Best book for learning MFC/VC 7.1 for developing rich GUI apps ?

Hi,

I am a C/C++ developer of quite a few yesrs, although I am relatively
new to Windows (Unix background). I am about to begin work on a project
that would require me to develop several GUI rich frontend applications.

I would like to hear from developers ou there if there is a book they
would recommend, to help me hit the ground running - i.e. a book that is
NOT an introductory text on programming/C++ but rather one that dives
straight in and shows how to create front ends (possibly widgets etc) -
using the VC IDE, one that covers all I need to know about MFC to start
working on a real world application. A bit of a tall order. But your
recoomendations would be appreciated.

tx

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Using OLE DB in MFC Project
Hi, I have developed an MFC application. I now want to add database functionality to it. I have had a look at the various database technologies and have decided to try using direct OLE DB rather than ADO as it is faster. However I have noticed that in tutorials it is recommended to use the wizards in an ATL project. As i have said before my application has been written in MFC. I was wondering how easy it is to add direct OLE DB to my MFC application. I would appreciate suggesstions on how i can manage this, Thanks In Advance Macca ...

macro for comparing fields in two work books
Hello, I have two excel spread sheets (say A1 & A2). A1- is the master sprea sheet and A2 is smaller spread sheet with very few details. Suppose Column B in A2 has 100 partnumbers and Column C in A1 has th superset of partumbers (1000) and corresponding details for each par number, I need to: 1. Check if all the 100 part numbers in A2 has a corresponding match i A1 2. Extract the info for the matched partnumbers from A1 and list in seprate sheet. 3. Even if there in no match A1, let's say for 40 of them, it shoul still list those parts in the new sheet. Can anybody help me with t...

OWA returns HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
Outlook Web Access used to work fine, but now users are receiving the following message HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable Users can access the OWA page, but after typing in credentials and clicking "Log On" the above error is returned. If the incorrect credentials are entered the "You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access" message is received. This tells me I'm authenticating fine but whatever the next step is it is failing. There are no error messages in event viewer. Any recommendations of what to look at next? The OWA Exchange 2003 Server sits on a ...

CRM HTTP Error 401.1 IIS
Hei, I installed CRM on the Windows Server 2003 on three box for 100 users. All users registred in the CRM Server and working on the clients. A: 1 for Active Directory Domain controler (ADSRV) B: 1 for SQL 2000 + CRM Server ver 1.2 (CRMSRV) C: 1 for Exchange Server 2003 (EXSRV) i have one problem that when i type http://crmwebsite on the CRMSRV then i get "HTTP Error 401.1, Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials. Internet Information Services (IIS)". When i try it on the ADSRV then it works well. It is also working well on the client c...

How to display mfc control in new look style?
Hi, anybody knows how to show mfc controls like button or other controls in new look style? Please see below link to know about what i mean by new look style is. http://www.geocities.com/henky_arektc97/question/ I want to make my controls in dialog shown as Picture 2, not as Picture 1 (look at the button). Are there lack of some defines or codes or something else, because when I create new project again, the dialog will be displayed as I want in Picture 2. I use MFC 9 (vs2008). Thank you for any help! "Saitama" <Saitama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

JTreeTable for VC
Hi all, does anybody know something about a control like a JTreeTable in Java for Visual C++? Regards, Matthias There isn't anything built in like this, but here are some links to check out: http://www.codeproject.com/treectrl/newtreelistcode.asp http://www.hallogram.com/sfttree/ http://www.theultimatetoolbox.com/products/ultimatetoolbox/screenshots/ http://www.codejock.com/products/reportcontrol/ Tom "Matthias" <ichwarteaufmail@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:1129106066.038262.108840@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > does anybody know somethi...

CRM 1.2
I am going to move the CRM SQL databases to a new server. We will also be moving Great Plains off the CRM server and on to the new SQL server. We are bouncing around the idea of naming the new SQL server to the name that the current CRM server uses and renaming the current CRM server. The thinking here is that we won't have to touch the Great Plains clients. What kinds of issues can I expect in this scenario? I believe that CRM "might" make us of the SID in which case I would need to use SysPrep to create the new one? I wouldn't think that this is that unusal of a proje...

Windows 7 x64 msnmsgr.exe crash
When Windows Live Messenger starts up when I log in, I very often get an application crash. Details are: Source Windows Live Messenger Summary Stopped working Date ‎3/‎31/‎2010 19:53 Status Report sent Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: BEX Application Name: msnmsgr.exe Application Version: 14.0.8089.726 Application Timestamp: 4a6ce533 Fault Module Name: unknown Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Offset: 10100002 Exceptio...

backup exch from remote machine: which is best plan
I have a small domain with 2 servers: 1) PDC and file server with tape backup 2) Exchange server, no tape device Which is the best plan to ensure a safe backup of exchange? a) Install exchange admin tools on the PDC and include information store in the tape backup b) Get the exchange server to backup to a file, and then get the PDC to include that file when it does its tape backup. c) Some other plan I haven't thought of yet Regards roga On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:35:28 -0000, "roga" <{news2005}REMOVE_THIS_UPPERCASE_2_REPLY@roga.co.uk> wrote: >I...

MFC extension DLL not attached to chain
Hello, I have a big problem: a simple MFC application using MFC in a shared DLL + An extension DLL (wizard-made) with a bitmap inside: IDB_BMP. When I try to load the IDB_BMP bitmap I get error 1814: "The specified resource name cannot be found in the image file. " Here is the code from myapp.cpp: ........................................................... HMODULE hh; VERIFY(hh = AfxLoadLibrary("myextension.dll")); //AfxSetResourceHandle(hh); -> if I uncomment this line it works! CBitmap bmp; int n = bmp.LoadBitmap(IDB_BMP); // n == 0 DWORD dw = GetLastError(); // -...

Thai collation in SQL for MS CRM 1.2
A number of our Partners have been requesting for double-byte characters such as Chinese, Japanese and Thai languages to be recognized by MS CRM 1.2. Most of their clients have this included in their business requirement. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

2 different domains/1 exchange server
Hi. I'm currently running E2k03 SP1 as my mail server in our network. Recently another company move in our building (same owner) and both company are sharing network infrastructure. Each company has a different AD domains and this domains are not related in any ways (trust relationship). Is there any way that I can provide mail services to the new neighbors without trusting the domains or using pop3? -- Elvyn Gutierrez Pellerano & Herrera MIS/Lan Manager ...

Display Screen 1/2 Grid; 1/2 VBE (or at least Code Window)
Is there a way (button, command, etc) to be able to view (quickly, and side by side) a my worksheet (only 1 workbook is open say) and my code window? If you just want to look at macros do a cltr+' (key to left of 1). John North Yorkshire UK "Jim May" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message news:Fqb7d.10064$0j.2648@lakeread07... > Is there a way (button, command, etc) to be able to view (quickly, and > side > by side) > a my worksheet (only 1 workbook is open say) and my code window? > > Jim With Excel workbook open to the sheet of your choice and VBE o...

Error Message #7
I Get a Error message saying "Not enough system resources to display porperly" when i try to open my excel 2002 Program. What can i do to work in my excel??? But i can access to some level but this error message keeps on coming on the screen.. If you have other programs open at the same time, try starting Excel with them closed.........could be you need more RAM Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Naresh h" <Naresh h@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E0EC63C-8992-483C-9CAD-2DF264A394E1@microsoft.com... > I Get a Error message saying "Not enou...

Windows 7 slow LAN connectivity
It's really annoying that when you connect two computers to a WiFi AP and try to copy files between them it takes ages to copy anything and is slow beyond any reason. Even when I connected one of them via wire it's still terribly slow and even freezes from time to time. One of the PCs is XP the other runs 7 Ultimate. I already disabled that thing that checks for connection errors or something but still no joy. yaro yaro137 wrote: > It's really annoying that when you connect two computers to a WiFi > AP and try to copy files between them it takes ages to copy > a...

CRM 4 Advance Finds with Windows 7
I have for some time been using CRM4 with windows 7 (RC and RTM) and have found one problem. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and found a resolution yet. When in an advance find it will hang when selecting a pick list. For example. Open advanced find, Select Activities and use saved view [new] In the details select ActivityStatus as the Field, select equals and then click the three dots to chose the values. Select any values then click OK. At this point the page still says 'enter value' and alot of the page can not be clicked on. This will always happen on a new adv...

How do I create an A3 size document using Windows 7
A3 is not listed in the pre-set schedule of document sizes in Windows 7 (unlike previous versions of Windows). How do I create such a document using Windows 7? Does your printer support A3? Word/Windows will display the paper sizes supported by the default (or currently active) printer. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "A3 documents in Windows 7" <A3 documents in Windows 7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2647F06-5560-41A6-9C2F-462E6198C989@microsoft.com... > A3 is ...

What is the best way to Write this Formula
THank you to all that have helped and to who will help, i greatly appreciate it. Here is my question. I have four columns of data:b is OPEN, C is HIGH, D is LOW and D is CLOSE. I then wrote an =if(and)) statement with about six logical steps to come up with the words "BUY" and "SELL" in columns f and g respectfully. Then in column H I wrote a buy stop formula which is =if(f2="BUY",e2-6.00,""). Worked great got my new number now what I need to write is and this is the hard part IF at any time that the LOW(column d) from that period on until th...

Auto filter #7
Is it possiable to filter more than 1000 rows with autofilter? and if so, how? Select your range and apply the data|autofilter. I bet you're seeing a maximum of 1000 unique entries under that dropdown. The range is still filtered--excel just shows a max of 1000 entries. Debra Dalgleish has some tips you may like: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits (and you could always use a custom filter and type what you want (or contains what you want). Lisa Files wrote: > > Is it possiable to filter more than 1000 rows with autofilter? and if so, how? -- Dave Peters...

Pivot Table VBA Reference Book & Blank Cells
Hi Everyone, I have a Pivot Table in Access 2003 and need the blank/null cells on the data axis to display "0". This is easy to do in Excel but I have searched through all of the options in Access and cannot find it. What is the VBA code required to set this option? Can anyone suggest a good reference book or website for coding Pivot Tables with VBA? Many thanks, David ...

Porting MFC to Mac OS X and Linux
What would you folks suggest if I was asked to port an MFC program(+100K lines of MFC application code) to Linux and or the Mac? What migration tools could you recommend? The application uses extensively modified(owner draw) MFC controls. --Mike I have no idea about Mac. For Linux, you can take a look at http://www.mainsoft.com/products/mainwin.html and see it if it helps. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Mike Engelhardt" <nospam@spam.org> wrote in message news:jHryc.83896$Og1.41441@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com... > What would you folks suggest if I was...

Calendar Reminder app
My sister wants me to find an app/utility that will allow her to enter calendar events such as birthdays and other anniversaries, and get reminders without her having to do anything else! (We live in cities 500 miles apart) She and my brother-in-law do not have MS Outlook. And do not want to buy it. I have no problem using an app named Calendar Creator, as I bring it up and look ahead for events I need to do something about, such as create a birthday card and mail it. My sister wants to be more passive, and have an app that is more active. Her ideal is some utility/app ...

Various ways to switch among open apps?
I've been relying on Alt-Tab to switch among open applications since Windows 3.1. Now that I sometimes have 10 or 12 apps open at any given time, I'm finding that the muscles of my hand often get strained. I really don't like the standard way that people switch among apps: moving the mouse down to the taskbar and clicking the icon of the app you want. Are there other possibilities out there? Maybe there are utilities that do this, or perhaps new hardware? Thanks for any thoughts. http://4sysops.com/archives/switcher-20-a-great-alt-tab-replacement-for-vista/...

1.2 in Dec.
Anyone have a list of fixes or features that will be included in the 1.2 Dec release? Also how firm is that date? Thanks, GarryO no and,.......no -G "Garry O'Connor" <oconnorg@telspan.com> wrote in message news:%23SwADYIfDHA.1736@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Anyone have a list of fixes or features that will be included in the 1.2 Dec > release? > > Also how firm is that date? > > Thanks, > > GarryO > > Garry We have heard that 1.2 will give us multi-lingual support so that CRM can be deployed in other countries beyond the USA. Also 1....

Outlook Today #7
I recently installed Office 2000 on a laptop running Windows XP Pro. I am having trouble opening the customize outlook today menu. When I open the Outlook Today Folder, the Customize Outlook Today button appears. When I click on the Customize Outlook Today Button, the menu does not appear. I reinstalled the program but that did not fix the problem. Any solutions??????????????? Thanks Bill OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 Really, is it that hard to use...