Change application name

I've been trying to find a way to change an application's name. Sounds
easy some would say to just override the WM_SETTEXT in the windowproc
of the mainframe and set the title to what ever I like. That's great
and all but I need a way to prevent the original name from showing up
at all, i.e. system message boxes, and any other notification that may
contain the application name.

I bet you're wondering "Why would someone want to do that?". Well I'm
glad you asked. Here's the situation. I'm selling the same product to a
few customers, but I want to maintain the same product name internally
for versioning purposes. They all know that it is the same product, but
they all want a different name, so I'm trying to come up with a way to
bundle a configuration file in with the installer. This config file
would contain the application name, and everyone is happy. Am I just
being stupid, or is there a way to do this?

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I am assuming it's a doc view app that we are talking about.
So open the string table in the resource editor and change names in the
IDR_MAINFRAME and IDR_XXX for each type of view that you have.

AliR.

"Cliff" <cliff.newton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to find a way to change an application's name. Sounds
> easy some would say to just override the WM_SETTEXT in the windowproc
> of the mainframe and set the title to what ever I like. That's great
> and all but I need a way to prevent the original name from showing up
> at all, i.e. system message boxes, and any other notification that may
> contain the application name.
>
> I bet you're wondering "Why would someone want to do that?". Well I'm
> glad you asked. Here's the situation. I'm selling the same product to a
> few customers, but I want to maintain the same product name internally
> for versioning purposes. They all know that it is the same product, but
> they all want a different name, so I'm trying to come up with a way to
> bundle a configuration file in with the installer. This config file
> would contain the application name, and everyone is happy. Am I just
> being stupid, or is there a way to do this?

0
AliR3470 (3236)
11/10/2006 7:31:46 PM
I would do that, but then I would have to recompile the project for
each customer. So these products wouldn't technically be the same
version anymore. I'm trying to keep the code the same for all
customers, but programmatically change the name of the app.

On Nov 10, 1:31 pm, "AliR \(VC++ MVP\)" <A...@online.nospam> wrote:
> I am assuming it's a doc view app that we are talking about.
> So open the string table in the resource editor and change names in the
> IDR_MAINFRAME and IDR_XXX for each type of view that you have.
>
> AliR.
>
> "Cliff" <cliff.new...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1163186953.414880.21050@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> > I've been trying to find a way to change an application's name. Sounds
> > easy some would say to just override the WM_SETTEXT in the windowproc
> > of the mainframe and set the title to what ever I like. That's great
> > and all but I need a way to prevent the original name from showing up
> > at all, i.e. system message boxes, and any other notification that may
> > contain the application name.
>
> > I bet you're wondering "Why would someone want to do that?". Well I'm
> > glad you asked. Here's the situation. I'm selling the same product to a
> > few customers, but I want to maintain the same product name internally
> > for versioning purposes. They all know that it is the same product, but
> > they all want a different name, so I'm trying to come up with a way to
> > bundle a configuration file in with the installer. This config file
> > would contain the application name, and everyone is happy. Am I just
> > being stupid, or is there a way to do this?

If you don't want to compile different version for different people then you
might want to look into resource dlls, this is a common practice for
programs that support multiple languages.

> I would do that, but then I would have to recompile the project for
> each customer. So these products wouldn't technically be the same
> version anymore. I'm trying to keep the code the same for all
> customers, but programmatically change the name of the app.
>
> On Nov 10, 1:31 pm, "AliR \(VC++ MVP\)" <A...@online.nospam> wrote:
> > I am assuming it's a doc view app that we are talking about.
> > So open the string table in the resource editor and change names in the
> > IDR_MAINFRAME and IDR_XXX for each type of view that you have.
> >
> > AliR.
> >
> > "Cliff" <cliff.new...@gmail.com> wrote in
messagenews:1163186953.414880.21050@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> > > I've been trying to find a way to change an application's name. Sounds
> > > easy some would say to just override the WM_SETTEXT in the windowproc
> > > of the mainframe and set the title to what ever I like. That's great
> > > and all but I need a way to prevent the original name from showing up
> > > at all, i.e. system message boxes, and any other notification that may
> > > contain the application name.
> >
> > > I bet you're wondering "Why would someone want to do that?". Well I'm
> > > glad you asked. Here's the situation. I'm selling the same product to
> > > few customers, but I want to maintain the same product name internally
> > > for versioning purposes. They all know that it is the same product,
but
> > > they all want a different name, so I'm trying to come up with a way to
> > > bundle a configuration file in with the installer. This config file
> > > would contain the application name, and everyone is happy. Am I just
> > > being stupid, or is there a way to do this?

0
AliR3470 (3236)
11/10/2006 8:05:30 PM
"Cliff" <cliff.newton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to find a way to change an application's name. Sounds
> easy some would say to just override the WM_SETTEXT in the windowproc
> of the mainframe and set the title to what ever I like. That's great
> and all but I need a way to prevent the original name from showing up
> at all, i.e. system message boxes, and any other notification that may
> contain the application name.

In CWinApp::InitInstance(), set CWinApp::m_pszAppName to whatever you want
to show up in the messageboxes/caption.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
11/10/2006 9:07:43 PM
That will only change things for the message box, make sure you do that
before you call CWinApp::InitInstance.  But it will not effect anything else
that will show the name of the application.

AliR.

"David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Cliff" <cliff.newton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've been trying to find a way to change an application's name. Sounds
> > easy some would say to just override the WM_SETTEXT in the windowproc
> > of the mainframe and set the title to what ever I like. That's great
> > and all but I need a way to prevent the original name from showing up
> > at all, i.e. system message boxes, and any other notification that may
> > contain the application name.
> >

> In CWinApp::InitInstance(), set CWinApp::m_pszAppName to whatever you want
> to show up in the messageboxes/caption.
>
> -- David

0
AliR3470 (3236)
11/10/2006 9:13:57 PM
forgot to mention that you will have to free the memroy in m_pszAppName.

free((void*)m_pszAppName);

m_pszAppName = _tcsdup(_T("New Application Name"));

AliR.

"AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
> That will only change things for the message box, make sure you do that
> before you call CWinApp::InitInstance.  But it will not effect anything
else
> that will show the name of the application.
>
> AliR.
>
> "David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Cliff" <cliff.newton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I've been trying to find a way to change an application's name. Sounds
> > > easy some would say to just override the WM_SETTEXT in the windowproc
> > > of the mainframe and set the title to what ever I like. That's great
> > > and all but I need a way to prevent the original name from showing up
> > > at all, i.e. system message boxes, and any other notification that may
> > > contain the application name.
> > >

> > In CWinApp::InitInstance(), set CWinApp::m_pszAppName to whatever you
want
> > to show up in the messageboxes/caption.
> >
> > -- David

0
AliR3470 (3236)

Changing text in X and Z reports
Hi, I want to change a text in X and Z reports. The original text is "Paid on Account." I want it to say "On Account." How can I do the change? I already found the XML report template but don't know where to go from there. Thank you in advance. Win open file in Frontpage or text editor. Do "find" and type in "paid on account" to get you to the section quickly. or, just roll down until you find this section =========================== Section: Grand Total Out =========================== --> <!--BOOKMARK--> <ROW...

How to change multiple folders views in Outlook
When you first create an account within Outlook (currently using 2007 but I'm sure it's the same for other versions) it defaults the folders so that certain columns are visable they all have the viewing pane enabled. Is there a way of changing one folder so that all folders look identicle (Deleted, Drafts, Inbox, Junk E-Mail, Outbox etc etc etc). I'm sure there must be a way but I'd be damned if I can find it...and it's driving me nuts!! Cheers Glenn gloriousglenn@hotmail.com <gloriousglenn@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way of changing one folder so that a...

9.0 Table Changes
Will be updating to V9, am looking for a list of the tables that changed and the documentation says it is on V9 cd 2, under the SDK But I don't see anything on the CD so do I have to install v9, and the SDK before I can get a list of the table names? -- Doug You need to install the SDK "Doug" wrote: > Will be updating to V9, am looking for a list of the tables that changed and > the documentation says it is on V9 cd 2, under the SDK > > But I don't see anything on the CD so do I have to install v9, and the SDK > before I can get a list of the tabl...

Server Application Unavailable 06-14-06
Dear All, In one of our customer's site CRM 1.2 is implemented on the following environment: SBS 2003 (with relevant SPs) SQL Server 2000 (with relevant SPs) MS CRM 1.2 Exchange MS CRM intermittently gives "Server Application Unavailable" whenever I try to access CRM. All the services are running. No event logs. Although the error message says that an Application Event Log for the Web Server has been logged, I dont see any log in the Event Viewer. And moreover CRM also displays the authentication form before giving that error. That means the CRM Authentication service is...

How can I change the program used when following a hyperlink
I have a database which uses hyperlinks to take me to a set of image files, gif & jpeg. I have recently moved to Firefox. If I click on a link to a gif file it opens in Firefox, but if I do the same for a jpg it persists in using IE. The file association for jpg files on the computer are to Photoshop. But I prefer opening the links in the browser as I am only viewing, not editing, the files Anyone got any ideas JimR Use a button that when clicked calls this code (pass in the value on the hyperlink field): Public Sub OpenWebPage(url As String) Dim browser As Vari...

Event ID in Application Log
I am currently running Exchange 2003 SP1 on both my Front-end and Back-end Servers. I am getting the Event ID 7200 on the Front-end Server. The error that I'm getting is "Background thread FDoUpdateCatalog halted on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (FRONT-END)" due to error code 0x80004005. " I am not running any Full-Text Indexing, it has never been installed. I am also not running any type of Virus scan on this server. It is occuring every 30 minutes on the dot. I have researched for the past two days and can very little information on how to re...

Record Change Confirmation
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0081_01CAB184.C1BB7DD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Access 2007 sp2 I'm using the following code I found on the web, on a Single Form, to = have the user choose to either save the record or not save the record or close the message box and continue editing: Private Sub cmdSaveAndClose_Click() If Me.Dirty Then Dim BlnOutcome As Integer BlnOutcome =3D MsgBox("Record(s) have been added or changed." _ ...

2003 OWA
We are having problems when end users hit the cancel button on the Exchange 2003 OWA password change screen, it actually gives an ASP error when hitting the cancel button on this particular screen. Does anyone have an TechNet Articles on why this doesn't work? Dear Sabo, Thanks for posting here. In order to narrow down the problem, please provide me with the detailed message of the ASP error. You may capture a screen shoot and attach the picture when you post back. Also, I would like to give you the detailed steps for enable change password in Exchange 2003 OWA: You must firs...

Application Very Slow
I am using Access 2003 FE & BE application. My BE is in the server and about 15 Nos of simultanious users accessing the database with FE (MDE format) application which is on there own Pc's. For almost all recordset operations I have used "db.OpenRecordset("", dbOpenDynaset)" type in my FE application. If only one user is using the application, then it is very fast and just after any of other user logged on to the system then the whole application performance dropping down considerably. And also two users are not using the same form as well as not using the sa...

Change measurements from inches to centimeters in EXCEL 2002?
I want to see measurements for margins for Page Setup in both Centimeters and Inches - how do I change the display? (EXCEL 2002) ...

Why can't I click on the signature section to change my signature
When I go into tools, options, and then the mail format tab, the signature option is greyed out and I can't click on it. I therefore cant edit my existing sugnature or create a new one. I've tried changing the format options to compose the message in, and still no luck. Are you perhaps in a corporate environment? Then you mail admin might have disabled that option as a corporate policy. Ask him/her or your manager for more information. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, ...

name appearing in the outgoing mail
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I would like to change the way the name in each of my accounts shows up in sent emails. I have changed the account settings but the old name still shows up. Any suggestions? <br> Thanks. On 2010-05-04 16:45:26 -0400, Bila@officeformac.com said: > I would like to change the way the name in each of my accounts shows up > in sent emails. I have changed the account settings but the old name > still shows up. Any suggestions? Well if you have indeed changed the name prop...

.xls changes sizes from one computer to another
An excel worksheet that we use prints out nicely on one computer; however, when another user accesses it off of the network and does a print preview, the columns of the worksheet squash together in the middle of the worksheet into and only by reducing the view by 99% is the second user able to print correctly. I don't know the circumstances regarding this but I am told this is the way it has always been. Any input would be greatly appreciated. ...

Problem Changing from Average Costing to FIFO Perpetual (Version 9
Our company changed our inventory valuation method from FIFO Perpetual to Average Costing. After two months we reverted back to FIFO Perpetual. We now have a problem when we create a new SOP document. The cost that the system is retrieving on the document is the CURRCOST from IV00101, not the STNDCOST as we would expect. We have run the Change valuation method utility and have checked links and reconciled, but this behaviour continues. If we create a new item that have not gone through this FIFO to AVG to FIFO chance cycle it picks up the STNDCOST correctly. Any ideas? Thanks, J...

Money 2003: Change investment type from fund to stock
One of my investments was set up incorrectly as a mutual fund rather than a stock. Now when I sync with my brokerage website, it doesn't find the stock (since Money thinks it's a mutual fund) and it wants to add all the stock shares to my account as new shares. How can I change the investment type from mutual fund to stock from the Investments area? There are no menu options to do so and the online help doesn't provide any clues. I have several years worth of transactions for this stock, so I'd hate to have to re-enter them all. In microsoft.public.money, IanP. wrote: >...

How to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula?
In order to simplify the maintenance of workbook formulas I need to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula =[myWorkbok.xls]mySheet!$E4 in this way =[A1]mySheet!$E4 given the file name stored in cell A1 Cell A1 : myWorkbook How do I write the formula to make it work? Will it work even if the referenced workbook is closed? Regards Frank Krogh The function you'd want to use is =indirect(). But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed. Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at: http://xcell05.free.fr/ or http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm ...

Read-only files
I want to email an MS Publisher 03 file. It is read-only protected, but it can still be accessed and changes made, although it has to be saved with another file name. Is it possible to make it unaccessible - so that no changes can be made at all? no. and it doesn't even have to be saved with a different name, all you have to do is change the file attributes. "secretariat" <secretariat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CFB98E4-29E7-4AC6-BBB4-177EE7F5C982@microsoft.com... |I want to email an MS Publisher 03 file. It is read-only protected, but it |...

Changing multiple appointment times
I have hundreds of appointments and would like to move them back one hour. I know there is a link in microsofts support site that lets you change the time zone without changing appointment times. However, recurring appointments are not supported by that method. Does anyone know of a way to move all my appointments back one hour? ...

how to change font on printed copy of outlook calendar week view
When I print out my calendar by the week the font is too small. I can't find how to increase the size of the font so it PRINTS larger. I could change it on the view of the calendar but it doesn't change on the print preview. Randi Steiger;110316 Wrote: > When I print out my calendar by the week the font is too small. I can't > find > how to increase the size of the font so it PRINTS larger. I could > change it > on the view of the calendar but it doesn't change on the print preview. Which version of Outlook? Did you check the page setup options w...

Changing the names of fields in tables after creating other object
I just leaned about the naming conventions after I have created my tables, reports and several queries. Can I change the name of fields in my tables (to remove the spaces and give them unique names ie not just last name but childlastname) without destroying the work I have done in queries, reports, and forms. Mary -- Positive Direction for Youth & Families, Inc. (www.pdfyinc.com) Possibly. If you are using a newer version of Access, say 2003 or 2007 AND you have Name Autocorrect, and all it's options, enabled, it MIGHT work. I found it somewhat buggy. Before you...

MS Word file extension changed through e-mail
MS Word .docx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .doc instead. The same is true for MS Excel .xlsx changed to .xls Speak firmly to whoever set up the email system. They have not applied their updates. When the file goes through, it is being recognised as a Microsoft Word file, but the extension is being wrongly changed. Some free-mail web services have a bad habit of doing this. It's not a Word problem, the change is being made either by the sending email program or the receiving email program. Cheers On 24/02/10 2:32 PM, in article 2e082f5...

enforce user change their password every 30 days
Hi we are using GP9 and sql2005. How do I set up user password change every 30 days? Thanks Set this in the user setup window against the advanced sql server options. You need to have a Windows Server 2003 domain for this to work - if you don't have this, then the option will be grayed out. I believe SQL Server just enforces the Windows domain password policy, so I think you would need to set that to password change every 30 days. "mecn" wrote: > Hi > > we are using GP9 and sql2005. How do I set up user password change every 30 > days? > > Than...

Dynamically change pick lists?
Has anyone found a workaround for the following : dynamically change the choices in one pick list based on the selection in a second, associated pick list. I know this question has been asked before, just wondering if someone found a resolution for it. I haven't tried it yet, but it is my understanding that you can write JavaScript code in the OnChange event for the first picklist that will modify the valid values in the second picklist. HTH, Dave >-----Original Message----- >Has anyone found a workaround for the following : > >dynamically change the choices in one pick...

Changing Default Contacts List for E-mail
I have two separate Contacts lists open. When I go to select names for the e-mail addresses, Outlook always defaults to the wrong list, and I have to manually select the other one. How can I change the default list that shows up when I click on the "to:" header field in an e- mail? Outlook version? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Michael Leu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:056501...

How can I compare the column names from 2 tables and output them?
I have a requirement to place an alert if the field does not exist in my table, tblStaging. Can any one guide me to reframe this query with error handling messages? I know it is not good practice to use select * but I need to do this as my columns\field names change each time. INSERT INTO tblStaging SELECT * FROM tbl_XL,tblDetails; Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201003/1 Access is a relational database. If your "table design" has the fields in your table(s) changing frequently,...