a second user or
external POS or PBX etc. were to post data using the internal date
during the EOD.
I'm sorry that was so lengthy, but maybe it has shed a bit more light
on the problem.
So, please don't fall off your chair, this lock method still has it's
uses (I think)! BTW, I believe that all similar applications to mine
(from my competitors) also use a db lock mechanism of some sort for
the EOD. I would love to find another solution though, and will reread
what you wrote a few more times.
Thank you for you patience - and - are you sure you can open Access97+
with CDatabase in exclusive mode? That would solve a lot of my
problems!
Peter

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:28:30 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote:

> [...]
>> MSDE I'm open to ideas.
>> BTW, the application runs on Win98 upwards. It is *not* client/server
>> but all workstations communicate real-time with each other using
>> socket connections. Works on single pc, peer-to-peer or domain.
>>
>> Thanks again for your reply,
>> Peter
>>
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:01:35 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote:
>>
>>>The path is in the master database... There can be multiple paths...
>>>
>>>try running a query as follows:
>>>
>>>select filename from master..sysdatabases where name = 'your db name'
>>>
>>>Now comes the question: Why on earth would you want to know that in a
>>>client
>>>application? This tends to indicate to me that you are possibly not using
>>>the right tool for the right job. Nothing on the client side needs to know
>>>this and should not know this for normal applications (security) ==> not a

Using dates in reports. Is there a sample database?
I am trying to get my head around using dates in reports (and queries). For example pulling off all the, say, IT problems logged in the period Apr-June 07 in an issues IT issues database. Or any sort of database really. I am not really sure how to use dates in reports and queries in this way and none of the sample databases I've looked at really do this (Northwind or some of the sample databases on the officeupdate site). I feel it would be useful to see how it is done and would be grateful if anybody could point me in the direction of a useful template/sample database. You have...

Protocol violation w/custm scurity on XP w/ a 2nd instance of SSRS
I am having an issue developing against a secondary instance of SSRS on XP. I install the secondary instance and everything is fine. I can browse to both instances, the secondary using the URL 'localhosts/reportdev'. I then implement a known custom security extension by deploying DLL's and making various changes to config files. The custom security enables the use of LDAP instead of Active Directory for item role assignment authentication. This bit is fairly complicated, but is known to work. When I then browse to the secondary instance of SSRS I receive the follow...

Moved priv databases and can't access Calendar Items from outlook??
I was running out of HD space so I went in to the Exchange console and moved the private databases to another drive per instructions in a KB article. Everything seems to have worked out okay, but now I cannot open my calendar items or accept any invitations sent to me. Anyone have any ideas on this? "Sterling" <Sterling_Jacobson@RemoveMeHotmail.com> wrote: >I was running out of HD space so I went in to the Exchange console and moved >the private databases to another drive per instructions in a KB article. > >Everything seems to have worked out okay, but no...

Move database from C to D
Can anyone give me direction on how to move the rms database from drive C todrive D? I'm using RMS 2.0. Thanks in advance. -- Randy Manchester Here are some instructions I made for a friend. Please note that these instructions were made on a computer where I didn't have access to an SQL Database, so some of the directories could be wrong. If you need more detailed instructions, e-mail my gmail.com account: natesawyer3. ~Nate 1. Download the appropriate SQL Management Studio Express for your operating system, and install it on the Computer with the database on it. [Link] 2. Open ...

Auto-Refresh Sharepoint
I would like to know how this is normally accomplished out there in the real world. We're looking at putting some of our Excel Reports out on our Sharepoint Intranet - Naturally, we need to set up a DSN on the server. But up until now, we've had developers refreshing the data locally, on their own machines, and then sending the Excel file to the manager who needed it. Doing it this way, we only had to use Windows Authentication. First - is this commonly done? Second - how do you setup the authentication? Any input would be appreciated. ...

How can you import data from another database using query ?
I am using SQL Server 2005. I would like to import data from dbA to dbB for tblMin, but only for some of the data in tblMin. Both dbA and dbB have tblMin. So, in the import wizard, i selected "Write a query to specify the data to transfer", then I write a query like this: SELECT * FROM [dbA].[dbo].[tblMin] where symbol = 'ABC' If I do this, the import wizard creates a new table called Query, and import the data to Query, instead of importing it to tblMin on dbB. How can I import the data to tblMin on dbB ? Thank you fniles (fniles@pfmail.com) writes:...

Problem with MSDE
Has anyone had an issue where when a user logs on, the MSDE does not have selected a database, and when you set it manually and log back off and then on it is once again not selected? Chris Hi Chris, I've seen this where MSDE already existed but didn't list its own computer name on the drop down for SQL Server names. I found that if typed in the local computer name followed by /crm then that would work but only until the end of the session. I found that the answer was to remove SFO, then uninstall MSDE and do a complete reinstallation of SFO. "Chris S Patterson" wro...

read-only on attempted update
I'm using Access 2003 SP3. Run Permissions are set to Owner's, User and Group Permissions are set to Updata Data etc. When I try to update, I get Error 80040e09, "Cannot update. Database or object is read-only" even though the database is NOT read-only as shown under Explorer/Permissions. The .ldb file is present when I open the database, but seems to disappear when I close it. Noone else is accessing the database. Where does the read-only setting come from? ...

Access 2003 database opens as read-only on Vista with Office 2007
I'm moving my files from my old computer (XP, Office 2003) to my new computer (Vista, Office 2007). When I open a 2003 Access database I created on the old computer, it runs as read-only, even though that attribute is not set in the file properties. How can I get the database to run normally? "Cassandra Berg" <CassandraBerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E42B330-C3DB-4130-96C3-ECB3DEB48B5B@microsoft.com... > I'm moving my files from my old computer (XP, Office 2003) to my new > computer > (Vista, Office 2007). When I open a 2...

Application project in the database is corupt!
Hi, I get this message, every time I run the debugger into what ever module in my Access 2003 program: "The changes you have requested to the table where not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship. Change the data in the field that contain duplicate data, remove the index to permit duplicate entries and try again." and after that I'm not able to launch my program any more. If I try to open a Module I get this message: "The Visual Basic for Application project in the database is corrupt" No way t...

To add a new entry into Database
can you assist me in adding a new entry into the database. I'm using MS Access and ODBC driver and i'm getting error for the function RecordSet::AddNew(); error: 'CRecordset::AddNew' : illegal call of non-static member function. Thank you in advance regards Jayanth jayanth wrote: > can you assist me in adding a new entry into the database. I'm using MS > Access and ODBC driver and i'm getting error for the function > RecordSet::AddNew(); > error: 'CRecordset::AddNew' : illegal call of non-static member > function. > > Thank you in adva...

database for wine club labels
I am asking for help to create a database so that MS-Word can print labels and thus avoid the confusion that seems to occur whenever our group bottles our brews. tom dick harry barolo 20 5 5 malbec 5 20 5 Pinot noir 5 5 20 In this example 3 members (Tom, Dick and Harry) share their brews but after tasting and much consideration sometimes forget what is in the bottles and this leads to much confusion. The obvious solution is to label the bottles and the suggested format would be "Barolo Tom bottle 1 of 20" etc through to 20 of 20. In this example it is not to arduous to copy or f...

Enhancing database how to
So, I am giving a db I developed to someone else. I still have enhancements to make i.e., I will be adding forms and reports. How do I port my enhancements to the version they are using? They will be updating tables and mine will be old data. If I copy my whole db over their updates will be lost. Thanks. Hi Phil, As a general rule it's a good idea to split a database into front and back ends. The back end has all the tables, and the front end includes everything else. Each user gets their own copy of the front end on their workstation, and the backend goes on some shared spac...

RMS Offline database setup
Hi all, How do i setup up the offline database? The part that i am getting hang-up on is when i go to create offline database it ask for backup database, where do i get this from? And do i setup up an offline database for each register that is connected to a main server? Thank you in advance. This is how I would do it. First, it would be best to do this up when the store is closed and you have closed out all registers so you can setup and test. I would use the empty database template that comes with RMS to setup the offline db. Create a new db and give it a recognizabl...

2nd Mailbox
Outlook 2000 How can I create a seperate mailbox that I can send and recieve emails? And also, would I be able to password protect it? TIA -- @---}-- Laura..... :) Liverpool, England Wehn you say second mailbox what do you mean could be a. a second mailbox in your existing profile or b. a second profile with a different mailbopx account setup in it in either case you can indeed password protect an email account if you are using exchange then i suggest using a different profile for you second account this is because you cannot use seperte inbox when in exchange mode, your pop or ima...

Maximum Database Size Reached
All I am running MS Exchange 5.5 sp4. My Information Store has just shut down due to the Database size reaching its maximum. I am about to follow the Knowledge Base article 185457 which explains that i need to defragment the database to try and reclaim some free space. I will run eseutil /d /ispriv Is there anything else that I should look out for? At the moment I am running an offline Backup in case my defrag goes wrong. Any help/sugestions greatly appreciated. Kevan After you start IS make sure that IS Maintenance is set to always, Deleted Items Retention is set to 0 days, conv...

Database Independent aplication using XML
Dear all I have to develop a database independent application in c# 2003. It means the underlying database should be anything like ACCESS, Oracle or SQL and my application should not get affected if i change between databases. i also have a requirement of storing 10,000 user records in my database. This database can also be created by our customers and weshould be able to use it. After reading ADO.NET i felt convinced that it is the solution for my requirement. But later i was thinking when i want to create a database independent application why i should use a database first of all, ins...

boot after XP Pro format on 2nd hard drive
hey there, i formated my secondary hard drive that had windows XP Pro installed on it. i formated it with XP Pro X64. after i formated it i tried to boot from it as primary, no luck, and it would boot before the format. how do i format it to its 80 gig a byte size with system on it to so that i can boot from it??? any help would be appreciated. On Dec 17, 1:42=A0pm, arealmes <areal...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > hey there, i formated my secondary hard drive that had windows XP Pro > installed on it. i formated it with XP Pro X64. =A0after i formated it i = t...

Unrecognized database format 12-12-07
Not having much luck today, it seems... In my quest to find an efficient way to import data from various sources to our sql server, I'm currently trying to experiment with an mdb full of the links and then opening them in code in my main adp program. However, I keep getting... Run-time error '3343'" Unrecognized database format... And this happens no matter what mdb I try to open... Dim db As DAO.Database 'Set db = OpenDatabase("L:\Reconciliation.mdb", False, True) 'Set db = OpenDatabase("L:\Sandbox") etc. All of these db's o...

Username/Domain/Password prompt appearing when attempting to download Offline Address Book (Outlook 2000)
Evening all! Hope someone can help me with this, before I lose ALL my hair! :o) We've got multiple Outlook 2000 users who connect an exchange server, but they an "Enter Password" box appears, prompting for a Username, Domain & Password. The box is blank & no matter what u enter it just re-appears, until they press the ESC key once. The box'll then disappear & Outlook closes OK...but I don't think the Offline address book is updating. 20% of the time, the box doesn't appear when closing Outlook, it's just the other 80%! :( They get this whether they...

OLE
I want to embed about 10 different small images into my table, which will them be display on a report. I have read through access's help screens, and I believed followed the steps carefully, but I continue to get the work PACKAGE in the OLE control instead of the image. According to the help screens the work PACKAGE appears when you try to embed a Jpeg or GIF file, however, I am working with a BMP file. It is b/w scanned image which I cropped in photoshop and then saved as a BMP. If any one knows whats wrong I would appreciate it. Thanks Try using the clipboard: copy and then...

Template path
Hi! I have a bunch of documents with a template-path to a server "\\Server1\Office\Section_2\Templates\Template.dot" <-- one of them. How can I replace the path to "blank" or another path? I want something that doesn´t have to open the documents, just replace the path. I search google, and found a bunch of VB-scripts that doesen´t work at all! How can I fix this? I have 1000+ documents and its making me nuts. It takes 5 min to open a document. Thnx! If your documents were in Word 2007 (docx, docm) format, you could edit the xml out...

Opening another Access Database file with VBA
I am in one of my Access database files, and wish to use a command button to open another database file. How is this done? On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:00:01 -0800, VWP1 <VWP1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: There are several ways. Perhaps the simplest is using the Shell function. Check the help file. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I am in one of my Access database files, and wish to use a command button to >open another database file. How is this done? On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:00:01 -0800, VWP1 wrote: > I am in one of my Access database files, and wish to use ...

Database source control
Hi All, I am using SQL Server 2008. Just want to know what is the best method to maintain the DB objects in source control and reverting back to any previous version with ease. Any pointers on this wud be of great help. Regards Pradeep It depends on which kind of objects you're referring to. You cannot maintain objects in source control, but you can maintain scripts of objects in source control. Things like views, stored procedures, functions, triggers, indexes, and synonyms can be maintained in source control with scripts of those objects. Creation scripts of tables...

Appearance and ergos
I'm working on modifying an Access 2003 database that was bequeathed to me by my predecessor. The database part of things is proceeding apace, but the UI is absolutely horrid! The colors are garish, and the text is to small, among other things. Leads to eyestrain in very short order. I could edit the various forms to improve things, but we're talking about 60+ forms here! Is there a feature in Access that would allow me to change things en masse? [Like a style sheet in a website?] "Uncle Wulf" <wulf@pack.net> wrote in message news:6rjgn3du94e45n2ukl3stpsdq04qq8vncd@...