Windows 7 taskbar API problems

Folks

The background is that an Access MDE/ACCDE created by a developer is
not conceptually the same as an Excel spreadsheet or Word document
file created by the user.  My Auto FE Updater utility automatically
downloads any new version created by the developer from the server to
the workstation as well as doing lots of other stuff such as creating
shortcuts on desk tops.   If this was a user created Access database
file which resides in the users My Documents folder, or similar, than
they are conceptually the same as a Word or Excel file.

The problem is if the user right-clicks on the Access icon on the
taskbar when the application is running.  Then they pin the opened MDE
file to the taskbar. When they use the pinned application, it
completely bypasses the StartMDB.exe updating routine.

1)  How can I interrogate the Win7 taskbar to see what is pinned on
the task bar

2) How can I delete a pinned item from the Win 7 taskbar?

3) How can I pin my app to the Win 7 Taskbar?  However that appears to
be not allowed. "Other than these, only the user can pin further
applications; programmatic pinning by an application is not
permitted."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378460(VS.85).aspx

4) Reading various MSDN resource makes me also want to remove the
reference to the Access file from the MRU list.   Given that the user
must use the VB6 exe shortcut we don't even want the user to hit the
MDE directly in any way, shape or fashion.

�I've come across Introducing The Taskbar APIs
 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd942846.aspx
Taskbar Extensions
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378460(VS.85).aspx
But I have no idea how to convert that code in the various links to
VB6 API calls.

Is the following C++ code?

HRESULT RemoveDestination(
  [in]  IUnknown *punk
);

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378415(v=VS.85).aspx

There are very few hits mentioning the Windows 7 task bar in the MS
VB6 newsgroups.

Or does anyone know of any URLs with VB6 API code for working with the
Windows 7 taskbar?   I couldn't see any such but then there was all
the VB.Net stuff I don't care about.

(Hmm, to figure this all out it would appear I'll have to install VB6
IDE into a Win 7 Virtual machine just to figure all this out.    Once
it's working I can go back to my current Win XP host.  Oh well.)

Thanks for reading to the end

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

MSFT doesn't want you messing with the pinning feature.  This is by =
design.  Like hooking the UAC, it can't be done, and this is a good =
thing.  MSFT's reason?  They gave us the Quickmenu bar and every =
developer and their mom abused it, pinning their app there, and every =
conceivable place on the start menu.

Well, no more.

In short, what you want to do cannot be done.  It's left completely up =
to the user what they want there, and that's the way it should be.  Best =
you could do is come up with a manual work around for your situation and =
post the fix instructions on your site.

--=20
2025
If you do not believe in time travel,
your beliefs are about to be tempered.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3D43606237254
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message =
: Folks
:=20
[...]
: Is the following C++ code?
:=20
: HRESULT RemoveDestination(
:  [in]  IUnknown *punk
: );
:=20
: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378415(v=3DVS.85).aspx
:=20
: There are very few hits mentioning the Windows 7 task bar in the MS
: VB6 newsgroups.
:=20
: Or does anyone know of any URLs with VB6 API code for working with the
: Windows 7 taskbar?   I couldn't see any such but then there was all
: the VB.Net stuff I don't care about.
:=20
: (Hmm, to figure this all out it would appear I'll have to install VB6
: IDE into a Win 7 Virtual machine just to figure all this out.    Once
: it's working I can go back to my current Win XP host.  Oh well.)
:=20
: Thanks for reading to the end
:=20
: Tony
: --=20
: Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
: Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
: Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
: For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files=20
:  updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/
: Granite Fleet Manager http://www.granitefleet.com/
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>1)  How can I interrogate the Win7 taskbar to see what is pinned on
>the task bar

Karl,

Hopefully you will have some great material for a few columns.   Even
some starter code to get going with the Win 7 taskbar would be
helpful.  Looks like there's all kinds of power there such as progress
bars in the icons and so forth.  Much of which would be way too subtle
for 99% of the users though. Hehehehe

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
4/30/2010 4:45:48 AM
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote

> The problem is if the user right-clicks on the Access icon on the
> taskbar when the application is running.  Then they pin the opened MDE
> file to the taskbar. When they use the pinned application, it
> completely bypasses the StartMDB.exe updating routine.

Apparently, your StartMDB.exe file does its thing and launches your
other app(s) on exit.  If you don't want the user to launch the app(s)  themselves,
why not have the StartMDB pass a command line switch (encryped if it makes
you feel better) such that the other app(s) post a notice and shutdown if the
switch is not present?

If that is too restrictive, then bounce a command line to StartMDB indicating
what app is requesting to be launched.  The app shuts down after launching
StartMDB, where StartMDB is able to do its thing and re-launch the app.

While it gives the user the appearance of having a pinned shortcut, you still
get your StartMDB called when required....

LFS

0
Larry
4/30/2010 12:01:37 PM
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> 1)  How can I interrogate the Win7 taskbar to see what is pinned on
>> the task bar
>
> Hopefully you will have some great material for a few columns.   Even
> some starter code to get going with the Win 7 taskbar would be
> helpful.  Looks like there's all kinds of power there such as progress
> bars in the icons and so forth.  Much of which would be way too subtle
> for 99% of the users though. Hehehehe

It's an area I've been meaning to dive into, actually.  There's *lots*
of cool features!  The progbars, MRUs, jump lists, or even thumbnail
toolbars (look at Media Player's popup).

The problem is, these "APIs" are really some pretty heavy-duty COM,
which is an area I'm not particularly strong in.  It's going to take
someone who's very well versed in that to define all the type libraries
needed to do this.

Anyway, regarding your original problem, I like what Larry suggested.
You need to setup some sort of signal in your main app as to "who" it
was that launched it.  I actually have some code like that in my
Console module, which might be useful for you too.  Then, if the main
app doesn't find the proper launcher, it could launch the launcher
(which would check on the downloadable updates), which would then
relaunch the main app.  Twisted, but probably workable.

I agree with Kevin that we shouldn't be allowed to alter how the user
has configured the taskbar.  That's actually a really good design, and
I'm (for that reason) very surprised MSFT allowed it.  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
4/30/2010 6:04:32 PM
: The problem is, these "APIs" are really some pretty heavy-duty COM,=20
: which is an area I'm not particularly strong in.  It's going to take=20
: someone who's very well versed in that to define all the type =
libraries=20
: needed to do this.

Yeah, but you know someone who is, more or less.  <eg>

All I've seen so far are .Nxt related libraries, so I havn't looked at =
them, well...at all.  But if you have docs or info related to API or COM =
interfaces, send it this way.  Maybe we can come up with something.
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten@usinternet.com> wrote:

>> The problem is if the user right-clicks on the Access icon on the
>> taskbar when the application is running.  Then they pin the opened MDE
>> file to the taskbar. When they use the pinned application, it
>> completely bypasses the StartMDB.exe updating routine.
>

>Apparently, your StartMDB.exe file does its thing and launches your
>other app(s) on exit.  If you don't want the user to launch the app(s)  themselves,
>why not have the StartMDB pass a command line switch (encryped if it makes
>you feel better) such that the other app(s) post a notice and shutdown if the
>switch is not present?
>
>If that is too restrictive, then bounce a command line to StartMDB indicating
>what app is requesting to be launched.  The app shuts down after launching
>StartMDB, where StartMDB is able to do its thing and re-launch the app.
>
>While it gives the user the appearance of having a pinned shortcut, you still
>get your StartMDB called when required....

I was actually thinking pretty much the same thing last night after I
posted.

I'd have to give the developers some sample code which then can just
import into their app to do all this but that would be pretty easy to
create and test.

Hmm, I'd better double check what gets pinned to the Windows 7
taskbar.  Presumably  just a shortcut to the file located elsewhere on
the users hard drive.

Just not as clean a solution as the StartMDB.exe doing all the
checking and updating.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
4/30/2010 6:53:57 PM
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
>> The problem is, these "APIs" are really some pretty heavy-duty COM,
>> which is an area I'm not particularly strong in.  It's going to take
>> someone who's very well versed in that to define all the type libraries
>> needed to do this.
>
> Yeah, but you know someone who is, more or less.  <eg>
>
> All I've seen so far are .Nxt related libraries, so I havn't looked at them,
> well...at all.  But if you have docs or info related to API or COM
> interfaces, send it this way.  Maybe we can come up with something.

I haven't dug at all yet, either.  I'll start collecting interface
names, and such, as see where we get!  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
4/30/2010 7:02:56 PM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
> C. Kevin Provance wrote:
>>> The problem is, these "APIs" are really some pretty heavy-duty COM,
>>> which is an area I'm not particularly strong in.  It's going to take
>>> someone who's very well versed in that to define all the type libraries
>>> needed to do this.
>>
>> Yeah, but you know someone who is, more or less.  <eg>
>>
>> All I've seen so far are .Nxt related libraries, so I havn't looked at
>> them, well...at all.  But if you have docs or info related to API or COM
>> interfaces, send it this way.  Maybe we can come up with something.
>
> I haven't dug at all yet, either.  I'll start collecting interface names,
> and such, as see where we get!  :-)

Maybe it's not necessary to create a type library. In my XP machine, I can
add a reference to "Microsoft Shell Controls And Automation" which points to
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll". Using Object Browser, I can see COM based
shell classes such as ShellLinkObject which is used to manipulate shortcuts.
There are other classes, perhaps in Windows 7 more are listed.

0
Nobody
4/30/2010 7:13:06 PM
"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:

>MSFT doesn't want you messing with the pinning feature.  This is by design.  Like hooking the UAC, it can't be done, and this is a good thing.  MSFT's reason?  They gave us the Quickmenu bar and every developer and their mom abused it, pinning their app there, and every conceivable place on the start menu.

Do you mean the QuickLaunch bar?  Or the vertical bar when you click
on the Start button in Windows XP?  Or both?  If so yes I've seen both
abused.

>Well, no more.
>
>In short, what you want to do cannot be done.  It's left completely up to the user what they want there, and that's the way it should be.  Best you could do is come up with a manual work around for your situation and post the fix instructions on your site.

<sigh>

Well, I probably do have a work around as Larry has suggested.
Probably a lot less work too but not as clean and tidy.   A bit more
work for the developers using my utility but it could be setup as
simple as importing some code into thier Access app.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
4/30/2010 8:04:30 PM
You can change the file association so your app starts first.

0
Nobody
4/30/2010 8:09:30 PM
Nobody wrote:

>>> Yeah, but you know someone who is, more or less.  <eg>
>>>
>>> All I've seen so far are .Nxt related libraries, so I havn't looked at
>>> them, well...at all.  But if you have docs or info related to API or COM
>>> interfaces, send it this way.  Maybe we can come up with something.
>>
>> I haven't dug at all yet, either.  I'll start collecting interface names,
>> and such, as see where we get!  :-)
>
> Maybe it's not necessary to create a type library. In my XP machine, I can
> add a reference to "Microsoft Shell Controls And Automation" which points to
> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll". Using Object Browser, I can see COM based
> shell classes such as ShellLinkObject which is used to manipulate shortcuts.

Now that's just *really* interesting!  I've always used a typelib to
get at the ShellLink interface.  Without digging in too deeply, does
that avenue let you create new LNK files, or just work with existing
ones?  Has that "always" been there, or is it an XP+ feature?

> There are other classes, perhaps in Windows 7 more are listed.

Actually, it looks like some elements disappeared.  Just doing an
eyeball comparison, the following classes that exist in XP aren't there
in W7:

  IPassportClientServices
  ISearchCommandExt
  SearchCommand
  SearchCommandExecuteErrors

But(!), it does appear the Shell class has quite a few new members in
W7:

  AddToRecent
  CanStopService
  ExplorePolicy
  FindPrinter
  GetSetting
  GetSystemInformation
  IsRestricted
  IsServiceRunning
  ServiceStart
  ServiceStop
  ShellExecute
  ShowBrowserBar
  ToggleDesktop
  WindowsSecurity
  WindowSwitcher

Interesting list!  But I'm not seeing a lot that would get me thinking
we could work with the new taskbar differently here, though.  This
looks like a fairly up-to-date list of what's there:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb773938%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
4/30/2010 8:35:28 PM
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> C. Kevin Provance wrote:
>>> The problem is, these "APIs" are really some pretty heavy-duty COM, which
>>> is an area I'm not particularly strong in.  It's going to take someone
>>> who's very well versed in that to define all the type libraries needed to
>>> do this.
>>
>> Yeah, but you know someone who is, more or less.  <eg>
>>
>> All I've seen so far are .Nxt related libraries, so I havn't looked at
>> them, well...at all.  But if you have docs or info related to API or COM
>> interfaces, send it this way.  Maybe we can come up with something.
>
> I haven't dug at all yet, either.  I'll start collecting interface names, and
> such, as see where we get!  :-)

This would actually be right up there on the "Interesting!" scale...

IApplicationDestinations Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378413(v=VS.85).aspx

IApplicationDocumentLists Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378411(v=VS.85).aspx

ICustomDestinationList Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378402(v=VS.85).aspx

ITaskbarList3 Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd391692(v=VS.85).aspx

ITaskbarList4 Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd562040(v=VS.85).aspx

The ITaskbarList3/4 ones seem like they'd offer the most fun to play
with.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
4/30/2010 9:00:03 PM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote:

>You can change the file association so your app starts first.

Hmm, now there's an interesting idea.  The file association being MDB,
MDE, etc.   So mucking with it could highly irritate some people.

Hmmmm, and if it's a user created MDB file my VB6 exe could just turn
around and start up Access agonist the MDB.

Interesting idea.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
4/30/2010 11:17:15 PM
Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:

>This would actually be right up there on the "Interesting!" scale...

Whoa on a sec here.  I haven't checked those URLs yet but <plaintive,
whining voice>  don't forget about my problem.  Hehehe

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
4/30/2010 11:18:02 PM
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> This would actually be right up there on the "Interesting!" scale...
>
> Whoa on a sec here.  I haven't checked those URLs yet but <plaintive,
> whining voice>  don't forget about my problem.  Hehehe

Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.

So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
huh?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
5/1/2010 1:00:42 AM
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote
> Hmmmm, and if it's a user created MDB file my VB6 exe could just turn
> around and start up Access agonist the MDB.
>
> Interesting idea.

What about the taskbar info?  eg, tasks, jumplist, et al.  If your one
program is associated with many documents, won't they all show the
same MRU as opposed to the different apps that were being pinned....

???
LFS

0
Larry
5/1/2010 1:01:41 AM
Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:

>>> This would actually be right up there on the "Interesting!" scale...
>>
>> Whoa on a sec here.  I haven't checked those URLs yet but <plaintive,
>> whining voice>  don't forget about my problem.  Hehehe
>
>Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>
>
>C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>
>Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>
>So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
>huh?

Holy cr*p.

No, the user or my app won't have admin privileges but still might not
be too hard to work around.

Thanks muchly

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
5/1/2010 2:41:12 AM

-- |
| C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
| Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

  That's interesting. I'd noticed that Quick Launch
shortcuts weren't working in Win7, but I hadn't
bothered to update my installer. (I have a checkbox
to allow for that option.) I wonder if the All Users
version of that path would work as a place
to put a LNK during install?

0
Mayayana
5/1/2010 3:32:03 AM
: Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>
:=20
: C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick =

: Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
:=20
: Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at=20
: your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
:=20
: So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings =
offlimits,=20
: huh?

Based on everything I've read regarding this issue, merely dropping a =
file, lnk or otherwise in that folder will not accomplish the desired =
result.  Apparently, it's only one piece part of a much larger puzzle.  =
Chen posted at some point the exact same thing.  There are APIs that =
deal with the whole "pinning" feature that are under lock and key, =
specifically for the reason MSFT doesn't want abuse of the feature, like =
quicklaunch.

I would have looked into it deeper, but I no longer have a working copy =
of Win7.  <eg>
I would have looked into it deeper, but I no longer have a working copy of
Win7.

  Are you sure? I haven't booted mine lately, but
the RC is supposed to work until sometime in
June. From March to June it boots with a black
Desktop. (You can put a picture there but you
have to redo it at every boot.) It then shuts down
after 2 hours. I just need to occasionally test
software, so 2 hours is plenty of time.

  Maybe if I have a chance I'll test this out. I
agree about the problem of QuickLaunch misuse.
Even Firefox does that, adding icons everywhere,
regardless of what options one selects in setup.
But most people won't know how to add a program
to QuickLaunch any more than they did in Win9x
and XP. What they now call "pinning" has always
been possible, but most people just don't know
those things.

0
Mayayana
5/1/2010 8:17:40 PM
  I just tested this. It doesn't work to put a link
into the folder, but the following works. I tested
the script version in Win7. The only drawback is
that it's only for the current user:

This sample has hardcoded paths, but the basic
idea is to create a LNK file somewhere...anywhere
..... and then pin it programmatically. Set a reference
to the Shell object, then use this code:

Dim SH As Shell
 Dim oFol As Folder
 Dim FolItem As FolderItem
 Dim oVerbs As FolderItemVerbs, oVerb As FolderItemVerb

 Set SH = New Shell
 Set oFol = SH.NameSpace("C:\Program Files\Some Program")
 Set FolItem = oFol.ParseName("someprog.lnk")
 For Each oVerb In FolItem.Verbs
   If Replace(oVerb.Name, "&", "") = "Pin to Taskbar" Then
     oVerb.DoIt
     Exit For
   End If
 Next

 Set FolItem = Nothing
 Set oFol = Nothing
 Set SH = Nothing

0
Mayayana
5/1/2010 9:56:31 PM
"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:

>Based on everything I've read regarding this issue, merely dropping a file, lnk or otherwise in that folder will not accomplish the desired result.  Apparently, it's only one piece part of a much larger puzzle.  Chen posted at some point the exact same thing.  There are APIs that deal with the whole "pinning" feature that are under lock and key, specifically for the reason MSFT doesn't want abuse of the feature, like quicklaunch.

Yeah, but all I really care about is seeing if the shortcut belongs to
a specific named Access file.  if it does then all I want to do is
delete the shortcut and inform the user they're not allowed to pin the
Access file.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
5/2/2010 3:19:35 AM
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten@usinternet.com> wrote:

>> Hmmmm, and if it's a user created MDB file my VB6 exe could just turn
>> around and start up Access agonist the MDB.
>>
>> Interesting idea.
>
>What about the taskbar info?  eg, tasks, jumplist, et al.  If your one
>program is associated with many documents, won't they all show the
>same MRU as opposed to the different apps that were being pinned....

But really when I think about it there is no way I want to hijack a
shortcut like that.  While it might work reasonably well it would
cause great confusion to any IT person who would be looking at things
later.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
5/2/2010 3:20:52 AM
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>
>>
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>
>> Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>> your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>>
>> So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
>> huh?
>
> Based on everything I've read regarding this issue, merely dropping a file,
> lnk or otherwise in that folder will not accomplish the desired result.
> Apparently, it's only one piece part of a much larger puzzle.  Chen posted at
> some point the exact same thing.  There are APIs that deal with the whole
> "pinning" feature that are under lock and key, specifically for the reason
> MSFT doesn't want abuse of the feature, like quicklaunch.

Looks like they left a backdoor. <eg>  I just pinned WinZip to the
taskbar, navigated to that folder, right-click editted the Properties
for the LNK, and changed the target to "notepad.exe" - works great.
Still shows the original icon on the taskbar, too.  Press it, and
Notepad pops up.  I think this would work for Tony's situation.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
5/3/2010 9:30:18 PM
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:

>>> Whoa on a sec here.  I haven't checked those URLs yet but <plaintive,
>>> whining voice>  don't forget about my problem.  Hehehe
>>
>> Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>
>>
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>
>> Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>> your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>>
>> So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
>> huh?
>
> Holy cr*p.

Hey, it's MSFT we're talking about. <bg>

> No, the user or my app won't have admin privileges but still might not
> be too hard to work around.

Y'know, I don't think you'll need admin privs.  Looks like the logged
in user has full access to that folder.  As they should.  You just go
in there and modify the shortcut target to point at your launcher
utility, and you'll be all set.  :-)

It does seem to work.  I just tested modifying a WinZip pinning to
Notepad, and didn't have any problems at all.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
5/3/2010 9:32:20 PM
Mayayana wrote:

> -- |
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>

>   That's interesting. I'd noticed that Quick Launch
> shortcuts weren't working in Win7,

They work.  They're just somewhat hidden.

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
Launch

I created my own QuickLaunch toolbar, and use it with much more
enjoyment than before, because I'm the only guy putting stuff there!
<g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
5/3/2010 9:34:02 PM
| > -- |
| >> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
| >> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
| >>

| >   That's interesting. I'd noticed that Quick Launch
| > shortcuts weren't working in Win7,
|
| They work.  They're just somewhat hidden.
|
| C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
| Launch

   You mean that it will show up if I programmatically
create that folder and drop an LNK into it, and skip the
User Pinned\TaskBar part?
   I had tried it with User Pinned\TaskBar (your first path above),
both per-user and for all users, but it didn't work. The Shell
method seems to work fine, which I can use in an installer,
but it doesn't provide a method for all users.

0
Mayayana
5/3/2010 10:45:35 PM
Mayayana wrote:
>>> -- |
>>>>

>>>   That's interesting. I'd noticed that Quick Launch
>>> shortcuts weren't working in Win7,
>>
>> They work.  They're just somewhat hidden.
>>
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch
>>
>    You mean that it will show up if I programmatically
> create that folder and drop an LNK into it, and skip the
> User Pinned\TaskBar part?

I don't think it's that easy to create.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
5/3/2010 11:19:27 PM
| >> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
| >> Launch
| >>
| >    You mean that it will show up if I programmatically
| > create that folder and drop an LNK into it, and skip the
| > User Pinned\TaskBar part?
|
| I don't think it's that easy to create.
|
| http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

  I see. It's amazing how a little work can make
Windows almost as good as it used to be.

    That doesn't help much for programmatic
links, though. It's just a custom toolbar for one's
own use. It seems that the Shell method of "pinning"
that I posted is the new equivalent of programmatically
putting a link in Quick Launch. (I'm interested in
this to fix the broken option in my installer that
allows people to add a Desktop and/or QL shortcut.)

0
Mayayana
5/4/2010 12:13:37 AM
Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:

>C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>
>Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.

I finally got around to looking at this.   There are two types of
pinning allowed.  The app, ie msaccess.exe, and the actual file, ie
test.mdb.   You can see the msaccess.exe (actually MS Office xxxx) in
the above mentioned folder.

But you can't see the individually pinned files.  I can't see those as
files anywhere inside the user profile.  Or the registry.

I'm not at all sure I want my program to muck with removing the pinned
MS Access shortcut from the taskbar.  Just in case the user is a power
user who legitimately has their own Access files they don't want
others to muck with.   I'd far, far sooner just replace the pinned
file shortcut with the launcher line to my Auto FE Updater exe.

So I'm starting to think those pinned files might be in the NTFS
hidden data space.  You wrote an article on that a while back where
extra file information was stored.

Ah, found it.
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/11/03/inside-alternative-data-streams.aspx
And commented on another article.  <smile>

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
5/12/2010 4:57:17 AM
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>
>> Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>> your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>
> I finally got around to looking at this.   There are two types of
> pinning allowed.  The app, ie msaccess.exe, and the actual file, ie
> test.mdb.   You can see the msaccess.exe (actually MS Office xxxx) in
> the above mentioned folder.

How do you pin a data file to the taskbar?  They seem to be pinned to
the jumplist of an application.  Is that what you mean?

I guess I didn't realize what you had wasn't an executable, but rather
an associated data file.  Hmmmmm...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
5/12/2010 7:11:26 PM
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
>> Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>>
>>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>>
>>> Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at your
>>> launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>>
>> I finally got around to looking at this.   There are two types of
>> pinning allowed.  The app, ie msaccess.exe, and the actual file, ie
>> test.mdb.   You can see the msaccess.exe (actually MS Office xxxx) in
>> the above mentioned folder.
>
> How do you pin a data file to the taskbar?  They seem to be pinned to the
> jumplist of an application.  Is that what you mean?
>
> I guess I didn't realize what you had wasn't an executable, but rather an
> associated data file.  Hmmmmm...

You might be fighting a losing battle.  The pinned datafiles are all
referenced here:

%appdata%\microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations\

But those files are unreadable.  You can figure out which relates to
what you're looking for by scanning through them all for strings.  For
example,

  C:\>find /c "Tony's File"
%appdata%\microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations\*

Deleting the file(s) that contains the sought reference, will remove
*all* the Pins and other files on that application's jumplist.
Probably not where you want to go.  :-(

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
5/12/2010 7:22:51 PM
Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:

>Deleting the file(s) that contains the sought reference, will remove
>*all* the Pins and other files on that application's jumplist.
>Probably not where you want to go.  :-(

Yup, I've asked one question that I very much doubt will work but I'm
going to go the command line argument route on this problem.

That is the first thing the Access MDB/MDE/etc will execute will look
for a special value embedded within the command line argument.  If not
found it will start up my Auto FE Updater exe and exit.  My Auto FE
Updater exe will do it's thing and then start the Access file passing
in the special value embedded within the command line argument.

Two minor problems:

1) If they are using the command line for something they will have to
strip off my special value.  Which will be something simple like
"AutoFEUpdater"

2) If they muck with the Access VBA code I will supply them and the
code doesn't read the special value properly  they could end up in an
infinite loop of the Access file starting my exe which starts the
Access file which starts the exe ....

However I'm going to store the last date/time started of my exe.  If
the next time through it's less than, say, 10 seconds, I'm going to
pop pu a message stating

a) the user has opened the database too many times in the last 10
seconds

2) alternatively the developer is a moron and shouldn't be mucking
with my code I supplied.  <smile>

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
5/12/2010 9:36:14 PM
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Deleting the file(s) that contains the sought reference, will remove
>> *all* the Pins and other files on that application's jumplist.
>> Probably not where you want to go.  :-(
>
> Yup, I've asked one question that I very much doubt will work but I'm
> going to go the command line argument route on this problem.
>
> That is the first thing the Access MDB/MDE/etc will execute will look
> for a special value embedded within the command line argument.  If not
> found it will start up my Auto FE Updater exe and exit.  My Auto FE
> Updater exe will do it's thing and then start the Access file passing
> in the special value embedded within the command line argument.

Sounds like a sensible approach.

> Two minor problems:
>
> 1) If they are using the command line for something they will have to
> strip off my special value.  Which will be something simple like
> "AutoFEUpdater"

"have to"?

> 2) If they muck with the Access VBA code I will supply them and the
> code doesn't read the special value properly  they could end up in an
> infinite loop of the Access file starting my exe which starts the
> Access file which starts the exe ....
>
> However I'm going to store the last date/time started of my exe.  If
> the next time through it's less than, say, 10 seconds, I'm going to
> pop pu a message stating
>
> a) the user has opened the database too many times in the last 10
> seconds
>
> b) alternatively the developer is a moron and shouldn't be mucking
> with my code I supplied.  <smile>

I like Door B, myself.  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Problem with CFTPConnection

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Accessing Windows Office Templates
There are some very nice templates at the Windows Office Template Gallery. I would like to download (mostly Word, but a few Excel) some of these templates, but the format comes out with a ".cab" extension that Office v.X doesn't understand. Is there any way to get these templates? Unfortunately, they make the Mac template archive look very weak. TIA Len Hi Len, Microsoft has a Mac template download page: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/templates.aspx?pid=templates There's a link to the on-line gallery on that page. It looks like a newly re-designed gallery to m...

Access 97 can't resize database window

unable to read file #7

Office installation and Windows 7

About Exit and close window.
Group, I have a dialogue base application. There's an Exit button in it. Eachtime when exit the program by clicking Exit button, fun() and OnOK() executed, but if the window is close by clicking (x) on the upper-right coner, fun() will not be executed. How to make this function--fun()--executed when click (x) button on the upper-right coner? Thanks. Rather than calling your fun() from the Exit event handler, call it from the dialog closing event handler, so that no matter how it is shut down, that method is called, and so is fun(). hope that helps. Dan. "sxy7711" <sxy771...

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

request to solve my problem #5

IE 7 webpage view
How do I make IE7 keep the webpage I want displayed everytime I open it up, without having to resize it everytime? Thanks, RED in NC Try stretching the small window to full size. (Do not use Maximize) Ensure that window is the last one closed and IE should remember the size next time. ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows -Internet Explorer On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 06:27:53 -0500, in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "anglirich" <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote: >How do I make IE7 keep the webpage I want displayed everytime I open it up, &g...

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...

Install ActiveX on Windows XP / IE8
Hi, I created a non-admin installation package to take advantage of the new IE8 features to deploy my ActiveX control. It works perfectly on Windows Vista+ but not on Windows XP (the yellow bar is never displayed). Here is the content of my INF file: [version] signature="$CHICAGO$" AdvancedINF=2.0 [Add.Code] DbCtrlEx.ocx=DbCtrlEx.ocx [Deployment] InstallScope=user [DbCtrlEx.ocx] file-win32-x86=thiscab clsid={97012969-FEFB-4F8F-A03C-67F83D139E8F} RegisterServer=yes FileVersion=1,0,0,1 RedirectToHKCU=yes If I remove the Deployment section it works...

Excel List Sorting Problem (Descending)

How can I export the outline window from Visio?
Having typed in a lot of information, I would like to see it in a "normal" outline view in Word. Is there a way to export the text to Word or just generically? I am using Visio 2007. TIA On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 02:26:02 -0800, tewald <tewald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Having typed in a lot of information, I would like to see it in a "normal" >outline view in Word. Is there a way to export the text to Word or just >generically? I am using Visio 2007. If you want to extract all the text from a diagram then you can use our: http://www.visio-utilitie...

Printing problem in booklet format

problem opening up program/file

Money deluxe 2007 password problem
When I update my bank account transactions I get a message saying that my account was not updated because my password is incorrect. I then go into account info and have to update my password. I save the update, but then it happens again sporadically when I open Money at later times. Is there a way to fix this glitch? ...

Error: msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows
Dear all, I get error mesage "msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows" when preview report. I'm using Access 2000 and Windows 2000. Thanks. Regards, Vensia ...