Constant hard disk ID

Hello fellow newsgroupies!

Is it possible to get the serial number or some other constant / fixed
identifying information from a hard disk drive?

Volume names can of course be changed and so are not too good for this
purpose.

Many thanks in advance,

'Newsgroupie'
England
0
buzbymb (44)
6/30/2008 3:34:58 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you are thinking of doing your own software protection with this then the
usual advice on this ng is "don't bother, it is too easy to hack".
Get a proper solution instead.

Les

"Newsgroupie" <buzbymb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello fellow newsgroupies!
>
> Is it possible to get the serial number or some other constant / fixed
> identifying information from a hard disk drive?
>
> Volume names can of course be changed and so are not too good for this
> purpose.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> 'Newsgroupie'
> England

Why?  Are you thinking of writing some "software protection" scheme?  If so, you lose. The
self-designed software protection hacks fall into two categories
	Those which trivially break, penalizing legitimate users
	Those which are trivial to crack, affording no realistic protection
Usually, then end up fulfilling both of the above requirements.

Buy a package, or look for one of the shareware/open source versions.  But don't waste
time writing one yourself.
					joe

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:34:58 -0700 (PDT), Newsgroupie <buzbymb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello fellow newsgroupies!
>
>Is it possible to get the serial number or some other constant / fixed
>identifying information from a hard disk drive?
>
>Volume names can of course be changed and so are not too good for this
>purpose.
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>
>'Newsgroupie'
>England
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/30/2008 4:36:50 PM
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Why?  Are you thinking of writing some "software protection" scheme?  If so, you lose. The
> self-designed software protection hacks fall into two categories
> 	Those which trivially break, penalizing legitimate users
> 	Those which are trivial to crack, affording no realistic protection
> Usually, then end up fulfilling both of the above requirements.
>
> Buy a package, or look for one of the shareware/open source versions.  But don't waste
> time writing one yourself.
> 					joe

Or, better yet, write software that is so unpopular that nobody will
bother cracking your home-brew protection scheme

Just kidding, of course ....
0
nothanks5518 (121)
6/30/2008 5:46:25 PM
In the computer gaming industry, it is called a "two-fer"; you get two games for the price
of one.  After you solve the first game (the trivial protection scheme) you get to play
the other game.
					joe

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:46:25 -0500, BobF <nothanks@spamfree.world> wrote:

>Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> Why?  Are you thinking of writing some "software protection" scheme?  If so, you lose. The
>> self-designed software protection hacks fall into two categories
>> 	Those which trivially break, penalizing legitimate users
>> 	Those which are trivial to crack, affording no realistic protection
>> Usually, then end up fulfilling both of the above requirements.
>>
>> Buy a package, or look for one of the shareware/open source versions.  But don't waste
>> time writing one yourself.
>> 					joe
>>

>Or, better yet, write software that is so unpopular that nobody will
>bother cracking your home-brew protection scheme
>

>Just kidding, of course ....
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/30/2008 6:45:49 PM
While I agree that copy protection schemes mostly keep honest people honest,
this article may help you get what you want :o)

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mcpp/DriveInfoEx.aspx?fid=371167&df=90&mpp=25&noise=3&sort=Position&view=Quick&select=2537923&fr=26

Tom

"Newsgroupie" <buzbymb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello fellow newsgroupies!
>
> Is it possible to get the serial number or some other constant / fixed
> identifying information from a hard disk drive?
>
> Volume names can of course be changed and so are not too good for this
> purpose.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> 'Newsgroupie'
> England

0
tom.nospam (3240)
6/30/2008 6:51:17 PM
I didn't mention copy protection!

I only want to be able to positively identify an external USB hard
disk when it is connected to my PC!

Please stick to the point!

;-)

"Newsgroupie"
0
buzbymb (44)
6/30/2008 7:27:17 PM
Many USB devices have a unique serial number; you would be better off seeing if you can
read that.

The disk ID is not actually unique.  GetDriveInformation would be a start.
					joe

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:27:17 -0700 (PDT), Newsgroupie <buzbymb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I didn't mention copy protection!
>
>I only want to be able to positively identify an external USB hard
>disk when it is connected to my PC!
>
>Please stick to the point!
>
>;-)
>
>"Newsgroupie"
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/30/2008 7:42:17 PM
Nice comeback :o)

Did you get the information you need from the posts?

Tom

>I didn't mention copy protection!
>
> I only want to be able to positively identify an external USB hard
> disk when it is connected to my PC!
>
> Please stick to the point!
>
> ;-)
>
> "Newsgroupie"

0
tom.nospam (3240)
6/30/2008 11:21:19 PM
BobF wrote:
> Or, better yet, write software that is so unpopular that nobody will
> bother cracking your home-brew protection scheme
>

> Just kidding, of course ....

Worked for me :-).

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> In the computer gaming industry, it is called a "two-fer"; you get two
> games for the price
> of one.  After you solve the first game (the trivial protection scheme)
> you get to play
> the other game.

:-)))

You're a genius!

Giovanni

OK then I'll buy it!

How does one go about acquiring the unique serial number / identifier
of a USB device?

'Newsgroupie'
England
0
buzbymb (44)
7/1/2008 8:42:32 AM
I didn't invent the phrase; it was told to me by a friend very early in the days of
computer games...
				joe

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:06:47 +0200, "Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanni.dicanio@invalid.com>
wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> In the computer gaming industry, it is called a "two-fer"; you get two
>> games for the price
>> of one.  After you solve the first game (the trivial protection scheme)
>> you get to play
>> the other game.
>
>:-)))
>
>You're a genius!
>
>Giovanni

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
7/1/2008 1:38:08 PM
I think this is common in Nintendo games.  I've had people come to my house
and say, "Oh, you haven't cracked this Easter egg yet so you don't get 10
free lives..."  It's not for copy protection, but they are building in
"secret" things to figure out that are beyond the scope of games these days.

Not sure that's what OP wanted though :o)

Tom

"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanni.dicanio@invalid.com> wrote in message

> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> In the computer gaming industry, it is called a "two-fer"; you get two
>> games for the price
>> of one.  After you solve the first game (the trivial protection scheme)
>> you get to play
>> the other game.
>
> :-)))
>
> You're a genius!
>
> Giovanni

0
tom.nospam (3240)

Exchange 2003 Hard Recovery
Can anyone point me to a KB article that describes the process for restoring an Exchange 2003 DB and using the transaction logs to roll it forward? I have been getting 1018 errors during my backup this looks like my best option. We use backup Exec 10. Thanks. On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:55:05 -0700, "WoodyAnderson" <WoodyAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone point me to a KB article that describes the process for restoring >an Exchange 2003 DB and using the transaction logs to roll it forward? >I have been getting 1018 errors during my backup this lo...

Export/Import Outlook Express by Id to Outlook
I need to be able to take an Outlook Express Address Book by Identity and pull it into Outlook. It is unclear in Help exactly how to successfully do this. Is there someplace I can go for better, more detailed step-by-step, instructions on how to accomplish this. I keep coming up with unsuccessful conversions. Explain more clearly what you are trying to do. In Outlook, File > Import and Export > Internet Mail and Addresses is what you use. That's all the steps there are. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Kathy Ruan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

DHCPServer Event ID: 1017 & 1010 during backup
I have got two errors during backup. Chcaking C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp SYSTEM has got full perimssions to a folder. Any idea ? Event Type: Error Event Source: DhcpServer Event Category: None Event ID: 1017 Date: 24/05/2010 Time: 21:23:55 User: N/A Computer: TITAN Description: The DHCP service encountered the following error when backing up the registry configuration: Access is denied. Event Type: Error Event Source: DhcpServer Event Category: None Event ID: 1010 Date: 24/05/2010 Time: 21:23:56 User: N/A Computer: TITAN Description: The DHCP s...

SMTPSVC Event ID:2012 after applying Service Pack 1
After I applied Service Pack 1 for Exchange 2003, I am now getting multiple warning of "SMTPSVC Event ID: 2012" in my system log. -- Eric Sabo NT Administrator Can we see the description also? "Sabo, Eric" wrote: > After I applied Service Pack 1 for Exchange 2003, I am now getting multiple > warning of "SMTPSVC Event ID: 2012" in my system log. > > -- > Eric Sabo > NT Administrator -- Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain. http://spf.pobox.com The description is the following: SMTP could not connect to the DNS s...

pub 2003-insert disk?
Just installed pub 2003. Trying to use clip organizer. Keep getting a ms from windows installer saying "the feature you are trying to use is on a cd-rom or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the microsoft office xp media content deluxe disk and click ok." Disk is in drive. Can read it fine from explore. Installed ok. Downloaded/installed suggested xp packs. Have checked microsofts faq's etc, but nothing addresses this prob. Any ideas? Jo j.east@att.net If this is the 2nd CD, then you need to install that CD. Run SETUP on the CD. -- Clip2002: Error P...

Office 2007 Small Business 32 Bit & 64 bit On disk?
About 4 months ago I bought MS Office Business 2007 for my current desktop - XP Professional 32 bit OS. I am buying a new laptop Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Can I use the same disk or is there an upgrade? Thanks, There isnt a 207 64bit version If its a retail version you can install on your Laptop using your cd, having first uninstalled any Trial and its Activation Assistant, and rebooted (Ensure MSUpdate has run for critical updates first) "Dryway" <Dryway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E33B006-2346-4E6C-BA8F-5B3F748AFCA2@microsoft.co...

Error ID 1309
Hello I got the following Problem: Event code: 3005 Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred. Event time: 9/2/2009 11:34:39 AM Event time (UTC): 9/2/2009 9:34:39 AM Event ID: 92f07feaf9a446c39c78c85ba85e5995 Event sequence: 29064 Event occurrence: 4 Event detail code: 0 Application information: Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/Root-1-128962671245270344 Trust level: Full Application Virtual Path: / Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\CRMWeb\ Machine name: APP2 Process information: Process ID: 2568 Process name: w3wp...

DEX ROW ID
hello, I have a question on how does the dex row id get updated in great plains. I noticed there a 2 tables in the tempdb database what is that for. Thanks, Scott The DEXROWID is present in every table and is automatically incremented by 1 every time a record is added to the table. The tempdb database is a temporary database used by the server to store information needed for it to do its work. Its content is constantly changing and is wiped out everytime you restart the server. For more information check here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/architec/...

Store 28gb on disk but mailboxes say 5gb?
I have had a problem over the last few days where a Exchange 2003 store grew out of control. It had always been around 7gb in size but it is now showing over 28gb. I did an offline defrag last night and it reduced it only by about 1 gb. When I total the mailbox sizes in System Manager it comes in under 5 gb. Does anyone know any other way to get this compressed or figure out what is using all of the space? Jim, Do you you have deleted item retention set? If so, what is the retention interval? Deleted items set for 1 day and deleted mailboxes set for 5 days. There haven't ...

Can I still recover a file I saved in USB Flash disk from my HDD?
Can I still recover a file I saved in USB Flash disk from my HDD? Can it still be perhaps somewhere among temporary files? The story is short I saved s file in a USB disk and lost it... forgot to make a backup on my HDD. Do you know how to get down to the command (DOS) prompt on your pc? If you do take the following action:- 1. Go to DOS prompt. 2. Make sure you are at:- C:\> 3. Type in:- dir xxxxxx.xlsx /s - where xxxxxx.xlsx is the name of the file that you have lost. If it is still on your HDD the above command will tell you where it is (which direc...

How do i insert a hard page break in publisher
I am just learning Publisher 2003. I am making a 25 page brochure, and I want to make sure the page breaks come in the right places. I know you can do this in Word, but I can't seem to find the right menus to do this in Publisher. Thank you, Jenny Open help, input "break" or "section." -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Wine Diva" <Wine Diva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F06DFA8-2415-44E1-9DB9-DECCC9F71840@microsoft.com... >I am just learning Publisher 2...

using info on cd instead of hard drive
I am uncomfortable keeping my MS$ info on my hard drive. I don't have any account #'s entered, and I do use a firewall & a/v updated, etc., but I'm a paranoiac I guess. Is it possible each time I run my MS Money 2004, to use/add to all the data from the backup CD instead of having it stored on my hard drive? If so, how would I do it? Just insert the CD and then enter/update my info and then backup to the same CD-RW? Thanks for any suggestions. I am not technologically advanced, so any help in layperson's simple babysteps would be most appreciated. In microsof...

Single message being constantly resent
Hi an interesting problem has just occured on our old exchange 5.5 server that we are phasing out and replacing with exchange 2000. A message sent last friday (with two external recipients and one internal recipient) appears to be resent every few minutes. Each of the external recipients keeps receiving a copy of the message every 5-10 minutes. Here is an example of the message headers: Received: from mailhost1.mistral.co.uk (mailhost1.mistral.co.uk [217.154.131.4]) by rly-yh04.mx.aol.com (v97.10) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINYH41-2bd4007a4df63; Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:46:24 -0500 Received: from ...

Query to list Company ID with Billing Period by number with date i
I have currently in one table: Company Number | Period Start | Period End 1 | x | y 1 | y +1 | z and so on....(10,000 companies) I would like to create a query that would make: Company Number | Period End 1 | Period End 2 | Period 3 1 | y | z | a 2 | c | d | e etc... Any ideas? Search on 'Cr...

Windows7 and new motherboard or hard drive
Can you use the same retail copy of Windows 7 to do a re-install if you get a new motherboard or hard drive? I am not clear on this licience thing with Microsoft. Thank you, David titus12 wrote: > Can you use the same retail copy of Windows 7 to do a re-install if you get > a new motherboard or hard drive? I am not clear on this licience thing with > Microsoft. Well, you should ask in the Win7 newsgroup, rather than the WinXP one. I've changed several hard drives and motherboards on my XP system, and it never asked for a reactivation. I expect Win7 is th...

ID 1160
Three servers, one site, only one server having the issue. Store version 5.5.2656.60, SP4, current on all hotfixes/rollups, third party apps running, backup exec agent, mcafee groupshield, both are current on hotfixes..etc.. all three servers are identical for software, windows2000, exchange 5.5, no connectors on the server having the issue. We have run the optimizer and ensured the ram was set to 0, all machines running 2gb ram. not sure if something is corrupt or what...I've checked the following files and all are the same versions across the three servers: mailumx.dll, mapi32....

How do I... On opening file from hard disk, open a form
Hello, Microsoft Access 2003. I would like my Main Menu form to open when a user opens my database. So far I am in no way networked or web based, I'll probably get there but right now I have a file (Inventoryv4.mdb) that resides on the user's hard drive. when she opens this file, I would like my main menu form to open, instead of her having to go through the little task pane and dbl clk on frm_MAINMENU. How might one do this? ***Note: I need the task pane with all the tables queries, forms etc to still be there, just in the background, preferably minimized, and the main men...

IE8 *BUG*
IE8 fails to jump to the anchor identified by the HTML / XHTML "id" attribute. Although it links to the target page, it does not link to the target anchor as specified here: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.2.3 Here is the example "calling" link ____________________________ ...... <a title="Customers use our soap to relieve redness." href="web_page.html#Redness"> Redness </a> ...... ____________________________ Here is the example anchor in the file "web_page.html" ________________________...

Pack and Go Disk Space Error
When I pack and go for a commerical printing service, I get an error message that I'm out of disk space. My publication is only a page but is fairly complex with graphics, charts, and text. I have 20GB of disk space free. Got any tips as on how to resolve this. If I creat a new document with only a little text and a couple small pictures, I am able to successfuly pack and go. Thank you! Bill, which version of Publisher are you using? If you have any BLENDS in your Publication, this can be an issue as the file sizes become humungous. -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix...

Microsoft Outlook -bad purchase-too hard to use with AOL
test ...

Batch ID history
I've deleted a bunch of batches...if I go to create a new batch with the same name I can see that the name show up in a list. I can even see all past batch names that were cretea. Is there a way to clear all of this so I don't see all past batches created? Richard, Under Tools > Setup > User Preferences there is a button for AutoComplete - you can specify how long it keeps unused entries and the max number to store per field. However, this is global to all fields, so it won't just change Batch IDs you'll also change Customer IDs, Vendor IDs, etc. You can also de...

? Define Constant Name Strings to Integer Values
Hi, I'm looking for a way to convert a defined constant from its name to its value. For example I need a way to take the input string "VK_ESCAPE" and derive its integer value 0x1b. Most scripting languages do this through the eval function, but I cannot figure out a way to accomplish this with VC++. (I'm writing a dialog app, and I need a way to allow the user to pass key names on the command line without reinventing an entire key-map.) Any ideas? Thanks. -- Alec S. news/alec->synetech/cjb/net There may be a trickier way, but I would just build a switch statement...

Length of Cashier ID
I am working with a customer that wants to use an existing system of naming cashiers to match the login ID for RMS. They currently use 16 characters, but RMS is limited to 9. Is there a way to easily lenghthen the Cashier ID field? any help is appreciated. -- Jeff ...

cant download from disk
Hello, I need help. My computer went wacko on me the other night and I had to upgrade my Internet Explorer to the 6 version. When I did that it wiped out my Microsoft Money 2001. Now I am trying to reinstall it from my disk and It wont let me. What should I do? ...

unable to sign in with live id. id works else where.
hello, using the new deluxe version. Suddenly unable to sign in using windows live id. it says can not verify user id password. it has worked before for long time. i can sign in to other services using my live id. any suggestions? I have the same problem. Was the problem ever resolved for you? If so, I would be very grateful for some help!! Thanks! "John SBA" wrote: > hello, using the new deluxe version. Suddenly unable to sign in using > windows live id. it says can not verify user id password. it has worked > before for long time. i can sign in to other...