A question on __declspec(dllimport) and the Windows APIs.

In chapter 19 of Jeff's classic book "Programming Applications for
Microsoft Windows", there is a paragraph as follows:

"What Importing Really Means

The previous section introduced the _ _declspec(dllimport) modifier.
When you import a symbol, you do not have to use the _
_declspec(dllimport) keyword-you can simply use the standard C extern
keyword. However, the compiler can produce slightly more efficient
code if it knows ahead of time that the symbol you are referencing
will be imported from a DLL's .lib file. So I highly recommend that
you use the _ _declspec(dllimport) keyword for imported function and
data symbols. Microsoft does this for you when you call any of the
standard Windows functions."

Note the last statement "Microsoft does this for you when you call any
of the standard Windows functions." I think it is without any support
of facts.

If his statement is true, then the declaration of an API function
(say, API GetWindow(...)) should be like this:

__declspec(dllimport) HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);

However, Microsoft didn't do this. In the winuser.h, I found the
function is declared:

WINUSERAPI HWND WINAPI GetWindow(__in HWND hWnd, __in UINT uCmd);

Which is identical to HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);

Who is wrong???

0
xmllmx (28)
8/8/2007 4:16:30 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:16:30 -0700, xmllmx <xmllmx@gmail.com> wrote:

>In chapter 19 of Jeff's classic book "Programming Applications for
>Microsoft Windows", there is a paragraph as follows:
>
>"What Importing Really Means
>
>The previous section introduced the _ _declspec(dllimport) modifier.
>When you import a symbol, you do not have to use the _
>_declspec(dllimport) keyword-you can simply use the standard C extern
>keyword. However, the compiler can produce slightly more efficient
>code if it knows ahead of time that the symbol you are referencing
>will be imported from a DLL's .lib file. So I highly recommend that
>you use the _ _declspec(dllimport) keyword for imported function and
>data symbols. Microsoft does this for you when you call any of the
>standard Windows functions."
>
>Note the last statement "Microsoft does this for you when you call any
>of the standard Windows functions." I think it is without any support
>of facts.
>
>If his statement is true, then the declaration of an API function
>(say, API GetWindow(...)) should be like this:
>
>__declspec(dllimport) HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>
>However, Microsoft didn't do this. In the winuser.h, I found the
>function is declared:
>
>WINUSERAPI HWND WINAPI GetWindow(__in HWND hWnd, __in UINT uCmd);
>
>Which is identical to HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>
>Who is wrong???

Compile with -P and examine the .i file that is produced. I get:

__declspec(dllimport)
HWND
__stdcall
GetWindow(
         HWND hWnd,
         UINT uCmd);

Rule of thumb: When in doubt, bet on Richter. :)

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP
On Aug 8, 12:35 pm, "Doug Harrison [MVP]" <d...@mvps.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:16:30 -0700, xmllmx <xml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >In chapter 19 of Jeff's classic book "Programming Applications for
> >Microsoft Windows", there is a paragraph as follows:
>
> >"What Importing Really Means
>
> >The previous section introduced the _ _declspec(dllimport) modifier.
> >When you import a symbol, you do not have to use the _
> >_declspec(dllimport) keyword-you can simply use the standard C extern
> >keyword. However, the compiler can produce slightly more efficient
> >code if it knows ahead of time that the symbol you are referencing
> >will be imported from a DLL's .lib file. So I highly recommend that
> >you use the _ _declspec(dllimport) keyword for imported function and
> >data symbols. Microsoft does this for you when you call any of the
> >standard Windows functions."
>
> >Note the last statement "Microsoft does this for you when you call any
> >of the standard Windows functions." I think it is without any support
> >of facts.
>
> >If his statement is true, then the declaration of an API function
> >(say, API GetWindow(...)) should be like this:
>
> >__declspec(dllimport) HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>
> >However, Microsoft didn't do this. In the winuser.h, I found the
> >function is declared:
>
> >WINUSERAPI HWND WINAPI GetWindow(__in HWND hWnd, __in UINT uCmd);
>
> >Which is identical to HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>
> >Who is wrong???
>
> Compile with -P and examine the .i file that is produced. I get:
>
> __declspec(dllimport)
> HWND
> __stdcall
> GetWindow(
>          HWND hWnd,
>          UINT uCmd);
>
> Rule of thumb: When in doubt, bet on Richter. :)
>
> --
> Doug Harrison
> Visual C++ MVP- Hide quoted text -

Hi Doug, thank you very much for telling me such an interesting
feature with the compiler.

But i still don't know how the compiler does this. In other words, how
does the compiler know whether a function is a standard Windows API or
not? Could there been any trick here?

0
xmllmx (28)
8/8/2007 5:34:25 AM
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:34:25 -0700, xmllmx <xmllmx@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >However, Microsoft didn't do this. In the winuser.h, I found the
>> >function is declared:
>>
>> >WINUSERAPI HWND WINAPI GetWindow(__in HWND hWnd, __in UINT uCmd);
>>
>> >Which is identical to HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>>
>> >Who is wrong???
>>
>> Compile with -P and examine the .i file that is produced. I get:
>>
>> __declspec(dllimport)
>> HWND
>> __stdcall
>> GetWindow(
>>          HWND hWnd,
>>          UINT uCmd);
>>
>> Rule of thumb: When in doubt, bet on Richter. :)
>>
>> --
>> Doug Harrison
>> Visual C++ MVP- Hide quoted text -

>Hi Doug, thank you very much for telling me such an interesting
>feature with the compiler.
>
>But i still don't know how the compiler does this. In other words, how
>does the compiler know whether a function is a standard Windows API or
>not? Could there been any trick here?

There's no trick. The replacement of the WINUSERAPI macro is the
__declspec. The __stdcall comes from the WINAPI macro.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:16:30 -0700, xmllmx <xmllmx@gmail.com> wrote:

>In chapter 19 of Jeff's classic book "Programming Applications for
>Microsoft Windows", there is a paragraph as follows:
>
>"What Importing Really Means
>
>The previous section introduced the _ _declspec(dllimport) modifier.
>When you import a symbol, you do not have to use the _
>_declspec(dllimport) keyword-you can simply use the standard C extern
>keyword. However, the compiler can produce slightly more efficient
>code if it knows ahead of time that the symbol you are referencing
>will be imported from a DLL's .lib file. So I highly recommend that
>you use the _ _declspec(dllimport) keyword for imported function and
>data symbols. Microsoft does this for you when you call any of the
>standard Windows functions."
>
>Note the last statement "Microsoft does this for you when you call any
>of the standard Windows functions." I think it is without any support
>of facts.
****
Really?  And what facts are you expecting to need to know?
****

>If his statement is true, then the declaration of an API function
>(say, API GetWindow(...)) should be like this:
>
>__declspec(dllimport) HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>
>However, Microsoft didn't do this. In the winuser.h, I found the
>function is declared:
>
>WINUSERAPI HWND WINAPI GetWindow(__in HWND hWnd, __in UINT uCmd);
>
>Which is identical to HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>
>Who is wrong???
****
I found the definitions

#define WINUSERAPI DECLSPEC_IMPORT
and
#define DECLSPEC_IMPORT __declspec(dllimport)

so it looks to me like Richter is right.  On what do you base your assertion that what you
see is the correct version?  Can you reproduce the experiment that demonstrates your
result?  In particular, did you create the program using the wizards, which create the
correct project settings, or did you just wing it somehow?
					joe
****
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
8/11/2007 6:16:07 PM
On Aug 12, 2:16 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> See below...
>

> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:16:30 -0700, xmllmx <xml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >In chapter 19 of Jeff's classic book "Programming Applications for
> >Microsoft Windows", there is a paragraph as follows:
>
> >"What Importing Really Means
>
> >The previous section introduced the _ _declspec(dllimport) modifier.
> >When you import a symbol, you do not have to use the _
> >_declspec(dllimport) keyword-you can simply use the standard C extern
> >keyword. However, the compiler can produce slightly more efficient
> >code if it knows ahead of time that the symbol you are referencing
> >will be imported from a DLL's .lib file. So I highly recommend that
> >you use the _ _declspec(dllimport) keyword for imported function and
> >data symbols. Microsoft does this for you when you call any of the
> >standard Windows functions."
>
> >Note the last statement "Microsoft does this for you when you call any
> >of the standard Windows functions." I think it is without any support
> >of facts.
>
> ****
> Really?  And what facts are you expecting to need to know?
> ****
>
> >If his statement is true, then the declaration of an API function
> >(say, API GetWindow(...)) should be like this:
>
> >__declspec(dllimport) HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>
> >However, Microsoft didn't do this. In the winuser.h, I found the
> >function is declared:
>
> >WINUSERAPI HWND WINAPI GetWindow(__in HWND hWnd, __in UINT uCmd);
>
> >Which is identical to HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>
> >Who is wrong???
>
> ****
> I found the definitions
>
> #define WINUSERAPI DECLSPEC_IMPORT
> and
> #define DECLSPEC_IMPORT __declspec(dllimport)
>
> so it looks to me like Richter is right.  On what do you base your assertion that what you
> see is the correct version?  Can you reproduce the experiment that demonstrates your
> result?  In particular, did you create the program using the wizards, which create the
> correct project settings, or did you just wing it somehow?
>                                         joe
> ****
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newco...@flounder.com
> Web:http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

To Joseph,

That is because the bug of Visual AssistX, which show me
#define WINUSERAPI
rather than
#define WINUSERAPI DECLSPEC_IMPORT

0
xmllmx (28)
8/11/2007 7:13:31 PM
Which demonstrates that you cannot always trust secondary information.  When you want to
really know what is going on, Trust The Source, Luke.  Anything else is suspect.  Systems
like Source Assist may not be taking #ifdef values into account (it is worth pointing out
that the *second* definition found for WINUSERAPI is indeed an empty body, but due to how
conditional compilation works, the FIRST definition is the one that is used.  So the tool
uses the most recent definition it saw, apparently ignoring the conditional compilation
entirely.

I looked up the definitions in the header files.

from winuser.h, line 22 ff

#if !defined(_USER32_)
#define WINUSERAPI DECLSPEC_IMPORT
#define WINABLEAPI DECLSPEC_IMPORT
#else
#define WINUSERAPI
#define WINABLEAPI
#endif

					joe

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:13:31 -0000, xmllmx <xmllmx@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 12, 2:16 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
>> See below...
>>

>> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:16:30 -0700, xmllmx <xml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >In chapter 19 of Jeff's classic book "Programming Applications for
>> >Microsoft Windows", there is a paragraph as follows:
>>
>> >"What Importing Really Means
>>
>> >The previous section introduced the _ _declspec(dllimport) modifier.
>> >When you import a symbol, you do not have to use the _
>> >_declspec(dllimport) keyword-you can simply use the standard C extern
>> >keyword. However, the compiler can produce slightly more efficient
>> >code if it knows ahead of time that the symbol you are referencing
>> >will be imported from a DLL's .lib file. So I highly recommend that
>> >you use the _ _declspec(dllimport) keyword for imported function and
>> >data symbols. Microsoft does this for you when you call any of the
>> >standard Windows functions."
>>
>> >Note the last statement "Microsoft does this for you when you call any
>> >of the standard Windows functions." I think it is without any support
>> >of facts.
>>
>> ****
>> Really?  And what facts are you expecting to need to know?
>> ****
>>
>> >If his statement is true, then the declaration of an API function
>> >(say, API GetWindow(...)) should be like this:
>>
>> >__declspec(dllimport) HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>>
>> >However, Microsoft didn't do this. In the winuser.h, I found the
>> >function is declared:
>>
>> >WINUSERAPI HWND WINAPI GetWindow(__in HWND hWnd, __in UINT uCmd);
>>
>> >Which is identical to HWND __stdcall GetWindow(HWND hWnd, UINT uCmd);
>>
>> >Who is wrong???
>>
>> ****
>> I found the definitions
>>
>> #define WINUSERAPI DECLSPEC_IMPORT
>> and
>> #define DECLSPEC_IMPORT __declspec(dllimport)
>>
>> so it looks to me like Richter is right.  On what do you base your assertion that what you
>> see is the correct version?  Can you reproduce the experiment that demonstrates your
>> result?  In particular, did you create the program using the wizards, which create the
>> correct project settings, or did you just wing it somehow?
>>                                         joe
>> ****
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newco...@flounder.com
>> Web:http://www.flounder.com
>> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

>To Joseph,
>
>That is because the bug of Visual AssistX, which show me
>#define WINUSERAPI
>rather than
>#define WINUSERAPI DECLSPEC_IMPORT
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

Upgrading to 9.0 on Windows Server 2003 64bit Edition
We are upgrading from 7.0 to 9.0. We have new SQL Servers on which we will perform the upgrade and move into production once complete replacing our existing servers. These SQL Servers are running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition. When attempting to install either GP v7.0 or v7.5 the error message "The image file ...\CDSetup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine." is presented and the installation script will not initialize. Is it possible to install GP 7.0 or 7.5 on the 64bit version of Windows Server 2003 or must we install the 32 bit v...

Exchange question
I currently have Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000. I am getting ready to setup a new box with Exchange 2003 Ent. on Windows Server 2003. Here are my questions: 1) Does my Exchange server have to be in Native mode before I can upgrade? 2) If I change it to Native mode, will I need to reboot my server? 3) Do I need to reboot the server after I run the Forest and Domain Prep? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kit It's been *a while* since I upgraded to Ex2003, but I believe the answers would be: No No No ------------------------ Chris Williams Sirana Software www.sir...

Question about Date validation
Hi All, I'm working on a form for weekly data entry. I'd like to create a date field where the user will enter the date the week ends (ie week ending Friday, June 25th). Is there a way to write code so that Access will check that the day the user inputs is a Friday (and if not they will recieve an error message)?. I know how to program the error message pop-up box, but I have no idea how to write code to check if the date inputted is a Friday. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Use the WeekDay function If WeekDay(Me.DateField) = 6 Then MsgBox "Error" En...

a question about XmlTextReader.ReadBase64()
Hi, I am new to xml, so if I ask something stupid or funny, pls don't laugh. my problem is like this: I have a data structure like this class mydata { byte[] data; }; // I wrote it to xml like this XmlTextureWriter writer; writer.WriteStartElement("MyData"); writer.WriteAttributeString("Length",md.data.Length.ToString()); writer.WriteBase64(md.data,0,md.data.Length); writer.WriteEndElement(); // I want to read it out XmlTextReader reader; while(reader.Read()) { switch(reader.NodeType) { case XmlNodeType.Element: MyData md = new MyData(); while(reader.M...

CRM3.0 Question on Activity
Hello, I am using CRM3.0. I have the following case. 1. Create Campaign 2. Add contact to campaign list 3. Create Campaign activity - Phone call 4. Distribute activity 5. CRM User will make phone call 6. When contact is interest, CRM user will make a "Free Trail" for contact. I am having troble in step 6. So far as I know, I have two choices for "Free Trail". A) Service Activity If I choose to create a service activity, then I can not link up the service activity with the campaign or phone call. B) Appointment If I choose appointment, I can set "regarding"...

Archiving of Windows Live Mail
Can someone please point me to a procedure that will explain how to off load a bunch of emails that I want to keep but do not want in the active WLM folders. Seems like in the Outlook Express days there was a way but I have long since forgot what I did. Help appreciated. You could create a folder(s) on the Desktop and just drag messages into it. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:EB7EFBBB-12DA-4CAF-A02C-556B10A60C58@microsoft.com... > Can someone please poin...

Pvt Table Question
I am creating several pvt tables that will be updated often with new data. I want to know if there is any function within a pvt table that I can use to set up my pvt table so that only the top 10 data points are automatically displayed. So for example, if i have pvt table set up to show brand name and then accounts for each brand name and I sorted on accounts descending and only wanted the pvt table to show the top 10 brands that had the highest total accounts. Is this possible? Thanks. Hi, To show the top 10 values for a field - double-click the field heading, click 'Advanced' ...

Exchange 5.5 in Windows 2000 Domain
HI I am looking for any advise I can get on this subject, or any references you may have. Basically I have an NT4 PDC that currently has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. I have a windows 2000 Database server that is just a member server of hte domain. My NT4 machine is running out of space, so I am getting a new server for exchange. I will install Windows 2000 on this server and then follow the Ed Crowley Server Move method, to move my exchange server over to this new machine. I am comfortable with this. I have just now installed an NT4 BDC into the domain (it is only a very old machine so it ...

Export News from Outlook express and import into windows mail
I only used outlook express for newsgroup so I need to backup and transfer all the messages that I flagged with the glasses icon. I just installed windows mail and it only downloaded the first 1000 messages. I can't see all of my messages because some of them they are old ... maybe 2002 but i need them all in the same place. How can I transfer these messages and the replies to windows mail? Outlook Express as well as other newsreaders only mirror what is on a news server and newsgroups neither import nor export. You can only export the account setting, but not groups or...

Copy and Paste question
I have a macro that copies and pastes a large amount of data. After it has run I get the question: " There is a large amount of information on the clipboard. Do you want to [keep it]?" Could someone please tell me how I can avoid this question being asked as I never wish to keep the data? Many thanks Insert this line after the pasting is done, it will clear the clipboard: Application.CutCopyMode = False hth knut egil "Richard" <rgarwell@jaguar.invalid> skrev i melding news:bpi1ee$cf71@eccws12.dearborn.ford.com... > I have a macro that copies and pastes a l...

Question about frontend backend config
We have two E2K3 boxes, both with E2K3/sp1 running on W2K3/sp1. At first we just had one, but were continually running out of disk space (Ent. vers.), so I re-imaged a system with a great deal more space and installed E2K3/sp1 on it, and moved some, but not all of the mailboxes on it. My plans are to use the old server (svr1) as a FE, then use the new one(svr2) as a BE. I have not checked the FE box on svr1 yet. Also, we have configured OWA to run on svr1, and it worked until I started moving mailboxes. Here are my questions: - I have several Mac clients using Entourage, configured to co...

Formula question 03-03-10
I am trying to complete the following. In s141 i have a drop list with 'yes' and 'no' as possiblities. In x141 i have a drop list with 3 possible choices, .02 , .04 , or .08 g141 is the originating cell p159 is the answer cell. if s141 remains empty or has 'no' chosen from the drop list i need p159 to remain blank, however if 'yes' is in s141 then i need the answer from g141 multiplied by .02 or .04 or .08 (which ever one is chosen from the drop list in x141) to be displayed in p159. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance. Scoob...

How do I restore the cell content window on my toobar?
tools options view ........formula bar -- Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "hutchc" <hutchc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A53F690-97D4-43D6-A458-6AA82B95F575@microsoft.com... > From the View menu, choose Formula Bar hutchc wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Windows XP
I have a windows xp sp3 machine where there free space goes down to a fixed amount after a reset. Let me explain: I boot the machine (a 40GB HD divided in a 36GB and a 4GB partition), The 4GB partition shows only 600MB free, I run CHKDSK /F D: and it fixes the free space to 2 GB, I reset and it goes back to 600. The same situation is for the 36GB partition where it shows 4GB free but if I boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk c: /p it fixes the free space to 18GB but as soon as I reset the free space goes back to 4GB, so the same thing happens if chkdsk runs at boot. Win...

Newb question: How did my Form_.... Access Class Objects get crea
I have an access database that originally was created in office 2003 access. I am not in 2007 Access. When I go into the IDE, I can see, under Microsoft Office Access Class Objects, a set of what appears to be modules named: - Form_form abc - Form_form xyz etc Each of these corresponds to an actual form I have created, and includes subroutines like Private Sub RefreshAssetTable() ImportExcel End Sub Private Sub Command4_Click() ImportExcelAssets End Sub by default. Now, my question: How did this class "modules" (and I know that is the wrong term) get created? I &...

New to Visio-Hyperlink Question
I have created a flowchart in Visio 2000. I put in a hyperlink to another flowchart. When I view my flowchart in full-screen view I click on the hyperlink for the other flowchart and it opens in Actual Size mode w/ all the toolbars open. I would like for it to remain in full-screen mode for the flowchart I open when I click on the hyperlink. Is this possible? Thanks in Advance, Mike ...

How to reduce thickness/width of window borders two "normal" 2 pixels?
On a certain WinXP all borders of all windows are very, very thick/width. Have a look at the following snapshot: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9364/capture20091215121445.png What is the reason resp. how can I reduce it to the "normal" size of (approx. 2 pixels) ? Camille Camille Petersen wrote: > On a certain WinXP all borders of all windows are very, very thick/width. > > Have a look at the following snapshot: > > http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9364/capture20091215121445.png > > What is the reason resp. how can I reduce it to the &...

Launch folder windows in separate processe
The setting as in subject selected under Control Panel -> Folder Options More than one windows explorer open. Each of them opened in other folder. One of them opened for search function. However, if investigating with Task Manager all windows explorer windows lead to the same explorer process (task right click -> Go to process). The list "Processes" of task manager presents only one explorer window. So the setting as mentioned above not really functional. What's the reason? kakii wrote: > > The setting as in subject selected under Control Panel ...

Re: Front-end question
If i have 2 front-end and one crash, the other will function properly? or i must modify something? i must change the server (on clients) where all clients points? "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message news:oihld0ha1q9jacg65p4vjo3g7j2mmo5eq0@4ax.com... > "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote: > > >I don't understand very well, how FE server function.... > >Just download "Using Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003 Front-End > >Servers"but i don't understand how FE and BE comunicate in a multiple server...

Outlook 2002 backup question...please help!
Hi all, I am having a problem with windows which may require me to reformat. I cannot get into outlook (2002) via windows, but I can access files from dos. Can someone please tell me where the data files for outlook 2002 are stored, and which ones I'd need to copy? Thanks in advance for any help. Jim See if this info helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "Jim" <lakerfan426@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OUhIH0oTGHA.4132@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I am having a problem with windows which may require me to reformat. I >...

Simple MFC/C++ development question
I want to develop a simple GUI utiliy using C++/MFC. I mostly develop for Linux using Java/C and I am used to used Sun's JDK and GNU's C compiler running under Linux. My question is where can I get a minimum set tools I need to develop a MFC application. I don't really want an IDE (i.e. VC++6) - what I'm after is a compiler and the header/libraries to link my MFC based utility against. I will use my favourite editor to enter the code. TIA Paul. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I want to develop a simple GUI utiliy using C++/MFC. > > I mostly d...

Outlook 2002 questions
Hello, on starting Outlook 2002, I would like Outlook to automatically dial a connection, and send/receive immediately - but I would prefer it not to perform a background send/receive every x minutes. Is it possible to do all this? Thanks Mr Shed Mister Shed schrieb am 24.01.2005 14:18: > Hello, on starting Outlook 2002, I would like Outlook to automatically dial > a connection, and send/receive immediately - but I would prefer it not to > perform a background send/receive every x minutes. Is it possible to do all > this? Tools | Options | E-Mail-Setup | Send/Receiv...

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
Just a quick question, I am wondering if anyone else is having problems downloading Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. I can download/install it from the Windows Update site but, it will not install using Automatic Updates. This is obviously not a serious problem but, I would like to solve it if possible. Rick Never such a problem here. Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. What anti-virus application or sec...

Date Header and Layout Questions
I have 1 table with headings of: TaskType SiteName StartDate EndDate On a report, I want the header to show every Monday's date going horizontally displaying every Monday from now until 2 years from now. Then I want the Vertical column to be the TaskType. Within the report I want the SiteName to be identified in both the Monday's Date Column and the TaskType Column. For example, 30-Nov-09 (Monday) TaskType-DSR SiteName - DC. The date being on the header, the TaskType on each row and the SiteName cross referenced between them. Does this make any sense? ...