creating a program that uses data from a sensor....

Hello,

I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it
from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an
electronic circuit).  What are the hardware components that would be
needed?  And what MFC class(es) would I use to accomplish this?

Thanks,
RABMissouri2006

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 21 Oct 2006 08:10:50 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it
>from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an
>electronic circuit).  What are the hardware components that would be
>needed?  And what MFC class(es) would I use to accomplish this?

You really don't give enough information about your knowledge and
background in the various tasks that must be done for us to help you.
You seem to ask about everything, from how to measure resistance to
how to display the data.  You don't even begin to approach the
question about how to interface the hardware to the computer system.

Please give us some idea of just how you plan to approach the problem,
with enough details so that we can see just how experienced you are in
those areas, and we can give you guidance and correction.  We can't
solve the problem for you from scratch.

Sorry about the vagueness of my question Norman.

I know how to measure ohms with an ohms meter.  I would assume that
this would be converted from analogue to digital and a device exists
that could feed this to my computer via a USB port?  Does a device like
this exist?  From there I would like to programatically access the
digital signal from the USB port and convert it to an int variable
using MFC.  I am an amature programmer but can create moderately
complex programs with MFC.

Thanks,
RABMissouri2006

On 21 Oct 2006 10:38:22 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sorry about the vagueness of my question Norman.
>
>I know how to measure ohms with an ohms meter.  I would assume that
>this would be converted from analogue to digital and a device exists
>that could feed this to my computer via a USB port?  Does a device like
>this exist?  From there I would like to programatically access the
>digital signal from the USB port and convert it to an int variable
>using MFC.  I am an amature programmer but can create moderately
>complex programs with MFC.
>
>Thanks,
>RABMissouri2006

Google "multimeter digital interface" and you will find a bunch of
multimeters capable of measuring resistance with USB interface.  Get
one, read the documentation on the USB driver that certainly will come
with the device.

On 21 Oct 2006 08:10:50 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it
>from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an
>electronic circuit).  What are the hardware components that would be
>needed?  And what MFC class(es) would I use to accomplish this?

What hardware (meter) are you using? What is the interface it
supports? Without that information everything else is just a WAG.

0
peter2 (1)
10/21/2006 9:02:36 PM
"Interface" is a new programming term for me.  What types of interfaces
are there?  I haven't bought my hardware (meter) yet.  What interface
do you recommend?

Thanks,
RABMissouri2006

On 22 Oct 2006 07:17:52 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Interface" is a new programming term for me.  What types of interfaces
>are there?  I haven't bought my hardware (meter) yet.  What interface
>do you recommend?
>
>Thanks,
>RABMissouri2006

Don't snip out the context of what you are replying to.  It makes
following the thread impossible.  I don't even know if you are
directing your question to me!

If you don't know what an interface is, then you are in deep trouble
for this entire project.  The interface is the connection, both
hardware and software, between your computer and an external device.

I told you;  you need to buy a meter that comes with a USB interface
and that has device drivers and software support documentation
included.  Then read the instructions and follow them.  That is all I
can suggest.

An "interface" is where two components meet.  Sometimes they where two software components
meet.  Sometimes they are where two hardware components meet.  Sometimes they are where
hardware meets software.

The transformer on the pole outside where you live is an interface between the
distribution line voltage and your local voltage.  A plug-and-socket is an interface
between your house wiring and some device you want powered up.

Interfaces require that you know, in great detail, the properties of the two objects you
are interfacing.  A 7500-to-230 volt transformer is a poor interface if your local
distribution wiring is 12,000 volts.

You need an analog-to-digital conversion circuit, which is an interface between the analog
world and the digital world.  You need something that takes a precisely calibrated voltage
(created by an interface between a source of power and the circuit board, such as a
transformer and AC-to-DC converter circuit, capacitors to smooth the power out, and a
voltage regulator that has sufficient precision to give you whatever accuracy you need)
and a way of getting a highly-reliable load.  You can then measure the voltage drop across
the resistor induced by placing the resistor between the power source and the load.  This
voltage drop can be converted to a normalized range so that a single ADC converter circuit
could handle ranges from 0-1K, 0-10K, 0-100K, 0-1Meg, etc. reisistors.  Then you have to
provide a means of directing that digital signal to a computer, such as a binary input
interface circuit and a transport mechanism (USB, PCI, etc.).  This gets a signal into the
computer.  Then you have to write a device driver, a kernel component that controls the
hardware device that is providing the interface between the outside world and the
backplane of your computer, to provide an interface between that hardware device and the
operating system.

From where you are starting, this is going to be several years' work.  You have to master
power supply technology, ADC technology, the basics of electronics, how to build
highly-reliable voltage regulators (for a 16-bit signal, the accuracy of the voltage needs
to be 1 part in 131072, or call it one part in 10^6.  This accuracy has to be maintained
across a wide variety of ambient conditions, from an air-conditioned lab through all
extremes you wish to support).  Then you have to learn how to build circuits that are
compatible with a bus structure, write device drivers, and finally write applications, all
of which represent interfaces.

The simplest solution is the one posed: buy a DVM which has a USB interface.  Look into
LabView technology as well.  Other people who understand these things have already solved
the problem for you and all you have to do is plug the right components together.  I know
of at least one simple DVM card (I don't know who manufactures it) that measures voltage
from 0..25.5 volts in 0.1 volt intervals, because I wrote a device driver for it one
evening in my driver course for one of my students.
					joe

On 22 Oct 2006 07:17:52 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Interface" is a new programming term for me.  What types of interfaces
>are there?  I haven't bought my hardware (meter) yet.  What interface
>do you recommend?
>
>Thanks,
>RABMissouri2006
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)

Data point labels in a scatter diagram
My Y axis is from my "Units" column and my X axis is from my "Revenue" column. How do I get a third column like "Company Name" to appear as the labels for the data points in my scatter diagram? Right click your plot area, choose Source Data, on Series tab in the box with series names highlight the series you want, to the right of it there is an option to choose your cell containing the name, repeat this for both of your series, then right click on the series in your chart, choose Format Series, on Data Labels tab check Series Name check box. Good Luck, La...

Updating Excel QueryTable using VB
Hi, I have searched the web extensively for a solution here but cannot find one. I am using the following code to refresh data from an external data source in excel. With Selection.QueryTable.Connection = Array(Array( _ "ODBC;Description=Database;DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=SERVER1\SQLEXPRESS;UID=username;APP=Microsoft Office 2003;WSID=HQD002;Netw" _ ), Array("ork=DBNMPNTW;Trusted_Connection=Yes")) .CommandType = xlCmdSql .Sql = "SELECT * FROM vwDetailsReporting" .PreserveColumnInfo = True .Refre...

Find the cell value in excel by using vb code
Hi. I'm trying to write a vb code that find a Row and a Column in worksheet2 that i called PoF (headline) It looks like this Row/Column: a b c d e 1 2 PoF 3 4 6 5 6 6 8 The name is PoF because i will use the same code in different sheets and the name PoF in different Columns/Rows The code is a loop. W = Worksheets(2).Range("PoF").Row ' This will give me the...

using "transparency" option on chart settings
When making a chart, I see there is a "transparency" option (under "fill effects"), but can't figure out what it does or how to use it. Can anyone explain how to use this option? Hi, It's not available to charts. The dialog is also used for Fill Effects in shapes. And when used on a shape that section of the dialog in enabled. If you are after using transparency effect see John Walkenbach's work around. http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip071.htm Cheers Andy Mike D wrote: > When making a chart, I see there is a "transparency" option (un...

Can I link an SQL database to my Outlook Contacts using Access?
We have contact data sitting in an SQL database and I would like it to be viewed and updated live in Outlook. Is this possible? Is Access the correct method to do this? How do I "double link" a file in Access so that it is linked to an SQL database AND to outlook? Also I'm using Acess 2002 and Outlook 2002 "arg1918" wrote: > We have contact data sitting in an SQL database and I would like it to be > viewed and updated live in Outlook. Is this possible? Is Access the correct > method to do this? How do I "double link" a file in Access so that i...

Create dynamic code by using Reflection
Hi! I have hard to see a situation when I would use the reflection feature to create the code dynamically ? Can somebody give me a hint when this situation would arise ? It's much much easier to create the code in the normal way. //Tony "Tony Johansson" <johansson.andersson@telia.com> wrote in message news:OZ4CzBO9KHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I have hard to see a situation when I would use the reflection feature to > create the code dynamically ? > Can somebody give me a hint when this situation would arise ? > It's much much ea...

Data Analysis Views Dashboard
All, We use MSPS 2007 with SP2. No MOSS installed. I am trying to build a dashboard which consists of 4 different views out of Data Analysis. I have built the 4 Data Analysis views, created a new webpart page, and added the data analysis webpart 4 times so that I can show one view per webpart. However, I am only able to see the Pivot graph in one web part ad rest of the webparts do not show anything. Is there something I am missing? -- Prasanna Adavi ...

Transfering data from another Worksheet
I am trying to transfer data in certain cells on my first sheet(Problem Sheet) to another sheet(Processed). It is processing ok but it is not transfering the correct data. The lines of code that are causing problems are: Sheets("Processed").Select Application.Goto REFERENCE:=Range("END") Selection.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=Office Picked" ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0).Formula = "Office" It's working fine but it's not transfering the correct data. I want cell D5 on Sheet "Problem Sheet" to go where I have "office&qu...

Search through a data base with multiple parameters
I have two data bases, from a ground investigation which look like that: DB#1 (a) Borehole (b) Depth from (c) Depth to (d) Soil Type 1 BH1 0m 2m Sand 2 BH1 2m 4m Clay 3 BH1 4m 7m Gravel 4 BH2 0m 1.5m Sand 5 BH2 1.5m 5m Clay 6 BH2 5m 8m Gravel DB#2 (a...

Import Data from ACT 6.0
Hi, I would like to import my data from ACT 6.0 into CRM 3.0., Does anybody have step by step instructions in how to do this? Thanks there are multiple options 1 - use the Microsoft data migraiton framework 2 - buy and use scribe migrate 3 - write your own code 4 - buy a 3rd party utility which transfers act to an easier database then extract from that sorry there is no easy quick way to do this ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Behzad1m" <Behzad1m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C19676E-...

How to read location, content of selected cell in pivot table data area?
Greetings! Am fumbling with the pivot table object, trying to work around some idiosyncrasies. Would appreciate help on two things: 1. How do I read the cell value when a cursor is located in the data area, and associate it with an item value or otherwise locate it in the data area with respect to the framing fields/items so I can flag the row as not ..visible? 2. Is there an on-line description somewhere of how the parts of the pivot table object fit together, and VBA access to them? To give an idea where I'm at - it seems a little wild to need to read the cell.pivotcell.parent val...

Combination chart: primary data labels obscure line series on secondary axis
I have a combination chart; a stacked column chart on the Primary Axis and a line chart on the Secondary Axis. I use the stacked column chart to display "bands" which I then overlay with the second data series. So far so good, the line segments and markers draw "on top of" the bands. But when I turn on data labels for the stacked column chart (to identify the bands), they display in *front* of the line series?! The column itself, remains behind, but the text of the data label is drawing on top of the series. Is there a way to force the labels *behind* the series on the se...

Using HTML in email signatures/emails in general
My boss has produced a Microsoft Publisher file which I have saved as HTML. There are about 15 images with the file and a couple of XML documents. I want to insert this HTML into an email to send out to customers. I have created a signature and inserted the HTML. When I create a new email, this signature and the HTML page is displayed within the email as expected. However, when sending it to recipients with virus email scanners (mainly AVG) that insert scanning details into an email (such as "No virus found in this incoming message"), the HTML does not display at all. Can anyont s...

Help requested in formulating Functions and script to create a mat
Visual Studio.net 2003, SQL Server Report Designer, SQL Query Analyser. I have a table of milestones with data such as project, miletone name, baseline date, planned date and actual date. My task is to produce a chart that has months in the columns and for each month a set of blocks of data, made by concatenating fileds form the table, for milestones due in that month. I can extract the 'blocks' of data easily enough but when I put them in columns each successive month starts on a new line below those of the previous month. I need it so that the first milestone of each ...

Extract Data Validation Input Messages and Titles
I have an Excel spreadsheet with approximately 40 different data validation input messages and titles. The spreadsheet isn't mine, but I need to get the input messages and titles out of it to put into another spreadsheet. I know that I can cut and paste each one, but this is painful, given that it is going to change, possibly often. Can someone point at how to automate extracting the validation input messages and titles. Thanks. The following code will insert a new sheet, and list the data validation messages there: '================================ Sub GetDVNotes() Dim ...

Why doesn't active quote get used in Pipeline report?
Here's the scenario I'm trying to model: 1. Create opportunity. Manually enter a ballpark figure of $10,000. 2. Work the opportunity a bit, and determine the needs. 3. Create a quote, adding existing products, for a total of $15,000, and activate it. 4. Run the pipeline report. Revenue is $10,000 5. Go to opportunity and change to system-calculated. 6. Save and close. 7. Run pipeline Result: Revenue is zero. Expected Result: Revenus is $15,000 I'd expect that if I activate a quote, the quote now drives the forecast revenue for that opportunity. I would expect that when I acti...

Business Data Lookup 07-11-06
I have installed the Business Data Lookup add on which is supposed to allow CRM data to be inserted into office documents such as a Word file. Inside of Word 2003, I see a "Insert from CRM" button, but when I click on it, nothing happens. It is just clicked, but no options come up after that. Is this a bug? --- Brandon Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com I think it is. I experienced the same. On top of that it will slow down MS Office heavily. Forget it. "Brandon" wrote: > I have installed the Business Data Lookup add on which...

Does Preview Pane create a virus vulnerability?
I have my Outlook 2002 set so that the headers are on top and a preview of the email is below. Does that open me up to the possibility of receiving a virus or malicious code even if I don't open attachments? Would anti-virus software guard against this? Thanks! Ed It's possible, yes - but you should have good AV software installed anyway, and a firewall - both are pretty much mandatory on all networked computers (connecting to the Internet through a modem counts as that, too!) Your AV software should be updated regularly - try daily if possible. Keep Windows and all your office ap...

"Program trying to access e-mail addresses" msg
Hi. I recently installed SP3 on my computer, and now I get an odd message when I open emails. A box pops up that says, "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'." My virus scan turned up nothing, and the "detect & repair" function of Outlook did not change this. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks! Same here. After "yes" or "no" outlook stop responding. Curious to find an answer! Mel &...

e-mail the current worksheet using a form button
I want to create a submit button that when I click on it, the current worksheet/file will be e-mailed to someone. Instead of saving the file, then inserting into an e-mail. I have seen this before in a file before, but can't figure out exactly how it works. I happened to notice in the VB Editor I saw something like... CommandClick() Excel.Application.Send "myname@email.com" End Sub Or something similar to that. I don't know any VBA.. So if that's what I need to learn, then let me know. TIA Richard, check out Ron's site for a LOT of information on this http://...

How to bind an ActiveX control to a Data Control?
I am building an ActiveX control and I need to bind my control to a data control when using it in VB6. My control is a multi column List. I know I should add a property called "DataSource" that returns the recordset of the Data control, then should move into the recordset and add the records one by one to my list. The question is how can I add the DataSource property and be able to read from the data control and retrieve the data. Is there a direct way or should I do it manually? ...

PDK Personal Data Keeper Timesheet Modification
Is it possible to modify the form for entering a timesheet in PDK? I would like to have the project name as well as the project number display on the time entry screen. Currently only project number displays on the timesheet form, although you can see the project name in the related look up. I would like to hear from anyone who uses PDK about how to make the product simpler to use, or what product you are using in lieu of PDK to track time. My e-mail address is lisa@worknetinc.com. ...

Dynamic references in diagram source data?
Have encountered problems when copying and pasteing diagrams and their source data areas. I wish to exclude the $ signs in the source data formulas in order for the diagrams to retrieve data from different areas in the same spreadsheet. This however seems impossible because excel automatically reinsert the $ signs when I manually remove them from the source data formulas. Any thoughts? Thanks. -- Olzki ...

Outlook wont start, even as I had previously used it on the same l
Recently had a system crash occasioned by impatience with a Windows update. After two weeks of tinkering, decided to reformat laptop back to factory settings. Since HP restore will not work, had to reinstall most sofware programs including Norton 360 and Office 2007Plus. Thereafter, most of my files were recovered from the most recent Norton 360 backup. Problem now is that all units of Office 2007 works perfectly except Outlook. It wont just start. All suggestions to repair Office installation or Outlook failed. Anyone with a similar problem and solution out there? Please help. ...

"No indexers" on creating "New Shared Services Provider "
Hi to all, I've this problem, I what to create the new and first "Shared Services Provider", but on "Index Server" section I don't find any Index Server (in combo-box). What can I do? Where am I wrong? Bye Dario Concilio Make sure you configured and started the Search services. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "Dario Concilio MCP" <dario.concilio@hotmail.it> wrote in message news:uhcKStDzKHA.5040@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi to all, > I've this problem, I what to creat...