"Application has failed to start..." error message with VS2005 on new machine

VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine

Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all the
settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get an
error message

"The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration
is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
with VStudio)

the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK

Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?

Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated

Phil

0
mfc721 (17)
7/29/2008 9:17:08 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Maybe it is a manifest problem?
Do you do dynamic link with MFC and CRT?

I would suggest you to try to static-link with MFC and CRT, maybe that would
solve your problem.

Giovanni

"philip" <mfc@oakleafsoftware.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
> VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>
> Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all
> the settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get
> an error message
>
> "The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration
> is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
>
> Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
> with VStudio)
>
> the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>
> Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>
> Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated
>
> Phil

0
Giovanni
7/29/2008 9:26:39 PM
BTW: if you do dynamic linking with MFC/CRT, I would suggest you to read
Jochen Kalmbach's blog post about manifests and local DLL deployment:

Howto: Deploy VC2008 apps without installing vcredist_x86.exe
http://blog.kalmbach-software.de/2008/05/03/howto-deploy-vc2008-apps-without-installing-vcredist_x86exe/

HTH,
Giovanni

"philip" <mfc@oakleafsoftware.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
> VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>
> Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all
> the settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get
> an error message
>
> "The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration
> is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
>
> Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
> with VStudio)
>
> the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>
> Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>
> Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated
>
> Phil

0
Giovanni
7/29/2008 9:29:52 PM
The primary role of this message is to prevent your customers from ever getting effective
tech support for your product; secondarily, it is to protect my 88-year-old mother from
seeing information she might not understand.  What it means is "something is screwed up,
and even though we know exactly what failed, we're not going to tell you because that
might be useful information, and if you knew it, you might be able to fix the problem, and
we wouldn't want THAT to happen."

The fact that it is not consistent is disturbing.  I hope someone from MS reads these
posts and begins to get a sense that we do NOT want to be protected from knowing critical
information!

Unfortunately, other that putting up this message that I hope MS reads, I have no idea how
to tackle this when it is not consistent.  Usually it means a critical DLL is missing
(they know which one, but they won't tell you!)  Another victory for the incompetents who
design these crappy interfaces to make our lives miserable.

					joe
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:17:08 +0100, "philip" <mfc@oakleafsoftware.co.uk> wrote:

>VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>
>Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all the
>settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get an
>error message
>
>"The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration
>is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
>
>Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
>with VStudio)
>
>the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>
>Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>
>Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated
>
>Phil
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
7/29/2008 9:31:39 PM
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> The primary role of this message is to prevent your customers from ever
> getting effective
> tech support for your product; secondarily, it is to protect my
> 88-year-old mother from
> seeing information she might not understand.  What it means is "something
> is screwed up,
> and even though we know exactly what failed, we're not going to tell you
> because that
> might be useful information, and if you knew it, you might be able to fix
> the problem, and
> we wouldn't want THAT to happen."

Joe: you are great! :)

Giovanni

0
Giovanni
7/29/2008 9:35:50 PM
Joseph

nice to hear from you again

frankly if you don't know what it means then I don't have a hope

Phil Cunningham

> The primary role of this message is to prevent your customers from ever
> getting effective
> tech support for your product; secondarily, it is to protect my
> 88-year-old mother from
> seeing information she might not understand.  What it means is "something
> is screwed up,
> and even though we know exactly what failed, we're not going to tell you
> because that
> might be useful information, and if you knew it, you might be able to fix
> the problem, and
> we wouldn't want THAT to happen."
>
> The fact that it is not consistent is disturbing.  I hope someone from MS
> reads these
> posts and begins to get a sense that we do NOT want to be protected from
> knowing critical
> information!
>
> Unfortunately, other that putting up this message that I hope MS reads, I
> have no idea how
> to tackle this when it is not consistent.  Usually it means a critical DLL
> is missing
> (they know which one, but they won't tell you!)  Another victory for the
> incompetents who
> design these crappy interfaces to make our lives miserable.
>
> joe
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:17:08 +0100, "philip" <mfc@oakleafsoftware.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>>
>>Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all
>>the
>>settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get an
>>error message
>>
>>"The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration
>>is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
>>
>>Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
>>with VStudio)
>>
>>the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>>
>>Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>>
>>Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated
>>
>>Phil
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

mfc721 (17)
7/29/2008 9:47:27 PM
philip wrote:
> VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>
> Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all
> the settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get
> an error message
>
> "The application has failed to start becuase the application
> configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
> problem"
>
> Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am
> working with VStudio)
>
> the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>
> Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>
> Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated

Phil:

Are you sure both machines have the same version *and* service pack of Visual
Studio?

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP

Tom

"philip" <mfc@oakleafsoftware.co.uk> wrote in message
> VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>
> Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all
> the settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get
> an error message
>
> "The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration
> is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
>
> Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
> with VStudio)
>
> the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>
> Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>
> Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated
>
> Phil

0
tom.nospam (3240)
7/30/2008 12:02:20 AM
Joe, this message is kind of generic, but hopefully customers never see it
(assuming programmers actually run the build before they release it).  When
I've seen this message I typically recompile all of the supporting DLLs for
my project and it's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the manifest idea or
of using DLLs whenever I can get away from them.

Tom

> The primary role of this message is to prevent your customers from ever
> getting effective
> tech support for your product; secondarily, it is to protect my
> 88-year-old mother from
> seeing information she might not understand.  What it means is "something
> is screwed up,
> and even though we know exactly what failed, we're not going to tell you
> because that
> might be useful information, and if you knew it, you might be able to fix
> the problem, and
> we wouldn't want THAT to happen."
>
> The fact that it is not consistent is disturbing.  I hope someone from MS
> reads these
> posts and begins to get a sense that we do NOT want to be protected from
> knowing critical
> information!
>
> Unfortunately, other that putting up this message that I hope MS reads, I
> have no idea how
> to tackle this when it is not consistent.  Usually it means a critical DLL
> is missing
> (they know which one, but they won't tell you!)  Another victory for the
> incompetents who
> design these crappy interfaces to make our lives miserable.
>
> joe
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:17:08 +0100, "philip" <mfc@oakleafsoftware.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>>
>>Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all
>>the
>>settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get an
>>error message
>>
>>"The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration
>>is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
>>
>>Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
>>with VStudio)
>>
>>the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>>
>>Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>>
>>Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated
>>
>>Phil
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tom.nospam (3240)
7/30/2008 12:04:40 AM
Key here is that the "generic" message should have a button that says "Show details", and
that would reveal, for example, what DLL was missing, or whatever caused the problem.  It
is well-known at the point where the error occurred exactly what error occurred; for
example, if a DLL were missing, it used to say which DLL it couldn't load!  Or if there is
a syntax error in the manifest (which, of course, we should all be able to avoid because
of the clear and unambiguous documentation on manifests which is so extensive).

This is really another example of the sick mindset that, when I pull up help, advises me
to "contact my system administrator".  I'M THE FREAKIN' SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR AND I NEED TO
KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!  But no, documenting what to do, so the system administrator can fix
the problem, is beyond the capability of the twits who write this documentation.
					joe

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:04:40 -0700, "Tom Serface" <tom.nospam@camaswood.com> wrote:

>Joe, this message is kind of generic, but hopefully customers never see it
>(assuming programmers actually run the build before they release it).  When
>I've seen this message I typically recompile all of the supporting DLLs for
>my project and it's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the manifest idea or
>of using DLLs whenever I can get away from them.
>
>Tom

>> The primary role of this message is to prevent your customers from ever
>> getting effective
>> tech support for your product; secondarily, it is to protect my
>> 88-year-old mother from
>> seeing information she might not understand.  What it means is "something
>> is screwed up,
>> and even though we know exactly what failed, we're not going to tell you
>> because that
>> might be useful information, and if you knew it, you might be able to fix
>> the problem, and
>> we wouldn't want THAT to happen."
>>
>> The fact that it is not consistent is disturbing.  I hope someone from MS
>> reads these
>> posts and begins to get a sense that we do NOT want to be protected from
>> knowing critical
>> information!
>>
>> Unfortunately, other that putting up this message that I hope MS reads, I
>> have no idea how
>> to tackle this when it is not consistent.  Usually it means a critical DLL
>> is missing
>> (they know which one, but they won't tell you!)  Another victory for the
>> incompetents who
>> design these crappy interfaces to make our lives miserable.
>>
>> joe
>> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:17:08 +0100, "philip" <mfc@oakleafsoftware.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>>>
>>>Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all
>>>the
>>>settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get an
>>>error message
>>>
>>>"The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration
>>>is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
>>>
>>>Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
>>>with VStudio)
>>>
>>>the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>>>
>>>Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>>>
>>>Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated
>>>
>>>Phil
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
7/30/2008 12:52:13 AM
That's the answer

My existing machine had SP1 - I've just installed it on the new machine and
mesage no longer appears

many thanks for all the ideas
Phil

"David Wilkinson" <no-reply@effisols.com> wrote in message
> philip wrote:
>> VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine
>>
>> Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all
>> the settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get
>> an error message
>>
>> "The application has failed to start becuase the application
>> configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
>> problem"
>>
>> Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working
>> with VStudio)
>>
>> the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK
>>
>> Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missing?
>>
>> Many thanks and all suggestions much appreciated
>
> Phil:
>
> Are you sure both machines have the same version *and* service pack of
> Visual Studio?
>
> --
> David Wilkinson
> Visual C++ MVP

0
mfc721 (17)
7/30/2008 11:59:36 AM
Can't argue with that... much :o)

Tom

> Key here is that the "generic" message should have a button that says
> "Show details", and
> that would reveal, for example, what DLL was missing, or whatever caused
> the problem.  It
> is well-known at the point where the error occurred exactly what error
> occurred; for
> example, if a DLL were missing, it used to say which DLL it couldn't load!
> Or if there is
> a syntax error in the manifest (which, of course, we should all be able to
> avoid because
> of the clear and unambiguous documentation on manifests which is so
> extensive).
>
> This is really another example of the sick mindset that, when I pull up
> help, advises me
> to "contact my system administrator".  I'M THE FREAKIN' SYSTEM
> ADMINISTRATOR AND I NEED TO
> KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!  But no, documenting what to do, so the system
> administrator can fix
> the problem, is beyond the capability of the twits who write this
> documentation.
> joe

0
tom.nospam (3240)