Best book for creating GUI using Visual C++ (VS 2003)

Hi all,

First of all sorry for the cross post. I was not sure which ng would be
most appropriate.

I need a book that gives guidelines on good GUI design (preferably,
comes with a few template GUIs one can extend). There seems to be so
many books out there, I would be very grateful to hear from any
experienced GUI designer out there - who can recommend a book for
designing GUIs.

A bit of background of my self. I am a C/C++ developer, but have some
basic GUI design experience using VBs Form Designer. I have a little
experience of MFC but I'm hoping to generate a lot of the boiler plate
stuff using MFCWizard.

I look forward to any suggestions.

MTIA

PS: Any suggestions of libraries that I can use to enhance the GUI (e.g.
XP look and feel, chart controls etc) will be evry welcome.

0
ptremblay (4)
6/17/2005 1:23:14 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Define "good GUI design".

For example, is VS.NET IDE a "good GUI design"? (Answer: it isn't. It is a prime example
of a design so poor it is mind-boggling). Is Word "good GUI design"? (Unless you disable
the partial-menu feature, it sucks). Good GUI design is a design that keeps the itnerface
issues "out of the loop" of the user interaction with the system.

I'm sure there are books that talk about good GUI design, although "GUI Bloopers", which
talks about BAD GUI design, is worth reading. It is amazing how bad an interface can be.

I have no idea what constitutes "good" GUI design in an absolute sense. But in particular
problem domains, various techniques can be applied. Tabbed dialogs are better inferfaces
than scrolling interfaces (compare VS6 to VS.NET to see how poorly "Properties" can be
implemented by someone who is totally clueless about user interfaces). Things which keep
data in front of the user are better than things that hide it (short edit controls with
horizontal scrolling are perhaps among the worst of the user interface mistakes you can
make). Lots of buttons on the button bar, with obscure icons, can be bad in most
situations, but for certain applications where there is a well-understood iconography, or
if your icons are clear and simple, you can make it work very well indeed (I once
delivered a product that edited a file type called "PUP" files. The icon to invoke the
"PUP" editor was an icon of a small dog. No user ever missed understanding this one).
Toolbars can be powerful interface options or they can be annoying distractions.

Perhaps one of the more interesting books for a GUI designer is Norman & Linday's "Human
Information Processing", a book on cognitive psychology, because it teaches you about the
most important letter in GUI design: the "U". If you don't understand the user, you can't
do a good itnerface. All the rest of the stuff we do, buttons, menus, etc., are just
mechanisms that are supposed to support that letter; that is, the "G" and "I" parts are
technologies. The "U" is all that matters. And always remember (something the designer of
VS.NET forgot, or more likely, never learned) "You can always tell an interface designed
by a programmer. It is logical, consistent, hierarchical, and completely and utterly
unusable". No book written by a programmer is going to get you past that hurdle.

As far as "enhancing" the GUI, there are a number of third-party graph packages and other
enhancements that add a lot. Dundas and Stingray are well-known packages which a lot of
people use and like. I've used a very general charting package from www.gigasoft.com which
has done some nice things, such as real-time scrolling of incoming mass spectroscope data.
					joe

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:23:14 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tremblay <ptremblay@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>First of all sorry for the cross post. I was not sure which ng would be
>most appropriate.
>
>I need a book that gives guidelines on good GUI design (preferably,
>comes with a few template GUIs one can extend). There seems to be so
>many books out there, I would be very grateful to hear from any
>experienced GUI designer out there - who can recommend a book for
>designing GUIs.
>
>A bit of background of my self. I am a C/C++ developer, but have some
>basic GUI design experience using VBs Form Designer. I have a little
>experience of MFC but I'm hoping to generate a lot of the boiler plate
>stuff using MFCWizard.
>
>I look forward to any suggestions.
>
>MTIA
>
>PS: Any suggestions of libraries that I can use to enhance the GUI (e.g.
>XP look and feel, chart controls etc) will be evry welcome.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
6/17/2005 6:04:22 PM
You are quite correct about the importance of the "U", and what is a good idea
is to make sure that a "U" tests it.

I have found that I can use programs I have written really well, but then I
wrote the program and know exactly what to do. Sometimes, watching a "U" using
the program, I have noticed that it is not so bleeding obvious what one is
supposed to do next.

I also think it important to have menus etc conform to what most windows
programs do eg when a user clicks on 'File' or 'Tools', something familiar pops up.
0
isemmel (236)
6/17/2005 7:18:19 PM
Just an example: someone recently redesigned WinDbg. Now, in every program in the Known
Universe, right click means "pop up a context menu". In the new, "improved", WinDbg, it
means "paste random garbage into the command window". It is hard to imagine the person who
wrote this has a clue. Similarly, the windows "undock" and become free-floating. So here I
was with a student for whom the debugger had locked up and was non-responsive. It turns
out the fool who recoded WinDbg made sure that if WinDbg pops up a MessageBox which
requires user action, this will pop up UNDER one of the undocked floating windows!!!! It
is hard to image worse cases of design which clearly never had "U" in mind. (The worst
example is VS.NET, which was clearly never presented to any "U" who didn't drool and
therefore was incapable of offering criticism. Or, when presented to intelligent users,
their feedback did not fit the designer's preconceived world view and were therefore
ignored as irrelevant).

I should also suggest my essay "Who owns the GUI" on my MVP Tips site.

My spousal unit delivered a database system (she does Access programming) and came home
one day in a foul mood. "Users!" she said, with disdain. "My perfectly working program is
going to require a lot of rework!". I just looked smug. It was an issue of designing an
interface that the users would *love*, not one that merely worked. After she saw the
workflow, she had to rearrange the controls and the tab order to fit the input forms in
the way that they *read* the forms, which was not the way the forms were laid out!

It is appalling these days that Microsoft now feels that having massively suckful ad-hoc
interfaces designed by individuals who ignore the GUI programming guidelines are an
acceptable way to create products! It used to be that if you started up a Microsoft
product, you knew how it worked at what to expect. Now there are so many bizarre ways of
doing windows, floating windows, docking windows, floating toolbars, etc. that even
knowing how Office works (which is peculiar enough these days) you can no longer apply the
knowledge to other products. The company has completely lost control of its interfaces
internally! There is no excuse for this other than lack of management oversight.

Perfect;ly-functional programs like WinDbg are being "redesigned" based on designs which
as far as I can tell are poorly communicated and even more poorly implemented, and
consequently work differently from every other program with a similar-but-not-identical
infterface. WinDbg, we were told, was redesigned to resemble VS.NET, without any
recognition that VS.NET is the worst design they have ever produced. And those who have
used both WinDbg and VS.NET (besides me) have observed that WinDbg does NOT work as VS.NET
works, but apparenlty completely differently, and is essentially unusable. This new fad
for creation of unusable interfaces MUST STOP!

What scares me about what I've seen in Longhorn is that it makes it easy to create
interfaces even more bizarre and unusable than the current ones! [I can't say exactly what
those features are because I don't know where my NDA cuts in, but I can say that I do not
like much of what I'm seeing].

[I hope someone at Microsoft reads these complaints!]
					joe

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 05:18:19 +1000, Ian Semmel <isemmel@removejunkmailrocketcomp.com.au>
wrote:

>You are quite correct about the importance of the "U", and what is a good idea
>is to make sure that a "U" tests it.
>
>I have found that I can use programs I have written really well, but then I
>wrote the program and know exactly what to do. Sometimes, watching a "U" using
>the program, I have noticed that it is not so bleeding obvious what one is
>supposed to do next.
>
>I also think it important to have menus etc conform to what most windows
>programs do eg when a user clicks on 'File' or 'Tools', something familiar pops up.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
6/18/2005 5:20:52 AM
Paul,

<whisper>http://developer.apple.com/ue/. There's lots of - scattered - good
reading on usability on the Apple developer site</whisper>

Johan Rosengren
Abstrakt Mekanik AB

"Paul Tremblay" <ptremblay@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi all,
>
> First of all sorry for the cross post. I was not sure which ng would be
> most appropriate.
>
> I need a book that gives guidelines on good GUI design (preferably, comes
> with a few template GUIs one can extend). There seems to be so many books
> out there, I would be very grateful to hear from any experienced GUI
> designer out there - who can recommend a book for designing GUIs.
>
> A bit of background of my self. I am a C/C++ developer, but have some
> basic GUI design experience using VBs Form Designer. I have a little
> experience of MFC but I'm hoping to generate a lot of the boiler plate
> stuff using MFCWizard.
>
> I look forward to any suggestions.
>
> MTIA
>
> PS: Any suggestions of libraries that I can use to enhance the GUI (e.g.
> XP look and feel, chart controls etc) will be evry welcome.

many thanks all, for your very useful and informative feedback.
Lots of food for thought!. Once again, many thanks!

Paul Tremblay wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all sorry for the cross post. I was not sure which ng would be
> most appropriate.
>
> I need a book that gives guidelines on good GUI design (preferably,
> comes with a few template GUIs one can extend). There seems to be so
> many books out there, I would be very grateful to hear from any
> experienced GUI designer out there - who can recommend a book for
> designing GUIs.
>
> A bit of background of my self. I am a C/C++ developer, but have some
> basic GUI design experience using VBs Form Designer. I have a little
> experience of MFC but I'm hoping to generate a lot of the boiler plate
> stuff using MFCWizard.
>
> I look forward to any suggestions.
>
> MTIA
>
> PS: Any suggestions of libraries that I can use to enhance the GUI (e.g.
> XP look and feel, chart controls etc) will be evry welcome.

0
ptremblay (4)
6/18/2005 8:26:49 AM
In article news:<02b7b1dcqgcer3qho618c9mi9iba2na9k5@4ax.com>, Joseph M.
Newcomer wrote:
> [I can't say exactly what those features are because I don't know where
> my NDA cuts in, but I can say that I do not like much of what I'm seeing].

I haven't seen Longhorn ... but I have been getting that feeling about quite
a bit of what's been coming out of Redmond recently. Some things they're
doing are brilliant, but what isn't brilliant tends to be terrible.

Cheers,
 Daniel.

0
wastebasket (364)
6/18/2005 10:27:00 AM
Probably not surprising. For a long time, Apple had Donald Norman ("The Design of Everyday
Things"---which should be a prerequisite document for everyone doing GUI design to
read---as a consultant. Microsoft does not seem to have anyone establishing GUI design
principles, and these days, anyone with a p-baked idea (p is usually substantially < 0.1;
0.5 is half-baked) is free to build whatever bizarre interface demonstrates the
programmer's skills, whether it makes sense or not.

Never forget "Bob".

I've seen demos where, like "Bob", you "walk into a room". Nobody stops to question the
fact that we rarely walk into rooms when we are programming; since people do it, it must
be a natural paradigm. I don't want to walk into a room and look around; I want to sit
down and get some work done.

Even windowing is seen as cool, but 99% of the time, every app I have runs full-screen.
Rarely do I need to see two windows at once. When I need to see two things at once, I
usually need a lot of screen real estate, and two half-screens don't work. Right now I
have two 20" monitors, each of which is running full-screen windows. I expect my next
system will have a four-head display. I want LOTS of space, and lots of little windows are
not the same as lots of space!

When I'm working on Word, I find that I park all the tool windows on the right-hand
display, and do my editing full-screen  in the left-hand display.

The other pardigm which isn't bad is the tiled-window-within-an-app approach, such as VS,
where I have watch windows, stack display, locals display, source code, and the project
tree all displayed at the same time. Often this is in the right-hand display while the app
I'm debugging is in the left-hand display so I can easily single-step through OnPaint
handlers. But I have little interest in lots and lots of concurrent windows on a single
monitor. There just isn't enough screen space. And I'm seeing a proclivity to that idea in
some of the stuff I've been seeing.

Perhaps it is time for Microsoft to start asking the users what they need, instead of
letting an anarchy of programmers playing theme-and-variation on badly-thought-out ideas.
					joe
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:08:43 +0200, "Johan Rosengren" <johan.rosengren@telia.com> wrote:

>Paul,
>
><whisper>http://developer.apple.com/ue/. There's lots of - scattered - good
>reading on usability on the Apple developer site</whisper>
>
>Johan Rosengren
>Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>
>"Paul Tremblay" <ptremblay@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First of all sorry for the cross post. I was not sure which ng would be
>> most appropriate.
>>
>> I need a book that gives guidelines on good GUI design (preferably, comes
>> with a few template GUIs one can extend). There seems to be so many books
>> out there, I would be very grateful to hear from any experienced GUI
>> designer out there - who can recommend a book for designing GUIs.
>>
>> A bit of background of my self. I am a C/C++ developer, but have some
>> basic GUI design experience using VBs Form Designer. I have a little
>> experience of MFC but I'm hoping to generate a lot of the boiler plate
>> stuff using MFCWizard.
>>
>> I look forward to any suggestions.
>>
>> MTIA
>>
>> PS: Any suggestions of libraries that I can use to enhance the GUI (e.g.
>> XP look and feel, chart controls etc) will be evry welcome.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
6/18/2005 7:44:59 PM
There ised to be "User interface Hall of Shame" website, but it's not there
anymore.

A piece of crap called Lotus Notes I've had to use for long time, got a good
beating there! Imagine EVERYTHING in UI done wrong way...

Regarding WinDbg, I think it's always been a product of some amateur
programmer, done in spare time, without any usability analysis. When they
decided to make it more modern, the result was not quite good. Maybe it was
bangalored, like poor OE.

> Probably not surprising. For a long time, Apple had Donald Norman ("The
> Design of Everyday
> Things"---which should be a prerequisite document for everyone doing GUI
> design to
> read---as a consultant. Microsoft does not seem to have anyone
> establishing GUI design
> principles, and these days, anyone with a p-baked idea (p is usually
> substantially < 0.1;
> 0.5 is half-baked) is free to build whatever bizarre interface
> demonstrates the
> programmer's skills, whether it makes sense or not.

0
alegr (1131)
6/19/2005 8:39:44 PM
No, I met the guy who did it a few weeks ago at Driver DevCon. He felt real proud of his
work. We beat him up mericlessly. One guy in the group pointed out that the new WinDbg is
no longer part of the solution; it is so #$*% difficult to use that it actively INTERFERES
with the debugging process!  At that point, I had not yet seen the bug where the dialogs
pop up UNDER the windows, but that one feature alone proves that the current design is
irrevocably flawed.

As far as imaginining EVERYTHING done in a UI the wrong way, we don't need to look at
Lotus Notes; just look at VS.NET!

Probably the reason the Web site was taken down is that it is no longer possible to get a
reasonable quota for handling all the poor interfaces created. Look at how "Quicken" was
"improved" by a bunch of idiots who never, ever actually USED Quicken in their business.
Stupid restrictions like "You have too many windows opened. Please close some" which
should read "We, the idiots who designed this, never thought you would need more than 20
windows, so in our arrogance we avoided the normal interface which had no limits and built
one which has gratuitous limits that no normal GUI interface would have. You are screwed,
so please make your life more difficult by closing some of those windows you are using to
compensate for our incompetence".
				joe

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:39:44 -0700, "Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:

>There ised to be "User interface Hall of Shame" website, but it's not there
>anymore.
>
>A piece of crap called Lotus Notes I've had to use for long time, got a good
>beating there! Imagine EVERYTHING in UI done wrong way...
>
>Regarding WinDbg, I think it's always been a product of some amateur
>programmer, done in spare time, without any usability analysis. When they
>decided to make it more modern, the result was not quite good. Maybe it was
>bangalored, like poor OE.

>> Probably not surprising. For a long time, Apple had Donald Norman ("The
>> Design of Everyday
>> Things"---which should be a prerequisite document for everyone doing GUI
>> design to
>> read---as a consultant. Microsoft does not seem to have anyone
>> establishing GUI design
>> principles, and these days, anyone with a p-baked idea (p is usually
>> substantially < 0.1;
>> 0.5 is half-baked) is free to build whatever bizarre interface
>> demonstrates the
>> programmer's skills, whether it makes sense or not.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
6/20/2005 2:30:22 AM
I know you've got strong feelings toward VS.NET, but as long as you don't
use MFC it's pretty good IDE and very good compiler. It's not anywhere near
LN in the crap department.
I agree those crappy property lists and message lists are done wrong way.
Somehow I got used to it, though. I wish someone wrote a plugin to do this
stuff the right way. BTW, a good project assignment for your students!

> As far as imaginining EVERYTHING done in a UI the wrong way, we don't need
> to look at
> Lotus Notes; just look at VS.NET!

0
alegr (1131)
6/20/2005 5:29:05 AM
Spot On.

VS6 was THE best compiler IDE around.
VS2005 B1/B2 is worhless & useless (sorry but that's true!)
I'm not talk-show about memory hog, the gigabytes of install and the messy
installation. No just the 'U'sability.

Worse is they tried to copy CodeWarrior Gui. When a leader starts copying
competation you know that's bad omen!

BRegards
John

"Daniel James" <wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote in message
> In article news:<02b7b1dcqgcer3qho618c9mi9iba2na9k5@4ax.com>, Joseph M.
> Newcomer wrote:
>> [I can't say exactly what those features are because I don't know where
>> my NDA cuts in, but I can say that I do not like much of what I'm
>> seeing].
>
> I haven't seen Longhorn ... but I have been getting that feeling about
> quite
> a bit of what's been coming out of Redmond recently. Some things they're
> doing are brilliant, but what isn't brilliant tends to be terrible.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.

0
john6196 (3)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Using Relative path for XML data file?

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

C-RunTime or Win32
This is a big question I always get in my mind, that Should I use C-Run Time Library functions or Win32 Functions? e.g. A simple task, open a file, if exist, open for read or open as append for write, what is its path, directory, extension, file attributes, etc. Now, all these taks, we need in our every projects, and hence I hace this question, that CRTL or Win32. Thanks for your vital views. Tom Alter wrote: > This is a big question I always get in my mind, that Should I use C-Run Time Library > functions or Win32 Functions? > e.g. A simple task, open a file, if exist, open for r...

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

How to create an autonumber field?

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

about Exchange 2003 sp2
Hi, I upgrade my Exchange 2003 to sp2, and find out a message in application event log: Event id: 1004 Source: Application Error Failed application program: inetinfo.exe This message is with blue color, not red. And until now my Exchange service all work, and information store can mount without any problem. But I still worry about maybe something will happen. So can anyone help me what��s happened? Many thanks for your help! Hi David, What is the full text of the event log message? Also, are the IIS Admin, SMTP and World Wide Web Publishing services running? -- Scott ...

How can I create Schedule Chart?
I have simply an activity list which shows START and FINISH date of related activity. I need to put this information into a Chart, so that i will get a bar chart highligting the line between the START and FINISH date of the activity. It is very similar to what we can create in Microsoft Project. Do you know a specific chart type for this? It's called a Gantt chart: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346051033.aspx http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html http://www.mrexcel.com/tip058.shtml -- David Biddulph "mezzanine1974" <savas_karaduman@yahoo.com>...