Application hanging on file load...

Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here
will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC
application that does some networked communication, multi-threading,
fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files.  Now, on
most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no
problems.  On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to
load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the
application hangs.  All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows
2000 boxes with Service Pack 4.  The first box I noticed this problem
on was actually a Windows 2000 server, but since then I've seen the
problem on another Windows 2000 box.  I've double-checked, and all the
associated DLLs seem to be in place.  Can anyone give me an idea of
what I might be doing wrong, or what I could do to fix it?

0
dshideler (7)
3/15/2006 7:33:45 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

This could be due to many many things. Have you tried to debug on those
machines? That would be a good start. Look at the stack when
application seems to hang. If you logging in your application,  look at
the log and see if it gives you some clues.

---------
Ajay Kalra
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/15/2006 7:39:40 PM
Does the file dialog come up slowly on other applications (or are you trying
to set an initial folder).  I'm asking because if you try to access a shared
folder that is no longer there it can sometimes take a long time to time-out
and that can give the impression of hanging.

Tom

"David" <dshideler@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here
> will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC
> application that does some networked communication, multi-threading,
> fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files.  Now, on
> most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no
> problems.  On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to
> load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the
> application hangs.  All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows
> 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4.  The first box I noticed this problem
> on was actually a Windows 2000 server, but since then I've seen the
> problem on another Windows 2000 box.  I've double-checked, and all the
> associated DLLs seem to be in place.  Can anyone give me an idea of
> what I might be doing wrong, or what I could do to fix it?

0
tserface (3861)
3/15/2006 7:43:48 PM
Okay, that's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.  I'm not, in fact,
setting an initial folder, but as soon as I did, it works fine.  I'm
not sure what folders it would initialize to look for that wouldn't be
there... And I don't think I want it to go to the same place every
time, either... I would like it to go to wherever they last used...
assuming the path is valid...  Any thoughts on how to get around this
problem?

0
dshideler (7)
3/15/2006 8:32:53 PM
I typically remember (in the registry) the folder where the last file was
selected and use that, but you can also use something like:

TCHAR szLastFolder[MAX_PATH];

BOOL bFound = ::GetCurrentDirectory(sizeof(szLastFolder) - 1, szLastFolder);

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/getcurrentdirectory.asp

> Okay, that's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.  I'm not, in fact,
> setting an initial folder, but as soon as I did, it works fine.  I'm
> not sure what folders it would initialize to look for that wouldn't be
> there... And I don't think I want it to go to the same place every
> time, either... I would like it to go to wherever they last used...
> assuming the path is valid...  Any thoughts on how to get around this
> problem?

0
tserface (3861)

Hyperlink has changed on file re-opening
[Excel 2002, Win XP Pro] Hi All, i have cells in a sheet whose cell contents are hyperlinked to wor documents. the hyperlink is generated using VBA. part of the fil name includes the '[' and ']' characters (square brackets) when the macro is run, everything works fine (click in one of the cell and the appropriate word file opens) BUT when the workbook is closed an re-opened, the '[' & ']' is changed to '%5b' and '%5d' respectivel (which i guess is some srt of charatcer code for those symbols) if the hyperlink macro is re-run, it 're...

how do I create qif files from Excel for import into Quicken?
Want to import a bunch of financial data that's in Excel into Quicken. Can I create a QIF file from Excel? You'll need a converter utility for this. Here's a google search that might help: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-31,GGLD:en&q=convert+excel+to+quicken tj "pb" wrote: > Want to import a bunch of financial data that's in Excel into Quicken. > Can I create a QIF file from Excel? Hi *pb*, See if http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php suits your purpose. Don't forget to back up the folde...

Contacts File Link?
I have several computers on a home network and WLM does a fine job of keeping the contacts in sync on all the computer. I am giving one of the systems to a friend. What is the best way to un-sync the contacts file on the system that I am giving away so they can have there own contacts file? Uninstall WL and reinstall with a new WL ID or Passport? Create a new Windows user. Remove the old user. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:2099F8C5-9BCE-4229-A3D2-5187C1F4FFF9@microsoft.com... > I have several...

Export to Text Files Based on Field Value
I have an Access table with personal information (e.g., first name, last name, birth date, etc.) for thousands of people. The table is sorted by state. I want to be able to run a macro on that table that will create separate pipe delimited text files for each state with all fields included. Any help would be appreciated? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/201005/1 Instead of exporting the table, export a query based on the table. You will have to have some code that loops through the states and modifies the quer...

How to import Eudora files into Outlook
I've searched the forum, and everyone seems to have already been able to bring their old Eudora files into Outlook. I am now trying to do this but cannot figure out how. I'm not even sure exactly where to find my Eudora files, much less get them over to Outlook 2007. Can someone help me here. My hard drive crashed last Friday and I have rebuilt a new one except for my email program. I have been using Thunderbird temporarily, but I really don't like it. My Eudora files are saved to a hard drive and Thunderbird imported them with no problem. But I can't for the life of me figur...

Is there a way to extract files from the Off line files cache
I have a laptop that used to be a member of a SBS 2003 domain and was utilizing folder redirection of My Documents. The laptop was never reconfigured to remove it from the domain and the user continued to use the domain login. Since that time (about a year ago), the computer and user were removed from the SBS domain. So far so good, the user on the laptop was happy.. Today, the laptop was worked on and was removed from the domain. Now, the question is, where are the files that used to be in My documents? I beleive they are cached in the Offline files folder (C:\wind...

File Stuck In Outbox
I have a 6 MB file that can not be sent or deleted from my inbox. I followed the "Assistance" suggestions on the MS web site but had no luck. Any idea? http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/recover_deleted.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/...

How to delete a .mny file...
I'm new to Money 2003. I imported Quicken 2002 data, and for some reason, one or two accounts did not completely transfer. I repeated the import and opened a new Money file (with a new name.) This time it went smoothly. Simple question: can I just delete the old Money file I first created? Is it as simple as going to "my computer" and deleting the appropriate .mny file? Thanks for any response. EL In microsoft.public.money, EL wrote: >I'm new to Money 2003. I imported Quicken 2002 data, and >for some reason, one or two accounts did not completely >...

convert or open .pub file
I have recieved a file with a .pub extention. I do not have publisher, any ideas on how to open it, and readers that I can download. No trial is offered for this program to download? I tried acrobat distiller (microsoft said it would work) but it dosent work thank corey corey wrote: > I have recieved a file with a .pub extention. I > do not have publisher, any ideas on how to > open it, and readers that I can download. ================================= Best bet would be open it in the Publisher version that created it. There are no Publisher viewers. Here's some info you ma...

sync between outlook crm & vertical applications
I would like to ask if there is any way to make synchronization & work offline with outlook client & view new entities that were created in a vertical application ? I would like to get into the outlook client the new information in addition to the current entities ? For example. We developed new form using the CRM SDK & We would like to view this information through the outlook client when working offline . Can We intervene the synchronization process for our needs ? As you have probably guess customizations created using the CRM SDK can only be viewed in the Outlook client when ...

Unable to run excel macro after changing file name
After changing the filename in an excel macro, receiving Error number 5 - Invalid procedure call or argument when users with excel 2000 run the macro. Users with excel 2003 are not having this issue Post the line of code that is causing the error. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "merf" <merf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F68DF323-214D-4F01-8D8E-654F9500242E@microsoft.com... > After changing the filename in an excel macro, receiving Error > number 5 - > Invalid procedure cal...

Help with Links to Files
Hello, I have a file in Word 97-2003 compatibility mode. When I select the Office Button / Prepare I see an option to Edit Links to Files. If I convert the file to 2007 format the option for Edit Links to Files is no longer there. Where did they go? thanks, mitch This is strange. The Edit Links to Files option should be available even if you save in Word 2007 format. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently break the link to the automation object? You could press Alt+F9 to see that the field code for the object is still intact. (Note that you can only see the field co...

Seam-Excel error when exporting file
When I export an excel file from a website the file exports with the file name of 'seam-excel' and I can't format the cells or create a pivot table without saving and re-naming the file. How can I get my file to not export with that file name? Is it a security setting? Have never heard of this problem being generated through Excel alone. I would suggest the source would be at the website from which you are exporting. Can you post a URL? I'd like to have a look just out of curiosity. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:41:01 -0800, fallou...

Extension 'SMTP' could not be loaded #2
Please help, We are currently running Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 Server, on the weekend the server cashed, now I get an error message "Extension 'SMTP' could not be loaded" when I try to get into the IMS (under connections), as a matter of fact; I can't get into any of the connectors, I get similar error messages. The line underneath this error message above says "The handle is invalid" Does anyone have any idea what could be broken here? and how I can repair it. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks do you have any other errors in your appli...

Comparing two excel files
I work with large data in excel. Most of the time I need to match two different worksheets. Both worksheets always have two columns that contains same data (name & ID). What would be the best way to match names and ID to obtain a new file with data that couldn't match? if Excel good to do that or should I use other software like Access? please advise. Look at Chip Pearson's page on working with Duplicates and Uniques http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy Alexandra <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1091601c3f335$a...

Flat files to XML
Hello all, How can I convert unstructured flat files into structured XML? Are there any scientific articles and tools that handles this subject? Bye, hakhan Check out http://tinyurl.com/4vgn8 creating custom XmlReaders is a nice way to deal with with CSV or Fixe width files, although don't know exactly what you mean by unstructure files.. - jsm3 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1165932.htm ...

Transfer file from Access to Server
I work with Access 2007 as a front end to a SQL Server backend. I would like to be able to select a file from my local desktop, then, through VBA/SQL transfer the file to a folder on my server. Or, store the file in a varBinary(MAX) column in a table, but then use a SPROC to take the file out of the table and place it in a folder on the server. How can I do this? -- Bill The built-in VBA sub FileCopy() will allow you to copy a file from one folder to another. If you want to provide a dialog that allows a user to select the file then have a look here: http://www.mv...

How can I convert an Excel file to an address book?
How can I convert an Excel file to an address book to import into email? ...

can't load drivers!?
Hi, I'm trying to load a driver, as I'm somewhat new to WinDDK but I'm not having much success. I have a lpatop with and Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8300 running Windows 7 64 bit. I've down loaded the latest WinDDK and did a build -cz in the Win7 IA-64 checked Build Environment. Then I try rung DPInstal and hdwwiz.exe but get the following errors: C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.0\redist\DIFx\dpinst\EngMui\ia64 DPInst.exe "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whe...

Create a flat file in Excel
I need to create a flat file in Excel using the pipe delimiter | as element, and carriage return line feed as line delimiter. How do I do this? You could change the windows list separator (in the regional settings applet in the control panel) to the vertical bar (just temporarily). Then save the file as a delimited file. Or maybe you could create a formula in another cell: =a1&"|"&b1&"|"&c1&.... And drag down. Then copy that column and paste into notepad and save the file from notepad. GF08 wrote: > > I need to create a...

Automatic Filing of messages that have just been Read
The Rules Wizard does not have the option to allow me to define a rule to automatically file a message that I just read. I would like to take a file that is in my Inbox, read it, and the next thing I know it is filed in a personal folder I call "ReadMessages". I don't want to have to move the messages manually as I read them. Any suggestions? On 10/21/2003 11:19 PM, Sid Pollock wrote: > The Rules Wizard does not have the option to allow me to > define a rule to automatically file a message that I just > read. I am not too sure if this can be done. However, ...

Unable to load Financial planner HRESULT=0x80004005
I need help! I have been receiving an error message HRESULT=0x80004005 cannot load financial planner the pop-up window pops up I click ok it goes away sometimes, sometimes it doesn't, it repeats. It has even shut down a few times. I have read the Microsoft suggested fixes and haven't had any luck as of yet. The Standard file repair doesn't work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Money (2005 btw) with no luck. I am hesitant about exporting all my data and importing to a new file. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am running XP Home Money 2005 Deluxe. T...

Can 2 users use the same Outlook XP .pst file??
Hi, My computer has 2 different user names. Is it possible for both users to use the same Outlook (XP) mail files? If so, does anyone know how? Thanks Different users can share the same pst file as long as they both have access to the file and they don't access the pst file at the same time. "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:002901c3cc29$c39da5c0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > My computer has 2 different user names. Is it possible > for both users to use the same Outlook (XP) mail files? > If so, does anyone know how? > >...

Choosing File Details to Include
When syncing my device through WMP using WMA files all the file details (such as artist name, album name) were transfered with the file. However, when I tried to sync MP3 files the only info that transferred was the file (song) name - it also had included the the track# as part of the song name. Last night I THINK I came across a window where I could check off which details to include and also had the option to remove the track # from the song name. Today I cannot find that screen anywhere. Where would I have seen such a screen and how do I find it again? Thanks -- ...

Publisher98 won't open Publisher95 file.
Hi, A friend of mine wanted me to review at his first publication before he prepared it for printing. The problem is that when he sent me the file it I was unable to open it. I looked in the file properties to discover that he uses Publisher 95 version 5.0. I use Publisher98. Is there a way to fix this? I searched Microsoft's website for a converter or upgrade that would allow this, but I've had no luck so far. Thanks. Ruthie :) Is the file you are tying to open on your hard disk or a floppy? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Ruthie-chan" <ruthiecha...