Caption bar implementation

The educational software that I am developing requires a non-standard
appearance.  I do need a caption bar for the application, but it must
appear much different than a normal Windows caption bar (think ITunes or
Winamp).  The problem I have is, how can I implement the "move window"
functionality in this caption bar control I am creating?  What is the best
way to do that?
0
swradio (4)
4/8/2004 2:30:34 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

>The problem I have is, how can I implement the "move window"
> functionality in this caption bar control I am creating?  What is the
best
> way to do that?

Based on my understanding, do you mean you want to implement the "move
window"
functionality to a caption bar liked area(I think the caption bar in the
iTunes is not a control ) you customized?

If so, you can handle the window's WM_NCHITTEST message as follows:
UINT CAppWindow : : OnNcHitTest (Cpoint point )
{
    UINT nHitTest =CDialog: : OnNcHitTest (point );// or CView : :
OnNcHitTest (point );

    //Do some test to check if the mouse points on the caption bar liked
area,
    // if it does, use the following code or directlly move the window via
SetWindowPos with SWP_NOSIZE
    //else return nHitTest :

    if("point on the caption bar liked area")
        return HTCAPTION;
    return nHitTest ;
}

Thanks!

Best regards,

Gary Chang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------

0
v-garych (605)

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C41E09.07E05DA0

Here is how I do it.  I have a FrameWindow without the standard system =
stuff (you have to specify window style without buttons, borders and =
menu if you want the frame window to not have the standard things).  =
Then I have a rectangular region at the top of the Window - painted the =
way I want it.  I handle LButtonDown as below.
void CMyFrame::OnLButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point)=20

{

        // TODO: Add your message handler code here and/or call default

        if(m_rcBand.PtInRect(point)) {

                SendMessage(WM_SYSCOMMAND,SC_MOVE|0x0002);

        }

        CFrameWnd::OnLButtonDown(nFlags, point);

}

"Gary Chang" <v-garych@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> Hi,
>=20
> >The problem I have is, how can I implement the "move window"=20
> > functionality in this caption bar control I am creating?  What is =
the=20
> best=20
> > way to do that?
>=20
> Based on my understanding, do you mean you want to implement the "move =

> window"=20
> functionality to a caption bar liked area(I think the caption bar in =
the=20
> iTunes is not a control ) you customized?
>=20
> If so, you can handle the window's WM_NCHITTEST message as follows:
> UINT CAppWindow : : OnNcHitTest (Cpoint point )
> {
>     UINT nHitTest =3DCDialog: : OnNcHitTest (point );// or CView : :=20
> OnNcHitTest (point );
>=20
>     //Do some test to check if the mouse points on the caption bar =
liked=20
> area,
>     // if it does, use the following code or directlly move the window =
via=20
> SetWindowPos with SWP_NOSIZE
>     //else return nHitTest :
>=20
>     if("point on the caption bar liked area")
>         return HTCAPTION;
>     return nHitTest ;=20
> }
>=20
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> Best regards,
>=20
> Gary Chang
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>=20
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no =
rights.
> --------------------

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C41E09.07E05DA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here is how I do it.&nbsp; I have a =
FrameWindow=20
without the standard system stuff (you have to specify window style =
without=20
buttons, borders and menu if you want the frame window to not have the =
standard=20
things).&nbsp; Then I have a rectangular region at the top of the Window =
-=20
painted the way I want it.&nbsp; I handle LButtonDown as =
below.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#0000ff>
<P>void</FONT> <FONT color=3D#808080>CMyFrame</FONT>::<FONT=20
color=3D#880000>OnLButtonDown</FONT>(<FONT color=3D#0000ff>UINT</FONT> =
<FONT=20
color=3D#808080>nFlags</FONT>, <FONT color=3D#0000ff>CPoint</FONT> <FONT =

color=3D#808080>point</FONT>) </P>
<P>{</P>
<P><FONT color=3D#009900>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; // TODO: =
Add your=20
message handler code here and/or call default</P></FONT>
<P></P>
<P><FONT color=3D#0000ff>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
if</FONT>(<FONT=20
color=3D#808080>m_rcBand</FONT>.<FONT =
color=3D#880000>PtInRect</FONT>(<FONT=20
color=3D#808080>point</FONT>)) {</P>
<P><FONT color=3D#a000a0>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; SendMessage</FONT>(<FONT=20
color=3D#a000a0>WM_SYSCOMMAND</FONT>,<FONT=20
color=3D#a000a0>SC_MOVE</FONT>|0x0002);</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; }</P>
<P><FONT color=3D#0000ff>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
CFrameWnd</FONT>::<FONT color=3D#880000>OnLButtonDown</FONT>(<FONT=20
color=3D#808080>nFlags</FONT>, <FONT color=3D#808080>point</FONT>);</P>
<P>}</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Gary Chang" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:v-garych@online.microsoft.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>v-garych@online.microsoft.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt;=20
wrote in message </FONT><A=20
href=3D"news:fE$SjNfHEHA.3444@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>news:fE$SjNfHEHA.3444@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; Hi,<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; &gt;The=20
problem I have is, how can I implement the "move window" <BR>&gt; &gt;=20
functionality in this caption bar control I am creating?&nbsp; What is =
the=20
<BR>&gt; best <BR>&gt; &gt; way to do that?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Based on my =

understanding, do you mean you want to implement the "move <BR>&gt; =
window"=20
<BR>&gt; functionality to a caption bar liked area(I think the caption =
bar in=20
the <BR>&gt; iTunes is not a control ) you customized?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
If so,=20
you can handle the window's WM_NCHITTEST message as follows:<BR>&gt; =
UINT=20
CAppWindow : : OnNcHitTest (Cpoint point )<BR>&gt; {<BR>&gt; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
UINT nHitTest =3DCDialog: : OnNcHitTest (point );// or CView : : =
<BR>&gt;=20
OnNcHitTest (point );<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; //Do some test =
to=20
check if the mouse points on the caption bar liked <BR>&gt; =
area,<BR>&gt;=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; // if it does, use the following code or directlly =
move the=20
window via <BR>&gt; SetWindowPos with SWP_NOSIZE<BR>&gt; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
//else return nHitTest :<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; if("point =
on the=20
caption bar liked area")<BR>&gt; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
return HTCAPTION;<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; return nHitTest ; <BR>&gt;=20
}<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Best =
regards,<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; Gary Chang<BR>&gt; Microsoft Online Partner Support<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
Get Secure! - </FONT><A href=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/security"><FONT =

face=3DArial size=3D2>www.microsoft.com/security</FONT></A><BR><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&gt; This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and =
confers no=20
rights.<BR>&gt; --------------------<BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C41E09.07E05DA0--

0
rajas (56)
4/9/2004 3:02:40 PM
IUnknown,

I use this in my personal development project that I'm doing.   I have owner
drawn windows (including all controls, menus, etc).  Anyway, this little bit
of code on the LButtonDown handler allows me to move and resize my windows
with non-standard sizes.

Note:  I have used my own classes and am not using MFC at all but this
should still get you a good idea.  One thing to note is that my 'window' is
actually a graphic and transformed into window regions to allow 'odd
shapes'.  So when this handler gets called, I am truely in my window and not
somewhere else.

void Frame::OnLButtonDown(IN UINT nFlags, IN LPPOINT pPoint)
{
 if (pPoint->y < 18) // see if we are 18 pixels from the top of the image.
  ::SendMessage(m_hWnd, WM_SYSCOMMAND,SC_MOVE|0x0002);
 else if (pPoint->x > m_csDimension.cx - 16 && pPoint->y >
m_csDimension.cy - 16)
 {
  RECT rect;
  ::SendMessage(m_hWnd, WM_SYSCOMMAND,SC_SIZE|0x0008);
  ::GetClientRect(m_hWnd, &rect);
  ::PostMessage(m_hWnd, WM_SIZE, WPARAM(SIZE_RESTORED),
MAKELPARAM(rect.right, rect.bottom));
 }

 Wnd::OnLButtonDown(nFlags, pPoint);  // let base class handle this message
}

Perry

"IUnknown" <swradio@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The educational software that I am developing requires a non-standard
> appearance.  I do need a caption bar for the application, but it must
> appear much different than a normal Windows caption bar (think ITunes or
> Winamp).  The problem I have is, how can I implement the "move window"
> functionality in this caption bar control I am creating?  What is the best
> way to do that?

0
relvinian (12)
4/9/2004 6:42:18 PM
Hi,

FYI, another appoach if the MyFrame window has the original CAption bar:
void CMyFrame:: OnLButtonDown (UINT nFlags , Cpoint point )
{
    CFrameWnd::OnLButtonDow (nFlags , pont );

    //Fool frame window into thinking somene clicked on its caption bar .
    PostMessage (WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN , HTCAPTION , MAKELPARAM (point .x ,
point .y) );
}

Thanks!

Best regards,

Gary Chang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------

0
v-garych (605)
4/13/2004 1:50:56 AM
"rajas" <rajas@cox.net> wrote in news:mWydc.3259$HN3.1639@fed1read07:

> Here is how I do it.  I have a FrameWindow without the standard system

Thanks for all the replies.  Every suggested method moved the window.
There is some weirdness with my non-rectangular window corners now, but
that's another thread.

Thanks again.
0
swradio (4)

Missing Tools Bar OE
My Tools Bar is missing all of its info. New Mail, Send/Receive etc. I do have it checked. I have the tool bar for Newsgroups. It has come and gone a couple of times, I think it came back after a reboot, but it's gone again. Any Help? Mike Toolbars disappear from Message Composition windows or the main OE window: http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#notoolbars -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "amdx" <amdx@knology.net> wrote in message news:73b5f$4b9ceb34$18ec6dd7$5051@...

Change Gradient Fill Colors of Bar Chart data points
I’m trying to modify the gradient fill colors of single data points on a bar charts (in Excel 2007). The bar chart already has gradient fills defined manually. I think I need to alter different child properties of .Interior, not the ..ColorIndex property that would apply to non-gradient fills. I’ve waded through the object model and help file and tried all kind of syntaxes, but can’t get at the gradient without raising an error such as “Run-time error ‘1004′: Application-defined or Object-defined error” or “Run-time error ‘438′: Object doesn’t support this property or method”. ...

Black Menu and Favorites bar in IE8
Hi, I have just updated my XP netbook to IE8 and discovered that the Menu and Favorites bar are black - the drop down menus are there but black on black. After a bit of investigation I discovered that my display theme had changed from Windows Classic to Windows Classic (modified). If I then change it back to XP Classic I can see the Menu and Favorites bars again for a few restarts the the black bars recurred. I then tried using the Windows XP theme and that worked once but the black menu and favorites bar appeared back again - when I checked my display theme it was Window XP ( modif...

"find" is permenantly highlighted in the standard bar
When I open Outlook the "find" is orange and I can't reply to email and if I do click on "reply" then Outlook hangs. I can do pretty much anything else. I don't know what else to try. I have scanned for viruses. I have used the restore point back to when I did not have this problem. I have used my office 2003 disk to repair. (I am a bit wary about a complete new install because I don't want to loose folders and previous email.) PS why did my earlier post get removed. I know I saw it. But when I returned I can't seem to find it. Even when I used...

Outlook 07 task and todo bar both have Operation failed
The task and todo bar both have the error message Operation failed. An object could not be found. My task list is accurate however the todo bar not show the "Add new todo...etc line at the top. I have followed the instructions at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102354921033.aspx to try to get the bar to appear with no luck. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. "3rd Gen" <3rdGen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:667E40F9-E811-4F8B-BD51-7B9C9BD39FA2@microsoft.com... > The task and todo bar both have the error message...

hide toolbars, menu bar, etc
I have a macro which will hide the standard and formatting toolbars but doesn't hide any other toolbars which might happen to be open when the macro is run. Does anyone have code which will hide all toolbars, row and column headings, gridlines, formula bar and status bar, and also the menu bar. Ideally, I'd like to do all that with the press of a keyboard shortcut and at the same time show a toolbar called 'Beacon Toolbar' - is that do-able? And can it all be 'reversed' with another macro? ...

Long delay on boot between POST and XP Progress Bar
I changed out my Mobo for an exact duplicate make and model (Intel D875PBZ), with duplicate BIOS, etc. Ever since doing that, there's a roughly 160 second delay from the time I hear BIOS confirm POST with a single BEEP and the time I see the low-res progress meter sweep across the screen as XP begins to boot. I'm running XP Pro and booting from the C:\ drive (Primary Master IDE). I've tried messing around with all of the settings in BIOS I could think of. E.g., I've set it up so that the C:\ drive was the only POSSIBLE boot device (removing floppy's, opt...

Implement Greylisting on Exchange 2003
Hi All, Is it possible to implement greylisting on Exchange 2003? Thanks, -- Alan. The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone else associated with me. My current valid email address is: 1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all. It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post. If you are trying to contact me after that time, it MAY still be valid, but may also have been deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want to contact me by email, try searching for a more recent post by me to find my curre...

Creating Staggered Bar Charts
Does anyone know how to create a staggered bar chart in excel that has multiple bars for the same Y value across the day? e.g. Car 1 XXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXX Car 2 XXXX XXXXXX Neil - You need to make a stacked bar chart, with one series for each bar and each gap that exist in the stack. Your little sketch below would require five gaps and five bars, or ten series (assuming the XXX for Car 1 is offset from the axis). Each data value states the size of the individual gap or bar. So the data would look like this: Gap Bar Gap Bar Gap Bar Gap...

Why did the scroll bar vanish?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC The scroll bars suddenly vanished from all my Word documents yesterday and I wasted an hour or so looking for how to restore them before finding the answer in these forums (Word preferences, view, click on appropriate button). I notice that the number of views that the topic (Toni Drew, Dec 1, 2008 7:39pm) has gotten is well over 1000, so the problem appears to be a common one (the other topics seem to get only 20-30 views). Can anyone explain why this occurs and how one can avoid it (and similar problems) in the fu...

stacked bar charts #4
Hi I'm in Excel 2003 professional- what I'm trying to do is chart three series in a bar chart.Problem is I want the first two to be stacked and the third as a an adjacent column. Have tried everything! If anyone can help I'd be very grateful. In article <9E73C89B-6F8D-4DF8-9D1E-C5345E0B59F5@microsoft.com>, "=? Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBCdXJ0b24=?=" <Alan Burton@discussions.microsoft.com> says... > Hi I'm in Excel 2003 professional- what I'm trying to do is chart three > series in a bar chart.Problem is I want the first two to be stacked and the > ...

How can I display negative numbers in a floating bar graph?
I have two categories where the minimum value is a negative number. When Excel graphs these two categories, it starts at zero, rather than the negative number. I can't figure out how to get Excel to display the numbers accurately. Keeping in mind that a floating chart is a stacked chart, follow the procedures on this page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StackedColumnsAboveAndBelow.html In short, the bars cannot cross the axis, so you need two series, one for the positive part of a bar, and another for the negative part. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Pelti...

Bar Graph for time in H:mm format
:confused: Hi there! I have a problem charting some data.... Column A: I have values of 1 through 23 (these are cycles in m business) Column B: I have a different time value associated with coresspondin cycle in format H:mm Example: cycle 1 took 29:55 (29hours and 55minutes) I need to display as a graph/chart for tomorrow am! Y axis are my cycles X axis should be intervals of time in increments of 5 hours Is it not charting properly because time is displayed H:mm- does i need to be decimal format? Also, the data i am grabbing is from cell that have formulas attached, so does that cause a ...

bar charts
I just upgraded after many years from Money 2001 Deluxe to Money 2007 Deluxe. After solving the infamous problem where the reports won't load and just display "Loading" (by going to Cash Flow and adding an item?!?), I noticed that there is no option to display a chart as a bar graph. This was one of the nicest features of Money 2001 and I had several custom reports that let me look at Account balance and investment changes over time in an easy to use bar graph. Where did this feature go? ...

How to record macro clicks to ribbon bar?
I'm trying to record a macro to prototype something. The recorded macro ends up being useless because clicks on the ribbon bar are not recorded. How do you make a macro record clicks on the ribbon bar? Office 2007 Short answer: you can't. The macro recorder doesn't work this way unfortunately. You could try using the keyboard alternatives, but they probably won't be much use either as all the recorder will show is the keystrokes. But then that's the whole idea behind a macro: to save you from having to do things like click on the ribbon, open dialog boxes, ...

Property Page Captions
I am adding a single property page class to a property sheet a variable number of times in a modal dialog. Ideally I would like to adjust the tab caption from within the property page in response to a user adjustment to a caption edit field. Barring that, I would at least like to uniquely set the caption for each tab in OnInitDialog() or OnShowWindow() or from the property sheet on dialog startup. Calls to SetWindowText() seem to be happily ignored by the property page in those locations. Anybody have any experience/luck with this sort of thing? Thanks in advance, Scott This link mi...

captions / linked text boxes / call-outs. None of these do the jo
Hi I want to link a piece of text to a textbox which I can then move around the screen with an arrow attached between the text and the textbox. Scenario I have some text, I draw a textbox and arrow between the two. I go further up in the document type some text and the textbox, arrow and text all become disconnected and I have to mess about for ages reconnecting them. If you can recommend an add-in for this if the functionality is not within Word itself. Something similar to Visio (not a viso embedded doc as none of the formatting is kept). thanks I also want the exa...

Bar Widths
I've created a stacked column chart but the columns are very thin - the chart looks like a bunch of thin lines. Is there a way to widen the columns? Paul Peterson Hi, Double-click the series (Excel 2003 or earlier) and choose the Options tab, then reduce the Gap Width. If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Paul Peterson - Velox Consulting, LLC" wrote: > I've created a stacked column chart but the columns are very thin - the chart > looks like a bunch of thin lines. Is there a way to widen the columns? > > Paul Peterson ...

How to see in "To do Bar" the flagged archived emails ?
How to see in "To do Bar" the flagged archived emails ? I currently only see the ones still in Inbox. Are the Archived ones shown in the To-do folder in the task module? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Outlook do you use? http://forums.s...

Assigning a macro to a Menu Bar option
I have a workbook which starts by adding to new items to the standard menu bar List and Transactions. (I realise List is perhaps not a good name since it is used by Excel but it hasn't caused any trouble and I can change it if it does). The MakeSubMenus is as follows Sub MakeSubMenus() Dim Bar As Object Set Bar = MenuBars(xlWorksheet) Bar.Reset 'Create new Menus Bar.Menus.Add Caption:="&List" Bar.Menus.Add Caption:="&Transactions" Set ListMenu = Bar.Menus("&List") Set TransactionsMenu = Bar.Menus("&am...

Staffing bar chart for restaurant staffing
My data set looks like: Position Start Time Duration Start Time Duration Cook 7 17 Server 11 3 5 5 I want a chart that looks like: Cook ************************************* Server ******* ************ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 I seem to be able to only get one series to show (the cook, not the server) - and I'm not sure how I will be able to create the "broken" bar for the two separate serv...

Bar Graphs, Semi-Log Graphs
Dear Friends, I have the Millennium 2000 edition of Excel and I can't figure out how to make a) bar graphs of one variable vs. time. (all the options seem to be for two variables.) b) semi-logarithmic graphs. With my previous computer I had the Excel that went with Windows 95, and the Chart Wizard had options you could check for either one variable bar graphs or for semi-log graphs. In the Millennium 2000 I don't find either of these options with the Chart Wizard. Question No. 1: At the bookstore I see an expensive upgrade I can purchase to upgrade Millennium to Windows XP...

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Implementation For Large Corporation (August 2006) #5
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Implementation For Large Corporation (August 2006) (Sales Module,MS CRM Security,Integration with Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0/Microsoft Great Plains,with IBM Lotus Notes Domino,International Considerations,Competition) http://microsoft-crm-3.blogspot.com/2006/08/microsoft-dynamics-crm-30.html ...

How do I add a vertical line to a horizontal bar chart?
How do I add a vertical date line to a horizontal bar chart? -- DMM http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E401802D-8A46-4E24-87E4-D048408DED43@microsoft.com... > How do I add a vertical date line to a horizontal bar chart? > -- > DMM Sorry if I'm missing something, but I believe the link below relates to column or line charts on...