Your account does not have access to the forums system.

Well, that certainly didn't take long.

I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.

Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.

http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif

Example...
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c

Go figure...  <LOL>

0
Karl

Karl E. Peterson formulated on Thursday :
> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>
> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>
> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>
> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif
>
> Example...
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c
>
> Go figure...  <LOL>

Actually, it was this post that gave me the idea:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/1380bbe7-1a63-4471-93e6-678191bf3586/#3af62191-28b9-4a29-9d4e-e58b5b60df1c

So all I was doing, the way I saw things, was following accepted
practice.  Anyone disagree?  <innocent eyeroll>

0
Karl
6/10/2010 8:35:11 PM
Karl E. Peterson wrote on 6/10/2010 :
> Karl E. Peterson formulated on Thursday :
>> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>>
>> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>>
>> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>>
>> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif
>>
>> Example...
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c
>>
>> Go figure...  <LOL>
>
> Actually, it was this post that gave me the idea:
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/1380bbe7-1a63-4471-93e6-678191bf3586/#3af62191-28b9-4a29-9d4e-e58b5b60df1c
>
> So all I was doing, the way I saw things, was following accepted practice.
> Anyone disagree?  <innocent eyeroll>

Why would a user be banned from the Forums?
A user may be banned from Forums for using abusive language in posts,
display names, using an abusive avatar, or spamming, among other
undesirable activities. Each case is considered carefully and a user is
generally banned only if there is no other recourse, or the abusive
action is repeated and blatant.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help#197

Huh.  Well, I'm not sure how any of that applies...

0
Karl
6/10/2010 8:43:06 PM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> skrev i meddelelsen
> Karl E. Peterson formulated on Thursday :
>> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>>
>> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>>
>> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>>
>> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif
>>
>> Example...
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c
>>
>> Go figure...  <LOL>
>
> Actually, it was this post that gave me the idea:
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/1380bbe7-1a63-4471-93e6-678191bf3586/#3af62191-28b9-4a29-9d4e-e58b5b60df1c
>
> So all I was doing, the way I saw things, was following accepted practice.
> Anyone disagree?  <innocent eyeroll>

 Those moderators are young people --  the others too.
It's not only on forums and internet one meets arrogance to an
extend of sickness. In this country where I live, it's dangerous walking
on the pavement. Where speed-limits are 30 miles/hour, they come racing at
80 miles/hour. Even in winter with ice/snow cover. While servicing their
mobile behind the wheel. It's not a few - it's all.
But, welcome on board, Carl.
Same happend for me on social.expression. Doesn't matter in my case at all.
But serious for the vb petition.
Did you ever visit the "virtual pc guy". Were there and read some of his
answers. One goes like this.:
Sorry, I can't answer you question or help you, as you have showned
profanity. He had posted a script to drive the disc-drive. A visitor was a
bit -just a little bit - flamish that no comment followed on installing
the script.
A typical MSFT I concluded.
/se

/se

0
senn
6/10/2010 9:35:45 PM
Karl E. Peterson pretended :
> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>
> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>
> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>
> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/3f138181-28a6-4916-9d7d-e7023a899479

0
Karl
6/10/2010 10:47:38 PM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
> Karl E. Peterson pretended :
>> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>>
>> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>>
>> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>>
>> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif

> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/3f138181-28a6-4916-9d7d-e7023a899479

At the top of that page is another reason to dislike forums...

The Forums, Profile, and Search sites will be undergoing system maintenance
on June 10, 2010 from 3:00PM to 6:00PM (PDT). During this time, you may see
occasional errors, point updates and alerts may be delayed. We thank you for
your patience.

Equal to: Sorry but we have to suspend NNTP for system maintenance...

/Henning

0
Henning
6/10/2010 11:09:40 PM
Henning pretended :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
>> Karl E. Peterson pretended :
>>> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>>>
>>> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>>>
>>> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>>>
>>> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif

>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/3f138181-28a6-4916-9d7d-e7023a899479
>>

> At the top of that page is another reason to dislike forums...
>
> The Forums, Profile, and Search sites will be undergoing system maintenance
> on June 10, 2010 from 3:00PM to 6:00PM (PDT). During this time, you may see
> occasional errors, point updates and alerts may be delayed. We thank you for
> your patience.
>
> Equal to: Sorry but we have to suspend NNTP for system maintenance...

Yeah, that made me chuckle, too.  I honestly don't see why folks put up
with it.

0
Karl
6/10/2010 11:44:11 PM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
: Well, that certainly didn't take long.
:
: I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.

You knew that was going to happen eventually.  You can only point out the
flaws of the host for so long before they nazi you out of there.

: Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
:
: http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif

OMFG!!!  I am *SO* sorry I missed that.  Classic.

: Example...
:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c
:

The banner I see on your sig via that link is the VBA7 banner.  :\

On your behalf, I replied:

And so your quest for dingleballs has started.  So sad.  Has it really come
down to demanding someone else do such a thing for additional dingleballs
underneath you?
Methinks you have not earned enough balls to ask for such a favour.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk!  Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

on 6/10/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>>
>> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>
> You knew that was going to happen eventually.  You can only point out the
> flaws of the host for so long before they nazi you out of there.

Yeah, but I hate it when the line snaps before I even get a good look
at what fish took the bait. <bg>

>> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>>
>> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif
>
> OMFG!!!  I am *SO* sorry I missed that.  Classic.

Couldn't resist.  :-)

>> Example...
>>
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c
>
> The banner I see on your sig via that link is the VBA7 banner.  :\

Yeah, I've started a few new threads of the "I've been banned!"
variety, so I had to give a little more line in order to have hopes of
setting another hook.

Oh, and guess what?  There *are* highly active French and Spanish VB6
forums on that server!  It's just the English speaking customers
they're telling to GO POUND SAND!

Here's a VB6 forum in French:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/vb6fr/threads

Here's a VB5/6 forum in Spanish:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/es-ES/vb56es/threads

0
Karl
6/11/2010 12:41:00 AM
C. Kevin Provance wrote on 6/10/2010 :
> On your behalf, I replied:
>
> And so your quest for dingleballs has started.  So sad.  Has it really come
> down to demanding someone else do such a thing for additional dingleballs
> underneath you?
> Methinks you have not earned enough balls to ask for such a favour.

Well, c'mon man, it /was/ mockery, eh?

But hey, a guy really needs a nice pair, dontcha think?  That single
dangler just didn't do much for me, and I was so close! <vbg>

0
Karl
6/11/2010 12:42:44 AM
Karl E. Peterson formulated on Thursday :
> C. Kevin Provance wrote on 6/10/2010 :
>> On your behalf, I replied:
>>
>> And so your quest for dingleballs has started.  So sad.  Has it really come
>> down to demanding someone else do such a thing for additional dingleballs
>> underneath you?
>> Methinks you have not earned enough balls to ask for such a favour.
>
> Well, c'mon man, it /was/ mockery, eh?
>
> But hey, a guy really needs a nice pair, dontcha think?  That single dangler
> just didn't do much for me, and I was so close! <vbg>

LOL!  Ohhhhkay, I see what you meant, now.  Know what?  That guy is
apparently free to ask for dingleball votes.  As are others.  That's my
justification for the banner that rotated through, as I see it.  Hell,
more than my justification, that was my inspiration!
Bwaaahaahahahahaaaa...

Btw, as you'll see, just because they "banned" my account, does not
mean I lost access. <g>

0
Karl
6/11/2010 12:47:36 AM
: LOL!  Ohhhhkay, I see what you meant, now.  Know what?  That guy is
: apparently free to ask for dingleball votes.  As are others.  That's my
: justification for the banner that rotated through, as I see it.  Hell,
: more than my justification, that was my inspiration!
: Bwaaahaahahahahaaaa...

: Btw, as you'll see, just because they "banned" my account, does not
: mean I lost access. <g>

I suppose it depends on the design of their system.  With MediaWiki (what
most reputable wikis use), one can be banned either by username and/or IP.
If MSFT decied to ban your IP, you'll need to get creative.  I have
suggestions for you if it comes to that.  If it's good enough to circumvent
wikis and irc, it should be good enough for MSFT's excuse for a forum.  <eg>

--

C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> LOL!  Ohhhhkay, I see what you meant, now.  Know what?  That guy is
>> apparently free to ask for dingleball votes.  As are others.  That's my
>> justification for the banner that rotated through, as I see it.  Hell,
>> more than my justification, that was my inspiration!
>> Bwaaahaahahahahaaaa...
>
>> Btw, as you'll see, just because they "banned" my account, does not
>> mean I lost access. <g>
>
> I suppose it depends on the design of their system.  With MediaWiki (what
> most reputable wikis use), one can be banned either by username and/or IP.
> If MSFT decied to ban your IP, you'll need to get creative.  I have
> suggestions for you if it comes to that.  If it's good enough to circumvent
> wikis and irc, it should be good enough for MSFT's excuse for a forum.  <eg>

They use pissport. <g>  And, they couldn't ban my IP without banning
lots and lots of other customers, either.  I think I'm covered, for now
at least.  But ya just never know, I suppose.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/11/2010 1:10:38 AM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote

> Why would a user be banned from the Forums?
> A user may be banned from Forums for using abusive language in posts,
> display names, using an abusive avatar, or spamming, among other
> undesirable activities. Each case is considered carefully and a user is
> generally banned only if there is no other recourse, or the abusive
> action is repeated and blatant.
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help#197
>
> Huh.  Well, I'm not sure how any of that applies...

C'mon Karl...

You're not anything if not blatant!

<g>
LFS

0
Larry
6/11/2010 1:27:06 AM
Larry Serflaten explained :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote
>
>> Why would a user be banned from the Forums?
>> A user may be banned from Forums for using abusive language in posts,
>> display names, using an abusive avatar, or spamming, among other
>> undesirable activities. Each case is considered carefully and a user is
>> generally banned only if there is no other recourse, or the abusive
>> action is repeated and blatant.
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help#197
>>
>> Huh.  Well, I'm not sure how any of that applies...
>

> C'mon Karl...
>
> You're not anything if not blatant!
>
> <g>
> LFS

I just wanted another dingleball...  <sniff>

0
Karl
6/11/2010 1:31:10 AM
Hi Karl,

Karl E. Peterson schrieb:

> Oh, and guess what?  There *are* highly active French and Spanish VB6
> forums on that server!  It's just the English speaking customers they're
> telling to GO POUND SAND!
>
> Here's a VB6 forum in French:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/vb6fr/threads
>
> Here's a VB5/6 forum in Spanish:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/es-ES/vb56es/threads

Glad to see you found those. I used the existence of those to plea for a
VB6 german forum. We have it now, although under the misleading title

"Visual Basic 6.0 - Interoperabilit�t und Upgrade"

named after the english forum

"Visual Basic Interop and Upgrade"

However the chartas differ:

"Diskutieren Sie hier Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6)-Themen oder besprechen Sie,
wie Sie Ihre Anwendung von VB6 zu VB.NET migrieren k�nnen."

roughly translated to

"Discuss Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6)-themes or discuss how to migrate your
application from VB6 to VB.NET".

In opposite the english forum charta:

"Discuss how to do upgrades of VB6 code to VB.NET. Covers questions on
interop features, Interop Forms Toolkit, Upgrade wizard, but NOT for
questions about VB6."

See the difference?

Ongoing efforts try to switch at least forum naming.

German VB6 forum link:

<http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/vbklassikde/threads>

Note the vbklassikde part :-)

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/
MS Newsgruppen Alternativen -> http://www.prosource.de/ms-ng-umzug.html
0
Ulrich
6/11/2010 1:35:30 AM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote

> >> Here's a VB6 forum in French:
> >> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/vb6fr/threads
> >>
> >> Here's a VB5/6 forum in Spanish:
> >> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/es-ES/vb56es/threads
> >
> > Those miserable bastards.  They would have to start giving MVPs for classic
> > VB, wouldn't they?  And they don't want to do that.
>
> Tell it to the horse: steveb@microsoft.com  :-)

I would send off an email if I thought I might actually use an english
forum.  But adding a similar forum for english speakers just isn't
a remedy for the mess they've created....

LFS

0
Larry
6/11/2010 1:38:15 AM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
: > C'mon Karl...
: >
: > You're not anything if not blatant!
: >
: > <g>
: > LFS
:
: I just wanted another dingleball...  <sniff>

I sympathize.  Every man is entitled to a pair of dingleballs.

--

Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
>> Here's a VB6 forum in French:
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/vb6fr/threads
>>
>> Here's a VB5/6 forum in Spanish:
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/es-ES/vb56es/threads
>
> Glad to see you found those.

I was too.  It helped me shame a few folks in Redmond who told me there
wouldn't be any VB6 forums at all.  I could say, "See, they lied to
you, too!"

> I used the existence of those to plea for a VB6
> german forum. We have it now, although under the misleading title
>
> "Visual Basic 6.0 - Interoperabilit�t und Upgrade"
>
> named after the english forum
>
> "Visual Basic Interop and Upgrade"

Interesting!

> However the chartas differ:
>
> "Diskutieren Sie hier Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6)-Themen oder besprechen Sie, wie
> Sie Ihre Anwendung von VB6 zu VB.NET migrieren k�nnen."
>
> roughly translated to
>
> "Discuss Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6)-themes or discuss how to migrate your
> application from VB6 to VB.NET".
>
> In opposite the english forum charta:
>
> "Discuss how to do upgrades of VB6 code to VB.NET. Covers questions on
> interop features, Interop Forms Toolkit, Upgrade wizard, but NOT for
> questions about VB6."
>
> See the difference?

Oh yeah!  Big effin difference!

> Ongoing efforts try to switch at least forum naming.
>
> German VB6 forum link:
>
> <http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/vbklassikde/threads>
>
> Note the vbklassikde part :-)

I like that.  I like that A LOT!  :-D

Thanks...   Karl

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/11/2010 1:52:05 AM
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> C'mon Karl...
>>>
>>> You're not anything if not blatant!
>>>
>>> <g>
>>> LFS
>>
>> I just wanted another dingleball...  <sniff>
>
> I sympathize.  Every man is entitled to a pair of dingleballs.

Truer words...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/11/2010 2:14:53 AM
Larry Serflaten wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote

>>> Those miserable bastards.  They would have to start giving MVPs for classic
>>> VB, wouldn't they?  And they don't want to do that.
>>
>> Tell it to the horse: steveb@microsoft.com  :-)
>
> I would send off an email if I thought I might actually use an english
> forum.  But adding a similar forum for english speakers just isn't
> a remedy for the mess they've created....

Oh, I agree with that.  It'd take away some of the "outlaw" aspect,
too.  What fun would that be?

The more I play in the forums, the more I'm convinced I'll be here on
usenet until it really is shot and killed for good.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/11/2010 2:16:34 AM
Larry Serflaten wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote

>>> Those miserable bastards.  They would have to start giving MVPs for classic
>>> VB, wouldn't they?  And they don't want to do that.
>>
>> Tell it to the horse: steveb@microsoft.com  :-)
>
> I would send off an email if I thought I might actually use an english
> forum.  But adding a similar forum for english speakers just isn't
> a remedy for the mess they've created....

Oh, I agree with that.  It'd take away some of the "outlaw" aspect,
too.  What fun would that be?

The more I play in the forums, the more I'm convinced I'll be here on
usenet until it really is shot and killed for good.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/11/2010 2:20:07 AM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
: > Note the vbklassikde part :-)
:
: I like that.  I like that A LOT!  :-D
:

If memory serves, wasn't it you who coined the "VB Classic" term?  I think
MSFT owes you some royalties on that, if so.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk!  Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

Ulrich Korndoerfer laid this down on his screen :
> Hi,
>
> C. Kevin Provance schrieb:
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> : Oh, and guess what?  There *are* highly active French and Spanish VB6
>> : forums on that server!  It's just the English speaking customers
>> : they're telling to GO POUND SAND!
>> :
>> : Here's a VB6 forum in French:
>> : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/vb6fr/threads
>> :
>> : Here's a VB5/6 forum in Spanish:
>> : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/es-ES/vb56es/threads
>>

>> Whoa, whoa...hold on.  MSFT setup up VB6 forums, specifically for the frogs
>> and the mexis?  But refuse to give the country of their fucking origin a
>> proper VB6 forum?  WTF is up with that?  Is there some political motive
>> behind that decision?
>
> Perhaps because those frogs and mexis asked? Germans have a VB6 forum too.
> May be because those german nazis still are alive?

http://www.funnyforumpics.com//forums/WTF/1/WTF-Army_radio.jpg  <gd&r>

To be fair, a few English speaking folks have asked, as well.

0
Karl
6/11/2010 2:25:06 AM
C. Kevin Provance wrote on 6/10/2010 :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Note the vbklassikde part :-)
>>
>> I like that.  I like that A LOT!  :-D
>>

> If memory serves, wasn't it you who coined the "VB Classic" term?  I think
> MSFT owes you some royalties on that, if so.

I'm holding out for their offer on www.classicvb.net  ;-)

0
Karl
6/11/2010 2:25:39 AM
:
: I'm holding out for their offer on www.classicvb.net  ;-)
:

Is that to say, they have made a previous offer, which would have been a
lowball offer?  If so, I wonder why they want that URL so bad?  When I
registered aoladdons.com, AOL's lawyers threatened me in all kinds of ways
to relinquish the domain, only offering me what I paid to register it for
the three years I had left on it.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk!  Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

"Ulrich Korndoerfer" <ulrich_wants_nospam@prosource.de> wrote in message
:
: Ok, I am reacting quite allergic on discrimination, although I try *not*
: to be political correct :-).
:
: On the other side, may be that for americans frogs and mexis are just
: funny names. We germans have some too ;-) But at least a spanish ng is
: for spanish (nationwise) people, not for spanish speaking people.

::sigh::

I'm not discriminating.  If I had been, I would have used a much more
unpolitically correct terms for both folks.  For the record, I am a French
(Provance, duh!), German, British mutt.  So I break balls on my own hertiage
when I can.  I pick on Americans just the same (you know, the yanks) as I am
far more British in my mannerism than anything else.

Put another way, I pick on everyone, regardless of race, gender,
nationality, sex, etc,etc.  After putting up with by rants for all these
years, you should know that by now.  <g>

The only folks I truly despise, besides the .Nxt evangelists are the
numbwits who use stupid nicknames on Usenet, instead of their real identity.
There is *no* reason for that except to hide...and most only do that to be
anonymous cowards.  And so that segues back to "eternal september".  F'ing
AOL.

--

C. Kevin Provance schrieb:
> "Ulrich Korndoerfer" <ulrich_wants_nospam@prosource.de> wrote in message
> :
> : Ok, I am reacting quite allergic on discrimination, although I try *not*
> : to be political correct :-).
> :
> : On the other side, may be that for americans frogs and mexis are just
> : funny names. We germans have some too ;-) But at least a spanish ng is
> : for spanish (nationwise) people, not for spanish speaking people.
>
> ::sigh::
>
> I'm not discriminating.  If I had been, I would have used a much more
> unpolitically correct terms for both folks.  For the record, I am a French
> (Provance, duh!), German, British mutt.  So I break balls on my own hertiage
> when I can.  I pick on Americans just the same (you know, the yanks) as I am
> far more British in my mannerism than anything else.
>
> Put another way, I pick on everyone, regardless of race, gender,
> nationality, sex, etc,etc.  After putting up with by rants for all these
> years, you should know that by now.  <g>
>
> The only folks I truly despise, besides the .Nxt evangelists are the
> numbwits who use stupid nicknames on Usenet, instead of their real identity.
> There is *no* reason for that except to hide...and most only do that to be
> anonymous cowards.  And so that segues back to "eternal september".  F'ing
> AOL.

Thanks for your clarification (or justification?). I am not a native
english speaker.

Your rants did not reveal your background. They are sometimes annoying,
generating noise (IMHO) in this NG. Although others do so too. :-)

I appreciate your answer, especially because you took it for granted
(::sigh::), that everyone here knows you in depth :-)

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/
MS Newsgruppen Alternativen -> http://www.prosource.de/ms-ng-umzug.html
0
Ulrich
6/11/2010 3:19:39 AM
Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in

> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>
> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>
> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so
> well.
>
> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif
>
> Example...
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thre
> ad/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-
> b034-1ed658d6e87c
>
> Go figure...  <LOL>

Is that the forum recommended for 'VB' users ?

So there's no distinction made between VBc and VB.xxx ?

How lame. (And again....no hierarchy so I don't know who
replying to whom.)
0
DanS
6/11/2010 11:36:18 AM
"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote

> If memory serves, wasn't it you who coined the "VB Classic" term?  I think
> MSFT owes you some royalties on that, if so.

The way I remember it was that I was the first to combine those two terms
back in the OffRamp in the DevX newsgroups.  Then a while later some guy
came around and said he was the first to use it but the dated posts showed
he wasn't first in the forums.

That was so many years ago now, and as far as I know, the OffRamp was
never archived, so its impossible to prove one way or another....

LFS

0
Larry
6/11/2010 11:58:49 AM
Ulrich Korndoerfer was thinking very hard :
>>> May be because those german nazis still are alive?
>>
>> http://www.funnyforumpics.com//forums/WTF/1/WTF-Army_radio.jpg  <gd&r>
>
> WTF: is that the point?

Heh, yeah, sorry about that.  I needed to find a fairly inoffensive way
of posting that to the forums, and saw that.  I'd actually just
included it there, came over here, and see you'd posted about the
Nazis, and, well...  Just seemed like some sort of cosmic coincidence.
<g>

> Ok, I am reacting quite allergic on discrimination, although I try *not* to
> be political correct :-).

Point on your side!  :-)

> On the other side, may be that for americans frogs and mexis are just funny
> names. We germans have some too ;-) But at least a spanish ng is for spanish
> (nationwise) people, not for spanish speaking people.

It used to be very common here, back in the days of Archie Bunker, but
not really anymore.  I don't take offense on behalf of others, but I
see no reason to be offensive either. <shrug>

>> To be fair, a few English speaking folks have asked, as well.
>
> Did not doubt that, however it was not made public.

The requests?  Or an actual new group?

0
Karl
6/11/2010 5:13:07 PM
C. Kevin Provance formulated on Thursday :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote...
>>
>> I'm holding out for their offer on www.classicvb.net  ;-)
>
> Is that to say, they have made a previous offer, which would have been a
> lowball offer?  If so, I wonder why they want that URL so bad?

Ah, sorry for that impression, no.  They haven't.  I really doubt they
will.  Not while Ballmer's still there.

> When I
> registered aoladdons.com, AOL's lawyers threatened me in all kinds of ways
> to relinquish the domain, only offering me what I paid to register it for
> the three years I had left on it.

I actually expect to hear from Coke's lawyers before Microsoft's. <g>

0
Karl
6/11/2010 5:15:27 PM
Larry Serflaten used his keyboard to write :
> "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote
>
>> If memory serves, wasn't it you who coined the "VB Classic" term?  I think
>> MSFT owes you some royalties on that, if so.
>
> The way I remember it was that I was the first to combine those two terms
> back in the OffRamp in the DevX newsgroups.  Then a while later some guy
> came around and said he was the first to use it but the dated posts showed
> he wasn't first in the forums.
>
> That was so many years ago now, and as far as I know, the OffRamp was
> never archived, so its impossible to prove one way or another....

I don't honestly recall where I first heard it.  But I certainly liked
it, and have done my best to help propogate it!

0
Karl
6/11/2010 5:18:09 PM
DanS used his keyboard to write :
>> Example...
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c
>>
>> Go figure...  <LOL>
>
> Is that the forum recommended for 'VB' users ?
>
> So there's no distinction made between VBc and VB.xxx ?
>
> How lame. (And again....no hierarchy so I don't know who
> replying to whom.)

Totally lame.  They're backpedalling fast, saying now that they didn't
mean to invite us over there.  And really, the message was supposed to
be "GTFO!"  Too late. <eg>

0
Karl
6/11/2010 5:20:20 PM
Karl E. Peterson schrieb:

>>> To be fair, a few English speaking folks have asked, as well.
>>
>> Did not doubt that, however it was not made public.
>
> The requests?  Or an actual new group?

The request to open up a new VB6 MS forum. In microsoft.public.de.vb
there was a discussion about the missing VB6 forum for germans and
wether there should be made efforts to establish one.

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/
MS Newsgruppen Alternativen -> http://www.prosource.de/ms-ng-umzug.html
0
Ulrich
6/11/2010 5:41:19 PM
Ulrich Korndoerfer explained on 6/11/2010 :

>>> Did not doubt that, however it was not made public.
>>
>> The requests?  Or an actual new group?
>
> The request to open up a new VB6 MS forum. In microsoft.public.de.vb there
> was a discussion about the missing VB6 forum for germans and wether there
> should be made efforts to establish one.

So you think discussing it publicly on the newsgroups mattered?  That's
interesting.  Microsoft has actively avoided this group for years!

0
Karl
6/11/2010 5:49:32 PM

> The request to open up a new VB6 MS forum. In
> microsoft.public.de.vb there was a discussion about
> the missing VB6 forum for germans and wether there
> should be made efforts to establish one.

Actually, as far as Micro$oft is concerned, you're quite fortunate in
Germany. At least when you pay Microsoft's exorbitant prices for a German
copy of Windows it does actually use the German language. Here in England we
are not so fortunate. They rip us off just the same for what they pretend is
an English version of windows, but it is just a lie, they are ripping us off
for no cost whatsoever to themselves, it is all in American!

Mike

0
Mike
6/11/2010 6:21:32 PM
Hi Karl,

Karl E. Peterson schrieb:
> Ulrich Korndoerfer explained on 6/11/2010 :

>>> The requests?  Or an actual new group?
>>
>> The request to open up a new VB6 MS forum. In microsoft.public.de.vb
>> there was a discussion about the missing VB6 forum for germans and
>> wether there should be made efforts to establish one.
>
> So you think discussing it publicly on the newsgroups mattered?  That's
> interesting.  Microsoft has actively avoided this group for years!

I do not believe that it helped much to convince MS to establish a VB6
forum. However it helped to see wether the people in
microsoft.public.de.vb are interested in such a forum.

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/
MS Newsgruppen Alternativen -> http://www.prosource.de/ms-ng-umzug.html
0
Ulrich
6/11/2010 8:19:28 PM
:
: I do not believe that it helped much to convince MS to establish a VB6
: forum. However it helped to see wether the people in
: microsoft.public.de.vb are interested in such a forum.

Does Germany fall under the EU?  If so, MSFT doesn't like to piss those
folks off.  Maybe they give everyone on the other side of the pond special
attention as not to get bitch slapped with more fines?

--

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:15:27 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>C. Kevin Provance formulated on Thursday :
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote...
>>>
>>> I'm holding out for their offer on www.classicvb.net  ;-)
>>
>> Is that to say, they have made a previous offer, which would have been a
>> lowball offer?  If so, I wonder why they want that URL so bad?
>
>Ah, sorry for that impression, no.  They haven't.  I really doubt they
>will.  Not while Ballmer's still there.
>
>> When I
>> registered aoladdons.com, AOL's lawyers threatened me in all kinds of ways
>> to relinquish the domain, only offering me what I paid to register it for
>> the three years I had left on it.
>
>I actually expect to hear from Coke's lawyers before Microsoft's. <g>

To this day I believe Randy Birch would have a pretty good case for
copyright infringement against MS for essentially pirating "vbnet"
(despite the dot that distinguishes the two ID's). All dependent, of
course, on Randy having the financial resources for what would no
doubt prove to be a *very* protracted journey through the legal
system.
Then again, I'm not a lawyer so I could just be full of it!

RW
0
RW
6/11/2010 8:50:12 PM
After serious thinking RW wrote :
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:15:27 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> C. Kevin Provance formulated on Thursday :
>>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote...

>>> Is that to say, they have made a previous offer, which would have been a
>>> lowball offer?  If so, I wonder why they want that URL so bad?
>>
>> Ah, sorry for that impression, no.  They haven't.  I really doubt they
>> will.  Not while Ballmer's still there.
>>
>>> When I
>>> registered aoladdons.com, AOL's lawyers threatened me in all kinds of ways
>>> to relinquish the domain, only offering me what I paid to register it for
>>> the three years I had left on it.
>>
>> I actually expect to hear from Coke's lawyers before Microsoft's. <g>
>>
> To this day I believe Randy Birch would have a pretty good case for
> copyright infringement against MS for essentially pirating "vbnet"
> (despite the dot that distinguishes the two ID's). All dependent, of
> course, on Randy having the financial resources for what would no
> doubt prove to be a *very* protracted journey through the legal
> system.
> Then again, I'm not a lawyer so I could just be full of it!

I'll bet if he wanted to pursue it, there'd be a legal team just
itching to do it on contingency. <g>

0
Karl
6/11/2010 9:34:59 PM
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:34:59 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>After serious thinking RW wrote :
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:15:27 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> C. Kevin Provance formulated on Thursday :

>>> Ah, sorry for that impression, no.  They haven't.  I really doubt they
>>> will.  Not while Ballmer's still there.

>>> I actually expect to hear from Coke's lawyers before Microsoft's. <g>
>>>
>> To this day I believe Randy Birch would have a pretty good case for
>> copyright infringement against MS for essentially pirating "vbnet"
>> (despite the dot that distinguishes the two ID's). All dependent, of
>> course, on Randy having the financial resources for what would no
>> doubt prove to be a *very* protracted journey through the legal
>> system.
>> Then again, I'm not a lawyer so I could just be full of it!
>
>I'll bet if he wanted to pursue it, there'd be a legal team just
>itching to do it on contingency. <g>

True dat! : ^ D
And I'd go "all in" that were the circumstances reversed MS's legal
team long ago would have sent Randy "cease and desist or else"
letters.

RW
0
RW
6/13/2010 4:19:14 PM
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten@gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote

>> > Those miserable bastards.  They would have to start giving MVPs for
>> > classic
>> > VB, wouldn't they?  And they don't want to do that.
>>
>> Tell it to the horse: steveb@microsoft.com  :-)

Or the ditcher.
Just about the same, except that a horse is an
animal hopefully loved by everybody. That's not the case with
this labourer.
But my question; you posted the address to this ditcher.
Do you expect others to do what you don't want to do yourself ?.
Or *did* you write ?.
/se

> I would send off an email if I thought I might actually use an english
> forum.  But adding a similar forum for english speakers just isn't
> a remedy for the mess they've created....
>
> LFS

0
senn
6/13/2010 5:51:10 PM
senn explained on 6/13/2010 :
> But my question; you posted the address to this ditcher.
> Do you expect others to do what you don't want to do yourself ?.
> Or *did* you write ?.

Steve (and/or his handlers) know me well enough that what I write to
him doesn't carry the day very often.  But I have managed to get him to
change his mind on a few occassions by getting several thousands of his
customers to also write along with me.  :-)

0
Karl
6/14/2010 7:52:46 PM
: Steve (and/or his handlers) know me well enough that what I write to
: him doesn't carry the day very often.  But I have managed to get him to
: change his mind on a few occassions by getting several thousands of his
: customers to also write along with me.  :-)
:

Which we do happily!

--

On 10/06/2010 21:28, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>
> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>
> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>
> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif
>
> Example...
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c
>

> Go figure... <LOL>

 From that post:
>> your question does not belongs here.
>
> Curious, were you elected net nanny?
>
> Or just took it upon yourself?

Isn't that EXACTLY what we do with off topic questions here?
Why can we (non elected regulars) do it in our "domain" but they can't
in theirs?

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
6/17/2010 8:17:51 AM
Dee Earley submitted this idea :
> On 10/06/2010 21:28, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Well, that certainly didn't take long.
>>
>> I've been kicked out of the "social" forums.
>>
>> Apparently, the last banner I rotated too didn't sit so well.
>>
>> http://vb.mvps.org/images/forumbanner3.gif
>>
>> Example...
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e1b94be4-b991-4419-a274-aa3a04e617e3/#edcafc18-bb95-4f7f-b034-1ed658d6e87c
>>

>> Go figure... <LOL>
>
>  From that post:
>>> your question does not belongs here.
>>
>> Curious, were you elected net nanny?
>>
>> Or just took it upon yourself?
>
> Isn't that EXACTLY what we do with off topic questions here?
> Why can we (non elected regulars) do it in our "domain" but they can't in
> theirs?

Just couldn't help myself. <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl

system clipboard
In Excel, when I copy a cell (ctrl C), the cell becomes highlighted by a dancing dotted line. One can paste (ctrl V) multiple times, and the original cell contents remain in the system clipboard, and the original cell remains highlighted. However, when one executes any number of other operations, such as move or format, or save, the clipboard is emptied and the dancing dotted outline dissapears. No other application I've ever used acts this way -- in other applications, the copied data remains in the clipboard until it is replaced. This Excel peculiarity has driven me crazy for year...

comdlg32.ocx and Access 2007
I have several Access databases that were originally written using an Access version prior to Access 2007. I am in the process of converting the databases and installing them on new machines running Win7 and Access 2007. Over the years, one of the References I commonly used was comdlg32.ocx. It does not appear that either Win7 or Access 2007 installs that particular Active X file. I can copy it from an older machine, but that seems like a strange solution. Is comdlg32.ocx a "legacy" Active X file and has it been replaced with a newer (and differently named) Activ...

AOL IMAP account
I have set up AOL email account as IMAP type and keep getting pop up in outlook " your IMAP server wants to alert you the following: Can't read attachment for message 6438. this pops up for many times and each time the number is different. new profile same issue. Office Version:Office 2007 Operating System:Windows Vista / Windows 7 - same issue. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently p...

Inserting Excel into Access Reports

Simple Access counting queries

Expression Too Complex in Access 2000
Hi, Consider the following query: SELECT crTbl.acct_1, crTbl.amount, crTbl.date FROM crTbl WHERE (((crTbl.acct_1)="Supplies") AND ((crTbl.date) Between [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![startDate] And [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![endDate])); The query works fine on my own computer in Access 2002. When converted to Access 2000 and used on an other computer, I get the following error: "This expression is typed incorrectly or is too complex to be evaluated. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables." The problem is with the "Between...

groups detail section totals access 2003
Hi all, I know this can be done, but haven't figured out how yet. I have what basically is a summary report that my sql comes up with for the detail rows. I want to total these rows in the report and display immediately below the detail section. I don't really want to group anything, but want to treat the whole detail section as a group. That being said, how can I get a "group footer" on the designer so I can add my total columns. If I use "sorting and grouping", it starts grouping things and that is not what I want. I don't want to use the "page foo...

Creating Contacts For Accounts Using...

Accounts Payable Unapply should allow Unapply of historical trans.
The Unapply button on the Apply Payables Document is really just an unmark all button. Please rename this button and add the functionality to unapply historical payments, credit memos and returns. I believe this functionality exists for SOP and should be there for AP. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and th...

Issue with Loan Accounts
Hi Everyone, I have been having this issue for a while - but just now trying to figure out what's happening. I have several loans (including car, equity, etc.) which I have set up on Money 7. Sometimes the interest and principle are calculated correctly - but more often, the entire sum of the payment is allocated to principle (as viewed in the account register). I've check to insure that the loan is set up okay - and it looks okay to me. Any ideas what's happening to me? Any help appreciated. Thanks. Patrick Hi, I was really hoping someone would respond to this. My ...

E-mail box sizes. Echange System Manger.
Hi. Now and then I need to find out the size of the various e-mail boxes in Exchange2000. The problem is that the size indicated in the Exchange System Manager do not reflect the same size when you look into Outlook. Is the a way to figure out the correct e-mail size? If not. Is this better in Exchange2003? Thank you in advance. DagN I'd consider the Exchange value to be the most important given this is what will be used for mailbox quotas, etc. Nue "Dag N" <skier@start.no> wrote in message news:OjCaWfjLGHA.2320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi. > Now and then ...

How many accounts...
I have outlook 2003 I already installed my hotmail account on it but I want to add my son's hotmail account on it and each time I do so, outlook freeze. Is this normal ? How many hotmail account can I add in outlook 2003 ? tia ...

Remote access to another company's Outlook calendar?
Hello! I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version not known yet). How can the remote company share this person's calendar with my client? He would need to access it and add appointments to it. Thank you for the help! Gregg Hill On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:24 -0700, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote: >Hello! > >I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an >employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version no...

Scroll horizontaly with mouse, create same system used to scroll .
Hi, I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll button, for horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed, when you work with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down but to scroll from left to right or vice-versa, you have to use the scroll bar or arrows and it's annoying... So, am I a millionnaire yet??? Hi Frederic, > I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll button, for > horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed, when you work > with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down b...

Switching Accounts on Download
To Whom Can Help: MS Money 2007 has started downloading account information into the wrong account--it is swapping it with another account. This happened in a previous version of Money and I don't know how to correct it. In the previous version it was with a Banking account--two savings accounts from the same institution. In this incarnation, it is with two investment accounts--mutual fund versus brokerage account--but from the same institution. Anyone have this happen to them...anyone know of a solution? Thanks for your help. Cheers. In microsoft.public.money, golfbum71 wrote: ...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

Error trying to make an account default
I have a new computer and my outlook 2003 is not letting me assign a default account to send and receive. I get this error: "The Specicied Account could not be found. It might have been deleted." I have four accounnts setup and have tried removing the accounts and recreating them and still get the error. when the account has been made, it tests fine. None of the four can be made default. Thanks in Advance! ...

'Budget Alerts' in Account Register
Budget Alerts in Account Register I've upgraded to 2006 Deluxe from 2003 Deluxe. In 2003, as I entered transactions in my registers (one Visa and one Bank), if the category I was spending money on went over a budget, I got prompted about it. Along with that prompt when I went over, it also had a little bar graph (similiar to the Spending Tracker you can get on the home page in 2006) for *only* that category. This was nice as it allowed me to see amounts as I entered them..and also *annoyingly* prompted me as I went over budgets...again making me 'think' about the spendin...

Access 2007 12-17-09
I am building a contact data base for my church. How do I get the phone field to automatically format like this (xxx) xxx-xxxx when the numbers are typed in the cell? -- Thank You In the form design view select the phone control and open the properties dialog. Goto the Data tab and use the Input Mask to define the format you wish to use. If you click on the ... to the right hand side on the property you will get another dialog where there are predefined input mask or you can define your own. For instance, I use !\(999") "000\-0000;0;_ to format my telepho...