Code Comment Web Report,

I have enabled VC++ XML comments in Visual Studio 2005.  However, I do not
see the "Build Comment Web Pages" under the Tools file menu (which my book
says should be there--but the book was written for VS02).  Did they get rid
of Build Comment Web Pages in VS05, or simply move it?

0
hello2995 (32)
7/6/2006 6:50:00 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> I have enabled VC++ XML comments in Visual Studio 2005.  However, I do not
> see the "Build Comment Web Pages" under the Tools file menu (which my book
> says should be there--but the book was written for VS02).  Did they get rid
> of Build Comment Web Pages in VS05, or simply move it?

Looks like it was removed from VS2005:

http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
7/6/2006 6:51:23 PM
> Looks like it was removed from VS2005:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx

Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC
programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like
DOxygen?

> Ajay

0
hello2995 (32)
7/6/2006 8:14:56 PM
> Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC
> programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like
> DOxygen?

I personally dont use either. This was introduced in VS2002 and
majority of us have been using it since VC6 or before when this was not
available. I will be surprised if something like this is being used by
more than a handful C++ developers. Its likely that this was put to
attract .Net developers.

----
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
7/6/2006 8:15:11 PM
This sort of "documentation" is fairly useless nearly all of the time; I have never used
any sort of automated-documentation system because they essentially add nothing at all to
the value of a project.  Either you end up with nearly-unreadable code comments so the
metasymbols for the automated documention can be placed, or you end up with
nearly-unreadable documentation because all attempts to infer the metasymbols are
inherently flawed and cannot be made to work.

In a sane world, we could use Word or Powerpoint to create our programs, and/or we could
insert spreadsheets, graphs, Visio and Powerpoint objects in our source code.  But
instead, we are left with somewhat wider-than-80-columns punched card input to our
compilers, sort of like the 1955 FORTRAN compiler provided; the field has not matured at
all in 50 years.

I don't see any reason that any of these techniques would be used.  Nobody reads
documentation unless they're reading code anyway.  They appear to exist to support
mindless "suit" needs to have some kind of documentation checklist item satisfied.
					joe

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:14:56 -0700, "vsgdp" <hello@null.com> wrote:

>> Looks like it was removed from VS2005:
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx
>
>Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC
>programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like
>DOxygen?
>
>> Ajay

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
7/6/2006 9:20:18 PM
I use DOxygen sometimes, but usually I just do documentation separate from
the code.

Tom

"vsgdp" <hello@null.com> wrote in message

>> Looks like it was removed from VS2005:
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx
>
> Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC
> programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like
> DOxygen?
>
>> Ajay

0
tserface (3861)
7/6/2006 9:35:55 PM
Back in the old, idealistic days, I use to start off new projects with
the conviction that I would "document" as a matter of good form.  Years
later, I've learned that documenting code, at least, can lead to
disaster if the docs are not kept updated during maintenance --- future
programmers are easily lead astray by a single inadvertent lie in the
comments.  I believe now that code should, must, document itself.

-York

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> This sort of "documentation" is fairly useless nearly all of the time; I have never used
> any sort of automated-documentation system because they essentially add nothing at all to
> the value of a project.  Either you end up with nearly-unreadable code comments so the
> metasymbols for the automated documention can be placed, or you end up with
> nearly-unreadable documentation because all attempts to infer the metasymbols are
> inherently flawed and cannot be made to work.
>
> In a sane world, we could use Word or Powerpoint to create our programs, and/or we could
> insert spreadsheets, graphs, Visio and Powerpoint objects in our source code.  But
> instead, we are left with somewhat wider-than-80-columns punched card input to our
> compilers, sort of like the 1955 FORTRAN compiler provided; the field has not matured at
> all in 50 years.
>
> I don't see any reason that any of these techniques would be used.  Nobody reads
> documentation unless they're reading code anyway.  They appear to exist to support
> mindless "suit" needs to have some kind of documentation checklist item satisfied.
> 					joe
>
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:14:56 -0700, "vsgdp" <hello@null.com> wrote:
>
>>> Looks like it was removed from VS2005:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx
>> Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC
>> programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like
>> DOxygen?
>>
>>> Ajay
>>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
york1 (53)
7/6/2006 9:54:48 PM
"Sgt. York" <york@frontlines.org> wrote in message
(snip)
> I believe now that code should, must, document itself.

Wow!  Are you saying, you never comment anything?  If a programmer wants to
know how to use your routine, they have to read the code?

I believe in commenting routines (in a header) and variables in the .h file.
These comments show up in MSVS when you access the member (variable or
function).

DanB

0
Dan
7/6/2006 10:00:42 PM
Certainly code should be clear and simple, but I, at least, put lots of comments in my
code.

What I tell my students is that "remember, your code will be maintained by unskilled
labor.  That means the new hire, or you, a year later"

This saved me when one of my cllients came back to me last year to add new features to the
program to support their new line of controllers.  If I hadn't done extensive comments, I
would not have had a chance at figuring out what I'd done.  OTOH, if I'd written a
"document" I'd be doomed also, because the document would be completely out of date.

I've almost never commented variables.  But all my functions have a standard header which
gets a lot of text when appropriate.
					joe

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:00:42 -0600, "Dan Baker" <dbmail> wrote:

>"Sgt. York" <york@frontlines.org> wrote in message
>(snip)
>> I believe now that code should, must, document itself.
>
>Wow!  Are you saying, you never comment anything?  If a programmer wants to
>know how to use your routine, they have to read the code?
>
>I believe in commenting routines (in a header) and variables in the .h file.
>These comments show up in MSVS when you access the member (variable or
>function).
>
>DanB

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
7/6/2006 10:18:48 PM
I tend to over comment.  I often have at least as many comment lines as I
have code, but I don't consider this documentation in the same sense as
using DOxygen.

I agree with commenting in the .h files as well as it's nice to have the
help in Intellisense.

Tom

"Dan Baker" <dbmail> wrote in message
> "Sgt. York" <york@frontlines.org> wrote in message
> (snip)
>> I believe now that code should, must, document itself.
>
> Wow!  Are you saying, you never comment anything?  If a programmer wants
> to know how to use your routine, they have to read the code?
>
> I believe in commenting routines (in a header) and variables in the .h
> file. These comments show up in MSVS when you access the member (variable
> or function).
>
> DanB

0
tserface (3861)
7/6/2006 10:20:54 PM
Yes, I guess I should qualify what I meant.  Documenting at the function
level in the headers for non-obvious functions is useful, but I've had
to maintain code that contains fixes that are the result of bad form
up-front (i.e. hacks to fix regression errors) without simultaneous
changes to the old comments, which became flat wrong and misleading.
Maybe someday compilers will catch those kinds of errors.  Then there
are the obvious examples, for instance we have a junior member on our
team who use to comment like this:

   //
   // counter for pin-out array
   //
   int counterPinOut = 0;

VC++ wizards also tends to add superfluous junk like this:

   // COGLWidget class
   class COGLWidget
   {
   // Construction
   public:
     COGLWidget(); // standard constructor

   // Implementation
   public:

   // Attributes
   public:

   // Operations
   public:

For me, this is like bird-watching in a sandstorm.

-York

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Certainly code should be clear and simple, but I, at least, put lots of comments in my
> code.
>
> What I tell my students is that "remember, your code will be maintained by unskilled
> labor.  That means the new hire, or you, a year later"
>
> This saved me when one of my cllients came back to me last year to add new features to the
> program to support their new line of controllers.  If I hadn't done extensive comments, I
> would not have had a chance at figuring out what I'd done.  OTOH, if I'd written a
> "document" I'd be doomed also, because the document would be completely out of date.
>
> I've almost never commented variables.  But all my functions have a standard header which
> gets a lot of text when appropriate.
> 					joe
>
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:00:42 -0600, "Dan Baker" <dbmail> wrote:
>
>> "Sgt. York" <york@frontlines.org> wrote in message
>> (snip)
>>> I believe now that code should, must, document itself.
>> Wow!  Are you saying, you never comment anything?  If a programmer wants to
>> know how to use your routine, they have to read the code?
>>
>> I believe in commenting routines (in a header) and variables in the .h file.
>> These comments show up in MSVS when you access the member (variable or
>> function).
>>
>> DanB
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
york1 (53)

How can I bind the results of Web service to a ListView?
Hi all, I'm new to ASP.NET so I apologize if this is a basic question. I have a Web application. This web application has a ListView on it. For this web app I make calls to a web service which returns data from a database. I return the data using the following format: [WebMethod] public List<Record> Search() { List<Record> list = new List<Record>(); /* Populate list with data from a db */ return list; } public class Record { public String name; public String address; public int ageInYears; } Now I would like from the Web Appl...

Formula In Crystal Reports
Hi All, I'm just starting to learn Crystal right now but it's all very new to me so I was just curious if anyone knows if you can do formulas in it. I'd like to take a custom CRM field called setup cost on a product and add all the values of this field up in a quote. Ie if there are 3 products all with seperate setup costs I want to add those together. Or will this have to be done a different way? Thanks all Tom Hi, Crystal supports both VB and Crystal Reports formulas. the help files are quite good regarding formulas, and the 9.2.2 CR with enhanced edition has an excel...

Problem using Microsoft Web Browser control
I am trying to access the Custom properties of a Web Browser ActiveX control on a form and I keep getting a message telling me that "The Operation on the Microsoft Web Browser object failed. The OLE server may not be registered. To register the OLE server, reinstall it." I searched TechNet and MSDN and could not resolve this. I reinstalled Access 2003 (I have 2003 and 2007 installed on my workstation, XP Pro) and still no resolution. Has anyone else seen this and if so, can you tell me how to resolve this? Jim Does anyone know the name of the file the message...

ZIP codes beginning with 0
I'm having trouble getting ZIP codes beginning with 0 to stick, even when specifying ZIP code in the format category type. No matter what I do, the initial 0 always gets dropped. Advice? Thanks. Hi Peter.......... Either pre-format your cells as TEXT, or enter a leading apostrophe before entering the number with the leading 0........the apostrophe won't show, it only forces TEXT formatting on that cell.......... Vaya con Dios,] Chuck, CABGx3 "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2ab7001c46836$3382cf70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I&...

Turn Off SOP Transfer Log Report
Is there any way to not have the SOP Transfer Log show up? We usually just hit the Cancel button on the Report Destination window but it gets annoying when you transfer 100-150 orders a day. I know you can go into the posting setup to cancel posting reports but I can't find anyway to stop the Transfer Log. -- Scott Scott, No, there isn't a method built in to do this. You'd need a customization using Dexterity or I think you could use VBA to do this as well. patrick mbs developer support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ri...

Report width will not shrink
I have a report that was originally designed as legal size, but by eliminating a few columns is now landscape letter size. However I am unable to shrink the width from 12" to 9" - there seems to be something invisible to me in one of the headers, footers or detail sections. I have tried everything to try to select whatever it is that is 12" wide but am unable to find it. I have tried CTRL A for select all, tried highlighting from the top or the side, etc but nothing shows up. It has to be a line or something, but when I preview the report the second page is blank. I ...

Inserting rows slow on large report
I have a large report I maintain with 3 data tabs and 2 report tabs, 1 for top 10 customers, about 400 rows, and another for all other customers, about 4000 rows. Every month I have to update it for any new customer/product combinations. I have optimized the formulas to the best of my abilities and gotten a full recalc time down from 3 min to 30 sec, which is acceptable. My biggest problem now is that every time I need to add a row (or delete one for that matter) it takes about 15 seconds (on the 4k row report, adding to the top 10 customers report takes 3-5 seconds), per row....

sending to group gets "sending reported error 0x80040610"
Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending' reported error (0x80040610) : 'Unknown Error 0x80040610' This person sent an email to a distribution group we have set up. It seems that everyone got it but the error came to her like that. Any ideas? Bryce. Does this help? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885917 -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Bryce" <fukuzz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:46119f2c$0$503$815e3792@news.qwest.net... > Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending' reported e...

Biggest worldwide free Entertainment multi language Video web , Travel, Sports, Health , Racing cars , Massages techniques, Games , Fashions, Jokes , Top models , Free online IT learning , 5000 l
Hi , I'd like to introduce you 2 biggest free Video multi language entertainment websites : http://www.vietnam4all.net/ http://www.webcool24.com/ Best regards. ...

Parmeters in Reports
Hello, I have a report generated from a query. The field names are add1, add2 and add3, productname. The data in the fields: add1-add3 are the same. I would like to be prompted when I open the report for the data in fields add1, add2 and add3. Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Open the query in design view. Add this as criteria for add1 --- [Enter add1 info] If you want the query to return records that have all if the criteria you enter then put criteria for the rest on the same criteria row. Otherwi...

RMS and Bar Coding
We are having a year end inventory count performed and need to send a file with all bar codes. Can we delete old bar codes that have not been used for awhile to shrink this file? Or can we send a numerical file with just the bar codes that currently show inventory? If so, how is this done? We own Store Operations 1.20 -- Joanne Mahoney SDN Consulting Jacksonville, FL ...

How to get looping VBA code to respond to events on worksheet
Hello, I have some code of the form do while not g_Paused bunch of calls ... loop where I'd like the variable g_Paused to be toggled by a button on the worksheet. The only way I can seem to get the code to respond to the button click is to use do while not g_Paused bunch of calls ... ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Name").Activate DoEvents loop But this is pretty slow and causes the sheet to flicker...is there a better method? PS I'm using buttons from the Control Toolbox Thank you. ...

Tax Codes?
Does anyone know the tax codes Microsoft Money uses for transactions? Thanks, Brook In microsoft.public.money, Brook wrote: >Does anyone know the tax codes Microsoft Money uses for >transactions? Explain what you mean. What I am looking for are the Tax Codes for Different Transactions: I.E. If I wanted to create a 401k tracking within my Microsoft Money, I was trying to figure out how I need to tax code my transaction so everything appears properly. Hope this is clear. Brook >-----Original Message----- >In microsoft.public.money, Brook wrote: > >>Does anyone...

Add a new code macro
I have workbook that I am trying to use with a macro form another post on this form. It inserts a new row with the formulas and contents of the selected row. The problem is that it copies the row below the one selected, and because of this, I can not make a copy of row 2 below the column headers. Any ideas? Thanks. Here is the code: '/=======Start of Code==========================/ Sub InsertRowsAndFillFormulas() 'adds desired # of lines below the current line and ' copies the formulas to that/those lines 'added selection of more than one worksheet ' - Gary L. Brown &#...

How do I Remove a Split from my Comments in Excel 2003?
I have set my current workbook to split/freeze the first column and first 2 rows. Now, when I add a comment to the second row (in any column) my comments are cut off if I should scroll down. I don't ever remember the behavior before. And I don't know what I've done to enable it but it's really annoying. How do turn this off. Instead of Window>Split try selecting B3 then Window>Freeze Panes to hold top 2 rows and left column in view when scrolling. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:54:01 -0700, JesusPresley <JesusPresley@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Using Code instead of Criteria
In my query builder, I'm getting the message: "The string returned by the builder is too long. The result will be truncated." I think I understand why, as I am using a form to specify a large number of options for the report. Can I use VB to specify these criteria instead of the query builder? Examples in query builder: If [Forms]![boxSeatsMailings]![PW] Criteria =1 and (PFDirect>0 or PFBulk>0 or PIDirect>0) then select record. If [Forms]![boxSeatsMailings]![PW] Criteria =2 and (PFDirect>0 or PFBulk>0 or PIDirect>0) then select record. As ind...

CRM, Reporting Services & Forms Authentication
Our company has an app with forms auth that is integrated with Reporting Services. We have forms auth working successfully with Reporting Services. We'd like to integrate CRM and still use forms auth. Is this possible with CRM? Would anyone be kind enough to point me to any documentation or examples of CRM w/ forms auth & Reporting Services? ...

Crystal Report 9.2.2!!!
Hello All, I have install crystal report 9 then I download crystal 9.2.2 and start the setup. first it uninstall crystal report 9 and then it starts installing 9.2.2 and ask the CD KEY I enter Crystal Report 9.0 CD key but it does not accept that KEY. How can I update Crystal 9.0 to Crystal 9.2.2??? Thanks in Advance, Naveed. recheck the key...you only need to install 9.2.2 then enter the 9.0 key -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "Naveed" <nrehman@marsonssoft.com> wrote in message news:e%23...

New Entity visit Report and Integration of Participants (MS CRM 3.
Hello Newsgroup, We have created a new Entity called visit reports. We have to add Participants in this new entity. It would nice, if we could have a field like the Participants in the appointment, where you can select the Participants from Contacts, Accounts, and Users. I'll hope , some of you have a idear. Regards Thomas You have to create a new relationship for your custom entity to the types of participants you want to be available. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Thomas Haller" wrote: > Hello Newsgroup, > > We have created a new Entity...

Report Columns
I am trying to add columns to my report but am having some difficulty. The report is basically a form letter. It is grouped on the employee’s unique ID. In that group header is the letter, Dear so and so etc. It is the details portion that I am trying to get into two columns. Is there something I am missing on how to do this. I would rather no put a sub report in to accomplish this. Thank you Jason, Well, the subform would be an easy way to go about that. However, I would think you could use the ID group header to display the first part of the letter, the detail section to disp...

COM communicate with managed code(.NET)
Hi! When I have a communication from COM to managed code(.NET) a type library(TLB) is necessary in between to handle the communication from COM to ..NET. I tried to use Red Gats's reflector to look into the type library that have extension tlb but it's not possible. So why is it not possible ? //Tony "Tony Johansson" <johansson.andersson@telia.com> wrote in message news:O%23lutgv5KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I tried to use Red Gats's reflector to look into the type library that > have extension tlb but it's not possible. ...

HTML report in vb.net
How do I create an html report in vb.net instead of Crystal or ReportViewer? Hello, > How do I create an html report in vb.net instead of Crystal or > ReportViewer? Pretty vague. If the problem is to create html markup you could try the HtmlTextWriter class (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.htmltextwriter(VS.80).aspx to see if it's easier for you. Also most Reporting Packages (including RS, note sure about Crystal but very likely) are able to render a report as HTML markup so you could perhaps still use them. Not sure what is your scena...

weird sum on report
Hi everyone I'm building a report based on several crosstab qry and it seem ok with values. That report has group values. I want, at some point, a line with totals as well as a line with the difference between 2 lines, like expenses to sales. Quite simple, i guess. Result : not only it doesn't subtract in some grouping/levels, as well it doesn't sum the other 4 lines i need. Is this weird or not? (lol) Tks in advance for all your help. Pedro Pedro, I don't see anything wrong from where I sit. Of course, I can't see your crosstabs, data, grouping levels, expressions, ...

Recover missing Z-Report
One of my clerks received an error message during running a Z-Report....she did not note the error so I have no idea what it is...the report did not print yet manager says there is a Z-Report but it is blank...all the transactions are in manager and it says there is a Z-Report but it is totally blank....any way to regenerate this Z-report or make it so it's not blank? ...

Creating a report that tracks stock's life cycle (buy, transfer, s
Greetings and Salutations I purchase ABC stock, and it is held by my broker "Those Brothers". I purchase more ABC stock at different times. These transactions are recorded in Money. I move my investments from "Those Brothers" to the "Quiet Company" and I purchase more ABC stock at various times. The Transfer Out and the additional Buys are all recorded in Money. I decide to sell a lot of ABC stock (spanning multple purchases and multiple investment firms) and use the FIFO method. Somehow Money knows which shares it is selling, I would like to get a report...