CButton & CStatic (special characters)

I'm having troubles displaying special chars inside CButton and CStatic.

If I do this:

m_btnOK.SetWindowText("�Ʈ��");

It works fine.

But if I load strings from reources (using CString::LoadString), it doesn't
work. :( It display some chars, but some replaces with wrong chars. My
strings are stored inside MyProject.rc file (ANSI encoding).

What should I do?

0
my.fake (136)
9/26/2005 3:07:13 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Is the font you are using for the Button and Static the correct font?

AliR.

"Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message

> I'm having troubles displaying special chars inside CButton and CStatic.
>
> If I do this:
>
> m_btnOK.SetWindowText("�Ʈ��");
>
> It works fine.
>
> But if I load strings from reources (using CString::LoadString), it
doesn't
> work. :( It display some chars, but some replaces with wrong chars. My
> strings are stored inside MyProject.rc file (ANSI encoding).
>
> What should I do?

0
AliR3470 (3236)
9/26/2005 8:43:33 PM
I presume because ;you did not use _T() around the quoted string that you are using an
8-bit ANSI app.  Are you sure all these characters are defined in the default font that
you have selected?   MS Sans Serif, for example, is notoriously bad in this regard (for
reasons that seem inexplicable).
					joe

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:07:13 +0200, "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote:

>I'm having troubles displaying special chars inside CButton and CStatic.
>
>If I do this:
>
>m_btnOK.SetWindowText("�Ʈ��");
>
>It works fine.
>
>But if I load strings from reources (using CString::LoadString), it doesn't
>work. :( It display some chars, but some replaces with wrong chars. My
>strings are stored inside MyProject.rc file (ANSI encoding).
>
>What should I do?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
9/27/2005 12:45:58 AM
What font would you suggest? We have n applications using MS Sans Serif,
with the layout tailored for this font. Our users want to see greek letters
for certain maths symbols. Is there a font which is identical to MS Sans
Serif but which has more characters?

> I presume because ;you did not use _T() around the quoted string that you
are using an
> 8-bit ANSI app.  Are you sure all these characters are defined in the
default font that
> you have selected?   MS Sans Serif, for example, is notoriously bad in
this regard (for
> reasons that seem inexplicable).
> joe
>
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:07:13 +0200, "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net>
wrote:

> >I'm having troubles displaying special chars inside CButton and CStatic.
> >
> >If I do this:
> >
> >m_btnOK.SetWindowText("�Ʈ��");
> >
> >It works fine.
> >
> >But if I load strings from reources (using CString::LoadString), it
doesn't
> >work. :( It display some chars, but some replaces with wrong chars. My
> >strings are stored inside MyProject.rc file (ANSI encoding).
> >
> >What should I do?
> >
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

kma1 (58)
9/27/2005 5:41:23 AM
> Is the font you are using for the Button and Static the correct font?

I'm using default font and I even don't know which it is. :( MS SansSerif?
How can I change font? Which fonts are similar to default font?

0
my.fake (136)
9/27/2005 7:19:05 AM
>I presume because ;you did not use _T() around the quoted string that you
>are using an
> 8-bit ANSI app.

Where should I use _T() macro: in my .rc file where resource strings are
stored? I've tried that:

IDS_S_STR_CANCEL _T("Preklici")

and got an error:

error RC2104 : undefined keyword or key name: _T

Do I need _T() if I'm not using UNICODE builds?

> Are you sure all these characters are defined in the default font that
> you have selected?   MS Sans Serif, for example, is notoriously bad in
> this regard (for
> reasons that seem inexplicable).

As I said, if I set CButton caption from code:

m_btnCancel.SetWindowText("�Ʈ��");

it works fine. It display all special characters correctly. But if I retrive
resource strings using LoadString:

CString s;
s.LoadString(IDS_S_STR_CANCEL);
m_btnCancel.SetWindowText(s);

I can't see all special characters. :(

This means that it is not problem in CButton or MS Sans Serif font, but in
way I'm getting resource strings from .rc file.

I forgot to say that I'm using very old VC++ 6.0 with SP6.

0
my.fake (136)
9/27/2005 7:57:26 AM
Works fine now. :) Here is the solution.

I had all strings (English + one forign language) inside one string table.
When I separated them, each in its own string table, and inside "properties"
of each string table set proper language, then it workd just fine. :)

0
my.fake (136)
9/27/2005 9:51:29 AM
MS Sans Serif definitely does not have greek letters. Just use Character Map to check it
out!  What I did was write a control that simply had an OnPaint handler that used a
version of Symbol font, and when I saw 'us' I rendered it as "m" (using Symbol font) and
"s" (using MS Sans Serif).  I've used this trick many times; for example, to render music,
I saw that #, b, n, and a couple other letters were used for the sharp, flat, natural, and
double-sharp and double-flat symbols.  So I wrote a static control that parsed the string,
and when it found one of those letters (because I was only showing key signature
information and similar musical values, rather than general text), it would do a series of
TextOut operations (using TA_UPDATECP), using the appropriate font.  For example, see the
screen shots at
http://www.reedkotler.com/transkriber/manual/manual.html
any appearance of # or b is done this way.  Short of building a Unicode app and using a
Unicode-compliant font with the characters you need (e.g., Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma)
there's no way you're going to get this to happen otherwise.  I can't release the code I
wrote, but I just told you what you need to know to do it.  You could put explicit "shift"
characters in if you want, e.g.

IDS_MICROSECONDS "#m#s"

where # represents a character you've chosen to be your "shift" character, which your
OnPaint handler recognizes as shifting to symbol.  Or you could write
IDS_MICROSECONDS "#symbol,m#s
where you name the font.  Using this and a custom subclass you could even set the strings
at design time (which I did for some of the music controls). It shouldn't take more than
an hour or so to write the code that does this, and then the problem is solved.
				joe

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:41:23 +0200, "KMA" <kma@chum.com> wrote:

>What font would you suggest? We have n applications using MS Sans Serif,
>with the layout tailored for this font. Our users want to see greek letters
>for certain maths symbols. Is there a font which is identical to MS Sans
>Serif but which has more characters?

>> I presume because ;you did not use _T() around the quoted string that you
>are using an
>> 8-bit ANSI app.  Are you sure all these characters are defined in the
>default font that
>> you have selected?   MS Sans Serif, for example, is notoriously bad in
>this regard (for
>> reasons that seem inexplicable).
>> joe
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:07:13 +0200, "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net>
>wrote:
>>

>> >I'm having troubles displaying special chars inside CButton and CStatic.
>> >
>> >If I do this:
>> >
>> >m_btnOK.SetWindowText("�Ʈ��");
>> >
>> >It works fine.
>> >
>> >But if I load strings from reources (using CString::LoadString), it
>doesn't
>> >work. :( It display some chars, but some replaces with wrong chars. My
>> >strings are stored inside MyProject.rc file (ANSI encoding).
>> >
>> >What should I do?
>> >
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
9/27/2005 2:59:00 PM
You did SetWIndowText of a literal string using 8--bit characters.  The discussion of .rc
files never came up.  All resources are implicitly Unicode.

Did you look at what characters are being loaded?  I've certainly used the copyright
symbol, the registered-trademark symbol, and accented characters in strings in the
resources, without a problem.  Otherwise we couldn't export some of our code, or claim
trademark.
				joe

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:57:26 +0200, "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote:

>>I presume because ;you did not use _T() around the quoted string that you
>>are using an
>> 8-bit ANSI app.
>
>Where should I use _T() macro: in my .rc file where resource strings are
>stored? I've tried that:
>
>IDS_S_STR_CANCEL _T("Preklici")
>
>and got an error:
>
>error RC2104 : undefined keyword or key name: _T
>
>Do I need _T() if I'm not using UNICODE builds?
>
>> Are you sure all these characters are defined in the default font that
>> you have selected?   MS Sans Serif, for example, is notoriously bad in
>> this regard (for
>> reasons that seem inexplicable).
>
>As I said, if I set CButton caption from code:
>
>m_btnCancel.SetWindowText("�Ʈ��");
>
>it works fine. It display all special characters correctly. But if I retrive
>resource strings using LoadString:
>
>CString s;
>s.LoadString(IDS_S_STR_CANCEL);
>m_btnCancel.SetWindowText(s);
>
>I can't see all special characters. :(
>
>This means that it is not problem in CButton or MS Sans Serif font, but in
>way I'm getting resource strings from .rc file.
>
>I forgot to say that I'm using very old VC++ 6.0 with SP6.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
9/27/2005 3:01:26 PM
Or you could use a Rich Edit control, and see if you can fooll it into looking like a
label (disable it, perhaps? I've not seen what this does to text color in rich edit)
				joe

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:59:00 -0400, Joseph M. Newcomer <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:

> [...]
>an hour or so to write the code that does this, and then the problem is solved.
>				joe
>
>On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:41:23 +0200, "KMA" <kma@chum.com> wrote:
>
>>What font would you suggest? We have n applications using MS Sans Serif,
>>with the layout tailored for this font. Our users want to see greek letters
>>for certain maths symbols. Is there a font which is identical to MS Sans
>>Serif but which has more characters?
>>
>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> I presume because ;you did not use _T() around the quoted string that you
>>are using an
>>> 8-bit ANSI app.  Are you sure all these characters are defined in the
>>default font that
>>> you have selected?   MS Sans Serif, for example, is notoriously bad in

9/27/2005 5:16:23 PM
Thanks. The method you describe should cause us the least hassle.

> [...]
solved.
> joe
>
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:41:23 +0200, "KMA" <kma@chum.com> wrote:
>
> >What font would you suggest? We have n applications using MS Sans Serif,
> >with the layout tailored for this font. Our users want to see greek
letters
> >for certain maths symbols. Is there a font which is identical to MS Sans
> >Serif but which has more characters?
> >
> >"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
> >> I presume because ;you did not use _T() around the quoted string that
you
> >are using an
> >> 8-bit ANSI app.  Are you sure all these characters are defined in the
> >default font that
> >> you have selected?   MS Sans Serif, for example, is notoriously bad in

kma1 (58)

Removing last character of cell
I am trying to remove a comma which happens to be the last character in the cell. Does anyone know how to do this? Mira, You can use a combination of the Left and Right functions. Insert a blank column to the right of column you wish to change. In my example I will assume the data is in column A. Change the formula as necessary. In the empty cell enter the formula: =IF(RIGHT(A1,1)=",",LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1),A1) This formula is checking to see if the last character in cell A1 is infact a comma. If it is the formula will return all of the characters in cell A1 except the last...

Problem Displaying Non-English (UTF-8) Characters
Hi. I`m having a problem with Excel displaying non-English (UTF-8 format) characters in a column. Instead of displaying the characters, it displays "?" for each character. I have selected the appropriate non-English language under Editing Language settings. This occurs on both Excel 2003 and 2007. Is there a way to get these characters to display correctly? Thanks, Alan ...

how to find on screen amimated character
how do u get an animated screen character to come up on ur screen? i have windows vista Hello LFGuard395, I'm sorry there are no animated screen characters in the Microsoft Project software, so I am guessing that you are not discussing Project? I suggest looking again at the software program you are trying to view the animated screen character in (Word?, Excel?) and then reposting your question to the appropriate newsgroup. See the listing at: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Pr...

strip characters out of a field
Is it possible to write a formula to do the following: Take 02-Jan-03 07:47:48 and strip out the time to make the field look like 02-Jan-03 Thanks, Matt IT, We need to know if this is a text field or a date field. If it's a text field, it's simply = left(A2,9) If it's a date field, then = int(a2) or just format, cells, select "dd-mmm-yy" will probably work. regards, JohnI "IT" <fpw@texas.net> wrote in message news:n2qmkv4e5i1bc09nn65mmaefd3cn8hv18v@4ax.com... > Is it possible to write a formula to do the following: > > Take &g...

Displaying non-English characters
Hello I have a .csv file whic have the following characters N�UAI N�SIRET N�FINESS but are being displayed like this N°UAI N°SIRET N°FINESS what changes do i need to carryout in the "Options" to display the characters correctly regards barry On Feb 12, 7:23 pm, "barry" <some...@somewhere.com> wrote: > Hello Make sure that you have the relevant code pages installed on your computer so that it can display the characters. > > I have a .csv file whic have the following characters > > N=B0UAI N=B0SIRET ...

changing the font for a CButton
I wonder if someone could tell me what I need to do differently below, in order to change the font for a CButton. It's my first time to experiment with this class. CFont buttonfont; buttonfont.CreatePointFont(100,_T("Comic Sans MS")); CRect buttonrect(50,50,200,100); m_ResponseTimeButton.Create(_T ("Response Time"), WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | BS_PUSHBUTTON, buttonrect, this, 100); m_ResponseTimeButton.SetFont(&buttonfont); "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23jLjvN6xFHA.3856@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I...

How to prevent Calendar from truncating appointments at 14 charact
In monthly view, Outlook Calendar truncates appointments at 14 characters preventing phone numbers or other details from appearing on the screen and when printing. You can't. If you use Outlook 2007, use the calendar printing assistant or a printing utility - the word templates are nice. See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/calendar_print.asp for links. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a w...

Spurious characters on invoice
I have been using Money 2000 for years. For some reason it has started to print the work sky and a line of boxes at the bottom of the invoice. The work and boxes dont appear on the form anywhere obvious but they are on the print preview. Anyone seen this before and have any idea how to delete these odd characters. ...

Special characters for foreign text
I have several contacts in Italy or France. Can anyone help me figure ou how I can add accents and other special characters into Microsoft Office products? Marina Post <marina@rockethockey.com> wrote: Hi Marina, > I have several contacts in Italy or France. Can anyone help me figure > ou how I can add accents and other special characters into Microsoft > Office products? Same way as you'd do in other apps. You can use shortcuts on the keyboard. the Keycaps application, which is part of the system, should help you figure out what you need to type (it depends...

CStatic and scroll bar
Hello, I have a dialog app with bitmap control in it. I use CStatic control member variable (say m_static) in CDialog derived class (say CMyDialog). In OnInitDialog() I call m_static.ShowScrollBar(SB_HORZ, TRUE) and m_static.ShowScrollBar(SB_VERT, TRUE) to show two scroll bars in bitmap control. NOTE: scroll bars belong to bitmap control. In OnSizing() I use m_static.SetScrollInfo() to set different parameters of scroll bars. But I can't process WM_HSCROLL and WM_VSCROLL if I set CMyDialog::OnHScroll() and CMyDialog::OnVScroll(). When I try to use my own CStatic derived class to handle m...

calculate font size to fit text in a multiline CStatic
Hallo! I'm having some multiline CStatic controls in my dialog. Is there a simple way to calculate the maximum font size for the text so that it best fits in the control? Thanks for any help Maik "Maik Wiege" <mswiege-nospan-@gmx.de> wrote in message news:44dcec22$0$26552$9b622d9e@news.freenet.de... > Hallo! > I'm having some multiline CStatic controls in my dialog. Is there a > simple way to calculate the maximum font size for the text so that it > best fits in the control? > One way would be to select a Font/size and call DrawText with DT_CALCR...

Merged Cell Character Limitation?
Is there a limitation to the number of characters that can be entered into a merged cell? I have a document which has a merged cell consisting of 12 rows and 9 coulmns (for text entry). I set the cell to word wrap. However the word wrapping ceases after roughly 1500 characters, and the text is no longer visible to the user in the cell (even though there appears to be room). If this is a limitation, is there a known work around? Hi there's a maximum of 1024 characters per cell. Though you can increase this by manually adding line breaks with ALT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Fra...

Additional Characters Added to Outlook signature
Outlook is adding the following characters to the beginning of my signature (hopefully they display) : =EF=BB=BF It does not seem to matter what font or encoding I'm using, or how simple my signature is (even a signature of "Ben Carlson" will produce the characters). Several other people have had this problem: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/threa= d/56869c0f52baf721/89fd7596d17e8ac0?q=3Dsignature+characters&rnum=3D1#89fd7= 596d17e8ac0 http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/threa= d/f2e27db2a58f730f/b919...

Can I fix a field length when inputting e.g. 30 characters?
Can I create a field that stops the person inputting data, into an excel worksheet, when it reaches 30 characters? Please advise Cheers Colin Hi Colin You can use Data Validation in the menubar Choose Text length -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Colin" <colincurious@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bbb06f96.0312221111.1f7aa333@posting.google.com... > Can I create a field that stops the person inputting data, into an > excel worksheet, when it reaches 30 characters? > > Please advise > Cheers > Colin ...

Question realated to paragraph vs. character styles
Hi, Do you guys know whether it's possible to have a style that just specifies the paragraph-level properties of a body of text and not the character-level properties of a body of text? I'm working with notes with colored font in outline format. Sometimes I'd like to change outline level of bodies of text in the outline, but when I change outline level by applying list-linked paragraph styles, I lose the coloring of my font. Thanks for your help, Clark Hi Clark, If you select some text in a paragraph and apply a different paragraph style to it, th...

limitation of characters in query?
I am trying to write a condition in my query using IIf statement and the statement is quite long. But I facing a problems that I am not able to type out all the condition in the query. Is there any limits for character type in the query field? On 9 Apr 2007 19:10:02 -0700, xiaodan86@hotmail.com wrote: >I am trying to write a condition in my query using IIf statement and >the statement is quite long. >But I facing a problems that I am not able to type out all the >condition in the query. >Is there any limits for character type in the query field? Yes: 1024 bytes if I recall a...

Special Characters
I looking to find out if it is possible to use special characters i Excel msgbox's. Mainly the copyright and TM symbols. I tried the mos obvious method I could think of by copying and pasting them in fro word but that failed misserably! Anyone able to help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi for those two special characters use - copyright symbol: Chr(169) - TM symbol: Chr(153) e.g. msgbox "Copyright: " & Chr(169) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I looking to find out if it is possible to use special characters in > Excel msgbox...

CStatic and DC
Hi, I would like to some specific things (modify http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/diagrameditor.asp) to use real CWnd derived control and in this framework there is a method to draw object : void CDiagramLine::Draw( CDC* dc, CRect rect ) { } Would it be possible to create a CStatic like this : m_pControl = new CStatic; m_pWnd = m_pControl; m_hWnd = m_pControl->GetSafeHwnd(); CRect rectPos = GetRect(); m_pControl->CreateEx(0,"STATIC","Label",WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 10, 10, 10, 10, NULL,NULL); and after to tell the contro...

special characters problem

XML parsing error: Invalid unicode character value for this platform
I've seen a couple other posts on this but no real answers. I'm trying to do a bulk insert and everything is fine until I run the objCom.ExecuteNonQuery() statement at which point I get the XML parsing error. Of course, it would be easy to simply wrap unicode characters with CDATA <![CDATA[ &#xD;&#xA ]]> but is this doable when passing values to fields to create a row since a whole row is treated as a single element? I.e.: <FileProperty File_ID_FK=\"80\" Property_Name_VC=\"Categories\" Property_Value=\"\" Property_DataType_VC=\"ol...

Strange characters in signature
Outlook 2000 is putting odd characters in my new messges,=20 but only when I have a signature defined. This happened=20 recently, after years of no problems! My signature now=20 looks like this: =20 =EF=BB=BF=20 David M. Foster Without a signature, a new message looks like this: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0=20 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;=20 charset=3Dutf-8"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"=20 name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY> <DIV>&am...

Removing Non Printable Characters
Does Access have a function like the Excel function Clean that will strip out the Non Printable Characters in a column? I have a file that is too large to use Excel -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200704/1 On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:26:30 GMT, "Fredriksson via AccessMonster.com" <u27002@uwe> wrote: >Does Access have a function like the Excel function Clean that will strip out >the Non Printable Characters in a column? I have a file that is too large to >use Excel Not directly, but you can run an Upda...

How can i use the dash character, "-", to sort data?
If i wanted to sort the info below into two different columns, how would I do it?SOMRVLLE - SOMERVILLE SOUTH - SOUTHERN REG. ST. JOHN - ST. JOHN VIANNEY ST. ROSE - ST. ROSE HIGH ST. ROSE - ST. ROSE HIGH STAF - SOUTHERN REG. Hi use 'Data - Text to columns' to split the content into two columns -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1F8EE451-7B54-49D1-B8C7-B21575180B81@microsoft.com... > If i wanted to sort the info below into two different columns, how would I do > it?SOMRVLLE - SOMERVILLE ...

Special right is required?
Hi, I just did some customizations in CRM 4.0 I added a menu (with the ISV) in Outlook and the webclient where a simple user-view is shown. So all users can easily get phonenumbers of their coworkers. My problem is, that not everybody sees the menu - and I guess it has to do with insufficient rights. As I don't want to give too much rights to normal workers, but I want them to see the menu (I want extend that in the future) I added user-read rightts but that doesn't seem to be enough. What screw I have to tight to fix that ;-) If you have any idea - please discruibe the right on ...

Special Characters Disappeared
I am using Publisher 2003. Today, some of my special characters are no longer visible on the screen. I can see hard paragraph breaks and the dots that represent spaces. But for some reason my tab characters and soft paragraph breaks don't show up any more. In Word, you click on "tools", then "options", then "view" to select which special characters to display on the screen. There is no "view" page in Publisher. Can someone help me find my special characters again? Have you considered using *Detect and Repair* in the Help menu? -- Mary Saue...