Any books or articles about the UI design in MFC?

Any books or articles about the UI design in MFC?

It is rather a difficult thing to customize the design generated by the MFC
wizard for a starter.

Should I always hold up a message, and then write my own code, if I want to
modify the classical window design, for example, to paste a picture on the
postion of the menu and the toolbar or change the color?

Thank you very much.

0
desig (1)
1/6/2007 7:48:01 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> Any books or articles about the UI design in MFC?
>
> It is rather a difficult thing to customize the design generated by the MFC
> wizard for a starter.
>
> Should I always hold up a message, and then write my own code, if I want to
> modify the classical window design, for example, to paste a picture on the
> postion of the menu and the toolbar or change the color?

There are books on how to use MFC and then you have excellent support
sites such as codeproject/codeguru which is what you seem to need.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
1/6/2007 2:00:07 PM
Actually, it is rather easy.  You just have to know what to do.

Much of what you are asking for is actually built into MFC already.  Just add message
handlers for the messages you want to intercept.  One key issue here is to know when to
exploit the "reflected" messages so you can handle events in the window class that are
normally handled by the parent class.

"Change the color" is a pretty broad question.  Change the color of what?  =WM_CTLCOLOR is
a typical mechanism for controls, OnPaint/OnEraseBkgnd for other windows, DrawItem for
owner-draw menus.

Although somewhat dated, the book "MFC Internals" by Wingo & Shepherd is still fairly
relevant, although it doesn't cover all the internals.  While out of print, it is
available in the used section of amazon.com, or was the last time I looked.

I have essays on my MVP Tips site plus lots of free code downloads, and there are several
orders of magnitude more examples on places like www.codeproject.com.

When you can direct a specific question, then we can give a specific answer.
						joe

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 23:48:01 -0800, Any books or articles about the UI desig <Any books or
articles about the UI desig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Any books or articles about the UI design in MFC?
>
>It is rather a difficult thing to customize the design generated by the MFC
>wizard for a starter.
>
>Should I always hold up a message, and then write my own code, if I want to
>modify the classical window design, for example, to paste a picture on the
>postion of the menu and the toolbar or change the color?
>
>Thank you very much.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

MFC question, writing my own ComboBox like control
Hello I am new to MFC programming and I want to do the following: I want to create my own Combobox like control, however using a CEdit. class CMyEdit : public CEdit { CListBox m_lbHistory; .. .. .. } I override both OnCreate and Create() of CMyEdit in order to get notification when the control is created, afterwards I want to create the m_lbHistory control then hide it, then later show it when user presses DOWN. 1) Why aren't Oncreate() nor Create() being called? 2) What is the proper way to create the m_lbHistory control from CMyEdit ? 3) How can I handle the messages that will...

Full Offline Address Book download
Out OAB generation failed to build the changes file over night because a new parent Legacy Exchange DN container value was found during the build process. This caused a full download of the OAB for all clients. I have tried to find out which new or modified object had caused the new PDN, but I was unable not find it. I run a full ldifde export from the AD, but could not find any legacyExchangeDN or X500 address that would be responsible for the new PDN. I knew which PDN has been created from the warning logged on the OAB server and I have located this new PDN in the updndex.oab file, so...

error message mfc application
I keep getting an error message saying microsoft has detected an error, mfc application. what should i look for???? is there a potential virus, i have scanned with norton and nothing is being picked up????? Is this a program that your developing or is this the message windows gives you when you attempt to run the application? Have you tried to debug the application? -- ============ Frank Hickman NobleSoft, Inc. ============ Replace the _nosp@m_ with @ to reply. "kruark99" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30EE73CA-1E2B-4A33-BF53-B28AEE3E2421@mi...

MFC chart with user-definable X-axis ticks/labels/grid
I am looking for an MFC charting widget that will allow user-definable X-axis ticks/labels/grid lines. For example, say I have data with X values ranging from 0 - 10,000. I want to show all data on the chart. However, I only want to show an X axis tick mark, label, and vertical grid line at certain X values, for example at x = 100 and x = 5000. Does anyone know of an MFC chart widget where this type of feature is supported? Many thanks for your help, John They have an active X version for VC++ developers http://www.nevron.com/ AliR. <jpw@creare.com> wrote in message news:1175...

address book contact birthdate
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop When I enter my mother's birthdate in 1915, it always enters as 1920. I have tried everything and it insists that she is only 89. Any hints? On 2/8/10 12:35 PM, in article 59bb2787.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "annieokie71@officeformac.com" <annieokie71@officeformac.com> wrote: > When I enter my mother's birthdate in 1915, it always enters as 1920. I have > tried everything and it insists that she is only 89. Any hints? Give up and write the real info...

Netscape address book to Outlook 2003
Does anyone know how to successfully transfer the address book from Netscape 7.2 to Outlook 2003? I have a lot of end users that are using Netscape and are being forced into switching over to Outlook. Any help would be great fully appreciated. Dan (Still going in circles) Dan (Still going in circles) "skip" <wi1202@dropthistoemailmecitlink.net> wrote in message news:cqhi33hacvvg9f98pk070g1a56tfbpk20a@4ax.com... > Does anyone know how to successfully transfer the address book from > Netscape 7.2 to Outlook 2003? I have a lot of end users that are using > Netscape an...

how do i design on both back and front of business card
I am desiging my own business card, i want to design on both the back and front, how do i go about doing this.. it is just a blank template i am using Insert, page. When it is time to print, print current page, go to page two, turn the stock over, print current page. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "natashaneedshelp" <natashaneedshelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFD5DDC6-B46F-4009-AEDA-1549C6CB56B9@microsoft.com... >I am desiging my own business card, > i want to design on both the back and front, > how do i go about d...

Prof-UIS
Anyone used Prof-UIS ? I am trying out the functions in this package and attempting to add a few CExtToolControlBar. I call the Create, EnableDocking , then DockControlBar methods. The bars appears at the top of the screen where I would expect, but buttons are all blank. I can click the buttons and the floating help works, but any attempt to drag the toolbar or click the little down arrow on the right, or any updateUI methods causes a crash with no useful debug info. Any suggestions? GT wrote: > Anyone used Prof-UIS ? > > I am trying out the functions in this package and at...

Email address book security
Thanks for reading this postig. I'm running Outlook 2003 and have recently experienced a new prompt popping when I compose a new email. The prompt says - A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected it may be a virus etc..... Allow access for xx minutes It seemed to conicide with loading the latest release of Adobe Acrobat 6. I've disabled all the Adobe tool bars etc in Outlook in attempt to stop this. Does anyone else experience this? I would to completely turn this off. Is there a reg key that will...

Website to book
I have a website about a classic Sailboat design www.dolphin24.org. The website uses Dreamweaver and has a lot of pictures and PDF stuff. A lot of people have asked if I can convert this to a book. Can this be done using Publisher? Is there software that makes this easier? Thanks Excellent website...I could browse it for hours. You certainly (imo) have enough there to create a book, but it won't be a "push a button" solution. You'll have to convert everything manually; the text will have to be unformatted, you'll need to have all the image files in the highest res...

Entourage Address Book will not sync with Mac or MobileMe Address Book

why does face book prevent me from closing internet explorer?
why does facebook as my home page prevent me from closing internet explorer? rick wrote: > why does facebook as my home page prevent me from closing internet explorer? No problem here. Went to http://www.facebook.com/ and then exited IE8 which closed just fine. Tried running IE7/8 (you never specified YOUR version) in its no add-ons mode to see if an add-on is causing the problem? " I have and use Face book a lot. If I use the large page, instead of the small one, my PC freezes up. why is this happening? Luann wrote: > " > > I have and u...

How do I add CONTACTS to my Address Book ?
I dont mean adding a Name and Email Address What I mean is adding CONTACTS to the Address Book, where Outlook Address Book and Personal Address Book are located. Outlook has not used a Personal Address Book for years. Neither should you. It was replaced by the Outlook Address Book. The Outlook Address Book displays your Contacts automatically when you configure it correctly. If you need help doing that, provide your Outlook version or read the instructions in the Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287563 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "XP User" <my_email@is...

The wizard cannot find clipart needed for this design
Im MANY designs, Publisher 2003 cannot find the clip art. I installed as an upgrade from Office XP. I have also uninstalled Office XP and run a clean install of Office 2003 Pro. I have cleared the cache in IE6. I have checked the Knowledge Base. Nothing solves the problem. Any ideas? Are you online at the time? You must be with 2003. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "tomsan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14cd901c44522$f616a3e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Im MANY designs, Publisher 2003 cannot find the clip art. > I installed as a...

MFC, example
Please i want to have an example to guide me in how to build an application the Microsoft Foundation Class. I want an example like the Wordpad because i have make with other tools (language) and it will be easy for me to do it again and understand it if i can try to do it with MFC in Visual C++ Please help me i don't have this example with me and i hope that if you have it you will send it to me thank you in advance and see you Bye. Search for the Scribble tutorial in msdn to start with. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "mazef...

MFC Activex OnDraw
Is there a way to inform a container like Word or Excel to not use a metafile dc to perform drawing in an Activex control? ...

reference book for Microsoft Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 Administration Guide
Dear all, I would like to buy a reference book for Microsoft Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 Administration Guide. Could you guys suggest one as you think it is good? Thanks in advance. The list of books that I like are listed here: http://www.exchangetrainer.com/links.htm -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "wom" <wombat_chan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eCqMO2$$DHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > I would like to buy a reference book for Microsoft Exchange 2000 or Exchange > 2003 Administrati...

rint equivalent in win32 or MFC
Hi, I would like to know the equivalent function on win platform to rint. rint(), rintf() round to integral value in floating-point format Function SYNOPSIS #include <math.h> double rint(double x) float rintf(float x) DESCRIPTION The rint() function returns the integral value (represented as a double precision number) nearest to x according to the prevailing rounding mode. The rintf() function is a single-precision version of rint(). PARAMETERS x Is the floating point value to round. RETURN VALUES The rint() function returns the integral value nearest to x. If x is...

MFC/C++ report writing?
Does anyone here use MFC/C++/GDI+ to write in-house business reports? or most people should use crystal report instead? I am trying to develop a framework for general work in businesses which constitutes of report writing, use of grid, unicode and multi-threading etc. Thanks Jack > Does anyone here use MFC/C++/GDI+ to write in-house business reports? or > most people should use crystal report instead? I am trying to develop a > framework for general work in businesses which constitutes of report > writing, use of grid, unicode and multi-threading etc. Any good freeb...

How can I call a function from an MFC Dialog upon start up
How can I call a function from an MFC Dialog upon startup without having to call it from the OnPaint() method?. I want the dialog to complete the OnPaint() and then call a function?. I am needing an Install Dialog that has a Status bar and automatically executes without any user interaction. So far I managed to get a dialog working with the status bar and by calling my install function from the OnPaint() method, but ofcourse that is not the way to program!. Thanks for any solution in advance. Robert Carlson Aqweeva Software robert@aqweeva.com Robert wrote: > > How can I call a fun...

editing kb articles
Hi, I'm trying to edit some information on unpublished kb articles. It allows me to enter information however once I save it all the information that was typed disappears. I also tried this w/ published articles, i unpublish them - edit - save and publish.. but the changes won't appear. This was not happening before. Any help/idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Didem ...

Offline Address Book not updating Outlook 2003 Exchange 2003
We use Outlook 2003 clients, cached mode, that were connecting to an Exchange 5.5 server. Migrated to Exchange 2003 using ADMT and the AD connector method. Now, new users established in the new domain on the new mail server do not appear in the original users OAB, even if we do a Send/Receive Download Address Book. I just recently moved the OAB v2 system folder from the Exchange 5.5 server to the Exchange 2003 server by adding the Ex2k3 server to the Replication tab. However, we have been getting the following errors on the 2003 mail server for weeks: Category OALGenerator Event ID 9341 T...

MFC and scope
Hi, I'm working on a program where I want to have data stored in a class for the entire program. Where should I call my class from in MFC so it doesn't go out of scope until the program quits? Thanks you don't call it from 'in mfc'. mfc is a library of classes that you call to build your application. if you want something to be accessible from everywhere in your application it has to be a global variable. "Bryan" <kashmir76@rogers.com> wrote in message news:GXnDc.68$aTP1.47@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > Hi, I'm working on a progra...

MFC classes: CDatabase, CRecordset
I use method ExecuteSQL (CDatabase class) to execute the query like this: "DECLARE @p3 int EXEC myfunction 'mytable', 1, @p3 output select @p3". The query is executed currently - the data base is updated. But I don't know how to get the return value @p3 in my program. ExecuteSQL does not return any records. You have to use CRecordset (error checking omitted): CRecordset rs(&database); CString strSql = "DECLARE @p3..."; rs.Open(CRecordset::forwardOnly, strSql, CRecordset::executeDirect | CRecordset::readOnly); if(rs.GetRecordCount() > 0) { CStrin...

how to set a window to back in vc6
Hi Folks, I am currently looking for a solution to set a windows processor to back. Basically the window (child processor)is careated by its pararent process and by default it sits in front of of its parent window. However, I want to set it in the back of the parent window after launch. Any suggestion and comments? Thanks very much in advance! Bing If you are using a Dialog, then try modeless dialog. i.e Call Create method and then ShowWindow. If it is not then you can use SetWindowPos HTH -- _____________________ Ashok K Kumar ashokkal at gmail dot com "Bing Wu" <bing@biop....