Can OnPrint output be saved to a file?

Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved to a
file?
I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose and it is
more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.

Thanks.


0
binstar (33)
4/6/2004 1:23:20 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

14 Replies
954 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 34

How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to file option
in the Print dialog box?

-- 
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits
http://www.softcircuits.com
Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

"Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved to a
> file?
> I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose and it
is
> more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
>
> Thanks.
>
>


0
jwood (1292)
4/6/2004 12:57:50 AM
Print to file outputs to a .prn type text file and so I just get alot of
junk.  I would need to preserve the fonts, rectangles and brushes and be
able to view the file also.  If there is a way to do this with Print to file
please let me know.

Thanks.

"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
news:Op3W7H3GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to file
option
> in the Print dialog box?
>
> -- 
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
>
> "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved to a
> > file?
> > I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose and it
> is
> > more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >
>
>


0
binstar (33)
4/6/2004 12:45:44 PM
This is not correct. Did you try it? A prn file contains all the formatting
and other information that would otherwise be sent to the printer. It should
do everything that you are asking for.

-- 
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits
http://www.softcircuits.com
Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

"Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
news:u1C3Q$8GEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Print to file outputs to a .prn type text file and so I just get alot of
> junk.  I would need to preserve the fonts, rectangles and brushes and be
> able to view the file also.  If there is a way to do this with Print to
file
> please let me know.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> news:Op3W7H3GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to file
> option
> > in the Print dialog box?
> >
> > -- 
> > Jonathan Wood
> > SoftCircuits
> > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> >
> > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved to
a
> > > file?
> > > I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose and
it
> > is
> > > more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
jwood (1292)
4/6/2004 4:40:05 PM
Yes I have tried it several times.  I select the Print to file option in the
print dialog and print. When printing to the printer there are no problems
but printing to file gives me garbage.

Thanks.

"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
news:uTO4gW$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> This is not correct. Did you try it? A prn file contains all the
formatting
> and other information that would otherwise be sent to the printer. It
should
> do everything that you are asking for.
>
> -- 
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
>
> "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> news:u1C3Q$8GEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Print to file outputs to a .prn type text file and so I just get alot of
> > junk.  I would need to preserve the fonts, rectangles and brushes and be
> > able to view the file also.  If there is a way to do this with Print to
> file
> > please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > news:Op3W7H3GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to file
> > option
> > > in the Print dialog box?
> > >
> > > -- 
> > > Jonathan Wood
> > > SoftCircuits
> > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > >
> > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved
to
> a
> > > > file?
> > > > I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose
and
> it
> > > is
> > > > more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
binstar (33)
4/6/2004 5:37:28 PM
Are you using the same printer for both tests?

-- 
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits
http://www.softcircuits.com
Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

"Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
news:u145Ri$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Yes I have tried it several times.  I select the Print to file option in
the
> print dialog and print. When printing to the printer there are no problems
> but printing to file gives me garbage.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> news:uTO4gW$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > This is not correct. Did you try it? A prn file contains all the
> formatting
> > and other information that would otherwise be sent to the printer. It
> should
> > do everything that you are asking for.
> >
> > -- 
> > Jonathan Wood
> > SoftCircuits
> > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> >
> > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > news:u1C3Q$8GEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > Print to file outputs to a .prn type text file and so I just get alot
of
> > > junk.  I would need to preserve the fonts, rectangles and brushes and
be
> > > able to view the file also.  If there is a way to do this with Print
to
> > file
> > > please let me know.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > > news:Op3W7H3GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to
file
> > > option
> > > > in the Print dialog box?
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > > Jonathan Wood
> > > > SoftCircuits
> > > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > > Available for consulting:
http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > > >
> > > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > > news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved
> to
> > a
> > > > > file?
> > > > > I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose
> and
> > it
> > > > is
> > > > > more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
jwood (1292)
4/6/2004 7:07:37 PM
I have tried with HP LaserJet Series II and with Lexmark Z52 as printers.
Both produce garbage.

Thanks.



"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
news:%23awC%23oAHEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Are you using the same printer for both tests?
>
> -- 
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
>
> "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> news:u145Ri$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Yes I have tried it several times.  I select the Print to file option in
> the
> > print dialog and print. When printing to the printer there are no
problems
> > but printing to file gives me garbage.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > news:uTO4gW$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > This is not correct. Did you try it? A prn file contains all the
> > formatting
> > > and other information that would otherwise be sent to the printer. It
> > should
> > > do everything that you are asking for.
> > >
> > > -- 
> > > Jonathan Wood
> > > SoftCircuits
> > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > >
> > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:u1C3Q$8GEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > > Print to file outputs to a .prn type text file and so I just get
alot
> of
> > > > junk.  I would need to preserve the fonts, rectangles and brushes
and
> be
> > > > able to view the file also.  If there is a way to do this with Print
> to
> > > file
> > > > please let me know.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks.
> > > >
> > > > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:Op3W7H3GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to
> file
> > > > option
> > > > > in the Print dialog box?
> > > > >
> > > > > -- 
> > > > > Jonathan Wood
> > > > > SoftCircuits
> > > > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > > > Available for consulting:
> http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > > > >
> > > > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > > > news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be
saved
> > to
> > > a
> > > > > > file?
> > > > > > I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this
purpose
> > and
> > > it
> > > > > is
> > > > > > more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thanks.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
binstar (33)
4/6/2004 8:19:29 PM
That "garbage" is probably the print commands.  It may be in PostScript
format.  Have you tried spooling the .prn file to lpt1?
From DOS window type:
    type file.prn >lpt1

--
Frank


"Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
news:u145Ri$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Yes I have tried it several times.  I select the Print to file option in
the
> print dialog and print. When printing to the printer there are no problems
> but printing to file gives me garbage.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> news:uTO4gW$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > This is not correct. Did you try it? A prn file contains all the
> formatting
> > and other information that would otherwise be sent to the printer. It
> should
> > do everything that you are asking for.
> >
> > -- 
> > Jonathan Wood
> > SoftCircuits
> > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> >
> > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > news:u1C3Q$8GEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > Print to file outputs to a .prn type text file and so I just get alot
of
> > > junk.  I would need to preserve the fonts, rectangles and brushes and
be
> > > able to view the file also.  If there is a way to do this with Print
to
> > file
> > > please let me know.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > > news:Op3W7H3GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to
file
> > > option
> > > > in the Print dialog box?
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > > Jonathan Wood
> > > > SoftCircuits
> > > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > > Available for consulting:
http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > > >
> > > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > > news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved
> to
> > a
> > > > > file?
> > > > > I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose
> and
> > it
> > > > is
> > > > > more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
4/6/2004 8:22:45 PM
That does print out, but can it be saved to a viewable file?
This is why I am currently writing to rtf files so I can view,save,and
print.
I apologize to Jonathan for not being specific enough.

Thanks.


"Frank Hickman" <fhickman_nosp@m_noblesoft.com> wrote in message
news:TdGdnfLvJKuGjO7dRVn-vg@comcast.com...
> That "garbage" is probably the print commands.  It may be in PostScript
> format.  Have you tried spooling the .prn file to lpt1?
> From DOS window type:
>     type file.prn >lpt1
>
> --
> Frank
>
>
> "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> news:u145Ri$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Yes I have tried it several times.  I select the Print to file option in
> the
> > print dialog and print. When printing to the printer there are no
problems
> > but printing to file gives me garbage.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > news:uTO4gW$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > This is not correct. Did you try it? A prn file contains all the
> > formatting
> > > and other information that would otherwise be sent to the printer. It
> > should
> > > do everything that you are asking for.
> > >
> > > -- 
> > > Jonathan Wood
> > > SoftCircuits
> > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > >
> > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:u1C3Q$8GEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > > Print to file outputs to a .prn type text file and so I just get
alot
> of
> > > > junk.  I would need to preserve the fonts, rectangles and brushes
and
> be
> > > > able to view the file also.  If there is a way to do this with Print
> to
> > > file
> > > > please let me know.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks.
> > > >
> > > > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:Op3W7H3GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to
> file
> > > > option
> > > > > in the Print dialog box?
> > > > >
> > > > > -- 
> > > > > Jonathan Wood
> > > > > SoftCircuits
> > > > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > > > Available for consulting:
> http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > > > >
> > > > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > > > news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be
saved
> > to
> > > a
> > > > > > file?
> > > > > > I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this
purpose
> > and
> > > it
> > > > > is
> > > > > > more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thanks.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
binstar (33)
4/6/2004 10:09:48 PM
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:09:48 -0400, "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca>
wrote:

>That does print out, but can it be saved to a viewable file?
>This is why I am currently writing to rtf files so I can view,save,and
>print.
>I apologize to Jonathan for not being specific enough.
>

Each model and brand of printer uses its own special printing codes to
control how it prints. Often what is sent to the printer is actually
graphics, an image of how the text should look, not the characters,
themselves.

If you want a file written as ASCII characters, viewable with a simple
text editor like Notebook, then create a special printer call
"Generic/Text Only" from the Add Printer Wizard.  For printer port,
select FILE: (print to a file).  For Printer, select "Generic" as
Manufacturer and then "Generic / Text Only" for printer type.

That should do it!

You will get straight text and lose all formatting and fonts and
special stuff in your document.



0
r
4/6/2004 10:18:05 PM
Another option, for viewing, would be to use a PostScript viewer, I believe
ghostscript (try google search) is still free.  Assuming of course that it
is in fact PostScript.

--
Frank


"Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
news:uZlve6BHEHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> That does print out, but can it be saved to a viewable file?
> This is why I am currently writing to rtf files so I can view,save,and
> print.
> I apologize to Jonathan for not being specific enough.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> "Frank Hickman" <fhickman_nosp@m_noblesoft.com> wrote in message
> news:TdGdnfLvJKuGjO7dRVn-vg@comcast.com...
> > That "garbage" is probably the print commands.  It may be in PostScript
> > format.  Have you tried spooling the .prn file to lpt1?
> > From DOS window type:
> >     type file.prn >lpt1
> >
> > --
> > Frank
> >
> >
> > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > news:u145Ri$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Yes I have tried it several times.  I select the Print to file option
in
> > the
> > > print dialog and print. When printing to the printer there are no
> problems
> > > but printing to file gives me garbage.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > > news:uTO4gW$GEHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > > This is not correct. Did you try it? A prn file contains all the
> > > formatting
> > > > and other information that would otherwise be sent to the printer.
It
> > > should
> > > > do everything that you are asking for.
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > > Jonathan Wood
> > > > SoftCircuits
> > > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > > Available for consulting:
http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > > >
> > > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > > news:u1C3Q$8GEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > > > Print to file outputs to a .prn type text file and so I just get
> alot
> > of
> > > > > junk.  I would need to preserve the fonts, rectangles and brushes
> and
> > be
> > > > > able to view the file also.  If there is a way to do this with
Print
> > to
> > > > file
> > > > > please let me know.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks.
> > > > >
> > > > > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > > > > news:Op3W7H3GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to
> > file
> > > > > option
> > > > > > in the Print dialog box?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > -- 
> > > > > > Jonathan Wood
> > > > > > SoftCircuits
> > > > > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > > > > Available for consulting:
> > http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
> > > > > > news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > > Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be
> saved
> > > to
> > > > a
> > > > > > > file?
> > > > > > > I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this
> purpose
> > > and
> > > > it
> > > > > > is
> > > > > > > more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Thanks.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
4/7/2004 12:17:49 AM
Yet another option would be to print to a file for a PostScript printer and convert to .PDF.

I usually use GhostScript/View to do this (manually, not programatically though).

Ruben


On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:17:49 -0400, "Frank Hickman" <fhickman_nosp@m_noblesoft.com> wrote:

>Another option, for viewing, would be to use a PostScript viewer, I believe
>ghostscript (try google search) is still free.  Assuming of course that it
>is in fact PostScript.

0
ruben1 (50)
4/7/2004 6:28:04 AM
Using Ghostscript is not really a solution for an end user. I am looking for
an alternative that is less time consuming than writing to an rtf file
(which is viewable).
Can OnPrint output be saved to a viewable file?
Maybe the question should be something like: Can PrintPreview be saved?

Thanks.

"Ruben J�nsson" <ruben@pp.sbbs.se> wrote in message
news:mn67705hgrbb0mm8j2mjiaq0co58sa99uu@4ax.com...
> Yet another option would be to print to a file for a PostScript printer
and convert to .PDF.
>
> I usually use GhostScript/View to do this (manually, not programatically
though).
>
> Ruben
>
>
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:17:49 -0400, "Frank Hickman"
<fhickman_nosp@m_noblesoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Another option, for viewing, would be to use a PostScript viewer, I
believe
> >ghostscript (try google search) is still free.  Assuming of course that
it
> >is in fact PostScript.
>


0
binstar (33)
4/7/2004 12:53:45 PM
I meant that your program should do what Gostscript does. Then you could produce a .PDF file from your printout to file.



Ruben

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:53:45 -0400, "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote:

>Using Ghostscript is not really a solution for an end user. I am looking for
>an alternative that is less time consuming than writing to an rtf file
>(which is viewable).
>Can OnPrint output be saved to a viewable file?
>Maybe the question should be something like: Can PrintPreview be saved?
>
>Thanks.
>
>"Ruben J�nsson" <ruben@pp.sbbs.se> wrote in message
>news:mn67705hgrbb0mm8j2mjiaq0co58sa99uu@4ax.com...
>> Yet another option would be to print to a file for a PostScript printer
>and convert to .PDF.
>>
>> I usually use GhostScript/View to do this (manually, not programatically
>though).
>>
>> Ruben
>>
>>
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:17:49 -0400, "Frank Hickman"
><fhickman_nosp@m_noblesoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Another option, for viewing, would be to use a PostScript viewer, I
>believe
>> >ghostscript (try google search) is still free.  Assuming of course that
>it
>> >is in fact PostScript.
>>
>

0
ruben1 (50)
4/7/2004 2:01:02 PM
..rtf files are only "viewable" because there is at least one program
registered on the computer capable of reading the .rtf format such as Word
or Wordpad.  Ghostscript can do the same with PostScript files.  But if you
trap the "Print to File" option then you can also handle the printing to
file within the application and produce whatever type file you want such as
..rtf, .ps, .pdf, etc...  I like the idea of producing a .pdf because like
..rtf, you won't loose your formatting.

--
Frank


"Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message
news:eG8cYoJHEHA.256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Using Ghostscript is not really a solution for an end user. I am looking
for
> an alternative that is less time consuming than writing to an rtf file
> (which is viewable).
> Can OnPrint output be saved to a viewable file?
> Maybe the question should be something like: Can PrintPreview be saved?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Ruben J�nsson" <ruben@pp.sbbs.se> wrote in message
> news:mn67705hgrbb0mm8j2mjiaq0co58sa99uu@4ax.com...
> > Yet another option would be to print to a file for a PostScript printer
> and convert to .PDF.
> >
> > I usually use GhostScript/View to do this (manually, not programatically
> though).
> >
> > Ruben
> >
> >
> > On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:17:49 -0400, "Frank Hickman"
> <fhickman_nosp@m_noblesoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Another option, for viewing, would be to use a PostScript viewer, I
> believe
> > >ghostscript (try google search) is still free.  Assuming of course that
> it
> > >is in fact PostScript.
> >
>
>


0
4/7/2004 7:31:28 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Where else can a programmer look for answers.
Last Friday I asked a question on this board and I have not received a full answer. My program is dead-in-the-water without a solution. Where else can I post an inquiry or how else can I go about getting suggestions to solve my problem? The previous post is entitled: My program is not visible using Remote Desktop. TonyG wrote: > Last Friday I asked a question on this board and I have not received a > full answer. My program is dead-in-the-water without a solution. Where > else can I post an inquiry or how else can I go about getting > suggestions to solve my problem? > ...

New HDD old files?
I have just installed a new hard drive. I reinstalled Office 2003 on the new drive and configured my e-mail. Now I have put the old drive in as a "slave" to my new hard drive. I am trying to get my e-mail and contacts from my old installation on the old drive. I have had no luck so far. I was not able to create backups before I put the new drive. Computer power supply crash issue. So how can I access the old files on the old hard drive? Thanks for any and all help Keith in Las Vegas You will probably have to 'take ownership' see win help. then simply open your old...

type of file to automatically open security feature
OL 2002 SP3 Win XP HE Hi, I seem to have accidentally clicked on "Open Automatically" for Word (.doc) files sent as attachments. I'd like to set it back so that it always asks whether I really want to open it or not. How do I recover the feature for Word (.doc) files? Thanks. stef <stef.bm@hotmail.removethis.com> wrote: > OL 2002 SP3 > Win XP HE > > Hi, > I seem to have accidentally clicked on "Open Automatically" for Word > (.doc) files sent as attachments. > > I'd like to set it back so that it always asks whether I really wan...

Ability to create an item type that can be purchased but not sold
Need the ability to catagorize an item so that it can not be sold. For instance, a base part is purchased and then modified into the final product. Only the final product should be sold, but I still need to purchase the base item. Currently I do not see a fool-proof way of limiting an item from being sold. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in ...

Excel file association
Hi, I am still unable to open the file from explorer/shortcut after trying these (by the way - thanks) ================================================== Mj wrote: > > unable to open xls file from shortcut or explorer > > will only open from withing excel > > I have changed the options / general / ignore other apps > > still the same issue > > thanks in advance ========================================================== Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Butt...

Rename files to match date stamp
Can someone tell if its possible to replace the basename of a number of .jpg files in specified folder to match their date stamp? file.DateCreated can see that date, but how can I actually rename the files? Thanks! "Oleg" <Oleg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7853854-F72F-4EB3-8899-E6D670BE6545@microsoft.com... > Can someone tell if its possible to replace the basename of a number of > .jpg > files in specified folder to match their date stamp? file.DateCreated can > see > that date, but how can I actually rename the files? ...

Can the Date Format be Changed
Is there a way to change the date format in MS Money 2004? Regards, Kevin Quite easily, just change the date format in Control Panel and Money should use it/. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@microsoft.com especially if it's a UK specific wish. I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money "Kevin" <Lundquisk001@hawaii.rr.com> wrot...

Can't Trigger Manual Sales Processes
I have created rule that triggers one of several manual sales processes when an Opportunity is created. It checks several conditions and then calls one of a few manual sales processes based upon the condition. With my security role, the workflow runs as intended, however, at the level of the intended user, the trigger rule runs fine and the Workflow Monitor says it is completed but the manual sales process never runs; it doesn't show up on workflow monitor. I suspect a permissions issue but I cannot figure it out. Is there a specific security role setting that has to be availab...

attaching files in Outloook
I have used Outlook for ages. For some reason it has become a hit or a miss whether files that I attach are sent or not. If they don't go - and I don't know until the recipient says "nothing there". They sometimes go on the first re-send, sometimes not! Forwarding teh original mail does not work - it needs to be a new task. Any suggestions about what I could do to cure the problem? Erica ...

can I have variable widths in the same column
I would like to place two tables on the same worksheet one above the other. But they have different heading widths. Is it possible to have multiple widths in the same column and independently change them? No. The entire column of cells can only have one width. You can cheat a little and use the Merge Cells feature. But that could lead to other issues. Another option is to insert two empty columns between each column of data in your table and allow the headings to expand into those areas. "underw47" <underw47@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:608A94E...

Question on saving a file.
Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier revisions? Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data. Help! Not that I am aware of. If you want to keep earlier ...

TMP FILE TYPE!!!!!! MS SUX
When I run reports and then EXPORT and use the EMAIL option the file is placed in outlook express as a TMP file type instead of HTML, CSV or TXT. When I receive the email Outlook says that "Outlook blocked access...." Upon further research TMP is a permanently blocked file type and cannot be changed! Nice collaboration effort Micro$oft! Is there a way to change the export file type extenstion to the CORRECT extension(s). You'd assume if you want to send a CSV file that RMS would create a filename.csv but instead you get a Q??##.TMP. Anyone? Any help? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARR...

How I can find who has NOT sent me mail?
This may seem a bit of a stupid thing to want to do but.... I have a list of people that I must get an email response from each day and I am looking for a simple way of finding who on the list has NOT sent me an email today so that I can chase them up. I have played with search folders and advanced search, and it is easy to create a list of email addresses and have then appear in the search folder if they HAVE sent me an email, but I have to then check through this list (are there over a hundred) to see who hasn't sent me a mail. Tedious and error prone. So can you help me find t...

Demo Money file?
Does anyone have a demo money file I can use to show my friend how account balance sheets and stuff look, and what features are in it, without having to show my fanancia information and stuff? In microsoft.public.money, mmm, Pie wrote: >Does anyone have a demo money file I can use to show my friend how account >balance sheets and stuff look, and what features are in it, without having >to show my fanancia information and stuff? > Find sample.mny on your system. It would be in the Program Files. You can use Start->Find to find it. Double-click after the find, and that should...

Opening old files
I am unable to open some old excel spreadsheets. They are now show a a QPW file type. What is this and what can I do about it. Thanks You can't convert them unless there is a conversion program around (commercial probably, the only other way I can think of would be to use Quattro Pro to open them (that's where they came from) and then save in a format that Excel can open (xls maybe) -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "roger@biorecycle.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:118...

address data base in which I can choose which to use for mailing
I want to set up an address data base in Excel. They would be a combination of personal and business addresses. I want to be able to separate them for the purpose of printing mailing labels. I am new to Office, could someone suggest a template or solution ? Thank you. Open a new workbook. In Sheet1 you will enter your titles across the row in individual cells. LastName FirstName Address City State Zip (and whatever else you wish) Last column title it Type Now assuming John Doe has two addresses...one personal and one business. Row 2 enter Doe John 123 main st. Albany NY ...

Can I get Mny Ess or Deluxe to download pending transactions?
Or, do I need to manually enter them in Money? And, when I have done that, what do I need to do when the real transaction finally shows up in my online banking and downloads to Money? Dick, you asked what I want to do with Money. I want to re-establish control over my bank account and capture transactions as close to the time each occurs. BofA online banking shows authorizations (initial swipe) by merchant but not the amout with tip until it settles. Also, if merchant is slow in submitting, then, transaction will fall off online's 'radar' and come back to bite me later if I...

Can't get MFC and HTTP_VERB_POST to work
Hi, I've searched high and low but just can't get HTTP_VERB_POST to work in my application. I've included my HTML form below (the password is visible text), together with the MFC snippet. The VC6 code returns 405 (HTTP_STATUS_BAD_METHOD) so I suspect that something is not right with the sUrl definition. auth.php does a mysql validation of username and password (test / test in the example). Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you. Peter // HTML Form at www.myweb.com/test/login.htm (myweb is obviously fake) <html> <head> <title>Login Page</title> <...

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

open word file
Hi i would like to open word file using getopenfilename by using excel macro and copy the data to excel file. Sub test() Dim appWD As Word.Application Dim appWDS As Word.Document Set appWD = CreateObject("Word.Application.8") appWD.Visible = True filetoopen = Word.Application.GetOpenFilename("All Files (*.*),*.*") Workbooks.Open filetoopen end sub Here you go. This works. It's not exactly like your code, but you get the idea. The "text to be pasted" should be replaced with text from your Excel file. Let me know if you need help getting...

Corruption of Access File
Hi I think that since my client and myself don't have the same version of Access the file gets corrupted when I get the latest version from my client (they have Access 2000 and I have Access 2003) What can be done? Thank you, Samuel Perform this sequence when you get the updated file: Compact | Decompile | Compact | Compact | Compile To compact: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair To decompile, enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\offic...

Open File IF Not Opened
Goodmorning! I was looking for someone who could tell me how I could make a Macro Appliction open files only when there not opened. When a file is allready opened it should be left at alone. When a file is being opened, this file should be granted the opportunity to update it's pivot tables and carry out any external links. I hope someone has the answer! Thanks in advance! Here's some code that might help. It tests whether a file is open: if it is it activates it, otherwise it opens the file. If IsWindowOpen(lStr_FileName) Then Windows(lStr_FileName).Activate ...

Import Ascii file into Excel
Hi, I am having a problem importing an ASCII file into Excel. It will come in as text, but I need it to be in chart format. May actual go is for the data to be in a Word 2000 Mail Merge format. I know I have done this before, but I am having NO luck...and of course I need this for a 9:30 AM CT meeting! Thank you If your problem is not that your numeric data is importing as text and therefore plots as zero when you try to make a plot, then please be more specific. To convert text "numbers" to numeric, - format a blank cell as General - enter 1 in that cell - copy that cell ...

How do I import large data files?
When I try to import a data file with more rows than Excel, the text box says I can import the rest by re-importing the file and excluding the lines already imported. The Import Wizard doesn't seem to give me this option... suggestions? Hi Russell Maybe http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q120596 XL: Importing Text Files Larger Than ???? Rows -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Russell Seguin" <Russell Seguin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:184036AB-8922-4EAA-85B6-05FAB3E577F5@microsoft.com... > When I try to...

files don't open
I can't open any files in Office. I can't save them in save as. I have re-installed Office Professional 2003, still have this problem. Excel and word files can't save or open from file folder. EC There was a security update released this weekend with an issue with certain vendors software being registered with it. (The update was MS06-015) The detail of how to deal with it is here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "EC" <EC@discussion...