Change color of a (solid) CBrush?

Can I change the color of a CBrush created with
CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor );
without having to delete it and create a new one every time?
TIA
Harvey

0
harveyab (125)
2/23/2007 10:41:41 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Harvey" wrote:

> Can I change the color of a CBrush created with
> CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor );
> without having to delete it and create a new one every time?
> TIA
> Harvey

myBrush->DeleteObject();
myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor);

And why are you creating in the heap?

--
======
Arman

1
armancho_x1 (249)
2/23/2007 1:36:32 PM
You can certainly do it by calling detach/deleteobject etc but why not
create a new one instead?

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

"Harvey" <harveyab@juno.com> wrote in message
> Can I change the color of a CBrush created with
> CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor );
> without having to delete it and create a new one every time?
> TIA
> Harvey

0
ajaykalra (6842)
2/23/2007 3:58:03 PM
On Feb 23, 5:36 am, Arman Sahakyan <armanch...@rambler.ru(donotspam)>
wrote:
> "Harvey" wrote:
> > Can I change the color of a CBrush created with
> > CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor );
> > without having to delete it and create a new one every time?
> > TIA
> > Harvey
>
> myBrush->DeleteObject();
> myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor);

Ok, That is one step closer

> And why are you creating in the heap?

Because I am using the CBrush in OnCtlColor() and set the color
elsewhere.
OnCtlColor() is called often and the color changes seldom.
Or am I not understanding something (very likely)

Thank you
Harvey

0
harveyab (125)
2/23/2007 6:39:10 PM
On Feb 23, 7:58 am, "Ajay Kalra" <ajayka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You can certainly do it by calling detach/deleteobject etc but why not
> create a new one instead?

Arman suggested this:

myBrush->DeleteObject();
myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor);

Is it better than:

delete myBrush;
myBrush = new CBrush(myColor);

Thank you
Harvey

> --
> Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
> ajayka...@yahoo.com
>
> "Harvey" <harve...@juno.com> wrote in message

> > Can I change the color of a CBrush created with
> > CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor );
> > without having to delete it and create a new one every time?
> > TIA
> > Harvey

0
harveyab (125)
2/23/2007 6:47:03 PM
> On Feb 23, 7:58 am, "Ajay Kalra" <ajayka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> You can certainly do it by calling detach/deleteobject etc but why not
>> create a new one instead?
>
> Arman suggested this:
>
> myBrush->DeleteObject();
> myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor);
>
> Is it better than:
>
> delete myBrush;
> myBrush = new CBrush(myColor);

I would declare a member variable

    CBrush    m_brush;

which lives for the duration of your app and saves you from having to
new/delete.

The seldom code that needs to set the color can:

    m_brush.DeleteObject();
    m_brush.CreateSolidBrush(newcolor);

and the often code that uses the brush doesn't need to do anything except
reference m_brush.

BTW, if you are painting a simple rect with a solid brush, you may want to
use the CDC::FillSolidColor() method that takes an RGB color and saves you
from dealing with brushes at all.

-- David (MVP)

0
dc2983 (3206)
2/23/2007 7:13:31 PM
On Feb 23, 11:13 am, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com>
wrote:
> "Harvey" <harve...@juno.com> wrote in message

> > On Feb 23, 7:58 am, "Ajay Kalra" <ajayka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> You can certainly do it by calling detach/deleteobject etc but why not
> >> create a new one instead?
>
> > Arman suggested this:
>
> > myBrush->DeleteObject();
> > myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor);
>
> > Is it better than:
>
> > delete myBrush;
> > myBrush = new CBrush(myColor);
>
> I would declare a member variable
>
>     CBrush    m_brush;
>
> which lives for the duration of your app and saves you from having to
> new/delete.
>
> The seldom code that needs to set the color can:
>
>     m_brush.DeleteObject();
>     m_brush.CreateSolidBrush(newcolor);
>
> and the often code that uses the brush doesn't need to do anything except
> reference m_brush.

Thank you David,
Yes that works and is a little cleaner

> BTW, if you are painting a simple rect with a solid brush, you may want to
> use the CDC::FillSolidColor() method that takes an RGB color and saves you
> from dealing with brushes at all.

No, its a CBrush returned from OnCtlColor() for a CEdit control as:

	return (HBRUSH)(myBrush.GetSafeHandle());

I assume that I must return a HBRUSH, right?

> -- David (MVP)

Thanks again,
Harvey

0
harveyab (125)
2/23/2007 10:48:52 PM
I think CreateSolidBrush() and DeleteObject() also perform some
allocation/deallocation for the brush. So even though you don't
delete/recreate CBrush object every time, you still perform some memory
operations.

Is the number of colors that are required by the app finite? Say, five or
six colors?

Why not to create five brushes at the beginning of the program, and just
switch between them?

HBRUSH br1 = CreateSolidBrush( clr1 ),
    br2 = CreateSolidBrush( clr2 ),
....l
    brN = CreateSolidBrush( clrN );

Use these through the duration of the app, then at the end call
DeleteObject() on all of them.

On Feb 23, 2:48 pm, "Harvey" <harve...@juno.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 11:13 am, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

> > "Harvey" <harve...@juno.com> wrote in message

> > > Arman suggested this:
>
> > > myBrush->DeleteObject();
> > > myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor);
>
> > > Is it better than:
>
> > > delete myBrush;
> > > myBrush = new CBrush(myColor);
>
> > I would declare a member variable
>
> >     CBrush    m_brush;
>
> > which lives for the duration of your app and saves you from having to
> > new/delete.
>
> > The seldom code that needs to set the color can:
>
> >     m_brush.DeleteObject();
> >     m_brush.CreateSolidBrush(newcolor);
>
> > and the often code that uses the brush doesn't need to do anything except
> > reference m_brush.
>
> Thank you David,
> Yes that works and is a little cleaner
>
> > BTW, if you are painting a simple rect with a solid brush, you may want to
> > use the CDC::FillSolidColor() method that takes an RGB color and saves you
> > from dealing with brushes at all.
>
> No, its a CBrush returned from OnCtlColor() for a CEdit control as:
>
>         return (HBRUSH)(myBrush.GetSafeHandle());
>
> I assume that I must return a HBRUSH, right?
>
> > -- David (MVP)
>
> Thanks again,
> Harvey

So, looking at this again, Is there some reason not to do:

  myBrushHandle = (HBRUSH)(myBrush.GetSafeHandle());

elsewhere in the same place as I change the color (seldom),
and only:

  return myBrushHandle;

from OnCtlColor()?
I guess the question is how 'safe' is a 'SafeHandle' to last the life
of an application? Why do I not see this recommended?

TIA,
Harvey

0
harveyab (125)
2/23/2007 11:29:55 PM
wrote:
> "Harvey" wrote:
> > Can I change the color of a CBrush created with
> > CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor );
> > without having to delete it and create a new one every time?
> > TIA
> > Harvey
>
> myBrush->DeleteObject();
> myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor);
>
> And why are you creating in the heap?
>
> --
> ======
> Arman

Oh, Now I understand what you said...
David Ching spelled it out for me.
Good. So now I have:

  CBrush myBrush; // As a class member (initialized in constructor)

and to change colors:

  myBrush.DeleteObject();
  myBrush.CreateSolidBrush(myColor);

Thank you,
Harvey

0
harveyab (125)
2/23/2007 11:42:09 PM
>> No, its a CBrush returned from OnCtlColor() for a CEdit control as:
>>
>>         return (HBRUSH)(myBrush.GetSafeHandle());
>>
>> I assume that I must return a HBRUSH, right?

Yes, definitely you need a CBrush for this, no way to get by without it.

> So, looking at this again, Is there some reason not to do:
>
>  myBrushHandle = (HBRUSH)(myBrush.GetSafeHandle());
>
> elsewhere in the same place as I change the color (seldom),
> and only:
>
>  return myBrushHandle;
>
> from OnCtlColor()?
> I guess the question is how 'safe' is a 'SafeHandle' to last the life
> of an application? Why do I not see this recommended?

Mostly because MFC programmers like to use CBrush (the MFC object) as much
as possible and only convert it to the Win32 equivilent (HBRUSH) when
absolutely necessary.  Also, having both a CBrush and HBRUSH members is
overkill, as only one is necessary.

BTW, since OnCtlColor() returns an HBRUSH, you can just say

    return mybrush;    // MFC object has operator HBRUSH so you don't need
to manually cast it

-- David (MVP)

0
dc2983 (3206)
2/23/2007 11:48:35 PM
On Feb 23, 2:59 pm, "Ashot Geodakov" <a_geoda...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think CreateSolidBrush() and DeleteObject() also perform some
> allocation/deallocation for the brush. So even though you don't
> delete/recreate CBrush object every time, you still perform some memory
> operations.
>
> Is the number of colors that are required by the app finite? Say, five or
> six colors?
>
> Why not to create five brushes at the beginning of the program, and just
> switch between them?
>
> HBRUSH br1 = CreateSolidBrush( clr1 ),
>     br2 = CreateSolidBrush( clr2 ),
> ...l
>     brN = CreateSolidBrush( clrN );
>
> Use these through the duration of the app, then at the end call
> DeleteObject() on all of them.
>
> "Arman Sahakyan" <armanch...@rambler.ru(donotspam)> wrote in message

> > "Harvey" wrote:
>
> >> Can I change the color of a CBrush created with
> >> CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor );
> >> without having to delete it and create a new one every time?
> >> TIA
> >> Harvey
>
> > myBrush->DeleteObject();
> > myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor);
>
> > And why are you creating in the heap?
>
> > --
> > ======
> > Arman

Ashot,
Thanks for your response.
I only have one color (per control), but it can be changed by the user
to any color value.
Harvey

0
harveyab (125)
2/23/2007 11:51:42 PM
On Feb 23, 3:48 pm, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
> "Harvey" <harve...@juno.com> wrote in message

> >> No, its a CBrush returned from OnCtlColor() for a CEdit control as:
>
> >>         return (HBRUSH)(myBrush.GetSafeHandle());
>
> >> I assume that I must return a HBRUSH, right?
>
> Yes, definitely you need a CBrush for this, no way to get by without it.
>
> > So, looking at this again, Is there some reason not to do:
>
> >  myBrushHandle = (HBRUSH)(myBrush.GetSafeHandle());
>
> > elsewhere in the same place as I change the color (seldom),
> > and only:
>
> >  return myBrushHandle;
>
> > from OnCtlColor()?
> > I guess the question is how 'safe' is a 'SafeHandle' to last the life
> > of an application? Why do I not see this recommended?
>
> Mostly because MFC programmers like to use CBrush (the MFC object) as much
> as possible and only convert it to the Win32 equivilent (HBRUSH) when
> absolutely necessary.  Also, having both a CBrush and HBRUSH members is
> overkill, as only one is necessary.
>
> BTW, since OnCtlColor() returns an HBRUSH, you can just say
>
>     return mybrush;    // MFC object has operator HBRUSH so you don't need
> to manually cast it
>
> -- David (MVP)

Thank you David (and All),
It keeps getting better. I think I am finally done with this item.
Harvey

0
harveyab (125)

Contact info changed and old address still come up
I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and have changed in the address book an e-mail address, but when I type the name, the old e-mail address still pops-up. I deleted completely the old contract, and made a new one and still the old one comes up...I have no clue to where I need to go to delete the old address...Any idea anyone? You are confusing your Contacts with your nickname list. Are you choosing from the drop down list that appears when you start typing an address? Highlight the incorrect entry and delete it. "Marie" <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

change color of bar on multi-day event shape
Is there a way to change the color of the "bar" across the top of a multi-day event shape? I can change the fill color, but not the bar is always blue. url:http://www.ureader.com/gp/1127-1.aspx On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:43:11 +0800, "Jennifer Virley"<virleyj0@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to change the color of the "bar" across the top of a >multi-day event shape? >I can change the fill color, but not the bar is always blue. Open the Drawing Explorer window (menu View -> Drawing Explorer Look for the appropriate shape on the ...

Changing line appearance for future values
Using Excel 2007. Is it possible to change the appearance of a line in a chart for values in the future (like projections)? I would like to go from solid to dashed and keep the same color and weight. Either you format line pieces individually (manual work). Either you use 2 series to plot in the chart. Use IF functions to see on which series a given value should be shown. Use NA() for values that should not be plotted. -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "RhysPieces" wrote: > Using Excel 2007. Is it possible to change the appearance of a line...

Protected XY plots change format spontaneously
I use Excel 2000 (9.0 SP3). In my workbook, each of 20 worksheets has some data-entry cells, an embedded XY plot, and some buttons for macros. Each plot has 1 series - the data from the data-entry cells on that sheet. Cells outside the data-entry area are locked. The worksheets are all "protected" so that users can make changes only in the data-entry cells. Two more XY plots are on separate sheets in this workbook - each has 12 series, and is also "protected". I have about 20 such workbooks. All are on a network drive and are accessed by users working at various PC...

Macro to change the PivotField to sum
I'm trying to find/creat a macro that will automatically change the Field in my pivottable to Sum. The problem that I'm running into is when I have have a new field name or a new pivottable name. I can creat one where the pivottable and the PivotField are always the same but that really doesn't help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Vick Debra Dalgleish has an addin that you may like. http://www.contextures.com/xlPivotAddIn02.html The code is unprotected, so you could just extract that portion and include it your macro if you want. Vick wrote: > >...

A get/change next operation on table 'POP_PO' is for an invalid ke
Hi: I am trying to setup PO Enhancement in one company. After marking on Activate Approvals and hitting on OK button, the process runs, but at 2% run it gives me above mentioned error. This is with the one company. Other company is ok, I ran it and worked fine. What could be the reason. Thanks Naseer Ahmed ! I would recommend that you have all users logged out of great plains and then Run Grant.sql which should be on any of the client machines. Having done that, try the process again. If you are still stuck, let me know how you get along with it. "Naseer Ahmed Farooqi" w...

cursor changed from tall to short
Thanks for help Change your Zoom to 500% and back to 100%. If this is a persistent problem, see the thread earlier today "Change cursor from dot to line?" where Stefan Blom posted this response: What you can do is create an auto macro that changes the zoom automatically each time you start Word: Sub AutoNew() With ActiveWindow.View.Zoom .Percentage =3D 500 .Percentage =3D 100 End With End Sub Sub AutoOpen() With ActiveWindow.View.Zoom .Percentage =3D 500 .Percentage =3D 100 End With End Sub For more, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing...

Change color of a (solid) CBrush?
Can I change the color of a CBrush created with CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor ); without having to delete it and create a new one every time? TIA Harvey "Harvey" wrote: > Can I change the color of a CBrush created with > CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor ); > without having to delete it and create a new one every time? > TIA > Harvey > myBrush->DeleteObject(); myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor); And why are you creating in the heap? -- ====== Arman You can certainly do it by calling detach/deleteobject etc but why not create a new one...

Rules Wizard changes rule
I am using Outlook 2002 with all current patches, and I have one html account and three POP accounts (let's call the POP accounts A, B and C). 'A' is my main account and it's messages go to the Inbox. 'B' is a secondary account and collects a lot of spam. 'C' is my work account. I want to route all incoming messages from the 'B' account to the 'B' folder and all the incoming messages from the 'C' account to the 'C' folder. I have rules that do this this simple task, only when saving the 'C' rule, the Rules Wizard ...

Retail Price randomly changes
Hi Guys I'm using 1.3 and occassionaly when I go into the properties of an item, the price changes to the price of another item (sometimes previously pulled up) I've tried checking the database and reindexing it, same thing. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your advice Search for a post titled "problems after update" There is a fix for it, but you have to enter in a support request, they will then give you the fix for free "Mitch" wrote: > Hi Guys > > I'm using 1.3 and occassionaly when I go into the properties of an item, the > price cha...

Change Multiple Linked File References In Money Plus
I have linked a lot of files to transactions in Money Plus. I now want to relocate those linked files from disk C: to D: Any way to do this other than manually changing all the references in Money? -- Eric Bennett In microsoft.public.money, SolaDude wrote: >I have linked a lot of files to transactions in Money Plus. > >I now want to relocate those linked files from disk C: to D: > >Any way to do this other than manually changing all the references in Money? No, sorry. "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message news:disal35kqaqcq4v9bn...

Change of dir of project = Error in MVC++ 6
Hi, guys; I know that what I'm gonna tell sounds almost imposible, but thats why I'm so surprised and don't know what to do: I'm making some changes in a program with VC 6. Every day, when I finish my work, I make a copy of the dir where the code is. Well, now, when I try to run the workspace, and de MVC is loaded it gives an error. I went back to my old copies, and got one with no error. What really surprises me is that, if I change the name of the folder where the code is, MVC gives an error. And if I leave the same name of the dir, it doesn't. That makes no sense fo...

How can I change the current default size for formatting a picture
When I paste a screen print the format size automatically defaults to 4.5" height. How can I change this to default to another size. Ordinarily, Word will restrain the size of an inline object to margin width. If the screen shot is taken at a 3x4 ratio, and your margin width is the default 6", then the height is going to be 4.5". If you paste into a landscape page, it will be larger. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Curious George" <Curious George@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Blue Color Prints as Purple
I am using Publisher 2000 and an HP PSC2355 printer. When I select any blue color, it prints as purple. I have searched Microsoft's website and it sounds like it has something to do with subtractive v. additive colors and says to experiment with colors. I have experimented for hours with no success. Any suggestions? While in a state of ecstasy after repairing his laptop, Ed sees a message from Barb B <Barb B@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > I am using Publisher 2000 and an HP PSC2355 printer. When I select > any blue color, it prints as purple. Do bl...

Fill color
When I open a spread sheet, the menu bar shows the fill color as yellow. When I change it to another color or "no fill" and use it, everything is fine. However, when I close the spread sheet and open it again, the yellow color is shown again. Shouldn't it remain the same until I change it again or select "no fill'? No, that is the way Excel behaves best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Tomg" <Tomg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8C29B46-221F-49B6-8626-AC4FFA1EF4DF@micr...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Formatting changes everytime document re-opens
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a lengthy curriculum document that uses a variety of headings, etc. <br><br>Whenever formatting is applied (graphics, text, etc. are arranged on a particular page) it never stays that way after being saved and re-opened. If the document gets opened by others using an older version of pc office (97-2004) OR pc office version 2007 the formatting is off by a few spaces hence throwing the entire document off. <br><br>Tried inserting section breaks for now and it seems to be working but I&#...

Changing the title of a CChildFrame
I have a doctemplate that has a CCustomerView (CFormView), CCustomerDoc (CDocument) and a CCustomerCF (CChildFrame). In my PreCreate of the CCustomerCF, I have cs.lpszName. But it doesn't work. Why won't that change the title of the child window? Use CDocment::SetTitle(..) to change the title of the child frame. Ali R. "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23hZ6axjtDHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have a doctemplate that has a CCustomerView (CFormView), CCustomerDoc > (CDocument) and a CCustomerCF (CChildFrame). In my PreCreate o...

Change Directory Name on exchange 5.5
I need do change the directory name on a exchnage 5.5 server ??? Help!!! Paulo Paulo: There is no supported method that I am aware of for changing the directory name of Exchange 5.5 objects. Regards, Martin "Fatias" <paulo_fitas@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O%23D1nk4YEHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I need do change the directory name on a exchnage 5.5 server ??? > > Help!!! > Paulo > > ...

Changing color of a single gridline on a chart
I need to change the color of a single grid line on a chart. This is currently not allowed (at least I am not able to). When you change color all the grid lines take the same color. I need to change the color of a single grid line. Please help if you know the answer. You can't colour one gridline, but Jon Peltier has instructions for adding a horizontal line to a chart: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#AddLine Anise Ahmed wrote: > I need to change the color of a single grid line on a > chart. This is currently not allowed (at least I am no...

How can I change the color of hyperlinks in Outllook 2007?
Trying to change the default color of hyperlinks in Outlook2007 to a different color, but not sure if changing the color would overwrite the default color of recipient. Any thoughts? ...

Excel changes "BVE" to "BE"???
I'm using Excel 2002 and when I enter "BVE" in a cell and hit return it results in "BE"(?) Any suggestions? Thanks, Eric Eric, This is caused by the Auto Correct settings. Go to the Tools menu, choose Auto Correct Options, and remove BVE from the list. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Eric C." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:098901c39a34$a7b6d560$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I'm using Excel 2002 and when I enter "BVE" i...

Changed Outlook Behaviror--How to Change Back?
Somehow, I changed Outlook so that two things are not as they were: 1. The keystrokes for "Send," <Ctrl>-<Enter>, no longer work. Nothing happens (I suspect it was a change I made in Word to make it a little more like WordPerfect, but I dunno); and, 2. The keystrokes for "Macro Run," <Alt>-<F8," bring up something related to Help, instead of running a macro. Obviously, it's a newby mistake, and I'll take that. But does anyone know what I did, and how to reverse it? Thanks. Don. ...

Header changing globally, even with link to previous deactivated.

Server name changes
The IT department at work has decided to upgrade our current server farm which will result in the names of the servers changing. My question is how will this affect macro's, links and Hyperlinks etc. in our current reports. Will I have to relink all my Excel files or will they relink automatically when they are opened from the new servers. Any help greatly appreciated "Jebaneesa" <Jebaneesa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD76719C-60F1-406B-B411-43DDA633DC89@microsoft.com... > The IT department at work has decided to upgrade our current server far...