ActiveX: Reading URL content from Internet Explorer

Hi,

I've written an MFC ActiveX control to display my own file format -
call it ".xyz" files - in Internet Explorer.  I've followed the
instructions at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/components/activex/registration.asp,
and sure enough when I point my IE at http://server/myfile.xyz my
ActiveX control is loaded.

But how do I read the content of the file?  As a hack, I'm looking at
the 'src' property of my control and using WinInet to download the file
- that works, and confirms that control is working.  But using a packet
sniffer I see that when I hit Reload, the file is being downloaded
twice, once by IE and once by my control.  That's poor - there must be
an official way for a control to get the content of the URL for which
IE loaded it...?  IE does go and fetch the resource content, but how
does the control access that content?

A few more details: The control is registered as a full-page viewer
(like Adobe's PDF viewer, for example).  The way IE implements this
behind the scenes by creating an HTML page like this:

<BODY leftMargin=0 topMargin=0 scroll=no>
<EMBED src="http://server/myfile.xyz"
width="100%" height="100%" type="application/vnd.richie-xyz"
fullscreen="yes" />
</BODY>

....just in case you were wondering where that 'src' attribute was
coming from, or how this ".xyz" URL caused the ActiveX control to be
embedded in IE.

--
Richie Hindle
richie@entrian.com

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Selecting a filepath based on cell contents
ok ill try and explain this as easily as i can. I export a csv daily (1-Borrowed Hours ddmm.csv) ddmm would be the date and month I keep this folder in a similar filepath to the below g:\folder1\folder2ddmm\1-borrowed Hours ddmm.csv I have another spreadsheet that links to this spreadhseet for example lets say cell A1 on my new book links to cell A1 on the saved csv file. i would like to place a date in cell c1 and month d1 in my new book and the filepath change to the required new csv. I realise that if the path does not exist then this will cause an error. I tried using the concatenat...

Add the contents of two sheets together
I am looking for a way to add the content of two sheets or even 1 shee together. I have a large list of part numbers with quantities. Som of the part numbers are repeated. I would like to add the duplicat part number quantities together and have just 1 line with the par number and the total quantity. Does anyone have any insight? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Sounds like a job for a pivot table. See here for an intro: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm -- Andy. "mwiggins367 >" <<mwiggins367.16x77f@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote...

emailing link from Explorer tool bar
Prior to the installation of xp ( i used to use millenium) when I "send a link" from IE 6.0 it opens Outlook Express as it should but adds the url as an attachment rather than in the body of the email which I prefer. I can't find any setting adjustments on OE 6 or IE 6. Anyone with any ideas? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5...

The ActiveX control could not be created
Hello, In the Project Center of PWA 2007 + SP2 and Aug CU, I did: Actions > Export Grid to Excel. But I got the error: "The ActivX control on which this feature depends could not be created. Because of this error, you can only copy the XML data to the clipboard. Do you want to continue?" How/where can I install this ActiveX control? Thanks for your help. Depending on your IE security settings, it should prompt you to install the ActiveX control. Have you set the site as a trusted site within IE? - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.co...

Identifying all Namespace / Prefixes when reading an XML
How do I identify all of the namespace / prefix pairs associated with an XML document I am reading? Thanks for any help. Paul PaulF wrote: > How do I identify all of the namespace / prefix pairs associated with an XML > document I am reading? XPath has a namespace axis you could have your code walk. It depends on how you read your XML document, with Xml(Text)Reader you do not have XPath support. With XPathDocument or XmlDocument you do. XPath expression is //namespace::* or (with duplicates removed) //namespace::*[not(. = ../../namespace::*] Note that the prefix xml is a...

Norton Internet Security
Forgive me if this is outside the remit of this forum ... My annual subscription to Norton is due for renewal shortly and is now �55 Sterling (up from �39.99 last year). This does seem a steep rise just for the very basic package and I'm wondering whether it is worth it, or whether there are any cheaper alternatives. I appreciate that non-renewal would mean that I would not receive any of the updates and, presumably, my PC would then become more vulnerable to new threats. Realistically, how much of an issue is this for a home user that accesses the Internet c 2-3 hours ...

Formula reads date as number
I have a formula that reads a list of dates in cells K5 through K20 an compares these dates to 1 date in cell M3. Cell M3 shows a date bu when I run the evaluate formula auditing tool on the formula, M3 date shows as a number, thus the formula fails. Any hel -- pete576 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pete5761's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2961 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49423 Dates are stored as number of days since 1-1-1900. So today (dec 16,2005) is stored as...

Adding the contents of cells from other workbooks
Dear All I am trying to develop a tour sheet which has values in given cells. I have created a master tour sheet in another workbook so that when you input numbers on the original worksheet they transfer overto the master workbook. I want to be able to transfer data to the master workbook from multiple, separate worksheets/books (other people will have copies of the worksheet and fil it in.) This is where i am struggling is how can i get the data to add when other sheets are filed in as at the moment it just replaces the original data in the master copy instead of adding to it. Hope i have e...

Help: Can't display contents of Adobe Acrobat Document in Sheet
Hoping that someone can help with this. I'm trying to insert an Adobe Acrobat document into an Excel worksheet. I'd like to see the document contents, not an Icon. According to the Excel help files, it should be possible to display the file as it shows up in Acrobat but no matter what I do, I see only an Icon. I went through the procedure listed in the help files to convert the document (ensuring that "show as an Icon" is not checked) but nothing makes any difference! Any idea what I'm doing wrong? When I try this with other document types (eg AutoCad) everythi...

Error "Unable to Read Item" opening .msg files
I am having intermittent problems where a user will have saved a .MSG file from Outlook 2003, and then is unable to open it later. By default, these saved files are marked read-only, and the following error is displayed "Microsoft Office Outlook - You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation." If the read-only option is unchecked, they receive the following error trying to open the file "Microsoft Office Outlook - Unable to read the item." This problem seems to occur randomly to different users. All of my users are using Outlook 20...

Outlook 2007 Disconnects Internet Connection
I have Microsoft Office 2007 Running on a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2. It is connected using an Intel onboard NIC. No viruses or spyware are present. I started a continuous ping with the ping google.com /t command from the command line. The ping runs continuously until I open microsoft Outlook 2007at which point all network traffic stops completely. I can not even ping the router. I have tried both static and dynamic IPs. I tried switching out the network card and the router. The only way to get the computer back online after I open Outlook 2007 is to uninstall the network card...

Generate URL and trigger
Let's see if I even phrase this question correctly. We use an Access DB to enter appointments for our company. There are hundreds of querys, but in reality all the information is stored in one Table. (There are other tables used for drop down info, etc.) We are going to start using a web based software that will do additional things for us. We will continue to use the Access DB. The Web software guys are telling me to have our Access DB generate a URL for each appointment entered and have it automiatically uploaded to their software using the auto generated URL. They acted...

How to Auto duplicate cell contents?
Suppose if I type 'ABC' in 'A3' & 'DEF' in 'C4' on worksheet1 cells an I wish them to automatically show in certain cells in other worksheet (and also may be other workbooks. I tried to enter =Sheet2!D19 in sheet1 A1 cell. It works fine if had contents in sheet2 d19. But if I changed the contents in Sheet2 D19 The content in sheet1 A1 doesn't change to new content. It still show the old content! It also only show me '0' if I enter the formula befor I type in any content. And it also just remain '0' even after I entere text in sh...

Reading other users 'sent items' folders
Hi all, When using delegate access - Is there 'any' way of granting access for others to view the sent items folder? This does not appear as an option. Alternatively is there any other method to implement this? Many thanks - ras - Hi Craig! In Outlook you can right-click on Sent Items, select Properties, open Permissions tab and delegate appropriate permissions for other users. R.V. "Craig Pilkington" wrote: > Hi all, > > When using delegate access - Is there 'any' way of granting access for > others to view the sent items folder? This does n...

ActiveX control problem
Sometime ago I created an OCX control in Visual Basic 6. It's basically two VB controls in one with some added features. I have been using it in a CDialog class and dropped in the dialog. It works fine on a Win98 machine but when installed on a WinXP machine the dialog is not displayed. Nothing happens! The control is registered on the XP machine. Thanks, Mark > Sometime ago I created an OCX control in Visual Basic 6. It's basically > two VB controls in one with some added features. I have been using it in > a CDialog class and dropped in the dialog. It works fine on a Win...

Did you read about that?
you can take a look for this web sites http://www.theholyquran.org/ http://www.islamway.com/SF/quran/ http://www.geocities.com/islamone_l/index.htm http://www.imanway.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=3D90 or read this =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D What is Islam? ABOUT THE WORDS "ISLAM" AND "MUSLIM" The name of this religion is Islam, the root of which is S-L-M, which means peace. The word "Salam," derived from the same root, may also...

Per User "Mark as Read"
We have a number of users that, as well as their own e-mail address, share a common group one. The group mailbox shows the status 'Read' for all users when the first user marks it as read, for whatever reason. Is there a way that each user can have his own read status? We are using Microsoft Outlook 2000 SR1 Thanx. ...

Peek into an Exe which has MSFlexGrid, Read/Write to a cell of gr
Hai, Iam looking to peek into an Exe which has an MS Flexigrid ActiveX Control,read and write to the cell of that grid,can any one please tell me whether its possible or not ?? Thanks and Regards suresh This article : http://www.voidnish.com/articles/ShowArticle.aspx?code=manipwindows may give you some hints. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "suresh at his best" <sureshathisbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35B454EA-47E3-41A8-B016-AF90603B2525@microsoft.com... > Hai, > Iam looking ...

CRM on SBS (Internet, Domain)
Hello! I need your help regarding CRM server. I installed CRM server on the Small Business Server and it is working perfect. Our company have four offices on three diffrent locations. Server is in the HQ and i want to contact this server from any other office but i am not able to do so. On the local network it is working and server has IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS1 and DNS2. I am not able to Ping IP address from other office (Request time out 100% loss). Is there any body to help me how can i use CRM server in the any other office. I have Windows Server 2003 and cont...

Showing internet headers in Outlook 2002
I need to print out e-mails from my archive 'sent' folder and from my regular 'sent' folder to show all of the internet routing that the message took. When I go to 'view' and select 'message header', I don't see the internet routing data and can't seem to find where I would select that option to see the routing. You can find the internet headers in View | Options. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:11c701...

Graphic LCD ActiveX control
Hi, I'm looking for an ActiveX control which simulates an LCD panel and can be used to show different graphics within it. I've found one (Anon LCD, Puma) which can display only text, but no graphics in it. Appreciate if anyone could help me find one with graphic capabilities. Thanks, Sucharit ...

how to turn off preview in explorer
OS: vista 64 with latest patches GS, A simple google search with your subject yielded this address: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/116098-preview-pane-vista-windows-explorer.html Hope it solves your question. Carlos "GS" wrote: > OS: vista 64 with latest patches > > > . > thx, the link could have been useful however I found the turn of preview pane icon in the tool bar. I don't want the classic view as a side note the folder option->view tab did not help me "Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Messages Missing Content
I am receivng a couple particular forwarded e-mails in HTML format from folks that are on OL2000 & Word 2000, which when I receive them are missing the content these folks have added to the messages prior to sending (forwarding) them to me. I am on OL2002 & Word 2002. I've read Knowledge Base Article 292865 for OL2002 regarding missing content, but it doesn't seem to apply. I've tried changing from HTML to RTF to plain text, all to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Chuck ...

How can I automatically copy cell contents from one cell into anot
This can't be very hard, but I can't find out the best way to do this, I need to copy the contents of a cell, from one cell, into another cell, in a different sheet on the same workbook. I do not need to copy the formula, what would be the best approach... Its almost like a form fill operation, a label. Select the Sending cell Rightclick on it and choose Copy Select the Receiving cell rightclick on it and choose Paste Special. Then choose Values ==== If that receiving cell is always going to reflect the value in a specific cell (say A1 on Sheet1), you could use a form...

countif, but only using partial cell contents in the reference array #5
thanks for your help max - indeed there are blank cells in the range. the work around will do, but as always, i like stuff to be clean - les chance of screwing things up again, much thanks, jare -- jared ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jaredh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1553 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27105 You're welcome ! Thanks for the feedback Track your post awhile for possible insights from others .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread x...