CListCtrl selected higlight blue color

Hi,

I have a clistctrl. I am selecting the first entry in the list control
using the following:

SetItemState(0, LVIS_SELECTED | LVIS_FOCUSED, LVIS_SELECTED |
LVIS_FOCUSED);
EnsureVisible(0, FALSE);

The item gets highlighted but in grey color. But when I select first
item in the list contrl using mouse, the item get highlighted using
blue color.

So wanted to know what setting I have to do go the blue color on item
being selected using the above code.

I have read the article at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/list/selectentirerow.aspx.
Using OnDrawItem, I am getting the blue color but I need to write code
to handle the display of text also. Using OnDrawItem I am getting the
text to be overlapped.

So basically I want all the functionality which CListCtrl provides
except drawing the background of the items being selected. I want the
item to be selected in blue color and I donot think it is good idea to
write so much code for that.

Thanks
0
sagkumar (32)
8/26/2008 8:59:09 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I think that you may find this control on CodeProject interesting:

"XListCtrl - A custom-draw list control with subitem formatting"
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/list/xlistctrl.aspx

I think that using it you can modify the background color of selection,
without writing too much code for OnDrawItem, etc.

HTH,
Giovanni

"Kuenga" <sagkumar@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi,
>
> I have a clistctrl. I am selecting the first entry in the list control
> using the following:
>
> SetItemState(0, LVIS_SELECTED | LVIS_FOCUSED, LVIS_SELECTED |
> LVIS_FOCUSED);
> EnsureVisible(0, FALSE);
>
> The item gets highlighted but in grey color. But when I select first
> item in the list contrl using mouse, the item get highlighted using
> blue color.
>
> So wanted to know what setting I have to do go the blue color on item
> being selected using the above code.
>
> I have read the article at
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/list/selectentirerow.aspx.
> Using OnDrawItem, I am getting the blue color but I need to write code
> to handle the display of text also. Using OnDrawItem I am getting the
> text to be overlapped.
>
> So basically I want all the functionality which CListCtrl provides
> except drawing the background of the items being selected. I want the
> item to be selected in blue color and I donot think it is good idea to
> write so much code for that.
>
> Thanks

0
Giovanni
8/26/2008 10:21:27 AM
>I have a clistctrl. I am selecting the first entry in the list control
>using the following:
>
>SetItemState(0, LVIS_SELECTED | LVIS_FOCUSED, LVIS_SELECTED |
>LVIS_FOCUSED);
>EnsureVisible(0, FALSE);
>
>The item gets highlighted but in grey color. But when I select first
>item in the list contrl using mouse, the item get highlighted using
>blue color.

Just in case you're not aware, what you're seeing is the intended
behaviour.

When the control has input focus (which it gets when you click it),
the selection is (by default) blue.

When the control does not have focus the selection is grey.

This is a useful visual distinction for users and should be what they
expect to happen. I wouldn't not recommend that you change this unless
you have a really sound design reason to do so.

>So wanted to know what setting I have to do go the blue color on item
>being selected using the above code.

You just need to set focus on the control.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
8/26/2008 1:07:59 PM
The highlight is in gray if the control does not have the focus.  The highlight is in blue
if the control has the focus.  This is very important to the user to know the control has
the focus.

Note that if you leave the control highlighted in blue, the user will assume that the
control HAS the focus, because that is how the control behaves; the number of times I've
hit down-arrow to change a selection in a badly-designed control is far too high; in fact,
I often build my own owner-draw CListBox just so I can get the gray highlighting.  If you
want the highlighting in blue, you must also SetFocus, which is usually a Bad Idea because
focus is a concept owned by the user, and you should not mess with it casually, or just
because you want to violate fundamental GUI behavior in a counter-intuitive fashion.
						joe

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 01:59:09 -0700 (PDT), Kuenga <sagkumar@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a clistctrl. I am selecting the first entry in the list control
>using the following:
>
>SetItemState(0, LVIS_SELECTED | LVIS_FOCUSED, LVIS_SELECTED |
>LVIS_FOCUSED);
>EnsureVisible(0, FALSE);
>
>The item gets highlighted but in grey color. But when I select first
>item in the list contrl using mouse, the item get highlighted using
>blue color.
>
>So wanted to know what setting I have to do go the blue color on item
>being selected using the above code.
>
>I have read the article at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/list/selectentirerow.aspx.
>Using OnDrawItem, I am getting the blue color but I need to write code
>to handle the display of text also. Using OnDrawItem I am getting the
>text to be overlapped.
>
>So basically I want all the functionality which CListCtrl provides
>except drawing the background of the items being selected. I want the
>item to be selected in blue color and I donot think it is good idea to
>write so much code for that.
>
>Thanks
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
8/26/2008 2:08:50 PM
This is a really good point. The user may go crazy trying to click the down
arrow key when the control really does not have focus any longer.  I think
setting the control to use LVS_SHOWSELALWAYS makes the most sense because
the user can still  have the visual that the item is selected.

Tom

> The highlight is in gray if the control does not have the focus.  The
> highlight is in blue
> if the control has the focus.  This is very important to the user to know
> the control has
> the focus.
>
> Note that if you leave the control highlighted in blue, the user will
> assume that the
> control HAS the focus, because that is how the control behaves; the number
> of times I've
> hit down-arrow to change a selection in a badly-designed control is far
> too high; in fact,
> I often build my own owner-draw CListBox just so I can get the gray
> highlighting.  If you
> want the highlighting in blue, you must also SetFocus, which is usually a
> Bad Idea because
> focus is a concept owned by the user, and you should not mess with it
> casually, or just
> because you want to violate fundamental GUI behavior in a
> counter-intuitive fashion.
> joe
>
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 01:59:09 -0700 (PDT), Kuenga <sagkumar@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a clistctrl. I am selecting the first entry in the list control
>>using the following:
>>
>>SetItemState(0, LVIS_SELECTED | LVIS_FOCUSED, LVIS_SELECTED |
>>LVIS_FOCUSED);
>>EnsureVisible(0, FALSE);
>>
>>The item gets highlighted but in grey color. But when I select first
>>item in the list contrl using mouse, the item get highlighted using
>>blue color.
>>
>>So wanted to know what setting I have to do go the blue color on item
>>being selected using the above code.
>>
>>I have read the article at
>>http://www.codeproject.com/KB/list/selectentirerow.aspx.
>>Using OnDrawItem, I am getting the blue color but I need to write code
>>to handle the display of text also. Using OnDrawItem I am getting the
>>text to be overlapped.
>>
>>So basically I want all the functionality which CListCtrl provides
>>except drawing the background of the items being selected. I want the
>>item to be selected in blue color and I donot think it is good idea to
>>write so much code for that.
>>
>>Thanks
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tom.nospam (3240)
8/26/2008 5:33:38 PM
On Aug 26, 10:33=A0pm, "Tom Serface" <tom.nos...@camaswood.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >>LVIS_FOCUSED);
> >>EnsureVisible(0, FALSE);
>
> >>The item gets highlighted but in grey color. But when I select first
> >>item in the list contrl using mouse, the item get highlighted using
> >>blue color.
>
> >>So wanted to know what setting I have to do go the blue color on item
> >>being selected using the above code.
>
> >>I have read the article at
> >>http://www.codeproject.com/KB/list/selectentirerow.aspx.
> >>Using OnDrawItem, I am getting the blue color but I need to write code
> >>to handle the display of text also. Using OnDrawItem I am getting the
> >>text to be overlapped.
>
> >>So basically I want all the functionality which CListCtrl provides
> >>except drawing the background of the items being selected. I want the
> >>item to be selected in blue color and I donot think it is good idea to

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. The problem got solved by calling the
setfocus function. The desired behaviour I was not getting before was
because of calling the SetFocus function after EnsureVisible(0,
FALSE); I called the SetFocus from the Parent of the CListCtrl, i.e
main application using the CListCtrl handle and I got the blue color.

I need that blue color, since on Vista with Vista theme, the gray
color is not prominient and user do not get the felling that an item
is being highlighted, so required this behaviour.

Thanks a lot for the help.
0
sagkumar (32)
8/27/2008 5:21:20 AM
You should not be setting focus.  Focus should be controlled by the user.  If you have
made a poor choice of theme, you should not compensate for this by changing behavior to
violate expected behavior.
					joe
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:21:20 -0700 (PDT), Kuenga <sagkumar@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 26, 10:33�pm, "Tom Serface" <tom.nos...@camaswood.com> wrote:
>> This is a really good point. The user may go crazy trying to click the down
>> arrow key when the control really does not have focus any longer. �I think
>> setting the control to use LVS_SHOWSELALWAYS makes the most sense because
>> the user can still �have the visual that the item is selected.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newco...@flounder.com> wrote in messagenews:ic38b41r8vk4ube37l68pv5je5bh30ob1t@4ax.com...
>>

>> > The highlight is in gray if the control does not have the focus. �The
>> > highlight is in blue
>> > if the control has the focus. �This is very important to the user to know
>> > the control has
>> > the focus.
>>
>> > Note that if you leave the control highlighted in blue, the user will
>> > assume that the
>> > control HAS the focus, because that is how the control behaves; the number
>> > of times I've
>> > hit down-arrow to change a selection in a badly-designed control is far
>> > too high; in fact,
>> > I often build my own owner-draw CListBox just so I can get the gray
>> > highlighting. �If you
>> > want the highlighting in blue, you must also SetFocus, which is usually a
>> > Bad Idea because
>> > focus is a concept owned by the user, and you should not mess with it
>> > casually, or just
>> > because you want to violate fundamental GUI behavior in a
>> > counter-intuitive fashion.
>> > joe

>> > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> > email: newco...@flounder.com
>> > Web:http://www.flounder.com
>> > MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the responses. The problem got solved by calling the
>setfocus function. The desired behaviour I was not getting before was
>because of calling the SetFocus function after EnsureVisible(0,
>FALSE); I called the SetFocus from the Parent of the CListCtrl, i.e
>main application using the CListCtrl handle and I got the blue color.
>
>I need that blue color, since on Vista with Vista theme, the gray
>color is not prominient and user do not get the felling that an item
>is being highlighted, so required this behaviour.
>
>Thanks a lot for the help.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

CListCtrl, EnsureVisible and LVS_OWNERDATA style
Hi all, I have a CListCtrl in a DialogBox. This CListCtrl has the LVS_OWNERDATA style. I call the function Ensure visible to show a particular item, and I have two differents behaviours : - If I DO NOT click in the ListCtrl, then, it works fine, the list si scrolled to the correct item - If I click in the ListCtrl, then, any call to EnsureVisible scrolls the List to the first item. Does anybody have an idea to explain what is happening ? Ask for precisions if necessary. Thanks in advance, Dansk Oh dear... I found it, it was a stupid side effect. CListCtrl works fine in this case... ...

Tab color?
When I set Tab Color, it only puts an underscore of the selected color under the sheet name. I would like to change the background color of the tab -- ideally even the font style and color of the tab name. Can any of that be done? I suspect not because when I do Record Macro while renaming a tab and changing tab color, the normally VBA code is uncharacteristically succinct, revealing nothing more being done than I can already see, setting only .Name and .Tab.ColorIndex. If the sheet is active the color is shown only as an underscore. Inactive sheets show the full tab...

Help with shopping cart integration software selection?
I am in the research phase of picking a solution/software that would allow my small (3000 item) mind-body-spirit retail store using RMS to be integrated with a shopping cart for online sales. So far the searches have brought up: ezweb - objectware - kosmos x-cart - myrmsshopping cart - RMScart - StoreFront - eStore - plus web integrator & SIM Integrator which seem to be partial solutions. I don't want to run two databases. I do want a solution that uses my current RMS info and updates it for both inventory and customers. Template layout is acceptable. Customized site is not nec...

How to draw blue borders dynamically like pivot table?
Dear all, After Added a pivot table onto a sheet, Excel will draw blue borders of its column area, row area and data area. If you click one of the cells of the pivot table, the blue borders are showed automatically; if the pivot table is not focused, the borders disappear. Is there a way to implement similar effect by programming? Regards, George ...

Adding selected cells
If i have a list of numbers say in cells c1 to c10 and i have a sum to add these all together and display the answer in c11. I want to be able to only allow the cells (c1 to c10) which have been allowed to be part of the sum by entering a figure in d1 to d10 i.e if c2 contains �20 it cannot be added until d2 has a figure in it. Any help would be great. -- alanled ------------------------------------------------------------------------ alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30949 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threa...

Disable macro security for selected workbook
I am using Excel 2003. I know how to lower the macro security warning from Tools, Option, etc. However, I do not want to turn this feature off for every workbook. I only want to turn it off for a specific workbook when ever the end user opens it. Can this be done? Maybe with VBA? How? TIA. Jan If you think about it, being able to lower macro security from a macro may defeat the object. You could sign the project and that could then be added to the trusted list or you could install it as an add-in (*.xla). Neither way will fire the warning -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Ex...

OL 2000 Select "Send From" Account
I used to have OL 2002. It had a drop-down on the "Send" button that allowed me to choose the account from which I wanted to send the e-mail. How do I get OL 2000 to let me choose a specific account to send from - NOT - to have the e-mail read "On Behalf Of ..."? Thanks. Outlook 2000 doesn't support that feature, except in Internet Mail mode - see Help, about to see which mode you are using. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choosingmode.htm to learn about which mode is best for you. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 2...

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL blue screen and something else
I`m not going to lie... I`m not very tech savvy. I`ve scrolled through all the related posts and haven`t seen what I`ve been experiencing. So a few days ago -- well, Monday I suppose -- I turned off my computer. The next day I turned it on and after about 10-15 minutes of usage it went to a blue screen with some obscene message. I figured my computer had a terrible virus so I slowly restored all my valuable files in these 10 minute interverels (note: I could only get 10 minutes of computer access every 40 minutes. If I tried say five minutes after the last blue screen it`d work fo...

Clearing background color in printed copies
My Sheet has various regions of with various light background colors. This is to help staff enter data in the right places! When I print the Sheet, though, I don't want any background colors to show for the Range("A7:P30"). Is there a good way to do this? (I still want the background colors to show on the screen, just not in the printed copy.) Terry page setup: ActiveSheet.PageSetup.BlackAndWhite= True "terry w" <terryw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04690179-6812-48EF-8906-7995696E8539@microsoft.com... > My She...

Select Multiple Objects
How do I select multiple objects in a spreadsheet wihout selecting the cells? Oscar Click on the first object, and then hold the shift key and select the other objects Good Luck Mark Graesse mark_graesser@yahoo.co ----- Oscar wrote: ---- How do I select multiple objects in a spreadsheet wihout selecting the cells ...

Color palette changes in Excel
I recently installed Excel 2002 at my office and I noticed that after I open a workbook, every workbook I open after that takes on the color palette of the first workbook. Suddenly this starting happening at home. It is very frustrating as I keep losing color palettes and my files are sometimes unreadable. Has anyone experienced this? I couldn't find anything on the Web or Microsoft.com about it. I use xl2002 at home and I don't think I've seen that behavior. I take it you're not using one workbook for the basis of the next. That new workbook will inherit the color pa...

cedit in dialog .. howto have diff font colors !!
hi, I have multiline CEDIT box in a dialog. I have display a matirx of float numbers aligned properly .. CString disp; for(wellrows=0;wellrows<wellrow;wellrows++) for(spotrows=0;spotrows<spotrow;spotrows++) { for(wellcols=0;wellcols<wellcol;wellcols++) for(spotcols=0;spotcols<spotcol;spotcols++) { disp.Format("%5.1f\t",image->GetIntensity(wellrows,wellcols,spotrows,spotcol s)); //this inserts spaces for proper right alignment if(disp.GetLength() < 10) disp.Insert(0,ins[10-disp.GetLength()]); dlg.m_edit_res...

Select a cell and lock it...
Hello, In regards to formulas.... If I enter an "=" sign, as to indicate the beginnings of a formula in one cell, is it possible to select another cell and automatically anchor that specific cell in the formula without having to type the "$" in the forumla... Example... I would like to select B12 as $B$12 and place it in the formula without having to go back and type in the "$" in the cell containing the formula. Is there a key combination that will allow this, or I am stuck having to type those "$"'s everytime? Thanks in advance. Josh ...

Color Fill Cells??
We recently upgraded to 2007 at the office. I still have to save all of my files in 03 format so others within the company can view. All files are saved and opened in compatibility mode. Here is my question: How can i fill a cell (shading/color), without getting a compatibility mode error? I've tried all standard colors, with no success. Any ideas? TIA SE ...

Why JPG display only with 16 color in Dialog?
Any clue? The code is attached below. TIA. void CCardDlg::LoadAndDisplayJpeg() { long Len; CFile File; HGLOBAL hglob = NULL; HBITMAP hbm = NULL; CPaintDC dc(this); try { File.Open(_T("\\tmp\\YanYan.jpg"), CFile::modeRead); Len = File.GetLength(); hglob = GlobalAlloc(GMEM_MOVEABLE, Len + 1); if (hglob == NULL) CGException::ThrowLastError(); try { File.Read(GlobalLock(hglob), Len); } catch(...) { GlobalUnlock(hglob); throw; } GlobalUnlock(hglob); hbm = LoadJpeg(hglob); // Draw the Bitmap CDC mdc; CRect rect; CBitmap *Bmp; BITMAP ...

Re: Coloring individual points/bars
As there have been several questions piled up on the coloring individual points within a single series, let me offer a solution that I have been using for more then seven years. It proved in the analysis of data, especially then in the connection with next two subs that link color with the flag of relevancy for statistical treatment. Sub naturally loose sense for linear markers (+ × _ - ); for using in such a field it would need small adaptation. It is developed and verified for xl2003, I have never tried to adapt for 2007. Sub MarkerColor() 'Sub changes the colors of indiv...

print selected text OL2003
hey folks been beating my head on wall for a few days now any one knows a way to set printing options/styles to print selected text in a message ? this is for MS Outlook 2003. thanks no, it's an all or nothing deal. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: ...

Selective pasting with Format Painter
We have seen many threads recommending the Format Painter be used to copy specific formats or styles to other cells. Unfortunately, we cannot find how to specify which specific attributes are copied or which are pasted? Does the Format Painter only copy ALL formats (color, font, outline, number, conditional format, etc.) or can it be used to copy a specific single attribute of the format to other cells? Format painter pastes all formats - if you want some subset of formatting, then you would need to use a button with a custom macro, or simply use those buttons that control the aspect...

MIgration Blues, 5-5 to 2003 using deplyment tools
Hey guys, I am sure i am not the only one who is trying this on his own,Yup i am talking about mail mogration from 5.5 to 2003 using 2003 deplyment tools. I read somewhere in the Microsoft documentation that when using Exdeploy tools-- after move mailbox you have to do some post migration tasks so as to have coexistance with the yet to be migrated mailboxes ( which are still on 5.5) either one could do this manually or ADC will do it for you if it is alive. ( it basically says, ADC will create custom recipeints in your 5.5 server in lieu of Migrated mailboxes so as users who still are...

How do I retain a colored font in the calendar wizard in Pub2000 .
I am using the calendar wizard in Pub. 2000 and want to color some of the font to indicate different events. When I change from one page to another, the colored font is lost. I have searched the Help menu and on Microsoft's publisher kinowledge based articles and tried everything they have suggested. (article Q240773) Can anyone help me remedy this problem? ...

colorize statusbar + menubar + toolbar
hi all, is there a way to get of the standard gray color that is displayed in statusbar, menubar and toolbar components ? i havent found lots of information about this request, so any help or even ideas would be appreciated.. thanks in advance joerg There are not many resources for doing this. However, since the underlying object for StatusBar and a CToolbar is CControlBar, you can achieve a great deal by simply changing the background color in (OnEraseBkgnd) of CControlbar. This question has been asked before in this newsgroup and I had supplied the link to an article in WDJ which s...

Saving selected areas
I have many users who add data to an Excel workbook. Once per month individual users highlight their entries and then save these as new workbook. The problem is that for some reason Excel is now saving all the workbook instead of just the highligted cells. Has anyone any idea why it isn't now when it has worked before? Dave, Excel saves the entire workbook. Always has. Certain file types (Save as) save only the active sheet (*.csv, *.txt, etc.). The save as, web page (html), has an option to save only the selection. Could you have been using that? -- Earl Kiosterud www.smoke...

Microsoft Outlook Background Default Color....
How can we change the default background color from white to black and the font color from black to white on both messages sent, received and replied to? We have an employee who has trouble seeing and can read white text on a black background. However, when she replies to e- mails, anyone who gets the reply just sees a blank white screen. Thanks for your assistance! ...

Selecting last cell with a value in a list
Using Xcel 97. very :confused: I am keeping a note of some stocks and shares of 25 different companie on the stock market. I have made a list of each day's finishing price Each day I add to the bottom of each list the current day's price (th list is now some 65 lines (or rows down the spreadsheet) . I also have a small analysis area in another part of the spreadsheet showing the each company's highest and lowest share price and th current (today's) price. MY PROBLEM IS: How do I make a formula that will automatically copy (o look at) the last value in each list. At the mom...

How to change the color of a CEdit Control ??
Merry christmass Progeammers, I'm new to MFC programming, and would like to know how to change the CEdit control color aswell other controls colors. thanks in advance Hello To change the color of edit control you need to handle the WM_CTLCOLOR or WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC message depending on the control is read only or not. Then, in the message, return the appropriate color brush handle you want to change. For Ex HBRUSH myframe:: OnCtlColor(CDC *dc,CWnd *wnd,UINT color) { HBRUSH hbr=CWnd::OnCtlColor(dc,wnd,color); if(wnd->GetDlgCtrlID()==ID) /*give here the id of control */ ...