Where to go for Word and Excel?

Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the
news.microsoft.com server.  Where does one go now for questions about these
and other Office applications?  I know this isn't relevant to this
newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something.

TIA
LAS

0
Laurel

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:56:47 -0400, "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote:

� Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the
� news.microsoft.com server.  Where does one go now for questions about these
� and other Office applications?  I know this isn't relevant to this
� newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something.
�
� TIA
� LAS
�

For developers:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officedev

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
0
Paul
6/10/2010 5:21:21 PM
"Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the
> news.microsoft.com server.  Where does one go now for questions about
> these and other Office applications?  I know this isn't relevant to this
> newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something.

You can sign up at the free USENET server Eternal-September:
http://www.eternal-september.org. It's what I and several other folks in
this group did.

0
Jeff
6/10/2010 5:46:59 PM
Jeff Johnson pretended :
> "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the
>> news.microsoft.com server.  Where does one go now for questions about these
>> and other Office applications?  I know this isn't relevant to this
>> newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something.
>
> You can sign up at the free USENET server Eternal-September:
> http://www.eternal-september.org. It's what I and several other folks in this
> group did.

Laurel, to amplify on Jeff's suggestion, most of the m.p.* hierarchy
that Microsoft used to host continues to exist on the free usenet.  So,
sign up for an account at E-S, log onto their server, and you should
find the groups you lost!  :-)

0
Karl
6/10/2010 6:36:02 PM
In article <#wRDr3LCLHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, FakeMail@Hotmail.com
says...

> Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the
> news.microsoft.com server.  Where does one go now for questions about these
> and other Office applications?  I know this isn't relevant to this
> newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something.
>
> TIA
> LAS

ALL newsgroups are going to disappear from Microsoft's servers by the
end of the year.  Try getting the same groups on Eternal September or
another 3rd party news hosting service.  That's where I'm getting this
group from.

David
6/10/2010 6:42:07 PM
I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express?
Can you suggest some other services?

I obviously know almost nothing about the structure of newsgroups.  Do those
newsgroups that I used to use still exist?  Just not accessible via
MicroSoft?

"David Kerber" <dkerber@WarrenRogersAssociates.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <#wRDr3LCLHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, FakeMail@Hotmail.com
> says...
>>
>> Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the
>> news.microsoft.com server.  Where does one go now for questions about
>> these
>> and other Office applications?  I know this isn't relevant to this
>> newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something.
>>
>> TIA
>> LAS
>
> ALL newsgroups are going to disappear from Microsoft's servers by the
> end of the year.  Try getting the same groups on Eternal September or
> another 3rd party news hosting service.  That's where I'm getting this
> group from.

Laurel
6/10/2010 7:58:51 PM
Thanks, but what I need is "newuser" for both.  Or "general."

"Paul Clement" <UseAdddressAtEndofMessage@swspectrum.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:56:47 -0400, "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> � Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the
> � news.microsoft.com server.  Where does one go now for questions about
> these
> � and other Office applications?  I know this isn't relevant to this
> � newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something.
> �
> � TIA
> � LAS
> �
>
> For developers:
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officedev
>

> Paul
> ~~~~
> Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

0
Laurel
6/10/2010 8:00:00 PM
Laurel pretended :
> I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
> thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express?

Yes, of course.  Just add another server, and point it at
news.eternal-september.org, then download all the groups and subscribe
to those of interest.

> I obviously know almost nothing about the structure of newsgroups.  Do those
> newsgroups that I used to use still exist?  Just not accessible via
> MicroSoft?

Yep, almost certainly.

0
Karl
6/10/2010 8:09:23 PM
Hi Laurel
What problem are you having with eternal-september.org.
Maybe we can help, I'm using it and it works fine. I've got Windows Vista with
Windows Mail.
Regards
Cimjet
> I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
> thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express? Can
> you suggest some other services?
>
> I obviously know almost nothing about the structure of newsgroups.  Do those
> newsgroups that I used to use still exist?  Just not accessible via MicroSoft?
>
> "David Kerber" <dkerber@WarrenRogersAssociates.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article <#wRDr3LCLHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, FakeMail@Hotmail.com
>> says...
>>>
>>> Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the
>>> news.microsoft.com server.  Where does one go now for questions about these
>>> and other Office applications?  I know this isn't relevant to this
>>> newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> LAS
>>
>> ALL newsgroups are going to disappear from Microsoft's servers by the
>> end of the year.  Try getting the same groups on Eternal September or
>> another 3rd party news hosting service.  That's where I'm getting this
>> group from.

Cimjet
6/10/2010 8:13:22 PM
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:00:00 -0400, "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote:

� Thanks, but what I need is "newuser" for both.  Or "general."
�

The below link was in the newsgroup closing announcement:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeword

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
0
Paul
6/10/2010 8:34:25 PM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
> Laurel pretended :
>> I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
>> thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express?
>
> Yes, of course.  Just add another server, and point it at
> news.eternal-september.org, then download all the groups and subscribe to
> those of interest.

Guess that would not unlock all groups, they might be only accessible from
an ES account.

>> I obviously know almost nothing about the structure of newsgroups.  Do
>> those newsgroups that I used to use still exist?  Just not accessible via
>> MicroSoft?
>
> Yep, almost certainly.

/Henning

0
Henning
6/10/2010 8:37:34 PM
Henning laid this down on his screen :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
>> Laurel pretended :
>>> I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
>>> thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express?
>>
>> Yes, of course.  Just add another server, and point it at
>> news.eternal-september.org, then download all the groups and subscribe to
>> those of interest.
>
> Guess that would not unlock all groups, they might be only accessible from an
> ES account.

Right, she'll need to use the credentials they give her.

0
Karl
6/10/2010 8:40:37 PM
"Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
> thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express? Can
> you suggest some other services?
>
> I obviously know almost nothing about the structure of newsgroups.  Do those
> newsgroups that I used to use still exist?  Just not accessible via MicroSoft?

Laurel,

your problems with Eternal-September:
Did you go first to their website and sign-up there?
Did you provide a valid e-mail address?
If yes, did you get the registration mail from them?
Sometimes a newly registered user can't log on the
server, in my case I had to wait over 12 hours, while
others had no problem at all.

But after that initial delay no problems since.

Helmut.

0
Helmut
6/10/2010 8:47:53 PM
on 6/10/2010, Helmut Meukel supposed :
> "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
>> thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express?
>> Can you suggest some other services?
>>
>> I obviously know almost nothing about the structure of newsgroups.  Do
>> those newsgroups that I used to use still exist?  Just not accessible via
>> MicroSoft?
>>

> Laurel,
>
> your problems with Eternal-September:
> Did you go first to their website and sign-up there?
> Did you provide a valid e-mail address?
> If yes, did you get the registration mail from them?
> Sometimes a newly registered user can't log on the
> server, in my case I had to wait over 12 hours, while
> others had no problem at all.
>
> But after that initial delay no problems since.
>
> Helmut.

She took it offline, and seems to be in...

0
Karl
6/10/2010 8:59:56 PM
Thanks.  I'm all set now.  Seeing all the old favorites in eternal-september
via OE.

Do you know the origin of the name "eternal-september?"

"Cimjet" <cimjet@newsgroup.org> wrote in message
> Hi Laurel
> What problem are you having with eternal-september.org.
> Maybe we can help, I'm using it and it works fine. I've got Windows Vista
> with Windows Mail.
> Regards
> Cimjet
> "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
>> thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express?
>> Can you suggest some other services?
>>
>> I obviously know almost nothing about the structure of newsgroups.  Do
>> those newsgroups that I used to use still exist?  Just not accessible via
>> MicroSoft?
>>
>> "David Kerber" <dkerber@WarrenRogersAssociates.invalid> wrote in message
>>> In article <#wRDr3LCLHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, FakeMail@Hotmail.com
>>> says...

>>> ALL newsgroups are going to disappear from Microsoft's servers by the
>>> end of the year.  Try getting the same groups on Eternal September or
>>> another 3rd party news hosting service.  That's where I'm getting this
>>> group from.

Laurel
6/10/2010 9:02:52 PM
Hi Laurel
> Do you know the origin of the name "eternal-september?"
Sorry don't know.
Glad to see you running.
Regards
Cimjet
> Thanks.  I'm all set now.  Seeing all the old favorites in eternal-september
> via OE.
>
> Do you know the origin of the name "eternal-september?"
>
> "Cimjet" <cimjet@newsgroup.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Laurel
>> What problem are you having with eternal-september.org.
>> Maybe we can help, I'm using it and it works fine. I've got Windows Vista
>> with Windows Mail.
>> Regards
>> Cimjet
>> "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm having problems with Eternal September (see previous reply in this
>>> thread).  Can I use other 3rd party hosting services via Outlook Express?
>>> Can you suggest some other services?
>>>
>>> I obviously know almost nothing about the structure of newsgroups.  Do those
>>> newsgroups that I used to use still exist?  Just not accessible via
>>> MicroSoft?
>>>
>>> "David Kerber" <dkerber@WarrenRogersAssociates.invalid> wrote in message

Cimjet
6/10/2010 9:11:34 PM
Hi Laurel,

Laurel schrieb:
> Thanks.  I'm all set now.  Seeing all the old favorites in eternal-september
> via OE.
>
> Do you know the origin of the name "eternal-september?"

The name refers to an old Newsgroups insider joke. Once upon a time (it
was in a month following september) several popular ISPs (AFAIR AOL was
among them) set up their own newsservers and such made the usenet
publicly available to the masses. Since then, the joke ? goes, that
Usenet went down, at least in quality of the posts there, because those
people had no idea of how Usenet works and how the rules are. It would
have been better, if the preceeding september would have lasted for ever
(which implies that it would have been better not to open the Usenet to
the masses).

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/
MS Newsgruppen Alternativen -> http://www.prosource.de/ms-ng-umzug.html
0
Ulrich
6/10/2010 9:44:04 PM
PS

If you look closely at the home page of www.external-september.org, you
will see that there the current time is counted from origin september 1993.

Currently we are at Thu Sep 6127 23:48:22 +02:00 1993, which seems to be
the 6127th day after 1st of september 1993. :-)

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/
MS Newsgruppen Alternativen -> http://www.prosource.de/ms-ng-umzug.html
0
Ulrich
6/10/2010 9:50:58 PM
Laurel wrote:
> Do you know the origin of the name "eternal-september?"

Eternal September (also September that never ended)[1]  is a Usenet
slang expression, coined by Dave Fischer, for the period beginning
September 1993.[2]  The expression encapsulates the belief that an
endless influx of new users (newbies) since that date has continuously
degraded standards of discourse and behavior on Usenet and the wider
Internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/10/2010 10:27:04 PM
: Thanks, but what I need is "newuser" for both.  Or "general."
:

Good luck with that.  More efforts on MSFT's part to FUD you into their
collective.  Web boards should take care of that since they have no logicla
order to them.  Or purpose.

You also need an official MSFT ID collar and allow access for MSFT's
outsourced ad server(s) to access your computer.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk!  Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

PPS

Ok, I think I checked it now. May be you are afraid to use a news server
that is driven by Al Quaida? No, it isn't. The name eternal september
does not refer to the twin towers incident.

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/
MS Newsgruppen Alternativen -> http://www.prosource.de/ms-ng-umzug.html
0
Ulrich
6/11/2010 1:09:19 AM
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:41:17 -0400, "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:

 :
�
� Good luck with that.  More efforts on MSFT's part to FUD you into their
� collective.  Web boards should take care of that since they have no logicla
� order to them.  Or purpose.
�
� You also need an official MSFT ID collar and allow access for MSFT's
� outsourced ad server(s) to access your computer.

It's where some of the long time Word experts hang out. So if you really want help...

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
0
Paul
6/11/2010 12:29:51 PM

| allow access for MSFT's
| outsourced ad server(s) to access your computer.

  What's that? You mean the forums have ads and
the ad server is setting a cookie? That's a new
low, if Microsoft is selling ads on their own website.

   I don't allow cookies and block 3rd-party images,
as well as using a HOSTS file, so I wasn't aware
of any ads.

0
Mayayana

<-----------------------------------------

: On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:41:17 -0400, "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:
:
: :
:
: Good luck with that.  More efforts on MSFT's part to FUD you into their
: collective.  Web boards should take care of that since they have no
logicla
: order to them.  Or purpose.
:
: You also need an official MSFT ID collar and allow access for MSFT's
: outsourced ad server(s) to access your computer.
:
: It's where some of the long time Word experts hang out. So if you really
want help...
:
:
: Paul
: ~~~~
: Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:36:17 -0400, "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

�   What's that? You mean the forums have ads and
� the ad server is setting a cookie? That's a new
� low, if Microsoft is selling ads on their own website.
�
�    I don't allow cookies and block 3rd-party images,
� as well as using a HOSTS file, so I wasn't aware
� of any ads.
�

Neither is he. There are no ads.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
0
Paul
6/11/2010 4:53:35 PM
on 6/11/2010, Paul Clement supposed :
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:36:17 -0400, "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
> wrote:
>
> �   What's that? You mean the forums have ads and
> � the ad server is setting a cookie? That's a new
> � low, if Microsoft is selling ads on their own website.
> �
> �    I don't allow cookies and block 3rd-party images,
> � as well as using a HOSTS file, so I wasn't aware
> � of any ads.
> �
>
> Neither is he. There are no ads.

HA!  Every user gets to craft whatever sig they want, include imagery.
They're openly inviting abuse with that. <eg>

I suppose it's semantics to argue whether their own logos are branding
or advertising.  Not sure that's a distinction that makes a difference?

0
Karl
6/11/2010 5:22:40 PM
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:22:40 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:

� > �    I don't allow cookies and block 3rd-party images,
� > � as well as using a HOSTS file, so I wasn't aware
� > � of any ads.
� > �
� >
� > Neither is he. There are no ads.
�
� HA!  Every user gets to craft whatever sig they want, include imagery.
� They're openly inviting abuse with that. <eg>

Now, what sort of individual would do such a thing? ;-)

� I suppose it's semantics to argue whether their own logos are branding
� or advertising.  Not sure that's a distinction that makes a difference?
�

I don't think you will find many software vendor web sites that don't have links to their own
product pages.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
0
Paul
6/11/2010 5:55:23 PM
Paul Clement explained :
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:22:40 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>
> � > �    I don't allow cookies and block 3rd-party images,
> � > � as well as using a HOSTS file, so I wasn't aware
> � > � of any ads.
> � > �
> � >
> � > Neither is he. There are no ads.
> �
> � HA!  Every user gets to craft whatever sig they want, include imagery.
> � They're openly inviting abuse with that. <eg>
>
> Now, what sort of individual would do such a thing? ;-)

Hard to imagine, but where there's a way... <g>

> � I suppose it's semantics to argue whether their own logos are branding
> � or advertising.  Not sure that's a distinction that makes a difference?
>
> I don't think you will find many software vendor web sites that don't have
> links to their own product pages.

Nice you made the distinction there between "vendor" sites and "user
support communities."

0
Karl
6/11/2010 6:24:08 PM
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:24:08 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:

�
� > � I suppose it's semantics to argue whether their own logos are branding
� > � or advertising.  Not sure that's a distinction that makes a difference?
� >
� > I don't think you will find many software vendor web sites that don't have
� > links to their own product pages.
�
� Nice you made the distinction there between "vendor" sites and "user
� support communities."
�

Well, yeah. The webified "user support communities" generally have several third-party ads rolling.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
0
Paul
6/11/2010 6:53:45 PM
Paul Clement pretended :
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:24:08 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>
> �
> � > � I suppose it's semantics to argue whether their own logos are branding
> � > � or advertising.  Not sure that's a distinction that makes a difference?
> � >
> � > I don't think you will find many software vendor web sites that don't
> have  � > links to their own product pages.
> �
> � Nice you made the distinction there between "vendor" sites and "user
> � support communities."
> �
>
> Well, yeah. The webified "user support communities" generally have several
> third-party ads rolling.

Unlike here, thankfully.

0
Karl
6/11/2010 9:34:51 PM
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:34:51 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:

� > � > � I suppose it's semantics to argue whether their own logos are branding
� > � > � or advertising.  Not sure that's a distinction that makes a difference?
� > � >
� > � > I don't think you will find many software vendor web sites that don't
� > have  � > links to their own product pages.
� > �
� > � Nice you made the distinction there between "vendor" sites and "user
� > � support communities."
� > �
� >
� > Well, yeah. The webified "user support communities" generally have several
� > third-party ads rolling.
�
� Unlike here, thankfully.
�

Not if you don't count the signatures used by some folks. ;-)

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
0
Paul
6/15/2010 12:18:13 PM
Paul Clement brought next idea :
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:34:51 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>
> � > � > � I suppose it's semantics to argue whether their own logos are
> branding  � > � > � or advertising.  Not sure that's a distinction that makes
> a difference? � > � >
> � > � > I don't think you will find many software vendor web sites that don't
> � > have  � > links to their own product pages.
> � > �
> � > � Nice you made the distinction there between "vendor" sites and "user
> � > � support communities."
> � > �
> � >
> � > Well, yeah. The webified "user support communities" generally have
> several  � > third-party ads rolling.
> �
> � Unlike here, thankfully.
> �
>
> Not if you don't count the signatures used by some folks. ;-)

Yeah, like that Dick Grier character... <gd&r>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl

Excel 97 dropdown function box
The dropdown function box on the Formula Bar show formulas but will no longer show "More Functions". How can I get this item back? ...

generate report thru pracle to excell
Recently i upgraded to ms office 2003 since then I'm not able to generate reports thru oracle unto excell (online ). But when I log in an administrator in the local system I'm able to generate the report. the same does not happen with domain users ...

Vertical Header in Excel
Is there a way to make a header in excel run down the side of the spreadsheet (vertical header)? You can freeze panes so that certain columns are always visible. Is that what you meant? If yes, then make sure the column(s) that should be visible is showing. Then select the column to the right and window|Freeze Panes (in xl2003 menus) For instance if I wanted column A to be always visible, I would make sure column A is visible to start. Then select column B and window|freeze Panes. On 05/18/2010 09:09, Erika wrote: > Is there a way to make a header in excel run do...

finding the area under the curve in a graph in excel
Need help having excel calculate the total area under the curve of a graph in excel. Have a look at Bernard Liengme's website: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/ HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Need help having excel calculate the total area under the curve of a graph in >excel. >. > ...

Excel 2003 file freezes laptop
I took a laptop away from the office and tried to open a large spreadsheet on the local C: drive. Each time I tried the laptop froze and had to be rebooted. When I connected back to the LAN at work, and opened the same file on the local C: drive I had no problems. What could cause this? If there is any corruption is there a way to decompile or something as you would in Access? Thanks, Mich ...

How to slant cells in Excel on top of chart at about 45 degrees
Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree angle with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? ckricci Wrote: > Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree > angle > with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? HI ckricci Try Format > Cells > Alignment Tab and set the Orientation to 45 degress -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Pasting Graphs as Pictures in Excel
In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to past Excel graphs as pictures within Excel. I know you can paste special as pictures within PPT, but is it possible to do it within Excel???? Not sure if that can be done, what I do is cop the graph, open mspaint paste, select it again copy and paste back into excel, it does it as an image -- -John Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "andy.hogan@gmail.com" wrote: > In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to > past Excel gra...

Displaying a dataset or datatable in Excel
There's something I think ought to be easy, but I can't find a way to do it. Either there's something wrong with the way I'm searching, or there's a reason it can't be done easily. What I want is to create an excel addin that, when the user opens a spreadsheet , it goes out and fetches some data from a database, and displays it in a table. Pretty straightforward. Here's some code: void Application_WorkbookOpen(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook wb) {//I've also attached this to other events. The "open" event isn't...

Syntax for Re-registration of Excell
Windows 2000, Excel v8. Does anyone know the syntax for re-registration with Windows? We get a file already open error every time we launch a SS without opening the app first. Had a similiar problem with Word and fixed it with Winword /r. Thanks! Hi first you may check: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Windows 2000, Excel v8. Does anyone know the syntax for > re-registration with Windows? We get a file already open > error every time we launch a SS without opening t...

Data changes when Analyzed with Excel
I have a query with 3 tables that represent master item list, count qty and as qty. When I look at the results in Query, all is well and accurate yet when I select Analyze with Excel, values change. For example, if a record shows zero qty in the as of field and zero quantity in the count field, I get a value in one or both of the fields that origianlly were zero. Other than linking the tables and grouping by master item list (to show all parts regardless of qty's), there are no formulas or expressions in this query. One of the tables is linked to a FoxPro table via ODBC driver. ...

Recovery excel file
Anybody knows if there is any free tools to recover a advanced excel file (using macro, graphics, formulas, and several formats)???????? Tks, Marcelo Rayol ...

Printing in excel always comes out in bold even tho bold not on
When I print in excel my work always comes out in bold even though the bold is not switched on. Any suggestions?? It could be a printer setting. Does it print in bold from other applications? Regards, Fred "Scarlett50" <Scarlett50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF3BAEA1-4D22-449E-BB8F-31DD8855AF20@microsoft.com... > When I print in excel my work always comes out in bold even though the > bold > is not switched on. Any suggestions?? No only when I have to type a report in excel - the actual report is ok on other computers! but...

Powerpoint with Excel formatted information
My team has an excel file with Text and Icons in a status report format. We use it to copy and insert paste into Powerpoint. After copying into Powerpoint, I try to select it and edit but powerpoint gives an error that says: "There isn't enough memory available to read the Excel file" Other team members use this same excel template and powerpoint and they can edit the information after it is copied to powerpoint. And I can use their files and they work fine. Only one team member has this issue so somehow this person's excel file is using a massi...

how do I open excel workbook If i forget my workbook password
I made programm with a lot of formuals so I've put password on the workbook, because I did not wanted to earase formulas accidently,but now I can't open it because I forget the password. Thanks for help Hi search Google for 'Excel password remover' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "av8rart" <av8rart@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D2443918-FEF4-41E6-92C4-9B19A293778A@microsoft.com... > I made programm with a lot of formuals so I've put password on the workbook, >...

Excel calculates wrong ????
I have had no luck figuring this out... I have a list of 8 positive and negative numbers that 2 decimal place each. The numbers sum to zero confirmed by a calculator, however exce sums them to (2.55654899E12). I do not know why excel calculates the with a small value left that is denoted by scientific notation. I checked the value of each number to ensure that it did not includ any extra decimals, and I even re-typed them. I have had this happen with several other lists of numbers that are n brainers to calculate, and excel added extra scientific notation to th total. I have no idea why ...

Output to excel ==> replace worksheet
Usually out to excel will replace a workbook.Can we make it to replace worksheet only.Thank's "shiro" <shiro@myname?.com> wrote in message news:umONlZiRIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Usually out to excel will replace a workbook.Can we make it > to replace worksheet only.Thank's How about, just replacing the contents of a cell, or cells? Dim appXL As Object Dim wkb As Object Dim wks As Object Set appXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set wkb = appXL.Workbooks.Open("C:\MyFolder\MyWorkBook.xls") Set wks = wkb.Worksheets(1) wks.Cell...

IN EXCEL, WHEN I CLICK ONA SINGLE CELL It HIGHLIGHTS WHOLE Page
please help Hi maybe: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:36180425-96C2-4368-9DE0-3E60741154FF@microsoft.com... > please help Just click on a cell and nothing else? Or perhaps you mean click on a cell then as you move the cursor around other cells are selected like the cursor is stuck? If the former, you must have some event code which selects the cells or you are clicking on the gray box at intersect of rows and columns(top left above ro...

excel v4
Does anyone know when Version 4 of Excel was introduced and/or retired http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:042201c39e64$4f4d9ab0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know when Versi...

help with Excel Chart, Series name
Hello, I am using ORACLE OLE2 package to print a series bar graph in excel. I need to rename "Series Name" that comes out in as a char in excel. By defual the series are names as Series1, Series2, Series3,.....SeriesN. How can I access the handle to "Series Name" which help me change its name. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks you, Bilal Bilal, Manally, you do this with Chart - Source data - Series tab. There's a series name box. Select the series to be edited in the drop-down at the left first. It may have a cell reference currently in it, or you can...

Excel spradsheet automation help
there are 3 sheets in an excel spreadsheet say the names are 1,2 AND3 layouts ar ethere for all 3 sheets. the first sheet is used as input and based on certain fields/columns in the first sheet i need to populate entries in the second and 3 rd sheet. teh main purpose is taht based on the first sheet the 2 and 3 sheet should be automatically filled. wat kind of formula / macro should i be using .. im new to this and jsut know to create macro. CAn anybody help ON either Sheet 2 or Sheet 3, you can put this formula in any cell and it will return whatever value is in cell A1 on sheet 1. =Sh...

Active X control in Excel 2003
I have is=nstalled a pen pad on my pc which usies an active x control in Excel to enable me to draw in it. Everytime I start Excel it asks me if I was to run this Active X control. Is there a way of stopping it asking me every time? Thanks Shane Excel 2003, Windows XP home Hi, I think if you lowered your security level, it wouldn't ask, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. It prevents unauthorized and possibly dangerous macros from running and causing damage. I'd put up with the nuisance. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I have is=nstalled a pen pad on my pc which usi...

gridlines from excel not working?
im trying to make outlook print gridlines. i copy a piece of an excel worksheet into an outlook email. the gridlines appear ok. but when i go to print- they dont appear on the preview or the print out. what do i need to do to make them visible? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ also when i paste the same clipboard contents into wordpad and select print preview, the gridlines work! the only way i can figure how to get the gridlines to work in outlook is t...

Mac problems opening excel files when connected to two windows shares

Excel Capital Letters
I have a large worksheet with many columns, however, all the data is in lower case letters. Is there a function or a way to change all the data into capital letters? The data is demographic info only. Thanks inadvance. In an adjacent column, enter the formula =UPPER(A1) and copy down as far as you need to go. You can the copy and paste this data over your original data if desired. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Humbertt" <Humbertt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:903F474E-6946-4...